Joe Pass Emperor II Review

8.5
reviews (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Joe Pass Emperor II Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 15, 2007

Purchased from: Veerkamp

Features: The Epiphone Joe Pass Emperor II Electric Guitar features a laminated maple neck and body; solid rosewood bridge; gold tuners and tailpiece; multiple bound body, neck, and peghead. Plus a Joe Pass signature on the guitar's bound simulated tortoiseshell pickguard. Limited lifetime warranty. // 10

Sound: I am currently using a DigiTech RP80 effects unit with my guitar, and trust me, out of the 4 guuitars that I own, this one is the one that sounds the best with that effects unit. I play blues, and rock, most of the songs that I play are by U2, Delirious?, Hillsong Unied and Coldplay. The only thing I do notice is a buzz coming from the bridge sometimes, and it gets annoting (only when it's not plugged in). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is very neat, and one thing I didn't like about th factory settings was the protective plastic under the bridge, which forces you to loosen the strings, and remove the bridge in order to remove the plastic. The action is adjustable, since the bridge can be adjusted (both height and length). // 10

Reliability & Durability: his is one of those 'tars that will last a lifetime. You get the full reliabilty of a Gibson intrument, specially with the Gibson hardware that is installed on it (Gold American pickups). This guitar is reliable and durable. I noticed that the strap buttons did need some tightening, but it was easy to fix (with only a screw driver). // 9

Overall Impression: I play alternative rock and blues, and this guitar is just perfect for my style. I also own a Dean Avalanche, and a Silvertone electric-acoustic. I've been playing for 4 years now, and over time I've been bulding up my repertoire of equipment, which includes an RP80 effects unit, 2 small pedals (stereo mix and delay). Compared to similar guitars (Sheratton, Casino, B.B. King) this has to be the best archtop Epiphone has to offer. It has american made pickups (Gibson) and no other Archtop by Epiphone has that, and it also features all gold hardware. // 10

Joe Pass Emperor II Reviewed by: TheGuitarDude69, on april 13, 2009

Features: I have one from 1992, made in Korea, and it plays amazing. It only has 20 frets wich kinda sucks, but it has good clear pickups(Gibson USA), gold hardware, and an amazing finish. The only thing that could have been better would be a figured maple top. It came with a case. // 9

Sound: I play anything from metal to jazz, and this guitar can play anything that isn't heavy distortion. I use a Behringer UC200 chourus pedal with it, along with a Behringer 15 watt V-Tone. It has a full sound, and my only complaint is the buzz from the bridge when you play without an amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got the guitar used, so I'm not sure if it's factory, or if it was ajusted, but it has good action. The pickups are great. It has no flaws in the finish. It had a bit of a bridge buzz, but that's it. It's a little hard to bend but that's alright. It has a noisy pup selector, and the pups are WAY sensitive. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the guitar for about a day, but since it's a 1992 model, it definetly is reliable over at least 17 years. I wouldn't use a backup with it, because it is good quality. The strap buttons were very solid. The hardware does lose it's color over 17 years, but what do you expect. // 10

Overall Impression: This was a good match for all my styles, except metal, but it's not ment for metal so what do you expect. I have been playing for 4 years, and this is the best guitar I have played. I have an Epiphone SG Special II(sucks), and a Burswood Electric(sucks), and this blew them out of the water.If it was stolen, I would track down the theif and get it back, or save up and get a Gibson ES-335. I copared it to an Ibanez AF75TDG Artcore Hollow Body Electric Guitar, and the Joe Pass model was 100 times better, and it was cheaper than the Ibanez. I just wish it had 22 frets. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014