Les Paul Custom Pro Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 07/09/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Custom Pro
This is a 2012 model Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. It's got a great warm, thick sound. I'm really digging it.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 8.5
 9.4
 7.5
reviews (6) pictures (3) 30 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom Pro Reviewed by: CkY freak, on june 01, 2012

Features: This is a 2012 model Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro. This is in a limited edition Silverburst finish. Here's a quick run down of the features: - Body Material: Mahogany - Top Material: Maple Veneer - Neck Material: Mahogany - Neck Shape: 1960's SlimTaper; D profile - Neck Joint: Glued In - Truss Rod: Adjustable - Scale Length: 24.75" - Fingerboard Material: Rosewood with mother-of-pearl BLOCK inlays - Neck Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-2; 4-wire - Bridge Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-3; 4-wire - Controls: Epiphone All-metal 3-way Pickup Selector, Neck Pickup Volome with push/pull coil-tapping, Bridge Pickup Volume with push/pull coil-tapping, Neck Pickup Tone, Bridge Pickup Tone - Binding: Body Top - 5 ply (White/Black), Body Back - 5 ply (White/Black), Fingerboard - 1 ply (White), Headstock - 5 ply (White/Black), Body - 1ply (cream) - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Frets: 22; medium-jumbo - Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar - Nut Width: 1-11/16" - Hardware: Nickel - Machine Heads: Grover Tuners; 14:1 ratio // 10

Sound: When I played in a band, I played mostly metal. Not death metal. Not metalcore. Just metal. Think the heavier side of Dream Theater, with Cky mixed in. I only ever played RG's during those years, primarily an Ibanez RG1570, which is kind of a "metal" guitar. Anyway, this guitar could definitely handle what I played. When I'm at home, I'll play anything. Journey, Children Of Bodom, Paul Gilbert, John Mayer. Whatever. I like a lot of different music. I could probably use it to play any of it - because of the coil tap feature. I can get the humbucker sounds for the metal, and get a single coil sound for any Eric Clapton songs I may play. I'm using a pretty simple set up. Its a Maxon OD9 and an MXR Carbon copy into a Mesa Boogie F100 w/ B-52 4x12 cabinet. I just crank up the gain a little bit on the OD9 to make up for the lower output pickups this guitar has, and its ready to go! It is slightly noisy when you use the coil tap, but that's to be expected. Its got a great warm, thick sound. I'm really digging it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The silverburst finish is what drew me to this guitar initially. Its awesome. They make this guitar in black and alpine white, but I definitely liked this finish the best. Everything was great right of the shelf. I did adjust the action, but only slightly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Being that I've never played an LP style guitar before, there was a few things I noticed. I saw there were some minor dings in the pickup covers. I've never used pickups with the covers on them before, so I don't know if they're all susceptible to dents and stuff, or if I just got a bad one. Pretty disappointing though considering the amount of play it probably gets at guitar center. I did replace the strap buttons with a DiMarzio cliplock, so I can't comment on those. As far as withstanding playing live, I think it could. I play pretty aggressively - and I never even knock it out of tune. But in my experience, you should never gig without a backup, regardless of how great you think your guitar is. // 8

Overall Impression: I walked into Guitar Center just to kill time. I had no intentions, nor did I even want a guitar. So for me to walk out with this, it had to be a great guitar. I love it. I'm so glad I bought it. I haven't put it down since I brought it home. I played it for about 30 minutes in the store when I was demoing it. It just felt natural. This is way different than any other guitar I've ever owned. I've owned several Ibanez RG's and Fender Strats. So this is much different in sound and feel than the others. I love the coil tap, and the pickups! They sound great and I'm glad I have the option of the 2 sounds. I've been playing for 9 years and I've played so many different styles during that time. I could see myself playing all them with this guitar. This is the cheapest guitar I've ever bought, and I would put it up with my other ones that I paid $1000+ for. No joke. I think its that great. Maybe I just got a really good one, but you should definitely play one if you get the chance! // 9

Les Paul Custom Pro Reviewed by: Billy Wilkins, on june 05, 2012

Purchased from: PMT

Features: Has the switch between treble and rhythm etc. Has 4 nozzles for you to change how each pickup sounds which is pretty good. I don't really need to explain much here you can easily Google it. // 10

Sound: I mainly play rock and metal and this guitar is perfect for it. I play it through my Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt amp and it the sounds it amazing. For example I was playing "Waking The Demon" and the sound doesn't sound any different to the original version. I also play other stuff like Blink-182 and Trivium and it also sounds great for playing their stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar looks lovely. It's a nice black with gold pickups, tuners etc. The headstock looks great and so does the features on the body. Overall a really good looking guitar for any type of band. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Already knocked it a few times but there's no signs of marks on it or dents so the durability is good. // 10

Overall Impression: Before I used played a Ibanez RG350M but that's nothing compared to this Les Paul, I haven't put it down since I got it. Great guitar I would recommend it to anyone. Would definitely buy again if I broke it/ got stolen. // 10

Les Paul Custom Pro Reviewed by: saxman007, on january 11, 2013

Purchased from: Russo Music

Features: Mine is made in Korea with a Mahogany body and Maple veneer top. The neck is a slim-taper d-profile and is satin finished. It's a glued-in neck joint with usual truss rod and with pearloid block markers. The pickups are Pro-Bucker 4 wires and both volume knobs are push-pull style for coil tapping. The scale length is 24 3/4" and the fretboard radius is 12". It has Grover 14:1 tuning machines and it stays in tune as well as any other guitar I own. I got it on sale because it has a mark in the surface lacquer in between the bridge and the tailpiece. I'm a guy who only cares how a guitar plays/sounds, not how it looks and I'm sure I'll scratch it soon anyhow. Mine is the silverburst color which, like I said, I got more reasonably due to the mark between bridge and tailpiece. // 10

Sound: I work in a blues-rock band and use a Fender Tele Custom Plus, a Fender Strat, kind of "custom" style considering that almost everything in has now been replaced at least once; I've owned it since 1969, first guitar I bought after being released from the military, another Fender custom made guitar and now this Epi LP Custom PRO. The coil tapping gives some slight tonal variations that I've been looking for. I use a Mesa Boogie Mark V with two matching speaker cablinets along with an Artec Compression pedal, an Artec Blues Box and a Big Muff. It is a little noisy when the coil tapping is engaged but I think that is to be expected. I've done quite a lot of experimenting with the volume knobs and there is a lot of variation of tone available when using one pickup tapped with differing tone settings. I don't usually consider an LP as a blues guitar but this gives me a nice alternative on certain blues songs that are "more rock than blues". // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set-up means nothing to me as the factories are generally only given about 60 seconds to do set-up and besides, we all have our own preferences anyway. If you expect a guitar to be set up just right for you right out of the box, well, it's just sideways thinking. I changed pickup height just slightly on the neck pickup, not because it was badly done, it was personal preference. Everything was properly done and I made no corrections and fixed nothing other that the pickup height already mentioned. I'm very pleased. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It has done well under live playing so far and has endured a couple of incidents where I couldn't get it on the plane and had to give it to a guy at the gate. I use a Stone double guitar bag and it works in getting it on a plane most of the time. Hardware is fine so far but I will change the strap buttons to strap locks in the near future, only because I prefer them. As stated before, I take 3-4 guitars on a gig so there's always a backup, although not a duplicate. As far as the finish wearing off, I really could care less. That's not my requirement. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing a long time, first professional gig was in 1956 at age 14. I've played surf rock, rock n roll, jazz, pop, country, country rock, folk, some bluegrass and blues, which is my favorite. I own other guitars that don't fit with the blues or which I don't want to take on traveling gigs including a G&L Will Ray Z3, a couple of custom made guitars that I purchased from the original buyers when they needed money, a customized Squire and a couple of Takamine acoustic/electric guitars, both EG523's. I have the Mesa Boogie Mark V mentioned as well as a GBX Canadian made amp, a Crate US made GX112 and a Fender DeVille plus a Vox AC130 an Orange 10watt practice amp and a Peavey Bass amp. I own a dozen foot pedals but primarily use the Artec compression and blues pedals, a ModTone Chorus and a Big Muff. I adjusted the action and reintonated, which I do with every guitar I every pick up. I love the way it plays; there's nothing I "hate" about it at all. Really like that both pickups are tappable. I didn't compare it to anything. I just happened to be in the store, say the knob tabs saying coil tapped and decided to give it a try. I wasn't looking for a guitar but decided that would offer something all my current guitars didn't have. // 10

Les Paul Custom Pro Reviewed by: xXkriegyXx, on october 23, 2012

Price paid: A$ 800

Purchased from: Barrosa music

Features: This is a 2012 model guitar. Mine was made in Korea. It has a 24 fret mahogany neck with medium frets and a rosewood finger board. It has a thick mahogany body. It has a tune-o-matic bridge. With 2 passive alnico classic humbuckers. It was 1 volume and 1 tone knob for each of the pickups and a 3 way toggle switch. It has grover pickups. Mine came with case and tools. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of hard rock and classic rock and it suits my need perfectly. I play it through a Line 6 Spider on the crunch setting and it sounds amazing. It has the amazing Les Paul sound of a Gibson with out costing thousands of dollars. It has no buzzing or any other noise. This guitar is perfect if your looking of a Gibson Les Paul without the pricetag. It is amazing when playing guns and roses and most hard rock and rock music. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit high but that was easy. It is easy to adjust the innunition and the bridge hight. The pickups were set up perfectly and I didn't have to change them. It had no flaws with it at all. It was in perfect quality. It didn't even have any scratches on the back. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have given this guitar a workout and it still looks and sounds brand new. The hardware is solid and it doesnt't look like it will br breaking in my lifetime. I wouldn't play without a back up with this guitar but I do anyway just in case it gets tolen or anything. This guitar will be one to pass on to you kids. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for any kind of rock. No matter what kind you play this guitar will suit your needs. This sounds amazing through a Line 6 spider but it sounded amazing in store through an Orange Dual Terror and a Marshall amp. If it was lost or stolen I'd definitely buy another one without a doubt. I love the features it comes with and the amazing sound and tone you get from it. I compared it to a Gibson Tribute but this was better, it sounded better and felt better.

// 10

Les Paul Custom Pro Reviewed by: adammcdonald, on july 09, 2013

Features: I copied this from a post below for the features because its practically the same, although there is a couple different features that I modified. Here is a short description of the features: - Body Material: Mahogany - Top Material: Maple Veneer - Neck Material: Mahogany - Neck Shape: 1960's SlimTaper; D profile - Neck Joint: Glued In - Truss Rod: Adjustable - Scale Length: 24.75" - Fingerboard Material: Rosewood with mother-of-pearl BLOCK inlays - Neck Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-2; 4-wire - Bridge Pickup: Epiphone ProBucker-3; 4-wire - Controls: Epiphone All-metal 3-way Pickup Selector, Neck Pickup Volume with push/pull coil-tapping, Bridge Pickup Volume with push/pull coil-tapping, Neck Pickup Tone, Bridge Pickup Tone - Binding: Body Top - 5 ply (White/Black), Body Back - 5 ply (White/Black), Fingerboard - 1 ply (White), Headstock - 5 ply (White/Black), Body - 1ply (cream) - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Frets: 22; medium-jumbo - Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar - Nut Width: 1-11/16" - Hardware: Gold - Machine Heads: Grover Tuners; 14:1 ratio. // 10

Sound: The sound of this guitar is not bad at all for an Epiphone. It is a 2012 model that doesn't sound too bad. It suits my style pretty perfectly, I play mostly classic rock and hair metal such as Van Halen, Motley Crue, KISS, and Guns N' Roses/Slash. It fits my style pretty good because it is simple and easy to play, and has a pretty good tone. The amp and effects that I use are a Fender Mustang II amp, customized with my own tones and various styles, and the only effects that I use are a Dunlop Crybaby Wah. I found that with the wah all the way on, it gives you a great crunchy tone and when you switch it over the the single coil settings, surprisingly you can get a decent Stratocaster tone. I usually play with a lot of distortion or at least some distortion, and this has ABSOLUTELY NO HUMMING. NONE. I was very happy and surprised at that. It does not hum no matter what setting you are on and how high your distortion is, unless you play to a stadium of 500,000 people and you are cranked up, it will most likely hum, but for average playing it does not hum. I do have to say though, it is kind of muddy. I expected this on a Les Paul, but it has a very muddy tone. Its more of a rich and full sound compared to bright, but a simple pickup change can definitely suite your playing needs. It has great variety, it can play great clean for blues or jazz, and is perfectly designed for rock and metal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup of this guitar from the factory was pretty low, but not so low that I needed to adjust anything or hearing any fret buzz. I like to play low, so it wasn't an issue for me. One issue I will warn you of though is that at the 19th fret on the 1st string it will play the note on the 20th fret, probably because if poor craftsmanship or the fret is a bit too high, but a simple file can fix that in no time at all. The pickups as far as I'm concerned are put on the guitar pretty well, they are adjusted properly and are in the guitar like any other guitar would be. They are a bit muddy as I have said before, but an upgrade to your pickups can be done pretty easily. Finish This is what caught my eye in that store. This guitar has an amazing and perfect finish. It is what every guitarist dreams of, a Vintage white Les Paul. What I really like and was searching for was a Les Paul with the binding around the edges, because to me it gives you a sense that it looks and feels vintage. The white finish has no scratches or any poor painting issues, and looks amazing. If you look very close to the areas where the white and the cream binding meets, you can see that it is not perfectly even, but its a low quality guitar and was not thousands of dollars, so there is nothing to complain about there. The only issue with the finish is that it came from guitar center. Now, people have many mixed emotions about guitar center, but when I picked this guitar up at the first time, it was very crappy looking. It has sticker marks (like when you take duct tape off of something) and was dusty and the knobs were not on correctly so they were wobbly. The hardware is kind of oxidized which I actually just noticed. This is mostly at fault of Guitar Center, because they have left it out in the open for anyone to pickup and if it has an issue or a sticker mark on it, they fail to tell you that. So, I told the store employee that I was kind of wary about buying the guitar because it looked like it had been sitting there for 5 years. What did they do? They gave me free cleaning supplies and a brand new set of strings, so I cleaned it up myself and restored it back to a fresh out-of-the box feel. It looks better now that I did that, poor guitar center made it look less than it really should have been displayed as. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar without a doubt will withstand live playing. I have no doubt with that, it is very sturdy built and very strong. The hardware is a bit oxidized, but it will last maybe another 15 years without any replacements because the oxidized parts are very minuscule and small, so you can't really see it at the moment. The strap buttons are sort of solid, they do stay in the wood but a strap can easily fall off so I would eventually replace them once it is needed or necessary. It is very reliable and dependable, its pretty good haha. I would not gig it without a backup if possible, just because of my fear that something can always go wrong and its good to have a backup. I have poor luck and with my poor luck, it would probably fall out of the back of my car. I would always have a backup because it is a smart thing to do just in case. The finish will not ever wear off. Of course being white, in about 15 or so years it will turn into a Vintage cream look, which is another reason why I love the white because that look will be amazing. It is not thin what so ever, I had to rub it very very hard to get the sticker marks off of it and a scratch or dent didn't even form. Of course, if you freaking drop it on something or smash it into something, you are going to get a dent or a scratch. Of course. Just don't be stupid with it, its a guitar not a First Act discovery guitar. It will last forever depending on the way you treat it. If you play it like a normal guitarist, maybe play it a few hours every day, it will last. If you play it like mr Eddie Van Halen, then of course expect a couple scratches, he throws that guitar around and does alot of wacky stuff that would probably give it a scratch or two. Don't install a Floyd Rose or any other tremolo, it will ruin the guitar's sound and sustain. If that is what you think about doing, then think about a different guitar that is not a Les Paul or get the Les Pauls that already have it. This guitar will last. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before, the styles that I play are various, I play mostly classic rock, hair metal, hard rock, and occasionally some slow blues and jazz. My favorite bands to play are Van Halen, KISS, Slash, Guns N' Roses, Steve Vai, you name it, I've probably tried to play it. Its a perfect match, I love the guitars look. The sound of course can be tweaked a little bit, such as a less muddier pickup change. I've been playing for 4 years now. With my budget, this is my top knotch guitar. I have an Epiphone Les Paul Special II which is actually not bad considering all of the nasty reviews, I have a Squier Bullet hard tail Stratocaster which I'm not too much of a fan of and will probably dump because its not reliable and sounds like it was worth 50$, I have a Squier Affinity Stratocaster that has some tuning issues, but it's a Fender tremolo so what do you expect, perfection? The last guitar I have is a Carlos acoustic dating back to 1983, which is great for the acoustic stuff that I rarely but do play. There isn't anything that I wished I had asked, except maybe for the store to clean up the dirty work that they had put onto it. If this guitar was stolen, I would track it down and get it back and probably kill the person that stole it. If I lost it, I would either get it back or buy a new one. This guitar will definitely be with me for the rest of my life. What I love about it is definitely the finish. It looks beautiful and pairs up nicely with the gold hardware. A quick note: I switched out the stock black volume and tone knobs for gold speedloader tone and volume knobs, just a personal preference. What I dislike or hate is the muddy tone that I get, but for the billionth time I can replace them without a problem. My favorite feature is the separate volume and tone knobs, I love being able to control everything separately. I compared this guitar to a Gibson Les Paul Special, and chose this over the Gibson. I thought it sounded better to be honest. I liked how the finish was the nice white and the binding is beautiful, and the plain Gibson special really did not strike a Chord (haha, guitar pun) in me when I picked it up and played it. I wish that it had better pickups, which I will switch out again, the billionth time I've said it) to maybe the Slash Alnico 2 pickups. Overall, this is a great guitar and I definitely recommend that you buy it. You will love it forever and never will want to sell it or get rid of it. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014