Goth 1958 Flying V Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 11/22/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Goth 1958 Flying V
Classic V-shaped mahogany body, mahogany neck fitted with an ebony fretboard with side markers, and XII inlay at the 12th fret. Dual humbuckers, black chrome hardware, and plenty of attitude.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 8.1
 8.2
reviews (9) 37 comments vote for this gear:
Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2005

Features: This guitar was made in 2003, in Korea. It has 22 jumbo frets on a beautiful ebony fretboard. The neck and body are both mohogany I'm pretty sure, and has a black satin finish. It has a floyd rose tremolo, passive Gibson USA Alinco V Humbuckers, and 2 volume and 1 tone knobs, and a 3 way pickup selector. It is also equipted with locking grover tuners, and a locking nut. // 8

Sound: The sound Of the stock humbuckers are not all that good, expecially the neck humbucker. I am the kind of person who enjoys playing many styles of music, and pretty much, you dont really want to look into buying this, unless your are a metalhead. The bridge pickup is sensational for crunchy, heavy rythyms, and blistering leads. I'm currently using this guitar with a Marshall MG100HDFX and Marshall MG412 Cab, and it sounds wonderful. This guitar puts out great sound - scooped, crunchy rythyms. This guitar doesnt have alot of variety, but it is a great guitar for metal. If you are looking into making a purchase on this guitar, I would also suggest checking out some EMG HZ-H4s or some EMG 81s. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: When the guitar came out of the factory, the action was near perfect, it needed a little tweaking, but now, it is one of the easyest playing guitars I have ever touched. The pickups needed a little adjusting, just to get a little more output, everything came pretty well adjusted prior to me tweaking with the things I prefer. I haven't came across a flaw, and probably never will, it is a sensational guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withisand a live show. The hardware is black, and I havent seen any fading, I replaced the stap buttons before I ever used the guitar, because I use staplocks on all of my guitars. I wouldn't use this guitar at a live gug without a backup, because I use the floyd rose excesively, and it does go out of tune with too much abuse to the whammy. The finish looks seems like it may last forever, I haven't found any spots that are fading on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavy metal, and this is one of the best playing and sounding guitars for the genre I have ever layed hands on. I have been playing for 3-4 years now, and I own a Marshall MG100 Half Stack, an Epiphone Korina Flying V, an Ovation acoustic guitar, and this old school Kasino tube head. I also use a Boss MT-2 Metal Distortion Pedal, and a Dunlop Crybaby. This is definately my favorate peice of equiptment. // 8

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 26, 2004

Features: - Made in I believe Korea and is 100% inspected in the U.S. - 22 large frets. - Satin finish. - V-style body. - String through body design. - One 3 way Switch, dual volume controlls and 1 tone controll. - Dual Humbuckers. - Non-locking Epiphone tuners. - No included accessories. // 10

Sound: I personally like rock and some metal. This particular guitar is the definition of perfect for this style. I use a Crate XT15R amplifier and the new DigiTech, Grunge: heavy grind distortion pedal. It's not noisy at all. Even with the distortion all the way up it seems alot quieter than others I've played. It gets the best sound when the disortion is turned up. It can sound anywhere from like an acoustic to the heaviest metal sound there is. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was set up perfectly. The pickups were set up perfectly and when I plugged it into my tuner it was already set up tp play. It didn't have any flaws except there was a missing nut to hold the 3 way Switch, but I figure that was somthing that was messed with in the store by some little kid or somthing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far I think the guitar can withstand anything but being thrown off a building or run over by my dads 4x4 chevy pickup. The hardware is very reliable, I highly expect it to last. The strap buttons are rock solid and being a V thats somthing that is very important. The strap I use now I used to use on my Strat and it always fell off. With this guitar it hasnt sliped once. I know I can depend on it and I would keep a backup at a gig no matter what even tho I know I wont need it. The finish is outstanding. It makes my Strat look like a childs toy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock style and some metal. This guitar is a perfect match. I've been playing almost a year now. I also own a Squier: Strat, a cheap wannabe Jackson guitar, a Fender 15 Frontman amp, and a Crate XT15R amp. There isn't anything I wish I'd asked when I bought it except maybe if they could thank whoever designed the whole guitar and set it up. If it were stolen I would hunt down and hurt whoever stole it. But if I couldnt I'm dead sure I'd buy another. I love the sound quality and how quiet it is. I love the unique V shape and satin finish. So far I haven't figured out anything I dislike about it except that its a little top heavy but with a Planet Waves electric guitar strap it eliminates your problem. My Favorite feature is the whole thing itself. It's the perfect guitar for my style. I compared it to a BC Rich Bronze Warlock and an Ibanez JTK1BRS Jet King. They were both impressive with good sound but they were't quite what I was looking for. But the second I picked up this one I knew it was the perfect guitar for me. Pick one up youll see exactly what I mean. I can't think of anything I wish it had. It already has everything I personally wnat in an electric guitar. // 10

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2003

Features: The Flying V goth series is a master peice and every thing about is fucking exelent. It was made in 1958 and it has 22 frets and it is is solid graphite all in one. It has two humbuckers one near the bridge and one near the neck. It has a black finish but mine has a diamond plate pick gaurd on it. The neck is a fat maple neck. Mine came with a brown solid gig bag. // 10

Sound: The style of music that it suit best in hard metallic sounds and it believe it or not it also works well if you want to get a blues sonund out of it. The effects that I am using on is a Zoom 606 pedal and it realy does have sum shit settings on it but most of then are good and you can get some great sounds out of it. I'm also using a Marshall Valvestate 8080 and its a second hand, but it does still blow your hair back. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up as a full all in one carbon guitar. The neck has a maple finish. The pickups are at the exact place on the body. A nice finish that you could add on is a diamond plate pick gaurd and it looks so good and it also looks good when playing metallica. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's the most reliable guitar that I have ever played (others: bc rich beast, Ibanez ice man, Gibson Explorer) it the strap buttons are solid and they dont move at all. I could use it on a gig with out a back up. The hardware looks durable after two years. // 10

Overall Impression: Hands down nothing is wrong with it and well it's been compared and nothing matches it. And looks great. // 10

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: NitroCam, on november 22, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: My guitar was made in Unsung, Korea in March 2003. Mine is the string thru 'whale tail' version with 22 regular frets with a rosewood fingerboard. The neck is thin and very fast and fret acess is very good both low and high (you can do open string bends without any trouble), however the it is set neck which is really bad for sustain. The body and neck is made of mahogany and is painted satin black, and the black chrome hardwere goes well with this scheme. The tuners are Grover Rotomatics and they are very solid and are my personal favourote tuners. It has passive electronics and 2 Open Coil versions of the Alnico Classic humbuckers (Bridge and Neck). The controls are: 3 Way pickup selector, Master Tone and a seperate volume for each pickup. Also my strap kept coming off so i replaced the strap buttons. // 7

Sound: This guitar suits my style(Extreme Metal: Death metal grindcore) well but I have played on a BCrich Eagle one which I thought suited this style better. I am using a Line6 Spider 4 at the moment and i play through a Boss MetalCore distortion pedal. The 1st thing i noticed about the sound was the extremely low output on the pickups (mainly the neck), they are the only real dissapointment for me. Clean or a little overdriven they arnt too bad, but for my style they just arnt powerful enough! Clean the neck pickup is rich and bassy, the bridge is Twangy and bluesy. When you use a bit of Drive you can get a Rumbling crunchy sound from the neck, and the bridge has a nice fuzzy blues tone. When you crank the distortion up the neck still has a bad output and even with the pedal it is still weak, however it is a good sound for playing most slipknot stuff as it is quite bassy. The bridge is much better, although the output is still moderate it can sound some nice harmonics and it works ok for fast shred playing (but the higher notes are still to weak). // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't comment as I brought the guitar used but when I got it the previous owner had it set up really badly... the action was way too low as there was a load of fret buzz and the pickups were too low as well. However once I adjusted it and gave it a once over all was good (I will say that it was very easy to adjust everything the guitar is easy-maintanence). All the factory-based things were very good (Finish, electronics, tuners, etc.)so I would say the guitar was just badly set up by the previous owner! I'll give a 10 beacuse all the factory stuff was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Considering its almost 7 years old and its in nearly perfect condition, I would say there are no reliability problems! The hardware has lasted really well ecept that the nut is starting to show signs of wear. It has been droped a few times (Cause= strap buttons!) but has never let me down, the finish is also still very good and will definatly last! // 9

Overall Impression: As forementioned i play extreme metal and this guitar suits me really well as the fret acess is very good and the neck is fast. It looks awesome and will last as long as you could want! I have been playing bout 2 years now and I own 3 guitars (a cheap Encore, an old Les Paul Copy and the v) and the v is by far the best. I wish I had known how bad the pickups were as I probaly would have got a bc rich instead, but this guitar looks so uniqe and I have never seen another one! I love the alternative look and the super fast neck but the pickups really are very bad and my advice to you is if you buy this guitar, stick a Seymour Duncan dimebucker or an EMG hz in it immediatly! I compared this to similar priced BCrichs and Ibanez and although they are both great guitars I chose this beacuse of the looks and fret acsses. I wish Epiphone would do a 24 fret neck thru one with active pickups, but it would pust the price up too much. If this was lost or stolen I would be pissed as it has sentimental value but I would probaly buy a cheap Ibanez instead (even though I would look exactly the same as everyone else!) ;) // 7

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 19, 2005

Features: This is actually the Wayne Static Signature Gothic Flying V. It is a flat black finish w/Epiphone USA pickups. It has Grover Tuners and a string-thru body. The best feature is actually what it lacks which is the tone knob. The only knob is a volume knob so you can go from lower rhythm to cranked out leads. If I want to mess with the tone I go to my amp not my guitar. The always cool feature though is the Static-X symbol on the head and his miniature bust on the reverse side of the head. // 9

Sound: I was leary on the Epiphone USA pickups at first but they really blast out that signature Wayne Static sound. I use this to play everything from Journey to Killswitch Engage and I always get compliments on how good it sounds. The three way selector allows you to access some surprising warmth from the neck position. When choosing to access both pickups, you can almost get an acoustic sound when played clean but yet plays well with blues distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: One thing that surprised me was that I changed the strings on it as soon as I got home to the new DR Black Beauties (10-46). Yes I know black strings on a black guitar seems cheesy in principal but looks awesome. There are no flaws noticible with the paint or hardware. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Guitar seems to be holding its own. I always carry several guitars for different tunings (Eb, Open G, D [all 6 down a whole step] and Standard E) but if my band were to play in one tuning this would last a whole show and then some. I have played this for hours on end and then it rode a bumpy ride to gigs without going out of tune. The strap buttons seem pretty solid but we all know that over time they come loose. Strap-locks would be ideal but not necessary. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar beats some of the more expensive ones I've played. It is built to be a mteal machine but can be used universally. You get sweet clean tones to the dirtiest distortion you can imagine. Pinch and natural harmonics really sing out of this also. I am also a big fan of the blank fret board. Of course, the dots on the top side of the neck but the blank face makes it look like you know your way around the fret board even if you really don't. // 9

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: ProjectDark, on april 01, 2006

Sound: I play alterative/hard rock with lots of cleans and it suits me very well. At first the pickups are a little muddy but after some slight amp tweaks they come out fine. I play it through a Crate FTX120 and it sounds great. The pickups are realativly quiet. The pickups themselves are quite versitile easily pulling off power metal to classic rock, but I don't think they have enough punch for the heavier stuff. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this particular guitar it was a floor model so of course there were some problems but they were as expected from a floor model. The action needed some minor tweaks but nothing over 20 mins worth of work. The pickups are well placed also. Surpirsingly enough when I had purchased the guitar it was flawless, no scratched, everything was alligned correctly. Only and a really major but easily fixable complaint is that is had some bad wiring which would cause the pickups to bleed through each other and sometimes not even activate, but just wiggle the toggle a few times and it gets fixed right up, so be prepared to maybe get the electical replaced. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a trooper I've banged it around and it will not dent for anything. Standing up the guitar will tip downward at the neck and it will do it a lot, but when you play its easily remedied. The hardware and the strap locks are solid but I have had trouble with keeping the strap on (I need Straplocks). Very dependable and well built and on its own it stands up very well so theres little to worry whilst gigging. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before is suits my style fine and is versitile as long as you tweak the amp. If it were stolen I would go out and buy a different guitar, something with better pups. The only complants, kinda muddy pickups, too top heavy, and bad wiring. Other than that it's a great guitar and I got it for a steal and if your gonna get a guitar that has the potential to be a item of kickassery, then get it. // 9

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: Tremonti333, on june 26, 2007

Features: It's the "half-ass V", if you will. The price was decent, but I bought it back when I had no guitar knowledge. I bought it back in 2001-2 and I believe it was made in 2001, so it was fairly new, and it is pure USA made. It has 22 frets and a nice solid mahogany neck and body. The body is flat-black and it has an ebony fretboard with side markers and an 'XII' inlay at the 12th fret. It's got dual humbuckers and black chrome hardware. The humbuckers aren't the best and they tend to not work as well as they once did, but when they did they worked great. There were no tuning locks, or floyd rose, or any other really 'fun' add-ons on this piece but it's great as a starting guitar. It's got a string through body I believe and a sh*tty bridge which got rusty in less than the first year I owned it. // 3

Sound: My style is mixed. I'm more of a grunge/hard rock/light metal player, I'm mainly influenced by guitarists like Mark Tremonti (Alter Bridge, ex-Creed) and to a smaller extent Matt Heafy (Trivium.) I'll play anything from Acoustic stuff like Dave Matthews, to Blues like Stevie Ray Vaughan, to Hard Rock like Godsmack, Thrash like Metallica or Megadeth, or even Heavy Metal like Children Of Bodom. Anything as long as I like the sound, the guitar is coherent and not entirely simple like Kurt Cobain's riffs (I hate HIM.) To end the digression, this guitar is pretty good for all styles, surprisingly. It's got a thick neck which gives it a nice bluesy crunch to almost everything you play on it which sounds nice. It works great in Standard tuning, but when I start to drop it, the sound quality degrades along with my dignity. I bought this thing for looks, not sound; BIG mistake on my part. As soon as you start to tune down (EVEN TO JUST DROP D) you get a horrid fret buzz and you need to re-adjust the bridge, the buzz on the low E is tolerable, but it gets annoying. But it does get the job done, just not to the extent that I need being more talented now than I once was. Again, this is a great starter guitar, but do not waste your money on it if you are looking for an upgrade. The own a Hot Head pedal and a Peavey Rage 158 amp. The pedal is the best thing in my current arsenal; however money is being saved for a nice Mesa Roadster and PRS Singlecut, so for the time being, the Hot Head is the best. The Hot Head and this guitar were MADE for each other, the sound that these two make EVEN with my sh*t box amp is pretty impressive for a less than $600 rig. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was horrible! The worst ever! Me and my friend worked on this thing for hours to try and make it sound presentable and when we did it only improved it a little. Again, if you don't know much about guitar and you want something, get this but If that's not your case however, than don't even look at it. The pickups were poorly adjusted, honestly it seemed as if they rushed this thing on the market or they just didn't care. The neck and truss rod were perfect though, you've already read about the bridge as far as flaws I pretty much named them all, except for that they strung the low E, A, and D strings all wrong, the action was too high, there is bad fret buzz, and the pickups work when they feel like it. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Live playing? I would be embarrassed. The hard ware is already dead, the strap stays on surprisingly, however it can take a beating. This guitar is very sturdy aside from what I had said. The finish is great the body is near impenetrable it's just the electronics that on this machine. // 2

Overall Impression: I've already gone over just about everything there is to know. I've been playing for about 4 years now, I've owned this thing for longer though. I wished I hadn't bought this product honestly, just because I could've gotten something better for around the same price, like a PRS SE Tremonti or something. This guitar is 10x better than a Squire or any Jay Tursor though. If it were lost or stolen I'd be pissed only because I'd have nothing to play until I bought my Singlecut. I love the crunch I can get with this guitar and my "mini-rig," but I hate everything else. Everything else. I wish this guitar had tuning locks a completely different tuning system and bridge, and maybe a whammy bar, drop D switch, or kill switch would have made this more enjoyable and worth while. // 3

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: RCA1186, on september 28, 2007

Features: I bought this guitar used on ebay. It has 22 frets on an ebony fretboard. The fretboard is blank with the exception of a XII at the twelvth fret. The body is mahogany with a set mahogany neck. The paint is satin black. I replaced the pickups with EMGs 81/60. The bridge is Tune-O-Matic with no stop bar and it is string-thru. Each pickup has a master volume and there is one master tone. All hardware is black and the tuners are black grover's non-locking. // 9

Sound: The sound of the original pickups through my Crate XT120 were decent; the neck pickup is great for soloing and the bridge has a decent output, but the guitar sounded much better with EMG's. My rating is based on the original pickups and wiring. This guitar sounds and looks great especially for metal! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I'm not sure how the action was from the factory since I bought it used but I did have to adjust the truss rod in the neck. Once I did that I was able to set the action really low with minimal to no buzzing. The finish is great the EMG's look like they were made for this guitar since they are basically the same color. The only thing is you have to wipe down the guitar after you play or else the satin finish will start looking glossy from the oil in your hands and arm. Ratings based on how I recieved the guitar (action, neck, finish). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar Live with no problem and you can depend on it. I'd trust it even more now with the EMG's I put in, but get some strap locks because the strap tends to slip off the top strap button. the finish like I said seems like it will get glossy or wear off after awhile if you don't wipe it down after you play. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is a pretty sweet looking guitar and pretty reliable, after putting EMG's and straplocks on it and adjsuting the neck. If you don't know how to do that stuff I wouldn't recommend it but overall for a mahogany body with set neck, ebony fretboard and nice inlay it's a pretty good value. If it were lost or stolen I'd probably replace it with a Goth Explorer instead. // 8

Goth 1958 Flying V Reviewed by: vuk85, on april 08, 2010

Price paid: € 550

Purchased from: Local guitar shop

Features: Ok, I've bought this guitar five years ago and have been waiting since then to write about it online, just to be sure that this is not another first impression review where all rates are 9+. Made in 2004, Korea, 22 frets, 24.75" scale, rosewood fingerboard, mahogany body and neck, satin black finish, tune-o-matic bridge, string-thru body. Originally came with two pickups with separate volume controls and one master tone plus the switch. Grover non-locking tuners. No accessories. This guitar had everything I needed and still need. If I was to buy it now, it would even have too much features for my needs :) I play guitars with TOM, and am absolutely horrified by tremolos and Floyd Rose style tremolos on guitars. I hate when I see a nice, full body with a a huge hole in the back. I hate when I can't detune my instrument. I hate when a Sting breaks and whole whole setup goes to !@#$%^. Restringing guitar takes forever and each time I did that on guitars with locking tremolos, I had to do some more setup. Since I know that lot of people think that locking tremolo is an extra feature I might think of giving it -1 on that "lack"... or not. This is a Gibson style guitar and it doesn't have to have locking trem (I was shocked to see lots of goth series Epis with locking trems installed). Grovers are really good. // 8

Sound: I've been playing for 9 years now and have always played metal. It feels good when you hit the stage with a V, and a satin black one :) I use Peavey 5150 Head (Randall rh150 G3 head, Ibanez TBX 150H - spares), Randall and Marshall cabs, various Boss pedals, Sennheiser wireless and some more stuff. I also have a few Laney and Peavey practice amps. 95 percent of the time, I play on overdrive channel, I almost never use clean sounds. When I bought this guitar, I played it in my room with it's original setup. Tho humbuckers etc. Not 4 days have passed, I swapped the bridge pickup with Seymour Duncan Invader (SH-8). It made a whole world of difference. The original pickup was too bright, too gritty and didn't have enough power. When overdriven hard, it produced uncontrollable noise. Not useful - it had to go. The neck pickup was decent, but compared to the Invader, it wasn't loud enough when changing for solo (or trying to do some clean :D ). Could produce nice "mud" for solos. I left it like that for about two years. Then I installed Seymour Duncan LiveWire metal in place of Invader. Yanked the neck pickup out (and it's volume pot, the master tone and pickup switch). Since the guitar had more bassy sound with Invader, this was (again) a significant change in sound compared to previous change of pickups. With Invader, the guitar got more guts, but wasn't that great with harmonics (certainly pinched) so, when the LW came in, the guitar sounded as beastly as possible. Lots of mids and could squeal like a pig. I masked the cavity for the neck pickup and held batteries inside, so i didn't have to fiddle with the pickguard when I wanted to change those. I was really happy with that pickup, and was willing to put aside the fact that it had... too much gain :( ok, people would think "Well, for metal, there's no such thing as too much gain", but paired with amps like the 5150 or Randall even the noise gate wouldn't help that much. I changed the resistors, played withe less gain, but this thing was too much for my amps and ears (it was a mark 1 Live Wire, they don't produce those anymore, but I am not the only one that said that those pickups are just too hot). The last change in pickups has been made a year and a half ago, and the pickup i choose is a Seymour Duncan JB model (SH-4). I sure hope that this is the last change I ever make. The pickup is good all-round - beefy rhythm, nice lead, good harmonics. Nice looking guitar with nice sound. Ok, I made all these modifications, and now this guitar is a good sounding instrument, but I will have to grade it by it's original pickups, otherwise I would give it 9 easily. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Decent setup from the factory, but I had to adjust it to my needs. I do that with every guitar I get, so that isn't a flaw! I tuned it down to B, so I had to get thicker gauge strings and adjust the truss rod and the bridge. Low action with close-to-none fret buzz. I could hear it unplugged, but it didn't come out of the amp's speakers. Now I use lighter gauge strings and have tuned the instrument in regular D. The best neck I have ever seen. Whatever I do to this guitar it will retain good action and intonation. Good frets. Good grounding, until I messed it up by changing too many pickups. Now it has some hum, and I am still reluctant to redo the wiring. Long live noise gate :D The pickups were adjusted properly. I tried some lower and higher settings, but the best was the one from the factory. Yes, this guitar is made of mahogany, but it isn't the first grade stuff. I don't even think that it is a second grade wood. But it is pretty solid and resonates decently. The guitar isn't well balanced, it's head tilts downwards, but i got used to it, so it isn't a problem anymore. If the pickguard had to be removed if I wanted to change pickups or batteries (in case of active pickups, and I never want to make holes in guitars), TOM had to go too (not only the bridge itself, but also the screws that adjusted it's height)! I solved the problem by cutting a route for the screw in the pickguard, but that's another story. Interesting enough, I don't know why there are pickup rings when someone has to remove everything else alongside those to change stuff he needs. The color on my bridge went off in places where I rubbed my hand (palm muting etc.). That's ok, since I've had this guitar for more than 5 years. String saddles are SHARP. When I change my guitars, there is a vast difference between my Viper, Malden Bad Karma and this one. My palm eventually got thicker in place where I rest it on the guitar, but it could be avoided if they used better bridge. Finish itself was gorgeous! I am a big fan of satin black guitars, and I was really stoked when I bought this one. I watched it for days. Now, the guitars are meant to be played and this was no exception - I played it so much that there are shiny spots all over this guitar. The whole neck shines on it's back. Well, that's the curse of satin black colored guitars, but none the less, I am really happy what this guitar looks like, even now. I also like the fact that there are no dots/inlays on the fretboard. Only the roman 12 ( XII ) on the twelfth fret. Again - Grovers are good :) Good nut, it is almost intact (and I already have to change my Earvana compensating nut on my 4 year old Viper). // 6

Reliability & Durability: I play in clubs, mid-sized venues (when opening for bigger acts, I hope one day to be a headliner :) ), and have played a few festivals (one of them being EXIT fest, biggest festival in Balkans (since I am from Serbia)). This guitar held everything without a hitch, without string breaking, sometimes without a backup. Except for it's color, the hardware will last (since there is only a bridge to be put in the equation, no tremolo or top locking nut AND - Grovers are good :D - the guitar never goes out of tune). Strap buttons were solid, but the first thing I do to every guitar is to change those to strap locking buttons. As I already said - the finish wears off, but it only gives the guitar a more badass look. This guitar withstands live playing and will do it until either I break it or decide to retire it. A good workhorse. It did gigs, recordings and lots of rehearsals (alone or with bands). I can't give it less than 9, and it's only because the wear of the finish is considered to be a "flaw". // 9

Overall Impression: Well, as I have said before - metal is my style and this guitar matches my style both with looks and performance. I've been playing for 9 years now and have owned lots of instruments. This one withstood everything I threw at it and deserved to be called "a keeper". If it was stolen, I would be sad. This particular guitar is involved in lots of good memories and is a good piece of equipment. The other thing is that it isn't produced anymore, and if it was, I don't know if the other Goth V (even from the same series) would sound and feel the same (don't mention the neck, that could be really different). Maybe a Gibson V ( I had a Dave Mustaine DVR-8, and I am currently waiting for a Jackson King V), but this guitar is distinctive. I don't feel that anything could come in it's place. I love it's presence. You can't help but to notice it. A real metal weapon. The only thing I don't like about it is it's size (and the size of it's case... :D ). It is a major pain in the @$$ when you pack everything for gig and realize that you can't fit that giant case anywhere since you are not a bigshot star and you Drive your own Suzuki Swift instead of a van (or someone else carries it for you) :) I bought this guitar thinking that it is a good starter's V, but ended using it extensively over a few years. A good guitar doesn't have to be expensive (seen that on some Gibsons (especially new ones, they really suck compared to the old ones), American Jacksons, Ibanez (god, how can someone charge you THAT much for a basswood guitar? Just can't believe that they make some Prestige models from the same type of wood as GIO models. GIO models are charged as if they were firewood... what, that neck on someone's Prestige costs 6 times more than the whole RG GIO?). Mass produced guitars are usually mediocre, but I found this one, and I can say that it serves it's purpose just fine. Would give it 9, but if it was for the original setup, it will have to be 7. This is a potentially Killer axe, you just have to be lucky enough to find a good one (because I read some reviews online where people stated that they had bought really bad guitars). // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014