Les Paul Junior Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 09/14/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Junior
This guitar has a single cutaway Les Paul style body, 21 frets, a wrap-around bridge, one open-coil humbucker in the bridge position, and one volume and one tone knob. It gives you both warm and bright sounds, all you have to do is turn the tone knob.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.9
 Features: 7.2
 7.4
 7.8
reviews (29) pictures (4) 86 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: untitled039, on january 17, 2007

Purchased from: 2kool4skool.com

Features: This guitar has a single cutaway Les Paul style body, 21 frets, a wrap-around bridge, one open-coil humbucker in the bridge position, and one volume and one tone knob. The headstock is in the Standard Epiphone style and there is a black pickguard. Not many features, but just adjusting the tone knob can make the humbucker sound like it's in the neck postion and anywhere in the middle. // 8

Sound: This is great for almost all the music I play (punk, indie/alternative, rock, grunge). I use this with my Zoom G1X and Marshall MG15 CDR. It gives you both warm and bright sounds, all you have to do is turn the tone knob (0=warmest, 10=brightest). When you have the guitar on its brightest setting, there is a bit of noise when you're not playing, but that doesn't really matter for me because I usually have the tone knob at 0. Because of the variations of the soung you can get out of this one pickup, I don't really seem to feel the need to buy a guitar with a neck pickup. The only reason I would buy one with a neck pickup is to get the sound of both pickups together. The clean sound isn't that bad for a humbucker either. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately, the factory set-up was terrible because the action was too low and there was a terrible amount of fret-buzz when you played anything on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd fret. So I rasied the action just enough to stop it. The action now is very high, which is kind of irritating for playing fast stuff on higher frets. Apart from that, everything else was fine. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would stand being gigged for me. The strap buttons are really solid and my strap has never fallen off me when I've been playing, the only time it has fallen off me is when I have been sitting down and the hole on my strap twists round causing it to fall off when I stand up. There's no reason why I wouldn't play this without a backup right now, but maybe in about 5 years time when it has been played for a while I might start thinking about it. The finish is pretty good, but I did scratch a bit off when I was adjusting the action and my screwdriver slipped. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said before it's a great match for what I play. I've been playing for 5 years and I own a Zoom G1X and a Marshall MG15CDR. I also had a crappy Encore Strat copy which had stopped working (which is why I got this guitar). If it were stolen/lost I would probably get it again if it was availible where I Live, however Epiphone have stopped importing here and getting one shipped here is such a hassle so I would buy something that I could get here. The things I love about this guitar are the looks, the simplicity, the price and the general straight-on rock sound. The thing I don't like is the action, which I can't lower cos there will be too much fret buzz. I compared this to a few Squier Telecasters, some other Epi LPs and a few low-end Ibanez's. I chose this one because of its looks, its price, its simple tone and because I hate Ibanez's. // 9

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: greendaypunkrox, on may 21, 2010

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made about in about 2,000. it was made in indonesia. There are 22 frets. This guitar has a solid top, Mahogany. It has a cutaway and the bridge style is tele-style. No active or passive electronics. The two controls are volume, and tone. I took out the original humbukers and put in a p-90. // 7

Sound: I like to play punk music. This guitar is perfect for playing, Offspring, Green Day, Ramones, Sex Pistols, anti-Flag and many, many more. The p-90 gives it a real punchy sound. I play this guitar on a peavy viper. This guitar can do a lot of different things. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great. The original pickups were not that great so I put a p-90 in. The p-90 sounds great. It gives it a crisp, punchy sound. There are only two things I don't like about this guitar. One is that it ALWAYS GOES OUT OF TUNE. Second is that the strings break NON STOP. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be OK playing live. Like it said before,"it goes out of tune, and strings break". Hardware seems great, and strap buttons solid. I wouldn't use this guitar without a backup. You could break a string and unless you mant to stop in the middle of a gig, change the string, ur f--ked. // 8

Overall Impression: I like to generally play punk and this is a great guitar for playing this kind of music. I have been playing for 1 1/2 years. I don't regret buying this guitar. I love the sound it makes. It's perfect. I just hate how it goes out of tune, and the strings break. // 7

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: 3HitKO, on september 06, 2010

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: My Les Paul Jr. was probably made in 2009, considering I could smell the oh-so-tempting "new finish smell". It was probably manufactured in one of Epiphone's Chinese factories. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard, which is glued to a sturdy rock maple neck. The neck is bolted to a mahogany body with a satin ebony (I wanted cherry!) finish. The strings go into a wrap-around Tune-O-Matic bridge. There are only 2 knobs: 1 volume, and 1 tone. The lone 700t humbucker is situated in the bridge position. I'm pretty sure the tuners were made by Grover, if not Epiphone. // 8

Sound: I'm a metalhead and I gotta tell you: This guitar can do it all. I'm currently running it through either Amplitube 3 (with Amplitube Fender) or my beloved Behringer V-Tone GM108. It actually solves the buzzing problem in my amp that my old Silvertone Revolver couldn't! I also play some smooth blues, and the guitar also suits the tone I need. It can go from classic rock all the way to pure death metal, if you know what to do. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was almost perfect, though the low E buzzed for a few minutes. If the pickup could act like 2 pickups at once, it's definitely set up right, which it was. The bridge can get loose if you remove all of the strings, but you'll get used to it eventually. The only problem I had with this beauty was that the A string tuning peg got really loose. It still works, however. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It will survive anything I throw at it. I accidentally dropped it at Guitar Club and there wasn't even a scratch on the finish. The hardware hasn't failed me yet, and I doubt it will in the near future. The strap buttons are actually better than a strap lock. I have never lost my guitar because of the strap. It stays in place. I'd probably bring a Fender Stratocaster along with it to a gig, mainly because the Junior only has one pickup, whilst the Strat has 3. The finish is basically BULLETPROOF. I haven't seen any scratches or anything. // 9

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal, blues-rock, and punk, and this guitar can do it all. I've been playing since 2007 and I have to admit, this is one of the best guitars I've ever owned. I wish I had bought the cherry version of it, but there was only an ebony version available at the time. If it were stolen, I'd buy another Junior, because it will rock you like a hurricane. // 10

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: BrianDeuel, on september 19, 2011

Features: Built in Indonesia in 2010, this is a 21-fret Sunburst finish model. Made from "tonewood" with a rosewood fretboard. Single cutaway Les Paul body style, with pick guard and pre-intonated wraparound bridge and single passive humbucker pickup. Cheap sealed tuners. One volume knob, one tone knob, and a plastic nut. Nothing more, nothing less, which is exactly what I was looking for, as I bought this guitar as a modification mule. // 6

Sound: I play blues rock in the style of ZZ Top, Firebird, and Rory Gallagher, and this guitar suits that style just fine, although I have done quite a few modifications to it to achieve the sound I wanted. Before I modified it, I spent a good five months playing it stock, and it sounds decent enough out of the box. The stock tone control has very little versatility, going from bright to bassy as you dial from 10 to 1, and there's really no variance in sound between those settings. I play through a Marshall Class 5 head and 2-12 cabinet for gigging, and a Roland Microcube for practice at home, and the stock sound is adequate; nothing special, but not ugly either. The stock pickup is a standard humbucker, and there wasn't any static or noise that I could detect. It's pretty bright with the tone control set to 10, and somewhat muddy at 1. Pinch harmonics with the stock pickup are somewhat difficult to find. All in all, the key word for this guitar is "adequate" in it's stock configuration. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the setup was decent, although not to my own personal preferences (very low). The action was a bit high and the neck needed some relief adjustment, and the bridge needed to be lowered, to avoid fret buzz. After replacing the stock strings with Regular Slinkys (my string of choice), filing the nut a bit, and making the other necessary adjustments, I eliminated all of the fret buzz and found no fret-outs at all. The frets are decently dressed, so no work was done there. I raised the stock pickup as high as it would go to bring out a brighter sound; it was much too low in it's stock configuration, and even after raising it, it still wasn't bright or warm enough for me; just merely adequate. The sustain is actually not too bad, which surprised me. Other than some paint accumulation under the neck joint, there were no flaws that I could find. The top is just like a standard Junior; flat. Some like this, others hate it. I don't mind it, as I'm used to it. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Gigging with this guitar has presented no problems for me, as it's been extensively modified since its purchase. In it's stock configuration, I wouldn't trust it 100% and would keep a backup handy. In fact, I would probably use this guitar AS the back up. The stock hardware is, again, adequate, but the tuners are pretty cheap and crappy. I did notice, however, that with enough winds on the strings and some time wearing the strings in, the tuners do hold tune decently, although the B string on my particular guitar had a tendency to drift a bit flat after a few bends. I haven't had any problems with the strap buttons popping out (yet), but am planning to replace them with locks soon. The finish is very hardy and thick on both the neck and the body; so much so, that I sanded the neck finish down a bit so my fret hand wouldn't suffer from "paint burn". // 5

Overall Impression: I was looking for a no-frills guitar to modify just for the hell of it, and this guitar was the perfect foil. I'm a no-frills player myself; typical blues rock, very few effects, with a rig that is pretty no frills itself (Marshall Class 5 head, 2-12 Marshall cabinet). I've been playing for 32 years and have played many different styles of music over the years (hard rock, metal, grindcore, d-beat hardcore), as well as owned many different guitars and pieces of equipment. I've gone "back to my roots", so to speak, as I've gotten older. This guitar, as stock, is good for players just starting out, or for those who like to play more punk/hardcore kind of stuff and have the rig that can deliver a punch. It's decently cheap enough to take a beating, and one wouldn't be out much if it did get destroyed. I have gigged it, but not in it's stock configuration, and probably wouldn't trust it in that case; at least with the style of music I play. I'm not that hard on my guitars, but it IS a cheapo, and would treat it as such, keeping a backup just in case (or using this one as your backup). My advice is to play a few of these before you buy one. As it goes with all cheap guitars, there are good ones and bad ones. I played a few of them, and the Chinese models were complete crap and were sloppily thrown together. Lots of loose parts (pickup, input jack, knobs). The Indonesian made models weren't a whole lot better, but seemed to be put together a little less carelessly. I played five of them before settling on this one. I have extensively modified this guitar, changing the pickup to a GFS Mean 90, replacing both pots with 500K pots, replacing the input jack, changing the tuners to Stewart MacDonald 3-on-plate vintage-style tuners, and copper-taping all of the cavities to shield them. I left the original bridge in place, as it is intonated almost perfectly, the sustain is great, and I read a few mod posts that said changing to a different style bridge just kills the tone and sustain. I haven't replaced the nut yet, but this will happen in the near future. If this guitar were stolen, I'd probably spring for that Xaviare XV-400 that I now desire instead of this one (I plan on getting one anyway soon, and relegating this one to backup/practice status). The one thing that I really dig about this guitar is the neck. It's perfect for me. Decently fast (now that the finish is sanded down a bit), nice medium-sized frets, and great action. I got lucky in that regard. I can't really bag on the quality too much, as it IS a cheap, but you get what you pay for. There are certainly better LP JUnior-style guitars out there, but if you find a decent Epi Junior, you really can't go wrong for the price. // 6

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 14, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Features: This guitar was made in Indonesia. It has 22 medium/jumbo frets and it has a single cutaway. It has a bolt on Mahogany neck and SlimTaper neck profile. The finish of my guitar is TV yellow but it is also available in black, cherry, blue, sunburst and white. It has a wraparound bridge. It only has one pickup. The Les Paul Junior is voiced by a powerful, noise-free, open-coil Epiphone 700T humbucker pickup in the bridge position. It has one volume and one tone knob. // 7

Sound: I play punk, alternative, hard rock and sometimes metal. Especially, it is great in songs of bands like Green Day, Blink-182, Sum 41 and other punk and alternative bands. I use this with my Boston Amplifier. This guitar is great especially with a lot of distortion. It also not bad when you play it in clean. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received this guitar, the action was too low but it is easy too adjust it. When it is too low, you will hear a buzz which is a only a minor problem and easy to fix. Besides from that, there is no other problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Personally, I think this guitar would withstand live playing but I would mind bringing a back up guitar just in case. The strap buttons are solid and replacing it with strap locks is not really necessary. Since I received this guitar, I only dropped it once and there is no scratch. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play punk, alternative, hard rock and some metal but mostly punk and hard rock. I've been playing for only 1 1/2 year and I think I don't have much experience yet. If it were stolen or lost, I think I would buy a better Epiphone, like Les Paul Standards or SG's. What I like about this guitar is it is simple, with only one pick up, but it sounds great in almost every genre but of course, there are more tonal varieties if you have 2 pickups, 2 tone knobs, 2 volume knobs and a pickup selector switch just like a Les Paul Standard. I chose this guitar because it is simple but it has a great sound. // 7

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 19, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Goody

Features: This was my first guitar and I don't really lke it that much. It has 1 P-90 pickup, 22 normal sized frets (probably medium), 2 knobs (1 tone, 1 volume), a wrap-around bridge (I think), and some really crappy tuners. I don't know where it was made. It has a rosewood fingerboard and a metallic black finish. // 8

Sound: This guitar suits some of my music styles (punk, emo) and it doesn't fit my other one (metal). For metal, I use my Schecter C-1 FR (which I've noticed that Synyster Gates from A7X plays). The P-90 doesn't really offer a wide variety of sounds but it sounds really cool withmy Washurn BD25R amp. The setings on it are bass: 10, middle: 4, treble: 7, and reverb: 8. I usually have the volume cranked all the way up and the tone between3 and 7. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The only bad things I have to say about this guitar is that the tuners don't stay in place for more than a few weeks, and that the bridge being set right in the middle of the body makes it hard to palm mute. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar will withstand live playing. It would probably need a backup though (which is probably why Billy Joe has Jason White on 2nd guitar during every one of GD's live shows). The strap buttons aren't that solid. The strap fell off on me 6 times efore I replaced them with Straploks. It seems to be built pretty strongly. You could drop it quite a few times without it breaking. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar pretty much fits the music that I usually play. I have been playing for 3 years. I am currently 13. I have 3 other guitars: a Schecter C1-FR; an Epiphone SG; and an Ibanez RG-570. If this was stolen or lost, I wouldn't get another one. And if I did, I would change alot about it. I would get Grover tuners like on my Schecter, I would replace the P-90 with an active EMG, and I would change the bridge to a string-thru (I am prety sure you can't but it would be cool if you could). The one thing I hate about this is the tuners. If there was 1 thing I wish it came with, it would probably be tougher strings. I sumultaneously snappedthe high E string and the B strig from playing too many solos with bunds, pulls, vibratos, and stuff like that. // 6

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: AmericanIdiot91, on october 07, 2005

Purchased from: ebay

Features: It's a 2003 model with 22 medium jumbo frets, and a rosewood fingerboard. A single open coil humbucker, that could probably buck some more. A wrap around bridge, which doesn't need much adjusting. Platinum satin finish, not extremely glossy. 1 volume, 1 tone. The tuners are the worst part of the axe. Overall, not that much on the features, pretty simple. // 7

Sound: I play mostly punk and classic rock. It definately has that bluesy les paul sound for classic, and when driven through my friends Marshall, this thing is great for punk. Through my Fender Frontman, gets a good clean sound, but the amp is more responsible for how it sounds distorted. I've heard a lot of people ask me "why did you bought it, it only has one pickup?" Well, the tone control can make the pickup act like its in the neck position, at the bridge, and everywhere in between. Awesome sound for a 100 guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it used, so it was kind of already set up. I did lower the action a little, just for personal preference. The pots were a little dusty at first, so I cleaned that out. Otherwise it's just the minor things that you get from buying an axe used (fret wear, scratched pickguard) the tuning pegs, on the other hand, don't really change the pitch of the srting at all if moved a small amount, so that makes accurate tuning difficult. I do plan on replacing them though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It would definately withstand live playing. But, I always use a backup, just in case. The strap buttons are not a problem, as long as the strap isn't really worn out, or it will slip right off. The finish seems to be pretty heavy duty, so it probably won't come off unless you take the pickguard off and play it for a few years. // 10

Overall Impression: Great match for punk and classic rock. If it were lost, I'd save up and get a Fat Strat or Gibson LP Junior. Overall, my only complaint is the tuning pegs. If you buy this guitar, replace them as soon as possible. // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: gravensuicide, on april 04, 2007

Features: I'm going to try and stay positive about this guitar, while still informing you of it's serious down-falls. Of course it has it's pluses and serious minuses, but hey, what can you do. It was made in China and I'm not sure what year. It has a Les Paul flat top body. The bridge on it is very wierd, I've never seen one like it, it's a real pain to change strings on it. I'll try to explain what I'm talking about here. You have to put the string through going from the neck to the but, then pull the string back over the bridge to the tuning pegs. it's a really hassel because the *ONLY* pick-up is right next to the bridge. Yes, that's right, there's just a single humbucker on this guitar. The tuning keys have got what just about every Epiphone has, really sticky or really loose. It has a hard time holding it's tune as well. Mainly it's the A string that goes in and out. // 6

Sound: The sound is decent, on the right amp. If I use it on my Rogue, I can't even play, the damn thing just gives feed back the whole time. I have to mute the strings constantly to just help a little bit, but it still feeds back. It sounds decent on my Epiphone amp that I have, but for some reason the 6th E string is really quiet compared to the rest. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Well here is were the guitar is on my good side I would guess. If you just look at it, it looks like it would be great. Everything seems to fit and line up right. I think they did a great job and putting it together, but you can't blame essembly lines for crappy guitars. Like my other Epiphone, the paint job has really be holding up. It doesn't have any scratchs or flakes, it has finger prints on it, but those wipe away. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I can't tell you if it stands up to a Live show, I haven't used it at a show. I'm not sure if I will or not. It's way to risky, I don't want to deafen the audience with constant feedback. The straps are pretty solid, I've done a few jumps with it at band practice, nothing to special though. Like I said above, the paint job seems good. Epiphones paint jobs seem to last a good while. My other Epiphone(which pretty much has the same paint job) has held up with tons of sweat, so I assume this one will too. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar isnt worth the $90 that they sell it for. I think that you should just save up your money and get something a little better. Sure this guitar would be great for beginners or people that arnt sure if they want to commit to the practicing everyday and just want to try playing guitar, then all I have to say is go ahead and get it, but, if your serious about your playing, like myself, don't buy it. I only bought it because as much as I like playing guitars, I like collecting them too. If this guitar was stolen from me I wouldn't be too upset. I might replace it with another one, but I would probably just buy something else. Well, I tried to be fair, but there's no hiding the truth. It's better to be informed of a guitars flaws then falsely led to wasting your money and time. // 6

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: gilaboyfjs, on september 17, 2007

Features: Most probably made this year ('07), it's made in China. It has 22 frets, a rosewood fretboard. Solid top, with a Vintage sunburst finish. It has a tune o matic bridge, which you can put almost any string gauge on it without adjusting much. It has an open humbucker at the bridge, a stock epi humbucker, a passive one, not the EMGs. 1 tone, 1 volume, simple. It has non locking tuners, but stay in tune until you change strings. It came with a gig bag, a strap and the usual cable, which broke in 2 months. Replaced it with a better quality planet waves cable. // 7

Sound: It suits me as I play mostly rock, punk (MCR, Green Day). You can also crank up the distortion, as it will do the job for some heavy stuff, but obviously the results are not as good as Ibanez or some other better guitars. I use it with a Laney LG12, a 20w amp. No effects or pedals used, but sound nice. It sounds decent on the clean channel as well. It is noisy with the stock cable provided, but once I changed to a planet waves cable, the noise disappeared. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It was well set up as I bought a display unit. The action was low, just nice for my liking. The pickups had wax on the sides of it. It had some scratches on the pickguard, so I managed to get some price cut on that. Otherwise, it's playable once I got it out of the bag. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I think it will withstand Live playing, but only after you change the strap buttons or get strap-loks, as the strap will keep falling off. For me, I bought the planet lock strap and the problem is solved. I will not use it on a gig without a backup as it can't provide wide variety of tones. I think this axe will last with good maintainance and care. // 6

Overall Impression: I have been playin for 3 years, and have another Yamaha classical guitar. If stolen or lost, I will save for another guitar. I wished it had more pickups. I wished I asked for the Epi LP Special II as it had another humbucker for 20 bucks extra. This is because I was anxious to get a electric guitar. // 5

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: ke69lm, on february 02, 2009

Features: This guitar was made in China, it is a 2007 model, and It cost about $200 because I got a beginner pack including an Epiphone Studio 15R amplifier, a gig bag that fell apart within a month, a chromatic tuner, and two cables that I had to replace before I even had it a year. it has a single coil pickup that, the Standard Epiphone bridge pickup, that sounds good. the only problem with the pickup is it is the only one, and I like having double burst buckers, such as the combo that the ESP LTD Kirk Hammett sig series, which is an EMG-81 at the bridge and an EMG-82 at the neck. it has no Switch, seeing as there is only one pickup, and only a tone and volume knob. I still use the amp, but not the default distortion, since I now have a Zoom G1X effects pedal. I also recomend that if you buy this, replace the cabkes with a couple from LiveWire, this guitar sounds great with a LiveWire brand cable. Also replace the knobs, seeing as mine fell off within weeks of purchase.Still, I've been playing a year and a half and I haven't needed to replace the strings but once. Great for beginners! // 9

Sound: When you talk about the sound of this guitar, the main thing to focus on is that little tone knob. when you set it down all the way to 0, you have a nice, warm tone that is pretty much perfect for playing stuff like Rise Against and Green Day. on the other hand, turn that little bugger all the way to 10, turn on a distortion pedal such as the DigiTech Death Metal Pedal (say that 10 times fast XD) or another heavy distortion pedal, and it sounds great for music spanning from Disturbed to Metallica to even some Pantera. But also, the package I bought has some downfalls. The analog distortion on the amplifier that comes with it sucks worse than a two dollar prostitute with gangrene in New York. the clean is great, but the distortion is just nasty. I highly recomend the use of a Zoom G1X effect pedal, which you can get at walmart.com for under a hundred bucks. I know, your thinkin "Wal-Mart???" trust me, It is deffinately worth your money no matter what guitar you have. but back to the Epi LP Jr. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: For the action, mine is absolutely wonderful. The only problem with the action is the bridge. this bridge is a total pain in the ass when it comes to replacing strings, especially for putting strings in. The pickup is in a good position as long as you put the strings in correctly, and as I said, it sounds great. the bridge as I said is a little weird, but it is a great bridge for beginners to practice palm mutes and chugging with. the ebony fretboard and black finish is so pretty it is absolutely mind boggling. the only problem with the finish is that it is laminated all over, and it is black, so it attracts a lot of dirt and filth. but whn you walk into the shop and see it sitting there, it just absolutely blows your mind. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great for small Live shows if you have the proper distortion pedals or effect pedals. The hardware has all seemed fairly solid, except for the knobs, which fell off within weeks. But those are very cheap to replace. Ah, the strap buttons... well, I ended up having to buy strap locks, but only because I have a custom nylon strap that has a hole a little bit to big for my guitar's strap buttons. but once again, this is cheap to fix. I have gone the last three months doing local shows with this guitar with no backup other than my trusty Indiana Scout acoustic, but that wont help me if I am fixing to play Disturbed, so It doesn't really count. The finish has gone a year and a half without wearing out at all, and I am pretty sure it will last for a lot longer. I give this part a ten because for the couple of problems it does have, the remedies are very cheap, both together being under $20. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavier alternative, things like Three Days Grace, Hinder, Disturbed, and others, and this guitar has the right tone for the occasion. I have been playing almost two years now, and it is still one of the best guitars I have ever played. Like I said, I play this with an Epiphone Studio 15R amplifier and a Zoom G1X effect pedal. I only wish I had asked it to be speed shipped, because two weeks wait was a long time. If it was stolen, I might get it again, but I would probably use my friends B\.C\. Rich Warlock until I saved up enough to get an Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy EX Custom. I have to say my favorite feature is how easy it is to palm mute, because I have to do that a lot as a rhythm guitarist. I did compare this to a Squire Strat, but I got this when I played them because it just felt right. The only thing I wish it had would have to be a neck pickup and a Switch, so I could have a couple of EMG burstbuckers or Dirty Finger single coil pickups put in for a more crisp sound. // 9

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: syngatesrox, on august 27, 2010

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: It was made in Indonesia.It has 22 frets. It has a rhythm and treble Switch and a volume and tone knob. It has two Humbucker pickups. It is a special 2 model. It has a really cool bridge as well. The head is curved down and I love it that way. The neck is amazing. Its easy for you to slide down through it. // 8

Sound: It sounds really good for punk rock music.For bands such as blink-182, green day, The offspring, anti-flag, etc. I use a Peavey viper amp on this guitar. The humbucker pickups give alot of distortion. Sometimes I don't use a amp because it has a good Acoustic sound to it and it sounds loud with out amp like an Acoustic guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It looks great I love where the Switch and knob are. They did a great job putting it together. The paint never chips or anything. They did a great job with the head I love the way it is done. Its a little curved and I like it hat way. It looks fantastic. It didn't come with any flaws. It came perfectly fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would play it live.The strings last pretty good. The hardware would last a long time I've had it for 2 years now and I don't have any paint chips or scratches just fingerprints but I wash those off. The strap buttons are ok sometimes it could drop. So I just tape the strap together. // 9

Overall Impression: I generally play punk rock on this guitar and its a great guitar for punk rock. I love that I bought this guitar. Only thats wrong with it is that if you wanna play metal and solo around this aint the guitar to use. Its not good for soloing. Its for riffs. Its a cheap guitar but sounds great. Its worth the money. // 9

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 03, 2004

Features: - 21frets - Solid Top - Controls-Vol.,Tone - Pickup-S/H - Rosewood neck // 6

Sound: I play lots of punk rock. A very nice guitar for rock, although not punk. As you may know for punk rock you need to jam with powerchords. I've often broken strings because of this, but, the sound is good. It could come out wonerfully with a Marshall amp. I use DigiTech effects pedals and those also work ok with it. It can play metal, (and I do play metal), it is a fairly noisy guitar. I play classic and modern rock (The Clash, Led Zeppelin, the Pistols, and The D. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: It is very average in this category. The finish on the black guitar is so poor, after the first day, fingerprints covered it and it looked clear. The bridge although is exceptional(earning this a 3). But the4 major downfall is the loose and somewhat tiny tuning pegs. // 6

Reliability & Durability: A very reliable guitar. this is the one guitar I've played with a group or in front of a group and it was great. I can depend upon it wonderfully. But after a while (a year), the guitar seemed to wear out. I'm now buying a Fender. // 8

Overall Impression: A good guitar. Definitly wonderfull for a first guitar. Although I wish it had more pickups and accessories, it is a gfreat learners guitar. The term "Junior" is not used for that although, it is used to define, that this guitar is not a complete versino of the original Les Paul. Obey The D! // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: Tedbedell, on january 03, 2005

Purchased from: A friend's brother, with amp.

Features: - Made in indonesia - 22 frets - Rosewood fretboard - really junky finish - 1 tone, 1 volume control - 1 humbucker that sucks and doesn't buck hums at all - Very loose tuners that are too close together. I bought it with a Brownsville 10G practice amp, a gig bag that has held up well, a decent strap with a shoulder pad, a cheap cable, some extra strings and a stand for 90 dollars, so the price was what sold me. I would have paid up to 120 for the guitar with all that equipment in hindsight, but not more. It was 4 years old when I bought it in June 2004 and played for a total of 8 hours by it's previous owner. // 6

Sound: Well, with buzz and distortion and stink and crunch it sounds good, which is good because I play metal (death metal). When you try to make it sound clean with the amp I got with it you fail, no matter who you are. If Randy Rhoades came back from the dead he would say, "Wow, that amp really sucks unless the gain is at 10 and the tone on the guitar is all the way up". If you play metal, good, if you play anything else, you're out of luck. I tried it on a Marshall one time and it sounded decent, but not as good as my new axe. It gets a 3 because it's a dirty girl. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: It seems like it was made in a rush, the pickup is a piece of crap as well. I tried something one time: I turned off all the electronics in my room and the room next to mine, then let-a-rip. The buzz was still there, but not bad enough to make me grind my teeth. Then the electronics came on and the damn thing sounded like there was a swarm of bees in the room. I blame this half on the amp since the guitar still buzzes with my Peavy Transtube 112 EFX. Also, the tuning pegs are loose, and the tone knob fell off. It gets a 3 for effort. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is the only area I like it in. I dropped it a few weeks ago and it still worked. Then I did it again 4 times and it was fine. Well, it didn't sound worse. It was already 4 years old when I got it and had sat in a basement for all but 10 hours of that time. I bet it would withstand live playing for a while, I've been playing for 6 months and I don't think I'm ready to find out yet. Strap buttons are fine, I wouldn't use it without a backup because I'm paranoid. After dropping it the finish is cracked as well. It gets a 5 because it's a tough old bird that may not be able to soar, but it can get off the ground. // 10

Overall Impression: This was my first guitar and I still love it. As crappy as I think it is now since I've played better, I thought for 5 months until I got my new guitar and amp that the only reason it sounded bad was me and my lack of talent. It pushed me to sound better and I sound good on that piece of crap now. As a first guitar for someone who knows nothing about care or maintainence or pickups or strings, it's a good choice. Especially if they like metal. Well, only if they like metal. I wouldn't use it now, but it was a nice introduction to Les Pauls. // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: 4evaroxn, on april 26, 2005

Features: I'm actually not sure what year this was made. This guitar has 22 regular size frets I guess or medium I'd say. The neck is really nice, it's smooth and easy to play I think this and the finish is what surprised me about the guitar. The paint job is sweet! The bridge is horrible though as are the tuners, the tone, and the volume. Within like 2 months or less the knobs became loose and I'm not sure how to fix it and the guitar doesn't stay in tune well at all. It only has one humbucker to offer which is only okay. But it was only 99 bucks and I recieved it as a gift so whatever it's nice for that. // 6

Sound: It only has one hum like I said so you don't get to many different sounds but it's good to play punk, classic, and metal, which all I play. Also it's not to bad for country as much as I hate it. Honestly I can't give this section a straight answer, or a flop because the amp I play this thing on sucks and I think maybe this guitar isn't a big piece of s--t and maybe it's my $30 amp that offers nothing. But from what I am playing it on this guitar is very noisey. I really do think its my amp though so I'm giving this like a 3 or 4! // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory did a poor job. Tuners can't keep in lock, and the knobs come off easily but thats miner I guess. The pickup is well adjusted though and the finish is sweet like I said. The cool thing though, I've banged up this guitar so much and no knicks or anything. I hit this guitar on the walls constantly swing it and everything and nothing! // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'm not to sure if I'd play this live but I've read other reviews and a lot of people say it's something good so who knows. The strap buttons are solid though if you want to jump around but maybe this would be and okay back but not anything for a first pick. // 4

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar was a gift and I'm happy I got it because even though its crap, it's mine! I will admit it's good for metal and punk though and if your starting out this is okay but if you got the cash spring for a squire infinity its only $200 and you get a amp, bag, tuner, and guitar. A lot of people trash Squires but I've played that guitar and it's sick for a beginner! // 4

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: ZepRules2764, on may 21, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This isn't exactly a guitar made for features. One volume knob, one tone knob. One pickup. Weak tuners. Stubborn shape. However, it sounds great. There's no pickups in the way of your playing so you can absolutely smash on the strings, I encourage you to do a Nirvana or a Townshend on this guitar. Very simple axe. // 6

Sound: The best feature about this guitar would have to be the sound. I play thrash metal (Pantera, Metallica), fast solos that mainly dwell on the highest frets on the high E string (see Kirk Hammet's solo on the end of "Jump In The Fire"), classic rock & classic metal (lots of Sabbath and Zeppelin) and occasionally some prog rock (big Floyd fan). My distortion knob rarely leaves 10. I'm playing it through a Peavey Blazer 158 Transtube (the one with reverb), 15 watt. It can make really dirty sounding distortion, but I've heard better. On clean it makes a pretty rich sound, but I have also heard better. The pickup isn't very noisy, actually relatively quiet. All the reviews I've read for it say how it's best for rock/metal, which I would agree with. It's pretty obvious that that's the sound it was made for. If you don't play with distortion, this probably isn't the guitar for you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: You probably weren't expecting much in this category. Like I've said before, it's a pretty stubborn guitar. The knobs are pretty stable in the guitar compared to my other electric (Washburn Maverick BT-4, which, mind you, is a much better guitar than this). Everywhere I read about it, the people say how the tuners can't hold up very well. They don't have a brand name on them, I assume they're just Epiphone's standard wimpy tuners. Get used to tuning it more often than your other guitars, or if this is your first guitar, normal axes don't need to be tuned this often. My advice is if you're serious about getting this to be a great instrument and you have the cash, go get them replaced. I'd do it if this wasn't just a beater for me. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Well, I can't say much about the durability. You see, I got this guitar from my friend less than 24 hours ago. But I've done some pretty rough jams on it already and it gets my approval. Strap buttons are very stable. Everything is really solid (except for the tuners). You could drop it a couple times on pavement or something and it would hold up well. There is no cutaway in the body. The edge of the guitar is always in the way of your arm, it's very distracting and annoying. If you're sitting down and playing, your arm is going to be pressed up against the corner of the guitar and your hand or wrist will be on the jagged bridge. It's just not a comfortable player any way you play it. It's made for beginners who play crudely and harshly, so it's made to last. It's also 100% made in the USA! // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a good beater guitar. Don't buy it if you're looking for a real high class, fast moving machine. This is a pretty primitive guitar made for practice amps, just for noodling around on. That's why the price is so low. Hell, I got mine for forty bucks in mint condition, I'm going to be pretty rough on it and I'm confident it'll last. A rundown of highs & lows: Highs: - Rich sound, great on distortion - Nothing confusing, very straightforward - Solidly put together right here in the USA, pretty reliable brand - Relatively lightweight, easy to jump around and really move with - Bridge isn't a string-thru or anything, very easy to lower or raise the action as well as to change the strings Lows: - Bridge has a very jagged shape, resting your hand there is pretty uncomfortable, doesn't feel like a string-thru which is very smooth - Neck is moderately thick and is painted on so you can't widdle it down which means - It isn't exactly a fast player, much easier to play lightening fast solos on smaller and more precise guitars - Tuners. Don't count on them, if you're really serious about it and you have the money, go ahead and get them replaced - The thing that annoys me the most: There's no cutaway in the body right around where your forearm goes. It doesn't matter what position you're in: seated, standing, on your back, upside down for all I care, the edge of the guitar is always going to be in the way. Quality is definitely sacrificed for vanity here, it just doesn't make for comfortable playing which means you can't play at your best. This is why I don't think I'd gig with it. You can get them for about $100 now. Or if you have good friends, less than half of that. I'd recommend it to beginners or those strapped for cash. A good guitar. // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: whatthefunk, on august 08, 2005

Features: When it comes to features, this guitar isn't all that great. Mine was made in China (I think), has 22 frets, a single P90 bridge pickup, 1 tone knob, 1 volume knob, a wrap-around (not sure what to call it) style bridge, a tonewood body, standard tuners, and perhaps a rosewood fingerboard, but I'm not quite sure. Not many features. But then again, you can't really complain since it's such an inexpensive guitar. // 8

Sound: I pretty much play everything, from reggae to funk to hard rock and I guess this guitar sounds decent all around. While I find it best suited for anything that uses powerchords and heavy distortion, the clean sound isn't that bad. I gotta tell you though, the pickup buzzes way more than it should. Furthermore, the lack of a neck pickup really limits your versatility, but what can you expect for such a low price? By the way, I've been using my Fender 15-watt practice amp, so maybe that's why it buzzes. Though my other guitars sound fine on it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was alright I guess, except for maybe the pickup. The finish was so-so and always attracts fingerprint smudges. The action seemed fine for me. However, since this guitar is so cheap, I wouldn't bother spending much for a good setup. Also, the thing I really hate the most about this guitar has got to be the finish on the neck. It feels like it's painted and tends to stick to my hand, consequently making the neck not quite as fast as I'd like it to be. // 6

Reliability & Durability: While this guitar is durable and probably would be able to handle live playing, I probably wouldn't use it live mainly because everyone would laugh at me for using a 99 dollar guitar at a gig. Aside from the embarrasment factor, the strap buttons seem solid enough and everything seems built to last. If I had to bring this to a gig, I'd probably use it as my last last backup, for when my backup guitar needs a backup. In fact, you should never gig without a backup. Better to be safe than sorry. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, you really have to see this guitar for what it is a bargain guitar. It's affordable, so it'd make a great beginner guitar, gift, or whatnot. It's good for music that uses lots of distortion and looks kinda cool (I have the black one). However, if you're serious about playing I'd recommend you save a little more for a guitar with more features like a Strat, SG, or Les Paul. Other than that, for the money, you can't beat it. // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: ThisLastBrandon, on july 19, 2006

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Sound: This guitar has amazing sound and fits any style I play. I like to play punk, emo, funk and maybe metal. I use this guitar with a DigiTech Whammy pedal, DigiTech Grunge pedal, Rocktron Silver Dragon, and a CryBaby Slash Wah pedal. I use a Fender DSP 150W amp. The guitar works amazingly with this. The guitar is not noisy but the high is much more vibrant than the low, making any acoustic chords very screechy unless you lower the tone knob. The guitar can give you growling lows or screeching highs. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up on this guitar was terrible and I did not play this guitar at all until I had it set up for better strings (I use Dean Markely 14-56's) The pick ups and bridge were fine. One tuning knob is loose and skips when you tune down (G) other than that the guitar was fine out of box. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is amazing for live play but the tuning knobs could give you a problem. My strap button screws loosend a lot and one eventually ripped out. I would not use any guitar on a gig with out a backup. The finish is easy to chip but doesn't wear. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music but the bridge humbucker gives an amazing sound for bluesish solos and more of a slash solo sound. I've been playing for 4 years now and I own a Schecter devil elite and a Squier Strat. If this guitar was stolen I would definitely buy another because it is a favorite of mine. I love this guitar for its cutting tone and its durability. I don't like the easy chip paint and the blank trust rod cover. I haven't really compared it but I thought about getting an Alinco II pickup and I wish it had a neck pick up also. // 9

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: erthegreat, on may 28, 2007

Purchased from: musician's friend

Features: This was an '06 or '07 model, made in China. It has 22 frets, and a laminated finish all over. The finish gets dirty, but comes clean nice with a good polish. It has a classic les paul body and a single humbucker with passive electronics. The tuners don't lock, but it holds nicely anyway. The included gig bag doesn't fit, which is stupid, but it also comes with a 10w Epiphone amp, strap, and pitch pipe. // 7

Sound: It fits my style ok, I'm a classsic rocker. I can't get much out of it on Drive channels, but I'll put that one to my amp that it came with. I have tried it with my friend's Fender amp and Deathmetal distortion pedal, and it sounds great. The sound is fairly decent while picking and playing power chords, but if you play normal chords on Drive it can get a little messy. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was flawless when it arrived. The pickups were in place, it was already stringed, and it had a perfect finish. It wasn't tuned, but I don't know if that is Standard. I looked it over again and again, but I couldn't find any flaws. The action is a wee bit tight on the E, and that can cause "buzzing" if you pick it too hard, but that problem is avoidable. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is tough. It has taken some nasty falls from my little brothers and it held up fine. I don't have to worry about this breaking on me. My only complaint is the strap buttons. The strap constantly fell off(which contributed to the falls my guitar took)but I purchased a strap-lok from dunlap (great quality) and it is all good. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an alright fit for classic rock, but I believe it would be better for blues. This was my first guitar, and I have only purchased other small items like tuners and polish. It was recomended to me by a friend Who had been playing a long time and it is an excellent choice for a beginner on a limited budget. If I were to start all over, this would be my first guitar of choice. It is a simple, easy to handle guitar for a beginner, and has a good enough range to play almost any style of music for a novice. It beats out other slightly more expensive guitars, like the Lyon a guy I play with has. // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: FasterLouder76, on september 29, 2007

Features: I was hungry for a Gibson Les Paul Junior, particularly a twin cut-away model. When I found out that these were a few thousand dollars out of my price range, I stated looking at the Epiphone Juniors. I had owned a 1991 Epiphone SG that was stolen & I was happy with the quality, so I had no problem lookin' to Epiphone for a Junior. I wound up purchasing a single cut-away version, as the twin cut's weren't made anymore by Epiphone. These have a basswood body, a wraparound stopbar, 22 frets, a rosewood fret board & a t-top humbucker. One volume pot, one tone pot.Nice & simple-the way I like it. Not much wood has been routed out of the body for pickups & switches & that's the way I like my guitars. Nice rich sound. // 9

Sound: I would have liked a single P-90 pickup instead of the t-top humbucker & I've since seen that Gibson have released a P-90 that fits where a 'bucker once resided. Nothing wrong with the humbucker, I just really wanted that trademark P-90 sound. The humbucker will be installed in the neck position of my Telecaster when I swap in the P-90. The guitar sounds great. I mainly play proto punk, Johnny Thunders, Dead Boys, Ramones etc, but bust out early Zeppein riffs when the mood strikes me. For only having minimal controls & one pickup, the variety of sound I cn get from this guitar is surprising. I've made a few mods since buying it. I replaced the stock wraparound tailpiece/stopbar with an intonated one-big improvement. The next mod was a TUSQ man-made ivory nut, I am amazed at the difference this made & reccomend it to all! The tuning machines however, are aweful. I complained & was given a complete replacement set from the store I bought it from & picked one OK set from the two. It's staying in tune, but only for a half hour of jamming. The next mod will be some Grover or Klasson tunes. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up by the store. The action was fast & low-I was impressed. Until I installed the intonated stopbar & gave those two screws a few turns-the action is so low and fast now it is unlike anything I've seen without a lot of fret buzz! There were no flaws, apart from the afore mentioned tuners. I've owned it for three months now & I still haven't put a scratch on it, despite playing it several times a day. It really is a nice piece of wood. Lots of carnuba wax & damn it looks the business! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm not in a band, but jam with friends every day in a cramped room & it holds up fine. I'd gig with it anytime. A friend in a band used it for a night & he loved it. All the hardware is nice, well made & solid, except those damn tuners! The finish is great, you get a lot of guitar for your money & with a few little upgrades-tuners, nut, stopbar-you have a beautiful instrument. // 9

Overall Impression: I love it. It won't be going anywhere soon, unless some scumbag steals it like my SG. If it was stolen, I'd replace it with the same model, no question. It loves playing punk, hard rock, blues & even slide. Everyone who has played it loves it. Me especially. // 10

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: jeffo46, on december 10, 2007

Features: I'm assuming that mine was made around 2003-04.It has the Silver finish, along with a set of really cheap tuners, stock humbucker, and wrap around tailpiece bridge. It's made out of mahoghany, and has a single cutaway style, along with passive electronics, which consist of, one volume, and one tone knob. The frets on this are very thin. // 6

Sound: If you play classic rock or metal, then this is the axe for you. I play it through a 1996 American made, Peavey Studio Pro 112, along with a DigiTech RP50 effects processor. By adjusting the tone knob, you can get a wide variety of tones. If you use distortion, and have the knobs up all the way, it can get very noisy, and will produce some serious feedback. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The chinese do not know how to set up guitars properly. I ended up doing a lot of mods on this guitar. First, I put in a Duncan detonator pup, then I installed some Grover tuners. Lastly, I took off the wraparound tailpiece, and put on a bad ass bridge with individual bridge saddles. Now, it plays and sounds like a monster. It cost me around $100.00 to do these mods, but it was worth it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: At first, I wouldn't take this to a gig, buit now after modifying it, I have used it at several shows and it really kicks ass. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, and have even had a few offers to sell it, but, no way, I'm keeping it. Now, I can say that I can depend on it, and wouldn't need abackup at all. I'm a huge Leslie West fan, and this captures his tone right down to the T! // 8

Overall Impression: I play a mixture of classic rock, blues, and '80s hair metal and this guitar can do it all. I do wish that Epiphone would either relocate their factory, or do a better job teaching their employees how to build and set up guitars properly. It wouldn't hust to have Grover tuners put on these, because the ones that come stock with this really suck. Raise the price a little if you have to, but do some modifications on this model and you'll have a guitar that'll be a top seller in no time. // 7

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: Blue_Strat91, on december 26, 2007

Purchased from: ebay

Features: This guitar was made in 2001, has 22 frets, rosewood (or some facsimile thereof) fingerboard, it's made of a really light wood, probably some cheap composite. Satin platinum finish looks rather good considering the price. Wrap-around bridge that does not allow for very accurate intonation. Passive electronics. 1 volume, 1 tone control. One humbucking pickup, stock Epiphone. Tuners very cheap. No included accesories, but I bought it off ebay, so that could vary. // 6

Sound: For classic rock and blues, it works decently. I run it through a BD-2, an SD-1, an Epiphone Valve Junior, and a Fender FM212R. It's a little noisy on high gain settings, but what guitar isn't? The guitar has a suprising amount of versatality, the tone and volume controls work well to vary the sound from real round and jazzy to biting and crisp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action only needed a minor adjustment to fix it to taste, but that's not a real problem. The pickups I also adjusted to meet my needs, but that's alright as well. Routing was fine considering the price, it does the job. A little bit of silver paint on the fretboard near the body, but it isn't very noticeable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've modified this guitar a bit to make it hold up better, such as replacing the machine heads, swapping out the pickup, and screwing seat belt material (as the strap) directly to the body as to effectively lock the strap to the body. I would depend on it in a gig situation, as long as I had the opportunity to tune often, as it doesn't always seem to stay in tune. Bad nut possibly? // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, I like the looks of this guitar, and the sound is pretty good to boot. I've been playing for 4 years, and this is my backup to my modified Fender Stratocaster. If I lost it, I would kick myself for being so careless, seeing as I believe that a guitar is a guitar, and thus has some potential, but I don't know whether I would buy another. My only real complaint is that I wish it would both intonate and stay in tune better. // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: Instant Mash, on september 23, 2008

Price paid: A$ 199.99

Purchased from: Five Star Music

Features: This guitar was made in China in November 2006. It has 22 frets, a rosewood fingerboard, ebony finish, with a wrap-around bridge. One volume, one tone, with a single humbucker. // 7

Sound: I play mostly heavy metal, punk, and some classic rock. This guitar is well suited to those sounds. Although I would not recommend it for blues or country, it is surprisingly versatile and can still get a somewhat decent sound in those areas. I use it through a 15 watt Fender Frontman amp which does bring out it's heavy sound, but through a more powerful amp, I can only describe the sound as great. As I previously mentioned, this guitar can make pretty much whatever sound you are looking for, to a decent extent. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, there was not a single problem with it. The action was perfect, and so was the pickup. Eight months later, and I have yet to find any problems. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar would withstand Live playing, and I would gladly use it without a backup. Although, you would most definitely need strap locks since the strap buttons are a bit sub-par. I have played this guitar a lot in the fairly short time I've owned it, and I can safely say the finish is good to last. I play it hard, I play it often, and there is not a single fault with the finish. While I'm very careful with it, it has hit a couple of things, but there is not a single mark on it. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is definitly most suited to heavy distortion (Heavy Metal, Punk etc). I've been playing for almost 2 years, and also own a Strat copy, in which there really is no comparison between the two. In comparison to a Gibson model, I can honestly say that this guitar can just about equal it's sound quality. If you're a heavy rock guitarist on a tight budget, I definitely recommend this guitar. If it were lost or stolen, I would go out straight away, and buy another one. // 9

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 09, 2009

Price paid: £ 89.99

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: This must be the simplest guitar ever made, but probably my favourite and most used. I have an ample collection now, but I still choose my junior over the others, 1 pickup, 1 vol, 1 tone couldnt be easier. It's lighter than anything I've ever played, even some acoustics, I can play for hours and never feel strained. I do have a few problems with my own, I wouldn't advise the sunburst finish, les pauls look foul in sunburst, it's a Fender colour, I should've waited for the white or black finishes to become available. The tuners are presumably epiphones own Standard and one turn can drop or tighten by two steps at least, a bit risky when re tuning live. // 8

Sound: Personally I play a lot of punk and Indie rock style music, and the junior carries it well, not just in image terms, but I use a Line 6 POD XT and a Zoom GFX 707 simultaeneously, and often a few Behringer stomps, through a Carlsbro stack and the sound could not be much better. Small admission though, I have replaced the Standard humbucker for a custom wound P90. the humbucker gave too cleaner sound for a guitar that was re-released to be a punky, crunchy guitar. I would advise modification to access the full distortion available, but if you're seeking a cleaner chord based sound then leave the humbucker in! but aesthetically, don't cover the humbucker or leave a P90 bare! dog ear best bet! // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar from an ebay store so I'm not aware Who was responsible for the original set up, but it was highly unsuitable for my style, I play very low on my body and have a high action, the guitar arrived with the strings practically embracing the fret wires, however the rest of the guitar was flawless, even down to the polished neck plate. Overall, pretty sound but a few labourious minutes needed to alter the action. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar so often for Live gigs and studio, and it's sound hasn't faded in the slightest. Everything stil works, dials are a little loose after my ambitious throw to my tech who dropped the guitar on it's front but otherwise sound as a dollarpound. Strap never falls away, but I may invest in straplocks before long and the finish has chipped in places, so I would advise learning to respray guitars if you are going to buy one for the tempting price. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, the guitar was a worthwhile investment but I have put in several man hours making it the guitar I want it to be, whereas others may not be inclined to, but this is the perfect guitar to modify, there's so little that can go wrong and if you do end up frying the pants off it, they're so cheap to replace. However I'm still on my original and proud, I'd choose to play this over any of my others. and if it got lost I'd buy another, put the hours in and ignore my other guitars still. I do wish it had a few internal circuits, but only mansons come with those these days! so I'll install my own! Well worth your time this axe, buy buy buy buy now! // 9

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: jaketyler11, on december 07, 2010

Features: One cutaway, Les Paul body. 22 frets and a humbucker pickup. A volume and a tone knob. Standard Epiphone headstock. Black pickguard (on the black finish, not sure about other finishes). One problem is it gets out of tune pretty often, some strings more than others (the higher 3 strings don't get out of tune as much as the top 3 strings). // 8

Sound: Great for punk rock and blues (Green Day, The Offspring). I use a Fender Bronco amp. Don't put the gain to high or have it too clean, try to keep it somewhere in the middle. Also good for playing unplugged, it's a lot louder unplugged than most other electrics. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Great Setup. Pickup and bridge adjusted fine. Love the headstock, it's a Standard Epiphone headstock. I have the solid black finish, it's never chipped, the only problem is it shows fingerprints but thats not the guitars fault plus i just wipe them off. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has had no problems playing live. I have had it for 3 years and it has never chipped or scratched. The strap buttons are O.K. the top one I have never had problems with, but the strap constantly constantly falls off on the bottom peg. I can depend on it just fine, the only reason I would bring a backup would be if a string broke. The finish hasn't worn off at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk or rock music and it is great for it. I have been playing for 7 years, I also have a Fender Bronco amp and a Fender Stat. If it were stolen or lost I would buy it again mostly because it's really cheap and I think it has great quality. If there is one thing I wish it had it would be a whammy bar. // 9

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: moonman1225, on january 05, 2011

Purchased from: E-Bay

Features: Made in 2009ish, in Korea. Standard L.P. neck with Rose wood fret board.it was used and still the frets were sharp on the ends, a touch with a little 400 grit while I was re-stringing took care of that. Mahogany was used for the body and neck, and a black and Orange paint job finishes the guitar. It would be right at home at a Harley run, with the black/orange colors, I think Epiphone calls it sun burst. LP single cut body, Tune-o-matic bridge, 1 vol., 1tone, single pick-up stock from Epiphone. p.o.s.tuners, no name on them, I'm sure the guy who made these won't want to take credit for them.I know its a cheap guitar, but how much would it add to the price to use a tuner that holds. Strap buttons are SOLID, came in a super Parker gig-bag. // 7

Sound: The L.P.jr. is a good sounding, well balanced, solid guitar with crap tuners. I use a Vox multi-effect practice amp, a Fender 15G and just for kicks a Johnson 30w Acoustic amp. The Vox gives a bunch of effect sounds, all sound good, the Fender with the Drive button in gives a nice Rock sound, and cleaned up it is at home with modern Christian. It is a Keep It Simple kind of guitar with good sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Again it was used, set up by a bass player when I got it, I set it for myself, but it is still not as low as I would like, but I got some buzz on the A and D strings, so I left it up and put new nickle strings on, touched the end of the frets. The finish, from the factory was good, a thick coat, no grain showing, a scratch or two on the neck, that I touched up. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Sure any guitar will stand live play, I am very careful with my guitars. Live I use an Epiphone L.P. standard, so this guitar is my back-up.the only reason I can think of to play without a back-up is that I only owned 1 guitar, like not bringing an extra set of strings along. I wouldn't start out with this guitar by choice, the tuners, but I would finish a set with it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play Rock(the old man type), Jazz, Blues and some newer Christian. The Jr.works just fine, sounds clear and at a price that you could start a Who cover band. I go for numbers rather than Quality(PRICE)I have the 2 Epi.L.P.'s,and an Epi. AJ200, got used on E-bay, a pair of Squires, a Strat and a Tele, a Jay Turser semi-hollow body and a Vintage Framus hollow body w/a single pick-up and just a volume control. If lost or stolen I would only buy another if I could get it for $32.90 again.there are too many other guitars out there that I haven't played yet. For what it cost me I even love the crappy tuners.I will look for some snob who is changing out the Grovers on a L.P.standard and snag them for a couple bucks and fix the only real fault with Junior. // 7

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: Epiphone321, on april 25, 2011

Features: This guitar was made in about 2002. It has 22 frets and a black ebony finish. It has ONE stock Epiphone humbucking pickup. It has a normal Les Paul body. I'm not sure what the fretboard is made of but it has Dot inlays. It has one tone knob and one volume knob. The tuners are just stock Epiphone tuners. // 7

Sound: The music I like to play is rock n roll ( ACDC, GNR) and metal (sabbath, metallica) This guitar sounds perfect for it! It can get a good heavy sound for the sabbath, but if needed it can get a soft clean sound for some GNR stuff. I run this guitar through a Traynor Studio Mate 10 and sometimes a Marshall MG 10 watt. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar wasn't set up terribly but not great. The tuners were crap and cane out of tune super easy so I got those swapped out. Other than that though there really wasn't any other flaws. It's a pretty well-built guitar :) // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand live playing. The hardware seems to be pretty good and I have not had any problems with it. The strap buttons kind of suck. I taped my strap in a way so it wont fall off cuz it did keep falling off. At a gig I think I probably be able to use this guitar without a back up. Since the strap has fallen off many times I've dropped the guitar lots of times and it only has a few minor scratches. Pretty good finish if you ask me. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said I play metal and rock and this guitar suits it perfectly. I personally do not have any other guitars but compared to my brothers squire Strat and my friends Peavey this guitar beats both by a long shot. If it were lost or stolen I would probably buy this again if I could find it anywhere. One thing I wish it had were instead of one stock humbucker it had two Seymour duncans but I guess if it had that it would be just a normal Les Paul huh? Anyway this is a sick guitar and love it to bits. I nicknamed it shar it honor of the girl I love "sharla" haha anyway like I said great guitar and I for sure recommend it to anyone thinking of buying it :). // 7

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2011

Features: Features are simple. 1 tone, 1 volume, 1 pretty HOT humbucker. The finish is very high gloss on mine. I have the Vintage Sunburst model. I have no idea what "tonewood" is and I work with trees for a living, but that's what they say it's made from. The Bridge is a Vintage style wrap around, like on a 1965 Gibson SG. I have no problems with it. The tuners are average. Nothing special. // 6

Sound: For classic rock and blues, it works great. I play through a Twin Reverb. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: These guitars are set-up and inspected in the USA. I adjusted the intonation and action when my son said he wasn't interested anymore and wanted to play hockey. But from the factory, I would say it was set up pretty nice for a $100 guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Change the tuners and you have a guitar gig worthy. Otherwise, a lot of string bends and it goes out of tune pretty bad after about 40 minutes or so. Some strings more then others. I would also recommend strap locks for playing live. As far as reliability, I doubt the wires are going to come off the pots or pick ups. I have dropped it a few times and it hasn't broke yet. // 7

Overall Impression: Great guitar for rock n roll, blues, and classic rock. I have been playing 20+ years. I stopped keeping track around the 20 year mark. I own a couple USA Fender Strats, and a couple Gibson Les Pauls. I originally bought this for my kid who thought he wanted to get into guitar. Needless to say, he didn't take to it after a year. So now I play it. The quality is not great next to a USA Fender or Gibson, but for $100 this is not a bad guitar.I pretty much beat the shit out of it and it keeps on playing just fine. A few modifications and you can have a really decent instrument.If it were stolen, by some dumb ass who would steal a $100 guitar, I wouldn't replace it. I don't need it. I play out regularly and have a pretty good collection of pro quality guitars. What I like about the guitar is the pick up. Sounds a lot like my Standards through my Twin Reverb with low gain. High gain, this pick up sucks. For the price, you can't go wrong with this guitar. It is well worth the money. And if you can play, you can play on any guitar. // 8

Les Paul Junior Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2012

Price paid: A$ 140

Purchased from: Sky Music

Features: This guitar has a single cutaway Les Paul style body, 22 frets, a wrap-around bridge, one open-coil humbucker in the bridge position, and one volume and one tone knob. The headstock is in the Standard Epiphone style and there is a black pickguard. This model has the Vintage Sunburst finish, which I love. // 10

Sound: Most of the time I play punk (especially Green Day!), so this guitar fits into the genre well. I use it with a Kustom Dart 10 (amp), and I also use the DigiTech Hot Head Distortion pedal with the Marshall VT-1 Vibratrem (tremolo obviously!) Playing it through the cleam channel with both knobs up all the way to 10, with my amp's volume on 3/8, its very loud, but put turn on the HOT Head, and its a lot quieter. When I use this with the distortion on, that very annoying buzzing you can hear is very quiet. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is only my 2nd electric and to me, it is amazing. The factory setup is perfect, there was no need to change the action at all. The guitar had no flaws whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar for 2 hours, and I think that it can withstand live playing. All of the hardware is solid, and will not budge, same with the strap buttons. Personally, I would not use this without a backup. The finish would last a while, it seems pretty thick. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar since I was 10 (been playing for 4 years now), and my other guitars were pretty bad compared to this one. The guitar is normally $300, but I got it (with new strings, and polished) for $140, so I'm very happy. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would buy a new one straight away. I love EVERYTHING about this guitar, its very light so I can carry it around with minimal shoulder pain. I was looking the White and Ebony models as well as this one, and I thought that Vintage Sunburst suits me best. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014