Goth G-400 Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 11/08/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Goth G-400
22 Frets. Mahogany Neck and Body. 2 Alnico V Humbuckers. Black Chrome Hardware. Set neck joint.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.2
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.7
 Features: 8.1
 8.2
 8.1
 8.2
reviews (14) pictures (1) 26 comments vote for this gear:
Goth G-400 Reviewed by: dio_dude, on july 17, 2007

Purchased from: music corner whyalla

Features: This one was made in 2006 (I'm guessing cause it was in perfect condition) in Korea. It is suprisingly good for a korean guitar. It didn't come with any extra's which was fine because I already had all the needed stuff. It has a tune-o-matic bridge with grover tuners. The SG style body is really light. I think the neck is mahogany and it's weight is more than the body! The pickups are great for any experience level. It has 22 thin frets which can become quite annoying if you play up at the very top of the neck. Not too much trouble though. // 9

Sound: I play through a Fender G-DEC practice amp and it sounds amazing! I usually put the gain on full and use the delay time at about 300. I play mostly thrash metal but I also play a bit of glam metal and neo-classical metal. Aside from metal I play a bit of blues and rock. I do have some trouble playing this through my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. It doesnt't take kindly to heaps of gain once you go past the 12th fret. I will say, however that this guitar is great for the price (remember that this is in australian dollars so all you americans would pay propably 400-300 dollars for this) and it handles anything quite well. Not the fastest neck I've ever played but it is quite good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Music corner (the shop I got it from) set up the guitar just perfectly. The owner of the shop is a fellow metal head so he can set up just about any guitar to be a full out metal machine, my guitar is an wxample of this. He set up the pickups and the action to the best for all round playing and set up the neck for free (gee what a pal). There was no flaws whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I practice about three hours a night (not that I have to, I just love playing) and the paint on the tune-o-matic bridge is starting to wear because of palm muting and so are the bolts because of the cold weather. The strap buttons are great. They haven't failed me yet and thesee are the factory ones. Non locking! A locking tremolo would be useful on this, not just for the whammy bar, but also for making the tuning stick. This thing goes out of tune eally easily if you put new strings on. My band played bark at the moon by ozzy osbourne at the year 8 talent contest and won, and the pickups didn't feed back much. So I guess it will withstand live playing. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for metal. I've been playing for a year and a half and own one other guitar, a monterey stage series (crap) and I also own a Drive 20 watt practice amp. I was originally going to buy a Jackson but I saw this and made a mistake. Still a pretty good guitar but it is certainly no Jackson. If it were stolen I would care, but not to the point where I go phsyco and murder the guy who did it. I definately wish it had a locking tremolo. But it would cost around 700 bucks just to have it put in, which makes some sense because they would have to rought out a place for it, change the pickups and all that juck, and then I would have to buy the locking system for about 300 dollars! So I think I would just buy a 700 dollar Ibanez with a locking tremolo in it. // 8

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: Next_Van_Halen, on august 09, 2004

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This guitar was made in the us it has 2 humbuckers dual volume and tone knobs and a three way switching toggle. It has 22 frets with a XII on the 12th fret. It is a flat black on the body and headstock and a gloss black on the pick gaurd. // 8

Sound: This guitar is amazing! it is good for metal rock and some punk. (I love metal, I hate punk and emo.) I'm going through a 30 watt Crate amp and I use a classic crybaby wah, a Digitech Metalmaster and Deathmetal distortion, a Dod Grunge Pedal, and a Danelectro Shift Daddy. All sound primo (awesome) with this gutar. Gotta love this sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was made perfect. Thank you all the makers at Epi! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is reliable but I always bring my back up. It sounds good live, I've had to put on strap locks. It will last a good while but paint chips easy. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall is that this guitar is great for metal and rock I'd recomend this to any 1 out there. I wish it had some seymore duncan screaming demons which I will buy myself. If it were stolen I'd cry and go buy another 1 in a heartbeat. If I left anything out I'm sorry but I wanna go play my Epi! // 10

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: BjarnedeGraaf, on july 05, 2012

Features: Lets go over the basics: Mine was made in Korea around the year 2008 It has: Body: mahogany Neck: mahogany, glued in Scale: 24.75" Neck Profile: SlimTaper "D" Nut width: 1.68 Fingerboard: rosewood, 22 fret Fingerboard: 12" Neck Pickup: Alnico Classic humbucker Bridge Pickup: Alnico Classic Plus humbucker Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Neck pickup: 1-Volume, 1-Tone Bridge pickup: 1-Volume, 1-Tone w/full-size 500K O potentiometers Hardware: Nickel Tuners: Grover 14:1 ratio Color: Pitch Black (PB) Too bad there is no Whammy. // 8

Sound: I play through a piece-o-shit 15 Watt Jaysound amp (total beginner shizzle, entire guitar set for like 100 euro's) and even through that, this guitar sound A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I have found that this guitar basically suits all my needs. For such a "dark" guitar it's really all-round if you ask me. I haven't come across any troubles yet, on clean it plays great, and it sounds even better with the distortion on. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The store I bought it always makes sure their guitars are in top shape, and to me, this was no exception. They took it off the wall for me to play, they didn't even need to tune it. The guitar, in my eyes, was perfect. It's my sweet "Laura". (Yes I name my guitars). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can withstand live playing any day. It seems to me the hardware will last a long, long time. I practice about 2 hours a night, and each time I finish, I look to my fingertips and think I turned into an African American. That is to say: "My fingers went all black yo!". I haven't seen the paint fade yet, but seeing as my fingers keep getting black after playing, I'm guessing this won't be long, so that minus 1 point. The strap buttons are great. One is located on the back of the guitar, and the other one on the bottom (if it hangs on my wall) of the guitar, it makes the strap real comfortable, and you don't need to get a larger strap than usual. The Grover tuners are really nice when it comes to tuning, I really like it, it's much easier then with any other tuners I have used so far. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly pop-punk/punk/rock/hardrock/metal. I own the following bass guitar: Morgan JB 620. (bought it from a friend of mine, its a really reliable bass). I play the bass for about 7 months now, and guitar for about 4/5 months (but I'm a speedy learner). If it was stolen, I probably would get the same, for it's price, there is just no comparison I believe. This is a great All-rounder. My favorite feature - the feature that I love - would be the cross located between the tuners, or the XII inlay on the (doh, here it comes) 12th fret. The thing I "hate" the most, is that it doesn't have more inlays, since my last guitar, I'm used to, since I can't play without looking at my frethand yet, look at the inlays. Then again, not having the inlays will make me better quicker! // 9

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 01, 2004

Purchased from: Ump Sales

Features: This is a 2003 goth made in USA, 22 fret, solid body, it has 2 tone 2 volume and a three way position Switch. It has two open coil humbucking pickups, mahogany body and bridge, it's an SG, it has grover tuners, with a set neck. // 10

Sound: I can accomplish any sound I want pretty much I only recommend metal to rock, I play it on my wonderful Peavey bandit 112 with metal master DigiTech pedal. It's not noisy the pickups are very quiet but it can buzz a little on the high tone position. It's a bright sound but very full, I recommend sticking to heavy metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up well, I love it except when I got it it had extremely high action on strings g b e, so I popped off the nut and sanded it down. I also had to raise the pickups up from the body, the top was properly bookmatched there was a flaw on the bridge a chip of wood missing, everything else was perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This will withstand live playing time after time, the hardware is great, the finish will not wear off seings how its a flat finish, strap buttons are sturdy and on well, I can depend on this thing for anything I want it to, and it is even good enough to use without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal to rock to punk to soft rock and I love it, I've been playing for 1 year (I'm a quick learner), I own a Yamaha acoustic and a morgan monroe acoustic, I would by a different guitar if it were stolen or lost, I would by the g400 Vintage, I love that its nice sounding for a good price, and I hate that its kind of plain and top heavy as heck, my favorite feature is XII inlayed on the 12th fret, I compared it just to other SG's both Gibson and Epiphone, mainly the Gibson SG faded and Epiphone g400 Vintage, I chose this one bc it was nice and a great price, I wish it had pickup covers to add a small amount of Shine to it like the g400 Vintage has ohh and more fret markings, I recommend it to any musician new to old. // 10

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: jefffelker40, on june 03, 2008

Features: It was made in 2006, I imagine in China, it has 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, and the bulkiest neck I've played so far, it throws off the balance of the guitar so much that if you don't all ways hold on to it, it dives toward the floor, the paint job is ugly dull and boring, flat black, the inlays got old fast, with a tacky "XII" on the 12th fret. It's got cheap stock pickups, passive of course, I couldn't get $10 for them. A 3 way tone selector, mahogany body. // 1

Sound: It does not suit my musical style at all, that would be speed metal, or punk, or thrash, this thing has a slow neck, and it makes an ugly deep sound like it's underwater, not much variety too it, I've tried everything but changing the pickups I know that would fix some of the problems, but what about the rest of them? // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: I think it was set up fine, the pickups were cheap, I imagine they couldn't do much else with them, no flaws if you don't count the fact that the balance is so screwed up, I got a beginner guitar at an outlandish price. The guitar as a whole is too noisy. Action was all right. // 1

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is not reliable, I would never put people through the agony of hearing it Live, the strap buttons are fine, the finish is ugly, but I think it will stay on it. Durability I think it's got plenty of that, but so does a rock. Hardware seems like it will last. // 1

Overall Impression: This guitar isn't for me, if you want a doom type of sound, then it may be for you, I wish I would have asked to try a different guitar, but I was still learning when I got it 2 years ago, if it were stolen or lost, I would not give a damn, I should have gotten my Ibanez rg first, it makes me wonder if SG's suck this bad, do les pauls feel this horrible, I sort of don't care after playing this thing, I'll stick with Ibanez and maybe Dean. // 1

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: Lucius338, on november 08, 2013

Features: This guitar was made in Korea in 2004. Has a mahogany fingerboard with 22 thin frets. Has the typical tune-o-matic bridge with non-locking Grover tuners. Rocking some pretty crunchy dual passive Alnico V humbuckers. Mahogany SG-style body with an ebony paint job, has nice transparent pick guard that blends great with the body. 3-way pickup switch, two tone control knobs and two volume control knobs. Extremely lightweight body, so much so that it's top-heavy. Has the top strap peg behind the body, very convenient. One of my sexiest guitars. // 9

Sound: Those dual Alnico V humbuckers create a really full, dark sound, when combined with the mahogany body. The neck pickup is nice and thumpy, and the bridge pickup is awesome for some nice lead tones. The tone knobs massively affect the tone. Intonation was a bit of an issue to do (which will dock some fit and finish) but, when I finally got it completed, sounded great up and down the neck. Unfortunately, the nut is a bit off, making the notes on the low frets can tend to be a tad sharp, but isn't particularly noticeable unless playing with a band with really long notes on the first fret. I use it for Drop C - Drop A#, and it works excellent. I use it through a Fender Mustang III, and I highly anticipate getting to hear it through a tube amp. As far as distortion and overdrive go, this guitar is a beast. As far as cleans go, the pickups are a little bassy and crunchy, a lot different than the cleans on other SG's I have played, but not horrible by a long shot. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I bought this guitar from a friend, I have only a faint idea of how a Epiphone designed this guitar to be set up. I do all my own adjustments, intonation, truss rod adjustments, you name it. However, the pickups are in good spots: all the way to the neck and all the way to the bridge. They make a great variety of tones (although all are a little dark). The nut, as I mentioned before, is improperly fitted, at least a bit, as my low frets come out sharp. But not noticeable to the untrained ear. The tone knobs come off occasionally, but go back on in (literally) a snap. The intonation was hard to adjust, as the saddles were loose, but still possible. The bridge is beginning to rust a bit as well. But for what I paid, still a hell of a bargain. // 7

Reliability & Durability: After having this guitar for a year, I haven't put a scratch on it, using only a gig bag for transportation. However, the wood is a little soft, and has a few dents and imprints on it from hard objects like keys. The strap pegs are a little shaky for my taste, especially since the headstock tends to wander to the ground, but I've never dropped it because of them. I have never experienced any electronic issues, tuning issues, etc. As far as I can tell so far, this is a durable guitar, by all standards. // 8

Overall Impression: I am a hardcore metalhead, and this guitar works perfectly for that. It works well in insane drop tunings, and has great string action (the way I have set it up). This is my only metal guitar, along with my Ibanez Gio, with an HSH pickup configuration. Compared to the Ibanez, this thing gets nastier on the grindy tones, but the Ibanez blows it out of the water, when it comes to cleans. However a little bit less than sufficient on cleans, it is nonetheless an excellent guitar. If anyone can get one for under $300, I would HIGHLY recommend you do so, if you ever use distortion. With the awesome batman type appearance and the awesome metal crunch, I would definitely replace it with another if it was stolen. // 8

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2003

Features: This little Epiphone is about the exact replica of an Gibson SG Gothik except for little details like the pick-ups and things...I had that guitar 1 year and a half ago and it still kiiiiicks ass. It was made in 2002, it has 22 frets and both pick-ups have a volume and tone control. The pick-up selector is a 3 way, nothing complicated. PLug to a good amp, this gutiar really rocks and metal lovers will be satisfied. // 10

Sound: As I said, this is a true metal guitar. The dark black color proves it and once pluged you totally get blowed away by this little machine. I use this with my original Jim Dunlop Cry-baby wah and it sound like hell! I play a lot of Metallica and even though my amp is dead, it still has an extremely agressive sound when the treble pick-up is on amd mixed with the wah-wah you can kick Kirk Hammett's solos! The cool thing is, in opposition to normal metal guitars, this one can do a beautiful sweet sound wich is really important for those who like to play little balads sometimes. Something really cool too is the electronic sound you get because it's a gothik edition wich means who can easily get a Zakk Wylde sound with the good settings and picking. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is really impressive on that point. Everything is always working well and nothing breaks. It never get untuned and the neck is properlly placed to solo easily and with place cause for those like me with big hands, it's sometimes hard to solo on a guitar like a Strat where the cutaway blocks your hand. The only problem I have is: sometime when I change pick-up the wires don't connect to the Switch so it takes a little 25 seconds to get your sound back by playing with the swith wich is fragile!!! And another thing is the jack that gets loose sometimes. It's nothing scary but just enough to get on yuor nerves when you're tired! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I really love playing live with this guitar cause I'm never scared it's gonna break in pieces while i'm playing a good solo. You gotta be vigilant because the hardware may look hard but just a little knock knock on you wall corner and you can make a little " hole". So watch this ! the strap buttons holds good, I'm always playing while standing and nothing seems to wanna die...each button has a big screw. I'm playing a lot live without this without backup so...G-400 ROCKS!!! // 10

Overall Impression: As a metal player, this guitar totally rocks, just look at who played SG's : Tony Iommi (Black Sabbath) Angus Young (AC/DC) so it definitly has a rocker's heart! I've been playing 1years and a half 2 hours a day minimum or so and it still goes well as when I bouth it. Something absolutely cool is because of the neck position, its really easy and good feeling to solo with this, each person who tried it, just totally loved it. The only thing I would like sometimes is a tremolo but then I say it would be ugly so I just think about all the good thing that this guitar has and I get my smile back! I really love it to because even though it's a metal guitar you can play anything with it and it still sounds really good. In fact it's the best buy guitar for the price. // 10

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2004

Purchased from: The Music Shop

Features: The Epiphone SG Goth G-400 has 22 frets. It has 2 tone keys and 2 volume keys my Epiphone SG came with Gibson humbucker 500T super ceramic pick-ups which added to the sharp tone. The body and neck are made of mahogany. Its scale is 24.75 nut width 1.68. The body style is a SG. I think this guitar is the best Gibson SG copy ever. // 10

Sound: This guitar is suitable for any stlye of music but it is best with any kind of rock. I have tried this guitar with my Marshall MG15CDR amplifier and my Vintage cry-baby wah-wah pedal and the tone is magnificient I have moatly being playing the offspring and nirvana songs with it this guitar sounds very sharp with overdrive. The only thing I don't like about this guitar is the wood they use for the body is very soft. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is good but it could be better though. Most things except for that were very good there was no flaws on my Epiphone G-400. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very suitable for live performing because the hardware is fitted perfectly. The finish probably eventualy ware of through time. I haven't needed to tighten the strap buttons yet. Yeah you could use this guitar on a gig without backup it is very reliable. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is excellent for punk rock. I have been playing the guitar for like 2 years now and I have had this guitar for about 6 monthes. I also own a Fender Strat, Marshall amp and phaser pedal Fender precision bass and Vintage cry-baby wah-wah pedal. // 10

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: YouKnowYourRite, on february 16, 2004

Purchased from: Intersales Music

Features: 2003 made in Korea, 22 Frets, 2 Alcino V Pickups, 3 way Switch, 2 tone pots, 2 volume pots. TOM bridge, stop tailpiece, Grover Tuners, Mat Black finish and hardware. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits me well as a metal guitar but it has versatility and I could use it for a range of styles. I am running it through a chain of Guitar --> crybaby --> chorus ensemble --> overdrive/distortion --> MG30DFX and it performs very well, though if I use the bridge pickup it is considerabley noisier then the neck pickup. It has a very full and powerful sound if I crank the distortion and it has pretty good cleans if I add chorus via my pedal. Perfect for what I need. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up well in the factory but after 3 weeks of purchase there was a defect in the wiring, I returned it to Intersales and they soldered the earth wire and the guitar has been fine every since, the pickup selector can be noisy but I rarely use it as I stick to the neck humbucker. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I would gig without a backup if I had to, it's very durable and hard wearing its taken quite a beating yet still performs to standard. // 10

Overall Impression: This product is a very versatile guitar suitable for a number of styles including rock, metal, blues, punk and probably most other things, the only real flaw in this guitar was the faulty wiring but that was fixed quickly in half an hour at the store. // 10

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: RollOn467, on february 24, 2004

Features: First off, my guitar is a REGULAR G-400, not a Custom or Goth, although there was no option for it. I didnt choose to put this under custom because im pretty sure the custom has 3 humbuckers. Now to the review. I bought my Black G-400 (basically an Epiphone SG) new, and im pretty sure it was made in 2002, I bought it in early 2003. It has 22 frets, and im not really sure where it was made. Its got 2 humbuckers that sound pretty decent, although not the best, standard Gibson 3 way selector with a volume/tone for each pickup. Standard Epiphone tuners, im pretty sure its made of mohagany, with a rosewood fretboard, like just about all SG's, it doesent have a tremlo bar. Also like most Gibson/Epiphones, its got the thick neck, and the neck has a finsh on it, which tends to get annoying. // 6

Sound: I'd rate this guitar as pureley average, I hate to say. My musical style is all over the place, I enjoy playing softer new RHCP stuff to punk, such as the Living End and Sex Pistols, to 80's metal like Iron Maiden, even a bit of Hendrix. I don't think anyone can expect one guitar to put out enough different sounds to cover that entire range. The guitar does a pretty good job of covering the range of music I play, it gives me a good, not great sound, on most things, with the exception being more Vintage sounds like Hendrix. Also, the two humbucker approach does not give the versatility of a Strat style guitar, with three pickups and a 5 way selector, which is a bit of a dissapointment. Oh yeah I use the guitar with a 30 watt Marshall amp, a Boss od/distortion pedal and a DigiTech RP300A (I think) pedal. The thing that really brings the sound down, is not the pickups, strings, frets or anything, but the width of the neck and the finish on the neck. The neck is a bit too thick for my liking, and the finish is prolematic when playing for extended periods of time (an hour plus). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in fine condition, nothing broken or worn out, the pickups were alright too. No problems in construction that I could pick up. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just started a band, so we dont play gigs yet, and im sure the guitar will stand up durability wise, im just not sure if I want to play it on stage, like I mentioned above, the neck is a bit iffy. A few of the tuning pegs seem like they might break down the road, but for now I think all the hardware will say in place. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about a year and a half now, like I mentioned above I like to play a lot of different types of music. If my guitar was lost/stolen/broken beyond repair, and I was on the same budget, around $400, I would probably buy a 2 SC 1 HUM Standard Strat. I am starting to like the Strat more and more and half wish I would have bought one. Comparing it directly to a Mex Standard Strat, I think that the Strat is the better choice, but its just my opinion, so dont go buy a guitar based on this. One thing I wish my guitar had, a single coil between the humbuckers and a 5 way pickup selector. Overall, the Epiphone G-400 is by no means a bad guitar, theres defintley some good things about it, its just I think that for the money I spent I could have found something better. // 6

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: Spawn3323, on august 04, 2004

Features: I don't exactly no when it was made but I'm almost certain it was made in china. This guitar has 22 frets, it's a set neck (mat mahogany) no fret markers except the pearl XII on the 12 fret. The body is the standard SG-400 body mat black (which I prefere to glossy finishes) body is mahogany too. Comes with black hardwear an 2 open coil Gibson made humbuckers. Standard 2 tone an 2 volume knobs, 3 way Switch (neck pick up, bridge pick up, both) passive electronics, standard input jack on the front of the body. I don't have a clue bout the make of the tuners coz I changed then because they suck but they rattle now need to buy a new set. It came with a cheap bag and thats it. // 6

Sound: This guitar is good for playin heavy metal but I play more punk rock so it's ok not great it sounds quite muddy an quite strange at low volume so crank it up an it sounds fine. I'm using a peavy studio 200 amp at the moment its quite nice I use the amps overdrive an studio chorus together for a punchy sound, it is noisy wit the overdrive on but I like the feedbck it gives. This guitar is excelent at making palm muteing sound thick an full an not strachy an crap (no offence). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very bad when I got it an it used to be quite challenging to play but I got it professionally set up with 0.009 - 0.042 elixr strings an now it is so effortless to play an can be strummed for hours. There were a few flaws on this guitar like shoddy electrics which kept falling apart an breaking, it broke the night before a small show my band had (stiches) but luckly I learnt how to use a soldering iron lol. An the screws are all rusty now, loose tuning pegs erm wot else scuffs an scratches I think thats it, but I only paid 200 for it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has bin through alot I have played a few small show (at my school) an it played great an I'm a heavy handed player so even wen my band are jammin we play hard I'm not sure if its me or the guitar but I keep snapping strings. I changed my hard wear coz I didnt like how black the guitar was (maybe I shouldnt have brought the Gothic version) the strap buttons are ok but the 1 nearest to the neck is in an odd place an it makes the guitar unbalanced so I can't let go of the neck or it hits the floor (trust me it does) it is quite dependable an it needs no back up guitar coz to me this seems like a strong guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I play punk rock music (Blink 182, New Found Glory) but I also play sum other heavyer stuff which fits this guitar perfectly. I've only bin playin about a year maybe a bit longer but I got this in october an it's still my baby. I wish I asked about the pickups ect (which I hope to upgrade) it's either buy a new guitar (Epi Dot-335) or get a new bridge pick up (Gibson "Dirty Fingers") if any1 has an opinion on wot I shoul'd do email me spawn3323@hotmail.com or PM me. I love the distorted sound of this guitar but I hate the clean sound of it jus sounds scratchy. I also own a Taylor "Big Baby" acoustic an I love this guitar also. But my SG is my baby even tho it's not the best guitar about its worth buyin if ur looking for a stylish guitar wit a gd distorted sound also it is good downtuned so this is a heavy metal players dream. // 8

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: Dustin_Ortiz850, on june 05, 2007

Purchased from: TheLastDJ

Features: It was made in 2003 in China. There are 20 Frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a solid top. The body is mahogany as well as the neck. The finish is a heratage cherry. the Body is an exact replica of an SG. The Bridge is a Tune-O-Matic. It has passive Gibson Burstbuckers. There is a tone and volume control for each pickup with a 3 way swich. I changeed the pickup configuration from stock pickups to Gibson Burstbuckers. The tuners are stock Grover tuners with 18:1 ratio. I got it with a case. // 10

Sound: It suits my musical styles pretty well. I play a lot of Black Sabbath style riffing so I thought the SG was my only choice. I use it with an Epiphone Studio 15R and a DigiTech GNX 1. It isn't noisy at all with the burstbuckers, but stock it was a little noisy so It is much better when you upgrade the pickups. I can get the classic SG tone out of it but I can get a lot of other good tones out of it too. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was bought used so I don't really know how well it was set up at the factory. But when I got it the action was perfect. I suggest Putting some Elixer 11's on it and playing away. It really improves the tone and action. The top was perfect when I got it it was properly bookmatched. The bridge was just as it was supposed to be at. The guitar has no flaws that I know of other then a little belt rash. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would survive very well for the way That I play on stage. The hardware is very durable and will last a very long time. The strap bottons are replaced as with all of my guitars and bases with Dunlop Straplocks. I would depend on it until I die. I would use it at a gig without a backup if I had too but I prefer to have a back up as with any guitar or bass I use. The finish is durable and strong. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock and metal. This thing matches me perfect. I have been playing guitar a little under 6 years. I also play a Epi Les Paul Standard Plus, A Series 10 LP copy, and a Epi Thunderbird IV Reverse bass. I regret nothing by buying this beautiful axe. If it were stolen I would have a hard time finding the model I have now but I would buy it again if I could find it. I love the sound. I hate nothing. My favorite feature is the action. I compared it to a Gibson SG Standard, and I prefered this one's sound. I realy wish it had a tremelo but then it wouldn't be an Epiphone G-400 SG! // 10

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: aewrstdryfguhkn, on january 26, 2009

Price paid: A$ 275

Purchased from: Billy hyde

Features: Oigin of make is not know I'm currently preusming that it the handcraft of chinamen which build these guitars passionately (notice the hint of sarcasm). year, looks like it's been influenced by modern gothisim so no earlier than 1990`s. it's made of ye good ol mehogany/alder and the finish is a black matt kind of like a cross between the colour of getting ur eye bruised whilst you have a generous smearing of mascara. it's a set neck to you get soo much sustain that you can still hear tone after you turn your amp off. 2 tone and 2 volume to change the tone from grizzly bear to mighty mouse with a fiddle of the nobs (giggles*). Pickups are Standard epi's so you can't go wrong. other features include the guitars awesomeness which, yes, I unlike other guitar noobs consider a feature. // 9

Sound: The sound, to be completely and utterly honest does not have too much variation, it's eighter grunt or roar, but that's what any REAL guitarist would need isnt it? none of that clean un-distorted crap form me thanx. of course with a guitar that looks like it's been salvaged from the deapths of hell it mostly suits the metal genre but you can pull of some classic rock with it. I'm running it on a prac 20W amp which is like putting chuck norris in an under 10 boxing arena. so I'm not using it to it's full potential. it delivers a "rich/full sound" which makes up for what I lack as I am niether rich nor full. (open to interpredation). I can't afford and effects atm and I could barely pay for the guitar with the remaining kidney I sold so I can't say too much bout effects. But in general I love the sustain and overall grunt on this thing. But if you haven't noticed I'm the type of person Who plays his guitar on only 2 settings: max distortion/moderate distortion. In conclusion it's got a good distortion thing going for it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: if I could make love to the action on this babe I would but unfortunately that's outlawed in Aus. once again I would like to bring up the issue of incredible sustain and the guitar did not have any flaws considering it was a secind hand. Some may argue that it's a heavy guitar but then some are idiots. the guitar is a decent weight and does not weigh half as much as it's Lp counter part. although the neck can be considered a bit too chunky for my linking. // 8

Reliability & Durability: durability I have no idea, mainly because I haven't gigged with this bastard yet but if it can withstand 2 hours of powerchord bashing to piss of the junkee nieghbours then it should be set for a Live preformance. the selector Switch looks a bit flimsy but then again ud only get a decent Switch on guitars over 500. I would see no reason a backup is necisary as this guitar seems durable enough to play in a Megadeth concert. HOWEVER, neither the guitar nor the audiece will withstand the playing of shit music by bands such as the ting tings and the jhonas bros. but then again which guitar can. I wish to warn you that if you do choose to play Jhonas bro songs that ur guitar will spontaneaously combust and I will take the liberty of burning your house down for you have defiled such a great guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: in general it's a very good guitar but could be better suited form me personlly with more trebel. but besides that the gear is great and the guitar is as durable as a chainsaw slicing through butter (idk if that dosent make sense). it's good for metal heads but can pass off in other genres. if it where stolen I'd save my tears in a jar until it was soo full that I could drown the person Who stole it and everyone he ever loved. And I would like to state the fact that I'm associated with chuck norris so for any of you Who have any bright ideas, I will personally see to it that chuck will roundhouse kick you in the back of the face. // 9

Goth G-400 Reviewed by: Insanitus, on september 23, 2010

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is a 2003 Epiphone G-400 Goth, made in the USA. Its features consist of 22 frets, a solid body, bevelled and cut in the shape of the famous SG, two tone controls and two volume controls (one volume and one tone for each pickup), a three-way position switch, and Grover tuners. It has two open coil Alnico Classic humbucker pickups, mahogany body and set neck of the same material, with a fretboard made from Rosewood. The twelfth fret inlay is XII ( the roman numeral for 12 for those of you not in the know), which of course adds to the gothic/metal feel to the guitar. The bridge is tune-o-matic, which I am a huge fan of in almost any guitar, adding to the beautiful simplicity. The body is painted in a gloss black, with all hardware in black. This guitar is very light, given what it is. Of course, as with all SG's, the head is heavier than the body, so when you're wearing it on a strap and not playing, it might be an idea to just keep hold of the neck, so that it doesn't swing down and hit something, this being something that I have done a couple of times. When I first saw this guitar, several band images went through my mind, some of which being Black Sabbath/Toni Iommi, which is a fairly obvious one; other bands that I feel this guitar would suit in terms of image are Evanescence, Anberlin, Celldweller, Demon Hunter, and Lacuna Coil as well as some hard rock bands such as Nickelback, Foo Fighters and HIM. I'd say this guitar is very suited to heavy metal and hard rock. As I brought this guitar from eBay, second-hand, there were no accessories with it. I have rated it a 9 for how well it fits in with the whole metal/hard rock image. If you're looking to play or do already play these genres, then this guitar is definitely for you, lookswise. However, I am more a fan of satin finishes as opposed to gloss finishes - it's harder to leave fingerprints on a satin finish! I believe this is all it would take to bring my rating up to a 10. // 9

Sound: I'm a heavy metal player predominantly. I do also play hard rock songs when I'm bored, by artists such as Nickelback especially. However, as said, I use this guitar for metal, which means I use drop-tuning, hence thicker gauge strings. I use Ernie Balls Not Even Slinky gauge, which is.12 -.56. This guitar will always stay in Drop B or Drop C. I am currently starting a band that is heavily influenced by Rammstein and Slipknot, so I need a guitar that has a nice, heavy sound, which the G-400 provides easily. I leave it on the Treble setting for a nice, crunchy, tone that I find great for heavy riffs, palm-muting and general rhythm work, and then Switch to the Rhythm for a full, deep tone for solos. I am running my G-400 through a Line 6 Spider III 150watt head and Hughes And Kettner cab speaker, no pedals involved. I have a clean setting with reverb and a dash of chorus, a distorted setting with higher reverb and medium delay for solos, a less distorted setting for softer riffs that still need that little growl, and then my solo setting, minus the reverb and distortion, for my main distorted tone. This guitar sounds beautiful when played clean. If you play it clean without any effects whatsoever, it's very reminiscent of Nickelback's How You Remind Me clean tone. However, using the effects I am using, it's a very ethereal sound, still bright and easy to hear every single note, whilst keeping just the right amount of bottom end. The distorted sound is so suited to heavy metal, palm-muting sounds fantastic, it doesn't buzz in that god-awful way that it shouldn't, and the sound itself packs one hell of a punch when played medium to loud volume range. I honestly can't think of any reason not to rate the sound of the G-400 any less than a ten. However, if you are looking for a guitar that can cover a wide range of genres, then admittedly this guitar probably isn't for you, as I've said, being suited more towards heavy music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Seeing as I purchased this guitar second-hand, the setup was really good. The strings weren't too low or too high, nor were the pickups, and if I recall correctly, there was only one chip in the paint, which wasn't noticeable until I went looking for it (There are now several more courtesy of myself!). The only thing similar to this I found were the belt-buckle scratches on the back... But that really made no difference to me... Who's going to see scratches like that whilst you're playing? However, I took it upon myself to open the guitar up and examine the electrics... This resulted in me taking out the pickups and putting them back in, just a tiny bit higher, just to get an almost unnoticeable increase in volume. The only thing I found that disappointed me was that the first time I changed the strings to. 12's, the gaps in the nut and bridge weren't wide enough. However, some very simple, quick and easy filing took care of this. Therefore, I rate this a 9. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood live playing for me before. Nothing too vigorous, only a couple of performances at college during my Music Technology course. The hardware seems infallible, and seeing as I've had this guitar four years next February, and I've not felt or seen any differences to the hardware since I purchased it, I'd happily say I'm certain the hardware will last. The same goes for the finish -- It shows no signs of fading or wearing away. The strap buttons are solidly attached and show no signs of coming loose. Whilst playing in my room, my strap has come off once or twice, but this is due to wear and tear on the strap holes themselves as opposed to any issue with the strap buttons. I can honestly say I depend on this guitar, it's served me faithfully for almost four years. The only thing I had to fix was the connecter on the input, which simply needed bending back into place, and this was through usage, and nothing more. I would continue to use it to gig with happily. I would bring a back up guitar with me (my BC Rich Warlock), but only because to rely solely on one guitar for a show is simply asking for trouble! Hence the 10 I give this section. // 10

Overall Impression: As said above, I play heavy metal and hard rock, and the G-400 is perfect for this. I've been playing for five years, four of those with this guitar, two of which it has shared equal duties with my Warlock. But I've always come back to my G-400. I didn't compare this to any other products before purchasing, it was simply a case of That guitar will be mine... Oh yes, it WILL be mine. If it were stolen, I'd pound the person who stole it, and hopefully beat its location out of them... If it were lost for good, I'd be heartbroken, but I would save up and buy another one... Obviously it wouldn't have the sentimental value, but my Faith in Epiphone has been so reinforced because of this guitar. As stated above, the only thing I wish this guitar has is a satin finish, so that I wouldn't have to keep wiping it down to get rid of fingerprints! Thanks for reading, if you buy one of these, you won't look back! // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014