Les Paul Classic Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 04/18/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Classic
The Classic features a slim taper neck and slightly hotter exposed coil pickups than some of the other Les Pauls. These features give the Les Paul Classic a bit more aggressive feel and sound while still retaining the essence of the traditional Les Pauls.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 7.9
reviews (22) pictures (4) 55 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 06, 2005

Purchased from: Marcus Music

Features: Ok, lets start with the basics, this was made in 2004 in Korea (parts made in Nashville USA like all Epiphones). It's 21 standard fret with mahogany all over. It's a metallic finish of the classic Gibson goldtop. Fixed raised bridge with passive electronics. You get the Standard Les Paul 3-way selector and 4 volume/tune controls. Gibson Epiphone humbuckers with their plates removed wich give an added zeal to the classic model I think. It has grover tuners and all the hardware is chrome. I didn't get any deals with it, but I bought a case there and then because I was trading in my Epihone 1958 Fying V Korina. // 6

Sound: When we think of rock and roll we imagine the Les Paul, and this model is spectacular in its rock and roll design. The sustain is incredible and I can hold a harmonic for ages thanks to its thick mahogany. I'm a wannabe Satriani and this guitar is perfect for the solos, had it not been for its thick neck near the bottom where it joins with the body it would be overall excelent. I use my 100watt Marshall waith a dime custom wah, and I pretty much use delay on much of my solos, these humbuckers are truly rock and roll, flip it into rhythm and you also got yourself a screaming blues guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action like on all Epiphone or Gibson copies is amazing, everything fits well (again, apart from its thick neck at the join of the body) always keep an eye on the height of the bridge these fixed ones are diabolical if you are planning on keeping your strings for the long-term, then again itll remind you to change them once and a while! // 8

Reliability & Durability: Very solid guitar, no major bangs to mine yet but I have faith itll keep in one peice if the unspaekable happens, the metallic paint is super durable compared to flametop so dont be afraid to thrash! // 10

Overall Impression: The coolest looking guitar, but quite rare in classic models, so your friends won't have one! Test play it first and if it doesn't sustain as good as youd hoped, try out some others. I've found a fantastic guitar and thaks to its rarity, no one else has one! // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 10, 2006

Purchased from: SweeLee Music Company

Features: Mine is a Les Paul Classic Plus. Bought mine in Singapore. Features are the same of a normal Les Paul, Tune-O-Matic bridge, machine heads says "Grover," but these are the Grovers which the actual company licensed a Korean company to produce machine heads with the name "Grover" too. So don't get tricked. Despite this, strings still do stay in tune pretty well. Mine came with a pickguard which I removed promptly. Body and neck wood is made of Mahogany. Sustain proves it more so. I won't elaborate on the basics of this particular model as other users have already written on it. A note about classic LPs: This model is meant to replicate the sound and feel of a '60s Gibson Les Paul, hence the slightly more Vintage sound and a wider neck width. I love the wide neck width a whole ton. Makes it feel extremely comfortable to play with. The "Plus" at the end of the name of it simply means that it has a better finish than the norm. However this is not as obvious on Epiphones as that of Gibsons. Finish was rather bad, but this will go into the section further down. Given an 8 out of 10 because I would really have loved pickup covers instead of open coil humbuckers. Yea, I could get the covers online, but the trouble of having to order, pay, ship, wax my pickups, attach, blah blah, all the trouble. Pfft. // 8

Sound: Sound is warm and rich. It sounds extremely awesome. It, basically, is the more affordable version of a Gibson Les Paul. This sound, as compared to Standard LPs is alot warmer and more Vintage sounding. I did an A/B (means comparison) between this an my Epiphone Tony Iommi Signature SG and I could hear the difference instantaneously. Notes on the LP was crystal clear. Words alone just cant describe how awesome it sings. Only reason I gave it a 9 out of 10 was because I have heard how a Gibson Les Paul sounds like. Close, very very close, but just not exactly the same. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Feel of the guitar was awesome. Especially with the wider-than-normal neckwidth. Finish, on the other hand, was terrible. The wood on the fretboard showed signs of dryness, with grit between the wood grains. There was some space between the inlays and the wood. Fret buzz was also a major pain in the ass, but I plan to get down to using steel wool to gently file the frets down a bit to rid the buzz. No pickup covers! Paint-job, in my opnion was slip shot. You can see the ends where the paint is actually smudged. But then again, you have to realise that you paid only a minor fraction of what a Gibson Les Paul costs. For this amazing sounding guitar, cosmetic flaws don't really matter so much. This classic LP is practically as good as a custom LP. I love this guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Durability is something I wouldn't be able to comment much on as I just got it yesterday. However as I have owned an Epiphone Iommi Signature SG before, I trust the durability and reliability of it would be awesome. Mine came with a free hardcase so it just helps add to the life spam of the guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Generally play genres of music such as AC/DC, Slash's stuff, Blues etc. I just realised how long this review is becoming. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years. Electric guitar for about 4. Got my Epiphone Iommi Signature SG (this is like the 4th time I'm saying it, cause I love that guitar too haha), Squire 28watt amp, Fender Vintage cables, planet wave cables, Tech 21 wah, Direct Drive Overdrive Pedal). Basically I love everything about this guitar except for its cosmetic flaws and irritating fret buzz. Wide neck is awesome for fretting and bending. Screams like a Demon too. Would rather have coverd humbuckers too. I compared this with a standard LP before I bought it, and I chose it over the other LP cause of the awesome feel. In short, this is a Gibson on a super discount. // 9

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 15, 2005

Purchased from: Daddy's Junky Music

Features: The parts for this guitar were made and designed by Gibson people in Nashville but it was assembled in Korea. It has 21 standard frets and I think pretty much the whole guitar is mahogany. My guitar has a beautiful honeyburst finish and the tradional Les Paul body and Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has two humbuckers with the plates removed. It has passive electronics, 3 way selector and the 2 volume and 2 tone knobs and it has grover tuners. When I bought it it came in a box with an adjustment tool, a cable, and a booklet. // 8

Sound: No matter what you play this guitar through it always sounds amazing. This guitar is suitable for rock, blues, or Indie music. Whether you play lead or rhythm this guitar is sure to please. It has great sustain and plays beautifully through my Peavey amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly. No flaws, except for a slightly noisy pickup selector. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was built to last and I would play this guitar without a backup unless I was concerned I would break a string. // 10

Overall Impression: I dabble in all sorts of music and this guitar can be adapted for any style. I've been playing for 3 years and this has been the best thing I've come across. There is nothing I hate about this guitar. I am absolutely in love with its beautiful finish and warm tones. If this guitar were stolen I would hunt down whoever stole it. If I were forced to buy a new guitar, it would definitely be another Les Paul. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: the_man101, on july 21, 2006

Features: 2006 model made from China. It has 22 frets, rosewood fret board, and mother of pearl trapezoid inlay. Mahogany body and neck, quilt top finish, solid top, alder body. Two open-coil humbuckers, two volume and two tone controls, Tune-O-Matic, and chrome hardware. // 9

Sound: I like to play with a lot of tone and tremble on it. The tone on it is amazing, and sound's terrific. I was up to my expectations, and got the sound that I wanted out of it. One of the biggest things that surprised me how was great distortion on I got on it. It can play think and heavy fuzz and great metal with heavy distortion on it. I wasn't expecting it play that good fuzz. I don't much of a problem with it being noise or having much feed back, although I get a little feed back and noise when I switch to rhythm pickup, but not very much. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have not had any problems with is being poorly made, everything was up to my standards and was pretty close to a Gibson in my opinion. I have played some Gibson's that didn't sound or was put together as well as this guitar is. Also one of the best thing about this guitar is how well the finish on it. I got the transparent blue finish done, and it looks terrific. I couldn't be any happier with any other color in that finish, although looks great in almost any color you get it in. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It sounds great live, and recording, you won't have too much trouble with feed back; it is quiet for the most part. How ever on the rhythm pick up there is more feed back than tremble, but not much, not enough to worry about. One thing I have had a problem with is the strap falls off often. I'm not sure if it is the strap or the strap button, I had a problem with this on my other guitar with the same strap, and it could be the strap. In my experience most straps fall off every so often, some more than others, so it could go either way, strap buttons, or just the strap, you might want to watch out for that when playing live. If I hold the guitar up enough when I play I usually don't have too much of a problem with it. I can depend on it with out a back up ay gigs; it holds it tune very well. // 8

Overall Impression: I like to play a wide range of music, and for the most part it can play every gene I want to play. I personally think it sounds best in the metal, hard rock, rock and roll distortion gene such as AC/DC, Black Sabbath, Nirvana, ect. It can play some blue and ok jazz, but it doesn't play clean too well in my opinion, but it can hold its own, and will due for a live performance/recording. // 9

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: ChaosWerewolf, on may 26, 2007

Features: I have no idea when or where this guitar was made. I do know that it is a beaut and it handles every style of music my band and I play. We play anyhting we want really, we can go from Stray Cats, to The Dead Kennedys, and this guitar handles it perfectly. Standard 22 fret mahogany neck, laminated quilted wineish color. Also Standard tune-o-matic bridge. Everything on this guitar is stock. Once I buy some true blue pedals and drop from the modeling scene, I will probably put an Invador in the bridge. 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way selector switch, makes it fun to play such music as Jordan, and Most stuff from Rage Against The Machine. Grover tuners, Set up and "inspected" in the USA. // 8

Sound: As stated above, I playi huge gammot of style (punk, metal, rockabilly, shockabilly, psychobilly, thrash, alternative) I play this guitar through a Korg AX10G and a SoundTech PA amp. The guitar can be noisy when you need it to, but then it can go to singing like the most beautiful of sirens or demons. Really nasally and puky on the bridge, full and warm in the neck, happy median in the middle. I have made perydactyle screams, mamoth roars, EVH weirdness, and all sorts of things on this guitar and it never ceases to amaze me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was just a hair to high, and I really mean barely too high, nothing a few twists can't fix. The finish is absolutley beautiful a quilted, wine-red top, absolutley sexy. Stays in tune better than my guitar with a Floyd (well, it's a "Licensed" Floyd). // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this guitar once and then I have traveled it from SC to NC and back innumerable times. The one problem, as with most Pauls, is that the strap buttons aren't good enough for the heavieness of the guitar, so I need to invest in some straplocks. I would trust this guitar definatly without a back up, as it has withstood my clumsy self for a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play metal punk, many forms of rockabilly, thrash, stuff like that, and this guitar does it all, even when I explore my bluesy side. If this were lost or stolen, I don't know if I would get this or save up for an Epiphone WildKat. I love the pickups, where the toggle switch is located everything. I do wish it had an Invador or an X2N, but you can't always get what you want. Overall, an amazing guitar. // 9

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2005

Features: My Epi LP Classic what made in China, 2005. It has 22 frets on the rosewood neck with trapezoid fret markers. The body has a really nice mahogany finish with a Heritage sunburst flamed top. There is a 3-way pickup selector, being the treble, both, and rhythm. It has 2 volume controls and 2 tone controls. 2 open coil humbuckers on this beast - the black contrasts nicely with the sunburst finish but it came with a really crappy cable that sucked. // 10

Sound: I like to play hard rock and metal. This guitar is perfect for this style because of the mint hb's. I'm using a Marshall MG30DFX which does well enough but needs a pedal to help it along so I'm getting a new metal zone distortion pedal to give it some kick. It has a rich sound - a distinguished sound. I find that my LP has a different sound from any other guitar I've tried. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything on this guitar is amazing! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take on anything. I know the hardware will last because this is an Epiphone! I don't use the original strap buttons - I upgraded to lock-on strap buttons so my guitar would never fall. I would use this live any day. I haven't had my epi long enough to tell if the finish will wear off but I'm sure it won't any time soon. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock a lot and a lot of rockers use Les Pauls like Slash so I think it's a good match. I've been playing for like 3 months now and I have a Marshall amp, Precision patch cord, and a Levi's Lightning Bolt strap. I wish I'd asked how to clean my guitar before I bought it. If it were stolen I'd get this same guitar again. I love the small shape and easy playability. I don't hate anything about it. My favourite part is te sunburst colour. I compared it to other Epiphones and decided that this would be the best guitar for me to have forever. I wish it had better humbuckers obviously but you get what you pay for and I haven't been playing for long. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: lmao, on december 27, 2005

Features: My Epiphone Les Paul Classic was made in 2005. The parts were made in Gibson's factory in Tennessee, but the guitar was actually assembled in Korea because of lower labor costs. This guitar has 22 frets with a mahogany neck and alder-body. My guitar is a quilt top, and it features a beautiful sunburst paint job. The Les Paul body is a cutaway, these Epiphones are made 100% to the Gibson specifications. The bridge is Tune-O-Matic. There are two alcino classic humbucker-style pickups, one for rythm and one for treble. There is a three-way pickup selector, one for the rhythm pickup, one for the treble pickup, and one for the middle. The only thing included in my shipment was a cable, I had to buy an amp and hardshell case separately. // 10

Sound: I play a wide range of rock music, from emo to punk to hard rock to some acoustic rock songs and I can honestly say there is no style of music that this guitar cannot plays beautifully through my Marshall amp and the effects sound good. I use aan Ibanez Tube Screamer pedal. The only time that the guitar is noisy is on the distortion setting, but what can you expect? The guitar can make bright acoustic sounds, mellow rich tones, or distorted screaming sounds and many more. I love this guitar's tone and that is my favorite feature about it. It is leaps and bounds ahead of my Fender Strat. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on theis guitar can be anything you want it to be, it is always comfortable and easy to play. I can't think of any flaws in the craftsmanship of this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems very reliable and can take a beating, suitable for live playing I would assume. The hardware seems built to last and the strap buttons are solid enough. The guitar is slightly neck heavy but not enough to make a whole lot of difference. I would play it without a backup if I was not afraid I might break a string. The guitar does scratch with my picking style, but once I installed the pickguard this did not seem to be a problem. // 9

Overall Impression: I truly belive this guitar could handle playing any style of music. I have been playing for three years and I own a Fender Mexican Strat. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would definitely buy another one. This is Gibson quality at a price I can afford. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Features: I bought my bright red Les Paul Classic from guitar center during a spring sale in '04. It has a maple top, mahogany body/neck, and a 22 fret rosewood fretboard. It's a quilt top with 2 humbuckers, 3-way tine selector, 2 volume, and 2 tone knobs. // 9

Sound: I play all kinds of music and this guitar has yet to dissappoint me. I usually use a Boss ME-50 pedal and a Crate amp, but I also have a 15 watt Fender amp and the guitar sounds great with any combination of amps with/without the pedal. For some reason my Yamaha sounds better in drop C, I don't know why, it just does. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I rasied the action when I got it because the E and A strings were buzzing when I played the lower frets. Everything else on the guitar was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitly survive life playing, dependent, solid srap buttons, high quality finish. If you take car of this guitar it will still be playable after your dead. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the finish on this guitar, it grabs the attention of the other people around you. I wish it had Burstbrucker pickups like the Gibson's, and I wish it came with a pickguard and the chrome pickup covers (I had to buy those and get them installed). If someon stole this guitar I would hunt them down, if I lost it I would buy another a quickly as I could. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Damagecase Dan, on april 14, 2006

Features: It's A Standard Les Paul with open coil pick ups. I changed out the tuners to Schallers, just a personal preference to have "tulip style." I have the amber quilt top, it's a gorgeous guitar. // 10

Sound: All I can say is I play it through a Marshall MG series. Go out and get the Led Zeppelin BBC sessions CD. Listen to Jimmy Page's sound. That's exactly how this thing sounds. Maybe I just got lucky with the pickups, but for stock Epiphone pickups, it's just brilliant! Playing this thing clean, I can go from Stairway, to Whole Lotta Luv, Dazed And Confused, to Since I've Been Lovin You, unreal! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it used, it was on sale at Guitar Center as soon as I plugged it in I fell in love with it. When I got it home I played it more than my actual Gibson (I traded in my Gibby for another Epiphone). This Epiphone classic is just perfect, it plays great, sounds great. No problems at all. I love to just sit and look at it as well, the quilt top is stunning! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had one minor problem, the selector Switch is causing some noise, common to Epiphones. Once I get it replaced, there's nothing wrong with this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic and southern rock. I love to play Zeppelin on it, I can get so many sounds like Page on this thing, it's unreal. I'd be broken hearted if anything ever happened to this guitar. I don't think it could be replaced, there's just something special about it. I'd recommend this guitar to anyone who's looking for a Les Paul and wants to save a bundle. All the sounds and playability of the Gibson brand at a great price. Epiphone has really stepped up in the past few years. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: tobythechimp, on june 06, 2006

Purchased from: Aireguitars

Features: This is a brand spanking new 2006 Les Paul Classic made in Korea with the usual 22 frets. It has quite a slimeline neck for a Gibson (Epiphone) and I'm pretty sure the Epi LP Classic boasts a slimmer kneck than the other LP's which is good becuase I am used to playing an Ibanez with a Wizard II neck! It is in the beautiful goldtop colour (metallic gold) and is made from mahogany. Of course it has the usual Tune-O-Matic bridge which I have no problems with. It comes with the stock Epiphone pickups which I had heard are naff however these on mine sound ok! I may upgrade them at a later date though. It has four knobs that control the tone (I still havent figured out why there is four, and two seem to control volume). There is also the regular Gibson style pickup selector which looks nice, however I usually knock it by accident and change pickups! This is just me though and I have got used to rejigging my hand position. I was surprised when I looked at the tuners and noticed that they are Grover which was a nice surprise! // 9

Sound: This guitar fits my style perfectly. It is versatle which is why I got it. You can go from screaming pinch harmonics to nice subtle bluesy tones easily which I like. I am driving this through my Dunlop Crybabay wah, DigiTech Badmonkey overdrive, graphics equalizer and into my Line 6 Spider (I know a lot of you don't like Line 6, but I do, so no harsh opinions please) and it sounds ace. I really cant fault it, I love it. There is absolutly no noise coming from this even without the GQ, like I said befor I have no problems with the stock pickups! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up wasn't that great for me as the action was too high but that was nothing that a flat edge screwdriver couldnt fix. Everything else was fine, no problems. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was bought as a backup for my Ibanez. As I thought if I snap a string live I'm screwed as I cant re-string a Floyd Rose mid song. So I purposly bought a HardTail guitar that would be a good fill in and it looks and feels like it wouldnt let me down. It is really sturdy but a bit heavy so if your getting one start your bench presses now. The hardware is great so far, I have heard that the saddles can break easily though but I will have to wait and see. The strap buttons are solid enough, I might get some locks for them (just incase). Like I said this is my backup guitar but I would use this in a gig without hesitation and yes I would depend on it. The finish is much like my Ibanez finish, sort of sparkly and I think its like that so that scratches dont show up however correct me if I'm wrong. // 10

Overall Impression: I play any sort of music really, from metal to blues and back again and this guitar is versatile, hence me buying it. There was no point forking out for an ESP with EMG's if I was going to play blues was there? I have been playing for around 4 years now and this guitar suits my needs perfectly it fits in niceley with my pedals and hopefully it will fit with my Marshall stack when I get it! If it were stolen or lost I would chase the guy down get my guitar back and then rip out the strings and poke him in the eyes with them (ok that's a little harsh). But I wouldn't replace it with anything else. What I love about this guitar is that its just so great for what I play and it plays so smoothly. What I hate about it is the fact that I bought it off the internet. I prefer buying through shops, but I tried one in a shop and then saved 100 gbp on it by purchasing it online. My favoraite feature is the phat mahogany tone that it delivers. Beautiful! I did compare it with a standard and with a Flying V but this won overall as I felt that the pickups were better! // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 10, 2006

Features: 2004 Korean Made Epiphone Les Paul Classic with 22 fret rosewood fretboard goes perfecly with the beautifu l cherry sunburst flametop finish. standard 3 was toggle Switch and 2 volume 2 tone control knobs on this single cut-a-way guitar with 2 open coil humbucker pickups can scream and it stays in tune well with its 14:1 rotomatic grover tuners. The neck is slim taper of the '60s and is modeled after the Gibson Les Paul Classic. // 9

Sound: This guitar is amazingly versatile and suits any style/genre of music you can think of. It has a great sound even with the stock pickups. It can go from a screaming metal guitar to a deep bluesy guitar with a flick of your toggle switch. Sounds amazing through a Marshall amp and goes loud and has many different tones to it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first picked up this guitar I was amazed at how good it looked and how well it was put together. The action was nice and low and it was almost perfctly intonated. The pickups were at a good height (treble was a bit high) and the wood grain and finish was simply stunning. There were only a couple minor flaws that I could and see today which were loose tuner brushings and the strap button comes loose every once and a while, but that was quickly solved with some toothpicks. Overall strong and reliable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is strong, well put together and can take rough abuse if you dont hammer her too hard. The hardware is good and you can gig on it night after night. It will last a long time if you treat it properly, but put strap locks on with some toothpicks put in the holes to strengthen so they dont come out while playing. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this is an amazing guitar for 3 times less then a Gibson. It is great for all typers of music and compared to my Ibanez it is alot better even though the Ibanez was 700 bucks. I don't regret buying this guitar even though I would rather have a Gibson if you can't afford it this is the next best thing. I would definitely buy this guitar again and even though it is almost half the price of an Epi LP ustom it is 10 times better. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Sweet Les Paul, on august 24, 2006

Purchased from: Key Music

Features: I bought my guitar in 2006 it just came in the shop so I guess it was made not far from this date. It has a 22 frets 24.75" scale and a rosewood board. De body is van Mahogany and elder and the neck is made of mahogany. It has a great Tune-O-Matic bridge and 2 passive open humbuckers, witch are controlled by 4 knobs (tone and volume for both humbuckers) and a three way switch. There are Grover tuners who are very good and you can easily play a few days before you have to tune again. But the only thing you get with this guitar is a cable! // 9

Sound: I can say one thing about this guitar if you buy it, buy new pickups soon. The sound is great but with new pick-ups you almost don't hear a different with a real Gibson. I play on a Marshall MG 100HDFX with a few effects and this guitar is my baby, I put Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico Pro II inside of it but even without the it would still sound perfect it is just a perfect guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was rubbish when I bought it every where the strings could reach the board they did, but just five minutes of your time to check the bridge, pickups and new strings and it plays like a little wonder. The frets a a little rough but if you play a time it will be okay and they are very smooth now on my guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It can easily be used on stage I will risk my life for it, but you should buy strap locks because otherwise the guitar will fall off. The finish is very good if you tread your guitar well it can last for your life! On my other guitar my strings lasted at 2 months and on my les paul they sound good for atleast 3 months (I replace them as soon as they dosn't sound perfect so I think it can go on for at least 9 months). // 10

Overall Impression: I play Guns N' Roses and this guitar is realy perfect for me, I play around the four years now and I started with a Stagg les paul on a Marshall MG10 until the Stagg fell from the straps and the pickups, bridge, plug jack and tuners where damaged. I repaired it but it never played like before. Then I bought I Fender Stratocaster Mexico what was a good guitar but not for my style so I bought not much later my Epiphone Les Paul Classic who is now my little baby! // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: mikehislop, on april 23, 2007

Features: 1st off I want to say I never owned this guitar I just had it loaned to me while I sold 1 guitar and needed more money for a new one. There were 22 uneven frets that felt nothing like they should have. The look was good and many people pick this over the Austin only because of the les paul name. The wood on the neck was rosewood and I'm not really sure on the rest except that it wouldn't stay in tune. // 5

Sound: It was very noisy and the humbuckers wernt near any other ones I've heard. It can make a lot of sounds but not that powerful or without much "meat" to back up the noise. I was using many amps and there wasn't much dif. between a Crate and a Marshall telling me it was really a cheap guitar. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: It looked really good but it was very flawed. It was ajusted ok but I tweeked it. The guitar had some runny paint on it which took away from it's looks (factory defect) otherwise it was over all a little cheap. I hear this all the time "this guitar is like Fenders Squier, it's a cheap guitar for 1st timers." // 3

Reliability & Durability: It seemed solid but was a little light telling me that it wasn't that expensive to manufacture because of less wood. I would have a gig backup incase it got massivly out of tune with bends and slides. The finish seems ok and doesnt't seem to rub off easily. I guess if you can get a deal on it as a practice guitar it's fine but if you want to be serious I wouldn't buy it, save up for a better guitar. // 4

Overall Impression: For rock it's ok like most guitars but otherwise I wouldn't recomend it though if you are an advanced player that has more than 8 months of experience. If it were stolen I would go Fender or real Gibson Les Paul. I hate how the guitar wasn't set up right so it kind of turned me off Gibson for a while. The frets were uneven and paint was runny. I wish it had more power and better action also maby some better tuners. // 2

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: fwcguitarist37, on may 07, 2007

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Made in 2006 in China. 22 jumbo frets on an ebony fretboard. Solid quilted maple top. Transparent Blue Finsh. Les Paul body shape. Passive electronics, two humbuckers, neck and bridge with three way Switch. Two volume and two tone controls. Overall a well made guitar, with minor appointments. // 8

Sound: This guitar pretty much suits my style (alternative to classic rock), especially using the bridge pickup. I was disappointed at the sound of the neck pickup. It can get pretty loud, but I use a Peavey Valveking Head on a Marshall 1960 Cabinet. It doesn't have a wide range of tones, but I don't usually mess with those. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well set up from the factory, needed a string change. The pickups worked fine. The top isn't bookmatched, a disappointment, and there were a few scratches, dents and imperfections in the finish. I did however have trouble checking the pickup wiring from the back, as the screws and plate did not want to come out. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Plays Live very well, the strap buttons have yet to pop out. The hardware shows no wear or tear from band practice or the few gigs I've done. The finish has stood up to that wear and tear, and will seemingly last. I would still have gig backup though. Maybe over time the hardware would deteriorate, and the frets are probably going to wear down, but until then it will work great. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar pretty much matches my style of music, especially the power chords. If it got stolen or lost, I'd really try to get it back or get another one. My favorite thing is defintely the finish and the quilted maple top. Compared to the ESP LTD model much like it, I would choose htis one. Overall, a good guitar for the money. // 8

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: which ones pink, on september 05, 2007

Features: This is an '05 or '06 not sure which, made in China Epiphone Les Paul Classic. It has a solid Mahogany body, with a beautiful quilted maple top, and a transparent black finish. The set neck is Mahogany, with a bound rosewood fingerboard, 22 medium frets, and abalone trapezoid inlays. It has the Standard Les Paul setup of two humbuckers, two tone and two volume controls, three-way pickup selector, and Tune-O-Matic bridge with stoptail. The tuners are Grover sealed. // 8

Sound: The sound is just what you'd expect from a Les Paul-warm, thick, and with a boatload of sustain-but with one caveat: the pickups. The pickups are Epi stock Alnicos, and, to be frank, they sound like crap; not very high output, yet not Vintage sounding either, they're more just. But even with those limitations, this is a fairly versatile guitar. I play this through a DigiTech Bad Monkey OD into a Sunn T50C all-tube combo. On the clean channel with the neck pickup I can get a nice, bassy, RHCP-like clean tone, while the distortion channel with the gain at it's lowest is very reminiscent of SRV. I can get some good chugga-chugga metal rhythm on the neck pickup, but it still doesn't have enough output, and is far too loose for leads (the Bad Monkey helps with this somewhat). // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, the neck looked like a strung longbow, with action to match. The pickups were much too far away from the strings as well. The intonation was off, but not by much. After a simple action, intonation, and truss rod adjustment, this guitar now plays fairly nice, with only one hitch: If I bend the high E string at the 18th fret, it frets out. There was nothing wrong with the finish, apart from a tiny, invisible-except-in-sunlight ding on the top at the end of the cutaway. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily withstand Live playing (it's probably thick enough to stop bullets), and all the hardware is solid. Strangely, the stock strap buttons are rock solid, when you consider that even high-end guitars often have loose ones. The finish is tough as well (it has the Standard belt rash and pick scratches, but that's normal). I would never gig with it without a backup, as that's a stupid thing to do with any guitar, and not because I feel that it will crap out on me. There is one exception to this though; lately, the bridge pickup, the one I use the most, has been randomly cutting in volume when I Switch to it. If I Switch to the neck and then back, it usually fixes it, but this is yet another problem with Epiphone pickups. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm mostly a shred/power metal guy, but I was a total noob when I got this, and was more into classic rock. I bought it because it was a Les Paul, and I though all Les Pauls were automatically cool (and also because my friend got one). This would probably match my style better if it had good pickups, but I still wish I had gotten an Ibanez (an S520 will be my next guitar). I really love the thick, sustainful LP sound, but again, better pickups would enhance this oh so much more. But that awesome tone comes with a price; this guitar is obscenely heavy (upwards of 10 pounds), and kills my back and neck if I play standing for more than a half hour. Something I wish it had was body contours. I can never get my hand into a good picking position, whether standing or sitting. If this guitar was stolen, I would not buy another one, there are much better guitars for the price than this one. // 7

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Gibsonboywonder, on january 21, 2008

Sound: I play todays rock for the most part and this guitar does it's job by tenfold. I'm running it into a 74 Fender Bassman 70 (all-tube head) and Marshall 1960A cab. I'm not really into much effects. I do use a crybaby and DigiTech Grunge pedal. When I got the guitar I noticed some hum when I would remove my hands from the strings. I figured nothing a ground job can't fix. As for the stock pickups they were decent. I really enjoyed the neck pickup. It woulds really warm and smooth. The bridge pickup was ok, but not the crunch I knew a les paul to have. I replaced the Pickups with matching Gibson 57's and what a difference! I would give the sound a 9 with new pickups but I'm just going to review this as stock. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I first got it was really not bad at all. I like a low profile setting and low action. I lent the guitar to my friend to be set up he's a guitar tech for a local band out here in Pa. Got the thing back and it play as good as a Gibson. On to the tuners prolly the worst part about this guitar! It would not hold tune for it's life. I would play one song and it would be flat by the end of it. I replaced them with Gibson modern tuners. It has yet to go out of tune. I only have to tune like every 3 days now. After the setup and new tuners I would give this a 10 but once again I'm rating it as stock. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played many shows with this as my only guitar.It has taken the abuse of the road. As for the finish it's very nice. This is the only difference I see that seperates a Gibson from an Epi. The finish is a little thin. I would advise a hardshell case, but that's a no brainer with any kind of finished guitar you buy. The strap buttons are great but I prefer strap locks. The stock bridge and tail piece are cheap, I would break strings on a every day basis. I replaced them with Graphtec replacement parts. It helped the sustain even more and I never break a string now. After the strap locks and bridge/tail piece replacement I give it a solid 9 but I'm rating as stock. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar works for me amazingly! I've been playing for about 6 years. The neck on this thing would prolly be my favorite feature. I think this guitar is as good if not better than any Gibson Les Paul Classic/Standard on the market today (after modifications). The guitar plays great and sounds great! You can prolly get this same quality from Gibson for thousands more. I spend about a total of 900 bucks and I could never be happier. If it were to be lost or stolen I'd most deff get another. I rate this a 9.5 overall after modifications but I'm rating it as stock! Watch out Gibson, Epi is comin back in a big way. // 8

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: thedefrockednun, on august 11, 2008

Price paid: € 560

Purchased from: Codahangszer

Features: The "Neck" was made in China and the "Body" in Europe. It has 22 frets, the neck is made of mahogany and so is the body. The Body style is the typical Les Paul style, it's black and is made to look like a woman and it has a string-thru body, it has 4 nobs, 2 for vollume, one of them for the high strings and the other for the low strings, there are 2 other nobs for regulating the bass and treble, there is also a Switch that has three settings going from treble to rhythm, it has 4 Epiphone pickups. // 8

Sound: I play, rock, metal, acoustic and blues, this guitar is perfect for blues, rock, and acoustic, I mstly use an Epiphone Firebird to play metal and hard rock. I usually don't use an effect because it has quite a nice sound without effects, I use a 75w amp. The guitar has a big variety of sounds, it goes from high to low and even blues/jazz effects. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar was well built at the factory, everything was well put together, the bridge, frets, nobs and pickups are all well done, the guitar didn't need servicing, the guitar only has one flaw and that is the weight, it's extremely heavy (5 Kg) for a guitar, but it doesn't bother me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can be played at very high volumes, with any effect, it could easily withstand any live playing (proof would be the band, My Chemical Romance who uses 2 of these guitars), the hardware is good, I've had the guitar for over 2 years and it works as well as it did on the day I bought it, it so far hasn't needed servicing or fixing. The finish is very strong and lasting, the colour hasn't faded at all. The quality of the guitar is great, about 2 weeks after I bought it, my guitar case broke and tje guitar slammed hard on to the concret into a puddle, there was no dammage to it at all apart from sum scratches and chips on the edge. // 9

Overall Impression: I play rock, metal, acoustic and blues and many other styles with my band, this guitar espeacially good for soloing, imporvising, playing blues and acoustic, it ishowever my second favourite guitar because I have an Epiphone Firebird that is slightly better for the genres I play most (hard rock and metal), if I lost the guitar I would buy it back, the Epiphone Les Paul is great for people Who have a budget, it is up to 6 times cheaper than a Gibson Les Paul but the Gibson isn't 6 times better, the big difference between the Gibson and the Epiphone Les paul is that the Gibson has much better pickups but unless you use an amp with over 250w you cannot tell much of a difference. // 9

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: fastlanestoner, on may 20, 2010

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend

Features: This is a Standard Les Paul in terms of features. 22 frets, open-coil humbuckers, solid Grover tuners, overall excellent build quality. The body is mahogany with a quilted maple top, the neck is rosewood, and set to the body. The tuning and intonation are great, but the G string is a bit bothersome. You have to tune a little flat to compensate but that's a minor issue. The Grover tuners could be better and any big bends result in the string going flat but not by much. Better than most at this price range but could be improved. This is a great guitar to rock out with and sounds Stellar through pretty much any amp. Many more pros than cons, it is a steal of a mid-line guitar. // 7

Sound: This guitar is perfect for my style. I play rock/alternative stuff that runs the gamut from very heavy to very clean. This guitar can handle all aspects pretty well. It is a very solid body so it is better geared for heavier stuff but can handle both with great efficiency. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where this guitar really shines. The factory setup was actually very good and required little adjustment to my preferences. The action was as low as can be without buzzing. The pickups, while set to a very even position sounded great. The neck pickup was a little boomy and hollow but that was a result of my amp situation. The only flaw is the G string, which is strangely sharp even when tuned to perfect pitch. I've had this problem on a lot of guitars and no amount of setup can remedy it. I just tune a little flat to compensate. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a literal tank. I've played it at countless shows, jumped around with it, swung it, abused it in every way and it keeps coming back for more. I baby it off stage and use it as a weapon on stage and it has never let me down. It is very consistent in sound and it takes a lot to knock it out of tune. // 10

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar on the internet before even touching it. I got a very solid deal. It is a beast in terms of playability and tone but it is very heavy in the body, and the tuning problem with the G string is a nuisance if nothing else. It is well made and can take a beating. You can be pretty versatile with it musically, but it is through and through a Les Paul so it is best suited for hard rock, alternative inclined music. // 8

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: NegusPlease, on november 04, 2010

Features: This guitar has a quilted maple finish with a maple body with a Les Paul shape with a solid top. The accessories that the guitar came with were a gig bag, strap, strings, and a cable. This guitar has 22 frets with 4 knobs. 2 for volume, and 2 for tone. The features of this guitar are great for a begginer and an expert alike. // 8

Sound: This is a great guitar I play one myself and it fits me perfectly. Its more for those into classic rock that has less distortion but it can still play some metal. It has a beautiful sound and it plays easily. It has a great range of sound, exactly what you would expect from a well made guitar. Great guitar! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It is a very well made guitar and the action is perfect. I can't find any flaws and it is practically the same as a Gibson. The only difference is the name on the guitar. The wood is very good quality and I couldn't ask for anything better. The pickups in this case are adjusted just right. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The finish on the guitar was flawless, and I've had mine for a good number of years and it's just as good as it was the first day I got it. I bought my guitar used and it was in great condition without a scratch from its previous two users, and it has held up for me as long as I have had it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play classic 70's and 80's rock so this guitar is the best. It works well for songs with a lot of treble and such. In any case, this guitar fits well for many ranges of music, and any user will be satisfied with the wondrful sound, wormanship, beauty and overall appeal of this great guitar. // 8

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: AJScott, on february 16, 2011

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: I believe it was made in Korea in 2005, it has a mahogany body with 22 frets. It has a rather fat neck, but not as fat as some guitars. It has a classic sunburst finish, which is, when you think of a Les Paul what you expect to see. It has a single cutaway to get at the high frets, although it's not the most comfortable and hitting the highest notes is not as easy on say a Strat. It has a Tune-O-Matic Bridge which does a pretty good job of keeping the guitar in town, however I find that if I downtune the whole guitar it does struggle to keep in tune. It comes with 2 passive Alnico humbuckers which do a pretty good job. As with most Les Pauls, it comes with the 3 way selector Switch and 2 volume and 2 tone control knobs. // 7

Sound: I play a lot of contemporary rock, classic rock, metal and indie. I would say this is a pretty balanced guitar, it excells when you use distortion, however I would not say it does heavy metal well, it just doesn't produce that kind of heavy metal tone that you could expect of an Ibanez or an ESP in the same price range. However Switch it to clean and I find this guitar does very twangy (high treble settings) well and very warm (high mid settings)incredy well, and not much inbetween. You can play a lot of indie/blues music with this guitar and it does it very well as it gives out lovely soft tones. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I like my action fairly low and my pickups fairly high. I had to adjust the pickup height myself, everyone likes their setup slightly different, but apart from that the action on the guitar was excellent. Epiphone are sometimes known for dodgy electronics, even while I was playing an Epiphone Les Paul Custom in the store it broke as one of the pickups just decided to stop responding, however with this imparticular guitar I can say it's flawless. The wood is well cut, the pickup selector isn't loose and isn't about to fall off, I found no scuffs or marks on the body so overall, it couldn't of been any better in this department. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's a very solid guitar, with a decent weight to it. I fitted some renegade strap locks and I was ready to gig with it, and it hasn't disappointed since. I'm not exactly throwing my guitar over my hard but it has taken a bit of a beating and it stood up fairly well. However back to the tuning issue, a couple songs in our bands setlist require down tuning and between every song I would constantly check the tuning and it did slip slightly. The hardware seems solid to last a few years and after a few months of playing this every day for a few hours the finish doesn't seem to be going anywhere. If it came to it I could depend on this without a backup but I always keep a Strat in the back, you never know what could go wrong. // 7

Overall Impression: I went for a Les Paul because it suits my playing style well, however when my bands tried to cover heavy metal such as Avenged Sevenfold or Bullet, it can't stand up to the rythm guitarists Ibanez. However, bring it down to play Led Zep, Guns n Roses or Indie and blues and it will do you justice. I've been playing around 3 years, my other main guitar is a Fender Strat so I decided to get a Les Paul, obviously it doesn't match the Gibson Les Pauls, but it comes very close. If it were stolen i'd say i'd save up for the real deal and get a Gibson. I love the warm tones this guitar can give out when playing clean and that's the main reason I bought it. Over all, for the price an excellent guitar with a few minor drawbacks but nothing that should stop you buying it if you're wanting a Les Paul. // 7

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 04, 2011

Price paid: A$ 900

Purchased from: Mega Music

Features: I got mine in 2006, I assume it was built around the same time, made in China, with the usual Les Paul fruit on it. It's a dual humbucker version with uncovered pickups. It came with grover tuners as opposed to the Gibson ones on the Gibson version of the same guitar. Mine also came with a hard case, but it was a deal that came with the place it bought it. I'm pretty sure we all know what les pauls come with right? // 7

Sound: I play anything from jazz to pop, blues and metal, so I need something with a fairly versatile sound, and despite the limited array of pickup/tone configurations, I find the tonal range of this guitar very usable. I normally play through a 100w Marshall valvestate amp, and the combination works very well for blues music, particularly one the neck pickup. I find the Bridge pickup is a little harsh, but is very good at cutitng through a mix. In terms of noise, they are very good. For the price of the guitar, it certainly sounds very good. That said, the reasonable cost of getting upgraded pickups means I would gladly invest in a Burstbucker or an Ol 57. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well from factory, I haven't had to do a lot to set it to my style of playing. I typically use 11 gauge strings so I need a slightly higher action than most lead guitarists use. Most players I know would lower the action a bit from what it came as. Aside from that, the colour and binding is well applied, the neck is well set up (although a satin finish on the neck would be more comfortable, acommon complaint among les pauls) and overall it is a very well put togther guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I gig with this guitar every couple of weeks, and while I look after my equipment, it has not let me down in a live situation. That said, The only problem I have had with reliability, has come from poorly earthed electrics. This, I have heard, is a common complaint among Epiphone guitars, and has otherwise dented a flawless record with this guitar. That said, it was an easy issue to fix and it has since held up perfectly. I do gig it without a backup and it hasn't let me down yet. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar suits a range of music and playing styles, but it does take a bit of work to get the range of tones that it has on offer. It is also a very heavy beast, so a good, wide strap is a must. I've been playing for over 15 years and I have played a range of very nice guitars, including high end strats, Ibanez's and also some very high-end classical instruments and this guitar stands up well and will remain a stalwart of my line-up. I don't ever intend to sell it and if I were to lose it or it were stolen, I would definitely get it replaced (though I would be very sad, given the sentimental value I attach to it) Highly recommended guitar for anyone wanting a solid, reliable machine that can kick it with the big boys. // 9

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: prmirage, on april 18, 2012

Purchased from: Jason C. (Owner B.Bizz Rec Studio)

Features: From what I have discovered, this model was made only 1 year - 2006. It's not even listed on Epiphone website in the "discontinued" area which is strange so depending on how many were mfg'd, I'd say it's rather rare. I'm not saying that makes it a collectors item but it's limited "production" as it were forces it into the rare category nonetheless. There are similar models but not this one exactly. I pieced together the specs from other sources but I'm sure they are accurate. - Translucent Black Quilt Top finish (amazing!) - Mahogany body and neck - Chrome hardware - 24-3/4" scale length - 22 Frets - Carved quilted maple top - Ships with pickguard unattached for pristine finish option - Rosewood fretboard - Trapezoid inlays - Body and neck binding - Open coil Alnico Classic & Alnico HOT Humbucker pickups - Bridge Pickup - Black Open Coil HOTHB8B, 13.5K - Neck Pickup - Black Open Coil HB6N, 8.3K - 1.68" nut I gave this section a 10 for the finish alone. It is quite something to see. I have seen many other Epi's at GC and online and they are beaut's to be sure but this one is in a class of it's own. Appearance is opinionated so everyone has their preference - this happens to be mine. // 10

Sound: Let me start by saying that I am not an electric guitar aficionado. I have been all my "playing" life a straight acoustic guy. So take this review for what it's worth. I am only two days into playing my new toy and have spent about 6 hours doing so. Playing this amazing instrument is captivating. Maybe because its my first "official" electric (I had a Fender Strat years ago but it went neglected and then sold) but I have played others and they did not hold my interest like this one. I play mostly 60-70's classic rock although I do dabble in other genre's. This beast suites this style perfectly; however, getting it to play metal is a matter of tweaking the knobs a bit and setting my amp and away I go. I am using a Line 6 IV 15 which suites me just fine since I don't play gigs anyway. I have access to a Marshall stack but haven't plugged this puppy into it yet. It can be a bit noisy (hissing) when trying to play in "metal mode" but my Line 6 has a noise gate that when turned on I get silence other than my playing. "Betty" (the previous owner named her so I'm sticking with it) still has her stock pickups which I attribute to the noise at this point. In the future I may spring for some newer ones but not until I work these out good. I'm rating this section an 8 only because of the noise and no guitar is perfect. I don't play metal much so it isn't a factor. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I mentioned, this guitar was owned by a musician and a good one so he had dialed it in sweetly. The action is like sliding your fingers across greased glass it so smooth! Hitting even the toughest chords is a breeze and requires almost no finger pressure at all. 3 hours of solid playing and my wrist and fingers didn't hurt at all which is saying something since I have a little carpal going on in my fret hand. I heard complaints about the weight of this model. Right now I have a very cheap strap so I did feel it's weight more so but a good strap should counter the effects of prolonged standing and playing. Other than that it fits well and is comfortable even sitting and playing which I am in the habit of doing as an acoustic player. The finish... Aahhh the finish. I have a pic of it in my profile area but it simply does not do it justice. It is really and truly a great finish. The previous owner did not put the pick guard on which I was happy about. It would only take a way from the beauty of the craftsmanship that went into this finish. I have a group of guys I play with every other weekend and can't wait to show it off. The only flaw, and I wouldn't even point it out it's so minimal, is a very small "dent" if you will on the bottom edge of the guitar. One would never see it but as I inspected her closely when I bought her I noticed it. It was so insignificant that I didn't make a big deal and don't care. Controls are tight, nothing lose and even the selector switch has withstood the test of time. I'm giving this section a 9 because "Betty" was very well taken care of and put together very very nicely. The quality that went into it speaks volumes about it's durability and longevity. Mine was pieced together in Korea and QA'd in the USA. The stickers are still on the back of the head which I thought was cool given it's age. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't comment on "Betty's" reliability as I haven't been playing her long enough yet. I did ask the previous owner about it though and he said she was the most reliable guitar he's ever owned. Stayed in tune for months is what he said so I take him at his word. Let's put it this way, she still has all her stock parts and they work great so that's worth something. Durability wise, as much as she's been played, her age, and amazingly pristine condition, I would say "Betty" gets a 9 in this section as well. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play mostly classic rock (60's - 70's) and "Betty" seems to have been born for it. I've been playing since I was 15 and I'm 42 now. I wish I played as good as the years would dictate but life had other plans and I have been told I play well so I'm happy they are happy. I also own an Epiphone PR-200D acoustic which I have babied and absolutely love. I asked all the questions I needed about this Epi and all I needed to do was hear her played to know I wanted her. I love everything about this model so far. At this point, if someone stole "Betty" I would seriously want to put a $$$ wuppin' on them if I caught them. I would certainly buy another - if I could find one in as good condition. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014