Les Paul Junior Billy Joe Armstrong Signature Review

Reliability & Durability: 8.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.9
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Les Paul Junior Billy Joe Armstrong Signature Reviewed by: starbomb13, on august 30, 2005

Features: This is a cheaper replica of the 1956 Gibson LP Junior (one of Billie Joe Armstrong's main axes in "American Idiot") - very simple: 1 tone and volume, one P-90 pickup, 22 frets, wraparound bridge. I'm not sure where mine was made, doesn't say on the axe, though I've found that these gtrs. Are either made in Korea, Indonesia, or China, depending on which one you happen to get. It has a cutaway body, and small frets, which I like. // 8

Sound: The sound is full and crunchy, with a bit of crisp-good for playing some power chord rock/punk, like Green Day, Blink 182, Foo Fighters, Transplants etc. I find that the P-90 can buzz, but that isn't too much of a problem. It's mainly one sound you get-since there's not many features, but it's a great sound that isn't stale or weak. I use this as a practice/everyday guitar, that I can bang around with, along with a Roland MicroCube. They go well together, because the MicroCube has lots of features that make up for the lack of variety in the Epi. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got, the action and string height was already adjusted the way I like it, so not mant changes there. I got it used (a 5+ years), so there were knicks on the headstock, sides, and back (belt buckle), but they were all relatively minor. Nothing to negatively affect the sound, so I'm not complaining. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Everything seems solid/dependable, can probably withstand hard use. // 8

Overall Impression: I've always wanted a guitar to produce the simple power rock sounds, 'cause my Yamaha has too thin a sound. I love that this has the P-90 pu, 'cause the newer LP Junior models have replaced it with a cheaper model, so they can sell it for a lower price and therefore make more sales from beginners and bargain, finders. The new ones sell for just over 150$ CAN, while the older ones went for almost 300. If this were 300$, I wouldn't have gotten it, I would've saved up a bit more and gotten something a bit higher in ranks. I do recommend the newer mods though that are cheaper, they sound nice and are worth it. Overall, for the price I got it for, it was way worth it. // 10

Les Paul Junior Billy Joe Armstrong Signature Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 03, 2006

Features: This guitar was built off the design of Gibson 1957 Les Paul Junior. Nowadays, the only modern band I've seen with this guitar is Billy Joe Armstrong from Green Day, who has 3, distinctly coloured Gibson versions, and one stickered up Epiphone. It has the same features and is built in pretty much the same way. It has 22 frets, a solid body and a nice finish. It has a single cutaway, and has one tone, and one volume knob. It features a cheaper version of the P-90 pickup, and while this is the only setting, it sounds beautiful. The tuners however, straight up suck. The low E takes forever to tune, and you can't even tune it properly either. The others aren't bad, but if you play for more than an hour at a time, then it goes right out. While you should get these replaced, the actual guitar itself is just great. The strap buttons, while it takes forever to get a strap on, I've found that it stays on there. The guitar is beautiful to look at and I stare at it forever. The neck is descently long and feels really snug. It may be kinda sharp on the fret board, but you can shave the frets down pretty easily. The wrap-around bridge is pretty annoying. It comes apart if you take all the strings off and it takes forever to put it back. So if switching strings, leave atleast one or two on when switching. It's also kind of sharp so don't rest your hand on the bridge when playing. // 8

Sound: My style differs alot. I have a PRS Billy Martin SE which is great for a heavier, darker sound, a Jackson JS20, a Fender Squire, and an Alverez acoustic. This one works best for the kind of rock/punk style close to modern Green Day. Thankfully, they're my favorite band and all of, not only their songs, but most punkish bands seems to sound the best on this guitar. It sounds great when distorted, and still has a slight gentle sound to it which is great when doing some soft picking. Without distortion, it can sound really soft and beautiful. It gives off a great sound, although it may only have one pickup, and one tone knob, but does it not matter. Like I said, this is great for rock/punk, but even for very mellow songs, it sounds fantastic. There is very little buzz, and even then, you won't want to stop playing it so no one will notice. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: As I said before, the tuners suck. That is my only real complaint about this guitar. Although I can't complain 'cause I got this for 100 bucks canadian brand new. But still, I would've paid a higher price for some better tuners. Get them replaced as soon as you can get some cash to do so. As for flaws in the finish, there are absolutely none except for the straches that I've made mysel. The guitar feels pretty fast when playing, and is gorgeous with a really unique pickguard, so it looks cool when playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The only nicks or anything on this guitar were ones I had caused, and those were super hard, but and slight bump or anything seems to hav no affect on the guitar. The strap buttons are a bitch to get a strap on, but it's solid and will hold. But if this guitar fell, it's no really big deal. The tuners are pretty bad however. I only recommend a backup just because of the them, but if you get them replaced, you should hav no problem. // 9

Overall Impression: Rock and Punk players can't go wrong with this guitar. If you have an extra hundred bucks lyin around, check this baby out and work it around to your expectations. I've played for about 2 years, and this is one of my favorites. With a beautiful sound, and a gorgeous look, for its price, I would so replace it if anything were to happen to it. Again the tuners, they really need to be replaced, but the hardware, and sound are to die for. Whether it be through a practice Fender amp, or a huge Marshall, this thing sounds amazing and is great for a live gig. It's price, $100.00, is just great and the idiots who spend like 3 grand on a Gibson are really just wastin their money because if you get this guitar, you're getting the great body and everything, and switching the tuners and shaving the frets and it would be the same. With all that stuff done, you'd be spending 300.00 or 350.00 at max on this guitar, which is still an amazing price. You can't go wrong! // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014