Joe Perry Boneyard LP Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 04/14/2006 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Joe Perry Boneyard LP
Rock Hall of Fame guitarist Joe Perry brings his personal Aged Tiger finish and Boneyard trademark to a new signature Epiphone model.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.2
reviews (4) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Joe Perry Boneyard LP Reviewed by: Night Revolver, on april 21, 2005

Purchased from: Peter Cooks

Features: It's a faithful recreation of the Gibson version of Joe Perry's trademark 'Boneyard' Les Paul signature model. You'd be surprised how much similarities there is between this Epi model and the real-deal Gibson model. It uses the same Gibson USA made Burstbucker pickups and has Joe Perry's signature printed on the trust-rod cover. The 'Boneyard' logo on the headstock is a real eye-catcher aswell. It has a flames tiger finish on a maple top (apparently it is stained on to the wood) and mahogany neck and body, both in satin black finish. Unlike most Epi grover tuners, this one has classic Gibson-design tuners for of a more authentic look. All hardware is chrome and has a bright, orange-coloured pickup Switch tip. This guitar stands from the crowd from all those mediocre Epiphones we all dreaded. The Koreans truely poured some effort into making this guitar look and feel like the genuine article. // 10

Sound: Expectations of the sound was pretty high since it had US made Gibson Burstbuckers. And it didn't disappoint. The neck pickup has a great creamy, bluesy pickup, perfect for the odd Sweet Child O'Mine riff or some classic bluesy solo. The bridge however, growls and screams at the same time. It has a genuine Joe Perry style sound that I craved for. The sound is very bright on both pickups, slightly differing from other Les Pauls. Unique. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setting is fine and no adjustments needed to be made. No big cosmetic flaws on the guitar apart from a few very very minor mistakes, which I personally fixed without problem. No flaws in the binding and the satin finish was flawless. Very pleasing quality despite the low price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would definitely benefit from straplocks, but apart from that, there ain't no problems why it shouldn't be gigged. Guitars are meant be used in live performance, so why should this be an exception? I have full confidence this will stand from live playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Epiphone may have become an infamous brand, making hardly any impressive guitars at high prices. But this guitar changes that. Believe me, after all those Epiphone's I've tested, I know for sure this an absolute winner. Why go for a petty Epi Standard Les Paul when you can have this gem for a few quid more? // 10

Joe Perry Boneyard LP Reviewed by: TomD03, on august 03, 2004

Purchased from: 53rd Street Music, Red Deer

Features: This is a brand new, 2004 model, Joe Perry Boneyard Les Paul. It is amazing. It didn't come with any accessories, but that's okay, since this guitar has a great sound and feel, that makes up for it. It has 2 humbucking pickups, passive electronics, a beautiful flame top finish, and it just has this sexy vibe to it when you see it. // 10

Sound: This guitar has 2 humbuckers (Gibson burstbuckers II and II) which absolutely scream on distortion, and sound nice and mellow on clean. I've never had any problem with them yet, and this is one of the most versatile guitars I've ever played. As I play everything from jazz to metal, Chili Peppers to Aerosmith, John lee hooker to metallica, it covers it all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set action was very nice, haven't needed to change it yet. All the pickups are in prime positions, the finish is absolutely beautiful, and this is a very very high quality guitar considering it's made in Korea. I would actually be able to compare this guitar to a Gibson Les Paul Studio or Standard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can stand a beating. I've taken it on 4 gigs, and I've never had a problem, and gotten cudos for playing it. I'm really proud of this guitar, and I am probably gonna be gigging with it for years, no backups. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, it's brand new for this year and is probably gonna only be in production for 1-2 years, get it now while you can. You wont regret it, it's an amazing looking, sounding and feeling guitar, very comparable with some mid-grade Gibsons (dare I say high end?) // 10

Joe Perry Boneyard LP Reviewed by: Eddyripdeal, on april 14, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar centre cologne

Features: Made in 2004 in Korea. Solid-top Les Paul model, signature model Joe Perry, 3 way selector, Gibson Burstbucker II + III pickups, Grover tuners. // 8

Sound: I play in a coverband and thus have to cope with all kinds of styles. I use a Hot Rod Deluxe with a Vox Bulldog Distortion. The guitar makes no hum at all on the clean channel and just slightly on the distortion, which is normal I guess. The boneyard has a very smooth and full clean sound and with the selector in the middle you get a strange and wonderfull faselike sound (my favourite). On the distortion the guitar gets wild and does anything you'd expect from a much more expensive guitar. I would not dare to say it sounds like a Gibson, but it's very, very close to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Hardware wasn't set-up at all. I had the impression that they smacked all features on, Korean style. The 3-way selector was loose and broken. These flaws were professionally corrected in the guitarstore and everything was adjusted to my wishes (a good dealer does this without you have to ask for it). The Switch was exchanged. Once adjusted, I was blown away by the result. The Aged tiger finish is breathtakingly beautiful, a real looker (always a matter of taste of course). // 7

Reliability & Durability: Just purchased it, but by the looks of it, it shouldn't be a problem to drag this baby along on stage for quite a while. Never play without a back-up, but I wouldn't be nervous if I forgot my other guitar on a gig. The only thing that might be a problem is the black satin finish on the body's back. I have a feeling that it will wear quickly, only time will tell. The Switch button and the strapbuttons were replaced (Switch because it was broken and the strap buttons for straplocks, the guitar is heavy and better be sure then sorry, be sure to use a strap of at least 6 cm with padding). // 9

Overall Impression: I play since 1980 and have owned several guitars since then. Ibanez, Yamaha, Sunn. The only one left from this stock is my pacifica 604. The Boneyard is a dreammatch for my kind of playing. It suits every style from effectless clean to pure metal. I wasn't really an epiphonefan and started of looking at some Fenders in the same pricerange (Mexican made Telecasters, Highway telecaxster), which were good guitars but missed the looks and the sound of this Epiphone. I love everything about the guitar except it's weight (5kg) which tears on your shoulder after two hours of gigging. Real value for the bucks! I recommand it strongly. To end a word of advise: check the guitar thoroughly before purchase, it has everything, no doubt, but the factoryfinish might be sloppy, look at the details, take your time and if no flaws are found or if they are adjusted, try it again! Take your time to test her and commpare it in the store with guitars of the same range (something you should always do). // 9

Joe Perry Boneyard LP Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 10, 2006

Purchased from: Guitar centre Cologne

Sound: Mainly rockcovers of all kind. The guitars suites all styles easily. Play it on a HRDeluxe with Vox Bulldog Distortion. On the clean channel no noise at all. Light hum on the distortion. Easy to feed-back, just walk towards the amp and it begins screaming (totally under control). Neck pickup screams! Bridge pick-up has a creamy, full sound. Pick-up Switch inthe middle gives a kind of fase-effect, very useful and coolsounding on the clean channel. Don't think I need an other guitar. The pick-ups are Gibson, what else can I say. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a very poor pick-up and action setup at the factory. Everything nedded adjustment. Action, pickups. The 3-way Switch was poorly placed (loose)and of bad quality (was broken in fact). The top finish and bindings were flawless. The guitarshop adjusted everything to my wishes, replaced the Switch and adjusted the pickups. Now it's a "bomb" waiting to put fire to. Be sure to check guitar // 7

Reliability & Durability: Just purchased, time wil tell. Replaced the strap buttons with schaller straplocks (it's a Les Paul nearly 5kg). I trust that she will do her job for several years. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a dreammachine for the bucks I paid. It rocks, screams, sings and whistles, anything you want. If you are looking for an astonishing value for money, this is it. Trust me it won't get any better. Be sure to thouroughly vcheck and play the guitar before purchase. It's Korea made and they tend to be sloppy at the details, nothing a good guitarstore won't fix but nevertheless. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ DR-500ME 7 Acoustic Guitars 07/16/2014