Les Paul Classic 7 string Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 12/14/2004 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Classic 7 string
This comes with the standard Les Paul equipment: knobs, switch, pickups, 22 frets, tune-o-matic, stop tailpiece.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 9.3
 9.6
 8.9
reviews (3) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Classic 7 string Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 14, 2004

Purchased from: Chris Guitars (NY)

Features: Everything that a standard Epiphone LP would have, just the addition of the B-String, if you have the chance, buy the Vintage sunburst flametop, the finish is Breath taking! I like the tones I can get with this guitar, I love the high crunchy sounds, and even tho the bottom B gives it more of a bassy feel. If you work with it, you can come out with some heavy hitting sounds, people complain about the nexk being too wide, I did at first, but I adjusted to it pretty quickly. It's not as bad as everyone says it is, I feel wierd going back to a normal 6 stringed guitar, thats how use to it I got lol. // 10

Sound: The sound is awesome! I love how versatile this guitar can be. I play the heavy metal rock, to a grunge, and to even a punk style, and yet when you play it clean, and just strum open chords. It sounds so beautiful. I would've thought that the bottom B would muffle the sound too much, but nope, it sounds crisp and clean. Even when it's unplugged, it still sounds great! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is superb! Just simply perfect, not too high, not super low, just perfect, you can solo on this guitar like no tomorrow, and still play bar and power chords without getting tired. With this guitar, you rarely have to tune, even with fresh strings! Put them on there, spend about 10 minutes fine tuning them, then viola! They're set, and only after very hard playing have I had to go back and tweak them a bit. The finish on the guitar is just radiant! Almost everybody that I show this guitar to their mouths just drop in awe. The finish on the Vintage Sunburst is just off the chart. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I know this guitar can go the distance. Don't let the name Epiphone fool you at all. This guitar is just as ready to rock as you are, and can keep up with the best of them. I would definitely keep this guitar in my front line up, hands down, this guitar is veeeery reliable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a decent mix of heavy metal rock to softer tones, this guitar is very versatile. Don't let the Extra B-string scare you away. This axe can head in almost any direction given the right hands to take it that way. The only flaw I personally have with the guitar, is that it is a bit heavy, but with time you tend to over look that. All in all, great guitar to own, just very hard to find one, run lots of searches for it, and you will eventually find one. // 10

Les Paul Classic 7 string Reviewed by: tallicfan20, on june 21, 2004

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Many of you, being metal fans are familiar with the seven string guitar. That is with an added B string. This guitar type is synonomous with Ibanez in particular. However, the Epiphone Les Paul 7 is a highly unappreciated, underrated, and overlooked instrument that easily defines the word "versitile". This comes with the standard Les Paul equipment (knobs, Switch, pickups, 22 frets, tune-o-matic, stop tailpiece). Basically, its a les paul gone wild with the B string added. The only flaw is having to wrap you fingers around the added width of the neck, but is dismal. // 10

Sound: My music style is mainly hard rock and metal, with some classic rock in there. For those with a similar musical taste, this is right for you. For those songs in drop D, you can some up with different ways to play it without touching a tuning peg. However, when you need to tune it down, the axe tunes easily and stays tuned. You will like the tone a lot, because you can get a Vintage tone, hard rock tone, and metal tone, and for those blistering solos, you can get that droning smooth tone you've always aspired to from hearing Kirk Hammett, Slash, hendrix, and many others. Being a 7 string, the only disadvantge to the extra string is that when you are playing, you might hit the B with your wrist, which is a nussance. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came set, thanks to the person on Ebay who sold it to me (named Peetybear, buy from him). The neck feels nice, and the action is just perfect. Not too high, not to low. My guitar came flawless except for one minor scratch. However, this is not very noticeable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would absolutely use this as my starting guitar. Never would I go to anything else, unless it was a Joe Perry of Jimmy Page Vintage guitar! The flipswitch is always reliable, a not so common feat for a used instrument. If I didn't play this at a gig, my sound would feel half empty. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for all styles. You can play classic rock, hard rock, blues, metal, punk, hell even jazz. Unfortunately, this guitar is no longer in production. To find one, you must look on Ebay, even there it is very rare. You will be lucky to come across a used one.I would cry if this guitar was stolen. That is why I'm getting a custom case with a combo lock. I will never trust anyone with this axe. Do not let the name Epiphone fool you. This guitar is every bit as good as its brand superior Gibson. Heres a suggestion: look for this on Ebay, and buy it! // 10

Les Paul Classic 7 string Reviewed by: pikey_no1, on july 26, 2004

Features: This is a very special guitar. Not because of its bridge, pickups or any thing like that, because they are all standard Epiphone, but because of the extra B string, the string that adds extra superior bass. The only other addition that is bad about this guitar is the added width of the neck. // 10

Sound: This matches most of the styles me & my buddy have attempted, heavy metal, light rock, punk, blues, soul (don't know how that happened), and even some old fashioned country music! It's low B string can make detuning unnecessary, most times any way. It can also freak out guitar freaks who don't realise it's a 7-string when you play Smells Like Teen Spirit using the B string. It's only problem is the toe, but that's because the man who I brought it from made me have to fix the knob, so it doesn't work as well any more. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Apart from the fact that I had to buy new strings, it was brilliant. I also like to change the pickup height from time to time, so if I change them during a song, the volume will change, adding an extra kick. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It has been able to take quite a beating, as it was dropped down a 10 flight of stairs in it's hardcase and only had a small, unnoticeable bump on it. It is very dependable and I can use it without a backup, but I do anyway incase I strum or bend too hard and break a string. // 10

Overall Impression: It is a brilliant guitar, it is suited to all guitar playing needs, and is a very reliable guitar. I would advise you to buy one, as this would be a very wise transaction. But, like tallicfan20, it would be an idea to try and get one of eBay, as this was the only 7 string in the whole of the Loot (2nd hand Classifieds newspaper). // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014