Jeff Waters Annihilation-V Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 05/27/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Jeff Waters Annihilation-V
This guitar is a limited edition signature model of Jeff Waters from the band Annihilator. Looks great, plays great. It's a comfortable guitar, the hardware are pretty solid and reliable.
 8.9
 9.4
 8.4
review (1) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Jeff Waters Annihilation-V Reviewed by: efilnikufesin2, on may 27, 2014

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: The guitar was made in 2010 in Korea and is a limited edition signature model of Jeff Waters from the band Annihilator. It has mahogany body and neck with a set-thru construction, 24 frets on a phenolic fretboard, red dot inlays with Red Devil inlay on the 12th fret, Grover tuners, 2 Gibson humbucking pickups, 1 push-pull volume pot and a killswitch (very fun to play with). Mine is finished in annihilator red. It came with tools for truss rod adjustments, a cable and a pair of Epiphone strap locks. // 8

Sound: I'm running the guitar through a Zoom G7.1ut and then into a Marshall MG50DFX (the older one). The obvious music style that this guitar represents is metal. That's what I bought it for anyways. Though, having the ability to split the 2 humbuckers into single-coils, it can do much more than metal. The Gibson humbuckers are very clear, so this guitar can compliment music styles such as blues, rock, punk as well as it does with metal. It has a pretty good sustain and rich sound due to the mahogany body and neck. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was very nice without any flaws and looks much better than it looks in the photos. The guitar's setup was pretty bad once i got it, but after not more than 20 minutes tweeking with the action and the intonation it was ready for playing. Controls, tuners were fitted very nicely and the pickups were adjusted pretty well. The neck's shape is a D-shape Explorer style and it's very comfortable and fast. All in all a great playing and looking guitar! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for about 4 years now, and i had no problem with it so far. I hardly ever need to do any adjustments on it. The strap locks it came with are pretty good and the finish is still flawless to this day. The grover tuners hardly let the guitar out of tune and they are very reliable. I don't really gig but I play with the guitar everyday. I don't think I would need any backup in a gig situation. It's a rock solid guitar made to thrash! // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 8 years now and I can say hands down that it's the perfect match for my music taste (I'm a big Annihilator fan too!). It's a comfortable guitar, the hardware are pretty solid and reliable. I love it to death and if it got stolen I would definitely buy it again. Favorite feature must be the looks of the guitar. It's gorgeous and makes wanna shred it everytime I see it. I've played Ibanez, LTDs, Jacksons and none compares to this beast. Looks great, plays great. I don't need anything more! // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/22/2014