Les Paul Custom Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom
Multiple bound body with arched top and gold hardware, a quick mahogany neck for great action and feel and a solid, glued neck joint for stability and a great sustain all come together to make this guitar one of the best values on the market today.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 8.6
reviews (59) pictures (2) 151 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: ZoSo.Led.Zep., on march 02, 2005

Purchased from: Musicians Pro Shop

Features: Made late 2004. Has a 22 jumbo fret fat Brazilian Rosewood neck (Custom ordered) with pearl block inlays. Is a glossy black with gold hardware. The body is Mahogany with the brazilian neck. It's a Les Paul body style with a gold Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has a volume and a tone knob for the bridge pickup and a volume and tone knob for the neck pickup and a 3 way Switch. It came with awesome Grover tuners which stay in tune for so long I love them. It also came with an Epiphone hard case and a Gibson lead which is soo cool and sounds great. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock like Led Zeppelin and Guns N' Roses so this Les Paul guitar is perfect for the music I play and my Marshall VS100 rounds off the package and is an awesome combo. Its not noisy and I love the rich warm sound. I've changed the Epiphone humbuckers for a Gibson Burstbucker 2 on the neck and a Gibson Burstbucker 3 on the bridge. You can put on the neck puckup and roll the tone all the way back and to Slash solos, or put on the bridge with the tone all the way up and riff like Jimmy Page. It sounds really good when on clean, quite warm tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Was set up well, a little bit of fret buzz with the factory strings but I replace them with my favorite 11s and tuned it down half a step and the buzz was gone. I changed the pickups afew days after buying this guitar but the Epiphone humbuckers seemed to be set up ok. There were no flaws it was really nice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built to last. I mean its a Les Paul! The hardware is holding up well but I've only had it for 3 months and the strap buttons are good. I have gigged this guitar without a backup and it went well and the finish is holding up well. // 10

Overall Impression: This Les Paul and my Marshall are a perfect match for my playing style like Led Zeppelin and Guns N' Roses. I've been messing around with dads guitars all my life but started playing seriously like a year or two ago. If it were stolen of course I'd buy it again! But maybe try to convince parents to buy me a real Gibson? I compared it to Strats and I liked the himbucker design. A great guitar won't let you down! // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 23, 2006

Purchased from: Merchant City Music

Features: I bought this guitar this year, it has 22 frets, rosewood neck, plays like a dream, I have it in white looks amazing similar to that of justin hawkins plays only the cheaper version, has two Gibson designed humbuckers, all gold hardware, similar to the Les Paul Custom Plus only better looking. It has a 3-way pickup selector Switch. // 10

Sound: Sounds amazing, suits pretty much any music style from '60s blues to '80s rock and modern day metal. The two Gibson designed humbuckers give the guitar a very delicate and blues style clean down and a shickingly overdriven tone. A must buy and for the sake of 400 quid it's a bargain, I mean obviousely theres a difference between the Gibson and Epiphone version but not a 1600 pound difference in my eyes. A must buy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was pretty much set up properly and came from Glasgow and arrived in tune, the only down thing was the plastic guards etc. were not screwed in properly as if it had been built in a rush but nothing major. Easty to sort out yourself. The controls are really well designed as they are out of the way and I also find the bridge comfortable when playing palm muted pieces. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will most definitaley live up to its expectation it sounds great on stage but they are not that strong, unfortunately my sister managed to knock mine over onto carpet and the neck cracked, I found this quite unusual as I have seen people like Slash, Led Zeppelin, Zakk Wylde and Pete Townsend lauch there LP's across the stage and pick them up mid solo and carry on playing as if nothin ever happened. I found this unusual so I phoned Epiphone and the agreed and agreed to either repair or replace mine. They have agreed to send a replacement and it should come soon so there a great company and look after there customers well so thanks to Epiphone! // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is fantastic, although it has a few down points it is still a legendary guitar and lives up to its name. I am more of a rhythm and blues player and it is great for some songs but not brilliant for others which is why I have a Squier Telecaster to which is a stunning guitar, 15 years old and still plays as if it were brand new and together they can play any kind of music style. A must buy if you don't own oneand you want an LP then the Custom is your best bet by far. Hope my review helps you all. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: joe516, on march 22, 2005

Features: - 2004 model made where ever the new Epi's are made - Thick mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard with nice sized frets - Heavy mahogany body with maple arched top - White finish with black and cream binding on the body, neck, and headstock - Tune-O-Matic bridge. - Three-way pickup selector (bridge, neck/bridge, neck) - Two tone, two volume knobs - Dual Gibson Designed pickups - Grover tuners - All gold hardware. // 8

Sound: I play just about anything. Like any Les Paul, it'll play any sort of rock/alternative/hardcore/metal or the likes. I find it a little too thick for jazzy stuff though. I play it through a Line 6 Flextone III Plus. Great thick and rich sound like you'd expect form a guitar as heavy as this. Its not the most versatile guitar. Way too bassy and thick for ligher stuff like I said though. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Very good quality, but like just about any guitar there are just a few faults. First, there were a couple very small blemishes on the finish near the neck. Very small though, I didn't see them until a month or so after I bought the guitar. The set-up (which I presume was done at GC) was a little off. I had to fix the intonation a little bit, but that was a quick fix. One of the tone knobs came off as well, but thats a 5 second super glue job. There is a little bit of fret buzz, but I could probably fix that when I have time to mess around with the truss rod. Lastly, the G-string has a little trouble staying in tune. I thought it might have been how it was strung, but when I restrung it, it was a little bit better, but not much. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had the guitar a little over 6 months now and haven't had any huge problems at all. Other than the tone knob falling off, this guitar is very solidly built. People say that Epiphones arn't very high quality, but I'll have to disagree. Sure, there are some bad ones that get through QC, but this one is top notch. I play this thing hard almost every day and there haven't been any huge issues at all. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about three years now and this is my second guitar. It is a great match for most of the music I play, but like I said before, its way too bassy for my liking for lighter stuff. No regrets about this purchase at all. I would replace it if stolen or lost. The one thing about this guitar that I love the most is the look. The white body with black and gold accent is just plain sexy. Its a very classy "tux" look. When looking shopping for the guitar, I compared it to the Epi LP Standard. After playing both back to back, the $100 extra for was a no-brainer decision. The Standard seemed a little cheaper and didn't play nearly as well as the Custom did. I also played the Custom against a Gibson LP Studio as well. Again, the Custom played better than the higher priced Gibby. To prove that it wasn't just that Gibby, I borrowed my friend's Studio and played them back to back as well after I bought the Custom. Again, both him and I thought the Custom played better. I think the Epiphone Les Paul's are great if you don't have enough money to go for a higher and overpriced Gibson model. For the price, you'll be hard pressed to find a better overall guitar. Sure, the Agiles are nice as well, but from my experience, you'd want to replace the bridge and pickups. By the time you add that up, you're around $500 anyway. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Corle, on august 01, 2006

Purchased from: Musicstop

Features: This beautiful guitar was made in 2004ish I'm pretty sure, no clue where its made. It has 24 jumbo frets on a rosewood neck, 24.75" scale length, neck set into a mahogany body with a maple top. Alpine White Ebony finish. Epi Les Paul body style with a gold Tune-O-Matic bridge. 4 controls are given; volume and tone for the bridge pickup, and volume and tone for the neck pickup. And a 3-way switch for the Gold '59 Gibson pickups (bridge, neck/bridge, neck). And non-locking tuners. No accsesories came with mine, but that varies from where you buy it. // 10

Sound: I play alt/punk/rock and this guitar owns every single aspect of evreything I play. It could probably suit any style so don't judge it by just what I play. I'm using it with a wonderfull Marshall AVT150HX halfstack and all I can say is wow. These two work together to make one heck of a sound, I could not ask for better. Guitar is not noisey at all, so don't even worry about it. And a little more on the pickups. When you play on any channel with the bridge pickup, it sounds really rich and deep, yet not muddy at all, not even when I crank the bass on my amp! an the neck pickup gives you an extreamly bright, crisp & clear sound. This guitar can go from bluesy classical stuff to metal. A++ on the sound, I would give it 11/10 if I could, but it only lets you go to ten. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up amazingly, the action was and still is amazing! Pickups were ajusted to perfection, the top was properly bookmatched & the bridge was routed perfectly. The guitar had no flaws when I bought it and still dosen't after one year of playing it! I have only taken it into to the shop once to get my neck ajusted because I got some buzzing in the higher frets, but this happens to evrey guitar so Who cares? // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's an Epiphone so what do you have to worry, anything that comes from Gibson is automaticly trustworthy. This guitar would easily stand live playing, even with the metal players that like to whip it around and wail on the strings. The hardware is very strong and durable, I don't expect I'll be changing it anytime soon. The strap buttons are extreamly solid, but you do need a good strap to do the job. I would and have gigged with this guitar, without a backup. And the finish, is it even possible to wear? I play a lot every single day and no rub, or even thinning so far, and it seems like it won't for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar, my AVT150HX, and my style of music are a perfect match, there is no comparison. I have only been playing for about 4 years now, but don't get me wrong, I know my stuff! If this guitar was stolen I would cry, then buy another one. I love evreything about it, there is no cons at all, and my favorite feature about it has to be the two amazing pickups. I would compare it to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, pretty much the same sound, but a nice price difference. Pros: Amazing actions, Best pickups ever, Durable hardware and finish, Perfect setup, Controls for both pickups, too lazy to name more. Cons: 0, Nodda, Zip, nothing. Hope you found my review helpfull. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: blue_strat, on february 08, 2006

Purchased from: eBay

Features: I don't know where this guitar was made, but I presume that it was the Far East (China, Korea, Japan). I bought it off a Chinese guy on eBay. 22 jumbo frets, 24.75" scale length, neck set into a mahogany body with a maple top. Beautiful gold hardware (you may need to wipe adhesive off the pickups after you remove the plastic covers) and a nice triple white binding around the edges. Mine is a glossy black, but you can get white ones also. Tune-O-Matic bridge mit stopbar, a volume and tone control for each humbucker and a 3-way Switch (N/NB/B). Grover tuners, which is nice, and two Allen keys (for truss rod and action) - the truss rod can be accessed by taking the cover off at the headstock. All in all, a hefty but beautiful guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar could possibly be used for some electric blues (see John Mayall's Bluesbreakers with Eric Clapton [1966]), but I feel that some hard rock n roll or metal is where it performs best. The rhythm pickup (at the neck) has plenty of rough brawn for some serious powerchording or low-tone soloing (think Sweet Child O' Mine); while the lead is great for some solos with a biting treble. Use both together and by adjusting the various vol and tone controls you can get a great tone for chord work or an in-your-face humbucker roar for a solo or riff. I use it with a Boss Overdive/Distortion set to full Drive, overdrive and a 15-watt Fender amp through the clean channel. The rhythm pickup can be noisy, but the humbuckers give out a great warm tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: With this guitar I find that you have to press down pretty hard around the 12th fret to avoid buzzing. I've tried adjusting the truss rod, but this hasn't done much. The finish is lovely, but esily scratched. There's also a bit of glue on the fingerboard, but it's not that bad. However, this is a bit disappointing for a guitar of this stature, so I would recommend buying one from a physical shop you can go to to check that it's up to scratch and without any. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, I think, would withstand live playing. It's gone plenty of beef to survive, and everything is well put together, so it's not going to fall apart in your hands. Also, it is made of mahogany, so if any stage invader comes towards you, you could knock them out without seriously damaging the guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly blues, rock or metal, and I feel that the LP Custom can perform well in all 3 but I feel a tendency to the latter 2. The scale length is shorter than my Strat's, so it's great for riffing. I've been playing for two years now and this is my third guitar (I started on an Encore acoustic). It is by far the most robust, and is great for in-your-face rock. It's not so easy to shred on (which is why Matt Heafy uses it). If lost I would either hunt the bastard who nicked it down and pummel them with it or buy another one. For anything more technical, though, I would use my Strat, simply because I love the feel of it and it has easy access to the higher frets. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: VLVTRVOLVR13, on april 26, 2006

Features: This guitar has a lot of great features that help to make it an outstanding guitar! 22 frets, solid carved maple top over a mahogany body, set mahogany neck, and rosewood fretboard. Grover tuners keep it in tune very well, 2 humbuckers, all gold hardware, the guitar comes in alpine white, black, antique ivory, and wine red. There is a volume and tone knob for each pickup and a three way selector. The Epi Les Paul Custom comes set up very well, it was perfect the way I got it, I was able to sit down and play immediately. Including all this it comes with the custom block inlay and a bound body which looks awesome! // 9

Sound: All I can say is the guitar can cover a wide variety of styles. It delivers a full warm sound and plays beautifully through my Vox combo amp. I use it for all styles(blues, funk, rock, hard rock, grunge, some metal). It is very versatile with the 4 knobs and three way pickup selector. I use alot of modulation effects like chorus and flanger, delay, wah, octaves, overdrives and distortion, basically my main pedal is the Boss ME-50 and it is an excellent combo. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: No falws that really jumped out at me. Pickups are a little buzzy on my Octave Fuzz setting, and sometimes the high E string will buzz but that is usually when I have moved from playing outside to inside. Everything came well setup and the action was great! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I dont gig, but I'll be dragging this guitar with me in the guitar and to friend's houses. It feels very dependable and the finish looks good too last. I haven't had it long so I can't comment too much on the guitars longevity. // 9

Overall Impression: Perfect match for my style of music! As I said before it fits well, some of the artists I play are Nirvana, RATM, Foo Fighters, Smashing Pumpkins, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, lots of other stuff. I compared this guitar to the C-1 Classic and IMO the Epiphone shines above. If it were stolen I would certainly buy another. I love the way I looks, plays and sounds, I hate that I didn't get it sooner! // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Slash_Rulz, on june 09, 2006

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: I'm not sure the year it was made, but it was made in Korea, 22 fret thin '60s style mahogony neck, mahogony body. Alpine-white finish with gold hardware. Epiphone humbucker pickups. Diamond-block inlays and Tune-O-Matic bridge. // 8

Sound: I play mostly Hard Rock and Metal. Guns N Roses, Metallica, Children Of Bodom, Nirvana, Velvet Revolver, some Hendrix, Pantera, Sabbath, quite a varied range. I use a Marshall MG100DFX and although the Epiphone humbuckers aren't the most fantastic in the world it still sounds great for pretty much everything. Great distortion and easy to play. The clean sound isn't as great as the distortion, I guess you'd say its a little weak. But a touch of flange to the clean sound its it's not too bad. It's never really noisy unless your standing ontop of it with the volume on full. But as I said before it covers almost any sound, from blues to hard rock to heavy metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up fine when I first got it, maybe the action was a little high but that took about 2 seconds to fix. The pickups were fine and the bridge was great. The pickup selector sometimes got stuck on one setting if I changed from rhythm to treble quickly but that was only on some amps, which were the crappy ones at school, seems fine on my amp. All the finish was great and the neck looked great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's great, it hardly ever goes out of tune, and is great for live performing, although because of the typical heavy Les Paul body it can be a little sore of the neck after a while, you get use to it. The only bad thing is, the gold hardware on the pickups and somewhat on the bridge are starting to wear off a little, and I've only had it for about 6 months, but I don't mind it too much, just gives it more of a raw, rustic feel. // 8

Overall Impression: For $920 australian it isn't bad at all in my opinion. If it was stolen I would buy another les paul, whether it would be an Epiphone would depend on how much money I had. But it's still a good all-round guitar from lead to rhythm playing, it covers it all. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: epiphoneg310, on august 06, 2007

Features: My guitar was Brand New and made in January 2007 and was made in china. It has the Standard 22 frets full scale with sexy block mother of pearl inlays and the famous Gibson split Diamond on the head stock. The body is made of solid mahogany and so is the neck with a rose wood fingerboard and a carved top with a shiny ebony finish with cream binding on the body, neck and headstock. It has a tune-o-matic bridge with Epiphone USA made pickups that sound fantastic, 2 volume and control knobs with Grover tuners, all hard ware is gold. I didn't get anything with it except an allen key for the truss rod. // 10

Sound: this guitar is a spot on match for my needs (metal like Trivium and hard rock like Guns n Roses but I'm certain it could do blues and country if you're into that stuff).I've tried this through a friends Marshall MG100DFX and it sounds so sweet on clean it could charm birds from trees and with distortion make em explode! it's very bright on clean and with distortion it really crunches (in a good way). if I had to compare it to something I'd have to compare it to a Gibson Les Paul Studio or SG Special which for 300 quid is an absolute bargain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good, better than expected but the bridge pickup needed a little lowering. There were no flaws at all except a tiny pinhead indent on the back that I only noticed because it caught the light, but it was nothing to make a fuss over and all in all I was very happy with the setup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't go to a gig with a backup because this guitar is so well made and I have so much Faith in it. I think the hardware would fade with time but in my opinion that brings character to a guitar, but the guitars finish wouldn't chip or come off if you did a quick polish every now and again but everything is very solid and sturdy I've given it a knock on the headstock a few times an no chips or splits or any sight of damage. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, would never sell it or give it away and I treat it as if it was made of porcelain (although I still play hard). I've been playing about a year now and are starting to get speedier and better at playing and this guitar can handle it well. If it were stolen I'd beat the guy take his money and my guitar and buy another one to match. This is a top quality guitar for the price and I highly recommend it to anyone, if your short on your budget I'd say keep saving because believe me it's worth every penny. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: L2112Lif, on may 18, 2010

Features: Firstly, yes. I did buy this guitar for 1 dollar. The actual price was 800, but I bought it during the best guitar sale on the planet. Party on Wayne! Its got your Standard 22 frets, and a silverburst paint job, which is amazing from afar. Mine's a factory 2nd with a little defect which isn't noticeable at all. Mahogany body, cream colored binding, chrome hardware. Grover tuners, Tune-o-Matic bridge, two humbucking pickups, four knobs. Two tone two volume. The works. // 9

Sound: Its got that chunky low rich sound that you'd expect for a two humbucker guitar. I run through a Vox VT30, which is a nice budget amp for those of you guitaristas in the middle of the price range, and can achieve a myriad of tones. I love backing off the tone and volume on the neck, switching to both humbuckers, and running with a crunchy yet lite sound. I wish the guitar had a little more variety, but hey. Thats what four lead humbuckers are made for. It is gonna be a nice piece of work when I can afford to Switch out the humbuckers to mod the guitar. Not that it isn't a nice one now. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar straight from the store, and made the mistake of not playing it before walking out with it. This mistake, however, was not the end of the world. The action was good right out of the case, nothing too bad with the paint. All I needed to do was take the pick guard off the guitar and we were ready to roll. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have dropped this guitar more than its fair share of times. It essentially bounces. My brother sat on it the other day, leading to a crack in one of the tone knobs, but it still works; no structural damage whatsoever. I would never gig without a backup, I've had technical problems with guitars before, but this one feels like it could take the heat. I changed out the strap buttons almost immediately, so I can't really say anything for them. And the finish... Oh my. I wish it would wear down a little so people would believe I actually use this as my #1 right now. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from Classic rock to nineties grunge, and this guitar makes a great match. I've been playing for a few years, and I moved out of the bedroom about four years ago. If this guitar were stolen, I might hesitate to buy it again simply because I bought the original at 1 buck, but I probably would. The only thing that I hate about this guitar is that I play a Les Paul Ultra II at the same time, and getting used to not having the tummy routing is one annoying road. But, then again, its not the guitar's fault that his brother got Lipo now, is it? // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: AJ6stringsting, on june 08, 2012

Features: My Les Paul Custom was made in China in 2007, it has 22 frets, Rosewood neck with a Mahogany body with Alnico pickups, tune-o-matic tailpiece, passive electronics, 2 volume, 2 tone knobs, 3 way selector switch, non locking Grover tuning keys and the case was included. // 9

Sound: I play Classic Rock, Neo-Classical Metal, Prog-Metal, Classic 80's Metal, Fushion, Thrash, Speed Metal and Blues. I use a Carvin X-100B (1986 model; 12ax7's, 6L6 tubes), DigiTech RP-1 and RP12 (To get the tones mentioned above), 2 VHT Valvulators II's, BBE Sonic Maximizers, two 32 band Eq's, Hush Noise Reduction Units, Monster Power Conditioners with cabinets containing Celestion "Green Backs". The guitar was made for more Classic Rock sounds, but I've done some modifications to give it a meaner John Sykes / Randy Rhoads / Gary Moore sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had to lower the action at the bridge and at the truss rod, I raised up the pickups, everything was routed well and their were super super minor flaws (who cares) but they are only seen up close. The electronics were done well. I own a 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom and this Epiphone projects better bass frequencies better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Finish is well applied, but some of the paint dried on a very small part of the binding... It's okay. This guitar is modified now to my tonal liking, so it's one of my main axes (I own 14 guitars), so it's going to gig with me for my Metal and Classic Rock gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing 34 years, I own Gibsons, Fenders, Jacksons, Kramers, Ovations, Applause and Home Assembled guitars that are top notch too. If stolen I would buy another, but I plan to buy an Epiphone 3 humbuckered "Black Beauty" very soon. I removed the neck pickup to install the bridge pickup, so I reversed the bridge pickup in the neck position to reduce the mud and now I have a very powerful neck pick up to balance well with my DragonFire Gold covered Vintage Screamer which was rated at 16.9k ohms on my meter. I plan on replacing the tail piece and putting on a Schaller or Gibson tail piece that has fine tuners so I can do some minor tuning when needed. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: President1212, on june 22, 2012

Purchased from: Digital Village

Features: This guitar was made in Korea in March '05. It has a mahogany body and neck, and a rosewood fretboard with 22 medium jumbo frets. This guitar is set-neck, which gives it great sustain. I got this guitar in Alpine White, but it also comes in Black. It comes with all the classic Les Paul features: 2 Alnico humbuckers with a 3-way toggle switch, volume and tone pots for each humbucker, and a tune-o-matic bridge. I particularly like the fact that you get separate volume pots for each pickup, which gives you the ability to customise how far you lean toward either pickup when you're on the middle setting. Also, since the middle setting won't run when either pickup is turned to 0, you can effectively use it as a kill-switch. This guitar comes stock with Grover machine heads, and I have no tuning problems. // 9

Sound: This guitar gives you the thick tones you'd expect from a humbucking guitar - don't buy this guitar expecting bell-like single coil "fender" tones. This guitar suits mainly blues on the neck pickup - if I turn the gain down to about 3 on my amp (a Fender Deluxe VM) I can get great clean-ish tones with that little bit of bite. On the neck pickup, you can crank up the gain and get everything from Led Zeppelin to Guns N' Roses. However, when you really turn the gain right up you sacrifice a noticeable amount of clarity, even at low volumes. I've played more expensive guitars through the same amp, and they don't have this problem nearly as much. On the other hand, I find the pickups to be strong, but at the same time, they don't create unnecessary noise when you're not playing. This did happen on my old Crate practice amp, but since I've upgraded, the problem has vanished. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I had absolutely no problems with this aspect of the guitar - the action was perfect straight away, all the knobs felt extremely solid and secure, and the neck was perfectly shaped and comfortable. The finish has a nice gloss to it, and doesn't show marks too easily, even though I've played it at gigs multiple times. The only qualm I could have with it is that the pickup selector is slightly loose, but it's barely even a problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I did find some problems in this area - firstly, the screws in the strap button at the neck destroyed the wood inside, and eventually fell out. I had to fill the hole with a mixture of sawdust and glue and screw it back in again. The scratchplate attachment quickly fell apart, so I had to replace it. On the other hand, there haven't been any problems as yet which affect the sound or playability of the guitar - I'm perfectly confident in this guitar at gigs, so long as I've checked the strap buttons beforehand. Also, the finish seems to be very permanent - it has barely worn away at all. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a solid, relatively cheap guitar (it is my second guitar) and I like the fuller, thicker humbucker tone - this is the reason why I chose it ahead of similarly priced Ibanez and ESP guitars. However, you do make some sacrifices for the price. Also, the tone is identical to it's cheaper sister guitar, the Epiphone Les Paul Standard, which I also think looks marginally better as well in the sunburst finishes: the only reason I chose the Custom is that I got a great bargain on it - if you're buying new at standard price, get the Standard. If it got lost/stolen, I'd probably upgrade to something a bit higher-spec - maybe one of the Fender American Strats. However, if you're just starting out, or maybe want to move up to the next rung of the ladder after your cheap started guitar, I would definitely recommend this guitar! // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Tombe, on march 23, 2005

Purchased from: Academy Of Sound (Norwich)

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Custom has a 22-fret ebony fretboard, rosewood neck and mahogany body. It comes in either black or white finishes, I have the black one. It has a Tune-o-Matic bridge, two Gibson-designed humbuckers with tone and volume controls for each one, and a three-way pickup selector located near the strap button nearest the neck. The bridge, pickups and pickup selector are all gold-plated. It has 6 Grover tuners, also gold. The jack socket is located on the side of the guitar, below the strap button, like on a Telecaster. Very versatile guitar. One thing to consider is that this guitar is extremely heavy, it's not one that you can throw around on-stage. // 8

Sound: A lot of people bad-mouth Epiphones, saying people only buy them because they're related to Gibson. Firstly, the only place where the word Gibson appears on this guitar is on the removable bits of sticky plastic that covers the (Gibson-designed) pickups when you buy the guitar. Secondly, could it be possible that people buy Epiphones because they're good guitars? Even through a Marshall MG30, this guitar sounds fantastic. Cleans on the bridge pickup are bright and full, harmonics ring out as clear as a bell, and the rhythm pickup gives a mellower tone, suitable for jazz or blues. Put some overdrive into it and this guitar's true colours Shine out. This thing sustains for days (much like Nigel Tufnell's custom 3-pickup Les Paul: "You can, like, go out for a bite to eat and come back and it will still be going 'Waaaah!'"), every note rings out clearly, and the neck pickup gives the perfect sound for rhythm guitar. Tremolo-picking high on the fretboard on the neck pickup with a bit of reverb lets you do the Hope of the States 'make guitars sound like a string section' thing. I play indie/alternative and even though not that many Indie bands use Les Pauls it's still quite possible to get an Indie 'sound' (if such a thing exists) from this guitar. Of course, it can be used for classic rock and prog in the Les Paul tradition as well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action and intonation were textbook, I didn't have to make any adjustments. The finish is flawless, and when polished it's like a black mirror (another Spinal Tap reference there) coupled with the gold hardware, this is a very shiny guitar. The only minor problem is that one of the straplocks was a bit loose, but it wasn't anything I couldn't fix with a screwdriver. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm pretty sure this guitar will stand being played live, after the thrashing it's survived in band practices. I'd never use it without a backup. I wouldn't use any guitar with a back up. It's all very well and good having a Custom Shop Stratocaster, but it's not going to be a lot of good out of tune with a snapped string. I've never used it in a gig with my band, although I did use it four nights in a row for a school production and it was absolutely fine. This thing is built like a tank. It's a thick slab of mahogany with a rosewood neck, you'll need a lot to damage that. The black finish seems nice and solid. The gold finish seems to be wearing off the pickups a bit, but the tuners and bridge are still nice and solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I see no ground for the arguments of Epiphone-haters. You're not paying for the Gibson name, you're paying for an extremely good guitar, which I'd much rather have over any similarly-priced guitars such as Fender Standards or Ibanez RGs. I've been playing for a year and a half, although thanks to a huge knowledge of music theory beforehand I've managed to become pretty good fairly quickly. I also own a Squier Strat (first guitar, of course) and a Marshall MG30DFX, which I plug the guitar into through a Boss DS-2 Distortion and a Boss ME-50 multi-FX. I also occasionally play using an E-Bow. If this guitar was stolen, would I buy another one? If I had enough money, I would. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 06, 2005

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: Made 2004 in USA with the usual carved maple top and mahogany the Les Paul Custom is a great looking thorwback almost to the black beauty origonal model. All a classic glossy black with the white trimmings and gold hardwear, including Seymore Duncan gold ceramis humbukers, it really looks awesome. The 22 fret rosewood neck played perfectly (even with a glossed back of the neck). The 4 controls and 3-way Switch alow a huge sound range and make for an exelent varity of styles. // 10

Sound: My personal style is rock and metal with a blues edge but I do play sessions as well with various styles and find this guitar a perfect choice to use. The sound is vary variable weather you are looking for a Tony Iommi style Black Sabbath sound. Or a more melody orentaited style such as Jimmy Page it works perfectly. Though it does take a while to master this guitars range to find what you want straight away. But when you do all the sounds u want are eaisy to achieve. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I found this guitar set up perfectly as it came. The finish includes a thick varnish that lasts through gigs and eaisly polished up without ware. The pickup selector works great and is dampened so as not to echo or make any sound. The action and fret board were all well setup and filed alsoit stayes in tune very well. // 10

Reliability & Durability: as I said before the finish on this guitar will not ware off eaisly and the tuning lasts well so it is definatly a guitar I would rely on live, I already have of several occasions. The strap buttons are very solid and again gold in colour. The stock hardwear is definatly built to last and a back up guitar is definatly out of the question with this 1. // 10

Overall Impression: I would definatly buy another les paul I already own 3 and I do rely on Gibson and Epiphone alot at the moment with 8/9 of my guitars made by them (the other is a BC Rich). I love the look and playability for any style with this guitar and it has never let me down. Also I'm glad it still has the old styling to it of the Black Beauty Les Pauls. The only thing I compared this with before buying it was an SG Special I chose this because it was cheaper and I already had an SG Special maybe by Gibson. I was intending to use this a s a stage guitar only but it definatly proved to be worth a lot more to me than that. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 02, 2005

Purchased from: Long & McQuade Music Shop

Features: I believe it was made in 2004. Mine was made in Korea. 22 frets on a pretty thick neck with a rosewood fret board on a maple neck. I have a solid black finish. 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs, 3-way Switch with 2 gold humbuckers. Tune-O-Matic bridge system. The pickups are Alnico humbuckers designed by Epiphone (I wonder why everyone else's is designed by Gibson). It's got grover tuners and all gold hardware. // 10

Sound: I play metal and rock, alternative, anything really. I must say that this guitar is very versitile. The tone range is amazing. It suits many of the styles I play. I use this guitar on my shitty Peavey Rage 158 practice amp. Even on a crappy amp it sounds wonderful. I use the treble on solos and harmonics which produce great tone and sound. The rythm is also good for warmer soft sounds but I like to use it with metal distortion. This guitar can honestly be used for anyhting. It's amazing. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was good. Action was perfect. Stringing was obviously fine. Intonation was a bit off. Hardware is all decent except the bridge's gold color was wearing away a little. Nut was messily and the binding was dirty. The binding had all this brown stuff on it and I couldn't do anything about it because it was covered by the clear finish. Nut was also alittle dirty. Besides that everything was good. No scratches or anything. But the binding is pretty gross. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is pretty solid. Seems like a tank, but I'm not gonna bash it to test it. It's too beautiful. Hardware seems pretty good except for the color fading of the gold. Strap buttons couldn't be anymore solid. I would depend on it fully. It's a good guitar. Very durable. I'd use it at a gig without a backup. The finish seems thick and would last a wihle. // 8

Overall Impression: My style revoles around rock so yes it's a good match to my style. Though it's weak on the metal scene its still decent for that style. I've been playing for over 4 years and my first guitar was some Oscar Schmidt guitar by Washburn. I also own a Peavey practice amp, a Line 6 Uber Metal pedal. Ibanez Delay Pedal, and a Zoom 1010 multi effect pedal. I didn't hesitate to buy this. it was a perfect choice. If I hadnt bought this guitar I would aimed for the Jackson RR5, white with black pin stripes. So sexy. If my LP were stolen I'd probably buy a cheeper LP, maybe a Standard or a Classic. I'm not gonna risk something so valuable getting stolen again by cheep ass fags who can't afford anything. What I love about this guitar is it's sleek smooth looks. It's so beautiful with the gold hardware with the black finish and the mother of pearl inlays. I hate the gross gunk found on the binding and sometimes its weight. It's so heavy. I'm starting to get back problems from it. My favorite feature is the 3-way Switch and the 2 volume knobs and 2 tone knobs. You can preset yer tones and you can efficiently Switch between then with a flick of the Switch. when I bought this I compared it with the RR5 from Jackson but I ended choosing this one 'cause it was cheeper and its look were more subtle and its tone was so versitile. I wish it had Gibson's headstock with the Gibson logo on it. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Ambulance X, on july 26, 2005

Features: Made in Feb. 2005 in Korea, this guitar is quite a beauty. Ebony finish with gold hardware to compliment it, independent volume/tone control for each pup, rosewood fretboard (Different from the Gibson LP Custom, which has an ebony fretboard to my knowledge), binding on the body, neck, and headstock, a fairly thick neck and beautiful pearloid inlays on the fretboard and headstock. The only complaints I have about this guitar is that the tuners aren't that great. I've had my LP Custom for 3 days and the guitar keeps slipping out of tune. The other being that this guitar feels quite heavy compared to my old guitar. Other than those 2 things, this is an almost-perfect guitar. // 10

Sound: I mainly play metal/hardcore and this guitar sounds beautiful with distortion and/or overdrive. Although at the time of the review, I am ampless, but when I was trying it out at the GC through a Line 6 Spider 112, it sounded great on distortion and overdrive. Awesome sustain. This thing will scream forever, even with the stock pickups. I also dabble in punk and some cleaner alt. and Indie music which doesn't require distortion and it performs great. This guitar is very versatile and can probably be played for any type of music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set-up good. It was intonated correctly right out of the box, the neck action was set and I had very little problems playing it other than getting use to the thick neck. The finish was so shiny, I could see my reflection in it. The only complaint I have is that the binding was a little messy. There are very miniscule, hardly noticeable spots on the neck binding, but other than that, it was great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is like my dad's old Grand Trueno: it's a tank. It is extremely durable. I accidentally scraped it against a very rough cabinet door, and the finish withstood no damage. It's extremely durable and great for people who tend to thrash their guitars about and damage them. // 10

Overall Impression: It's a great guitar for anyone. Les Pauls are the trademark of rock n' roll for a reason: because they're great guitars all around. And for $650, you probably couldn't get much better of a deal, unless you could find a Gibson LP Special for $650. I'd reccomend this to anyone and everyone. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 12, 2005

Purchased from: Long And McQuade

Features: My Les Paul Custom was made in 2004 in Korea (like all Epis except the Elitist series). 22 frets, grover tuners, Epi designed pickups (though I'm gonna replace them with seymour duncans) etc. It's basically like every other Les Paul that Epiphone makes except it has gold hardware which makes it look that much better. // 10

Sound: The sound that this guitar produces is great! You can get almost any sound that you're looking for from jazz, hard rock, to punk rock, and anywhere in between, with 2 tone and 2 volume knobs it's hard not to get the sound your looking for, I'm currently using a Marshall practise amp (GM15DFX) with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal. The guitar has great tone and stays in tune forever, the only time I retune my guitar is when I replace the strings or when I practise with my band, just to make sure everyone else is in tune, I play mostly punk rock (not like good charlotte punk, but the real stuff) but the band I joined is all about the classic rock and this guitar gets the job done with flying colours. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfect when I tried it at the store, I checked for and flaws and there was none to be found, I just adjusted the action a little when I got home, 'cause I like my action to be really low so its easy to play all around the fretboard but besides that it was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank, it will last for a good portion of my life, feels solid but heavy, the strap button became loose after a while because I think the strap I use is very stiff, but thats nothing a handy screw driver cant fix, I have played gigs and I don't bring a back up cause I don't have one, but if I did, I still wouldn't bring it, this thing is totally reliable. The only problem I've had with this guitar is that the gold hardware is starting to rub off, and I can start to see spots of silver on the stop bar but besides that its awsome and totally reliable and will last a lifetime. // 8

Overall Impression: The style of music I play is mostly punk rock but as I stated above the band I joined is all about the classic rock (AC/DC, Deep Purple, GN'R) and this guitar can handle it, I've been playing acoustic for about a year and a half and decided to buy an electric, I did my research about a good guitar that was in my price range, and it was between this or a Fender, the Epi Les Paul Custom was the choice for me. This guitar lived up to my expectations maybe even more! The playability, the looks oh my its all great! If it were stolen I would replace it hands down, I couldn't go a day with out it! // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: goodsum, on october 04, 2005

Features: This guitar was made in late 2004 as far as I know, not sure where though. A nice set of 22 frets, the standard size frets really, it's just the perfect size for me, it bares great manoeverability along the thretboard. A lovely black finish which makes it a great looking guitar, whith a triple white ling of trimming along the edges of the body. The guitar had gold hardware for a spectacular look. // 9

Sound: Three settings, rhythm, an un-named in-bewtween setting, and treble. Rhythm give a great sound with just enough bass to it, which is wierdly enough great for rhythm. Treble is my favourite, a truly great sound for solos and general play. A true rock guitar. I use a Marshall 40W valve-amp, and the DigiTech RP300A, together they create an unbelievable range of great sounds which I cannot produce with any other guitar. I really could carry on with this guitar forever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: A low action which allows easy play-ablity and minimum duffing from strings. Low E string sometimes vibrate with heavy play whilst open. Easily adjustible bridge, and all. When no srings are attached the bridge is easily accidentally adjusted. Very able guitar, I never needed to adjust anything. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I bought this guitar under the impression that the finish was very hard to sustain, but it has done brilliantly. I thumbled a CD case against it leaving 2 thick white scrathes on it, but later I noticed they just rubbed off and now you would never know they were there, which was a great relieve. Very long lasting. Some straps like to fall off which has cost me, as my last strap did and it fell on jack plug and the lead broke the jack-cover which only cost around 1.40 to replace. But now I have a more sterdy strap. I would take this to a gig without worry, but I always like to transport it in a hard case, not the sort of guitar I want damaged. // 9

Overall Impression: This fits in very well with my kind of music, mainly rock but I vary alot aswell. All Oasis, Yellowcard, Guns N' Roses, Eric Clapton, Nirvana, Stereophonics and so on work great. I've been playing over 3 years, which isn't long in the guitar world, but I've come a very long way and I know that this was worth all 350, which is a good price for it. It ranges from around 315-450 depending on where ou look. If this guitar was for some reason to disappear, I would get it again, or if I could stretch to the Gibson version of it. I chose this over all other Epiphones, and a range other models. All in all, a great guitar which I recommend to all my mates. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: guitarfan93, on october 05, 2005

Features: Made in 2005, made in Korea, 22 frets, and I think the neck is rosewood (not sure). The body is a Les Paul body (not sure what wood). Bridge style is a standard (Gibson looking)neck. Active electronics (or that's what someone told me). 2 pickup volumes are given and two tone conrols. // 9

Sound: I play many different music styles (punk, blues, alternative rock, classic rock, and even some metal (kinda). I needed a guitar with versatilitity. I use a Fender FM 212R amp and a RP200A DigiTech multi effects pedal. There is not too much buzz to it but sometimes it can get a little noisy. Its not so great for really fast music with high distortion. I would say that the pickups are okay but I might upgrade to some other Gibson pickups. On a Vox setting this guitar is awesome. On a delay kind of distorted for mabye some slash stuff it is awesome (probaly best for this guitar. The strings bend very easily (great for solos). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is pretty well setup when I got it. I did have to do some adjusting to the neck pickup. The top is is ok. The bridge is good. The only flaw I saw when I got it was that the brige had pretty big dent on it, but that was because I got it at a place where people can pick it up and play it, and also the volume knob just fell of one day, but that was easy to fix. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will probaly last 5 more years, although I will probaly upgrade some of the accesories on it. The hardware will probaly last. The only thing that might not last is the tuning pegs. I don't really know if thestrap buttons were solid because I put a strap lock n it the first day I got it. It is definetley gig worthy. I will probaly have a backup through just because accidents happens. // 9

Overall Impression: I play many different music styles (punk, blues, alternative rock, classic rock, and even some metal (kinda). It really matche well with punk, alternaive rock, and most classic rock. I've been playing for about three years now. I own a Squier Strat (sucks) Ovation acoustic, and a Yamaha classical. If it were stolen or lost I would probaly buy a Gibson either Les Paul or SG instead of another Epiphone because of the fact that Gibsons are higher quality. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: chickenfire315, on february 16, 2006

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: Before I say anything else, my LP is a limited edition, so some things may be different from a regular custom, I'm not sure. Made in 2005, 22 frets, laminated top I believe, with solid mahogany below. Ebony & chrome paint job. Have had it for a month and I still stop and stare at it. Never seen a more beautiful guitar. 2 volume & tone controls, very nice for getting your sound just right. Decent pickups, kinda muddy unless the tone is all the way up. No accessories w/ guitar. // 9

Sound: I play classic rock so it suits me great, mostly AC/DC, etc. A great rhythm guitar, might need slightly brighter pickups for soloing, I know it's a Les Paul but still. I play thru a Kustom 65 watt at home and a Crate 120 at school. Both sound great. No pedals. Some hum on the neck pickup, not too bad. Turn up the tone all the way, usually. It's too dark if you don't. Very full sound, I'm a lead guitarist so maybe it doesn't suit me best. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't notice anything wrong with the action out of the box. I think it came with. 10s and intonation was right on. Pickups are dark. Slight glue residue? (Not sure) near nut and neck pickup, came off easily. Chrome hardware, including pickguard. Absolutely the best looking guitar I have ever laid eyes on! Scratched the back with my belt buckle. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank, very solid and heavy. I wouldn't drop it but it would live. I will invest in some straplocks. I don't want my baby to meet the floor anytime soon. I would take it to a gig w/o backup definitely. The finish is very thick. Very durable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a good guitar for classic rock as long as the pickups are set right. I have played for 5 years, own 2 corts, one acoustic, one electric, and it blows them out of the water, and I would not say they are bad guitars. Are you thinking about stealing it? Because I have a shotgun waiting for you! I would definitely hunt you down or buy another. Unfortunately, I was not really able to compare it with a comparable guitar, as I bought it on-line. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Goodeyesniper24, on july 31, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: Lets see here, its got 22 frets with block inlays on a rosewood neck which look really nice, the gold Tune-O-Matic bridge, humbuckers and grover tuners look great on the wine red body. It has a bound body, neck and headstock which really sets it off. The inlay in the headstock is very nice. It has a mahogany body and a set mahogany neck. There are 2 volume and 2 tone controls as well as a 3-way switch. It included a cable thats about it. Overall it has just about everything a Gibson has except it was made in china. // 10

Sound: The sound on this is great, the sustain is amaazing, it feals like it will never end. It has such a rich les paul tone. The rhythm pickup has a great kinda chug noise for rock and the treble pickup is great for solos. The treble setting which I use the most has such great sound. There is nothing I can complain about sound wise. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is the only area that I had a problem with, I did not buy the b stock and still it had flaws in the binding and one area in the finish, it annoys me to no end when I look at it. On the bridge there was an odd mark like someone had something on the fingers and touched it and it stayed there. Now I have a chinese factory workers finger print on my guitar. The pickups and things were set up nice however. Pretty much to my liking. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would do pretty much anything with this guitar after I got some new strap buttons. The top strap always falls off, some locking ones would do the trick but I dont have the money at this time. Everything else seems like it will stand up to a lot of wear and tear. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a great guitar, I play a lot of modern and classic rock and it dose just fine. I play with a Marshall MG100DFX half cab and the sound it just great. I think if it were stolen or lost, I would just buy a standard, this is a great guitar but for 100 bucks more you dont get a whole lot. I would recommend this guitar if you have the extra money. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: *Nirvana*, on september 30, 2006

Sound: I play rock, blues, and metal mostly and it fits those very well. I can get a pretty good Black Sabbath tone on the neck pickup and for a metalica type sound the bridge works pretty well. I use this with a Vox AD100VT, a Dunlop Crybaby wah and sometimes a Zoom 505#2 nuli-effects. It is never noisy and I can almost always get the full sound I'm looking for. The only problem I have with it is the pickups. They're not bad but they're not great and I will soon be getting Gibson burstbucker pros for it. I like to try to play more stles of music then what I feel comppletely comfortable in, these include funk, jazz, and basically whatever I feel like trying and this guitar fits them all pretty well. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well at the factory. The action was good and low and it was comfortable to play as soon as I got it home. The pickups were adjusted pretty good but I adjusted the pole pieces to get a better sound. There were no flaws in this guitar when I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely be able to gig. The hardware will last but I expect the gold to eventually fade however It has not begun to fade yet. The strap buttons were ok but I replaced them with straplocks and I definitely would suggest this because Les Pauls are fairly heavy and will come off the strap if you move around. The finish has not worn at all yrt and seems pretty good. // 9

Overall Impression: I have been playing about two years. I do not regret buying this at all, I'm very happy with it. If it were stolen I would definitely buy it again. My favorite feature is the neck, it is relly comfortable, has medium frets which are very good for me. I compared this to a Highway Strat hss and a Gibson Les Paul Vintage mahogany, I got this one because I liked the tone best and thought with some new pickups it would sound as solid if not more as a Gibson. I wish it had a whammy bar but like the look of it better without it so I'll probably get a whammy pedal. I highly reccomend getting this guitar. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: laneychief, on october 18, 2006

Features: I don't have a clue where it was made. It has 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard. It's a black laminated solid-top, with a fixed bridge and humbucker pickups. Two volume, two tone controls. With grover machineheads. I really like the machineheads they are really smooth. I find that the Humbuckers that came with it when I bought it are brilliant for pinch harmonics. Nothing came included with it when I bought it. // 9

Sound: This guitar really suits any type of playing that you want to do, I play any and every style and I find that it is really versatile for anything from blues to heavy metal. I'm currently using it through a Marshall MG100HDFX, and a Jim Dunlop MXR Dime Distortion and a Jim Dunlop Crybaby. When in clean, and in the neck pickup position, it makes the nicest rich, clean tone it sounds beautiful. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it the action on it was terrible, I like my action low, so I dropped it as low as it could go, that wasn't difficult. The pickups were just fine I didn't need to change anything with them, I really like them and I wouldn't want to change them. There was no flaws in it at all when I purchased it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've played quite a few gigs with this guitar and it handles them very well, I think that it will last a long time, it seems very durable, the strap buttons are perfect, I use Jim Dunlop strap locks just to save any embarrasing strap slips. I have used it at a few gigs without any backup guitar, I depend on it greatly and I trust that it will be a long time before It lets me down. The finish on the back is starting to wear off, due to my belt buckle and there's some scratchs on the top near the pickup selector from my plectrum. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is really versatile and suits whatever style I feel like playing at the time, I play all styles. I've been playing for about 4 years now. I own a Marshall MG100HDFX, a MXR Dim Distortion a Jim Dunlop CryBaby and lots of different acoustics. If it was stolen or lost I might buy something with a floyd rose tremolo because I think I would prefer a tremolo arm and you can't have that because of it's fixed bridge, I love the colour and the sound. One thing, I wish it wasn't so heavy! Overall I love this guitar and it was a brilliant buy and I am very happy with my decision. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2006

Features: Made in korea in 2005. All gold hardware, has 22 jumbo frets. mahogany neck and body in ebony. It has a les paul style body with tunomatic bridge, Epiphone humbucker pickups, with 2 volume 2 tone knobs and a 3-way selector toggle switch. It came with Grover tuners which stay in tune for ages, in any tuning; Standard to drop B. // 10

Sound: I play mainly melodic death metal like Children Of Bodom, heavy metal like Avenged Sevenfold and some nu metal like Slipknot, and this les paul is great for all of this music. I play the lep paul through a Crate GT15R and use Behringer Ultra distort and chorus, and an Ibanez TS9 Tubescreamer. The Epiphone humbuckers are great, the bridge pickup gives a nice warm sound for chords and the like, and the bridge pickup is perfect for solos and leads. No noisee to speak of if you have the volume just a little down from full. You can get pretty much any sound you want out if it, thanks to being able to setup each pickup individually with the controls. Harmonics works fine and the sustains legend. You can do any of the harmonics that Children Of Bodom use and you could do killswitch is you wanna knacker up the toggleswitch, but their easy to replace. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Was set up fine, a few loose nuts but easily sorted out. Didn't need to make any adjustments to the bridge or truss rod. The pickups set up well, neck warm, bridge nice n bright. Reaching higher frets [20-22] is a little tricky but can be done. No problems with strings and works fine with the Epiphone strings it came with, but I use ernie balls 10s out of personal preference. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Reliability is 99%, pickups, input and tuners are all fine and because its mahogany wood, it's not going to get bashed up to bad if you drop it. The only things I would watch out for is the strap buttons. After about 6 months the top button ripped straight out the guitar. It's relatively easy to fix using a piect of dowel put into the hole with some woodglue on it, leave to dry then rescrew the button back in and it's been fine since. It might have just been holding the guitar at a dodgy angle but it's worth watching out for. Strap locks are a must. As far as gigging I can imagine it lasting for years and so far no scratches. // 9

Overall Impression: The Les Paul works great with metal and rock and my 15 watt Crate doesnt't do it justice. I played it through a Crate GT212 and it sounded awesome, no noise or fretbuzz. I've been playing for a year and a bit. If it was stolen I would definately buy another. Obviously I would rather have a Gibson, but for it's price the Epiphone is a bargain. My fave feature would be the ability to get any tone out of with with the controls. The strap button is the only minor problem with it and everything else is great. This guitar is legend and wont let you down! // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2007

Purchased from: Allans Music Melbourne

Features: Hi firstly this is the most awesome guitar ever and I love it. It was made in Korea last year I think. 22 frets, mahogany body. solid top. It's all black but with white ivory edges and pearl inlay in the neck. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and because it's a custom I got it with emg active pickups which really adds to the sound quality. I got it with a Epiphone hard case. // 10

Sound: I play a huge variety of music ranging from mexican styles right through to Mettalica and it suits everything. The sound is clean and warm and with distortion absolutally amazing. I am using a Korg pedal which is crap, and a 15w practice amp and the sound is very good even on this. I can't wait to get a valve amp and make this baby sound even better (if possible). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly setup when I got it as the shop where I bought it is very good. Nothing needed to be adjusted and there were no flaws in the finish which is black and glossy the only concern I have is that I will need to polish it becuse of finger marks but that's no big deal. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Will this guitar withstand live playing, hell yes it's amazing the perfect weight and the prefect sound. The hardware looks like it will last and all the knobs and dials are secure. I can really depend on this guitar but I wouldn't gig with out a backup because if a string breaks (which I doubt)I am really slow changing it. The finish will definatly last. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play everything and the versitility of this guitar is amazing. I have been playing for about 2 years and this is my first real step up, instrument wise it is just 100% better than my first guitar. When buying the guitar find out how custom it is because a lot of customs are fairly common however mine isn't because of the emg active pickups. If I lost this guitar I would buy another one for sure it actually plays better than the fenders I tried which were thousands more. I love everything about this guitar. I compared it it to a normal Epiphone Les Paul Standard but the sound wasn't nearly as good as this one (becuase of the EMGs) I kindof wish it had a tremelo but I mean I don't really use it on my other guitars so it's not needed. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: robsta_65, on january 31, 2007

Features: Solid mahogany body w/ 2 Alnico 5 pickups, 2 tone and 2 vol. knobs, black pickguard (I got alpine white), 3-way toggle, 22 fret rosewood neck that is set into body, block inlays, Grover tuners, LP Custom head inlay. I think it's from 04 or 05 and was made in China but set up in the US. // 7

Sound: The sound of one LP is pretty much the same for the majority. Before the flamefest starts, I will say that as an LP lover, LPs sound very much alike no matter what brand, only to be dramatically changed by the type of pickup. That being said, the sound that this guitar does give is a rich, clear tone with the stock pickups sounding damn close to Burstbuckers (the Gibson ones). It is full on both pickups, and w/both pups selected, it gives a very distinct Allman Bros.-ish tone. Tone and volume knobs are very responsive to the overall tone as well. I'm gonna change the bridge pup for a little more gain and raunchyness though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I tried it in the store, the action was amazing. Not too low, not too high, minimal fret buzz. After about a week though I took it to a tech for a set-up. Sure enough, the intonation was off and he even tightened the tuners (a big help). It now plays 10x better after that set-up. But so does every guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As the majority of players know, even drummers, there is no such thing as a light LP. Literaly Bullet-proof. But, that heft gets you: insane amounts of abuse can be taken, sustain that lasts for days with no vibrato and an extremely solid-feel and that is always nice. It may take a little while to tune, but it refuses to go out once it's there. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is phenominal. As my first real LP, I can't get enough of it. If somebody stole it, I would probably cry and then never stop searching until I found it again, then rip off the balls of the dude that did it and put molten lead down their throats. Me trying to be funny aside, I can't speak enough of it. If oyu are in a store and you see an Epiphone LP that does not sound that good or play that good I beg you to ask to see another one. These guitars will not let you down. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: shane-c, on february 12, 2007

Purchased from: petercooks.co.uk

Features: This guitar was made in 2006 in Korea, It has 22 jumbo frets and it has a rosewood fingerboard. The body is made from mahogany while the nack is maple (I think). The finish is a nice glossy black with a cream binding. The fingerboard also has nice mother-of-pearl style block fret inlays. The style is a Singlecut of course. It has a very stable Tune-O-Matic bridge and has all the usual Les Paul stuff like 4 controls and a toggle. It also comes with grover tuners which are very easy to use and very stable. // 10

Sound: My style is a bluesy rock and metal style and this guitar suits it beautifully. Pretty much all genres and styles can be accomedated on this guitar. The sound is generally thick and bassy with a good tone which is great sounding. The neck pickup can seem a little muddy under high gain and takes a lot of Precision and practice to get a clear bright sound from it. The bridge pickup is pretty good but overall the pickups are unremarkable. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The fit and finish is pretty damn good for a guitar of this price. The action was a little high for my liking but this was easily sorted. The pickups work well together and I have yet to find a fault with the construction of the guitar. The frets were a little scratchy when I first got this guitar but that was probably from sitting in storage for months at a time and not the manufacturer's fault. The nut is great and well cut and there is absolutely no issues with the switches and hardware. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is well laminated and is up to the rigures of gigging. The strap buttons are only mediocre so I would reccomend locking straps if you gig regularly. The hardware is chrome and will not rust in our lifetime! With care this guitar should last longer than you do. // 10

Overall Impression: I play buesy rock and metal and as I said before this guitar suits all genres and styles. I have been playing for nearly two years now and this guitar is great. I also own a Tanglewood rock 3 and a Marshall MG30DFX. If it was stolen I would gladly buy this guitar again. I love it's versatility and thick tone but if you play professionally or have the cash, I would recommend some aftermarket pickups. I don't like the fact that the lamination of the guitar is a little too thick and gives the guitar a slightly plastic feel. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: XVentura, on march 21, 2007

Purchased from: Music Concept

Features: Made in Korea, 2004. 22 frets. Alpine White. Tune-O-Matic bridge with active electronics. 2 volume and 2 tone knobs for the bridge and neck pickup, with a 3-way selector. Seems it's Grover tuners as well, good stuff. Got a gig bag, a cable and 4 free picks as extras. // 8

Sound: Fantastic clean sound. I played it through an 100W Fender, sounded amazing clean and distorted (Boss DS-1 Distortion). However, at home, I play it through the Fender Frontman 15G, and well, every guitar sounds nearly the same on this absolutely shitty amp. I play rock, a bit of metal and quite a bit of Indie. I changed my stock pickups to Seymour Duncans as well ('59 for the neck and JB for the bridge). They're a bit too aggressive for Indie but absolutely perfect for any other kind of rock. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was setup nicely but there's a bit of fret buzz, which I'm going to take care of soon. Pickups were shite, which is why I changed them for Seymour Duncans. No flaws with the guitar. Looks amazing. The guitar was set-up fine (as mentioned), the pickup height was nice and produced a really nice sound but still, when you can exchange them for a pair of Seymours, you do. No arguing with that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes it's good for gigging. Reliable as f--k. Finish is awesome and should last for quite a bit, and even if the gold finish doesn't last, that's not really a big deal. This guitar will be with me for many years to come. I wish there was a way to preserve the finish because it seriously looks good. // 10

Overall Impression: I like this guitar quite a lot, suits the type of music I like to play. I've been playing for a year, so not really a long time. This is my first electric guitar (so don't trust me too much). However, I've played other guitars and well, this one is good, especially compared to the Epi LP Standard. Great first or second guitar, that's for sure. After upgrading the electronics, this guitar is amazing. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 02, 2007

Features: Not sure of year, made in Korea. 22 large-ish frets on a chunky neck, rosewood fretboard and it's a shorter scale length, 24.75". I do believe this guitar has a mahogany body with a maple top, very heavy anyways. Glossy black finish with gold hardware (very pretty). Tune-O-Matic bridge and passive PUs. Neck and bridge Epi humbuckers with 2 vol 2 tone and 3-way selector but you knew that anyway. Non-locking Grover tuners and I got a case thrown in. // 8

Sound: I play a wide range of styles and it will fit most but seems best at the heavy end of things ie classic to hard rock, metal, blues. I'm using it with my trusty PodXT Live as I am between amps. Hardly any noise on all but the most distorted of settings but I think that's more the fault of the POD rather than the Epi. Quite a rich mellow sound at the neck and a brighter sound at the bridge. You can get cleans out of it but it sounds best through a Vintage overdrive or distortion setting. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't had to adjust anything, action nice and low etc. I haven't tinkered with the PUs yet but they seem ok. I haven't noticed any flaws in the finish but I have found the 1st string does get caught under the 5th fret occasionally and the socket comes loose also. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar should easily withstand live playing, built like a tank. I've knocked it several times and not a scratch. Hardware seems good. Strap buttons are nice and large but due to the large weight of the guitar I would recommend a wide strap and some strap-locks. I would use a more expensive guitar if I was gigging but I would always have a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: It is perfect for my style, although jumping to 11s from 9s was a challenge. I've been playing 3 or 4 years to quite a good Standard. My previous guitar was a Yammie Pacifica. If some git stole it I would probably buy a different guitar just to have something different. I love the finish and being able to play GN'R, Led Zep etc properly. I wish I could get single coil tones out of it but that's what you buy a Strat for. I compared it with an Ibanez (I think it was an S series) but I was taken with the nicer finish and more Vintage tone of this. It ain't perfect but it is a very nice guitar for the price, better than many more expensive options out there. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Coil_Tapped, on july 10, 2007

Purchased from: Professional Musician's Center of Des Moines

Sound: This guitar is definitely made for those Who want a more rich tone. I'm a bit of a mellow player, comparative style to Joe Satriani, Dan The Man, and Carlos Santana. The rhythm pickup that came with it was VERY warm and mellow. And when I say warm, I mean that even with a metal distortion and a little reverb, you can get some very pretty tones out of it, it's not a shredding machine, more like something that the effect junkies out there will love. The bridge pickup actually surprised me. I actually thought about not changing it out. The distortion is absolutely gorgeous on that pickup, somewhat punchy, with a very throaty mid. Metal players may not like this too much, but any other sort of distortion wizard will love it. In clean is where this guitar really shines. The rhythm sounds like some of your higher end PRS guitars, very hard sound to explain, but it's very rich and the chording sounds really good, considering it has such a full tone. The bridge pickup in clean is what will get a lot of you funk and ska players worked up. Every note is punctual and clear, definitely required for anybody Who uses a wah. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up on the action and truss rod were my biggest complaints with this guitar. They totally just threw out random string-to-fingerboard measurements with every string. one would be 1/32 of an inch off, another would be 3/64, and still another would be 1/16. Very annoying! It took me forever to measure and gauge them just right. Plus, the truss rod was barely securing anything! That was a good 40 minutes. But in the end, I set it up the way I wanted. The finish, wow, it far outshines almost any other finish I own or have ever played. Gibson should use this paint job more, that way I can get my 335 prettied up without having to spend on the paint job. But I truly love this paint job, especially for my classier gigs. I'm just giving it a 7 because I believe the factory could have saved me a little trouble in adjustments. Fix those and this guitar is a real Beauty! // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, for any of you little dudes out there, is very heavy, which is expected of most Les Pauls, but it seemed to me this one was especially heavy. Don't get me wrong, that meant that the sustain was beautiful, but it can get very old swinging that thing around for a 3 hour stage performance. Especially when you have a broken Strap-lok. It should outlive me, that's for sure. Very solid, and the bridge (which I usually have the most problems with in a guitar) is burried in this thing. Really deep. which makes tweeking or modding with it very difficult. But it really is a very good guitar that should last you a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: So I'm on to year 6 in my playing, and I'm starting to realize what kind of a guitarist I want to be. This has taken a very long time, but my Les Paul has ridden it out with me. I own an Austin Strat (if you play funk, buy this guitar), my Epi Paul, and my Gibson ES-335. Now, my music is varried alot, and I mean a lot. Satriani-esque major and natural minor chorus lines, all the way to transposed Pan Flute music. Each of these 3 guitars contributes to every song I play in some way, one that's quick and punchy (my Austin), my Epi (for the sad, slower, more minor and harmonic movements), and the 335 (a good balance between the other two.) My single pedals and my PodXT make this baby sing, and I know I'd buy it again for sure. I suggest that if you are very technical and are looking for a "perfect sound", then this guitar is great. It has all the features of a Gibson, and is easily customizable. I mean, I changed the pickups, tuners, glow-gobbed the inlays (putting a permanent glow-in-the-dark finish on them), modified the bridge with a small pully system to work out a sound that replicates bending. So know that you can, literally, turn this guitar into anything you want. So, if you don't have the money for a Gibson, buy this. If you do have the money for the Gibson, by this anyway, because it'll be cheaper to have Gibson equip put in it anyway than buying a Gibson. Don't worry about the logo. Most people have no idea what the difference is anyway! // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Cheeseus36000, on july 12, 2007

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: I think it was made in 1998 and crafted in Korea but I'm prety sure that the parts were made in the U.S. 22 thin frets are a abit tricky for really technical playing especially if you want to get really high up the fret board. Laminated top unlike the real Gibson model. It a 100% official copy so all the specs are the same. Locking stop bar and tune-O-matic bridge. Obviously like every other Gibson/Epiphone it has a thre-way selector Switch. The Grover tuners keep the guitar in tune really well. // 9

Sound: I play plenty of glam and Indie and it suits the style exceptionally well. I'm currently using a Line 6 Spider III and the humbuckers sound great especially on the rock solo setting. without distortion the treble sound is a bit raunchy but the rhythm pickup is soft but rich and warm. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was perfectly setup in the factory at least I think it was (it was second hand when I had it). The pickups are all in line and the guitar was bookmatched properly and the bridge was routed porperly also. It doesn't contain any flaws except for a scratch on the underside of the cutaway. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will definitley withstand Live playing (I should know, I jump and down with it in my room all the time). The pickups and hardware will last a centruy. The finish is good and will last but brass pickup covers get tarnished easily. The strap buttons are secure but continuously taking the strap on and off it can become loose easily. // 7

Overall Impression: As I said this guitar is perfect my styles (Glam and Indie), I've only being playing 19 months and it's my second guitar, I'm so pleased that I bought it. I own all sorts of gear, a Strat, Marshall MG30DFX to name a few. If it was lost or stolen I would buy another, either that or an Epiphone SG (my next investment). My favourite feature is the humbuckers. I can't really compare it to anything because it's in a class of it's own. The only thing that I it had was a five way selector Switch but otherwise it's a 10/10. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: johnny-rock, on september 15, 2007

Purchased from: Leading Edge Music

Features: My custom is in alpine white with gold hardware, it's a great combination and looks awesome on stage. 22 frets with pearl inlays on a rose wood fret board. It has two Standard Epiphone humbuckers. 3-way selector Switch: Treble, Rythm and midway. 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. Grover tuners. the G string seems to go out of tune quicker than the others but it's not a problem. Medium action, easy to play. Because I work at the place of purchace I got a deal of the guitar and hard case for 1000. // 9

Sound: Sounds fantastic! Great sustain. I'm into playing guns n roses, led zep, ACDC, so it's my kind of guitar. I'm going to get active electronics put in but I have nothing to complain about the Standard. I'm putting it through a Roland microcube. it's just for bedroom use but still good. I've giged it with some Ashton 100 and 80 watts through a Zakk Wylde overdrive pedal and it sounded awesome! It's got a warm full sound on rhythm and a good strong lead sound on treble which I always use for soloing or lead work. good variety of sounds from clean to heaps of gain. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the guitar was in great condition when I bought it. of course as with most Epiphones, there are some tiny finishing flaws but they are deffinately not noticable, only if your looking for them. The G-string seems to go out of tune quicker and with more difference than the others but it's not a problem. great action, easy to play. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank. I've giged it and gone nuts and it stayed together fine. No loose knobs or Switch. when I got it I got straplocks put on. One of the locks didn't stay in that well but I got the hole filled in and redrilled and glued so it's fine now. I've knocked it a couple of times and there were no dints or scratches. I'd gig it without a backup, but I'm paranoid so I always carry spare strings and am tuning it every 5 mins. // 9

Overall Impression: for my style of Gunners, ACDC, Led Zep it's perfect. I've been playing for 6 years and started teaching this year. I also just joined a bad with some mates. I used to have a Yamaha pacifica which was a good guitar which I had no problems with, but it was time to move up. If it were stolen I'd track down and kill whoever stole it and then maybe try to upgrade to a Gibson. But I would deffinately miss it. The white and gold looks fantastic on stage with all the lights. it leaves rival guitarists in envy. When I was buying it I was also considering a Les Paul Standard and an SG. but ther were some extra little flaws in those guitars and I wasn't willing to risk that, so I just paid the bit extra for a more reliable and better looking guitar. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: nariek, on november 08, 2007

Features: This guitar has a 22 jumbo fret fat made out of Rosewood neck with pearl block inlays. My one is glossy black which really makes the gold hardware pop! The body is mahogany which means it isn't too heavy. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge which is easily adjusted and grover tuners which stays in tune very well. There are 2 volume and 2 tone knobs; one set for each gold, Alnico pickup and there is also a 3-way switch. // 9

Sound: It definitely suits my styles, which are hard rock and metal. The les paul has an awesome distortion which is less crunchy than my SG but has a lot more tone which really brings out the distortion hard! I run mine through a microcube I'm currently looking for Marshall for gigs, instead having to borrow mates. Not noisy at all and the type of cable you use does make a difference so if Epiphone give you a cable with your guitar invest in a high quality one, it really does make a difference. It doesn't have the bright sound which you would find on a Strat, but you shouldn't expect that when buying a Les Paul on rhythm setting the tone is so full and rich it's just awesome. The Treble setting does have more definition but does lose some of the richness, so that's why I just have it on Rhythm all the time. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was a sufficiently set up from the factory, but as I do with all my guitars I got it set up by my tech, now it plays low and very comfortably. The pickups were perfectly adjusted, no problems there. Everything was nice and shiny and superbly fitted. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar will and has stood up to Live playing as long as you have a strong enough strap. The hardware has not tarnished yet and I have had it for 3 years, shows the quality. I would use it without a back up for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: It is a perfect match for me I love it to bits, and so do the girls. It's one out of 8 and it definitely is the prettiest. I've beeen playin for 3 years and it would take too long to list wat else I have so check out the pics on mi profile. If it was stolen I would definitely get the same model but maybe in white because of Frank Iero. I love the contrast of the body colour and the hardware! // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: LesPaulCowboy, on november 14, 2007

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The Les Paul Custom is a great guitar. Mine was made just last year. The neck is thin and you can wrap your hands around it. The frets are big trapazoid pearl inlays. I do know the neck is a maple neck, and the body I do not know what wood it is. The bridge is a chrome tune-o-matic, the finish is a transparent with a Vintage sunburst. The given controls are you treble volume, and rythum volume, treble level, and rythum level. It also gives you the Switch to use only one humbucker at a time (top is rythum, center is both, and bottom is treble) The pickups are humbucker, 57's style humbuckers. My guitar came with just a cable and needed tools. // 10

Sound: The Les Paul Custom suits my style of play. I mostly play older rock, from late 60's early 70's. I also use it to play Johnny Cash. The guitar gives a real good tone, and stuff, by just tweaking it, using the rythum and treble knobs on the guitar. A flip of the selector switch, to rythum, gives you the nice warm feel of country, which lets you play a lot of Johnny Cash songs real well. While on the Treble you get the nice string sound that The Ventures made. The guitar lets you make a good variety of sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar came from the factory, as a referbished one, something about the wiring, and it had newer more expensive internals. It came with no blimishes or anything on it, and it was practicaly in tune, I just had to adjust it up or down a little. The humbuckers are great, and I have never had a problem. They pickup what needs to be picked up. The only problem I had is the strap button up front, wants to unloosen it's self and I have to tighten it, but I have been told by others who play guitar like I do, that it happens. I have found no flaws, and it's a great guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand Live playing, and there is no need for a backup. Unless you are playing like some super heavy metal. The hardware is good, heavy chromed hardware. The strap buttons are good, but that's the flaw with mine, the one up front it likes to unscrew sometimes. But nothing major. But rember mine is referbished. The finish is superb, and should last until I die. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play older rock, and Johnny Cash. This guitar does all I need plus more. When I hook up my CryBaby pedal and my Crate Flexwave15R amp, I am ready to jam. I have had the guitar for about a month now, and it is a great guitar. I have thrashed it, and it still stands up. I looked into other les pauls, and other epiphones, but I figured out threw reasoning, that this guitar was the best guitar I could get for my money. If it were stolen, I would go out and beat the SOB Who stole it from me, I would hate to have to buy another one. I love it there is nothing I would really change. I wish it had a third humbucker in the middle, but that is not needed, and I am extremly happy with what I got. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: the_guy, on december 12, 2007

Purchased from: nevada music

Features: 22 frets, mahogany body, rosewood fretboard, Les Paul shape (obviously), 2 Epiphone humbucker pickups, gold hardware, 3 way pickup selector, a volume an tone knob for each pickup, all finished in alpine white, a stunning looking guitar. No accesories included. // 9

Sound: I play anything from Indie to shred and anything in between, and this guitar is perfect for pretty much all styles. I'm using it with a Marshall MG15 practise amp, garbage I know but this guitars quality still shines through, I was lucky enough to play this through both a Laney VC15 valve amp and a Marshall JVM half stack and this guitar shone through both. This guitar has a very full and rich sound. On clean, I can get incredible warm jazz tones on the neck pickup and with the treble pickup selected, a nice jangly tone reminiscent of Oasis and Manic Street Preachers, a design for life. The sound can get a little muddy on this selection, but I barely use the treble pickup for cleans, because I have found the best clean sound of them all. When I select the middle option on the pickup selector (which combines both pickups) I get the most amazing clean sound. It's incredible, sweet, warm, bassy and the high end just shimmers, in some ways it's better than a Fender clean, more warmth and body. However the sound of this guitar is a little too dense for styles such as funk and Indie, so the Fenders are better for that. On to distortion. It's a Les Paul, the sustain is unbelievable, play a note and it will ring for what seems like days. The bite and clarity of the treble pickup excels for any form of rock, classic rock, even metal, and with the rhythm pickup, I get a very sweet solo tone that cuts through and stands out with incredible sustain. This pickup however, I find very muddy for rhythm playing, despite being the rhythm pickup, so I would maybe swap out this pickup for a Bareknuckle Mule or another pickup. The good thing about Les Pauls is that they are very easy to modify, if you want to enhance or have a different sound, then it's easy to do so. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was very well setup, the action was perfect, on the low side but I like that. All parts were aligned properly, the pickups were perfectly adjusted. The finish was beautiful and there were no imperfections; the neck was straight and true, for the price, I cannot fault it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very heavy but very durable, I accidently knocked it on a wooden table and it did no damage whatsoever. I have had no problems with electronics but I shouldn't really. The finish is very thick, which adds to the weight but also the beauty of the instrument. The strap buttons don't seem to be too solid so they might need replacing as the strap has come off a couple of times to my shock, but this can be easily resolved. This could do a gig without a backup but I use other guitars for different sounds anyway. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 2 years and own a Yamaha Pacifica but have played other gear, such as Mexican Fender Strats and Teles, Jaguars, and even a Gibson Les Paul. This guitar is perfect for my music as it is so versatile, and for the price, the quality cannot be faulted. If it were stolen I would buy this again definitely, because I think this guitar is great quality for the money. I love the way it does both clean and distortion so well. The neck pickup is a bit muddy, but what do you expect, it's not an 1000+ guitar. It doesn't sound exactly like a proper Gibson, but it's close, and is much better value for money. I bought this guitar because I like and needed the Les Paul sound to add to my rig. I compared it to a Fender Standard Stratocaster (nice, but I have a Yamaha Pacifica which pretty much gives the same sort of sound at a slightly lower quality) and a Fender Standard Telecaster (ok but nowhere near as good as the American), but I chose this mainly because I have a Strat copy, so I wanted a guitar with humbuckers. I wish I had tried out the PRS SE range, but I prefer the look of the Epiphone. Overall this guitar is fantastic as a second guitar, and it can be used for gigs and recording too and sound great. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: king_nothing_91, on january 21, 2008

Purchased from: Soundcontrol

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Custom started in 2003 and was hand crafted in china. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard, a mahogany body and set mahogany neck which gives extra sustain. The finish I got mine in is alpine white and it looks amazing. It has a volume and tone control to each pickup and grover tuners. with mine I got a gig bag aswell. // 9

Sound: the original pickups which were Epiphone designed and had alnico magnets were great for blues (neck) and rock (bridge) but my main style of music is metal/trash to I replace them with em 81/85 set. I play through a Marshall mg series half stack and it sounds very crunchy and heavy which is great for metal. the original pickups were great and had a bright sound in the bridge position and a more rich sound in the neck position. They would be great for anyone that plays more classic rock like led zep, Bon Jovi etc. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything one the guitar was pretty much perfect when I got it nothing was broke or lose and the action was right. The pickups were well adjusted. However there is some bad paint work around where the body meets the neck. other than that it was spot on there was nothing lose or nothing where it shouldn't be. // 9

Reliability & Durability: In my band we've been gigging a lot and recording lately and the guitar with stands this very well. the hardware is still solid, no signs of losening, however I would put strap locks on asap as the Standard ones on the guitar don't hold. I always take a backup to a gig but know in my mind I wont need it. The finish on the guitar looks very durable and that it would last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Since fitting the new EMG's it sounds like a very early Metallica/Maiden/Slayer sound which is great for the music I play. I've been playing almost 3 years now and also own a Jackson KVX10 with seymour duncans which is by backup guitar and although it's brill, the les paul is just so much better. If this guitar were stolen I'd definitely get another. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: blaze2thekings, on january 24, 2008

Purchased from: guitar cntr

Features: Overall great setup, but the volume pots sucks as there is only on and off, no difference between the 2. The pickups are great for stock, but in my case new ones are needed to get those harmonics. It stay in tune well and all the pots roll nice and smooth, and still do actually. The finish was all white with cream binding, all mahogany, and it's new so made probably 2006 to now or so. // 6

Sound: I play everything. I put down hooks over my friends beats and I just like to jam to whatever song comes on the radio for hours. I prefer the beefy sound compared to a Strat. I have it through mostly Vox and Marshall amps and heads. The pickups are quiet but occasionally I get a constant buzz around some electric equipment, which my active pups in another don't produce. Overall the tone slices and there's great sustain, works well for whatever you want. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I used to like the slimmer Ibanez necks, but now I'm used to the wider neck of a LP or SG or anthing similar. The frets were even much smoother than some of my Ibanezs. The action, bridge, etc etc, is all preference so blah. The finish is great however the cream binding does kinda standout as factory made on the body portion so an 8 instead of a 9. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Thick as a brick. It's got gold hardware that I know wont last because it's obviously not solid gold so in about 2 months it will be a dull chrome, but that's ok because I plan to change it anyway. The strap buttons need replacing, but I usually do anyway. My finish is just white which I purposely got so I wouldn't obsess over wiping prints off all day. // 8

Overall Impression: I been through many guitars, from Fenders, to Ibanez, to Agile, to Jackson, to Epiphones, to Deans, to PRS, and others. It plays very well, as far as playability it's great and it's feels like a Gibson however, it doesnt't sound nearly like a Gibson or look like a Gibson because they have much better quality woods and the finish would usually be no less than 100% perfect (assuming a new Gibson). I always liked the looks of the custom more than a Standard, probably the block inlays, which I believe are the only difference in epiphones standards and customs, because they sure as hell sound the same. So if price is an issues get a Standard. But overall this thing has beauty and with the Gibson 500T, and 490 it's a 6-string razor. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: KingNando, on january 24, 2008

Purchased from: Steve Forrest Music

Features: I believe this guitar to be made in late 2004, in Korea. It has 22 Jumbo frets, with a contour top. Both the body and the Neck are constructed of Mahogany, with a rosewood fingerboard, which has block style inlays. The finish is a solid ebony, a.k.a black. The guitar has the famed Les Paul body shape, with a Tune-O-Matic bridge and HardTail stop piece. The electronics are all passive, with 4 controls, 2 volumes, and 2 tones, as well as your selector switch. The pickup configuration is a dual humbucker layout. The tuners the guitar came with are Grover, 3 a side, and non locking. Included were a poster, a warranty card, some styrofoam, and a cardboard box. // 9

Sound: I play heavy metal. With a change of pickups, this guitar suits my playing extremely well. I left the original Alnico neck humbucker in the guitar, because I'm in love with the way it sounds, clean or dirty. I use this guitar with an Ashton GA100H solid state half stack and no effects. When I got the guitar, it was very hard to play Heavy Metal with, due to the microphonic feedback produced by the bridge and neck humbuckers, so I had the bridge humbucker replaced. I always play with the gain set above 4 o'clock, treble max, and mid at 11 o'clock. The sound of the guitar, even with the humbucker change, is very good. It sounds very heavy, but can be bright with a change of settings, and takes distortion a little better now. This guitar is also great for bluegrass and country music. You can roll back the volume, put on a straw hat and you'll be jamming along to some Lynyrd Skynyrd in no time. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, it was set up immaculately. All I did was lower the action by a small amount. It was pretty much great the way it was, I just prefer very low action. The pickups were also adjusted perfectly, and I did not bother to re-adjust them after lowering the action, because I didn't feel I needed to, as it sounded great the way it was. Why fix it if it ain't broke right? Upon purchasing the guitar, I found few to no flaws. Apart from a roughly cut nut, everything was as it should have been. Intonation was perfect, Truss rod seemed perfectly adjusted, and the electronics were in top shape. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Any Les Paul player will tell you that it's hard to bring down one of these beauties in a Live situation, provided the strap buttons do their job! I have played many gigs with my Les Paul, never have I encountered any problems directly related to the guitar. The hardware has lasted and remained stable, although it is fairly rusted and oxidised now, even with regular cleaning. I did'nt trust the strap buttons that were supplied with the guitar, as I rarely ever keep Standard strap buttons. They did not seem solid, and appeared rather small, so I replaced them with a set of Dunlop strap locks. I always depend on this guitar, both in a live setting, and at band rehearsals, and I have used this guitar many times without a backup at hand, and it has never let me down. After a year and a half of rough playing, being hit with the headstocks of band mate's guitars, and getting it's fair share of sweat dropped upon it, the finish on the Les Paul still stands strong. There are close to no scratches on the front of the body. However, as with most guitars, the back of the body has a nice case of buckle rash, but this is hardly an issue. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal music, and with a pickup change, I have no doubt that any guitar player Who plays the same style of music would be satisfied with this guitar. I have been playing guitar for over 4 years now, and own an Ibanez RGR421, a Washburn X40, and an Ashton GA100H half stack, among other equipment. I didn't need to ask any questions when buying this guitar, as there wasn't really too much left to ask by the time the salesman has his way with me. If the guitar were lost or stolen, provided I was unable to retrive it, there is no doubt in my mind that I would get another as soon as humanly possible. I love this guitar to death, there isnt too much not to love about it. The only thing I can say that I hate about it, is that the hardware has begun to rust, and it is very noticeable, after less than 2 years of play time. I plan to replace the gold hardware with black Gibson replacement parts. My favourite feature of this guitar is the sound. It is very rich and chunky, just what I love in a guitar. When I purchased this guitar, I had my heart set on a Les Paul. I had been wanting to get a hold of one of those sweet lookin', round love machines for months. The only other guitars I compared it to were the other Les Paul models the shop had in stock, and I had a choice between lower end Epiphone Les Pauls, or a $4000 Gibson Les Paul. Had my budget been 2 to 3 times as much as I had, I would have gone for the Gibson. I coulnd't really wish for more than I got, as I am pretty much satisfied. I have only played 2 Gibson Les Pauls, and I believe that this is right up there with them. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2008

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Custom is awesome! It has 22 Rosewood frets, a curved, mahogany body, and a solid finish. Though it doesnt't have a "go crazy, wailing away, in your face" tremolo system, it has a simple to use stopbar (that is locking). Besides, it is much easier to change strings with! It has "Alnico classic" pickups which I'm pretty sure are Epiphone company pickups, but don't let the name fool you, these are really good stock pickups! Unless you really, and I mean really like pinch harmonics, then you might want to swap them out for EMG's, like Zakk Wylde. For everything else, they are fine. The guitar also has a 3-way selector switch (mine is loose, but still perfect working condition), and non-locking Grover tuners. They kind of piss me off, because they seem like they don't "catch the strings". So you tune up, then make a pretty big bend, and it's almost like you pull the string right out of tune! It alright though. // 9

Sound: I play mostly classic rock(led zeppelin), hard rock (Van Halen, Alice In Chains), and metal (Pantera, Ozzy). I play this guitar through a Peavey 5150 when I'm jamming, and a Marshall MG15CD when I am just playing by myself, and it sounds awesome! Except when my Marshall's gain is up to 10, which is almost never happening, there is no noise at all. You can really play anything from jazz to death metal with this guitar, and it's sounds good for every genre! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set-up was fine, and the pickups were good also, but I am weird, so right when I got it, I raised the bridge pickup a little bit. The Only negative thing about the factory set-up, is the 3-way selctor switch, it's became very loose, and it's really annoying when it's off to the side! Also, the binding on the body is a beautiful cream color, but the binding along the neck is more like white, it's just didn't fir the guitar, but it's still sexy! // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is fine with playing live, just change strings every couple of weeks. I play 2 hours a day, and I use D'addario XL10's, and I only change my strings every month. The hardware seems fine, but the nut is cheap looking. I want to replace it with a graphtech soon. The strap buttons were fine, but I screwed in Dunlop Strap-loks myself, and they are awesome. The finish is very nice for a solid color of a guitar, but the abrasive effect of my denim jeans make small little marks on the back, but then again, who is really looking a t the back? // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 2 years, and I am only 14 years old. I also have an Ibanez RG350DX, and I am thinking of selling it, for another Epiphone, maybe a Flying V! If it was stolen, I absolutley would buy it again, but maybe in white (I have it in the black). I compared it to a Gibson Les Paul Custom (not that I was willing to spend that much, but I wanted to Compare), and this one, I like just as much! The only difference is that the Gibson is heavier (better sustain), and It has better stock pickups. But I would rather have this, and put an extra $300 to get better pickups and call it a Gibson! // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 27, 2008

Purchased from: Music and arts center

Features: My custom was built in 2007. It is the alpine white edition. It has a mahogany body and neck with rosewood fingerboard. It has binding all around the body and on the fretboard (no aesthetic flaws either. kudos to Epiphone.) Not sure what to call the finish. The pickups that come with it are passive Epiphone pickups which sounded absolutely great. I however wanted to try EMGs and slapped an 81 and 85 in. it sounds great now and if you can afford it it's a cool look and sound. It has grover tuners and holds tuning well. It has a 3 way selector for the pickups. 2 volume and 2 tone controls. It weighs about 10 pounds as well. // 10

Sound: The sound on this guitar is heavy and full which is great for rock and metal which is aided by the emg's. I play rock, metal, classical, and jazz. It gets great jazz tones if you roll the tone of to zero on either pickup. I am using a line six spider 3 30 watt and the Boss OD-20 and SD-1. It sounds great now and is my main axe for it's thick penetrating sounds. It is ridiculously warm and rich. I can't believe how great it sounds for 600 bucks. I would not use it for country though. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The one thing wrong with this guitar (but is easily remedied) is the setup. You know how sometimes one of your frets seem like it's dead. Imagine nothing on every fret. I had to raise the action a great amount and then intonate it. The pickups were set up good but I changed the screws height for preference. No finish flaws. Nice nut height and no binding so far. The buzz may discourage any young beginners though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is a tough guitar. No scratches so far and does not dent easily. I replaced the strap buttons to Dunlop strap locks the day I got it because I wont take chances with it, so I don't know how good the buttons are and I can't tell you. I would definitely use it without a backup because unless you get mad at it and throw it out of a building, it will be fine. The finish seems fine and I don't see it fading any time soon. // 10

Overall Impression: Les Pauls are very versatile and I would use it for anything that needs heavy distortion or a nice clean. I would definitely replace it if it was stolen. I got it because I wanted a custom and I chose white because of Randy Rhoads. Nothing wrong with it and is a great investment. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: 121lespaul, on april 17, 2008

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Custom is made in Epiphone's Chinese factory. It has 22 frets with a 24.75" scale with a nut width of 1.68". The neck itself is a set mahogany neck with Rosewood-block inlays. The body is a Mahogany Body with gold hardware. It has a single thick single cutaway body which gives a sustain like no other. Like most Les Paul's this one comes with a Tune-O-Matic Bridge. This comes with 1 Volume and 1 tone for each pickup. The Pickups are 2 classic alnico humbuckers. The custom comes with Grover tuners which have only made me happy with keeping it in tune there is no slipping what'soever that I have found it came with the usual cable and a couple picks. // 10

Sound: I play classic rock with a twist of Randy Rhoads and I couldn't have asked for a more perfect guitar for this sound. I push everything through a Boss GT-8 and then through a 1968 Fender Princeton Tube Amp and the sound that comes through this combination is totally amazing! When on your rhythm setting with the tone knob all the way to 10 it's a little blah for me can't really hear all the strings when strumming it all just blends together and sounds kinda muddy but other than that it sounds amazing! I have played everything from country to blues, blues to rock, and rock to metal and haven't wished for another guitar any of those times this really does have an amazing sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I like my action somewhat medium and that's how it comes from the factory medium and I haven't even touched it since it just feels great right out of the box! I lowered my pickups a little because they were a little to close for my liking but I have friends that have left them how they are and it still sounds great. The bridge was perfect no need to adjust that I haven't touched it to this day. Like most guitars I've had the output adapter was a little loose but that took about 2 seconds to tighten. Other than that this guitar was ready for a show right out of the box. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Epiphone Les Paul Custom could be sent to hell and back and still not lose any tone what so ever! This guitar can take a beating and not even show it. With Grover tuners and alnico pickups this baby is built to last. I don't see me changing anything anytime soon. The strap buttons will keep tis guitar from falling it's a little heavy but the buttons will hold it up with out a worry! The only reason I would use a backup is for string breaks. If they made strings that wouldn't break I wouldn't ever buy another guitar! this finish has withstood hours upon hours of continuous playing and still looks Brand New the black finish does show fingerprints easily tho. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a big fan of Slash and Randy Rhoads I think they are amazing and this guitar couldn't be better for this style of playing! I have been Playing for about 2 years now, and I own a Boss GT-8 Multi effects pedal and a 1968 Fender Princeton Tube amp. that's my main setup my other gear is in my profile if you want to check it out. I played this guitar for weeks before I bought it I was constantly at guitar center hooking up to different amps and different pedals and trying other guitars and this is the one I fell in love with! I couldn't be happier about it! This guitar is my baby through and through I would defiantly buy another but it wouldn't have the feel as the one I have does it's been with me through a lot of different situations. But if it were stolen and I found it I'd feel sorry for the person who had it because I'd be leaving with it in my hands again! I love everything about this guitar! The only thing that could be better is the rhythm pickup on 10 for the tone I just wish it was a tiny bit brighter. my favorite feature is the treble pickup on 5 for tone I love the sound that comes from it! At the time I had an Ibanez RG350DX and this blows that guitar out of the world! I also compared it to a Epiphone '50s style and the pickups just didn't have that Les Paul crunch. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: wrighty2012, on may 29, 2008

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

Features: Mine was made in 2007 in japn I think. the on I purchased has the Standard 24.75inch scale length and has 22 frets. this came with the maple top and mahogany back and both are perfect with the 5ply binding. has the tune-o-matic stopbar and stud tailpiece. as with most les pauls it has the passive electronics. // 10

Sound: I Play all types of music from jazz to metal blitzes all the style. with distortion the note definition is awesome. I've played and heard a Gibson and there's no difference. I play this through a Vox AD30VT and on every setting this shines. as for hum there's non what so ever it plays great and sounds great too. As for variety of sounds this will take on anything. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on mine was medium high but manageable it just takes ten minuites if less to adjust to this and all is forgiven. the pickups were set just right as was the intonation making harmonics rich and full. Top was bookmatched but this can't be seen as it is a solid colour. The finish was perfect with not a single flaw an all round brilliant build. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This will withstand Live playing extremely well and I dropped it onece and there wasn't a scratch on the thing it's a tank for the hard rocker. the hardware will last as it wears nicely to a somewhat steve jones-esque wear it looks so much better when worn. The strap buttons had to be relaced for locking ones as these werent that strong. You don't need a backup with this I was playing for an hour Live and the tuning didn't move. the finish is moderatly thich and will last very well. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is very impressive. perfect for all types of music easily. I also own a VOXAD30VT with the VFS2 Footswitch. I don't regret buying this one bit it's just right for larger hands. If this was stolen I would cry but I would by another one the second I knew it was stolen. What can't you love about it 100% awesome. I compared this to a Gibson Les Paul Standard an Epiphone G400 and an Ibanez RG. This just sounded the best. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 23, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Sound: Good God is this thing amazing! I play a pretty wide variety of music, including classic rock, metal, punk, and blues. I stick mostly to punk and metal. This guitar has extremely versatile tone. It has all the tone you will need and then some. You can put the tone way up for sound brighter than the sun, or drop it down for some really warm stuff. I havn't really found the need to put it on either extreme, but if I ever need to go further in either direction, I know I will always have room. And with seperate tone knobs for the bridge and neck pickups, anything is possible. I play this using a Fender amp. It sounds pretty good on the clean channels. Crystal clear. But the distortion is where this baby really blows you away. This thing is monstrous! It has such a strong sound to it. It sounds like a guitar that can't be stopped. Sound is full and rich. And the sustain is phenomenal. Will resonate forever. Very little buzz from the pickups. You will notice it if you are trying to listen for it, but these things are pretty stealth otherwise. If I could give this an 11 I would. The sound says "I'm here and there ain't nothing you can do about it!" // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came pretty well setup. Not perfect, but pretty well. My only real complaint is that the action on the lower end was a little low, so my sixth string was buzzing, but that was easy to take care of. And everybody has their own preference for action, so it is hard to knock them for it. There was some binding at the nut, but nothing a little lube couldn't take care of. Pickups were extremely well balanced. I did have to raise them on the lower end a little, but that is only becouse I raised the action on that end. Finish is amazing! I never get tired of looking at this guitar. The black finish has so much depth. I am very paranoid about wear and tear on the finish, so I am always making sure to keep it very clean, but it hides fingerprints and other dirt pretty well. The black and gold give it a "classy" look. Everything else is in excelent condition. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank! I havn't giged with it yet, but I am by no means nice when I play it. There is no doubt that this guitar can withstand live playing. I would gig with it without a backup. The hardware isn't just on the guitar, it is part of the guitar. Whatever happens, the hardware isn't going anywhere. The gold hardware does seem like it will tarnish slightly if you let it go for a long time. But if you take any kind of care of it at all, it shouldn't be a problem. I haven't seen any waer on the finish yet. It is very solid. I almost droped it once, but cought it by the neck. Unfortunately, the body kept swinging, and the body hit the corner of my bed. I was expecting to see a huge dent, with bare wood showing. There was barely a dent on the finish, and I can't even notice it anymore unless I look for it. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 6 years, and I am far more excited about this guitar than I have been about any other peice of gear. This is definately a monster. It sounds and feels like you would think a Les Paul should. I am very impressed with its variety of sound. You can create just about any sound you want. If it were lost, I would think about getting an eletist Les Paul Custom. If I couldn't afford it, I would definetely buy this again. I think this is the best guitar for the money. It is very close to the lower end gibsons, and some might argue a little better than some of the cheaper Gibson models. Either way, it is similar quality, for a much cheaper price. I did a lot of research before buying this guitar. It out performed it's competion by a long shot. I love the 3-way pickup selector. It allows for ultimate tone control when combined with seperate volume and tone knobs for each pickup. If you are in the market for a new guitar, I would suggest giving it a try. Les Paul Custom is the way to go! // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Randomkid37, on june 30, 2008

Purchased from: Dawson's

Features: I got my Epiphone Custom from a Dawson's branch in Basingstoke. They sell loads of instruments and their guitars are average, if not, decent enough to play. Mine has 22 frets, mahogany body and neck, gold hardware and two humbucker pickups with gold covers. Four controls: two volume and two tone. Rhythm & treble 3-way switch. Mine came with a gig bag, three plectrums and spare strap buttons. // 9

Sound: I haven't actually tried it on a decent amp yet since I haven't bought one. However, when I tested it on one of the rubbish amp my school has, the bottom three strings sound distorted when I strummed them hard, but it was actually smooth when I tried playing single notes. I still think it's a versatile guitar though I still have to test it on an amp. Fingers crossed. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was, technically speaking, second-hand. The first buyer returned it because the strap button at the neck fell off, hence the free gig bag and plectrums and spare buttons. There were a couple of small scratches, too. The strings were perfectly put and the bridge was perfect. I could easily play on all the frets easily since the trings are neither too high or too low. Other than the strap button, it was great! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think my guitar could withstand anything. I've bumped it once or twice, and it's barely damaged. It seems like a pretty solid guitar, but I'd probably keep a backup guitar since I'm fairly cautious. The hardware is not solid gold, it's just gold plated and it only wears out at the place of action: the bridge, but it's barely noticeable. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, if this guitar was a person, it'd be my best buddy. It's easy to play and barely got any problems. I've only been playing for half a year (I got this as a birthday/christmas present rolled into one, plus I figured it'd probably be the only guitar I'll ever buy). I bought this because one of the guys in My Chemical Romance has one, and it works like a dream. If it were lost/stolen, I wouldn't buy another one, though I'd probably very much regret losing it. I wish it had 24 frets, but anyhoo, it's still perfect! // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: A Certain Death, on december 03, 2008

Price paid: A$ 1300

Purchased from: SF Music, Australia.

Features: This is a Korean Made Les Paul, manufactured in late 2003 I believe. It comes with 21 jumbo sized frets, on a rosewood fretboard, with a maple neck. It is a solid curved top guitar, with mahogany body and neck. It comes in a variety of colours, mine is black, with white binding, and gold hardware. The Tune-o-matic bridge and stop tail team up with passive electronics, 2 Volume pots and 2 Tone pots, Grover tuners and a dual humbuckers manufactured by Epiphone to provide a hell of a playing experience. No Accessories are included, but I DID get a poster, manual, and a FREE cardboard box! // 8

Sound: First of all, the versatility of any good Les Paul is massive, especially when you can change your pickups. Straight out of the box, you can achieve a great metal tone, sweet blues tones, and crunchy rock tones. I have had my pickups changed to the EMG 81+85 set, and they sound sweet in this baby. This combination of pickups and guitar destroy all, and paired with a Peavey 5150 half stack, nothing can beat it. I have no need for any effects at this stage, so I can't comment on it's sound with effects. At high gain levels, the original humbuckers squeal like crazy, so it is advisable to change the pickups out if you play in a band that's always cranking the gain and volume to 11. With a set of EMG's, the guitar puts out some of the best sounds I've ever heard, very full and articulate, with harmonics like a banshee. I've rated the sound at 7 because for heavy metal, you'll definately want to change the pickups. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was pretty good from what I remember, with the action being at a perfect level in Harmony with the way the humbuckers were adjusted. The top was perfectly carved, with not a single out of place dent or line, and both parts of the bridge are perfectly positioned. At time of buying, there were no flaws to speak of, what'soever. However, due to living near the ocean, some of the once beautiful golden hardware has become rusted and oxidised. though some would call this ageing, and I think it makes the guitar look distinguished. // 9

Reliability & Durability: These guitars are like tanks. They will take whatever you can throw at them. Live playing is like letting it play in a sand box. The hardware DOES last, however it is also subject to rust depending on where you Live and where you keep it. The strap buttons never had a chance to prove themselves to me, as I bought a set of Dunlop Straplocks along with the guitar, but I do still own them, and may one day use them. I have gigged with this guitar for about 3 or 4 years, without a backup guitar, and never had a problem with it, apart from a string breaking mid-set here and there. The guitar's finish has lasted superbly, with only a few dents and nicks here and there from almost 5 years of tough love. // 8

Overall Impression: I play metalcore, and with a Peavey 5150 behind you, and a set of EMGs in your les paul, you feel like a king. I've been playing for about 6 years now, and own a fair few guitars I wont bother mentioning, as well as an Ibanez RG421, and the afforementioned Peavey 5150. I asked all I could when I bought the guitar so I knew exactly what I was getting. If this guitar was lost or stolen, firstly I'd take any neccessary steps to bring justice to the fiend Who stole it. Then, I would definately go buy another one, possibly 3 more. I love everything about this guitar. The body shape, the colour of it, and the way the neck feels especially. I didn't compare it to any other products specifically, just other les pauls, and this model came out on top. it has all I need, never been a fan of tremolos. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Rjhari10, on may 29, 2009

Purchased from: Guitar Center (Allentown, PA)

Features: Epiphones are not made in USA (China I think). It has a 22 Rosewood Fretboard with Block Inlays. All Mahogany with a Set neck. I got the Alpine White finish which looks beautiful with the Gold Hardware and Gold Tuning Pegs. This goes beautifully with the two Alnico Classic Humbuckers stock. It has two volume and two tone knobs as well as the famous Les Paul 3-way pickup toggle. The black Pick Guard as a nice touch to it also. To sum it up, this guitar is a beauty! // 9

Sound: Although I play more Punk styles, this Les Paul gets the job done. While it might not sound as grundgey as an Ibanez, it has a nice feel to it. When my Blues and Classical Rock urges hit me, this is the guitar I fall to! Using a small Peavey Solo Amp, this Les Paul still packs a punch. On very low settings it can be hard to distiguish details, but Who plays quiet anyways! (I do because of apartment regulations haha) When I get the chance to crank this baby up, it is a bittersweet enjoyment. Clear and sharp are the notes, but sometimes the lightest tap of unwanted strings puts a damper on performaces. There is no whammy bar included to many tricks stop and pinch harmonics and mediocre pick slides. Metal can be played on this guitar. Though not the most prefered style for this little puppy, I consider this to be a Jack of All Trades when it comes to versatility. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The out-of-store set up is pretty much flawless. Up-keeping is easy too. It seems to go out of tune more easily than other guitars, but proper care can elongate tuning time. To this very day the finish astonishes me. It looks just as glamorous as the day I bought it. After every jam session I hit it up with some Dunlop System 65 Body Polish and Dunlop System 65 Fretboard and String Cleaners for every string changing. The fretboard seems to show scraps from bends but that is only at very very close view. Daily care can keep this Les Paul looking good for a long time. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This Les Paul is kinda on the heavy side and can be a burden for long plays. It lasts the whole session but it becomes very exhausting. The strap stays in place nicely and supports the shoulder well. Again the finish stays sparkeling with regular care. While I've never dropped it, I'm sure this guitar would withsand most impacts. I feel that the hard case keeps this guitar secure and safe. This guitar lasts and does its job when called upon. I don't see any need for repairs in the future. // 7

Overall Impression: For a Punk based player, this is not the end all be all in quality. But when I want to break for my Punk roots and expand my styles, this guitar does its job. I've only been playing for about 2 years and this is my only electric. That being said, this is a very good starter Les Paul. It provides quality and durability without burning a hole in your pocket. Again to this day I love the beauty of the Les Paul. I would but another one just because (Maybe the Ebony Finish). I am very pleased with this purchase and love this Les Paul. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 11, 2009

Purchased from: Local Music Shop

Features: My guitar is a 2006 Epiohone Les Paul Custom, made in Korea. 22 frets, mahogany body, ebony fingerboard, and gold hardware. It certainly does look the part - you get all the binding and the fancy logo on the headstock. Grover machine heads paired with a tune-o-matic bridge keep it in tune all the time, never had any issues with that. However I noticed the gold hardware (more specufically the stop bar) have started to tarnish. Not a big deal to me as I like guitars that look "used", but if you like your guitars looking mint all the time then you may want to consider replacing some of it. // 9

Sound: I play most styles ranging from classic rock to country, and it is fantastic for the rock stuff. Not great for cleaner stuff, but that may be my amp. I found the stock pickups fed back way too much when it was up loud so I had 1950's Gibson Burstbuckers put on and it sounds fantastic. At 120 each they were very expensive, but if you plan to keep the guitar for a long time then this is a great idea. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up fine with no dents, scratchesor anything. The "made in Korea" badge was a sticker which comes right off which was much to my liking. Nice action, I use 10s on it and it plays really good. Finish is very durable, have knocked it a few times and no visible damage at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Here is where we run into problems. The strap button came out within a few months, and is coming loose again now. The electronics are pretty bad to be brutially honest - the stock pickups weren't very good when played loud, and the tone knobs are very "digital" in the sense that they are either all the way up or all the way down. There is no real half way house. My input jack is done too after 3 years of playing which is very annoying. It is only a 15 replacment, but it is hassle that I could do without. Having said that all these problems can be fixed, and when you think about it you pretty much have a Gibson for a fraction of the price, so a few annoyances is a small compramise. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall with the Gibson pickups and some playing in its a great guitar. I would really miss it if it was gone. I love the way it looks and the way it feels to play, and the fact it's a budget Gibson! A great guitar that I would recommend to anyone. P.s. these things are really heavy! If you are getting one, get a good padded strap. Makes the world of difference. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: SchuldinerDeath, on april 21, 2010

Features: My Epiphone Les Paul Custom was made in 2008, handcrafted in china and inspected in America. 22 jumbo frets, 24.75 in. Scale length. Rosewood fretboard with Mahogany body. The neck is perfect size, not fat, not thin. It's a solid top. I bought it with the black beauty finish. It's beautiful because of the shape and shiny finish. The curves are perfect. Tuno-O-matic bridge, passive electronics, one volume knob, and three tone knobs. Pick-up selector. When I bought it, the guitar came with two humbuckers, the tuners are locking grover tuners. I bought mine with a hardshell case. // 9

Sound: Well I play Mostly Death/thrash/ progressive metal. Who'd expect an Epiphone do do the job? Trust me, it does the job and it does it well. I use a Marshall MG 100DFX amplifier and a DigiTech Grunge pedal with this guitar. Cheap gear for brutal sound. It's not noisy if you know how to play the guitar! The guitar, when on distortion, sounds like a metal machine. It will easily compare to an even priced B.C. Rich or Ibanez. Looks like I got the bang for the buck with this guitar. This is a simple guitar, no whammy crap, no special edition whatever. It's a metal guitar and that's what I use it for. It does everything any other guitar can do. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I bought this guitar from a local music shop. The action was perfect if you ask me. In my own opinion, I like the string height nice 'n low, for fast shredding and a more comfortable feel. The pickups are perfect. They were at the perfect height. The top is beautiful, no flaws, completely smooth. Bridge is routed professionally, yes. It's a well- built instrument. Like everything in life, this guitar has it's flaws. The hardware is rusted a bit, but it doesn't affect the sound. The nut is chipped, but I didn't do this.. It doesn't affect the sound of the guitar much. The pickup selector DOES make a bit noise, but that's alright. If it can play well, I like it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing can take a beating. This guitar can stand a live performance, and it has withstood many live gigs I've done. The hardware to be honest, is crap. It rusted within the first 6 months I've had the guitar. NO, do NOT trust this guitar's strap buttons, get strap locks as soon as possible. I always have a backup guitar no matter what guitars I'm using, so I won't comment on that. However, if I didn't have a backup, I'd play this guitar for sure. The finish is absolutely outstanding. You can play this guitar while wearing a tuxedo, and It would look godly. Shiny black finish, gold hardware and bound all around? I think this is my kind of guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I know, it would be kind of weird to see a guy playing Death or Necrophagist on a Les Paul, much less on an Epiphone les paul. But it does the job. I've been playing since my 13th birthday, so it's been 2 yrs. now. I have a Behringer racktuner, Marshall MG100DFX amplifier, DigiTech Grunge Pedal, and a Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal. I use Monster cables only, and I have a DiMarzio straplock (it's a strong one!) If it were lost or stolen, I'd probably end up buying a different guitar. I only have one, so it does get boring after 2 years. I love the looks and playability. I hate the crappy hardware. My favorite feature is the binding all around the guitar.I bought this guitar because I've been playing it at the store for nearly a year, and I really like it. I finally gathered the money to buy it, and I did. It was a great investment. It's my first guitar, and I'm never letting her go. I really wish this guitar had more reliable hardware!! and maybe EMGs. Other than that, this is a guitar I'll be holding onto forever. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Xter, on june 25, 2010

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: 2008 was the year it was made. It has 22 Frets and Jumbo Frets and a painted neck with Block Inlays that plays like a dream! My Les Paul is a solid top with a Regular Finish. It has a Tune-O-Matic Stop Bar Tail and stays in tune no matter what abuse it goes through! The pups in my baby are Passive but give that nice lead sound or that thick Les Paul Famous Sound easy. It has a 3 Way Pick Up Selector, Mine has Issues on Treble sometimes but that was mainly my fault. The tuners are Grover Tuners and Non-Locking, it included a Cable and tools. // 10

Sound: It suits every music style I play, Blues to Rock n Roll, to Glam Metal to Classical, Best Guitar! Only Using a Zoom G1 with it too, and its never noisy, it has a Rich full Bright Sound all the time but you can take out the bright sound by going to the Bridge Pickup. The Harmonics are beautiful and the intonation is Perfect. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up Professional from the start. Everything was perfect no Flaws, the Only Flaw was a too Perfect Guitar but I couldn't Complain one bit! Very good and no hassle involved for me. You couldn't get a better guitar for this Price or anywhere near it, Only a Gibson Les Paul Custom that was done by the best could beat this! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This Guitar could most definitely withstand live playing no Back up needed. The Hardware is great, no sign of anything wrong. The Strap Buttons are nice and good, Not loose or anything. I would definitely Gig 24/7 with this no Backup! The finish I don't think would wear off easy but if it did it adds to the Vintage Les Paul look which makes them great all around! // 10

Overall Impression: I play abit of everything and it fits it all, I've been playing this for 2 years and Use few other things with this. The only thing I would have asked before buying this is "Could There be a Better Guitar!?" If this was stolen or lost I would buy another on the heart beat or find the one I had! I love everything and hate nothing, its that Les Paul thing that all Great Les Pauls have. I could never compare this to another product within its price range at all. Wish it had a Sticker that said "X's Guitar!" but still a Perfect Guitar! // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: VermillionNight, on june 28, 2010

Purchased from: Local music store (sale)

Features: I don't know when and where this was made, as I was young at the time and removed all the useful stickers on the back of the headstock. It has a 22 jumbo fret rosewood on mahogany set neck (can be difficult to reach up this far due to the set-neck fitting), block inlays, and a mahogany body with an Antique White solid finish. The bridge is a Standard stopbar tailpiece, 2 humbuckers with a volume and tone for both pickups and grover tuners, all with a gold finish. I had to purchase the hard case seperately. // 9

Sound: When I got this guitar (2008 some time) I was largely into the mainstream metalcore (A7x, BFMV, KsE) and this suited me well as I could get some great pinched harmonics out of it. There was no excess noise from the pickups, but the volume and tone controls crackled at first, but went. As these are only Standard humbuckers, you can't get the same crunch as EMGs or the like, but for what they are they are very beefy pickups. I think this guitar sounds amazing on the clean channel, especially on the middle setting between the pickups, even better with a bit of Chorus. This is probably thanks to the weighty mahogany body. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Now I've become more critical with guitars, I discovered the action had been fairly high when I bought it, but that's just preferance. The pickps have always been set at a perfect height. The bridge isnt going anywhere, that things tunneled into the body. My only complaints would be that: 1. it came with a bit of unremoveable white paint on the fretboard 2. the white finish has started to yellow 3. the gold finish on the hardware, esp. the pickups has rubbed off completely. The Pickups themselves are very good, no excess sound. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've not really had any experience with live playing, though I used it at a school concert, and a local band night set. The guitar is certainly not flimsy and will stand up to anything thrown at it, but it is VERY heavy, so I don't think prancing around the stage is optional. Like I said, the finish on the hardware has very nearly gone, probably due to sweat corrosion. The white finish has yellowed slightly, but instead of fighting this I may encourage it to get a nice Vintage finish. I have accidently dropped the guitar whilst in a softcase, and there is a small chip at the bottom, but it is hardly noticable. So I'd say the finish is very durable. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 5ish years, and in the years I have owned it, my musical tastes have changed and broadened. I've tended to leave behind the mainstream, now into Opeth, Cannibal Corpse, Bodom, Evile, Pantera etc. For clean stuff I would highly recomend this guitar becuase the humbuckers sound full and beautiful. But for any shredder, I'd look elsewhere. The neck is pretty beefy, and its difficult to reach past fret 18 on the high E. The pickups are decent for what they are, but they are no match for EMGs. From what I hear, they feel pretty much the same as a Gibson. I have played a few Gibsons, and I would say there is very little differance in sound. The reason I bought this was a cheap alternative to a Gibson, and I'd say its served me well. If I was stolen, I wouldn't sweat becuase I'm planning on selling it anyway, as I've found what I need in a guitar and am now looking towards slick 7 strings. I have a Jackson RR24 to compare this to, and I must say there is a differance between low and high priced guitars, but if your short on cash and need a decent guitar which will stand up to pretty much anything, this would be a good choice. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: SummertimeBlues, on august 09, 2010

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This guitar has your 'standard' Les Paul setup, 3 way selector/ 2 volume/ 2 tone controls, set neck etc. Mine is a 2005 model in ebony, with bound body, neck and headstock and also came with a hard case. // 8

Sound: The stock pickups are ok sounding, nothing special, but they give a good idea of what the guitar is capable of. Playing through my Marshall avt50 combo I can get a good range of sounds, but the best is always going to be good old rock and hard rock styles through a Les Paul custom. The neck pickup position is mellow enough for some jazz, but obviously with humbuckers the cleans are never going to be exceptional. I replaced the bridge humbucker with an Iron Gear Hot Slag and all the pots/electronics with an axetec kit. I was already quite happy with the sound, but knew I could get more from it, and now I love it. Nice tight bass and balanced highs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine second hand so I can't comment on the setup, but it's always played pretty well, good and balanced in the hands, with the neck being on the fatter side. The finish is overall very good, but there is a patch on the corner of the headstock that isn't painted, leaving wood covered only by the clear coat, which is a let down on an otherwise great guitar. One of the strap buttons kept falling out, so I had to pack and re-screw the hole, nothing too major though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Very durable, solid guitar. Once when I was playing drunk, the strap slipped off, sending the guitar crashing to the floor with an almighty smash. Not a mark on it afterwards, but the pedal it landed on was pretty dented. I haven't gigged with it yet, but will be very soon, and I'll be using this is my main guitar, with a backup obviously, but I'm confident enough in my Paul to go without. I've not had any problems with it at all now I come to think of, just lots of fun making lots of noise. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly hard rock, some classic rock and lighter stuff a la Jeff Buckley, and I dabble (poorly) in a bit of blues lead. It suits my styles really well, as I don't need the crisp cleans of a Fender all that often. Been playing just over 6 years, and have owned a fair amount of mid priced gear and guitars, and I find this very favourable. I was tempted to go for a lesser known (ie.cheaper) brand, but I'm glad I went for Epiphone in the end. The only thing I don't like about this guitar are the tuners, and purely from a cosmetic point of view. They hold tune really well, for long periods of time, but the 'round' Grover buttons are just ugly in my opinion. Overall, very happy with my purchase, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again, as it performs well for all my needs. One thing I'd recommend to any prospective buyers- be prepared to replace the electrics, not just the pickups, it makes a big difference and is well worth the money. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Gigglefashizzle, on august 13, 2010

Features: This guitar is great! Love the ease of use of knobs while playing, switching from rhythm to treble, and four dials. (2 volume, 2 tone The tuners are great stock and never gave problems holding tuning before changing them. The neck on the guitar is perfect size, and (although some people complain about the weight) I find the weight to be well balanced. The weight of the guitar makes you know you're not playing a toy. // 10

Sound: I run mine through a Fender Blues Deluxe amp and absolutely LOVE the sound of my setup! When using pedals I never have any issues, and the thickness of the body and neck give the guitar a very beefy sound. In my opinion the Les Paul is a much better sounding and performing guitar than a Strat or telecaster. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have the white with black knobs and love the way it looks. Action is great and I love that it is adjustable! The pickups and all tuning pegs were well-crafted. The cut away is very comfortable while playing and put in a convenient place for easy of upper neck playing. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Guitar holds tuning well, has been dropped and is still perfect. No complaints! While playing live shows, have not had to do much to adjust tuning, and has very little visual wear after sweating, bleeding, and rubbing against belt/pants while playing. Get it! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is most definitely the best sounding/looking guitar I've ever owned. It is great for everything from blues and jazz to hard rock. Highly recommended! I played a bunch of guitars when I bought mine and the Les Paul was the one that struck me the most. The sound, action, weight, and stories of other people's reliability with the guitar helped me decide. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: paukkumaissi70, on october 07, 2010

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: 2nd hand

Features: Basic Les Paul, ebony white, kinda cheesy looking, two humbuckers, etc. Four knobs, tune-matic bridge, etc. // 8

Sound: It's a les paul, what can I say? It's loud and hot, not too noisy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Way too high action by default, tweaking made the strings buzz pretty easily. The nut's holes were too small and the nut broke when I fitted it with 012 strings. Paint chipped pretty easily. After two years of aggressive strumming, the cheesy gold-colored paint from the humbuckers was mostly worn off from the edges. // 5

Reliability & Durability: After one year of practice at home (ie. no gigging, drunk playing or other violence) three of the four knobs got loose and started spinning. The jack also broke and intermittently lost contact, had to get it changed. // 5

Overall Impression: I play rock, had a Marshall MG amp that I played through. I guess it fit my sound OK. Just the thing I most remember about this guitar is that the electronics were always broken, the nut chipped or it had some other fault which prevented me from playing it. It was always being repaired... // 6

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: graysquirrel38, on july 19, 2011

Purchased from: zzsounds

Features: My first LP, and its a beauty-Alpine White, gold hardware. 2010, made in China. 22 fret, 24 3/4 scale, Slim Taper, Rosewood fretboard. Mahogany carved top, back, and neck, no Maple cap. Hand to God, can see your reflection in the finish! Binding was flawless. 3-way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal, LockTone (TM) Tune-o-matic and stopbar. 16:1 sealed Grover tuners. They are supposed to come with AlnicoV magnet Alnico Classic in the neck, and Alnico Classic Plus in the bridge(slightly overwound). But mine came with Coil-Tapping (Coil-Splitting sounds more accurate), but anyway, a bonus, because I did not order it that way! So not real sure what pups are, and don't care, they sound unbelievable! 2 volume push/pull for Bridge and neck, as well as a tone control for each. Why me, I don't know, but I got an Epi. Leather case, and an amp cord. // 10

Sound: I play mostly Classic Rock, and Blues, but with the pickups in this thing, along with the coil-splitting, there's not a sound I couldn't find. Maybe in the past, it was automatic to rip out the pickups, but Epiphone have came a long way, basically same as big G! Quoted from Epiphone News - The ProBucker is Epiphone's version of Gibson's BurstBucker (which is Gibson's take on Gibson's much-hallowed PAF). The ProBucker is made with bobbins that have been manufactured to the BurstBucker's specs and with Elektrisola magnet wire (the same as that used by Gibson). The pole-piece slugs and screws are also to Gibson spec as is the nickel-silver alloy used in the covers. The magnets used are Alnico II and the coils are scatter wound like the originals but, in this instance, the windings have then been wax-potted. Like I said I don't know what are mine, but they are staying put. I can make it squeal like a pig, or get a beautiful creamy sound, and that's through my Fender Mustang I. When I go through my Focusrite Saffire 6, and into Guitar Rig Pro 4 in Sonar 8.5, look the hell out-limitless! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The only problems I had out of the box, was getting it out of the box, very well packaged! Action, intonation, pickup height, were all spot on. No Bridge adjustments, had to tune it up a little, and plug and play. I know I got really lucky with this one, I have been playing for close to 20 yrs. And this is the first buy-without playing first(nervous), but turned out to be the best of the bunch. I have a PRS Paul Allender, A Cort '97 SJ-10 elec/acoustic, both great guitars, but in all my years of playing, this one blows them out of the water, not even close. Just think I could have paid $3, 300.00 more for a "real" one, but I think I'll just keep this one, I'm not bashing, have had, and loved some Gibsons in my days, but never will I pay 6 times+, for a better finish, which there is nothing wrong with this one, hell I'm sure I could have it repainted, and buy 5 more guitars. OK done with banter, but what it comes down to, is go play as many as you can, as many brands, types, you'll know when ya find it, and if its a $3, 000 Gibson, then buy it, and enjoy! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Built like a brick, heavy as hell, hardware may varnish, but still get the job done. Would play this in any gig, venue, why not, that's what it's for! Always need a backup, if its mechanical, it can break! Yet to see about finish staying "Golden", but least of my concerns, I want my guitfiddle to look me, rough around the edges, but still gets it done, lol. // 10

Overall Impression: I got carried away earlier and already answered most of these questions, but here goes, the tone and sustain for days are my favorite, it actually sings! Could have had Straplock buttons, all real Les Pauls should, also upset that Epiphone doesn't advertise their advancements, I had to go looking, to make sure it was actually an Epiphone, and not the "real" thing! If stolen or lost, don't know if I'd get another one this good, but I'm hoping they are real close, lots of good reviews, that's for sure! So yes replaced ASAP. Sorry long winded, just never been so surprised by an instrument in my life, go get "one", but play many! Thanks. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 26, 2011

Purchased from: Guitarguitar Edinburgh

Features: My one was made 2004 in china its got everything everyone else's has Gibson DESIGNED pickups but I think of them as Epiphone Alinico V pickups it's a mahogany body with a set mahogany neck with rose wood fretboard (Cringe) it has Grover tuners and with a little tweaking kept the guitar in tune for two days. Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge. Three way selector. Mine is Finished in alpine white with gold hardware and a black pick guard although I removed the pick guard just out of personal preference. // 8

Sound: I play in an alternative/heavy rock band and it's suits our style great and blends well with my lead guitarist Epiphone SG. The clean is surprisingly smooth ran through we Line 6 Spider IV 75 and even on some extremely cranked gain a D chord can still be heard clearly. Over all I listen to anything from Mark Ronson to The Cancer Bats. Buy it you won't regret it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately Guitarguitar didn't care to tell me I was buying the floor model but I bought it none the less the factory set up or shop set up in this case was good but I have recently put my favorite Ernie Ball skinny top Heavy bottoms on it and adjusted the truss slightly. And now My Miss October guitar vynl is in the mail making its way towards me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand a f--king hurricane never mind a little stage wear although gold painted hardware does fade inevitably the strap buttons are great but I sling my guitar LOW meaning I have to install strap locks soon and the finish is solid. I think this guitar will do me for the next 2 years before I get bored. // 9

Overall Impression: Great match for me I have been playing for about 3 years and 1 with my current band Backtrack you should check us out if you want a rough idea of what it sounds like this. If it was stolen I'd find the f--ker who took it because of Miss October and she's never let me down. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: shao khan01, on december 05, 2011

Purchased from: Don't know

Features: I got this guitar past down to me so and I've checked the Serial number and found it it's from 1991 and made in Japan. - Pickups: 2 Humbuckers (Alnico Classic Humbucker, Alnico HOT Humbucker) - Scale: 24.75" - Nut Width: 1.68" - Frets: 22 - Neck: Set-Mahogany - Fingerboard: Rosewood - Inlay: Block - Binding: Body/Neck/Headstock - Body Material: Mahogany - Top: Mahogany - Hardware: Gold - Controls: 2 volume and 2 tone controls Solid guitar and I've been playing it for about 2 years now and the only thing that tarnishes is the Gold Hardware. I've had to change the Jack Input 2 times as well but hey it is from 1991 so it's good for 20 years but overall is a great guitar. // 9

Sound: Well as everybody know that a Les Paul is a great blues guitar but I can manage to get a good metal sound with the Boss Metal Zone. Sounds great through my Marshall Vintage Modern 100W with the Marshall Cab gives a great 80's sound so that I'm pleased with. It's a rich/full sound defiantly it's bold and gives a hell of a lot of punch to it. Works well with metal and also punk if you can the right sound on the amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar I don't know if it was set up. But I've had to set it up like 4 times because my bridge is old and the part when you put the strings on are wobbly. The pick ups were a little off but there so simple to re-do and I think my dad likes one pickup slightly louder than the other. Not many flaws but I do get a lot of buzz of the strings but when you plug it in you can't really hear it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've don't multiple gigs with this guitar and it's great. It's well built so I think it can handle being on stage without a backup. My guitar has had a few bumps in it's time and probably been with my parents doing gigs for years so it's a pretty stable guitar. The hardware lasts defiantly everything is great but I need to change the strap buttons soon because they keep coming loose. I would recommend then bolt on strap locks there about 12 for gold so it's good for the money incase your guitar falls on stage. The finish is still great my White guitar hasn't turned darker or warned off so it's good. The Binding has gotten darker but it's still fine with no cracks. // 9

Overall Impression: The music I play is varied I play from Metal to Punk to Pop everything. I can go from John Mayer to Iron Maiden with this bad boy. I've been playing for 6 years now and from all the other electric I've owned this beats them all. I had a Hamer XT before this and it sounded so cheap compared to this. For the price of 400 it's slamming. I don't really know how much my parents payed but hey it's still going good. My mate got one in 2006 and his sound great and all I've said is true this is a great guitar and they are still making them great now. So yeah go check it out store's have them set up on display anyway so go for it and try and used a good amp with it. They don't sound great in a cheap 10Watt. // 10

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 11, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This Epiphone LP Custom was made in China, 2008. It has 22 frets, and a pretty chunky neck on it that feels pretty decent. I believe this one is solid mahogany wood, and is Alpine White. Is very light for a guitar of this build, just over 8 pounds. Has two Alnico classic pickups. Lots of gold plated stuff on here, only a hint of plating wearing off on bridge. // 8

Sound: I play virtually everything, got this hoping to make sound as versatile as possible. I use this with a Vox AC15 amp with Celestion Greenback speaker. The pickups are dead quiet, no hum, but they are a bit muffled sounding to me. Am assuming these pickups are Alnico II, thus they will not be as bright as say, Alnico V. Am strongly thinking of replacing the pickups soon. Neck pickup has little definition in most applications, bridge pickup seems a little more defined and clearer. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, as far as defects, the most noticeable is the tone knobs, both are wobbly when you turn them, is no real big deal. It needed a setup really bad, intonation was horrible. Now that it has had a pro setup, sounds a lot better. Wood quality is good, again, this guitar is the lightest mahogany guitar I have ever owned, and I have had a lot! Pickup switch seems sturdy, some minor oxidation of the gold plating on Tune-O-Matic and tuners, but looks kinda cool to me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Am a bit leery about how this one will hold up, have seen many of these models with the headstock snapped on them! Will handle this axe with kid gloves if I ever take her on stage! Will probably need a pickup switch over time, hardware seems alright overall. Have straploks, so it will not fall during a somersault (hopefully!). I would bring a backup with this guitar, just in case. Finish looks good on this axe, that is one of the main selling points for me! // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar looks great! Will be making some mods to it to make it a true player, is a great platform to work with! Own a couple of Fenders (Tele and Strat) and another Epiphone Sheraton. If this were stolen, would probably get an older model, preferably from Korea, those are virtual steals. I love the looks the most about this axe, the things I dislike the most are the action (need to get it lower) and the pickups, esp. The neck. Is a bit muddy for me, will remedy that later. // 7

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 25, 2012

Price paid: € 200

Purchased from: Private seller

Features: My guitar was possibly made in 2003 in Epiphone's Japanese factory. She has a luxurious 22-fret lacquered neck with a rosewood fingerboard. The neck is fat and would be ideally suited to players with bigger hands (as per usual with all Les Pauls). The glossy ebony finish accompanied by the gold hardware (Alnico classic humbuckers, tune-o-matic stopbar and Grover tuners) and mother-of-pearl block inlays truly makes this guitar a classy one. Really the only flaw I find with her features are the lacquered neck, with can be uncomfortable to play with if you have sweaty hands, like myself. // 9

Sound: I mostly play heavy metal, using my Hiwatt Maxwatt G100, but occasionally dabble in some blues, jazz and even fingerstyle. The guitar handles metal okay, but not overly great. However, the blues and jazz sound produced is exceptional: the blues crunch tone is thick and full of bass, and the jazz cleans are crystal clear and some of the smoothest I've ever heard. The humbuckers will have some annoying background noise at high gain, but that's expected. My personal metal sound has the gain rolled back to 12 o'clock, and at that the noise is non-existent. The Alnico humbuckers are great, but not for metal. If this were fitted with some high output Seymour Duncans, I'm sure I would have no issues with the sound. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and pickup height were too high for my taste, but that's just my taste. Adjusting them was no problem. The finish is simply stunning, though. Only when you feel this guitar for yourself do you realise why the Les Paul Custom is nicknamed the "tuxedo" Les Paul. The glossy black paintjob and gold hardware really compliment the LP body shape. However, the gold hardware on the pickups does tend to fade, showing the shiny silver underbelly. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty much bombproof. The pickups show no signs of packing in and I don't need to worry about a backup guitar. The only problems are the strap buttons, which come loose surprisingly easy. Easily curable with a Philips head screwdriver. Also, as I have previously stated, the gold finish on the pickups fade, which seems to be a common problem with all these guitars. The tuning is solid, no signs of intonation and excellent electrics. // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is favourable. Although I don't think it's very good for metal, it still does the job. For blues and jazz, however, this guitar is a must. I've been playing for about 3 and a half years, and I also own a Dean Razorback, so I know this guitar is not quite suited to metal. I don't hate anything about this guitar, and my favourite feature is actually the split Diamond on the headstock. It's amazing! Finally, I wish mine had metal-orientated pickups, such as Seymour Duncans or DiMarzio pickups. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Slipknot101.0, on september 04, 2012

Price paid: C$ 625

Purchased from: Long & Mcquade

Features: This bada-s motherf***er was made in China in 2007. It has 22 medium jumbo frets and a 24.75 scale neck. The body and neck are made from mahogany with an ebony finish (also available in alpine white). The LP Custom uses a Locktone Tune-o-Matic/Stopbar bridge. Each of the two pickups have their own volume and tone knobs, same as any other LP. The pickups used for this model are Alnico Classic Humbuckers. The tuners are Grover 16:1 ratio machine heads. This guitar did not come with its own case, and had to be purchased individually. // 10

Sound: This guitar can fit absolutely any music style. Just take a look at any number of bands from any genre. My particular style is metal though, and fit it perfectly (as it would any other style, too). I am using this guitar straight to a Roland Cube Xl amp with no effects. The guitar has slight background noise, and for some reason increases toward the middle of the volume knob on the bridge pickup. This guitar can get any sound it wants by simply adjusting the tone and volume knobs at different settings on every position of the three-way pickup switch. This guitar can literally produce hundreds of different tones just by playing around with tone and volume. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately, my LP had some issues with the electronics when shipped into the store because of some lazy employee at the factory, which I discovered when playing it at home, but was easily fixed with some in-store saudering. After that I had no problems at all. This guitar is set up perfectly from the start. The gold pickups unfortunately started oxidizing not long after purchase. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a beast, which is why so many artists rely on it gig after gig. The hardware is well equipped and are built to last. The strap buttons keep a good hold on the strap, so I never worry about it falling off. This guitar is completely dependable, but it would still be a good idea to bring a backup, especially if you made any changes to hardware. The finish is durable and lasts, but I've found that with extensive use, the gold on the hardware wears of were I keep my picking hand, which is a bummer. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar as I said is perfect for any style of music. After ten years of playing, I prefer this guitar over many other guitars I have played. I would be devastated to lose this guitar and would not hesitate to buy another one right away. I love the orgasmic clean sounds this guitar produces on the bridge pickup, and the roaring sound from the neck pickup playing lead with distortion. However, the one thing I hate is that the gold wears down from rubbing against the hardware extensively with my picking hand. The one thing I wish this guitar had was a Marshall stack to hook up to and f--k sh-t up. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: krehzeekid, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 700

Purchased from: Avenue Guitars

Features: I bought my Les Paul in mid 2005, so it was presumably made sometime that year. Like most Epiphones, it is Korean made. The guitar features a mahogany neck and body, rosewood fingerboard, maple cap and a flame maple veneer. The guitar featured 2 Epiphone humbuckers (since replaced with an EMG ZW Set in my guitar), controlled with 2 sets of volume and tone controls and a standard 3-way toggle switch. The guitar has 22 medium-jumbo frets, trapezoid fret markers, and cream binding on the neck and body. The tuners are sealed non-locking Grover units, and the bridge/tailpiece is a standard Gibson-style tune-o-matic setup. Overall, it is a thoroughly unremarkable spec list. That being said, it is a well proven and generally well liked feature set, and offers generally good quality parts for reasonable money. I would have liked to see the guitar come with a gig bag at least, though a case would have been better, but it's hardly a deal-breaker. // 7

Sound: In it's stock set-up, this is a good guitar with the potential to be better with a few small changes. I have owned the guitar for over 7 years, and have played it through a wide variety of amps, so my comments are more general than specific to one amp. Clean tones using the bridge pickup are balanced, a little tubby and fairly articulate. Chords have good balance and decent clarity, but can become muddled, especially when more complex chords are played. Lead lines have very good punch, and this pickup can cover a good array of clean sounds. It isn't the best clean tone, however, as the pickup has a tendency to sound a little dull or flat at times - almost as if it is lacking in harmonic content. The neck pickup, meanwhile, produces nice full and warm clean tones. Strummed chords can be too thick and ill-defined, but single note lines and arpeggiated chords ring with satisfying authority and a bell-like chime. Again, the pickup seems to sound a little lackluster. Together, the pickups produce a slightly more hollow sound, which lends itself to Chord work given that it retains brightness and clarity while sounding fuller. Using the tone controls delicately to round off the tone works well to produce jazz tones, but rolling off the tone too much results in flab. Using mild to moderate overdrive, the guitar is happy producing crunchy rock tones, dirty blues and gritty punk sounds. This guitar rocks pretty well, having no difficulty with moderate levels of gain. The neck pickup is definitely too fat sounding to play rhythm with more than an hair of gain, but it compensates by having a nice and vocal sounding lead tone. Higher gain settings are a little bit of a let-down. It isn't so much that the pickups cannot handle the gain, but they don't seem to have sufficient clarity to make the most of the situation. This coupled with the lack of harmonic content in the pickups makes the guitar sound a little bit sterile at times. It isn't a bad sounding guitar by any means, and it is most certainly a capable instrument. However, it does lack the finesse and broad capability of some of the other heavy single-cuts on the market. Generally, this guitar is, again, unremarkable in every single way. It never really sounds great, but it always seems to sound good. I certainly would not hesitate bringing a stock one to a gig- it's a decent sounding and tremendously versatile instrument- but I wish it were better. Having loaded mine with better quality pickups, I can certainly attest to the fact that this guitar is seriously held-up by its' pickups. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar starts to fight back a little bit. The factory set-up on the guitar was decent. However, the build quality was actually quite good- though I'm well aware that there is some variance within Epiphones in regard to quality. The fret-work is very good, there are a few flaws but they are minor and rather difficult to notice. As well, the finish is extremely well applied and looks stellar. This is a pretty good playing guitar, in general. The neck is chunky without being particularly fat, and should be appealing to a wide range of players regardless of style. Additionally, it is a fairly easy guitar to set-up, so it is very easy to get the most out of the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Having had 7+ years to abuse this guitar, I'm thoroughly convinced it is a durable instrument. The hardware has held up near perfectly- the tuners still work well, the bridge feels solid, and there is very little corrosion to speak of anywhere. Additionally, the finish has held up well and the frets lasted almost 7 years before needing to be replaced despite regular and heavy use. The guitar has had to, regrettably, withstand some significant blows over the course of its life. Some have left significant scars, cracks and dents. However, the guitar still plays and sets-up exactly as expected, which is a testament to the structural integrity of this instrument. I used this guitar as my main stage guitar for almost 5 years, and I still bring it as a backup, and I've never had an on-stage issue, so I'm quite happy. My only issues with the guitar have been the toggle switch and the input jack. Both have died at some point, and needed to be replaced. These are cheap parts, and they do wear out. While I do think that they wore out somewhat prematurely, I'm not going to suggest that this guitar is not durable because $6 parts blew-out. // 10

Overall Impression: I have used this guitar for years for various styles of music, and it has been nothing if not consistent. It has rarely - if ever - been truly stellar, but it has never let me down. While the stock electronics were somewhat disappointing, they were hardly bad and should not be viewed as a detriment to the guitar. With good after market pickups, however, this guitar is a monster. I certainly will not be buying another one, as my playing (and budget) has progressed substantially, but I still think that the Epiphone Les Paul Custom is one of the better mid-range/ budget conscious choices around. It is a well built, easy to play and good sounding instrument. I would not hesitate to recommend this guitar to others, and I am very happy that I've owned one. Plus, the stock pickups give you an excuse to learn about modding guitar! // 7

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014