G-400 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 05/28/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: G-400
The G-400 features a classic double cutaway shape with 2 humbuckers, chrome hardware, 24.75 in. scale, Mahogany neck and body, and Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoidal inlays.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 8.4
reviews (67) pictures (6) 220 comments vote for this gear:
G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2006

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: I bought this guitar from a seller advertising on Ebay about 4 months ago now, not one of the Brand New models as it was built in 2000/2001 as far as I know, presumably in Korea. Now lets get the basics out of the way- Standard 22-fret rosewood fretboard, two humbucking pickups, chrome hardware, mahogany body with a very beautiful cherry red finish. The general style and shape of the body is the most accurate match to the Gibson SG in my view, and looks a hell of a lot better than other guitars in it's price range. Epiphone humbucker pickups as standard, but were made by Gibson specifically for Epiphone, before the more recent models where the pickups are made by Epiphone theselves. Standard Epiphone tuners. 2 volume and 2 tone controls, and a 3-way selector. I have yet to start modifying this guitar, and I am considering a Seymour Duncan SH-6 Distortion pickup to add a little more oomph to the guitar, as well as some Grover tuners as I have had a bit of trouble with the g-string coming out of tune recently. // 7

Sound: I play quite a lot of modern rock and alternative music, some punk and a little metal, and find that this guitar can cope quite well with the expectations set. I use two different amplifiers, a 15W with distortion and a 60W which can only output clean tones without any major effects. I find myself using the 15W most often with this guitar, it produces a full, solid tone on heavy distortion, and can manage a reasonably satisfactory clean tone on this small amplifier. However on the larger 60W amp, the bridge pickup can create a much nicer clean tone, however not as well as it can produce distorted ones. The accessibility to the higher frets is very good, one of the best I have played so far. The higher fret notes sound just as clear and full as the lower ones, making this guitar near perfect for fast solo work, however I found that the action of the guitar when purchased was un-naturally high, possibly the previous owner's preference, but I had to lower the action by quite a long way to achieve a comfortable setup. Overall, the standard humbucking pickups are good, and produce rich, full tones that can cope well with most music styles, from heavy rock to blues. However, if you are looking for a guitar with a very fat, powerful output, it would be worth spending a little extra time and expense on upgrading the pickups to something a little more expensive. The sound created from the pickups are very good compared to some other guitars in competition with the G400. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar from the seller, second hand, there were no major flaws considering the guitar is now 5 years old. I am unable to comment on the factory setup of the guitar for the above reason, but the action as I stated above was very high possibly the owner's preference. The action can be lowered reasonably far without creating fret-buzz, and the pickups seem to be adjusted well. It is overall a very quiet guitar when adjusting/selecting pickups, and all the hardware is still perfect. The guitar is reasonably light, and doesn't strain my shoulders too badly when standing, compared to my ancient 30 year old Encore Coaster which is unbearably heavy even after 15 minutes of playing standing up. As for the body of the guitar the wood is still of very good quality, and shows no signs of cracking or weakness. I love the finish of the G-400, the glossy, rich cherry red colour compliments the deep wood grain visible underneath, creating a multi-toned finish and one of the most beautiful reds I have ever seen, especially in sunlight. The only flaw with this guitar is the jack plug- which seems to have been repaired. The actual jack must have become very loose (I think that because the jack lead enters the guitar at 90 degrees to the body, the lead must have been pulled, putting more pressure on the wood holding the jack plug in place). The jack is now being held in place by a square piece of black plastic, screwed into the wood of the body, and holding the plug with a nut. This has created a small weakness and slight chipping of the wood, but I managed to repair it using a mixture of wood filler applied from inside the back panel of the guitar, where the jack is now screwed in place. I was going to get this professionally repaired but hasn't been a big issue with the guitar as yet. Overall very good quality finish and fit, and has good action to play when set up according to your playing preference. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The electronics and hardware of the guitar seem very durable, however the 3-way selector is quite flimsy and probably wouldn't withstand heavy handling. The G400 is very neck-heavy, so a lot of care has to be taken when playing standing up- it's best to make sure you always have a hold on the neck. I realised today that investing in good quality strap locks is a great idea as I witnessed my guitar headstock divebomb to the floor with a rather loud smash, when the strap at the neck end decided it wanted to break free. The result of this not much. The finish is still perfect on the headstock and everything is still intact, suprisingly, as my first imperssions of the finish durability were quite inexpectant, there seemed to be lots of scratches over the body when I purchased it, and one small ding where the glossy varnish/lacquer has a dent like a small ripple on the fron of the body, not too noticeable. The main flaw with the finish is near the strap button on the back of the body next to the neck a semicircular set of many scratches about 2 inches in diameter is visible from the guitar strap that the previous owner used, constantly being ground against the body of the guitar. At least it isn't noticeable when playing. Overall, the guitar still looks beautiful with no major flaws, and the scratches are only visible on close inspection. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing for around one year now, and find that this guitar is almost perfect for me. Playing mostly modern rock and punk music, I feel that the neck rythm pickup can manage to create heavier, distorted sounds that suit this music. I can imagine that with a larger amplifier that supports distortion, the guitar would be perfectly suited. I own two other guitars that are cheaper and made by Encore, the G400 is definately leagues ahead of the other two. If it were to be used for gigging, it would definately be my first choice, however not up to performance with the more expensive Gibson models which I would suggest for more experienced players than myself. If I were to have my money back and buy another guitar, I would probably choose the same model again, and definately the earlier models from around 200/2001 due to the Gibson made pickups. If you are a new beginner, I wouldn't suggest getting this as your very first guitar, as I find that I progress much more quickly on my 13 Encore guitar, (yes, 13 only) as I find it much more relaxed and comfortable for playing. I feel that the guitar would be suitable for people that are moving onto a higher level guitar, and people playing a few local gigs etc. but not professional players requiring an instrument that meets the high standards they would expect, and that the Gibson would be a better choice. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: The Rock King, on july 19, 2007

Purchased from: Cecere's Music

Features: It has two alnico humbucker pickups, chrome hardware, a 24.75" scale, a set (glued on, not bolt on (better)) neck, and trapezoid finer inlay. It's a solid body guitar, available in cherry or ebony finish. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with passive electronics. The pickups have an individual Volume and Tone knob each. Well, that's the "features". Boring I know, read on. // 10

Sound: I play mainly, punk, rock, alternative, some blues, a little bit of metal and the odd pop. This guitar can handle it all. I used to use it through a 10Watt Drive amp and it managed fine. I know use it through a Marshall MG50DFX and it kills. It can produce an amazing dirty sound perfect for playing songs ranging from Blink 182 to AC/DC to Metallica. The sound can vary from bright and crunchy, to dull and mellow. There is no unwanted noise either. It sounds incredible clean also, with a clean crisp tone. The dirty channel is better than the clean but with some fiddling, you can achieve a very nice clean tone also. I play mainly on the bridge pickup with my volume and tone at 10. For a very bluesy, creamy, thick solo sound I play on the neck pickup (which gives a ridiculously warm sound) with the Volume at 10 and the Tone at 0. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I could play this straight out of the box. The action was perfect. The pickups were setup beautifully. There were no flaws in the guitar what'soever, I did however replace the strings asap. All the hardware was fit perfectly and the finish is unbelievably durable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is extremely durable. I have gigged with it without a backup and it does just fine. The strap buttons are solid but I would advise getting some strap locks. I have knocked it around many times with no sign of damage. This guitar will last me a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar matches the types of music I play perfectly. I've been playing one year and I couldn't have asked for more in a first guitar. If it was stolen I'd definitely buy it again. The one and only drawback is the strap button behind the neck which causes the headstock to floor dive, but this is the case with most SGs. Although this is the "cheaper" model of a Gibson SG, I think it competes quite nicely and runs laps around other guitars in the same price range. This makes an amazing first guitar and unless you are playing in front of 1000+ people on a daily basis, this guitar will suffice Live just fine. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: Blompcube, on december 04, 2006

Purchased from: Music Plus

Features: The particular guitar I'm reviewing is a 2004 Korean G-400. It has like most SGs 22-frets and a rosewood fretboard. The thin body makes the guitar a little too light because the neck weighs the whole thing down, that's the only negative thing I have to say about it really. The controls are simple, a 3-way selector to switch between 2 humbuckers, and 2 volume and tone controls. A simple but effective config. I even managed to blag a gig-bag, although this wasn't meant to be included. // 8

Sound: This guitar sounds great through almost any amp if you want to play any sort of rock and metal, because it has a full sound. It won't cut through too well on clean channels, I keep turning the treble on my amps up to 10 and wishing it went up to 11. Great for a distorted sound, not so good otherwise. There's almost no noise from it no matter how much fuzz I put it through. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup of the guitar was ok, although I had to fix the intonation, it was set very sharp making the guitar sound out of tune on the higher frets. The finish on the fretboard is very rough, but nothing major is wrong. After a while the pickup selector got very noisy but this was just dust in it that was easily fixed. apart from those things it was perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has survived some heavy metal rehersals where it has been severely bashed and still has no damage, not even to the finish. Stays in tune well, and is very reliable. I don't have a backup for the rich tone this guitar has, and hopefully I won't need one, I would take this guitar alone to a gig if it was all I needed. // 10

Overall Impression: I play blues/rock styles mainly. This is good for songs that need a bit more power in the guitar than my Fender can deliver. I have been playing guitar for a long time, and this was the first electric guitar I bought. If this guitar was stolen or lost I would buy another one if I can afford it (I know anyone can get one cheaper than I did). I chose this guitar ahead of a Burns Brian may replica and a Fender tele, it just felt like a better quality guitar. The only thing I don't like is the balance. The neck outweighs the body so if you let go of the neck it will flop down towards the floor. Other than that it's a great guitar. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: Johnny Blade, on june 08, 2006

Purchased from: Buzz Music

Features: The G-400 features a classic double cutaway shape with 2 humbuckers, chrome hardware, 24.75" scale, Mahogany neck and body, and Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoidal inlays. // 9

Sound: I play Black Sabbath and my own music so this guitar suits that well. I don't use it much anymore, it is now a backup guitar. The amp I use with this is a Laney GH50L 4X12 cabinet. A Korg AX10G Effects Processor handles all the effects that I use such as delays and chorus effects. I also use a Vox Brit Boost and a Zakk Wylde Wah. This guitar actually surprised me with the sound capabilities. The pickups in this guitar are actually pretty good. A little muddy but not too bad. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up fine from the factory. The action was low just how I like it and the pickups were exactly where I would want them. The guitar did not contain any flaws whotsoever. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Well this guitar isn't used for live playing it is the backup. The hardware dose seem like it will last. The strap buttons are very solid. I think this guitar will be around as long as me. // 8

Overall Impression: This is a good match for the music I play. It seems to be really good for clean tones so that is what I use it for now. I leave the heavy songs for my Gibson Tony Iommi SG. I have been playing for 6 years now and own a few SGs, 2 Epiphone, 2 Gibson SGs and 1 J&D SG. If it were lost or stolen I probably would get another one or maybe the G-400 Vintage. The only thing I hate about it is that the colour shows up all the fingerprints, but that's just what you get I suppose. I did compare this to a Standard Gibson SG but it was a little out of my price range at the time. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 08, 2007

Purchased from: local dealer

Features: Mine was made in china, late 2005, it has 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboad and mahogany neck and body, the finish is transparent cherry red which looks pretty cool, the tune-o-matica bridge gives it great sustain, two alnico humbuckers with two tone, two volume and three way selector, grover tuners. // 10

Sound: I mostly play metal and hard rock but it sounds perfect doing any style, I run it through a DigiTech multifx and a Laney amp, the neck pickup has a very good tone for soloing and the neck pickup when in clean channel has a very nice clear soun, but crank the gin and it has a very, vey fat and owerful sound, perfect for metal, this is probably the moost versatile guitar I have played on, it's perfect for any style. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with a good setup from de factory, the action was low but I lowered it even more and it's perfect, the neck is fast and very confortable, the pickups height also came perfect, no buzz no nothing, totally flaweless, perfect as it came and it stays in tunning for a long time. // 10

Reliability & Durability: excellent for Live playing, great sound at great volume, very durable hardware, since the strap button is at the rear of the body the neck keeps going down so it might fall, no need for a backup with this guitar, totally reliable, never had a problem and the finish is great, flaweless and it won't scatch. // 9

Overall Impression: Since I play metal I mostly usea the gain on 10 and there's a little buzz but that's from the amp, I own another epi and they are both great, if lost or stolen I would not hesitate about buyin another one, I love every single thing on this guitar excepting the rear strap button, when at the store I played both this and a Gibson SG Standard and there's no reason for it costing like four times less, I would still buy it if it was twice it's price. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: sektor47, on november 05, 2007

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: The guitar was made in Korea in 1998. It has 22 frets, the whole body is made of korina type wood. It has a rosewood fretboard. Grover tuners, Tune-O-Matic stopbar / bridge. Came with unknown model of Dimazrio passive pickups. 3-way pickup selector, with 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs. Pearl trapezoid fret inlays. // 9

Sound: The guitar definetly suits my music style. I play classic rock, blues, and hard rock, and the guitar is definetly a beast for all genres. I am currently using it with a Marshall MG100HDFX half-stack. The guitar gets a bit muddy at times, but that's because of the pickups. When cranked high, there is a little but of hum, that does get quite annoying. The guitar is very flexible, I can reach a lot of different tones out of it. You can really make the guitar scream if you know what you're doing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was just typically set up at the factory. When I got the guitar, I had to do a lot of adjusting to get it to my preferences. Lot's of action adjustment, pickup height adjustments, etc. But afterwards, the work was rewarded. The knobs get loose alot, and there is a missing bolt on the back pot cover. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it, I throw it around alot, but never really smacked it hard off anything. I would use it for gigging, I already am using it for live performances and local things. The finish is good, except the fact that it is so fragile, dropping a deodorant stick on it puts a lil crack into the finish. // 8

Overall Impression: I really like this guitar, which is why I am currently upgrading it as much as I can to make it sound to it's fullest potential. I recommend this guitar to you the fullest, but only buy it if you're willing to adjust and adjust and upgrade! I always compare it to gibsons and such at the music store, and it can compete with them in every way! I hope you look forward to the G-400. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: LesPaulCowboy, on june 09, 2008

Features: Well I got this at a flea market, I traded this cheap Stratocaster that I had made into a super Strat (Multi-Switch) and all I had in the guitar was 125 dollars (Actually it was like 117, but I round up) and the SG had a bad spot near the jack, but hay, this is my new frankenaxe. Anyway, it's a upscale Epiphone, trapazoid inlays, ets (Its exactly like my Les Paul Custom) and I brought it home, tuned it and played. Now though it has the same humbuckers (For the moment) as my Les Paul, it sounded diffrent, and not that opps I screwed up on this deal diffrent, so I went and played some songs that just didn't seem to sound right on my LP, and what you know, my SG did it right. I was playing Paranoid, Pictures of Matchstick men, and Sunshine of your love superbly. It has the tune-o-matic tail pieces, and the tuners are grovers. The humbuckers are Alcino V's. // 9

Sound: It does well, I had the Strat, just to say I had one, and I hated it, the single coils would buzz, so I had to turn another coil on to get that to stop (I had a multi-Switch setup). I knew my Les Paul would eat that Strat alive, but I didn't want to mess with my LP (Mom got it for me, sentimental value, etc) and well I seen this at the flea market, and the old guy Who had it was a pushover, and wasn't to swift, so we traded, and I brought it home. I played tons of songs, and they all sounded as good as if they were played on the LP, some better, some well the LP would do better than the SG in some. But I mean I was playing Ozzy, Sabbath, Eagles, Steve Miller, tons of songs, just so I could get the feel, and it did good. I mean, it played well, like damn I am keeping this one for sure. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is a used guitar, and it's neck is straight, and everything is good. Everything is still in tact, like it was from the factory. The action, well the previous owner had it set low, for solo's so there is some buzz, but I am going to set the action back up where it was. The guitar is in imaculate shape (Been sitting at the flea market for a year) I know Epiphone does good work COUGH better that fender/squier COUGH, and I am really pleased. Yes I am a Strat hater. // 9

Reliability & Durability: There isn't much I an say here, other than, it's a super solid guitar, it works perfect, and I would play Live with it, for days on end, without a backup. Maybe some extra strings but that's all. The finish won't come off, believe me. It's a super solid guitar, I mean I am super pleased with it // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock, classic rock, rock ability, psychedelic, punk, some metal, and country. This guitar does what it should, hell it does pretty good on country, and ZZtops La Grange sounds superb on this guitar. I play threw a Crate Flexwave 15R (I was the first person to review the amp) and it does good, though not to long ago, I found my speaker, likes to rattle real bad when I play the Low E string, so I am lookign into a new speaker when I get my new pickups for this guitar. But I played this guitar (Not threw the wah wah pedal yet, but I bet it sounds good threw it) and I already know, this is a great guitar, worth what I got in it, and I am happy with it. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: three10, on august 08, 2008

Purchased from: ABC Music

Features: My G-400 is a 2007 model, made in china. It has 22 frets, two humbuckers, Grover tuners, a three-way pickup selector Switch and a tune-o-matic bridge. It is made of mahogany. The neck is quite wide but that's what you would expect from a SG-style guitar, however it means that it is not great for shred. I give it a 9 because it has everything that you would expect from a SG-style guitar. // 9

Sound: I play all types of music from blues through to hendrix through to classic rock through to hard rock through a Peavey Rage 258. This guitar wasn't really built for blues or hendrix with its mahogany body and humbuckers, which give it a very rich, full sound. However using the bridge pickup and a trebly amp setting I am able to get an ok hendrix tone. What this guitar was really built for though is rock. It's easy to get very good AC/DC and GN'R tones as well as some harder rock stuff like InMe (great band btw), and Alter Bridge. This isn't a shred or metal guitar but it's still possible to get those tones as well. I give it a 9 because it's great at what it does but you can still get good variety. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was okay out of the box. Inotation was fine but the action was a little high. Because of the TOM bridge, however, it is very easy to adjust and was not an issue. Everything (pickup adjustment, frets, tuners etc.) else was fine. The transparent-ish finish is beautiful but it picks ups small chips and the like easily, but that's not much of an issue. Also, the pickup selector Switch is a little loose but that doesn't matter. The one real issue that I've had is the output jack. The nut wore down quickly and it caused the output jack to fall back into the body of the guitar. With a new nut everything was ok. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very well built and other than the output jack, the finish (which chips quite easily) and the neck dive which causes the strap to fall off sometimes, but for that I will probably get straplocks. It would withstand Live playing and I would gig this without a backup. The hardware is very well built and would withstand some beating. I would give it a 10 were it not for the little problems. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for rock, particularly classic rock but it can do other genres quite well. If it were stolen I probably would buy a different, more expensive guitar. However, if I was given a 200 price range I would definitely buy this again. Overall this is easily one of the best guitars in the price range and a very good guitar for beginners and one I'm very glad I bought. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: NoradZ, on january 09, 2009

Features: I bought this amp at Guitar Center in 2006 as my first electric guitar, probably made in Thailand. It came with a 22 fret rosewood fretboard, mahogany finish, chrome hardware, two humbucking pickups, and grover chrome tuners. It looks a lot like a Standard Gibson SG to me. My pickups are made by Epiphone. It has two volume knobs, two tone knobs, and a three way selector. // 9

Sound: I play mostly alternative rock and grunge. I do play a little metal and modern rock. I use a Line 6 Spider III 150WT amp and a Marshall MG15WTCDR amp. For the Marshall amp, I use a DigiTech Grunge pedal and a Boss CE-5 Courus Esemble. For my Line 6, I use the presets and the FBW Express. I mostly play on my Line 6 amp because it can give me different levels of gain using the 12 different amp models and the ability to scroll through the different presets and mark them A through D. My guitar would usually give a nice rich sound through it or very bright depending on the preset. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar, it was in very good shape. The only problem was that the action was to high and that the pickups needed to be loosened a little, but I was able to fix that myself. The guitar is very good for standing or sitting while playing. The horns on the side of the neck conected to the body make it easy to reach thoughs high notes close to the body making it great for soloing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This is a guitar that was made to last for a while. I have hade it for four years and I have never had a chip come off it. I would be able to go through a whole tour without a second. I wish, though, that the front strap button was on the horn so that way it would be easier to keep up without holding on to the neck or horn. I, also, wish that the neck was lighter so that it would be easier to keep up. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly alternative rock, grunge and metal and would highly recomend it to any player Who wants to start playing. It is good for playing any kind of music you want. If this was lost or stolen, I would probably save up my money and get the Gibson version of it. I would deffinatly choose this guitar over a Strat or a Tele. Just the balance ticks me off. It is a great guitar though. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: Amer91, on september 02, 2009

Features: This is guitar is the Epiphone's version of the Standard SG. It's got 22 medium frets on a rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays, and it has a 24.75 inch scale length. The guitar has a set-neck construction with both the body and the neck made of mahogany with a cherry red finish. It has a tune-o-matic with bridge with a tail peice, two humbuckers, and individual volume and tone controls for each pickup along with a 3-way pickup selector. The tuners are generic Epiphone tuners but they seem pretty sturdy. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of metal as well as blues, grunge, and a bit of jazz, and this guitar is great for all of them. The neck is very comfortable for me because I prefer medium necks and can't stand the paper-thin necks found on most modern shred guitars. I use this guitar with a Roland Cube 15 amplifier, and a Line 6 PODxtLive and the tones I get are amazing. The guitar doesn't produce any noise even on the high-gain settings. The bridge pickup is great for getting a good rhythm sound on the distortion settings. Palm-muting is tight and full of punch, and the neck pickup gives a very warm sound for soloing. On the clean I like to use both pickups for strumming chords, and for mellow blues the neck pickup is great with tone knob rolled back a bit. For playing classic rock like Zeppelin, I like using the bridge pickup for soloing, it has more bite to it. In general, this guitar is great for everything. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I got my guitar from a friend, and it was in pretty bad condition, but he had left in a basement for a long time so it needed a lot of work, the truss rod need adjustment, the intonation was messed up, and the fretboard was cover with a bit of dirt. All that was taken care of, and the guitar became playable. The pickups needed no modification. The guitar had a few scratches on it, and the tail piece was a bit oxidized but the guitar was still playable. // 4

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure this guitar would do well in a Live situation. The hardware definitely needs replacement because the humidity in the basement had a bad effect on it. I would definitely use this without backup in a gig because it's got a fixed bridge which makes string-changing, in case a string brakes, easy. The finish is good, it hasn't aged much with time. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly play death metal, black metal, thrash metal, blues, and a bit of jazz and classic rock and this guitar. If this guitar were stolen I probably couldn't buy a new one because Epiphone guitars are unavailable where I Live, even if they were, I'd buy a guitar with high-output pickups because I prefer them for metal. In general this is a great guitar and I only wish it had Seymour Duncan pickups on it. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: zeppdc, on may 24, 2010

Price paid: A$ 569

Purchased from: cranbourne music

Features: I recently bourght a 2007 epi SG g400 with wine red finish this guitar also came with a free case. This is a truely magnificent 22 fretted mahogany body a necked guitar with humbucker pickups a tune-o-matic bridge 2 volume 2 tone dials 3 way selecter and grover tuners. Its a well designed guitar at a low price. // 10

Sound: A very very clean and warm tone very rich and full and sounds great with the gain turned to 10. I play a lot of Acdc, Led Zeppelin, Guns N' Roses, Rolling Stones, Metallica and it suits all these music styles. From rock to hard rock blues to metal it ticks the boxes of all of these genres. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar looks a feels professionly made everything is well adjusted to this wonderful guitar. Although I have noticed that the bolt on the input comes loose after a while and needs adjusting every now and again but still very well made. Also the pickup selector is a bit loud but all in all I love it! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I may have only had this shreding machine for a few moths but I can see the future of the great guitar. I can tell its gonna be long lasting and could last a life time. Its very durable and I would trust using it at gigs and not need a back up guitar. I play this guitar around 2-4 hours a day and no signs of it slowing down. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is a beautiful guitar and well worth buying I've been Playing for 2 years and I have owned 5 guitars and this is probley my secound favourite to my Gibson sg. I love it and is magnificent for its price range. The only thing I don't like about this guitar is that the body and neck is all made of mahogany which means the head stock weighs the guitar down so if you let go of the neck the headstock will point downward to the floor. I chose this guitar originally because I want a SG at a low price. It was surely one the greatest choices I've made in my life. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: andyhughes, on august 19, 2010

Purchased from: Local Musician

Features: SG Made in Korea 22 Frets, Scale Length: 24.75" Rosewood Fingerboard Solid-top Mahogany body and neck Cherry lacquer finish Tune-O-Matic bridge Set neck (glued in) (2x) Volume knobs (2x) Tone Knobs, 3 way pickup selector 2 Gibson designed Alnico Humbuckers Chrome Hardware Grover Tuners // 10

Sound: This Guitar has a nice sound, ideal for Rock. Though however can be quite versatile, with the right settings dialled in on your amp. It has great sustain (Which Gibson style Guitars are renowned for) It's not bright and twangy like a Fender. The Humbuckers deliver fairly deep low-end tone, it can get quite muddy so you have to mess around with the EQ on your amp. A pretty good tonal quality Guitar overall. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, the intonation was a bit out and the action could of been better. However I got it serviced and properly set up and now it plays like a dream, this is no big deal as many Guitars are badly set up when they come out of the factory. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This Guitar is good enough quality for gigging. I've used it pretty frequently at local pubs and clubs, it goes out of tune pretty easily with brand new strings but holds in very well eventually. SG's are quite fragile in comparison to Les Paul's but this Guitar is still very durable, it even got dropped on the floor once at a rehearsal and it was fine. The build quality is very good, similar to a Gibson. I've gigged without a backup before. // 9

Overall Impression: I play different styles, my original Music ranges from Britpop/Rock/Punk/Indie/Blues etc. I use this Guitar for most of my album recording sessions. You can hear tracks at http://www.reverbnation.com/andyhughes if you also want to hear the sound of the Guitar check it out! I've been playing Guitar for approx 4 years. I really like this Guitar, it's a decent replica of the original 1962 SG. Well recommended for the player on the budget that can't afford a proper Gibby. It does have it's flaws like any Guitar, it's very top heavy, so the neck drops if you don't hold on to it. I say it's a very good Guitar overall. Thanks for reading my review :) // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: That_Pink_Queen, on june 29, 2006

Sound: The guitar body and neck are very good quality and sound great, the real fault here is the pickups. The neck humbucker is muddy on its own, and too low output compared to the bridge. It doesn't have very much "bite" and tends to get lost in the mix. The bridge humbucker is the opposite, it has too much treble and twang to it for a Gibson type guitar. The bridge tone is overly trebly, sterile, and harsh. It sounds best with both pickups blended together. The guitar is pretty decent for old school rock and roll, but don't expect a miracle. It sounds good for things like The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, etc. If you crank the distortion, you can get an AC/DC type tone, but the sound isn't as crisp as you might want. This guitar also makes a decent blues guitar. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar store I got it from sets up all the action and junk before selling the instrument, so all that was fine. The finish was excellent, it's all dinged up now, but that's my fault. Durable finish, it's taken alot of bashing. All the hardware is great, but I replaced the tuners, the stock tuners always drifted out of tune on the G and D strings. I have some Grovers (Mini's) on there now. Everything on the guitar is put together well otherwise. When I first got the guitar the three way toggle and the neck HB crapped out on me, but I got new ones free under warranty. Still, the fact that the electronics were so bad brings it down a few points. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. I've bashed daily and it seems nice and solid even after a few years of abuse. I'd use it at a gig without a backup (though of course I'd prefer not to). Finish is great. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, good match for classic rock. Pickups are weak, definite negative aspect there. If it were stolen, I'd probably go pick something else up on eBay. eBay is awesome. The finish/wood is nice, I like that. The pickups need to be replaced, and the tuners are kind of shoddy imo. Good beginner guitar. // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: sggod01, on november 27, 2006

Features: First of all, great guitar, the original strings suked ass, so I got some D'Adario 10 gauges, now it's sounds much beit's a brand new model, the only weired thing is, it didn't have varnish on it! I really can't decide if I want it put on or if I should leave it, but it looks great without it, I just want that extra kick to it, the fret board is a 22 fret mahogany with trapezoid fret dots, the body is also mahogany and is a beautiful faded cherry finish, I think it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, it has a 3 way selectorwith 2 volume 3 tone, the pickup switch actually came with an orange switch, so my friend just markered it black. The pickups are Epiphone humbuckers, made by Gibson, with silver grover tuning keys. I really need a strap lock, because the neck is heavier than the body, so if I let go of the neck, the whole guitar flips. // 9

Sound: I tune down all the time, always playing System Of A Down, it suits it really well, I plug into a Boss me, 50 multi-effects processor with an Ashton 40 watt amp, the amp had crap distortion so that's why I bought the pedal, it can make any sound you like on it. this guitar sounds like the god's themselves made it, I'd never give it up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the little e needs to be adjusted, it's really audible when you tune down, but when you don't it's unaudible. I really don't know how you can adjust pick ups, so I'll just leave that. No flaws, I really want varnish on it, like I said before it didn't come with it to really represent that 60's original electric guitar feel. I only want it to give it that more of a smooth, shiny finish. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't see this guitar needing any setups anytime soon, probably next year, just to retain it's fresh new look and quality, this guitar is a tank, I hit it everywhere and there isn't even a scratch or tiny dent anywhere, if you get a Gibson SG, you'd be too worried about going nuts with it because it might hit something, with this guitar, I think, well, nothing's gonna happen to it. everything on it is strong and in place, I depend on it fully, I've already played a gig with it, and it pulled through perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said before I play a lot of metal, mostly System Of A Down, and it's a perfect match with there new and old stuff, I only got it last month and it's still perfect, I wish I'd asked for one with varnish, but they didn't have any on shelf, if it were stolen I'd probably buy a Gibson to see the difference, I love everything on it, I just hate the way it tilts without a lock strap. The one thing I want is varnish, once I have it, that's it. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: fire within, on december 18, 2006

Features: Nothing spectacular here, was hand-made in China in 2004. It has Grover tuners, it doesnt't go out of tune easily, Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar, all mahogany body and set neck with a rosewood fretboard. 22 jumbo frets with trapeziod inlays plus jumbo frets. However the alnico V pickups I feel are average, they are good but a bit too weak and muddy sounding. Nothing feels too flimsy, but one of the caps on the tone pots came loose and is wobbly, which needs fixed. Overall I was impressed because of the price. // 9

Sound: As I mentioned, the pickups are kinda weak, but the mahogany makes up for it. It's not noisy in the slightest, with quite a nice warm tone if you set it right. I'm using a spiderII 15 and a Crate GLX 212, and it's sounds great on some settings, rubbish on others. It was meant for distortiom, but you can get some nice cleans out of it. I am hoping to replace he pickups with some duncans or the actual Gibson pickups, just to increase verstility. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Finished well, no flaws on it when I got it, everything was how it should be. A couple of the saddles were sharp, but that sorted itself out with a different guage and brand of strings. All the hardware was good, the grovers were a plus. I had to adjust the bridge a little as the action was pretty high, but no major flaws. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a bloody tank, I've hit it off walls, dropped it, accidentally put a thin scratch on it with a screwdiver when sorting the bridge and played the living daylights out it, and it sounds just as nice as when I got it. I'm going to get some proper straplocks as, although the buttons are solid, the positioning makes it easy to slip the strap off. I have played with it at school shows and exams, and it held up well. I don't believe in using any guitar without a backup at a proper gig, but I would for just now as it is the only decent guitar I have. Bit of oxidation on the stopbar, but only noticable right up close. // 10

Overall Impression: Been playing 2 years, one year with this and the Spider, and kit has yet to disapoint much. I play from a bit of jazz and blues to metalcore and it works well with them most of the time. Wish it had come with a hard case and better pickups, but for 169 you can't really complain. If it was stolen, I would get it again if I was short on cash, but if I had enough I would probably get a Gibson SG GT as it has the strap locks, the push-pull coil taps and the Gibson pickups. Great guitar for the price though, worth how much I paid and maybe a little more. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 21, 2006

Features: This is a Epiphone SG G-400. I believe it was set up in Japan, but it was inspected in USA. There are 22 Frets on a Rosewood Fretboard. It has a pretty decent finish. There are 2 classic Gibson humbucking pickups with a 3 way selector. It has Grover tuners. I jewd the ladie that sold me the guitar so that she threw in a gig bag, stand, and some strings (which were GHS boomers, and I don't really like those because the rust really bad). // 9

Sound: Ok. I play heavy metal like Avenged Sevenfold and System Of A Down. This guitar is the ideal guitar for heavy metal music. I am currently playing it out of my Line 6 Spider 2 amp. I can hit riffs from songs like Bat Country and BYOB, then switch it over and hit some nirvana. This guitar is so fricken easy to play and it has a bright sound, and the tone amazing. I played this along side of my friends real Gibson SG and you couldnt tell the difference. I can get a harmonic response like nothing. I can hit pinches without really trying. I've only been playing for a about a year or so, and this is my 2nd guitar. I have upgraded from a little Squier Strat. This is a total blowout compared to that little bundle of misury with the single coil pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I think that the set up was pretty decent, but it could be better. I had to dick with the pickups for awhile untill I got a decent sound out of them. They were up to far so when I would strum, it would hit on the pickup. The other problem I had with it is that the D string tuner was super loose, infact it was so loose that it wouldn't hold a tune for anything. But that was an easy fix, and a minute later, it was where it should be. But the worst flaw with this thing is that the strap spots aren't mounted the best, and the neck wants to go right to the ground. But I think I might remount it in the way that a Strat has. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a for sure Live player. I play in a metal band, and I get comments all the time on this guitar. I play Live shows all the time and people seem to like it. It has an amazing sound, and everytime I hit solos, I get everone to mosh. The hardware will definately last because I treat this thing like a baby. The strap buttons suck, as stated in the previous paragraph. I can more than 150% sure in my head that I can depend on this. I would never use it as a backup because I can't think of any guitars that come close to this thing. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm super impressed with this guitar. I actually bought it on mistake. I am a loyal fan to Avenged Sevenfold. I used to think that Zacky vengence was the lead guitarist to that band. Wrong I was. Also, I thought he played a SG from watching the video Unholy Confessions. But it turns out that they both play schecters. So I pretty much bought the wrong guitar, and it was the best guitar that I will ever need to buy a guitar that's better than this one. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 04, 2007

Features: The Epiphone SG400 features 2 alnico class V humbucking pickups, chrome hardware, a set neck and has a mahogany neck and body. The Standard finishes are ebony and heritage/worn cherry. Some other finishes are available but only through custom order.The guitar comes in either "vintage" or "gloss" finishes. My SG was made in Korea (south Korea I hope). This baby has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a neck tilted at an exact 14 degree angle. The guitar comes with an Epiphone instrument cable (and a cardboard box I guess). // 9

Sound: I play mostly punk rock/emo/indie, and this guitar suited each role. Switch to the treble (bridge) pickup and you get the jumpy, twangy sound found with most punk songs, Switch to the rythm(neck)pickup and you can get a deeper metal/emo sound. I use a Behringer V-AMPIRE LX210 (for those of you Who want to see this amp. And I use the flanger or the tube distortion a lot and it sounds great. nice clean distortion, with barely any feedback and pretty respectable sustain. As for the variety of sounds this guitar can produce, I would recommend any rock genre (for heavier metal stuff, you'll need and effects pedal). One bad thing about this guitar is that it's a pretty poor jazz/blues and country guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up on this guitar was not as impressive as the guitar. The bridge was too high and the pickups were mismatched. One pickup was too low, the other too high. But other than that factory set up was good. Strings were in good repair, the finish looked even better than it did in the catalogue and not a single trace of damage. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is good for a intermediate player, who is used to playing at small to medium gigs. Although if you used it at really large gigs, I'm confident it would perform just as well. The hardware is pretty durable, but fingerprint markings are pretty obvious and will pester most guitar players. Also, the neck is heavier than the body. This could be a problem for lead singers, because as soon as you let go of the neck while playing standing up, it'll tilt until it touches the stage. Other than that, this guitar has above average reliability and durability. I would definitely carry this one guitar into a gig without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk/emo/indie music, this guitar is a great match for my style, and in fact any rock genre. I've only been playing it since november 2006 but I'm sure that this guitar will last me until I'm old enough to get married. I own a Behringer V-Ampire LX210, and since all the effects are built into my amp, I don't own effects pedals/boards. I probably should have bought a new strap to compliment my SG's ebony finish, but that's just a matter of opinion. If my SG were stolen or lost, I would save up for a Gibson SG, but they're basically the same right? I love the fast neck, the lightweight body and the ease of use, I hate how the neck tilts when your not holding onto it, if your playing standing up. When I was first selecting a guitar to buy, my two final options were to either buy a LTD viper or an Epi SG, I chose the SG because of it's versatility and it's ability to perform gig after gig. Plus I really love those pointed horns! // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: xitlight, on january 29, 2007

Purchased from: zzounds.com

Sound: Let's get one thing out of the way. The vast majority of newer Epiphones have foreign-made pickups. My G-400 as it came stock did not sound full at all. Pinch harmonics were not possible with the pickups that came on it, and the pickup output was horrible. There was audible buzz from the humbuckers as well, though it was minor. I am using a 340-watt Fender 212 for the vast majority of my guitar playing, which includes blues, classical, neoclassical, alternative, metal, thrash and classic rock. The guitar itself however is fine, it's well-made and the tuning machines actually stay in tune. The inlays are well-fitted and the Heritage cherry body looks near-identical to a Gibson. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly set up and playable upon delivery. The action was low, and fully adjustable via the Tune-O-Matic bridge. The fretboard was not warped or otherwise defective at all, however the finish on the fretboard is lacking in my opinion. Upon close inspection, the grain of the wood is visible and I would reccommend refinishing it. The controls and toggle Switch are firmly fit and look like they will hold up for a long time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar as it comes stock is not playable Live or gigs, due to the humbucker sound (or lack thereof). The strap buttons are solid, but the finish as I mentioned previously will wear off completely if you play often, thus requiring it to be refinished. The Grover tuners are very durable, and will last through a full Live set, which is always nice. // 8

Overall Impression: As I have addressed previously, the guitar is mediocre stock. The only thing that is really lacking is the humbuckers. I immediately replaced them with a Gibson Classic '57 in the neck position and a Gibson Classic '57 Plus in the bridge position. A personal warning to anyone who is planning on buying this guitar and replacing only one pickup though; Epiphone foreign-made pickups are reverse-wound thus will clash with the American-made Gibson pickups, giving you an irritating hum or buzz in the middle position of the toggle switch. After my modifications, this guitar is excellent. It sounds better than a Gibson Faded Series SG, and identical to a Gibson SG Standard, and it only cost a grand total of 700 dollars. If it was stolen or lost, I would buy the same guitar, modify it the same way, and still have the classic Gibson sound. For only 300 dollars, it's definitely worth the investment. However, it irritated me that fretboard was not properly finished. I've been playing for 1 year and 5 months, though I am now attending college for music performance. One thing I especially liked about the G-400: it was affordable on a college student's budget, even with the modifications. Overall, it was clearly well-made and like most guitars you'll own, just requires some customization to get the sound you want. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: jozzer, on february 03, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Features: It has 22 frets, two humbuckers, one of which (bridge) was replaced with a dimarzio distortion humbucker, tulip tuners, pearloid trapezoid inlays, 3-way pickup selector, 2 tone and 2 volume pots, chrome tunomatic bridge and stopbar tailpeice, mahogany nech and body, rosewood fingerboard, transparent cherry finish and the small SG scratch plate. It would have been better with a floyd rose and 24 frets, otherwise, it's perfect. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits what I play down to the ground. I play classic rock, heavy metal and blues, and both rhythm and lead. It can create an excellent distorted sound with my Vox AD15VT amp and the dimarzio pickup. It sounds awesome. The pickup isnt one of those crazy output ones though, so it also sounds ok clean. It best suits classic rock and heavy blues, with its sharp sound. The neck pickup isnt as good as the bridge, in my oppinion, it produces a lot of feedback when there is lots of distortion on, but it does produce a nice, warm, full sound. This allows it to play a very good clean tone, especially when the pickups are combined, so it can play pretty much anything that doesn't need a trem. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar second hand, so I don't know how well it was set up at the factory, but there were no major flaws, save for one fret that was slightly high. I fixed that and now I have set it to the most unbelievably low action ever! The finish was perfect. The wood is excellent quality and it has unbelievable sustain for such a thin guitar. It had no problems with anything being loose or poorly routed/cut. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very durable. It is always falling over, but there is no dings or anything on it. The finish is there to stay! I would definitely use this at a gig with no backup, because it has nothing to go wrong really. The strap buttons are very solid. They are used a lot and they are never loose, so that wont be a problem. There is no trem so it stays in tune. It actually does this very well. I don't know if the neck pickup would withstand live playing though. it produces a lot of feedback. I would replace the neck pickup before gigging it. // 9

Overall Impression: It looks nice, plays nice, is very versatile, and I found it very cheap. It is a great guitar but if it were stolen, I'd buy a better one, cos it isnt the best guitar in the world. I have been playing for two years, and this guitar will probably be around for another 10 because I like it so much, but I'll buy a better one soon. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2007

Features: The G-400 was made in China, with 22 jumbo-frets and two-humbuckers. It pays to mess around with the 4 tone and volume knobs to find a great tone. It has a Tune-o-Matic bridge and SG double-cut body. It has grover tuners but I'm not sure if they lock or not. I paid 300 dollars, but it was actually supposed to be 400 but they forgot to change the sale sticker so they just gave it to me for 300. Unfortunately it came with no accesories (barring the cruddy cable it came with). // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds great, especially for its price. I play rock (Alter Bridge, Creed, Green Day, Led Zep) some jazz (in my school's jazz band) and I like to play some blues as well. This guitar, paired nicely with my Spider II 30 amp, is quite capable of all these. On the bridge pickup you get some nice classic rock type sounds and on the bridge you can get nice heavy sounds (Master Of Puppets, anyone? ). The humbuckers really buck the hum. Upon messing with amp settings I found that this guitar is capable of simply beautiful cleans as well as classic SG crucnhy-ness. I highly reccomend replacing the stock strings // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Such a beautiful tone of cherry red, a lot darker and sexier than in the internet pictures. Unfortunately, it gets fingerprints rather easily with it's glossy finish. The action was nice, pretty low not too low, and the pickups are adjusted well. No scratches yet, although this thing is a dust magnet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the pleasure of playing this Live yet (my first gig with will be in less than a week though with my school's jazz band.) The hardware all seems like it would last forever and a day. I can see myself using this without a backup (I never use a backup for jazz band but I might for my band). I reccomend srtap locks, but that doesnt't stop the top-heaviness and if you don't hold on it might stage dive to the floor. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for my music (rock, metal, jazz, blues). I've been playing for about 2 or so years, and I also own a Squier Strat (this is a lot higher quality) and an Applause Legend and a Carlo Robelli 3/4 guitar. My dad owns an Ovation Legend and a Variax bass and a Steinberger, and since you asked I play Alto Saxophone and suck at trumpet. If it were stolen, I'd cry, then there'd have to be another Noah's ark, then I'd have the two bears I had to bring on the ark to maul whoever stole it. I compared to a used Gibson Faded Special, but it was scratched up a bunch and overall didn't look very good and didn't sound good enough to justify a purchase over this beauty. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 29, 2007

Purchased from: Broadway Music/Pawn

Features: I bought my guitar used. It's an '03, cherry finish. The SG body style is a classic shape, and it still looks great. I personally prefer the smaller style pickguard to the full style. Mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard, dual humbuckers, 2 tone/2 volume, 3-way selector. I'm not sure what it comes with brand new, I only got the guitar. // 7

Sound: I play anything from AC/DC to Ramones, White Stripes, Sabbath, and Nirvana. This guitar works pretty good for anything. I play through an older Marshall MG10CD and a Boss DS-1 Distortion. Both pickups together put out some fat tones good for rock, grunge, and blues. The bridge pickup puts out some good punk tones. The neck pickup puts out some good metal sounds. The guitar is no slouch on clean either. The bridge pickup is good for playing Can't Stop by RHCP. I get a slight buzzing, but I'm going to credit that mostly to my amp being old and turned up high. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything is well adjusted, but the excellent condition of the guitar and the Gibson truss rod cover lead me to think that this may have been set up by it's previous owner. That said, the action on this guitar is great, low but no buzzing. The only guitar in the shop that had better action was an Eric Clapton Strat, but I'm not rich. The finish is absolutely gorgeous. Pictures don't do it justice. The cherry finish is a deep, vibrant red. The back of the neck being painted is a nice touch too. I've only found two problems with my guitar; one of the tuners is missing it's back cap, and the black knob on the selector switch slides off and will not screw on. That's probably because it's a used guitar, but they are minor flaws nonetheless. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems pretty durable, but I don't plan on finding out. The finish looks like it will last a while. The hardware seems pretty durable. The strap buttons work alright, but I'll probably get some straplocks just to be safe. I'm going to find out how it does Live when my band plays next month, but I'd bet that it will do pretty well. Since my only other electric has wiring problems, I'm not gigging with a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: Buying this guitar was an accident for me, I was intent on buying a Strat and this swayed me in a matter of minutes. The only thing that slightly bothers me is the neck-heaviness of the guitar when playing while standing, but it's no big deal. My other guitar is so far behind it's not even funny. If this was stolen, I would probably buy another one just like it or find one with P90s. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: frankthewolfman, on april 02, 2007

Features: My guitar was made in Korea in the UnSung guitar factory, it has 22 jumbo frets, it has a double cutaway body and a tune-o-matic bridge, with 2 passive alcino V humbuckers, it has a 3-way selector (rhythm, treble and neutral) for each pickup there are seperate volume and tone controls. It also has sperzel tuners. When I bought it, it came with a strap and a gigbag. There were a couble of small scratche in the finish, but nothing too bad. // 9

Sound: I play mostly heavy/bluesy music, in the style of neil young (when he plays electric) or a times like Black Sabbath, but also more proggy feels (i.e. King Crimson, Yes) pr indeed in the style of my fellow soutphaw and dude of dudes, Jimi Hendrix. This guitar suits me perfectly as even when distorted to within an inch of it's life, it doesn't lose it's clarity, and the sound is never muddy, you can also get jazzier textures from the treble pickup if you roll back the bass on your amp, I play with a small 15 watt 'Nevada' amp. Altogether very nice and varied for most musical styles. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I though it was perfectly set up, as the action was great (perfect for some sexy, psychedelic bends). The frets were really playable and it is very comfortable to play with. However, there were a few scratches in the finsh, but these were negligable. The only real problem was that it is slightly neck heavy, so I have had some close calls when I've let go of the neck without thinking! The hardware was perfectly set up and incredibly durable, and once I bough a non-slip rubber pad for my strap the fact that it as neck heavy was not a problem. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definately would withstand some serious Live playing, and it has stayed perfectly in tune through some rather rough jamming sessions. The hardware should last until I die (if no longer) and the strap buttons are fine too. the finish hasn't worn off at all, but as I have said before there are a few scratches in the finish. I would probably use it at a gig without backup as it is my cherished possesion and I trust it, but I might buy a cheap Vintage SG or a les paul or maybe and Epiphone G-310, just to be on the safe side. // 9

Overall Impression: As I have said before, it is a great match for my many styles of music, and is a perfect first guitar, with the only real problem being it's neck heaviness, I would certainly buy it again, but if I lost it, I would be heart broken as it is my pride and joy (it (she) even has a name: Maria). I could have bought an Epiphone les paul, but I thought this looked cooler (devil horns) and sexier, as well as being cheaper (an important factor seeing as I am left handed). In the future I will probably get a stetsbar whammy bar for it, and perhaps replace the pick-ups with and emg 81 and 85, and perhaps a metal pickguard, ultimately it is great and is a joy to play, you should definately go for it. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 14, 2007

Features: My version has the cherry paint job. I don't know whenit was made (but it was pretty recent because it has grover tuners and the older models of this guitar don't have this feature). It has 22 frets jumbo to medium I think, It has to Alcino Mgnetic Pickups on a solictop body made of Mahogany that has a double cuttaway. It bridge is a tune o matic and the tail piece I have removed and added a Bigsby B5 (Awseme). It has two volume and two tone controls and a three way selector. // 9

Sound: It is good for what the Gibson SG Does just a little down in sound compared to the Gibson. I use a Roland Cube 30 and the Tweed effect at full gain to give a retro (Cream, Wolfmother, Jimi Hendrix) Sound. It can sound bright and pretty Bass depending on your amp settings and it is good for nailing solo's going up and down on scales. It worth the price I paid for it for sound reasons. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It all turned out pretty good except the paint job could be a bit brighter and the input jack is so loose that it will come undone and make a loud buzz on your amp. The Tunning Pegs could be tighter though. The rest is all good. The pickups are fine and the knobs are tight and it's tune o matic bridge is perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It will definetly stand a month of touring and it withstands a lot of scratches and dints. It should last for over 5 - 10 years and the hard wear will probably last longer than the guitar itself. I have only been playing for 2 years and haven't even done a gig with it but it's my only electric guitar so I guess it would stand a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Its good for classic rock to punk to metal (But I usely skip the last one with it). If I lost it I would jump straight onto Ebay or Sell.com and buy a Second hand Gibson SG instead of this guitar just because I love the better quallity sound. I compared it to the cheap $400 - $600 Fender Squir Strats and it flogged it. I Love It Though and couldn't Live a day without out it (Unless I had the real Gibson SG, money). // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: Phil6584, on july 10, 2007

Features: The Epiphone G-400 Electric Guitar is a Gibson-authorized version of their great '62 SG with solid mahogany body and slim-tapered mahogany neck. Separate volume and tone controls for each of the high-output humbuckers and 22 frets. The tuners are grover I'm not sure if they lock or not. The Bridge is a Tune-O-Matic. It was made in China and fully inspected and setup in the USA. // 9

Sound: I play many different kinds of rock and metal, mostly heavier stuff. I really like the individual tone and volume controls for each humbucker. It sounds really great with heavy distortion but it's versatile and does very warm crisp clean tones as well. Right now I play through an RP80 effects pedal and my speaker system. I have played it through a B52 amp and Line 6 spider II&III amps. It sounded great through both of those amps so as soon as I have the money I'm going to get a nice amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar looks great. Much much better than the pictures you see online. I love the silver hardware and silver pickups, it looks soooo nice. The inlays have a very nice pearl look to them and it flows very well with the rest of the guitar. It was set up great at the factory, so far I haven't needed to adjust anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can and definitely will withstand Live playing. It looks and feels very solid and shows no signs of breaking or wearing out. As I said before the finish is very nice but because it is black gloss it fingerprints very easily. The guitar is somewhat top heavy but it only takes a little getting used to. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I love this guitar and later on I would like to purchase a Gibson SG. If it were lost or stolen I would without a doubt buy a new one. Like I said before I play a mostly hard rock and metal and this guitar fits it perfectly from the way it looks and sounds. Absolutely no regrets in purchasing this guitar! // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: tai1221, on july 18, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: This guitar was made in either Korea, or China. It is a G-400 with EMG active pickups, 22 frets, made of mahoganey. It has a solid apline white finish, and it is beuatiful! It has an EMG 81/85 pickup configuration, and they sound awesome with distoriton, and pretty good with just a clean tone. The bridge is a fixed Tune-O-Matic, and the tuners are Grover non locking type. It came in a cardboard box, with a cable, a poster, and the warranty. Oh, and this was made in 2006. // 10

Sound: This guitar is built for metal, but not that's not really what I'm into, I got it because I love Metallica, and they use emg 81, and I love their tone. The clean tone is pretty nice, bright sound. Not the best for clean, but if your playing a punk or metal song, it's great. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfect, I haven't had to adjust it, and I have had it for 6 months now. The pickups are nice and solidly in place, and they sound great. The guitars finish was perfect, nothing wrong at all. This is by far one of the best feeling and looking guitars I have seen, the white is so crisp and matches the black pick guard and black covers of the emgs. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar is a bit fragile, I have put 2 dents in the finish, but those were accidents and happened in an emergency I was having. The hardware is all very sold, except the strap buttons, the one near the neck isnt in a good position, and you should install locks so the strap doesnt't come off and you drop it. // 7

Overall Impression: I play some kind of experimental/prog stuff, and punk and regular rock, and this finds it's way in alot. I have been playing for 2 years, and this is my nicest guitar and most expensive so far.If it were lost or stolen, I would find those responsible and kill them, but I would probably try out a different guitar. I like Epiphone a great deal, gibsons are nice, but way to expensive, and the high end epis are just as good I think. I just wish it came with a hard case. this is a great guitar, everyone should try it, or buy it if they have the money. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 02, 2007

Purchased from: east gosford music

Features: I picked up my guitar for a bargain price. This guitar has 22 frets with trapizoidel inlays on a rosewood finger board. The guitar in particlular was made in 2003 and is in Heritage cherry. It is equipped with Grover tuners, two humbucking Epiphone pickups, which sound great I might add, and also comes with a 5 foot lead and tools for adjustment. The guitar body is made of mahogany as well as the neck, the guitar is very light weighted and would wiegh around half of a Gibson SG it is reasonably well balanced (maybe a little too heavy at the headstock side) and is also a very comfortable instrument to play. // 10

Sound: I play everything from jazz, country, blues, rock, metal and so forth and let me tell you this guitar obliterates all of them effortlessly. I am very fond of the classics and acdc being on of my favs I raised the bridge and neck pickup very close ( very, very close) to the strings to give the guitar more "attack" and "rawness". I play through a Marshall MG100DFX and this thing screams, I also have a pedal board equipped with a bodd ds1, Boss bd-2, and boos ge-7 and sounds great through that as well. The guitar does not give out any unusall sounds and can purr or growl depending on what mood you are in. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I recieved the guitar it was set up quite well from the factory (low action and a little neck bend) but I quickly set it to my standards which improved the playablitity by a long shot. The guitars finish is flawless with only a minor problem at the top of the bottom horn where the paint was applied thinly, but besides that "great!" The people at the Epiphone factories have really got it downpat on how to make a cheap quality guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is where the guitar will lose a few points for me but don't get me wrong it's a great guitar. The nuts on these guitars do need tobe changed to bone or graphite in the future for after a couble of string changes the nut is worn down which results in fret buzz, I switched the nut for a bone nut and not only did it improve buzz it also improved the sound by a lot more than I was expecting. Also the neck on this axe after around about 3 months of playing (keep in mind I play around 2 1/2 to 3 hours a day) the neck bent out of shape and although I was disapointed I sent it in to get fixed and the frets were planed off to make a extremly flat surface and tell you what this guitar has the lowest action I have ever seen on any set neck instrument. I would gig this guitar but still have a backup (Murphy's law, if you only bring one chances are it will fail). The paint job and hardware will last and the straplock buttons are ok although locking buttons would turn out better. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is a great match for all kinds of music and I have been playing for two years and have tried a lot of guitars and own a Gibson SG Standard and this guitar comes close to it's Standard and definatly beats is for the quality to price ratio. I love the finish of the quitar and the scratchplate and would definatly buy it again if it were to be stolen or lost. I compared this guitar to the ESP line of vipers and this one "shreds" all over them. The only thing I wish this guitar had was fret binding but for the price I'm not worried. Keep up the supurb work Epiphone and buy this guitar. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 06, 2007

Features: Features solid Mahogany, set neck, rosewood fingerboard, stock pickups. Everything you'd expect from an Epiphone with a bit more (or so it felt). It's a worn cherry SG so it looks beautiful. Two volume, two tone controls. Stock pickups are of course passive, 3-way selector switch. Plus it's a recent model so it came with Grover machine heads rather than those pathetic keystones. Didn't come with hard case, but by God it needed one. // 8

Sound: It sounds great clean, it's an Epiphone so naturally you'd expect that when you turn the tone controls nothing would happen. For some reason this isn't the case. I was very pleased with this fact. The Grovers they're putting on them now actually keep it in tune whilst I'm playing so you could say that helps. I have a heavy metal DigiTech pedal (for when I'm feeling angry) and the results are fairly pleasing. Of course rock and blues are where this guitar is most comfortable but you'd be pleasantly surprised at the versatility. The neck is also very very smooth and fast once set up properly. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received this guitar I didn't have to do too much to it. The neck pickup was too high by a fraction, but then it doesn't sound nearly as good as it should. The action needed lowering just a tad. The scratch plate was ever so slightly scratched. This didn't bother me as I think the guitar looks much better without it on. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is where I think this guitar falls down. It feels and looks well made, but because of the design it is very thin. As a result I'm always worried about snapping the neck. I've broken the neck on a Fender Strat before (an accident I assure you)and that seems much more difficult than this guitar. The first thing I did when I got this instrument was hard case shopping. I would use this at a gig, but I'd have strap locks for sure and I'd be very worried. Also I've heard that if it falls from a standing position on to it's back it doesn't really have a chance, this is of course subject to debate. // 6

Overall Impression: Don't be put off by the 6 for reliability or the small comments about the setup. These are minor things. The reliability shouldn't matter for Live playing. If you are in a band or if you are a professional musician I'm sure you'd simply buy a better guitar. But for the price and the quality of the finished product I would certainly recommend this guitar to anyone Who is looking for a second guitar. If it was stolen I'd buy another SG just for the sheer playability. It would have to be a Gibson though. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: OrangeAfro2, on december 05, 2007

Features: This sucker is a chinese version of the Gibson SG. It's got 22 frets, a mahogany neck, mahogany body, Tune-O-Matic bridge with a stop bar, grover tuners and a cherry red finish. It's the standard double cutaway SG form two volume two tone switches and a three way toggle switch. Great guitar only I got mine with a full pick guard not the usual half you would see on the regular G-400. The pick ups are very weak that's the only problem I had with it. I play hard rock/metal so I put and EMG 60 in the neck and an EMG 81 in the bridge and now it's packs a huge punch. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of hard rock and metal so I like to jump and thrash around while playing like Angus Young so this guitar is great because it is particularly light. I use it through a Marshall MDG30FX to practice and a Marshall MDG100FX playing Live. It sounds great with my EMG configuration, but before I felt that this guitar could have some more punch and the pickups just werent delivering. it's got so much flexibility from high squeal to low "buzz saw" type spounds. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first bought it I could have went and played a gig, the strings held up for quite a while and were perfectly in tune. The pickups well you know by now were great for s beginner but they were weak once I got better. This guitar was perfect from the moment I bought it until I brought it home and knocked it against my wall. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has put up with a lot of beatings I probably would leave the back up at home, the hardware will definitley last although I just needed to tighten the nuts after a year. The strap buttons hold up well but I don't recommmend playing upside down and twisting it around because the strap fell off once. This guitar is so dependable. The finish after my beatings has lasted very nicely and is only cracking where I set it on fire and where it it the ground the onlt time the strap buttons failed which was in the same spot as the fire. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is amazing. Great for beginners and everything other than the weak pick ups deliver for a great punch. I've been playing for 5 years and never once has I let me down. Which is the reason why I don't have any ohter gear. If it were lost I'd find the asshole who took it and beat the shit out of them, but if that wasn't an option I'd buy a new one. Again the only thing that was bad was the pickups everything else is amazing. I recommend ernie ball strings becuse they've lasted the longest out of every string I've tried. I wish that Gibson would put the short lyre vibrola tremelo back into production because it would make such a great addition to an already amazing guitar. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: black-sabbath, on december 26, 2007

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: This is a great guitar for only 310$. I'm not sure what year it was made in or where. It's got 22 frets which are all reachable thanks to the double cut-away. It's got a tune-o-matic bridge and it's made of mahogany. It's also got a thick neck which is great for me and my big hands. It's got 4 knobs, 2 volume and 2 tone and a 3-way selector switch (rhythm, both and treble). Unfortunately it didn't come with anything free. // 8

Sound: I love the sound of the G400. I just got it today for Christmas and love it. I just traded in my Fender Strat, and this is a huge improvement on sound. I play through a 25-watt Traynor bass amp, with a Line 6 UberMetal distortion pedal. I've noticed how much better the pickups are than on my Strat and it sounds slightly louder aswell. I play heavy metal and classic rock and the G400 suits it perfectly. It's got a nice, warm heavy sound without any noise. This guitar has a large variety of sounds, even without changing the settings on a pedal. Palm muting also sounds great and it's got awesome sustain tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up great. It's got only a few minor scratches because I got it at Long and Mcquade and you can go in and play them. They're barely noticeable though. There are no sharp edges of bad sanding jobs, the only thing is that they're is an extremely small amount of glue coming out of the sides of the trapezoid fret inlays. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons on this are very reliable. On my Strat the strap would fall off all the time and it doesn't fall off on my G400. I would definately use this at a gig without a backup. I see no reason why the hardware wouldn't last and everything is great. The finish is also perfect! // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is amazing as a 2nd or 3rd guitar and suits any sort of music with guitar distortion. It's a great guitar for heavy metal especially. I would buy this guitar ASAP if it were stolen and wouldn't even consider anything else at the same price. I love the shape of this guitar 'cause all the frets are reachable and the finish is shiny. This is my 2nd guitar and I'm 100% pleased with it! It's so much better than my Strat and only cost around 150$ more. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: jo3myster, on january 05, 2008

Features: My Epiphone G-400 is first off a special edition metallic blue version. I'm not sure on the year of it, but it is a replica of a '62 Gibson SG model. I belive the parts were made in vietnam, but the guitar itself was assembled and inspected in the U-S of A. It has 22 frets (medium sized I belive) with pearl trapeziod inlays, on a rosewod fretboard. It has a solid mahogany double cutaway body, with a nice looking metallic light blueish finish. It has 2 Volume knobs, 2 Tone knobs, and a 3 way pickup selector. It has chrome hardware It has some sort of Chrome humbucker pickups, which I plan on buying better ones like EMG's or Seymour Duncan's, but the ones it came with are good enough for now. It's got grover tuners. It came with a hard shell case, with furry stuff on the inside. That was $50.00 extra though. // 8

Sound: This guitar is very very "Flexible", because I can play bluesier stuff and it sounds great. I can play Metal sounds great, Classic progressive anything. But I mainly play most types of rock. I play this guitar through a Boss Metal Zone, Electro-Harmonix Big Muff, Dunlop 535q Wah-Wah pedal, througha DigiTech RP80 multi effects which goes to my Marshall half stack. Through that it sounds great. I also play through my Line 6 Spider III 15 watt practice amp, at night. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't have much to say about this because all-in-all it's fine with me. Plays great for me everything seems to be working great on it. So really no complaints here. The pickups I don't really like the pickups themselfs but they were installed properly and everything and they are good for now. Everything seeems to be set up all fine and dandy. And if anything ever does go wrong it would my fault because I probably will drop it or something. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar isn't built like a tank, but it is still pretty strong. I've already got some minor dings in it ans I did find one bigger ding that you can't really see because of it's position. The hardware seems like it should be good for quite a while, but that doesn't mean I won't upgrade later on. If I was at a gig this would be all I need if I didn't need a diffrent tuning wich I probably would but other wise yes, I would take this without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar is great for all ranges of playing skills. I myself am an intermediately skilled player and this guitar woks great for me, the price and the quality is just great. If this guitar was stolen I would have to save up for a while to buy it back so I would probably just save up even longer for an actual Gibson. Overall if you are a guitarist who is looking to buy a mid priced but good quailty Epiphone get this one. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 07, 2008

Features: I named mine "Johnny Bastard". This is because when I won the auction I wasn't sure when it was made or if it was made in China or Korea and since I don't normally buy Chinese goods I decided before it was shipped that it would have the aforementioned title. This G-400 was made in 2001 I believe. A factory in Korea is where it was made not sure of the name I've looked it up before but can't remember now. 22 frets I guess you could consider this a fat neck. Mine's a gloss black finish and the body is badass, Looks like something Batman himself would play if a guitar player. It's a pretty light guitar I must say but not so light as to make you think it's crappy. The stock bridge was a Tune-O-Matic but I switched it out with a Vintage style tremolo roller bridge from a Dillion dmg75t. everything else is pretty much stock. The pickups are epiphones. Tuners are epiphones. I just got the guitar and a soft Fender gig bag with the auction. I cut out a new pickguard out of a Strat-style green pearloid and it looks pretty cool. Maybe I'll make a truss-rod cover the same way. // 9

Sound: It suits my taste just fine. I play many styles ranging from general rock to blues and maybe a little funk and it does very well. Johnny Bastard goes well with the DigiTech RP350 I use. It handles nice with Whammy effects and mixes of delay reverb and distortion which I use regularly. This guitar is not really noisy at all I guess those humbuckers are actually bucking hum. I use my brothers' Johnson keyboard amp, Behringer Gx212 and Zoom Fire-30 with this guitar and it seems to sound delicious. The guitar can make a very full sound when using the treble pickup but that might depend on your other equipment. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set-up in the U.S. by Epiphone I guess. The action was pretty good when I got it but after I switched out the bridge it sat kinda high but adjustment isn't difficult. The pickups were at a superb position and there was no real problem in that area. The only flaws on the guitar was it's finish but since Johnny Bastard is gloss black this is understandable that flaws are easily recognized. Also considering this guitar is almost seven years old it seem to be in great condition. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar only once Live but I guess it could withstand more than that one performance. The hardware seems robust, the only thing I can say about it is that the nut broke off at the low E but that might've had something to do with the strings (.10s) I installed. The finish on this particular guitar seems to last but I wouldn't recommend throwing it around, Johnny Bastard has plenty of bruises from minor hits but again that might be in the black finish. The actual finish isnt bad at all it's the body that gets dents pretty easy. I could definitely use this guitar on a gig without a backup and feel confident. // 8

Overall Impression: Again I play mostly rock and blues or a mix of that and this guitar proves to be a great match. I've been playing for a couple of years and I also have a Dillion dmg75t, a Squier Bullet covered with stickers, a 1958 Kay hollowbody acoustic-electric, a 60s Harmony classical, and a guitar I made from scratch The Dragon Flapjack as I call it. I use mostly my bros equipment a Behringer gx212 amp and DigiTech RP350 mainly but also a crybaby mister and a Zoom fire-30 amp. I am pretty much satisfied with this guitar I haven't had hardly any problems with Johnny Bastard. I like just about everything about it besides the neck falling down when on a strap around my shoulders but other than that it's great. If you're looking for one to buy then shop around especially on ebay, even if it's used you'll prob. get a good deal. I also recommend the older ones, I think the newer ones made in China aren't set-up in the US like the koreans but I'm not 100% on those issues. My bro-in-law has a 2004-05 one made in Korea and it seems to be the same as mine besides the grover tuners on his. This guitar is prob. one of the best quality guitars in my fleet at least out of the electrics but it makes a hell of a guitar. I don't think I could ask for anything more. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 11, 2008

Purchased from: A Close Friend

Features: This guitar was made in 2006. It has 22 Frets. It has a solid body with an all black finish with all chrome hardware and I added a Bigsby for the Bridge. It also has 2 Tone and 2 Volume with a 3 way selector switch. It has the two stock humbuckers and Grover tuners, which hold tune very well for having a bigsby. The only thing I wish it had is a Floyd Rose tremelo but Gibson and Epiphone don't come with them so I guess the bigsby will do. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my style which is rock like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, and Van Halen. You'd be suprised but this things got enough balls for tapping solo's like Eddie Van Halen but yet a really good clean sound. I run it through my Line 6 PODXT Live and my Fender FM 212R Amp. This guitar is so quiet if I forget to turn off my POD and amp you won't even notice it's on, there is no buzzing and no feed back even with the heaviest distortion my POD has. It can make just about anysound through the channels in my POD and amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was awesome since the first day my friend bought it, I'm so glad he's upgrading to a White SG with three humbuckers and all gold hardware. There was nothing wrong with this beast of a guitar. The humbuckers were perfectly fine stock, I didn't have to get them adjusted at all. There was no flaws at all on this guitar except the first tone knob was loose but it slides right off and you can tighten the net so it was fine. But other than that this guiar was awesome stock. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar's finish is awesome and it has withstood two different people bashing on it for a year so yeah it can take Live play. I've never had a strap button even come loose on this thing so I'd say this is a damn good guitar for Live play and yes it's reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I Play mostly rock with some grunge/punk. I have a Fender Jagmaster, a Squier Strat, a cheap acoustic, a Line 6 PODXT Live, a Fender G-DEC 15W Amp and a Fender FM212R 100W amp, A Yamaha NP-30 keyboard, and finally a Fender Standard Jazz Bass. I've been playing for about three years. If someone stole this guitar from me I'd hunt his brave ass down and kill the motherf--ker! The thing I love most is how easy it is to play, you don't have to reach around like a les paul and it sounds awesome distorted and clean. I dislike that you can't get one with a Floyd Rose but a bigsby will do. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: MrFlibble, on may 30, 2008

Features: This is the Epiphone G-400, this particular version is the Limited Edition Custom Shop Alpine White finish. Made in China in 2006. Mahogany body and set neck, rosewood fretboard. All the usual SG controls and stuff. Comes with the Standard passive Epiphone humbucker pickups that they put on all of their mid-range models (in America this guitar came with active EMG pickups installed, us Europeans only got passives). Tuners are stamped Grover, and seem to be pretty good quality. Didn't come with anything extra, though that was probably just this store - most other places seem to always throw in a case. Overall nothing amazing, just exactly what you'd expect from an SG. // 7

Sound: I play mostly straight up rock music (Aerosmith, AC/DC, later Bon Jovi, etc), with a little blues and a little metal too at times. It suits this mix very well, of course as any SG should. It's at home with rock music, but it can be mellow enough for blues and it can be just fierce enough for some metal playing. I'm sure with a pickup change it could fit either perfectly. I'm playing this through a small Fender tube amp, with a variety of Boss and DigiTech pedals. I can get pretty much any tone I want, though I am finding the pure cleans (no effects or overdrive of any kind) to be a little bit lacking. In my experience though that's just down to the stock Epiphone pickups, which I would always advise you change anyway. Right now with very heavy distortion applied this guitar does get a little bit muddy, but again that's partly because of the bad stock pickups (which should be changed), and also since I'm using a Fender amp which is hardly known for their great distortion. There's no noise, even with the amp cranked and a distortion or overdrive pedal in use. I normally have a noise reduction pedal on, but with this guitar I've been able to take that out and I still don't have a noise problem. Overall I would say the sound is pretty good, and you can get a good variety of tones, but like all Epiphones, you'll need to change the stock pickups if you really want to make good use of this guitar. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up by the store, so I can't say anything about what the factory set-up might have been like. For what it's worth though, this guitar had a lot of fret buzz when I got it, though raising the bridge by a tiny amount fixed that, was easy enough to do, and I like higher action anyway. The guitar was made pretty much as perfectly as you could hope, no dodgy frets, everything snugly in place. The finish though had a few flaws; a couple of small bubbles on the back, some excess paint and glue in a few small areas where the fretboard meets the body, and along one of the horns there's a slight ridge where they obviously put a slightly thicker layer of finish on the top of the guitar than on the inside of the horn. None of this is really noticeable though unless you specifically look for it. Still, not entirely perfect. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would withstand Live playing, though I've not tried it yet myself. Everything on this guitar seems pretty solid and as good quality as you could hope for (without paying thousands for a Gibson or Vintage Fender, etc). I'll say again though, the pickups could do with changing, and if you were going to use this in a gig then you'd have to get rid of the stock pickups for sure. I think this guitar will last if taken care of, though it suffers from the same problem all SGs have, and that is that it's very neck-heavy. If you let go of it for a second, it swings down almost vertically straight down, and I think perhaps in the heat of a gig, it might be easy to accidentally knock this guitar. And in that case, Epiphone and Gibson guitars aren't well known for their headstocks taking punishment. So I'd definitely want a backup around. Take care of this guitar and it'll be no problem, but accidents do happen. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a little over two years now. I own many other guitars, though none of them are that great. This is probably now my second best guitar (my best being an Epiphone Joe Perry Boneyard Les Paul - which should damn well be better than this SG considering the Joe Perry cost over twice as much and has Gibson pickups). I feel like with a few Standard upgrades (new pickups, maybe a new nut), this guitar could last me solidly for a long time to come. If it was stolen, I'd hunt down the, no, wait, no I wouldn't. I'd call the police, let them do their job, claim the insurance, and buy a new one. I can't say I really compared this to other similar guitars on the market. Simply put, I've always liked the look of white SGs, and I was goign to buy the Alpine White twin neck SG that Epiphone also make, but I realised I actually had no use for the 12-string (aside from it look suitably badass), so I just bought the regular Alpine White G-400 instead. Truth be told, the finish and look was the main reason I bought this. It far surpassed my expectations (though that's not saying much since I only really bought it to put it on the wall and drool over it), and is already my favourite (if not technically best) guitar. The only things I wish were different are the few small flaws in the finish, and the stock pickups. Neither is much of a problem though and both are easy enough to overcome. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: jimmyled, on june 30, 2008

Purchased from: Kley-Zemer

Features: I didn't buy my guitar with dollars, but the money I bought it was not available here so I gave an estimate in dollars. Make: My guitar is Korean made, but still very good (as opposed to the Mexican Strat). It has 22 frets (and a half) all of which are smaller than most guitar frets I've seen, so some people have trouble playing it, as their fingers are much too big, but it's perfect for me (as I have long and thin fingers). Neck and body: my SG has a rosewood fretboard (with mother of pearl inlay) and a thin neck (also a problem with some people). The body is solid and made of mahogany, same as the neck, and features the "Devil's Horns" cutaway, the Standard and nice cherry finish and a Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar. Pickups: I've got two Alnico classic humbuckers with chrome covers and Alnico V magnets (which are passive, but still provide a high output) which are controlled by two volume and two tone knobs and a three way selector (rhythm pickup, both pickups and treble pickup). Head: the tuners are Grover made and don't lock and tune very easily and quickly. The head is back (as is the pickguard) and has a panel saying SG on it, and Epiphone and the symbol in mother of pearl. // 10

Sound: The Epiphone G-400, like it's counterpart, the Gibson SG, fits every music style, becoming a widely used guitar, like the Strat and it's imitations. I'm currently using it with a Zoom G7.1 UT effects panel and a 15w Ibanez amp, and the sound is really good. I prefer using Rhythm on 10 volume and 0 tone, and the Treble on 7 volume and 10 Tone, but it can be used in many different ways (you can have a fake killswitch using 10 volume on one one pickup and 0 on the other and Switch them constantly). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came flawless, and now, after a year and a half of usage it's still so, except a few minor scratches. It was properly set up and built. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, as well a fit for any style, is also fit for many circumstances. I've played it Live, and except the problem with the sound-man (I was really low volume), it sounded excellent. It's supposed to last 10 years at least, but I think it can survive more than that, as it's still in perfect conditions, and highly dependable. The finish is good and lasting, and it only scratched off in the back of my guitar because of my brother, and only at the top layer. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar rocks! It's perfect almost to the last detail, making me wonder what the Gibson will sound like! If it were stolen I would go after the man (or woman) and split their belly open with a chainsaw and then strangle them with their own intestines. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: NothingButRock, on august 11, 2008

Price paid: A$ 599.99

Purchased from: Guitarparadise

Features: I'm fairly sure it's one of the new models built in Korea, not entirely sure of the year. It has 22 frets and 24.75" scale, with a mahogany neck and body, rosewood fretboard and a cherry finish. It has the double cutaway SG style body, two humbucker pickups made by Gibson, a three way selector with two tone and two volume controls and Grover tuners. I also was given an Epiphone hardcase with my purchase. // 8

Sound: I play mostly blues and classic rock and the SG seems to suit my style perfectly, handling most things I play. I'm currently using an RMS G80 with it, but have played through many other amps with it, generally having gain at 12 o'clock - 3 o'clock. The guitar can go from smooth, mellow sort of sounds to bright crunches easily, it's tone knobs are surprisingly sensitive, I was impressed by this. I've played things from Johnny Cash to Megadeth on it and it handles it all pretty well, the cleans on it aren't the best, but I can still cope with it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it the action was painfully low, just about every note was accompanied by fret buzz. Once I raised the action it was great though. The pickups were adjusted fine till I decided "No, I think I'll have to change it" and even after I messed around with the pickups heights it still wasn't to bad. Aside from the action I have absolutely no problems with it's set up at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has withstood a year of my playing, so it can't be that bad. However my main problem is that since the body is so light the guitar is neck heavy. I've dropped it several times and contrary to popular belief the neck didn't break. Hell, the neck seems Bullet proof, however the body has been dented a little. The strap bolt near the neck is definitely the one you have to watch for, not that the bolts bad, but as I said, neck heavy. I'd gig it without a backup in a second, not a problem. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play blues-rock mostly and the G-400 really suits it. I've been playing for three years and have only own crappy little eBay guitars before this, but have played various others (Ibanez, B.C. Rich, Gibson, Magnum, Aria etc.) and all in all this guitar seems to hold it's own pretty well. If it was stolen I'd probably get something else, not because I dislike the guitar, but because I'm after another sound. I love how easy it is to access the fret board and how light it is. I hate the fact that it's neck heavy, but beggers can't be choosers. From the other products I compared it to this is definitely one of the best in the price range. This guitar will always have a special place in my heart. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: TMF128, on august 28, 2008

Features: The SG G-400 is a made-in-China guitar with 22 frets. It's got a solid body, double-cutaway, solid mahogany body, set mahogany neck. Slim-tapered neck profile, 24-3/4" scale length, 1.68" nut width. Dual Alnico V humbuckers, 2 volume and 2 tone controls, Rosewood fretboard, Pearloid trapezoid inlays, Chrome hardware, and a Stopbar tailpiece. All very nice. The pick-ups can scratch sound sa little sometimes though. I also wasn't a big fan of how big the frets were. It is easier for playing crazy stuff, but for othr things like chords and power chords it is a little harder, but all SG's have that. It doesn't make that big of a difference anyway. // 9

Sound: I play punk and grunge, and the SG is great. It also good for rock, or any type of music. The fret width is smaller, so you won't have to reach your fingers farther apart to get a good fret range. If you are playing stuff like chords, it will be a little harder to do that. The tone is great for anything, you control all the power with the pick-up selector. I use it with a Line 6 Spider III 15 Watt, which is probably the best 15 Watt amp there is. You can get whatever tone you want with it. The pick-ups are great for harmonics, I love playing natural harmonics with this thing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There were no flaws in my guitar when I got it. Everything was fine except the strings that came with it, but almost every pair of strings that comes with an Epiphone or Gibson aren't good. I switched those out for some ernie ball regular slinkys. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definately withstand however you play. This guitar probably is lined-up with the Epiphone Les Paul Standard as the best Epiphone guitar (others tend to get bad reviews.) The hardware will last, as long as you don't screw it up yourself. The strap buttons stay fine, and you can depend on it. I would still bring a backup anyway, because that is how I am. The finish is still good, and I had mine for 2 months already. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play punk and grunge, and this is great for that. I have been playing since I was 11, and learned to play by myself. I used to have a Hohner Rockwood, which is basically a Strat that is not a Squier. The tone on the G-400 is way better than that. All I wish I have done before I got this was to get it in red. Although if I lost it, I wouldn't buy another. I would rather get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard instead, because I plan on using some Gibson SG's in the future. I love how this guitar looks and it's tone, I just slightly don't like the fret size. My favorite feature would probably be putting the pick-up selector on treble, and then rocking (if you consider that a feature.) I didn't compare this to any other product, but I just wish it had medium-large size frets like the Les Paul. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: ierostyle, on september 01, 2008

Purchased from: Absolute Music (Local Retailer)

Features: This was made in 2006/7 in the far east China I believe, it has a 22 fret neck typical of most guitars of this type, being a replica of the 1960's SG I believe it most likely has the nice 60 neck but I don't know wether that is unique to gibsons? I haven't played the Gibson so I couldn't tell you. The body itself is the classic SG design featuring 2 passive humbucker pickups and a tune o matic bridge. One of the guitars nicest features is the Grover tuners that really help the guitar stay in tune they work really well, still it does suffer from the good old g string problem as seems to be the case with most my guitars, where the g goes out fairly quickly. No accessories and suprisingly no warranty came with this guitar. // 8

Sound: The guitar has a really nice sound to it, I play through a Marshall JCM 2000 TSL60 amp through a Marshall MG412 cab. It gets a nice tone, nearly what I want it's oh so close, I need something just to push it over the edge, which is why I'm getting a Seymour Duncan sh4 for the bridge. As stock it is a really nice guitar capable of some nice sounds, not quite there for my personal requirements, but then I play a lot of hard rock and need pretty high output pickups and the stock doesn't quite give me enough but the guitar in itself can handle anything I through at it from puck to metal to blues rock to really crisp beautiful cleans it can get them if you dial those tones right. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is quite nice, when I changed the strap buttons to accomodate schaller strap locks they kept on coming loose so I had the holes filled and re drilled by my local workshop but then that cost me only 10 so it's not a bank breaker, the shop set my guitar up for me so it was in pretty good order. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's a nice reliable guitar, I rely on it every gig and it's my main guitar, the strap buttons are sollid now, but then I use schaller strap locks so it should be! there are a few dinks which have come pretty easily which is really annoying but then I's kept in a gig bag not hard case so it's my fault! // 7

Overall Impression: I like this guitar I would personally by an Epi Les Paul Custom if I had to replace or upgrade I just like the feel of a LP but it's great, and I would recomend this to any intermidiate player out there. I've been playing for about 2 years and have quickly upgraded all my equipment and this is still with me after about 8/9 months or more so it must be doing something right! // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: Raglngbull, on december 08, 2008

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: The guitar was made in korea 2005/6, It has 22 frets, 24.75'' scale, Mahogany body and set mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard, Grover tuners, Tune-o-matic bridge, Passive electronics, 2 volume 2 tone 1 for each Alnico V humbucking pickup. Typical SG "Horns" style body. // 7

Sound: This guitar suits some of The Music I play I say some because it can pull off rock riffs and cleans but struggles to achieve a strong metal sound, I currently play the guitar through Vox-AD15VT and occasionally a Dunlop Crybaby wah when needed. The guitar is a little noisy at times but shielding the electronics and giving it a pickup upgrade would probably solve this. The guitar can produce a good variety of sounds, Cleans, Crunchy rock tones, Bluesy tones. But struggles to produce a decent metal tone. With that said this guitar is very much a rock guitar metal heads will be disappointed unless they are going to change out the pickups for some EMGs/Seymore Duncan blackouts. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well from the story I'm not sure about the factory setting I think the store set mine up before selling me it. The pickups we're adjusted well as I said before though this was probably the stores handywork. Now the guitar had a few flaws I found the higher frets 20-22 are not very comfortable to play but other then that there was only a few superficial flaws. The tuning pegs (grover tuners) have never failed me once sometimes come loose but that's solved easilly with 3 minutes and a screwdriver. The input jack has come loose and could possibly have caused some of the things I will put in the next section. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar with a lot of love and some upgrades could withstand gigging. The hardware especially the grover tuners are very robust and none of the hardware has ever broken for me, I only play this guitar sat down really it's more a bedroom guitar for me but it has a strap on and the strap buttons have never come loose when I have used it standing. All sounds good right? Well this is a good guitar and plays very well for rock but the one thing that I really honestly hate about this guitar is the electronics the input jack has come loose from the wiring itself many, many times and it's becoming a ritual that I have to re solder it atleast once a month. My guess is that the poorly placed input jack gets caught on things or knocked and comes loose. For that reason alone I wasn't very impressed by the durability. // 6

Overall Impression: I play alsorts of music but mainly metal, This guitar is versatile but it doesnt't suit metal that's one style it's only mediocre in I've found. I've been playing around 4 years now and played this guitar 3 of those 4 years and I feel like it's time for an upgrade I'm thinking about buying a Jackson next, I think that will suit my playing a lot better then this guitar. If it was stolen I wouldn't buy it again, However even though the electronics always break on me, I'd still miss this guitar been around with it's shiny cherry finish and classic "horns" design. I think if I had to list what I loved about it and what I hated about it I'd say I love how it looks and sounds but on the flipside I hate that it can't play metal well and those electronics *shakes fist*. My favourite feature about this guitar has to be that design and finish. I have compared this to many guitars of a simalar price range and just wish I bought a Jackson DKMG for a little more it seems a lot more versatile and those EMG 81/85s... To sum up, this guitar is good for rock and cleans a decent starter guitar however those electronics have put me off buying another Epiphone ever again. // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: raymo39, on december 22, 2008

Price paid: A$ 469

Purchased from: Allan's Music Alexandria

Features: This guitar was made in I believe 2007, in China. It has 22 Standard frets and a scale of 24.75". Solid body guitar, fretboard is rosewood with trapezoid inlays, body is mahogany and the neck is set mahogany. It is the faded cherry red finish which I am a huge fan of, because I love the Vintage look. It has a Standard Gibson style stopbar bridge, 2 alnico humbuckers, neck and bridge, both with individual tone and volume control. single three way tone selector and locking tuners, not sure of the brand. // 10

Sound: I mostly play blues and metal using this guitar. People looking for Huge gain with these pick-ups will need that to come from a pedal or their amp, this guitar it's great for crunchy sounds through to Standard metal tones without being really overdriven. I play this through an Orange amp and stuff by bands like Cream and Zep is just sublime. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The pick ups were great on this guitar straight out of the box, no height adjustment needed. The action was a tiny little bit high, but that was a personal preference thing, I wouldn't have expected a different action off the shelf so I'm happy with what I got. Every thing on this guitar came out just the way I wanted it, except the action straight off the shelf, selector is quiet, bridge well aligned, haven't undone the strings to check how much vibration the tuning knobs cause, but no quandries. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the guitar too long, so I haven't gigged it yet, but it feels light but solid, so Live play shouldn't be a problem. The hardware seems to be in good condition. The strap buttons are well screwed in at the moment, nothing loose. I would depend on this guitar for any gig, but I never gig without a backup, if I had no other choice, it wouldn't bother me, but iv been in trouble before, back ups are beauties. no reliability issues YET! it's still very early days. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great match for my style of music, it provides the crunchy humbucker tone iv been looking for. Iv been playing now for 5 years and have a Flying V and a Strat, there was something with my V, it just didn't give the tone I was looking for, and this guitar fills that void, and then adds some of it's own attitude. if it were stolen I'd probably buy a Gibson, but that's only because I've wanted one for a while now, that fact doesnt't reflect the quality of this guitar at all. My only dislike is the minor weight issue, the neck tends to want to fall down if ur playing in the seated position, but you get used to it pretty fast. I compared this guitar to a LP in the shop, but in terms of price point vs price, I couldnt go past this guitar, I got it for an absolute bargain, and it's definately real. The only thing I wish this guitar had was a more Vintage looking fret board, but all will come with time. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: Tsotsi757, on january 09, 2009

Features: It was made in 2007. It has 22 frets and it has a 24-3/4" scale length. I puchased the wood top, but you can also buy the laminated top as well. No finish ont his guitar. The body style is an SG (used by angus young). The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic. Two volume and Tone controls are given it also has a two way selector. The guitar has two Dual Alnico V humbuckers. The tuners are non locking, but they are chrome. // 9

Sound: I play metal, heavy metal, and rock. It suits all of those styles. I am using a Line 6 Spider3 15w. It can be very noisy, and it is rich and bright when played clean. The guitar can't do divebombs, but it can make good pinch harmonics and such. The guitar has very good variety. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was amazingly set up at the factory. The pickups are perfect right out the box. Everything was properly mounted, and the people at guitar center did a insepction on it as well. No flaws that I can see, except for one of the pickups was a little to high, but it was an easy fix. The top is properly bookmatched as well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand Live playing. The hardware, I am convinced, will last for a long time. The strap buttons were the only bad feature. The strap tends to slide off of them. You can depend on it, but I would not gig with it without another backup.The finish is good enough to last for a life time. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a good match for metal, rock, and other things. I have been playing for a year and a half. I would buy it again if it was stolen. I love the look and how easy it is to play the beauty. My favorite feature are thetone knobs. This guitar is perfect for me, I wish nothing else of it // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2009

Features: This is a 2006 model, a replica of the 1962 model SG. It offers 22 Frets of rock goodness, and both of the alnico classic humbucking pickups have seperate tonal and volume adjustment knobs. Like most of the SG series it offers a tune-o-matic bridge, which makes changing strings, adjusting intonation and adjusting string height a hell of a lot easier than on my Strat. It is available in a cherry (redish) or ebony (black) finish. It has a mahogany neck glued into the mahogany body, which is shaped in the famous double-cutaway devil horns, and offers quite a low profile body thickness, in comparison to the les paul/explorer etc. The guitar came with a cable for the amp, however like most of these "free cables", it offered a weak tone and was way too short (1.5m) for anything other than sitting ridiculously close to your amp to play, thus causing feedback and other issues. So defiately plan ahead and purchase a deacent cable to use, I use a 6m Fender cable (about $30) and it's red, so it looks awesome with the guitar. // 8

Sound: I play a variety of Genre's of music and the SG is pretty much suitable for all of it, however it truly comes into it's own in the metal/rock riffs (Sabbath, ACDC, Motley Crue, GNR, etc).I play on a Vox AD30-VT, and it sounds okay, however if you were looking to purchase this guitar and a new amp at the same time, I would recommend looking at an amp from the Marshall/Line 6 family, as the distortion effects and quality on these amps is, in my opinion, better than on the Vox's. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it new, out of a box after testing the floor model instore, and immediatly lowered the action, adjusted the intonation and tightended the headstock pins, as this was not acceptable out of the box. The pickups were height-wise fine, and I've not had to adjust them in any way since purchase. One thing that has me pissed off, even thought some people will argue that it's a bit petty, is that the 4 knobs (2 x volume, 2 x tone) are not on the body straight, and the bottoms of them are not straight, making them look wobbly when you move them. That just seemed not really good, and was a bit dissapointing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have no issue in playing Live with this guitar, and I have a backup, (Strat) but would always prefer to use the SG. The body is quite strong, and apart from normal wear on the body from use and gigging, there is not additional damage that would not be expected. the finish is excellent, but does require constant cleaning if you want to keep the guitar looking pristene. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall the guitar is suitable for most people either starting out, or gigging in a band. I've been playing for 3 years now, and I've used the iceman's, the les paul's and the Strat's but the SG just screams "I Wanna Rock" over any of these other models, and this model in particular offers unbeatable value for money. I'm completely satisfied, and my next purchase (a Marshall 50watt amp) will probably bring out the beast in this already ballsy guitar even more. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 14, 2009

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: Musicstop

Features: This thing is wicked, ever since I tried it out I loved it! I had tried the one with 3 pick-ups but only had this one left, what lck did I have. The only problem is that you have to get a custom fit case to accompany the tilted head, no matter! This product is the best guitar I have ever owned. It took me all my Christmas money to buy it. I tihnk it has Grover Tuners and the stock strings are beastly. This guitar isnt that pricey either seeing as how I buy my own instruments. // 10

Sound: This guitar has a beastly sound screaming from the pick-ups, it's perferct for those ACDC and EVH players out there. There's no buzz or noise emitting from the pick-ups and the toggle Switch is genius! Put it on Rythym to play a lead or Treble to play a solo, the middle is great for anything. As far as amps go this guitar is a beaut' I tried it out connected to a Marshall Micro Stack. Man was that me playing! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action, Fit & Finish: Amazing set-up, action is perfect, pickups were adjusted beautifully, Properly bookmatched top, Properly routed bridge, no flaws from this one! Fretwire, finish, wood, no rust, no loose pegs, nut, saddle, pickup selector, controls, etc... All perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Haven't played it Live yet. Hardware is tough, and the strap buttons are tougher than The Rock. This finish wont die! It's tough and took only a few hours-1day to climatize to my house from The Music store.I would use this without a backup thats how tough it is! // 10

Overall Impression: I play any style, and it fits, this is amazing. I have been playing for 4 years and I only own 1 other guitar and it's my SamickD5 acoustic. I would buy this guitar 100000000000 times if it got stolen! I love everything about it, I ahte nothing, and my favourite feature is the pickups, I wouldn't compare this to anything, I chose it on looks, and sound/recommendation. I wish it had Gibson SG pickups. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: lao123, on january 27, 2009

Features: Made in China in 2007. The neck is set-mahogany, 22 frets with rosewood-trapezoid inlays. The axe is constructed from more mahogany, the finsih a gorgeous cherry. I love the curved horns of the SG, and I prefer it much to the cheap Gibson SG Special Faded. It has a tune-o-matic bridge with stop bar. It has a three way Switch, and 2 Alnico V humbuckers. It has a volume and tone control for each. Not sure about the tuners, but they work well and aren't 'touchy'. The Rockshop through in a Warwick hardcase, strap and cable. The only thing I don't like is that you always have to support the neck, which can be dangerous. // 9

Sound: I tend to play alternative rock and pop-punk, and this guitar gives a wonderful sound for that. I use a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amp, and Boss OS-2 overdrive/distortion, and Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter. I can get a heavy, distorted sound, and also get a chorused clean sound good for if I ever do want to play classical songs. The sound is brighter than a Les Paul, but still can nail that tone. It isn't noisy unless I over-do the distortion, or use the amps distortion. It is a very good guitar for all styles, and I recommend for anyone Who can't afford a top tier guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set well for me, but I have had some buzz from the strings vibrating on the D and A string. Not much a problem through the amp. Easy to fix if I could be bothered. I don't know much about adjusting pickups, but the sound is wonderful. All the hardware was set up correctly, and works well. This will vary but Epiphone is a quality brand so I would expect most guitars set up well. The finish is beautiful, and I love the cherry finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily withstand Live playing, unless you are very clumsy. I expect the hardware will last, but I may replace the pickups in the future for a different sound. The strap buttoms are good, but I recently tightened one maybe 90 degrees. It wasn't a problem though. I would gig without a backup, the only thing I would worry about is a broken string. The finish will definitly last, and any fading I have had I haven't noticed. I hve seen new models in the store and they look identical. I still would recommend a strap lock, you can never be too safe. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before I play alternative rock, and pop-punk mainly, with aa touch of hardcore-rock and metal, and also soft rock. This guitar plays these wonderfully, and probably plays most genres well. I have been playing since 04, and my amp and stompboxes compliment the sound. I wish I had been told about strap locks when I bought it at New Year 08, I am planning to buy one nexy month... I would defintly somehow buy it again, I hope insurance would cover it. I love the look, it is SO much cooler than a Squier Strat. Still I am planning to buy a Mexican Fender Tele in a years time. When I bought it I was given a few others to test, but hastily played them so I could just buy this ASAP! I wish it wouldn't have to be supported though. Now whenever I play other guitars I always have my hand there to support it. It would be nice if the scratch guard was one that cover more of the body, but this is just cosmetic. Overall a wonderfull guitar, and I recommend to beginners, and experts alike. (Unless you can afford Gibson... ) // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: joeisnesqiuk101, on january 27, 2009

Features: My epihone G-400 is a pretty nice guitar! it's made in china I believe. it has 24 frets and it's a great guitar for everyone! The material on the fretboard is rosewood, so it's safe for Dunlop lemon oil! ( or any cleaner for guitars) The finish on my guitar is a custom finish (Epiphone custom shop). The body is a cutaway SG. the bridge is tune-o-matic! really helpful if you want to make changes on the action of the guitar! it has 2 volume, on for each pickup, and 2 tone, one for each pickup. it has a treble and a bridge pick up (2). it has humbucker pickups. the tuners are grover tuners, really nice! and if you get it new in the box, it has a cable, and one hex-wrench, and an instruction book. // 9

Sound: well the guitar pick ups have a lot of variety! I play classick rock to surf style music to heavy metal! I have a Line 6 15 w amp with flange, chorus, phaser, tremolo, tape echo, sweep echo, and reverb. The fuzz from this guitar is all from your amp! if you have an olf Fender 15 w, it will sound like crap! but if you get a new nice amo, it sounds beautiful! I play a lot of U2 and led zeppelin. it can make a lot of different sounds if you have the right amp! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was alright, it could have been a little bit closer to the fret board though, just a little bit! The pick are greatly adjusted to an almost perfect set up! The neck is a glue on, really nice and stable. my old SG had a loose nob and it broke down in a 3 months! So just in case, make sure you have insurance or something! Like I said before, my finish is custom. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The reliabilty of the parts are okay. it will be perfect if you don't do any tom morello killswitch crap! That's how they break. If your going to do that, get a custom Switch modified for you. the hardware will last a long time, but have insurance just in case! the strap buttons are really nice and solid! And yes, you can depend on this guitar to last a while! I don't think you need a backup guitar for a gig, but it's really on your mind though. and the finish will last for a long time. // 7

Overall Impression: The guitar is truly nice and almost perfect.if would defenitly get this guitar again, and again, and again. It's a great guitar for almost any style of music. It's more of a rock and roll guitar, not really for blues or country. I was going to get a les paul, but it was just too heavy and way to big. The cutways on this guitar allow al acces to the frets, so it's really good for solos. The SG is a sure buy! // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: J hop, on february 06, 2009

Purchased from: guitar center monroeville

Features: This baby is alpine white, with a black pick-gaurd, double cut-aways, two humbuckers, 3-way toggle Switch, two volume and two toning knobs, 22 frets, and a rosewood fretboard. You have the option of getting a gig bag or a case with it. I went with the gig bag just because it was easier on my wallet. // 10

Sound: The sound is pretty nice on this guitar. The toggle Switch and four knobs gives you a good rang of sound and tone. My amp is the Line 6: Spider III 15, which has lots of effects, and no matter what setting I turn it on or effects I change, it all sounds good! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This was a nicely-made guitar. I'd say the only thing I found wrong with it, was that I was stuck with a cheeper wood, so it's real easy to dent. I have to be more careful when carrying it and pay closer attention to it when it's resting on something. The pick-ups were put in great, the tuning pegs aren't loose and work great, the four knobs work smoothly, the bridge is good, and nicely done neck. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It is a pretty reliable and durable guitar, but I'm not so sure if I was to use it in a gig. If I'm gunna be walking around and headbanging, I wouldn't feel that safe because next thing I know, there's a huge dent in it or maybe even a chunk taken out of it. // 7

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar for metal and heavy metal, which is the type of music I play. It's pretty nice, especially for my first guitar. I havint had many problems with it, other then the dent factor, and I've owned it for four months now. When I was shopping for a guitar, I chose this one because of it's great features, and it's affordable price. Pretty much the only thing I would change if I could, would be the wood. I already have two dents in it. I'm hoping it lasts me a good while. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: Zen_13k, on may 20, 2009

Price paid: C$ 200

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: My G-400 was made in 2002, in korea, it has Gibson deluxe tuners with the perloid ends. It has 2 humbucking pickups and 2 volume/tone knobs with a 3 way Switch. The body is a transparent red, with the wood grain clearly visable. Typical Gibson set up with the Standard bridge. No other accessories were given with the guitar, the only thing I did was re-string the guitar with the string gauges I prefere to play. // 8

Sound: The kind of music I play varies a lot from sublime to led zepplin, to Black Sabbath ect.. This guitar sounds awesome no matter the kind of music played. I play through a Fender G-DEC 30 amp and depending on the kind of music I change the amp settings accordingly. The pickups don't give off much noise unless I have the gain cranked way up on my amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it from the pawn shop I tested it out there and the string set up was amazing, it was really low action, almost to the point of playing by touch. Completely different from my squire Strat. The pickups were set up with the neck pickup low and the bridge pickup high and sounds great. The only flaws I can see is one screw on the pickguard isnt properly seated but that's very minor also one scratch near a tuner, possibly the tuners were changed, but I don't know. One tone knob is loose as well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As for Live playing I would trust this guitar 100% but that's personal preference. As for a back up guitar I would probably wouldn't need one provided I have a cheap strap lock for the strap button on the back of the guitar. As for the strap buttons the only one to give me a problem is the one on the back of the guitar, it tends to let go and make the guitar nose-dive (happened while jamming with some friends, luckly no damage to the guitar). The finish seems to be durable and will last a long time, and it a beautiful color. // 7

Overall Impression: For what I play I think this guitar suit's me perfectly, the only other one I would want is my accoustic. I have been playing for a little over a year, and own a squire Strat wich hasn't been used for the longest time, I also own a Takamine EG341C accoustic, and a squire P-Bass. If my G-400 was stolen I would definatly try to get it back, if I couldnt I would definatly get another one, as I jokingly say it's my "poor mans SG". I love the comfort of playing it, the fact it's light but packs a unique sound that is difficult to get with other guitars, the only dislike is the back strap button for reasons I have mentioned above. I chose this guitar cause it caught my eye and basically screamed BUY me when I walked into the pawn shop and it's been my favourite guitar ever since. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: strummingintime, on may 20, 2009

Purchased from: Motor City Guitar

Features: I bought it Brand New in 07. There's a sticker on the guitar that says it was set up and inspected in the US but if I took a guess I'd say it was made in China. It has a Mahogany fretboard It's body was compressed Mahogany with a faded finish and a SG body. It had 2 volume and 2 tone controls and a 3-way selector. It had 2-Alcino V humbuckers non-locking tuners and Standard factory tuners. I bought a case with it that has kept it realtively safe. // 8

Sound: The sound on this piece is decent for an SG, can't compete with a Gibson of course but it worked well with the 60-watt Behringer 112X amp I used. It could get some great sounds wiht overdrive ranging from metal to a decent but somewhat drab Acoustic. I also liked how well the electronics could stand up to the multiple effects from the DigiTech RP 150, my friends that I've used with the SG before. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Action was very well set-up fromt the factory low enough for comfort and not buzzy. The pickups needed work which I had someone adjust for after a while. A quick note on the action, I actually forgot to change my strings for over a year (I was still relatively new to guitars, well am) and it still played fine with very little buzz and that only from crappy strings. As far as the bridge all the strings were well routed with almost no mistakes. However it was the wood that killed my good feelings for this guitar. My neck was broken twice on it simply by someone knocking off it's stand a maybe 2 inch drop and falling on carpeted surfaces. The second time it just fell forward and the headstock along with part of the neck was broken off. The reason for this was the fact that the Mahogany wood is compressed making the guitar extremely light compared to say, Gibsons, but in the end take away from the durability and quality of the guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As I mentioned above the wood on mine at least was compressed to the point of killing the guitar. As far as the electronics go it worked fine as I mentioned in the sound section and I played this guitar on weekly sets for about a year with it standing up to all except a few falls. The faded finish I got is actually more durable than the laminated kind because as I played it a finish formed on it from just running my hand up and down the neck. // 6

Overall Impression: It was a great starter guitar for me and I loved it while I played it but overall it couldn't stand up to a few light knocks. I'm not saying this is a terrible guitar and the neck problems I've had could just be me but overall I would save your pennies and buy an Ibanez, one of the few guitar brands that give quality sound and structure for a decent price. // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on september 02, 2009

Features: Mine is a 2007 Chinese made, model that comes with the Cherry Red finish and has a Mahoghany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard and Block Inlays. Electronics include 2 Alnico Classic covered humbuckers and a 3 way pup Switch, along with 2 sets of volume and tone controls. The bridge is a tune-o-matic with a stop tailpiece and the tuners are Grovers. // 9

Sound: I play Classic rock & 80's hair metal and this guitar seems to be just perfect for my type of music. I'm using my Crate GTD120 combo with it and the distortion on it, just screams with the pickups on this guitar. The pups on this sounds very crisp and bright, even when using a clean setting on my amp. The only effects that I use are the Chorus settings on my amp and it sounds great with this guitar. This is a very underrated instrument. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I swapped a Epiphone Les Paul Studio yesterday for this because the weight of the LP, was hell on my back and this is a much welcomed relief. The prior owner did not have this setup properly which was probably why he wanted to do a trade. He complained to me that it wouldn't stay in tune at all. Once I did a intonation check and a setup on it, I found out that it stays in tune with no problems whatsoever! I'm pleased as punch with this guitar and I personally think it's better than the LP Stdio. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm sure that this guitar will last me a lifetime only because I do take care of my equipment and do preventive maintenance on a regular basis. I could use this on a gig without a backup, that much I'm very sure of. I always make it a point though, to have a extra guitar ready in case of a broken string or something else. Better to be safe than sorry, I always say. // 10

Overall Impression: I had bought one of these over 3 years ago and at the time, I wasn't impressed with it, due to the shoddy workmanship and lack of a proper setup, but in due time, I've since learned how to do setups on Epiphone and Gibson style guitars and have found out that once setup properly that most Epiphones are really great guitars, and this one is no exception. I've been playing for over 36 years, mostly Fenders and this is a welcome change. Seeing as I'm a huge AC/DC fan, I'm having a blast with this guitar and there's no way in hell that anyone will ever pry this from my fingers. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: 1nSingularity, on december 11, 2009

Price paid: A$ 550

Features: SG style Mahogany body and neck set neck 22 nickel-silver frets rosewood fingerboard 24 3/4" scale tune-o-matic bridge w/ stopbar tailpiece dual Alcino V humbuckers w/ chrome covers independent vol/tone controls 3-way toggle Switch not sure when and where it was made. // 9

Sound: I play alternative rock/metal styles mostly, and it suits both perfectly. With the right amount of gain you have a great metal sound, suits classic rock great, and it also gives a fair clean tone from the bridge pickup. The bridge pickup gives a much more universal tone, wheras the neck pickup is a bit darker and muddier. The guitar is actually not particularly muddy as most people claim, you just need the right amp settings. It has a very rich sound, and often quite thick, which I quite like. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Haven't changed anything since I bought it, and it's still great. There's quite a bit of fretbuzz when unplugged, but amping it up fixes that. It goes out of tune sometimes as well. The action is quite comfortable for me, it came stocked with 9-42 strings I think, and I switched to 10-46 and it's still great. The neck joint looks a bit shabby, as in it looks a bit out of place, but that's compared to a Gibson, which is picture perfect. I haven't gotten it professionally set up for intonation, and it does need that, but I haven't had the time to do that. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've gone through my original and a replacement, and it's broken down on me 3 times overall in the same way - the connections inside have become desoldered, that is, the solder has come off. I've had it for only 4 months. Other than that, it's fine. I wouldn't gig with it at all, maybe with a backup, but I'm probably going to get something different anyway. The only flaw is the internal connections, but that's a pretty major flaw. // 2

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play alternative rock/metal, and it works fine. It's better than my previous guitar, which was a Strat copy, in every way but the reliability. If it was stolen or lost I would probably stay away from Epiphones in general, I'd probably save for a Gibson Les Paul or maybe an Ibanez. It does look very nice, and it has an amazing rich tone, but it's so fragile. I did compare it to a Les Paul, and I preferred the tone and feel of the SG at the time. I'm not so sure now though. It does have a heavy neck in comparison to the lightweight body, but a leather strap does fix that, as it grips much better to your shoulder. Overall it's a fairly decent guitar given it doesn't break. // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: britishsligean, on march 17, 2010

Price paid: € 259

Purchased from: waltons, dublin

Features: Made in May 2007 in China. 22 jumbo fret mahogany neck, and solid one piece double cutaway mahogany body, with 2 passive Epiphone alnico v humbucking pickups, with 2 volume and 2 tone pots. Chrome Epihphone locking tune-o-matic bridge, with chrome Grover non locking tuners. Available in ebony and cherry satin finishes. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style of playing perfectly, it goes from a bluesy sounding guitar, to a metal players dream guitar. I've played it through a tenson scream 15, Vox classic rock amplug, and a Blackstar ht-5 combo, and it sounded very impressive, even through a Boss ds-1 is sounds very impressive. The only downside I've found with this guitar is the pickups do not sound as bright as I would like. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box it was perfect and it required no work to be done on it. The intonation was perfect, string height was also perfect I only got some fret buzz if I really plucked the string hard, and the pickup height was perfect as well. The body was well finished and all routing appeared to have been professionally done. The output jack became loose after a few weeks but that was easily fixed with a spanner. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Bearing in mind it is a cheap guitar, I would say it would stand up to live playing and you could get away without having a backup, personally I wouldn't use it live but if you were strapped on cash it would do fine. The strap buttons are solid but the strap button nearest the neck is in a bad place behind the neck joint on the back of the guitar, so playing standing up can be abit tricky. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar suits all the styles I play, even though I haven't been playing properly for long I have not had any desire to get rid of it. If it was stolen I would probably look at getting one of the prophecy sg's as they come with better pickups, for about the same as it would cost to replace them with new ones. I have no regrets buying this guitar, and I am really satisfied with it, and I can see the potential of what making a few minor mods can do to it. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: Guppygod0018, on march 30, 2010

Purchased from: guitarampkeyboard.com

Features: Ok so here is the Epiphone G-400. A very close copy of the Gibson SGs with the earlier style (my preferred) half pickguard. I got mine in mid 2009 so I'm guessing it was made around that time. They come in right and left handed models, thank god, and in two finishes, Cherry and Ebony. Its a solid mahogany guitar with a solid set in neck. Grover Standard tuners at one end and a good quality tune-o-matic bridge with stop bar. 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard and a good flat neck perfect for my hand size. My Cherry poly finish is translucent, showing off the beautiful wood grain beneath, while the Ebony poly finish does not. Its well applied and smooth all over though. 2 Alnico V humbuckers each with their own tone and volume knob for awesome control and sound adjustment. Theres a 3 way selector Switch that gives a satisfying click when changed. Overall A 9 For good quality and value. Misses a 10 because of the slightly too flexible neck, nothing big though, it wont fail on you, trust me. // 9

Sound: Think AC/DC, Sabbath and any other hard hitting, gut twisting raw rock sound and that is pretty much what you get with this guitar. I run mine through a cord straight to my Marshall Valvestate 8080 for the perfect Rock sound, pedals just get in its way in my opinion. It growls, roars and even screams. Whack it into crunch and you have sort of caged the beast and you can hear it struggle against the gain barrier attempting to break it. Then theres clean, a dormant beast; docile, warm and child friendly, I use both pick ups together for this setting for the best range and clarity. The tone knobs could do with a little more range but as there are separate ones for the rhythm and treble ones, it gets a nice fat 9. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were fine to play out of the box and are easy to adjust to your preferences. Theres a good smooth finish all over, and what looks, feels and sounds like good quality wood. Action could of been a little lower but thats just my preference. So far I haven't found any flaws, the pick up selector clicks, but that shows its doing its job properly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well i've had mine for bordering on a year now, played a few gigs with no back up and I haven't been punished as of yet, but its real test is now coming with the summer and the plenty of gigs that my band will be getting. Solid strap buttons make up for its neck heaviness. The pickup covers are slightly tarnished but this adds to the awesome look. The solid poly finish is very good if you like durability but personally I would of liked it to wear down a little more, I'm sure it will though over time. When I opened mine up, I could see that the electronics are there to stay and have been soldered with great skill and accuracy, no messy wires, just all neat and tidy. I have dented the headstock but thats understandable. So all in all, a very reliable work horse, it wont fail on you in most situations. I would like a back up just in case of extreme conditions (when I can afford one), but every normal gig, it will handle it fine. // 8

Overall Impression: So what we have here is a monolith in the mid price range guitars. Solid sound, construction and looks add up to a true beast of a guitar. Play it at a volume and feel the power of the incomparable sustain that this guitar has naturally. In my opinion, playing it with pedals is like putting an elephant in stilettos, wrong. And the elephant is likely to get angry and destroy the stilettos. For the price, It really is worth getting as a step up from your first guitar. Its awesome. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: Switchfoot Fan, on july 14, 2010

Features: At first sight the Chinese made Epiphone SG G-400 is as beautiful as any Gibson, but as you get a closer look the similarities are few. The signature SG shape is slightly out of proportion and the pickups also sound a lot different than the signate Gibson. The guitar itself came with no accessories and I had to buy a hardshell case for an extra $150. // 7

Sound: My music style is alternative rock: Switchfoot, Relient K, Skillet, Phoenix, and Parachute. This guitar fits pretty much any genre with the exception of classical and country. it sounds beautiful through pretty much any amp. It sounds great out of my Line 6 Spider III Exceptional! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is not factory set up, so I had to get someone to do it for me, wich cost me an extra $50. The finish is great but after a while the fingerprints show, and they're almost impossible to clean. The G string goes out of tune all the time and has to be adjusted after every play. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing, probably not. Does the hardware seem like it will last, that's neither her nor there. Are the strap buttons solid, yes, they are quite solid. Would you use it on a gig without a backup, no. Fairly durable can withstand minor scratches and can stay in alternate tunings for long periods of time (I kept in drop Bb for a week and barely had to tweak it). // 6

Overall Impression: In my oppinion, it's a great guitar for a stay at home player, or a beginner, but not good for a touring or gigging because of possible failure. What I expected was something close to Gibson but lesser quality, and that's what I got Overall impression: Fairly good. // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: makutoid, on july 30, 2010

Purchased from: Private Seller

Features: Made in 2004 somewhere in China, this has done pretty well. 22 frets on a mahogany fret board into a thin, nicely finished body. The tune-o-matic bridge is classic, it's always a good with humbuckers, gives a nice tight tone and keeps it in tune while your bending and stuff. A volume and tone for each pickup as well as the typical 3 way switch. The tuners are the kind of colour that looks like they're glow in the dark, I was kind of disappointed when I found out that they don't... // 7

Sound: The first thing I noticed when playing this, it's incredibly trebly. Which is great if you're playing Slash or other classic rock, but for clean its a bit of a disappointment. That may just be personal preference but when I play clean I like clear bass notes and good tone, not trebly with no sustain. Fortunately, I've never noticed any unwanted noise, with or without distortion. Due to the treble, which I think is partly due to how the guitar is weighted as your strumming arm ends up close to the bridge, it doesn't have a great range so you are kind of limited. However, the decent length neck means its a lot easier to play solos and for whatever reason you can bend the strings really easily, even with thick strings. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit dodgy as one side of the bridge was at rock bottom while the other was about 10mm off the neck... It didn't take long to sort out but it wasn't a great first impression. The pickups were in the right place and at a good height so that made it a bit better. There are no flaws in the finish or anything other than what I've acidentally put there myself, and there aren't many. It seems like the finish is pretty thin so it doesn't take much to chip it, you just gotta be careful with it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've only gigged it a few times, used for about 3 months after I got it before I got my Custom Strat. It held up pretty well, the finish kept quite clean and didn't scratch much either. The hardware is all pretty sound, fortunately the strap buttons are solid as they're in an awkward place, they could quite easily come off it they weren't any good. A 20 strap helps too :P // 7

Overall Impression: For my style this guitar isn't really what I tend to use. It's very trebly and a pain to use for rhythm as there's no real sustain and very low volume unless you add LOADS of distortion and play really hard. I bought it cause I've always wanted an SG, but it wasn't really all I'd hoped for. Honestly, I probably wouldn't bother replacing it other than for show. Besides, my girlfriend hates it :P // 6

G-400 Reviewed by: jeffo46, on august 17, 2010

Features: Mine is a 2009 G-400 Faded series in the Cherry Red finish, which I just got yesterday in a trade. Features include Grover tuners, Alnico Humbucker Classic Pickups, 22 Frets, Mahoghany body and Neck with a rosewood fretboard. Epiphone's Lock tite tailpiece system w/ tune o matic style bridge. 3 way pickup Switch and 2 sets of volume and tone controls. The body style is the Devil horn SG style which the late, Great, Les Paul hated. // 10

Sound: A lot of people tend to knock the stock pickups on these guitars but I think they sound just fine. If you adjust them properly, they'll sound nice and clear whether you're playing clean or distorted. I'm using this through a Zoom John 5 effects processor and a Fender Frontman 65R combo and I'm thoroughly pleased with the way this guitar sounds. IMO, the Chinese have upped their game at the Epiphone plant and are putting out some great product today that is much better than some of the crap that is coming out of Gibson USA. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The previous owner obviously didn't take care of this, so I had to tighten up the tuners, reset the intonation and adjust the truss rod a bit, along with adjusting the pickup height as well. Once I did all of that, it was as if I'd just recieved a brand new guitar and performed like one as well. I do like the Epiphone locktite tailpiece system, which helps maintain tuning stability and the Grover tuners are great as well. The neck on this is very fast IMO. I'm having a blast with this guitar and I can't put it down. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I baby all of my equipment, so durability should not be a problem here. I'm sure I could use this at a gig without a backup. I used to have a G-400 Standard a few years ago that I gigged with a few times and that guitar never gave me any problems. It's true that SG's are neck heavy but if you hold onto the neck, you won't have to worry about it falling and breaking on you. I do like the finish, which gives off a retro look and plus it saves me money on guitar polish. LOL! // 10

Overall Impression: I play 80's Metal and Classic Rock and ever since I got this, my USA Strat has been pushed to the side. I traded my 2006 MIM Strat for this and a Vox VT-15 amp which is also a great surprise as well. This guitar is definately a keeper and if anything ever happened to it I would go out and buy another one, seeing that they're only $300.00 brand new. They're one of Epiphone's best kept secrets and are much better than Gibson's faded series. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: Reesy666, on september 01, 2010

Purchased from: Local music store

Features: It was made in Korea, 2007. Neck and body are mahogany, it comes with stock Epiphone alnico 2 passive humbuckers, tune-o-matic bridge, two tone, two volume knobs and a three way selector switch. It's obviously an SG body- based on the early Gibson ones (1962 SG Standard I believe). Grover tuners which keep it in tune really well and it's in a blood red custom finish- I love it. // 9

Sound: This guitar is ballsy. You get a lot of raw punch from it- a lot more than Les Paul standards. It has a sharper, more aggressive sound than LPs. It's great for Hard rock and metal as Angus Young and Tony Iommi have clearly realised with their gibsons. When you dial the tone back it is a lot less abusive but it's the power of the SG that I love and drove me to buy this over other epiphones. However, some people may fault it on the basis that it doesn't have as rich a sound as LPs and sounds a little thinner- an unbiased sound ranking is needed (personally, I'd get it a 10 but objectively...) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I honestly cannot fault it here. Pickups were perfect, action is nice and low, the tuning pegs are very good, I could go on listing the good things but I'll just leave it by saying it's faultless in this department. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was my main for ages- i prefer it to the gibsons! It has lasted perfectly for 3 years- no damage whatsoever to it. I have gigged with solely this guitar and haven't regretted it once, another perfect score. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from hard rock to thrash metal depending on what bands I'm into at the time- usually hair metal ;) It suits most genres and has some tasty sounds haha. Obviously some people will try to argue that LPs are better although I'd say this SG is far better than a similarly priced LP- it's lighter in weight, has a more powerful sound and looks cooler. If something happened to my SG I'd definitely replace it- it's a great guitar, especially for the price! The only thing I could ask for with it is a whammy bar, but most guitars that this will be compared to don't feature whammy bars so I'll not knock it for that. To wrap up, it's an awesome guitar and well worth the money. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 27, 2010

Purchased from: private

Features: 2008 made in china usual Epiphone specs faded cherry. Was a sweet deal someone bought it a year ago new with a ibenez amp tuner padded guitar bag and extra amp cable wanted to learn, played it about 6 times sat in the backroom for a year, decided guitar was not for him sold it. So deducting the cost of the amp tuner bag etc the guitar cost about 50 bucks that's had less play than a show room version. I'm rating this a 9 as I love the shape and the finish is fabulous. // 9

Sound: I have no style to be honest bedroom rocker, and play whatever I have the tabs or chords for. I got several amps and I unashamedly play through toneport gearbox that has every type of effect and sometimes through an old Preavy 15W amp bought in a junk shop for 10$ and a Boss effects pedal. Compared to by Epiphone Les Paul Standard its as good meets my expectations as a learner home player I wont pretend I can hear the difference between a Gibson SG and a Epi SG I can tell the difference in price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was really good action set to my liking funny thing it had not been played for 6 months and it was still only slightly out of tune. Hong Kong weather humidity moving them from air-con rooms to another effects any instruments tuning my friends top of the line PRS goes out of tune exactly the same. Finish is fabulous got to give it a 10 this guitar is so well made. The toggle Switch was a bit patchy I think because it had been left for a while clicking it back and forwards a few times sorted it out, contact cleaner would probably help improve the connections. // 10

Reliability & Durability: No idea had it about 1 week. I don't gig can't really comment. Will it last time will tell I suspect it will looks very well made. I sold my LP Special II that I had for 7 years only thing I ever chanced were the strings and sold it for 10% less than I bought it new, after advertising for a day in the local web page had 8 offers to buy the first guy bought it, it sounds as good as the day I bought it if not better reliability and durability value retention can't fault. Score based on my Epiphone experience not the this SG. // 10

Overall Impression: Style of music I try all sorts this seems great for jazz blues to rock but I am no expert and a hobbyist not a musician. Been playing about 3 years self taught from the internet lessons play along to backing tracks no time to join a band. Own a epi Les Paul Standard, Fender squire strat. Used to own a Epiphone Les Paul Special II. If it was stolen I would replace it for sure. I don't understand the argument regarding Korea, USA, China made Epi's or do not have a trained ear to hear the difference, They all go back to Epiphone factory and are checked Epiphone/Gibson have a reputation to uphold and carry out strict QS checks there made with the same materials glues wood etc and production guidelines. Compared to my Les Paul its not as good sound wise and I prefer the LP style trimming etc. As a guitar its solid, well made not to heavy has a fabulous range of tones and terrific value for money and the bottom line it is made by a Gibson owned company. I would have no hesitation in recommending this guitar to beginners or intermediate level, advanced players I am not qualified to comment on. Note: The first time buyer should take note of this guitar has 22 frets if you want to learn/play solos etc the 22nd fret is an important issue several brands are only 21. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: Raptor195, on november 26, 2010

Purchased from: Hermes Music

Features: The box and instructions say it has been made in Korea, however, there`s a sticker behind the headstock that says it is from Taiwan. 22 medium jumbo frets pressed into a Rosewood fretboard. Alder body and arm, mine`s got a nice rare Vintage white color. The body is of course a double cutaway SG body. It has a tune-o-matic bridge. 2 open-coil humbuckers which have a fairly good sound and can get on very well with distortion. 2 Volume and 2 Tone pots, one for each pickup. Tuners are Epiphone, not Grover, and so they get a bit out of tune more easily than Grovers. It only includes an Allen key for the neck adjustment and a 3 ft cable that`s only for trying it at stores, and will get broken really soon. // 9

Sound: I play lots of different styles. At my music school I play Jazz, Blues and Funk. With my band I play rock, metal (with all its subgenres), funk, punk, ska, rock/pop and our own songs. And sometimes I jam with friends, we play mainly Indie, BritPop, Post-Punk, Grunge and Alternative stuff. It gets some good tones for blues on clean and with good old distortion. It gets perfect tones for classic metal (think on Zeppelin, Sabbath, etc). It doesn`t carry enough power for death core stuff, but it gets incredibly well with Overdrive, it sounds as if I were Angus Young, especially when using the JCM900, which actually isn`t mine, it is my drummer`s. Funk, Punk and all the other stuff I play aren`t for this guitar. I prefer my Strat or my Epi Dot for that stuff. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was set up from the factory perfectly. Bridge pickup was set up very low, but a screwdriver fixed that easily. No flaws, even though I bought a model which was used for trying it. Finish is quite good. Cheap wood and no good warranty, so I recommend trying it before buying it at the store, so you know that the one you`re buying hasn`t got flaws or bad pickups. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It will withstand live playing. Hardware will last a lot. Strap buttons are the more solid you will ever find in a guitar that doesn`t include straplocks. I use it on gigs but always carry a backup as sometimes strings get broken (strangely, it always happens when playing AC/DC) and I like switching guitars during live performances. Finish is made up of acrilic paint, so it won`t wear off with age. I like that, as this particular guitar doesn`t look good aged, unlike Strats, that look better with age and flaws. // 9

Overall Impression: It is a good addition to my collection. I have almost six years since I started playing, and I had a limited amount of money for guitars when I bought it, so, yes, I bought a cheap one. But it is surely a good move, for empty pockets, if you know how to adjust it. Stolen, lost, or broken, I would go for another Strat or a Tele, as they`re better. But it is good for people who are intermediate players. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: lightningjoe88, on april 25, 2011

Purchased from: Blue Note Guitars

Features: Before you read all this, I am judging the guitar based on how much I paid for it. The point of these are not to compare $300 guitars with $10,000 guitars. -Double-cutaway solid mahogany body -Set mahogany neck -Slim-tapered neck profile -24-3/4" scale length -Rosewood fingerboard -1.68" nut width -22 jumbo frets -Dual Alnico V humbuckers -2 volume and 2 tone controls -3-way pickup selector -Pearloid trapezoid inlays -LockTone Tune-O-Matic Bridge and stopbar tailpiece -Chrome hardware // 8

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, blues, and some metal. For the price this guitar sounds pretty good. I can get very good clean sounds and pretty decent distorted sounds. If you want to play metal or jazz this is not the guitar for you. It can do most of the tones in between those. If you put too much distortion behind it it will get a bit sloppy. The sustain isn't bad for the pickups in this. It has a good variety of sounds. If this is your first guitar, you will be very pleased with the sounds you get out of it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this from the store one of the tuners were a bit loose and same with the input jack. Other than that, when I bought it from the store everything was nice. Like all SGs it is very comfortable playing on the high frets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't/wouldn't gig with this. Strap buttons, pickups, knobs, and pickup selector all work well and were put together nicely. Nothing wrong with those for a while. The input jack though always comes loose and I have to keep screwing it back on. Gets very annoying. Comes out of tune a little too often to make it not a big deal. Finish looks good and even with me bumping it around none has chipped off. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar has a few flaws but gets the job done for sure. Since I am now a more experienced player (unlike when I bought this) I wouldn't buy it again if it were stolen. This is a great guitar for a beginner or somebody who doesn't have a lot of money to spend for a great electric. This is the guitar for you if you don't play heavy metal. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: Dawson_2010, on april 27, 2011

Features: I bought this used for a total bargain, comes from Epiphone's plant in Korea as far as I can tell from the stickers on the back on the headstock, is a you model so from the East somewhere. Pretty big neck, around 24 frets I beleive and very wide, very good for my playing style, contrasts well with Strat necks so is a great option for bigger hands. The body is solid mahogany I beleive, all real wood and the best SG you can get besides Gibsons own. The finish is the deep red version, very impressed with this, hasn't faded at all and looks the real deal. The body style, is of course that of an SG, very good and similar to the Gibson counterparts. The electronics use duel pick ups and I think this is tune o matic but may be corrected on this later on. Has a handy three way Switch between treble, rhythm and normal, great for mid guitar session switches between sounds. The tuners are great, came with grovers, I think this is a Standard for newer models buy am not 100% on this, they are pretty heavy but a real good quality and a joy to use, tuning is very easy. Four way volume control, 2 volume and 2 Tone dials. The guy I got this from threw in a gig bag. // 8

Sound: Sounds great for heavier stuff but can deal very well with my rhythmic and picking styles, quite versatile besides its heavy rock appearence, I generally play Oasis and Beatles-esque music and deals quite well with this and sounds just fine acoustically as well. I use a 15W Frontman Fender amp, works just fine for whatever I need, but is a bit of a cheap set up. Sound is quite well rounded and doesnt't buzz at all, the guy who owned this previously set this up perfectly so can't comment on factory settings. Sounds brilliant for beginner or intermediate players, if your a bit more advanced, maybe want to look at a Les Paul or Stratocaster for a bit more sound I guess. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Brilliant action, can't complain one bit and I can slide and play all day, the frets are rounded (with age maybe) and look great, everything is robust and can deal with falls, altough the body has a few dings from it fallng off a wall hanger I set up but survived and ready to play again. Finish is great, nice and think without looking bad, honestly brilliant, dark red colouring with the grain of the wood visible, looks great. No complains and handles beautifully. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Would withstand gigging no problem, brilliant all rounder guitar and handles really well, although your going to need a good comfy strap, this thing is neck heavy and will head right for the floor if you arnt carefull! Everything is stuck on properly and feels really well made and sturdy. Only knocks to the finish are my own fault but still look great! // 9

Overall Impression: Love it, looks great, sounds great and will keep playing this for a long time! If I lost this somehow, I think I would keep playing my Acoustic guitar for a while and maybe move up to a Les Paul or something, as the neck heavyness of this is a bit of an issue which I cannot beleive hasn't been addressed yet, its a real pain to hold up sometimes, but I'm not thinking of getting rid of this anytime soon, its my baby, I named her Lillith and changed the trussrod cover to suit this! Really high quality for the price paid and decimates the same price competition and all other SG immiators, best on the market besides the real deal Gibsons, go get this! // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: dany_100, on may 19, 2011

Purchased from: local shop

Features: - Made in china, 2008 - 22 frets 24.75" jumbo frets rosewood fretboard. - solid top - mahogany body and neck - has it's own unique body style. - Tune-O-Matic bridge. - passive electronics. - standard 2 tone and 2 volume controls. - 2 pickups - grover tuners. As far as I see it, it only lacks a Floyd Rose and possible better pickup configuration(adding single coil or at least a splitter) but because its priced at a low point its totally acceptable and in addition if a guitar in that price range has a floyd its probably a bad one. // 9

Sound: This guitar is on the top end of versatility. It was originally intended as a blues guitar for fast player and extremely good neck access. So its suit pretty much all the Spectrum of music, blues, rock, metal, punk and every thing in between, the only thing its lacks a bit is in its clean sound. Don't get my wrong, the clean is good but it doesn't have the single coil sparkle clean sound that some people are looking for. When I got the guitar the electronics were completely silent but I've must made some adjustment to the guitar that I shouldn't have done and now its little bit noisy on the neck guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't really remember the guitar set-up in the factory but if u'll set up this guitar well it would be one of the most comfortable guitar you'll ever play. The thing about Chinese guitars are that you can't be sure about its quality consistency, I was lucky enough to get a guitar with very few flaws, the only annoying flaw was that 1 of the controls button were lossy and could fall, but with a little resistance mod you'll fix it. But the most important thing about this guitar, and what sets it apart from every single guitar I ever played is its neck access, its just amazing, the neck only gets flat in the 19-20 fret so for high speed player this guitar is just a dream to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure about durability because I've only gigged twice but it seem to be solid enough for gigs. // 8

Overall Impression: I must say, this guitar is unique. Try it at your local shop, if you'll like the neck fell be sure that this guitar is one of those rare values in that price range. // 9

G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 02, 2011

Purchased from: Matchetts

Features: - 2010, China - Double-cutaway solid mahogany body - Set mahogany neck - Slim-tapered neck profile - 24-3/4" scale length - Rosewood fingerboard - 1.68" nut width - 22 jumbo frets - Dual Alnico V humbuckers - 2 volume and 2 tone controls - 3-way pickup selector - Pearloid trapezoid inlays - LockTone Tune-O-Matic Bridge and stopbar tailpiece add more sustain and easier string changing - Chrome hardware // 9

Sound: The sound is perfect for what I play, I play rock songs. I use a Line 6 Spider IV 75 watt amp. It has a slightly brighter sound than I les paul, it isn't as rich sounding as a Les Paul though. There is a wide variety of tones, from a thick lead tone, to a thinner, brighter rock tone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitars intonation was poorly set up, but the action is fast with very little fret buzz. The pickups seemed good, but I'm no expert on these things. The guitar seemed flawless when I bought it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I have only played live with it once and it seemed pretty solid. The hardware will not last, it will need to be replaced, from the bridge, tuners and output jack. The strap buttons are solid but I suggest using strap locks as the guitar is very neck heavy. The guitar is already needing replaced after having it for 7 months, the internals are not soldered or put together very well, the Bridge pickup has already failed on me. The finish seems good enough to last. // 4

Overall Impression: I play rock/alternative rock and it seems to suit this style. I have been playing the G400 for 7 months, and playing the guitar for around 5 years. I wish I had asked about build quality. I would get something else, I want to try as many guitars as possible, I like trying different tones. I love the neck and the action, hate the build quality and my favourite feature would have to be the wide variety of tones you can get. I didn't compare other products because I was set on getting an SG. I wish it had higher quality hardware. // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: guilherme87, on august 08, 2011

Purchased from: ebay

Features: The guitar was a factory second that was refurbished by Fender certified inspectors then resold for half the price on E-bay. It is the G-400 faded cherry SG. It has 22 frets 24 3/4 scale. Thin neck. Rosewood fretboard bound on a mahogany set neck attached to a mahogany body. The finish is a worn cherry so you can see the wood grain under it. It is the Standard Gibson SG shape. Tune-O-matic Bridge with stopbar tailpeice. The electronics are alnico classic passive humbuckers. One in the neck and one in th bridge. There are 2 volume and 2 tone knobs and a 3 way toggle switch. The tuners are regular non-locking grover tuners. It came with a gigbag, and a 20ft Fender California cable. // 9

Sound: I play hard rock to heavy metal. With the right settings this guitar can do basically whatever it wants. Its one of those guitars that's good at everything but not great at anything in particular. I use a Roland 20x with it and it can get a good variety of sounds. It isn't very noisey. The neck humbucker is amazing. Th Bridge humbucker is kindve muddy but just ease the bass back and it helps. Its got a little bit more gain ten the Les Paul Standard but that's not exactly a good thing. Depending on what sound your going for of course. Its too trebly to use for a Led Zeppelin sound but isnt thick enough for Pantera. It sounds more of Iron Maiden esque. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar wasn't factory set-up but the Fender certified inspectors had it set up very well. The action was smooth and fast with no buzzing and the pickups were perfectly adjusted. No modification needed. The reason it was a second was because there were small chips on the fretboard near the nut. But it didn't effect the playing what'soever and is hardly noticeable. The electronics and hardware were perfect however and is well worth the money. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems like it will do well live. One thing I would do is replace the strap buttons with straplocks. You do NOT want your guitar flying off of you into the crowd of angry moshers below. Also the guitar is top heavy and when not being held the neck points to the ground so a regular strap will fall off. The hardware seems very durable though and shouldn't have any problems. Always bring a backup though because anything could happen onstage. The finish is a flat finish so it seems strong but susceptible to dents. Seems strong enough though. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Zeppelin, Iron Maiden, Pantera and The Doors and a wide variety of music. This guitar doesnt't fit any of those sounds quite perfect but it does okay at all of them. Like I said good at everything not great at anything in particular. More of an Iron Maiden sound. I've been playing about 2 years and own a les paul, and an Ibanez RG and have owned quite a few other guitars. This guitar is not mine it is a friends but I would think about buying this guitar for myself as well as it is fun to play. I love the neck pickup and I love the variety. Nothing to hate about it at all. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: the_guitar_pro, on august 17, 2011

Price paid: € 325

Purchased from: Klangfarbe - Austria

Features: - 2010 China - 22 frets (scale: 24,75") - Rosewood fretboard w/ trapezoid inlays - Body and Neck: Mahogany - SG-style (double cutaway) - Tune-O-Matic Bridge (Epiphone) - Passive Epiphone Pickups - Alnico Classic (Changed them to passive Gibson Pickups) - Volume and Tone for Bridge PU, Volume and Tone for Neck PU - 3-Way Toggle - Non-locking "Grover" Tuners - No Accessories // 10

Sound: The Guitar suits all my music styles (Blues, Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal). I'm using a "Fender Mustang I" modulation amp and a "Kustom" Stack, my Fender Amp has all effects I need so I haven't got any others. The guitar itself isn't noisy at all, ther's just a noise produced by the distortion of the amp, which is normal. It has a very rich sound, but not as much sustain that a Les Paul has. The guitar sounds great distorted or overdriven for both pickups, but clean the Bridge pickup produces a kind of rattling bright sound which doesn't sound that great, the neck pickup (clean) has a warm sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set-up when I bought it, I just changed some settings on the TOM bridge. The Pickups vere well adjusted (I changed them in the following week to Gibson Burstbuckers). The overall guitar quality is great, there were no frets popping out or something like that. Just the controls were a bit loose, but I fixed it in less than 5 min. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar withstands live playing, I use it at live gigs, it seems to be very durable. The strap buttons are solid, but I prefer strap locks. I would not need any backup, but I take 2 or 3 other guitars with me to get a large range of sustain and effects (floyd rose). The cherry finish seems to last a long time, I have it for 1 1/2 years and there no marks of playing on it (and I have an agressive playing style). // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar to try the advantages of an SG shaped guitar, I like the possibility to reach the 22th fret so easy. I've been playing guitar for 9 years with Strat-, Explorer- and Les Paul shaped guitars, now the SG is a irreplaceable part of my gear. If it were stolen I would buy it again, even if I have other guitars that are a bit better (and more expensive) but this one fits my style perfectly. // 10

G-400 Reviewed by: yankleber, on september 21, 2011

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I bought this one in eBay after to win an auction and it suppose to be a 'refurbished' model. First, some facts. When I decided to come back to guitar world 6 months ago after almost 10 years in limbo, the first thing I needed - no doubt - was a guitar! I remember that the very first brand that came to my mind was Epiphone, however after some research I got very disappointed with so many reports of owners that had issues with neck cracking and broken headstocks. Seems that this is a recurrent issue that keep happening on and on through the years and that wasn't solved by the factory yet, what makes to buy an Epiphone such a lottery - if you are a lucky guy your guitar may last intact forever, but if not sooner or later you will find yourself at a luthier doorstep to fix your broken guitar headstock. Not that it be a big deal (a broken headstock is not as bad as it look like and surely can be fixed), but the truth is that no one feels good buying a guitar knowing about this fact, and it is specially scary to imagine the headstock popping off in the middle of a gig. For this reason, in the time I was after a new guitar I totally gave up about an Epi; specially because I live in a small town and the nearest luthier is about a hundred miles away from me. Then I ended buying a Shelter Les Paul (and I should let you know that I totally regret about that, because I would have to make too many upgrades in the guitar to make it decent). OK, then why in the heck I have bought an Epi now, even knowing about all the headstock issues? Well, did I mention that my guitar is a 'refurbished' model? Sure I did. And shouldn't be a refurbished Ep still worse than a brand new Epi? Hummm... Actually not! A refurbished Epi means to be a guitar that was returned to the factory due to a serious issue - most probably a cracked neck and/or a broken headstock - and THIS is the magic on get a refurbished model. I trully believe that guys at Epiphone don't want to look like asses twice, and therefore they will do a very well done homework when refurbishing a guitar. It will be double checked and VERY well fixed before to be put on sale again; what means that a refurbished model suppose to be better than a brand new one. Remember: they don't want that a refurbished guitar gets back AGAIN to their shop! Also, they do not simply fix what is broken. They give it a whole check, verify all the electric, replace scratched or damaged pickguard, knobs, tuners and pickups, rebuff the painting, re-string, setup it again, anyway, they just leave it like new. The only difference between a new model and a refurbished model is that the refurbished one will have engraved the "USED" word in the back of the headstock and a stick with a new serial number specific for the restored units. Why they do not simply restock it as a brand new guitar after all this good work? I sincerelly don't know. Anyways, if you don't mind to have a guitar that you KNOW that was refurbished, you probably will be the owner of a better and stronger instrument than a regular stock one, and will pay only a fraction of its regular sale price. It really sounds like a bargain for me! I think that it is very important to mention that in my country (Brazil), because all the import taxes and plus a big number of stupid players that believes that an Epiphone is a tranny Gibson the price of a brand new G-400 in a music store floats around USD 1,000. Yeah, I know that it is crazy but this is the way it is here. At the end it costed me USD 400 including the guitar, the overseas shipping and customs taxes. Not bad -- less than the half if I would pick it in a local store. The guitar is a SG model, an exact copy of Gibson SG. The G-400 suppose to be the top model of Epiphone SG family being the only with a set-in neck (310 and Special dudes has bolt-on necks). The color of this axe seats anywhere between brown and dark cherry and the surface has a very classy satin finish. It is not dull neither glossy, just satin. I never had a guitar with such finishing before and I really liked it. I think they call it "worn cherry". It has a couple of alnico classic humbucker Epi pickups with black frames and a nice pickguard in ply style (black-white-black). Finally, two volume and two tone controls, a steady and smooth switch and a well attached cable plug. A very interesting details is that the strap buttons have a small rounded piece of felt in the bottom, instead to be screwed directly to the wood. I don't know the purpose of it, but it is nice. The scale is made of rosewood with mother-of-pearl block inlays and the frets came very well polished. The back of the neck has the same color as the body and the front of headstock is black, everything in the same satin finish. Tuning machines are Grover and have a very smooth and precise action. In the back of the headstock, as mentioned before, there is the "USED" word engraved and a small plate with a mysterious number. // 8

Sound: Sound is really awesome for my taste. The alnico humbuckers provide a clear and powerful tone. But what more impressed me is the sustain of this guitar - with Drive on, it can sustain ANY note for good 10 seconds or so (even the higher notes!) and a power cord can long for 15 or more seconds. I found it very easy to pinch harmonics and tapping too. In clean mode the sound of the neck humbucker is VERY pleasant, while the bridge one is VERY irritating (I hate ANY humbucker bridge pickup clean sound), and after to step the stompbox the guitar goes crazy. She goes easily from heavy and full metal rhythm to nice screaming lead. Being a weekend guitarist all these features are great for me, as it makes me look like to play better than I really do! LoL! What I mean is that is easy to extract impressive tones from this guitar. I didn't notice any scratch sound when using the pickup switch or the tone/volume controls. I rarely use the controls anyway, and normally they stay at the max. The amp I use is a Vox VT-15 with "valve reactor" feature and several integrated effects. I don't have any pedal at the moment, and the Drive I get is from the Vox saturation combined with its amp modeling feature. I won't give details about that as it is not a review for the amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came more or less well set -- intonation was almost perfect and there was not any fret buzz. The strings were higher than I would like, but I could lower them a little by just lowering the bridge. I would like that it could get still more low, but then it started to buzz so I think that I will need a luthier for that, as surely it will need some truss rod adjustments. Curiously it traveled from Arkansas (USA) to Sao Paulo (Brazil) without to get too much out of tune. I just had to adjust it a little and it was ready to rock. About finishing, as mentioned before it has a sober satin finish that is very pleasant to the eye, and I carefully inspect the guitar after to unpack it and couldn't find any flaw. I confess that I got a little disappointed after to figure out that Epiphones are better than people uses to say out there! LoL! // 7

Reliability & Durability: I am sure that I could use it in a gig without any fear, but I sincerely doubt I will do that. I have a duo band with my wife, and we just play and record at our home studio - we never gig. I have no idea if this guitar is made for last. I have heard people saying that Epis can last forever and others saying that it is a guitar for 2-3 years. My opinion is that it is a matter of how you care of your stuff. I normally am very careful with my stuff, and I think that you should be double careful with musical instruments as they are naturally delicate things. Knowing myself, I am absolutely sure that MY G-400 will last for decades, but I cannot speak for people that treats a guitar as it would be a trail bike. Anyway, the wood seems good and strong and the hardware seems honest for me, so I cannot see it giving me problems. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly Indie pop and rock, and this guitar suits OK some of my sound. I don't think that I could have it as my only guitar, as I like to have options, so I have two other guitars (and there is one more on the way). I think that this axe is perfect for the heavy licks and rhythms. I play for about 30 years, but I have quit playing for a while during this time. I am not a pro neither consider myself a great guitarist. I think I am below the average, but can extract OK tones from my axes. I am very glad with this acquisition to my guitar collection. After to read so many bad things about Epiphone guitar, I didn't have too much expectations when I bought it (and I just bought it because it was VERY cheap and I could sell it with a good profit to someone if I didn't like it). However I got very surprised and happy that THIS Epiphone became better than I supposed. If it was stolen, I surely would buy another one SINCE I could get the same bargain I got with this one; otherwise maybe I would try a Gibson. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: dunneyjim, on october 11, 2011

Purchased from: Professional Music Technology

Features: This guitar was made sometime in 2011, probably in some far-eastern country by overworked orphans, but it doesn't show in the quality. 22 frets, with a decent-sized rosewood fretboard, smooth mahogany neck and body, finished in a nice worn cherry. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge, twin humbuckers, and volume/tone knobs for each. One complaint - the screws on the bridge are rubbish, I adjusted the bridge a little and completely mashed the screws. Otherwise, all good here. // 8

Sound: I've been playing for a couple years; I play classic/modern rock, blues, and occasionally a little punk, and the guitar sounds great with all of them. Although it's meant to be a budget version of an SG, it doesn't sound budget at all. I play it through an old Vox AD30 combo amp, and the sound is awesomely versatile; I can get a nice full bluesy tone with the treble pickup, and a crunchier riffing tone with the volume turned up on the rhythm. It is a little noisy at high volume, but I suspect this may have more to do with my ancient amp than the guitar itself. You can get so many sounds and styles out of this guitar, its unbelievable. Solos, cleans, harmonics, slides, power chords and melodic guitar, it does it all. Definitely the best sounds in this price range, by quite a way too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was reasonably well set-up, the pickups and frets were all good, decent strings, although the action was a little high for my liking, but that was easily remedied with the Tune-O-Matic bridge. The body is made from a beautiful piece of wood, its either one piece of wood or two that have been perfectly bookmatched. The finish is a curious shade, kind of halfway between cherry and light red. I probably would have gone for the glossy cherry over this finish, but it was over 40 more just for some shiny paintjob, so I chose the cheaper one. Its also available in matte black, ebony, and some weird Orange korina colour. There were no flaws with the guitar at all, and I must say I was quite impressed with it. It's lots-of quality for not-so-much money. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can easily withstand bedroom practice, jamming with a band, or probably even small gigs, but I wouldn't take it to anything bigger than a slightly crowded bar gig. I'd probably use something a little bigger and more robust, although, that said, its an extremely well put together little guitar. The hardware feels like it'll last for ages. The finish seems a little thin, but other than that, good marks here. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impressions of this guitar are good. Although it doesn't compare to a 1500 1962 Gibson SG, it isn't meant to. It's meant to provide those on a limited budget with a cheap good quality guitar, and that's what it does. // 8

G-400 Reviewed by: vuk85, on november 07, 2011

Price paid: € 220

Purchased from: Star's Music, Paris, France

Features: Epi G-400, made in April of 2010, Chinese, set-neck. Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets, 24.75" scale, rosewood binding on fretboard (it was a surprise to me too). Two passive Epiphone AlNiCo humbuckers, three-way switch, two tone and two volume pots, TOM bridge, Grover non-locking tuners. Ebony finish. Got an allen wrench with it. Cheap Gibson SG Copy made by Gibson's sub-firm. I wasn't expecting to get an instrument in the line of American made instruments. It covers all the basics set by it's more expensive counterparts and isn't made out of basswood or plywood. I am aware that it isn't the same grade mahogany as used in more expensive guitars, but I'm satisfied. For the money, it is a very nice guitar that blows GIO Ibanez, Deans, LTDs, Jacksons and the rest of the similarly priced beginner's guitars out of the water (wood is crucial to me, and I can't believe that this guitar isn't made out of basswood like aforementioned guitars or that it isn't a bolt-on). On the other hand, it isn't a high end or a boutique guitar... Not even a middle of the road model, but for the price it can't be beat. // 7

Sound: I play mostly metal. Downtuned for most of the time. Some of my bands play modern metal (not that djent crap or metalcore/deathcore $h! 7) some are more in the vein of old school death metal. With factory configuration (e.g. pickups) it doesn't do well. Peavey 5150 as my main amp (Randall RH150 G3, Ibanez TBX150H as backups) paired with a Randall and a Marshall cab, with various Boss pedals sounds monstrous with my other guitars, but not with this one. Pickups are too muddy. Bridge pickup delivers some God low end, but 6th and 5th string just eat the rest. There is no way around them when played overdriven. Neck pickup is good only for arpeggios, occasionally clean chords.This guitar had to be tuned back in standard E. That is the moment when it redeemed it's lack of metal attitude. It just isn't made for it. Both pickups do so much better with lighter gauge strings and in higher range. You won't be able to get a good Slayer sound, but you can play decent blues and harder forms of rock. Two pickups are well paired. There is no difference in output and on an overdriven amp it cleans up very well with volume pots. Tone pots work well too. From crunchy rhythm to creamy lead, from solid clean themes to acoustic-like chords. Also, nice tapping. BUT! It does this only when tuned in E standard and with light strings plus my friend's Gibson SG destroyed it when compared. Let's say that is a one trick pony, and a mediocre one at best. Even that AC/DC riff doesn't sound right. I played "Thunderstruck" - both rhytm and lead (legato style) and it wasn't too good. Don't ask about the rest of their opus, or Black Sabbath's for that matter... I prepared new pickups for it (some Duncans ought to ameliorate the sound). So - it's look is deceiving - there isn't nothing metal about it (unlike Gibson SG), it's pickups aren't to the height of it's look (which promises thunders out of your amp), but if you are an before-nineties-guy - this can be for you. Too old-school, just needs a cleaner amp and a cable instead of metal monster with lots of effects. I hate EMGs (I own them in two of my guitars), but Epi pickups just don't cut it compared to the rest (JB and '59 are Alnico too, and they slay these, and I don't want to speak about A ceramic pickup in bridge position). Wasn't expecting Gibson, but wasn't expecting crap sound either... Still satisfied with wood and construction and the way it sound on simpler, lighter setting. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Well... The one I tried was VERY good. The guy from the shop then brought me another one in the box. I was not happy, but he assured me that it was the same thing (even though I've been playing for 10 years now, and know to make a difference - more or less - bottom line is that I liked THE ONE THAT I TRIED and I wanted THAT ONE), and proceeded to set it up before I got out of the store with it. So, I can't say what was the factory setting... But I can say that the guy has just set the intonation - he didn't even look for the neck warp, or if the pickups were too high... He didn't even pay attention on my complain about the string gauge I wanted to set. From the store - mediocre. 20th fret on fifth string is dead. I saw the guy stumble on it, but he kept quiet. It isn't a big flaw, it costs 10 euros to fix that, but he could try to give me another instrument when he wasn't gonna sell me the one that I tried in store. One thing that is a plus is that finish was flawless. No line in the middle of guitar (since it is a doublecut - two planks glued together). No rust on hardware, no wear and tear. (Fairly) fresh strings. Neck (to that guy's relief) wasn't warped so the action was OK. Still, far from perfect. I had to do everything at home, but I (usually) don't consider poor setup as a flaw (I always do a setup when I bring an instrument home). In this case, I will consider it as a flaw because the guitar in the shop was nearly perfect, and they sold me something that wasn't that way... Plus dead fret. On the other hand - 200 euros brand new set-neck, mahogany body, Grovers... In STORE. In my country people sell these guitars used at 300 euros. f--king dicks, but that is the problem when you live in a third world country (purchase in Paris was just a coincidence, I live in Belgrade, Serbia). // 5

Reliability & Durability: It withstood live playing. TOM bridge usually assures you that the string won't break since you don't have to cut it before you put it through a machine head. The hardware hasn't corroded yet (year and a half of usage). Strap buttons were changed the very first day for straplocks. Finish is standard black - lots of fingerprints, but more bada-s than that gay cherry one... I can depend on this guitar... If I wanted to. For the moment it is a beginner's guitar that needs lots of love to Shine through. One day it will, or it will be exchanged for a Gibson SG. They look alike, but there are more than few steps between them. Even Gibson's way of setting that neck in body is different and more comfortable. Still, a regular metalhead can put few EMGs in this one and rock out for at least two years without that fear of breaking anything (I don't count the fact that it will snap it's head off when let to fall on it's front because that is what happens to Gibsons all the time.. Epis are even more solid at that point than Gibsons). I deliberately said "metalhead" because blues/jazz/rock players don't move that much on stage compared to a raging 14 years old kid (I am 26, but I do the same - also, this guitar isn't intended for pros, but for beginners, but I am a bit special - I don't think that a good guitar has to be 1000+ euros as long as it suits my needs). Almost box-like shape isn't as fragile as horns of a V, Explorer or a Dean ML. // 9

Overall Impression: So - I like this guitar. It is a solid copy of a far better guitar, but it is still usable. No fancy stuff, just straight-on rock, you won't be ashamed (too much, considered that it is nearly free). You can play it live a few days a week without any fear, as long as you know what you need it for and how to get the best of it. If someone stole it.. I'd buy either a German made (old ones) or look at some other manufacturers SG models. The point is that I like SG, but look a bit past it's looks. I have 8 other guitars with lots of other pieces of equipment, I play semi-pro (or amateur + a few opening acts and festivals per year, how people feel about it) and I can permit myself to have this one. Beginners can also permit themselves to have an Epi G-400. The rest are the people who want to have one or two great guitars or are snobs. It is nice to see Zakk Wylde who has 40+ guitars, but he got them an account that he is a good, popular musician who gets sponsorships and endorsements. The rest of us mortals doesn't have to have 40+ pro guitars. Try this one, maybe you'll like it, maybe you won't... Maybe you will even fall in love and play it to the rest of your days (with stock pickups). // 7

G-400 Reviewed by: Ausbrett23, on may 28, 2012

Features: Made in Japan in 2007. Neck is a 22 fret ebony style with dot fret designs. This is a Laminated Rosewood red with ebony solid body guitar. Bridge style is a Tune-O-Matic Bridge. Active Electronics with the controls of 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. Pickups are 2 Humbucker Pickups configured the same way as in the picture. Guitar came with a gig bag, strap, and a 10 foot cable. // 10

Sound: This guitar suits my style of music which is mostly Rock & Roll but also includes Country, Blues, some Rap, and Pop. I use it on a Peavey Rage 158 guitar amp with clean and distortion settings. This guitar is definitely noisy and bugs the hell out of my grandmother at some points. I can, right now, only get these sounds: clean, distortion, and sometimes a scratch. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The G-400 was set up well except there were a couple of flaws. When I purchased it there was a nut missing under one of the knobs and that knob was loose for a while. Other than that I had no problems at all. And when I play it using Treble it uses the top pickup not the bottom. The way that the pickups are supposed to be switched got mixed up but I can live with that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes this guitar will withstand live play. The hardware on the guitar seems to withstand a lot of abuse and is very durable. The Strap Buttons are solid and have never came loose. I can depend on the guitar, but I would never play a gig without a backup guitar. I always take serious measures when it comes to the music I play. The finish is good enough to last and I have never seen any of the finish start to wear off. I've had this guitar for almost 4 years and if the finish would start to wear off I think it would have by now. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly Rock & Roll (The Beatles, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones, etc.) and it seems to cooperate with that style of music. As well as it does with the some Pop, Country, and Rap I play. I have been playing since I was 3 years old and I currently own the G-400, a Fender CD-60CE Acoustic/Electric, and a Squire by Fender Stratocaster. If my G-400 were to be stolen I definitely would buy it again. My favorite feature is the fact that it has the Rythem/Treble switch. The only thing I wish it had is a third pickup. Mainly for a "richer" sound. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014