G-400 Pro Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 02/14/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: G-400 Pro
In traditional format the instrument does everything you would expect. Intonation out of the box was spot on, and the action very acceptable.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.6
 8.9
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (4) 14 comments vote for this gear:
G-400 Pro Reviewed by: FXPenulla, on february 14, 2014

Purchased from: Crescendo Audio and Music Store

Features: ***DISCLAIMER*** This review is BASED ON THE GUITAR'S PERFORMANCE COMPARED TO OTHER GUITARS IN ITS PRICE RANGE ($400-$450) here in the Philippines and so please no violent reactions why I rated this guitar between 9-10.

The guitar was made in Indonesia, it has 22 frets and a glued in slim taper neck on a 25. 5" scale. Both neck and body are made out of mahogany, it has trapezoidal inlays on a rosewood fretboard. It has a transparent cherry finish. It has a tune-o-matic bridge with passive humbuckers. Two tone knobs and two volume knobs. It has the coil tap feature. It has Wilkinson tuners. It came in a box with an allen wrench for adjusting the neck a manual, an Epiphone sticker and a cool poster. // 9

Sound: My band's focus is mainly writing original material, but my influences as a guitarist cover almost all sub genres of rock. I do a little bit of everything (from bluesy licks of SRV, Hendrix, and Mayer on the neck pup. Some Dimebag and Hammett licks thanks to Andy James! Funk rock riffing of Morello and Frusciante on the bridge pup. Some psychedelic effects from Einziger and Lopez, and even some Mars and Mraz). But I am telling you, I am no virtuoso, just a random Joe, who loves playing with his guitar-o! Anyway the guitar seems to handle all the genres I play. The sound of the guitar coil tapped didn't really impress me but it gives the guitar some variety. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well, the action was okay but I lowered it a little bit. The pick ups were a little low but its okay. You don't need no rocket science to adjust them. I did not see any flaws on the guitar. The strings were I believe a gauge 10 (I use gauge 8 most of the time) but I didn't ask what brand it is (probably Gibson strings). There were no rust, dings, or any loose parts when I got it out of the box. The hardware was okay as well. The pick up selector is working. All volume and tone knobs work as well as the coil tap feature. The transparent cherry finish is amazing! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I got this less than a week ago so I haven't gigged with it yet, but I never brought any back-up guitar whenever I get the chance to gig (I have faith in my guitars, LOL). I don't have my own ride which is mainly my reason for not bringing any back up and I have to carry a 12x27 pedal board as well! I own an Epiphone G-310 which is now in the box where the G-400 Pro came in. The strap buttons seem sturdy. It has Wilkinson tuners so I expect them to last. I am extra careful with it since its still pretty new so I can't judge how long the finish will last but I'll get an Epi hard case for this pretty soon to prolong the life of this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: It fits my style of playing. I learned to play acoustic guitar when I was 14, and played with bands in high school and college, but I didn't have my own electric guitar and I just used guitars from friends from other bands during jam sessions and gigs. I've never been really been serious about it until I got my first electric guitar which was an Ibanez GAX30 (which I sold last year after I got my Epiphone G-310). Since then I have been playing at least an hour every day after work. I play my guitars in this set up (in order): Guitar - Korg Pitchblack - Morley Power Wah - EHX Little Big Muff - DigiTech Death Metal - Boston Noise Gate - Dano Fish n Chips EQ - Mooer Pitch Box - VS Garagetone Phaser - VS Garagetone Tremolo - Boss CE5 - Ibanez DE7 - Boston M15 Amplifier. If it gets stolen, well I would beat up that dude t('_'t). I would probably be getting whatever is the cheapest Gibson SG model, or an Epiphone Dot, or an Epiphone 1958 Korina Flying V Antique, or an Epiphone TV Silver Thunderbird IV, or an LTD Phoenix 200. I compared it to a Epi Les Paul Special II, Epi SG Special, Epi Les Paul 100, Epi Les Paul Studio and entry level Charvel guitars, and some Hamer X Series guitars. I chose this because it is the closest thing to a Gibson SG, the sound fits my style musically. It is a very good guitar for intermediate players, it is absolutely a good back up if you own a Gibson SG. I just wish it came with a Bigsby, which will be a mod I will be doing in the near future, or an Epi hard case. Overall, I would recommend this to a friend/bandmate looking for a guitar in the $400-$450 range here in the Philippines. Please check my video demos for my guitar! // 9

G-400 Pro Reviewed by: faneclub, on may 16, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Amp & Keyboard (GAK) Brighton U.K.

Features: I am reviewing this guitar on the first day of ownership, but there again they are pretty new, certainly in Europe, so my impressions may be of value to potential buyers, and especially lefties. In honesty the left hander's choices are severely limited so anything different is a breath of fresh air. I ordered it yesterday from G.A.K and it arrived together with its case (an extra) at 9.30 so no problems there. I have coveted a cherry SG since I was in my teens, and this the first truly left handed one acquired. I think the basic SG layout is familiar to most of us, the new feature was the COIL TAPS. // 9

Sound: I set up with my bedroom amp which is an Epi Valve Senior and first played some blues on the "old faithful" Korean Strat then A/B'd the Pro coil tap voices against that on the same amp settings. At this price point it seemed a fair comparison. Output of the classic p/u's compared very favourably in single coil mode, and the centre position had a nice "airy" feel to it. As the coil taps are push/pull on the volume pots you can open up the tonal palette by selecting one or other pickup in humbucking mode. Finally in traditional format the instrument does everything you would expect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived in a flawless deep cherry finish over a pleasing grain. Intonation out of the box was spot on, and the action very acceptable. My take on guitar action is "How low can you go" so I'll probably try to take it down. If there is a criticism it's that the frets are a little "raspy" on string bends, but that will probably play in. If not, nothing that a fret dress wouldn't cure. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The SG Pro has nickel hardware so that's a plus for longevity. The push/pull pots look a little fragile in the up (coil tap) position, but I guess that goes with the territory. I'm pleased with the Epiphone case I purchased, it's what I'd call a "cosmetic" version really looks good. The more practical among us might go for a Hiscox or SKB. Your dog can't eat a Hiscox but he can sure as hell a Gibson. Take my word for it! // 8

Overall Impression: I've played a variety of musical styles over the years since learning guitar in the 60's. Mainly on keyboards I have to say, sometimes alternating guitar and keys at the same gigs. My guitar roots remain with the blues and the British blues boom. If Mr Green isn't God he's certainly Saint Peter. Gear wise I suffer from amp fetish, fielding a baker's dozen of Marshalls, Fenders, Peaveys et all. My first Marshall was a plexi with two 8x10" cabs. Wish I still had that! Nice products Jim, from a nice guy. R.I.P. Now Epiphone SG Pro - think you've got to try one. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ DR-500ME 7 Acoustic Guitars 07/16/2014