Les Paul Custom Blackback Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 03/20/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom Blackback
This must be on of the best guitars out there if you like the Les Paul model and specially the Custom
 9.3

- Neck Joint: Glued-in, set neck
- Truss Rod: Adjustable
- Scale Length: 24.75
- Fingerboard Material: Rosewood
- Fingerboard Radius: 12"
- Frets: 22 Medium jumbo
- Binding: 7-layer body front and back, 5-layer headstock, 1-layer fingerboard
- Machine Heads: Grover 16:1 ratio
- Colors: Alpine White
- Warranty Epiphone Limited Lifetime // 10

Sound: I play everything from blues, country and rock. This guitar just eats it all! I have used both a Vox AC15 Special Edition and Hughes & Kettner Trilogy 4x12 Stack. The pickups are very silent - makes no noise (as you would expect from humbuckers). I have a Gibson Les Paul Studio from 2003 and this is the only "back to back" comparison I have made and this Epiphone is a lot better in build quality and when it comes to sound quality it actually is a whole lot better then the Studio as well... which is so crazy but I guess I just payed for the name Gibson on that guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Setup was great! I bought from a good musician how just was a "Strat man" and decided to not keep it so he probably made a great setup. Intonation was perfect and so was the action. Since i bought it used I would not know how it was set up new... but mine was perfect! The looks and finish is flawless, no imperfections at all - I couldn't tell that it was "just an Epiphone." The pickups are in my opinion great! They actually sound a lot better than my Gibson Les Paul Studio. I honestly thought it was impossible to get a guitar for under 300 dollars that felt like 2000 dollars... If you can live with the "Epiphone" logo then you are in for a great lifetime of playing without having to spend a fortune! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems like it´s built like a tank (just like the few Gibson Les Paul Custom I have played). The guitar feels really dependable, it stays in tune and like I wrote before - it's built like a tank and seems to manage a world war... The only thing I have read is that the Gold will probably fade away. But for a guitar that is about 1/10 of the price of the "Original" I think I can live with that. I would definitely play this in live situations and I trust it fully for a lifetime! I can't be more clear about this - this is a guitar that has no flaws, the setup was perfect and it seems like it will last forever. // 10

Overall Impression: Bottom line is that this must be on of the best guitars out there if you like the Les Paul model and specially the Custom which I do. Maybe I was lucky and got a GREAT example but to be honest I couldn't really sell this now for even 1000 dollars since I would probably have to buy a Gibson for about 2000 to get the same quality, feel and sound. Now there will probably be some Gibson fans that will think I am an idiot (hey I am a Gibson fan too, I own a Hummingbird and a Les Paul Studio) but to be honest, besides the possibility of buying a collectible Gibson Les Paul Custom, why would you pay that kind of money when a guitar like this is available? // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014