Goth Les Paul Studio Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 05/14/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Goth Les Paul Studio
This is an incredibly versatile guitar. It's honestly more like a $800-1000 guitar, and for rock/blues sounds as good as or better than guitars costing 10 times as much.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 9.4
 8.7
 9.1
 8.3
reviews (16) pictures (2) 75 comments vote for this gear:
Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: Jerbo, on may 06, 2005

Features: This guitar is awesome, its flat black finish just sets it off. I'm prety sure it's a '04 model. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge but there are some models with a floyd rose. The pickups on it are very good- alnicos, but I'm in the process of putting a set of Duncans on. Grover tuners, and a cool lookin' cross at the headstock make up a damn good guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar certain looks and plays the part for my styles (classic rock, hard rock, thrash, and a little blues). This guitar doesn't make an annoying sound whatsoever, clean or dirty. The sound is very deep, excellent for distortion junkies. But you might need to tinker with whatever gear you got for the clean sound if you like a brighter tone. I'm currently using a Fender amp with a Boss MT-2 distortion and a Crybaby, and this guitar just flows. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't like the 10 gauge that most of these guitars come with. So I put a 9 set on and lowered the bridge just a little. The pickups were ok where they were. Everything was relatively new when I got it, so it was in good shape. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has taken a good beating, and still plays like it was built by God. Like every guitar I'm sure, it got a few nicks here and there. I didn't trust the strap button and got some strap locks just incase. I personally think that that worn look on a guitar looks badass, but this flat black finish is here to stay. Only that s--t is comin' off is if I was gunna burn it! // 10

Overall Impression: I think I played every guitar the damned store had, day after day, before I chose this guitar. The whole thing haunted me until I eventually bought it. This is my firt electric guitar, and I love it. And that goes for all Gibson/Epiphone guitars. The Gothic series are all awesome guitars, each with the same dark deep tone. I think my favortie feature beside the unique sound is the iron/irish (whatever) cross at the headstock. If you're looking for great Gibson tone at a less expensive price, give an Epiphone a chance. // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: Solus Custos, on january 30, 2004

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: This is a Goth Les Paul Studio. This is the only Les that Epiphone makes that Gibson doesn't to my knowledge. Which was a good plus for it. Of course it was made overseas (it's an Epiphone) but the quality of the guitar is really good. It has 22 frets with a roman numeral 12 (XII) laid into the twelveth fret and a white cross on the head which add to it's appeal. The neck is very smooth with fast action but the neck isn't too skinny. It's just right. The entire guitar is black satin finish which really add to the smoothness of this guitar. My Les came with a Floyd Rose tremolo with locking bolts that I took off. It still stays in tune trough everything without the bolts though. :-D And finally of couse as with all Les Pauls the pickups are two humbuckers with a 3-way selector above the neck and dual volume and tone controls. // 10

Sound: I play in a dark rock band (listen to Serenity by Godsmack and you'll get the idea) and a worship band. So for the dark rock I need a mellow deep rich and full sound which the Les provides extremely well. The humbuckers are Alnico V's which seem to be tuned to provide such a sound. There is practically no noise or feedback unless I use a really cheap cable. (Important tip: Buy Expensive Cables! No matter what guitar you have...a cheap cable will mess up your sound.) Then for worshp I play lead so I need a crisper more acoustic sound. I'm able to tune that in pretty well, but it's always got that dark background to it. If I patch in any EQ though I can tailor the sound to exactly what I need. The guitar does really well lightening fast fingerings and slow and easy stuff. So it's all good. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar came really low with no buzzing. The strings are extremely close to the frets but remarkably it never buzzes. To tell the truth the factory setup was so perfect I never felt the need to adjust it. Though with my Strat I had to adjust it a lot. The finish is perfect but the 12th fret roman numerals are a little thin. Fingerprints pick up on the pickguard like mad so you need to clean it constantly and the black satin picks up white flakes, dust, particles from skin, etc. really easily as well. Besides that it's all perfect. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a great live player. It's just that it's heavy so I need to Switch it around a lot. The guitar seems durible enough to last me enough to give it to my grandchildren. There is a limited lifetime warrentee on the guitar which makes me feel better about having it. It's a completely solid guitar...I just wish the button straps were positioned in a different spot. I need to contantly keep holding the thing up so the neck doesn't slip and start sliding to point at the ground. At first I thought it was just that my strap needed to break in. No...the guitars natural tendency is to hang at your side. :-\ I wouldn't do a whole gig without a backup because of the annoyance of this and the guitar is heavy so I need to build up "special" muscles so this thing doesn't make me feel like a weakling. But non of my guitars can match this sound. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for my style of music. I own another electric, two acoustics, and an Ibanez bass as well. All in all I think this is a severally good guitar. Not great (I'm comparing it to the original Les), but good. The original Les Paul Standard is a wonderful guitar. But this Goth has a much darker deeper sound. I was really glad to get a solid body in this Les because I need some serious sustain. If you need to play dark, mellow, or hard rock...buy this guitar. // 8

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: lemenz70, on october 17, 2005

Purchased from: Metronomie

Features: It's made in 2003. It has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard, 2 Alnico pickups (worth 1/2 the price of this guitar), 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs and a 3-way selector. It's made in japan ans the finish is satin (not great for fingerprints). // 9

Sound: This guitar is 1/4 of the price of a Gibson but feels like a Gibson. I play a lot of styles like blues and metal and this guitar suits me very well. The treble pickup is really good for metal and the rhythm pickup gives almost a blues sound like a Strat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The overall guitar settings when I received it was crap althought it was a breeze to adjust it myself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last forever if you buy strap locks. I used it many times in gigs without backup and I had no problem. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a really good match to mu style of playing and I recommend it. I play it through a Tonelab SE and a crappy Peavey Rage 158 and it sounds like heaven. If it was lost I wouldn't buy another one because I'm saving to buy a Gibson or a Fender but there is no $500 guitar that beats The Epiphone Les Pauls. // 9

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: False_God, on march 19, 2007

Purchased from: Second Hand

Features: This guitar was made in 2003 in Korea (pretty sure becuase all epis are made there). It features a 22 rosewood fretboard which is beautifully finnished. the nech which is mahogany is sanded down for ultimate comfort (would recomend). It has a solid mahogany body for that traditional bassy LP tone minus the weight and the finnish is a satan black (so sexy). It has the traditional Tune-O-Matic bridge but with added Grover tuners, so guaranteed to keep well in tune. It has two humbucker pickups with two tone and two volume. I added a Seymour Duncan Jb in the bridge position because the alnico lacked the edge along with balenced bass and mids, and will be changin the neck pick-up too as it lacks the thick bass for solos that I require. But the alnicos are great stock pick ups for the price of the guitar I must say! I got Schaller strap locks and a nice gig bag with it! Over-all this is one of the ultimate epiphones out their. // 10

Sound: I play everything from blues to melodic death metal and this guitar handles them perfect, If I want blues just change to the neck pup and turn down the master and turn up the pre-amp volume on my Marshall DSL401 and I have a really nice S.R.V sound going, and for heavier stuff just turn down the mids and change to the JB and has a great thrash tone. At high gain their is very little noise if any, ad the Jb gives me a nice rich, crisp sound along with edge! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well I'm not sure how it was when the first owner got it but not it's perfect, action is nice and low, and fret board is like new, I was quite worried getting this due to Gibsons quality check being very poor. But this is perfect! Everything is perfect on it, finnish, hardware, electronics all like new! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm not 100% sure about it's reliability as of yet I haven't played any gigs with it, But I have a good few coming up so time will tell! The hardware of four years seems to be like new (so it seems to be good). I added strap locks just to make sure nothing ever will hapen, can never be too sure like. The finnish seems perfect but finger prints are easily picked out due to satan finnish! // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar suits me to the ground, couldnt have asked for a better guitar for the price! I own this along with a Godin Radiator, Jackson Ke 1 and a Charvel Strat and this is one of my favourite guitars! Theirs nothing I hate about it tbh, maybe the pups, but that's because I have very high standards in pups! I'm compared this to a MIM Strat and this imo kills it. Over all great guitar. // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: StratoSlayer, on april 13, 2007

Purchased from: Allans Music, Melbourne

Features: This guitar was made in Korea, but inspected in America so good quality is guaranteed. It's got 22 frets on an ebony fretboard with no inlays except for a wicked lookin Pearl XII (roman numeral 12) inlay at the 12th fret. it's got a solid mahogany body and neck for nice fat tone with an maple top for some extra bite, very satisfied. It's got a flat black finish which doesn' scrath very easy, but is succeptible to finger prints which are hard to get rid of. It's a Les Paul so it's got a nice warm tone and plenty of bottom end so you can pull of seem really chunky riffs but the maple top lets you solo and cut through everything. It's got the classic Tune-o-Matic & stopbar setup which sounds pretty good and is really easy to restring.(newer models have a liscensed Floyd Rose). It's got a 3 way toggle near the neck and four knobs near the bride (I don't know what 3 of them do). It's got Two Alnico V Magnet humbuckers, which are quite good pickups. It features a set of black Grover Kidneys, they're non-locking but will hold tune for ages. No included accessories, but I'm very impressed plenty of features. // 10

Sound: The sound is really awesome, it fits my styles perfectly (metal and hard rock). The mahogany body really gives a fat tone for those particularly heavy riffs. It even handles cleans well, but it's not built for that. It handles everything I throw at it from RHCP to Necrophagist, this baby does it all, but it really shines in one particular genre METAL. I mean each riff I play on this just has a really deep and full sound, but you can hear every note! That really impressed me because I love my metal I play lots of Pantera, Metallica, Slayer and Maiden and this just blows all my friends' guitar's straight out of the water. But I was the unlucky kid Who got a messed up bridge pickup, oh well the neck pickup sounds fine so I use that. I'm using this guitar with a DigiTech Death Metal and a Begringer GM108 15 watt medelling amp, I'll tell ya I may not have the most expensive or professional rig but when I got this in my hands I might as well have an all tube Marshall fullstack behind me. But the messed up bridge pickup annoys me oh well I probably would have put a Duncan in there anyway(don't worry about messed up bridge pickups it was just my guitar). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up blew my mind it was the lowest, slickest, smothest, fastest action I'd ever felt, but it came with a considerable amount of fret buzz. The pickups were the right height, and everything was flawless except for the messed up bridge pickup. The finish is pretty much bulletproof, but it's a finger print magnet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand Live playing, all the joins on everything are sturdy and it's got good high quality hardware that could survive a nuclear attack. It's got nice sturdy strap buttons that look pretty cool, and finish that aint comin off unless I burn it. I'd definetely gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Man this guitar blew my mind when I first play it and it still blows my mind today. I've been playing for 4 months and don't have the best rig, but this guitar JUST RULES. I wish I checked all the pickups before buying it, but the action was so fast I forgot everything else. If it were stolen I would hunt down whoever stole it and ninja kick 'em in the head. My favorite feature is definetely the action. C'mon I'm pretty sure that the logo on the headstock doesn't mak that much of a difference in tone, if you can't get a Gibson buy an Epiphone Goth today! // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: that_weird_dude, on november 14, 2005

Purchased from: Guitar center

Features: The Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio is one wicked looking guitar. I loved the satin finish and the black hardware is really awesome. It had a mahogany fret board. There were no dots on the fret board but there was roman numeral 12 on the octave I thought that was pretty sweet. It has 2 open coil humbuckers. On the head stock it has a sort of celtic cross that I think goes well with the guitar. // 10

Sound: I love the sound of this guitar. It has a heavy, dark and deep sound. It really fits my style of blues-rock/hard rock. It sounds very rich. I it with a Jay Turser GA-15 DSPR wich is very basic. I think it sounds better clean than with OD. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't been playing that long so I can't tell you if it was all aligned corectly but I can tell you when I first tried it at the store the the nut near the imput fell off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I am in credibly happy with it so far (I've had it for 3 months). I bang it around a lot and it has held up great. It looks like I just bought it. It still sounds great and I feel I'll be playing this for a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play bues rock and hard rock and I love it. It goes great with what I play. My band plays a lot of Black Sabbath covers and it sounds as though it was mean't to play them. If this was ever stolen (and I know a few people who would want one) I would buy a knew one. I played alot of other Les Pauls at the sore and this one sounded the best for its price range but it was a little heavy. I think this is over all a great guitar. // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: B-MAC, on december 19, 2005

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

Features: I own the 2004 model of this guitar. It is in full black matt finish (not shiny at all). All black hardware, featuring two open coil humbuckers standard. The strap locations are on the outer right of the main body, and on the top extrusion of the body above the neck (which is set into the body). Overall, very sturdy construction, though a little weighty, which makes long time playing a little hard on te shoulders, but nothing that detracts from the guitar itself. Very good action, only a few millimeters with clear fretboard but the marking on the 12th fret. There are dots on the upper side of the neck indicating the frets- so you can easily see where you are on the fretboard. My model has an all body and neck in mahogany with a rosewood fretboard. // 8

Sound: I play anywhere from blues to hard rock, and this guitar suits it all. On the neck pickup, it has a very warm tone, and the treble humbucker makes a very strong crunchy sound. I play through a Laney Hardcore MAX 100W head through a Marshall 1960's cab. I have tried this head into a standard Laney 4X12 cab, but I prefer the Marshall as it handles a much wider tone variety with much more ease. Though saying that the Laney cab holds a much stronger clean tone than the Marshall. Through the Laney head, the guitar gives a very solid tone, and picks out a very wide range of frequencies. Even drop tuning to Bb on clean it still holds its ground on full bass EQ. Also on the Switch side, it picks out all the top sounds too. It has a very punchy sound when distorted, and has little to no hissing evenat high volumes. I cranked the amp to 9 volume and 8 gain and stood right in front of the amp and I got all the feedback I wanted, and when I turned round, I got no hums out of the guitar. Absolutely fantastic tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Very solid action, only a few milimetres, givng a very good resonance and sustain, with fret buzzing only when smacked really hard and fast, thouggh only noticable if you looking for it. Overall, very good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played aa great many gigs with this guitar, and it has stood through all of them. I even played a charity gig in front of nearly 7000 people, and it looks brilliant I tell you!. Jumping around on stage for learly 2 hours shredding the hell out of this beast, stage diving- nothing seems to faze it. The strap holders are very strong, and not once did the strap come loose. The hardware stays strong and hasnt moved at all. I wouldn't need a backup with this one as I'm so confident with it. // 9

Overall Impression: This suits me perfectly, and is a bargain for it's price. I recomend it to anyone who like a Les Paul model, thougu it would have been nice to have a slightly glossy finish. Absolutely fab, rock on Epiphone! // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 15, 2009

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I last picked up a guitar in 1989, and I had wanted a Les Paul from the age of 13. The looks and the price of this particular model caught my eye. I originally ordered it from Musician's Friend, but the first one arrived with a cracked neck. MF upgraded me to a brand spanking new model for no extra charge, and paid the shipping both ways! It's got the Les Paul feel, the Les Paul look and the Les Paul sound. Great finish (careful with Standard guitar stands though, the foam rubber will damage the finish) and appointments on this thing. I get all kinds of comments on its menacing good looks. Flat black, dark rosewood fretboard with a Roman numeral XII at the 12th fret, Celtic cross on the headstock and all black chrome hardware. Simple and sexy. // 10

Sound: The sound is the real reason I've always been drawn to Les Pauls, and this one doesn't disappoint at all. It's got sustain for days, and the open coil Alnico V Classic humbuckers really scream - so much so that I've had a pro touring musician offer to trade me a limited edition Mollenhauer LP Master Class for it. Yes. He liked the sound of my $260 guitar so much he was willing to trade it for a $3000 guitar. So do I, to be honest. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Setup from the factory is not the best, as one can imagine. The action and intonation needed some adjustment, and a new set of strings was mandatory. (Solved with a setup and a set of Cryo Blues.) Other than that, the fit and finish is surprisingly free of flaws for a guitar that typically retails for $300-350. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The only gripe I have with the guitar is the tuners. They don't hold tune as well as I'd like, but that's a fairly easy upgrade, and a set of Sperzel locking tuners will make their way onto this axe at some point. In the meantime, it's mainly a studio guitar, while my Mollenhauer SST Klassik and Washburn D10S go to gigs with me. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an incredibly versatile guitar, and honestly worth WAY more than the $300-350 you'd pay for one Brand New. It's honestly more like a $800-1000 guitar, and for rock/blues sounds as good as or better than guitars costing 10 times as much. If you're considering one, you'd be foolish not to buy it. // 9

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 26, 2010

Price paid: A$ 650

Purchased from: Kosmic sound, Perth

Features: This is a brilliant 22 fret, open coiled, badass shred machine, it comes with a rad satin black finish that garners praise from everyone that sees it, the tuners are non locking Grovers which make for smooth tuning that it'll hold for ages, one cool feature mine has is the GT Killpot, which basically means that one of the tone knobs can be pushed in like a button and completely kills the output of the guitar while the button is held down, which is a cool addition that is great when playing RATM songs or just generally messing around with feedback. // 10

Sound: I have a fairly eclectic taste in what I play but this bad boy handles anything I can throw at it better than guitars twice the price, I've played songs by Pink Floyd through to Slipknot and it just never fails, you can get any sound you need to out of it, but like the look of the guitar it's sound has a dark edge to it that gives any tone immeasurable amounts more depth. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was really well set up straight out of the shop, the action is fast and the neck thickness is just right, the guitar feels so good and smooth to play that a complete novice could sound lightyears better practically overnight. The finish is awesome, everyone I know who sees it comments on how good the matte satin black finish looks not to mention the dark rosewood fret board, Celtic cross graphic on the headstock and roman numeral XII on the 12th fret make this guitar terrifyingly beautiful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had this guitar long and am yet to gig with it but it holds up to some pretty brutal jamming better than any other guitar I've played, strap buttons are solid and all the hardware seems as functional and durable as guitars twice this price. // 9

Overall Impression: For this price you simply couldn't ask for a better guitar, I love it and if I ever lost it I'd totally buy another, killer tone and stunning looks all for well under a grand, two thumbs way up Epiphone. // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2011

Price paid: € 239

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I was thinking of buying this LP for quite a long time. Finally, the reasonable pricing of 239 euros made me buy it, though I know, it might have been a hard lesson to learn. I was told from the staff at Thomann's that the G-400 was made in Korea, even though I know Epiphone gets their guitars produced in Korea as well as in Japan or China. It arrived in perfect condition. Nothing very special at all but solid stuff. It features 22 frets, two humbuckers, two volume and two tone controllers and a killswitch. It has no inlays but a "XII" on the 12th fret. Awesome. It was delivered with a 6 meter snake wire and a pack of spare strings. // 10

Sound: Sound: To say it first, I was THAT impressed! I thought, it might be just a Les Paul copy, but it's far far more than that. The sustain is just endless, the massive body delivers a piece of sound that won't stop. Actually, as I am into metal and gothrock, the sound is definately great, if you look for a more bluesy sound, it might disappoint you. That also means that the high tones are not that clear as I use to know it from my other guitars. On the other hand, I would say, as a rythm guitar in my genre -I've never heard a guitar with more pressure from the belly. The sound is best described as very very dark. Pure metal I would name it. Because it just fits perfect into my needs, this is one clear. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was perfect, no adjustments needed. It wasn't tuned anyway, but getting it tuned was no problem at all with those very smooth mechanics. The finish is just awesome with that matte black color and no gimmicks at all! Nothing to complain about. The look and feel was great. The weight might be a bit of a problem, though I am 6"2, it's a very heavy massive guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played it a few times at home, made my family mad with the sound tuned to drop d. I also enjoyed playing gigs with it, Standard tuning as well as drop tuning with .10 strings. At all, it is a very solid piece of an instrument, fun to play, very reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: Caution! This baby eats light. And I mean that literally. Due to the finish, it's just as is would eat up the light beams. Maybe you'll need to see it in action, but trust me, it does. The matte finish might disturb you, but on the other hand, it looks just awesome. Plus, the sound it delivers will blow your audience's minds away. It's quite heavy, it's solid, it won't just lay in your hand, it rules you hand. I enjoy every single note I play with it and really, it made it to my favourite, besides my Jackson RR. I used it to record my "here comes the rain again" cover, for lead and rythm part and it workes awesome. I fyou would like to hear how it sounds like, I'd love to post you the link. // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: FATAROX333, on november 19, 2008

Purchased from: online used

Features: This is a 2007 model made in korea(I know because it has a little sticker on the back that says made in korea). It has 22 frets. Mine is one of the models with just the tune-o-matic stop tailpiece bridge. It has a volume and tone for each pickup which is handy because I can turn off one of the pickups an use the toggle Switch like a killswitch. The tuners are black grovers. // 10

Sound: I like to play any kind of rock, from punk to death metal. In my opinion I couldn't have picked a better guitar for it. It has this really great distortion on both pickups though I prefer the bridge one. You can get amazing natural and artificial harmonics, but again they're better on the bridge pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It has this really cool finish that is nearly impossible to scratch or get fingerprints on. For some reason when I got it you couldn't play any of the higher frets without it buzzing a lot and I had to raise the action all the way up on the high E. But now it's all fixed so I have no more complaints. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is definitely a sturdy guitar and besides the finish being rock hard it's withstood the running into of several walls without even a scratch. The strap button on top came unscrewed a couple times when I first got it but it's now good. They also retain the strap really well. I can really say that I would gig without a backup for this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This is perfect for what I play and I'm glad I bought it. I have another guitar, a First Act ME431, and there is no competition between it and the les paul. The lp easily outstrips it with all of it's features and it's sound. I only wish mine was one of the models with a Floyd Rose on it but that's not much of an issue. If this was lost or stolen I would not rest until I had it back. // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: decamel, on april 09, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Made in 2006, and purchased that same year. This monster has 22 frets, on a Rosewood neck. Body is made of Maple, with a set neck and completely blacked out. As with almost all Les Pauls you get a Standard Tune-0-Matic bridge, and dual humbuckers. No big frills here, just pure Standard Les Paul styling. The only complaint is actually the paint job on them. While it looks great, it also is very hard to keep looking that way. Scratches show quickly, and you're never going to keep it looking clean. Though thankfully that doesn't stop it from playing and sounding good. // 9

Sound: Anyone that has read my reviews knows that I generally play metal most of the time. What you get with this Les Paul is a great metal look, and the ability to play great metal, rock or blues. The sound is deep and full, with a fair amount of weight behind it to give it a nice sustain. Now with that said, you can over distort this guitar. When you do, the overall sound quality goes out the window. Depending on your style this may or may not work for you. I wouldn't say that Grindcore is going to be ideal for this guitar, unless you have very good quality effects/amps. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: By default the stings in the upper areas of the neck are far far to high. You can bring them down with the Tune-O-Matic bridge, but the tolerance for error is small in regards to fret buzz. If you work with it (assuming you do not change the nut) you can find something that will work for you, however that is a matter of patience and time. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is certainly an axe that you can play a gig with, or record with and not worry about it breaking down on you. The paint does chip fairly easily in my experience, but that again is not going to hinder your play. I will not say that this finish will wear easily, but again it does seem to chip far easier then my other guitars. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great guitar for the money. If you're into metal obviously the look is going to be there. However don't let the dark looks fool you, this is not an over powering Goth look. Anyone can easily fit this into the rotation at a show, or at home. If you have the money, sure get a higher level Les Paul but you wont get more bang for the buck there. You'll get prettier colors, and probably some slightly better pickups. Now for the real question. Would I replace this if lost/stolen/burned down in a house fire? Hell yes I would, in fact it would be near the top of my list of things to replace right away! // 9

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 12, 2010

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Local Musician

Features: This guitar was made in 00-02 I believe, made in china I think. I bought it in 04. Its a set mahogany neck and body. Rosewood fretboard. The carved top makes a big difference from epi's other mid-range LPs. The satin black finish is AWESOME! I play with a wrist band on so the area where I rest my arm has slowly been buffed to a nice Shine witch I think makes it look even better. Its the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with grover tuners all done in chrome black. It has two alnico v humbuckers and a 2 tone 2 volume with a three way selector, witch I like since I use a lot of stuttery killswitch type of sounds in my playing. // 9

Sound: I play everything from the beatles to NILE to Racer X(to an extent) and this guitar's distorted tone is sexy, espcially in the treble position. I play it though a Crate Quadradrive 60w with a Vox Wah and the ocassional Boss MT-2 for some super distortion. The pickups are pretty quiet. The clean sound is pretty good as well, not perfect but decent. I rarely use it clean anyway when I'm playing with the band. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: when I bought the guitar the guy had it already set up to a fairly low action, the only issues I have ever had with the hardware was from me messing with it. I have never had to adjust the pickups. The finish is solid, I have given it a few dings and dents through the years but nothing critical. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a rock. I have bashed the headstock of a cymbal stand while playing and it stayed in tune. I'm not sure about the original strap buttons, when I bought it I already had a set of black Schaller strap locks so I have used them since day one. I have played a few house partys with this guitar alone and have only ever had amp problems. I would play this without a back up as long as I had an extra set of strings. // 9

Overall Impression: For the most part I'm playing 80s thrash, and newer heavy metal. It sounds awesome, the note clarity is suprisingly good for its price range. But even the softer stuff I play through this baby sounds great. This was my first axe so have been playing religiously for six years. My other guitars are a peavy Raptor that I got for free and an epi SG Special that I bought for $100 that had a set of EMGs in. (the SG was promptly destroyed) if this guitar was lost or stolen, somone would die. And I would get a new one for sure, unless I had the money for a custom axe of course. // 10

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2010

Features: My Guitar came from a local shop where the owner took the original body off and put an SG body onto it, it still has the original pickups, fretboard and toggle Switch that came with the Les Paul so I figure this would be the best spot for my review. The two humbuckers it comes with are nice, but I'm going to replace them soon for a lighter tone. I love the neck of this guitar it plays well for the money and the roman numerals on the 12th give it a nice dark feeling. I get a little bit of buzz, but it could be easily adjusted if I had the time. // 8

Sound: When I first bought this I was planing on using it for grunge/Alternative/metal. It turned out to be great for metal especially with the Boss ML-2 Metal Core I run it through. However I decided that I want a lighter sound from this and despite my best effects have not found a way to push it to that end of the spectrum. Blues and Metal are all this guitar is good for obviously, but it plays these types amazingly. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Great stepup I didn't have to really adjust much when I bought it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I droped this once on concrete and it cracked after a playing ses with some friends othere than that holds up through all the other shit I hit it with. // 8

Overall Impression: Great Guitar built for metal. Been playing seriously for 2.5 years overall for 5 and I love it. Great guitar for the money. I defently recomend the Boss Metal Core for the distortion through this it'll rock ya. // 9

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: stilt37, on january 25, 2011

Features: Let me beg by saying my ratings are a relation between quality of the guitars vs. price of the guitars. My epi is a 2007 model made in Korea, purchased new in 2008. 22 frets and a smooth mahogany neck with a rosewood fingerboard make this guitar really fun to play. The body is solid mahogany as well. Typical Les Paul setup as far as the tun-o-matic bridge and 2 humbuckers. It did not come with a case/gig bag or any other things when I purchased it. // 7

Sound: The stock pickups sound really nice for the price. The guitar is quite heavy, so the sound it produces is a very deep variety. For metal and distorted blues it does the job very well. I've run it through a few amps in the 3 years I've had it. It sounds great, especially through the Mesa Boogie F-30 I once had. The pickups are a little noisy with high gain. I don't see that as a horrible thing though, in all cases. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was decent from the factory. There's always been a little bit of fret buzz, however. Build quality is remarkable considering this guitar only costed me 300 bucks. The neck is set well, the bridge and controls are mounted perfectly. The satin black finish is attractive, and doesn't show fingerprints much. The paint is rather thin, though. And being black- it shows dust particles a lot. The pots and wiring are sturdy and well soldered, and I have no doubt the electronics will continue to hold up well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've played it live many many times without a backup, and it's been a champ. I keep strap locks on every electric I own, so I can't comment on the original strap buttons. You should have strap locks anyway! It's a tank, and although I would never have to gig without a backup again, I still would if it were necessary for some reason. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of SRV-inspired texas blues, 80s thrash, and alternative rock. This guitar handles all of them relatively well, especially the last two. As far as attaining a bright Fender-style tone: forget it. The guitar is just too heavy and thick to produce much treble. But it sounds so good playing metal, rock, and distorted blues. For the price, this Epi is a bargain, and a good investment for any beginner or an intermediate player who wants a new toy to fool around with. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably explore another guitar, just because I like to try out different gear as much as possible. However, this is the most respectable guitar for under $350. // 9

Goth Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: jeffo46, on may 14, 2013

Features: Mine is a 2004 made in Korea model which has 22 medium jumbo frets and I think, is a 1960's neck design and not the 1950's as some folks have said. It has the Korean made, Grover tuners along with a white Celtic Cross outline on the headstock along with a Roman numeral XII on the 12th fret. There are no inlays on the neck but instead are, dot markers along the side of the neck. The pickups are Epiphone stock Alnico Classic Humbuckers and the electronics include 2 Volume and 2 Tone controls with a 3 way pickup switch. It also has a tune-o-matic bridge and tailpiece which is all in Black along with the Matte Black finish on the guitar. The wood is mahogany which sustains very well. // 10

Sound: I play Blues and Classic Rock and despite it's eerie appearance, this guitar can handle in my opinion, any genre of music besides Heavy Metal which this guitar was obviously designed for. I play this through a DigiTech RP-50 effects processor and a Vintage, USA, made 1989 Peavey Bandit 112 solo series 80 watt combo, which makes for a delightful combination of tone. Even without the RP-50, this guitar sounds great going straight into my amp, although if I put the gain on high, there is some hum which I easily rectified by putting some shielding inside the pickup and control compartments of the guitar. Some folks have complained about the stock alnico pickups being muddy but I don't find any problems with them at all. I have my guitar set up according to Gibson's standards and this baby gives me nothing but tone and sustain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this used in a trade so, it was obvious that the previous owner did not take care of it very well. I did have to do a intonation check and tighten up the Grover tuners. One thing that I did, was to get rid of the stock Epiphone bridge and replace it with a brand new, Graph-Tech NV-2 6 MM locking bridge which vastly improved not only the tuning stability but also added more tone and sustain as well. I did also have to adjust the pickup and string height as well which I did according to Gibson's standards. Other than that, everything else was fine on this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: In the short space of a few months, this has now become my number one go to guitar. The strap buttons on it are very solid and the weight is very comfortable for a Les Paul, which is a relief for somebody of my age (54). I've already have used this at several gigs with my band as the only guitar and it has held up very well with no problems at all. The guys in my band love the sound that this baby puts out and it's very visually appealing as well. This is despite the stock bridge, one well made product. Considering that mine is almost 10 years old, it's held up very well and I can see this lasting a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing 40 years and have never owned a Les Paul, so you could say that, this is my cherry guitar as far as these go. I've been mostly a Fender Strat guy all of that time and am now wondering why I didn't make the move to one of these earlier. If anything happened to this, I would definitely go out and get another one without even thinking about it. To me, these are a great deal for a beginner or somebody on a budget who wants a Les Paul but who doesn't have 2 grand to spend on a Gibson. I love the fact that it doesn't weigh a ton and that it has tone and sustain to it, especially for my music, which is Classic Rock and Blues. I don't see any reason to change anything else on it other than the bridge. This is just one bad ass guitar folks. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ DR-500ME 7 Acoustic Guitars 07/16/2014