G-400 Extreme Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 09/10/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: G-400 Extreme
Xtreme is the only word to describe this latest rock-axe from Epiphone. With its modified "SG" body equipped with an aluminum Diamond-Plate pickguard and E-Series headstock and features such as a Super-Slide, satin Maple neck, Ultra-HOT humbuckers and licensed Floyd Rose tremolo, you can expect to take your act to the extreme!
 Reliability & Durability: 7.8
 Features: 9.8
 8.2
 7.8
reviews (4) pictures (1) 64 comments vote for this gear:
G-400 Extreme Reviewed by: Pseudonaja, on november 02, 2005

Features: Mahogany body based on a SG shape, but with a 3rd cutout. Maple neck, rose wood fretboard, 22 frets. Floyd rose Tune-O-Matic bridge. Matt black finish, tread metal scratch guard, black hardware, 2 Epiphone Ultra-Hot pickups. 3-way pickup selector, volume control, tone control. Looks stunning, feels nice and steady cause it's rather heavy. // 10

Sound: Good crunchy sound on bridge pickup, deep tone on neck pickup. The tone control fills in the gaps so you can get any tone you want. I play metal and other heavy styles so it fits in very nicely. The hot pickups can be noisy when speed-picking, but if you get your angle of attack right it sounds brilliant! I use a Crate GTX212 amp and it sounds good on both overdrive channels and clean. On clean it sounds best using both pickups, as single pickups can give a dull sound. The mahogany gives a rich, dark tone, as it's a very dense wood. This guitar would look and sound rediculous on a scrawny punk-head. It's a meaty metal guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory settings are good. Low action with minimum buzz, strings are close enough for speed work, but your fingers don't feel cramped. Pickups are a little noisy. I'd get a nice EMG 81 and 85 combo. Bridge is typical Floyd Rose. Padded in the back so you don't damage anything when you go insane with the wammy. Not a single flaw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played with this guitar in every situation thinkable and never needed a backup. I've snapped strings, but that's not the guitar's fault. Hardware is fine and isn't showing any sign of wear (after 7 months intensive use). Finish shows fingerprints a little easily, but nothing a dust cloth can't fix. No chips, only a few small scratches. Strap buttons are stuck fast. Only negative is that one of the strap buttons is an extention of one of the neck's bolts on the back, so you can't put a strap-lock on there. It's never slipped off, though. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said, I play metal. This is a metal guitar. You can play anything you want with it, even ska, but it'll only really feel at home screaming and growling with the grindcore boys. I'be been playing for 7 years and this is the first guitar I didn't feel like it was holding me back. If it was lost, I'd have another one made. They've been discontinued. What do I love? The shape, the weight, the sound, the way it just does what you want it to. I wanted it for 2 years before I finally had the cash to buy it, and I've never regretted my purchase. // 10

G-400 Extreme Reviewed by: Korzack, on may 14, 2007

Features: Haven't a fragging clue when it was made, but as EPis are, parts inspected in Gibson HQ before been shipped to Japan to be put together. Mahogany body with a rosewrood freboard, 22 frets. The finish is a bit of a weird matt black with a Diamond steel pick guard. The look of the guitar is sort of half-way between a normal SG and a BC rich Warlock. 2 humbucking pickups, not sure if they're Alcinos or owt fancy like that, but they're high-output. Grover tuners, with an Epiphone made Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo system. Nothing with it, but I did get get a leather strap & backpack gig bag dirt cheap. Was also half price, so I don't mind at all, I got a good deal, far better than the 515 I paid for my Epi Les Paul. // 10

Sound: Oh good lord, the sounds on this are fantastic. I kid ye not, it's amazing. I play classic '70s/'80s rock & punk, with a bit of Blues in there, & it made more than a few people jealous in terms of sound. Okay, the bridge/rhythm pickup is far too muddy for my liking, but the neck pickup is an absolute Godsend. A few more pickup controls would've been ace (there's only a 3 way toggle and 1 volume knob). Would be ace to try & have a similar way of controlling as I have on my Les Paul (where I've got the rhythm pickup on half volume so it adds some low end to the treble/neck pickup's sound) // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar second hand, & the action was nicely done, but I can't say whether it was a factory job or owner-done. What I do have a gripe about is the Licenced Floyd Rose system. Oh, good lord it's bloody awful. Refuses to hold tune for more than 5 minutes no matter what you try. In the end, I've now decided 'sod this' & ripped the unit out, saving up for either a simpler tremolo system or a Stopbar type system. It might just be a naffly built set, but this guitar's put me off trying Floyd Roses now, I just can't be arsed with the hassle of having to go through everything 3 times as quickly. It also had a pair of cracks in the neck right where the screws bolt it onto the guitar, but these don't seem to be doing anything adverse to the guitar. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Oh, just read above for the gripe on this guitar. Everything else on this damn guitar is in superb condit., and should last me a Long way yet, but it's just the trem. I know I shouldn't have ripped the tremolo out of it because it's a discontinued guitar model, but sod it. If I feel confident enough, I'll buy an original & get that installed, & see how that goes. Otherwise, I'm tempted to salvage to do several salvage jobs with it, such as put the pickups in a 67 type V guitar, where I can control the volumes of the pickups separately. // 3

Overall Impression: For what I do, it does look a little OTT. Although if I ever do get around to forming a Gothic Glam rock band, I'll know right where to go! I had been playing for just over 3 years when I got it. In hindsight, I wish I'd asked if there was any reason why it's previous owner had traded it in, then I might've learned about the faults I lost patience with! I'd be annoyed if it were stolen, but to be fair, if somebody nicks it in it's current state, they're utterly dim. I love the look of it & that treble pickup's tone, they're purely perfect, & what made me try to fix the guitar. The rhythm pickup was a problem, but I just ignored it in the end, but that tremolo system is what's killed my interest in it in the end. When it's got a better bridge, it may well see light of day, but now, it's just in it's gigbag, a hollow taunt of what might've been. Just a shame they ain't making anymore, they could've possibly done a deal to put a better floyd rose in & saved the guitar. // 4

G-400 Extreme Reviewed by: kristjanpalmi, on january 23, 2009

Purchased from: Used

Features: It was made in Korea but inspected and set-up in the USA. The SG shape based body is made of Mahogany. It should probably be heavy but the 3rd cutout makes a huge difference. It's very light and the thin Satin Maple neck is divine. It's a 22 fret Floyd Rose Tune-O-Matic. It makes for easy slides and pulloffs. The pick-guard is made of Diamond-patterned aluminum, which is pretty awesome! it has got a Standard 3-way pick-up selector, a volume knob and a tone knob. The pick-ups are very beautiful humbuckers. The strap buttons are positioned in the middle of the unusual 3rd cutout( which is not very comfortable) and behind the neck( which is comfortable). It's got a matte-black finish and the Diamond plate is silver. // 9

Sound: The sound of the guitar surprised me very much. I looked at it and expected nothing from the sound of it. But when I started to use it, it was a dream. My expectations were turned upside-down. When you use the lower pick-up it gives a very full sound, like a box-guitar. the bridge pick-up is more hardcore and more fitting. It's more raw and grinding. Perfectly fitting for playing metal or any other heavy stuff. I play metal and grunge and the guitar does everything for me. I can play both soft and hard on this guitar. I'm using a AVT100 Marshall but I also have a Line6 Spider 75w. This guitar sounds fantastic in both amps. Although, of course it sounds better with the Marshall. It hums very little and makes very quiet extra noises which is very comfortable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used so naturally it had some battle-scars and didn't come with a gig bag or anything. But I spoke to the previous owner and he told me that the set-up had been flawless. He hadn't changed a thing. The strings are close but not too close. perfect. it's not hard to play it fast. The whammy is very good but a bit of it had broken off. It still works like nothing happened and it's not obvious. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Live playing is definitely not a problem for this guitar. It doesn't detune easily and it's very easy to tune. There's no problem with changing from Standard E to drop D. I would count on it on a concert and not bring a backup one. The electronics in it seem like they're going to last a long while. I've had no problem with them. The strap buttons are very tight so I really don't expect them to fall off. The aluminum pick-guard doesn't really allow the pick to scratch it at all so the finish will last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: My style of music is very diverse. I just like to jam. I play metal, punk, trash, rock, classic, blues and every now and then pop. I can play all that on this guitar and it wouldn't sound wrong. in fact, it all sounds great! My first impression of this guitar that it was only made for looks because they are killer! But then I played the thing and totally fell in love. It couldn't be replaced by anything worse than a Les Paul or a SG. I would definitely buy it again if it would be stolen. I have played many guitars but this one is truly one of the best. // 5

G-400 Extreme Reviewed by: ReeceMMorris, on september 10, 2012

Features: I know very little about this guitar as it was given to me by my uncle who has just got a small flat with his girlfriend and he had to get rid of the guitars. Obviously, it has a very unique shape, it only has one knob, which is a volume knob, one 3-way selector which to switch between the bridge pick-up, the neck pick-up or both (Ultra HOT humbuckers) It has a 1.68" nut, a bolt on maple neck w/ dot inlays, it has a mahogany body with a floyd rose tremolo (used under license). Its stripped down style make it easy to use and looks quite nice. // 10

Sound: My style of music is Guns N' Roses, Zeppelin, AC/DC and this guitar doesn't suit it well at all, it has a real muddy sound, take any guitar, roll of the tone and volume and roll the volume up on the amp and the sound you get is very similar (I assume this is why it hasn't got a tone knob) but it isn't necessarily a bad thing, it sounds great for certain styles of music, While I was experimenting with grunge style rock, this was a key guitar, it sounds great! Very muddy and dirty! The sound reminds me of an amp stuck in a puddle of mud at a festival, very fun to play. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Since this is second hand I haven't got much to say here, but I revived it very good condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels indestructible to me, it feels as if I could play it live, drop it, smash it, lose it, find it, piss on it, throw rocks at it, drop it again, and still play it live the next day with no problems. It's great! // 9

Overall Impression: It's a great guitar, but sadly it's very rare and hard to get hold of, but if you can get one, go for it, // 5

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014