Les Paul Custom Midnight Limited Edition Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 01/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom Midnight Limited Edition
It features a pair of black active EMG-81 pickups mounted mahogany bodied Les Paul with a maple top finishes in translucent black. Each Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight comes with an "Epiphone Limited Edition Custom Shop" logo on the back of the headstock.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.7
 9.3
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 63 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom Midnight Limited Edition Reviewed by: ReBoRnBaND4, on may 16, 2006

Features: This is an awesome and beautiful guitar. It is midnight black with a white trim, and pearl inlays. Although it is an Epiphone, it plays and sounds like a Gibson, especially with the EMG 81 pickups. If you are into any type of music with distortion this a perfect guitar. Also this can be played with blues, or pretty much any kinda genre out there. It has 3-way selector, and 2 volume knobs, and 2 tone knobs. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge which barely ever goes out of tune on this baby! As some of you may know the pickups, which are EMG-81's are the same pickups Zakk Wylde (Ozzy Osbourne, Black Label Society), Kirk Hammett (Metallica), and Kerry King (Slayer) uses. // 9

Sound: This guitar sounds amazing! The only thing since these pick ups are great for distortion, if you turn your gain up to high you will get feed back everytime you lift your hands from the guitar, but with saying this can be fixed by just turning the gain down a bit. It picks up you pick harmonics great. I currently use a Crate XT120 with guitar and it sounds rightious! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it is was a bit out of tune but theres nothing a good old tuner couldn't fix. For me the action was just fine and I'm sure once you break it in the action will get better. Also there was nothing wrong with it when I got it. Everything was perfect except for the tuning. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar's middle name is reliable. I have played many gigs without a backup guitar with this here guitar. It is just an amazing guitar. The only thing you need to watch out for is if you sit down with the strap still on, dont get up to fast because the strap will come right off usaully. The finish of this guitar is beautiful, and will last. // 9

Overall Impression: Well this guitar can handle any type of music, in my case rock-metal. I have been playing for about 2 and half years and this is my favorite guitar yet, nothing can beat it (although Fender Strats do come close). If someone stole this from me, I would cry in my room for days then go and try to find it because it is limited edition and it can not be bought from stores anymore, unless they haven't all been bought off. They don't call this guitar Limited Edition for no reason either. It plays pretty much like a Gibson and has great tone and versatile. You won't go wrong buying this if you can find one! // 10

Les Paul Custom Midnight Limited Edition Reviewed by: Joel., on january 12, 2008

Features: What an amazing axe. 22 frets, pearl inlays, ebony colour with a white trim. Everything about this guitar is black, pretty much, inluding the machine heads. Obviously the classic Les Paul style body, but without the pickguard, which in my eyes is the only bad thing about a normal Les Paul. Tune-O-Matic bridge, with 2 active EMG-81 pickups. The pickups are what make this guitar so amazing. There is a 3-way selector, and volume/tone for each pickup. // 10

Sound: The EMG-81s are made for heavy music, and they do they job better than any other guitar I've played. Don't be turned off it if you're into soft stuff though - set your amp to clean and select the bridge pickup for some sweet clean, crisp sounds. I'm currently using this bad boy with a Zoom G2 pedal as well as a Roland Cube30x and a Marshall Valvestate 100. Both of these amps sound beautiful with it. I've also used this with a Fender FM65R as well as a Vox Valvetronix. Due to the nature of the active pickups, no matter what volume I play at, or where I stand, there is very little/no buzzing or feedback. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about the setup was good (except for tuning of course). I did not have to adjust anything but the pickups, which were a little loose, but a quick job with the screwdriver and my problems were solved. There were no obvious flaws, and when I first got it I spent an hour or two playing it and looking for any flaws that I may have missed. None were found. This guitar was set up great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definately use this guitar for gigging. It just feels so comfortable and the sounds it can give out are amazing. I would be very surprised if any of the hardware on this guitar give out anytime soon; it's made very well. The strap buttons are very solid and, with vigorous testing, they haven't moved at all. I doubt one would need this guitar with a backup for gigging. It's sound range would be hard to beat and it's extremely reliable. There is no chance the finish will wear off. The only way you would be able to mark it if it were to hit a hard object pretty forcefully, but avoid that and you'll be fine. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from heavy metal to soft rock, and jazz etc. This guitar fits every genre extremely well, even though the pickups are made mainly for metal. If you are a metal fan of any kind, this guitar would be your dream. I also own a Fender Stratocaster, a Squier Bullet Strat and an Epiphone SG. This guitar beats any of my others. If it were stolen or I lost it, I'd cut my wrists, since this guitar is a limited edition and you'd be pretty hard done by to find the same one again. I compared this to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, a Gibson Les Paul Custom, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard, and some random Ibanez guitars. This guitar matched the sound and feel of both Standards, and came very close to the sound of the Gibson Custom, but for a quarter of the price! As you can probably tell, I am in love with this guitar, and I don't think it'll ever leave my side. // 10

Les Paul Custom Midnight Limited Edition Reviewed by: ChaosD., on january 16, 2012

Purchased from: Nevada Music

Features: This guitar is one of the best quality models I have seen for it's price. It's colour is a laminated Midnight Black and its fret binding (pearl) and body trim is a pale colour. It comes with two EMG active 81 Pickups, Grover Tuners, a three way selector, a tuno-matic bridge and a volume and tone dial as is typical of the Les Paul model. I have never seen another model of guitar as well equipped for the money // 10

Sound: This guitar is my second quality guitar but have being playing in for around 8 years and in bands for several of them. This guitar is built, more or less, around the idea that you will be playing Metal. It's just the way it is. When the list of endorser's for EMG 81 pickups has that many legendary metal guitar players on it, it is to be expected that these pickups suit distorted, high gain sounds. The bridge pickup is simply the most impressive metal tone I have ever heard. I often here people complaining however that this guitar has two 81's, in the bridge and neck position. I can honestly say I have no idea what the problem is, the neck sound is as sweet as the sound on my Schecter C-1 Plus and gets even sweeter as you play around with the tone dial. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's action was fine straight from the factory and the neck is rather slim, compared to the majority of Les Pauls I've played. Aesthetically the guitar is gorgeous, dark colours, and even fret binding. A real find. As my first active pickup guitar, I had to play around with raising and lowering the pickups to achieve a sound I really liked but I think everyone should experiment with their own guitars to find a sound they like, it is not the factory or shops responsibility to cater the individual taste of every guitar player in the world. People seem to want everything done for them these days! // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very bulky and heavy and for that matter I imagine it would withstand a fair amount of drops etc. I would gig without a backup but I would make sure I had a spare 9v battery for the pickup. The only downside about this guitar in my eyes is the gods forsaken strap-buttons. Without fail they manage to come off every time you either put the flaming thing down or pick it up. I intend to invest in a pair of strap-locks and I suggest you do too if you buy this guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: The music I play is pretty hard to define but I guess it fits relatively well into the the pretentious beast that is genre progressive metal. In other words, widdly stuff. This guitar is great for achieving that heavy, chugging metal tone while keeping a great amount of clarity and note definition that is great for playing songs by bands like Death or Opeth. I play the guitar through a Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff Pedal, with a Jim Dunlop Cry Baby and a Kustom 30 watt double speaker amp. I have been playing for many years but due to lack of funds and lack of need I have never really had the need to upgrade amplifier. However this is more than sufficient to get a quality tone on this guitar. This guitar for want of a better word is perfect, especially for its price. There are no real flaws that alter the quality of playing, only amazing pickups and a quality build, as well as an overall brilliant aesthetic. As compared to my Schecter C-1 Plus, a guitar which was a good 150/200 pounds more, the sound is better! It plays better than any other Gibson or Epiphone Les Paul I've ever played. If you are thinking about getting this I would recommend it. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014