Les Paul Slash Signature Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 01/14/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Slash Signature
2 Open Coil Humbucker Pickups. Black Hardware. Mahogany Neck. Rosewood/Trapezoid Fingerboard. Mahogany/Alder Body. Flame Maple Top.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.3
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (3) 47 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Slash Signature Reviewed by: behn_rocker, on march 01, 2004

Purchased from: Toombs Music

Features: This guitar was made shortly after the Gibson Slash Signature model was made. There were only 75 of the Gibson ones made, and this is a Epiphone Limited Edition, so there's not alot of these around. I think this one was made somewhere between 1997-1999. This is almost exactly the same as the Gibson version, except instead of a hand painted snake, it is a decal, instead of a pearl snake coiling up the neck, it is trapazoid inlays, and in the place of a carved snake in the middle of the head, it is a small Slash siganture. But the pickups are the same, so you will get the same sound. It is equipped with 2 Alnico II humbuckers. Like the Gibson one, it has 22 frets, and like any standard les paul, has 2 volume knobs, 2 tone knobs, and a 3 way selecter Switch. Unfortunately the 3 way selector Switch is very loose, and can break very easily, which sucks. The body has a wonderful red flametop which looks spectacular. The tuners and bridge are black, instead of chrome or gold (which Gibson usually uses), so it is an interesting change. The neck is a very fast neck, which makes for great soloing. // 8

Sound: I am a rock guitarist, and this guitar delivers the sound you need to play rock. When I bought this, there were no pickup covers, so they are open coils, which means a raw-er sound. When you play through full guitar volume on the bridge humbucker with distortion, you get a sound that you would expect to hear from Slash. Think Welcome to the Jungle or the ending solo from November Rain. If you play through clean with full volume and tone on the neck humbucker, you get the exact sound from the beginning of Knockin On Heaven's Door. If you play with full volume and no tone, you get almost a spanish guitar sound. When played through distortion you get an awesome creamy tone. Very cool. I am playing this through a Peavey amp and a Digitech50 multi effects pedal. If I can get a Slash sound through these things, imagine the sound you can get from a Marshall stack. Exactly. This is an excellent sounding guitar, and is perfect for hard rock, and a little punk. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar used, so I can't tell you what the factory set up was, but when I bought this, the action was still incredible. It is an incredibly fast neck, and has great frets. The finish is incredible looking, and this guitar has a beautiful red flametop. I think the exact color is called cranberry. Anyways. There are only 2 problems with this guitar I found. The 3 way selector Switch was very loose, and is now extremely loose after I was playing with it. The nut also isn't that wonderful. On the G and D strings it gets stuck on a pitch, then suddenly jumps up a few when I am tuning. But other than these minor defaults, this guitar is incredibly well built. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has very good reliabilty, and it is very durable. I've used this in a couple of live shows, and it has delivered well, getting a great sound, and a great tone for solos. I need to replace the pickup selector and the nut, but even with both of these in less then perfect shape, it still plays and sounds like a dream. The finish is very solid, and after months of getting scraped with my picks, looks like new. The strap button closest to the neck recently came out, and I need to get that repaired, but that happens with all of my guitars, so I'm not blaming that on the guitar. This is a very dependable guitar, and would use it on a gig with a short set-list without a backup. However, I would take a backup with me on a larger set list gig. So for reliability, durability, and dependability, the Slash Signature Les Paul is top notch. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my favorite guitar that I own. It has an amazing look, and amazing sound. I love everything about it, and my favorite feature is definatly the sound and look of it. This is the best sounding of my other guitars. It isn't a common guitar, and is kind of rare, so if you ever come across one, I urge you to buy it. It is a wonderful hard rock/punk guitar, but I wouldn't suggest it for nu-metal. I read about this guitar before I knew there was one near where I lived, and when I saw it, I knew immediately that I had to get it, and I definitely don't regret it. // 10

Les Paul Slash Signature Reviewed by: hajibad, on january 14, 2011

Purchased from: Mansons Guitar Shop UK

Features: -Made in China 2010 -22 frets, 24.75 scale, regular frets i presume -Solid top -Mahogany Body and Neck -Les paul body shape in case you haven't guessed. -Amber finish -Grover tuners -Slash alnico pro 2 custom Pickups -Comes with a case, 12 picks, lead and a little booklet of awesome. Its got everything you need on a guitar, can't really ask for more. Did with it came with straplocks and maybe even a strap, which should have been included seeing as the previous Slash models had them. The strings that came with it stock were quite sticky, and left a residue on the fingers but I changed them upon buying it. Otherwise its got pretty much all the features you'd expect from a Les Paul. // 9

Sound: Mostly a blues, rock, metal player, really into stuff like Marco Sfogli, Guthrie Govan, Clapton, ZZtop, Parkway Drive, GNR(Suprise!). I play it on a Roland Micro Cube at home, but Gig through a Marshall stack. Its not too suited to modern metal or playing fast in the high frets, but thats a problem with Les Pauls in general due to their heel design in the neck really. The Alnico pickups arent too great for modern metal either, as it doesnt have that tightness needed for more articulate palm muting. Nonetheless its still got enough bite for some Maiden or older Metallica. Of course if anybody buy this guitar for playing metal, they should probably see a doctor or never be allowed to touch a guitar anyway. This guitar was designed for rock, and that's where it excels. It responds beautifully to playing dynamics, and has incredible crunch and sustain. The bridge pickup has this incredible bite to it and solidness to it, with a very classic vibe to it. Neck pickup has a great smoothness to it, whilst being well defined at the same time. Turn down the tone knobs and you can get a November Rain sort of tone. The clean sound is also amazing, perhaps the best clean tone I've heard second apart from certain Strats I've played previously. It has a certain resonation to it, which is incredibly clear and defined. Its definitely got a more warm vibe to it thanks to the pickups and the fact its a huge slab of mahogany basically. One thing that especially impressed me is the cleans on the treble pickup. On many other guitars the treble pickup gives a very harsh thin sound, equivalent to someone taking a crap in your ears. I've owned an Ibanez RG, Iceman, ESP Horizon and Squier, this thing destroys all of them in the clean department. Good job Epiphone! In essence this thing is purely a rock guitar, and designed to make rock tones. The AFD epi definitely delivers, I daresay it sounds better than quite a few Gibsons I've tried. Blasphemous! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up at Mansons, and seeing as they've made guitars for Led Zeppelin and Muse, it felt like it was set up by God himself. However before the setup the action was a bit high, but that's more of a preference thing. Strings as previously mentioned weren't too great though. The Amber top was pretty well matched, wasn't the best, but its only really noticable if you look at it closely. However getting a well matched one is a bit of pot luck, I've seen other Epi AFD Les Pauls with terrible matches that might have been done by blind monkeys. Mine was pretty good though, can't really complain. Of course the finish itself is so ridiculously good looking that I can live with it really. The back, neck and headstock are coloured a dark wine red finish, which pretty much is the definition of sex appeal. The neck is incredibly smooth which makes fast playing super easy. The thickness of the neck is definitely something new to me, but its grown on me quite a bit as it makes bends more controllable and easy. Tuners are Grover tuners, pretty much speaks for itself. I love the Vintage finish to them, definitely a great finishing touch. The headstock has a Slash skull logo on it, also on the included case. I personally don't like it having bought the guitar mainly for its looks and classic rock sounds and not so much for the Slash factor, but again its a preference thing. Problems are very minor finishwise; where the amber top meets the mahogany there is a bit of paint overlapping, again not overly noticable but may be an issue for the more finicky of guitarists. What I have noticed though is that on the neck a few frets there are signs of the wood drying, which could affect the guitar in the future. However a bit of lemon oil should remedy that. Overall quality is incredible, with only minor flaws that are hard to notice. Yet again with Epiphone, quality can vary so it might depend on the guitar you get! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid, you could cut down trees with it. You could smash it against a tank and the only thing you'd damage is well, the tank. The tulip style tuners protrude a bit more than regular tuners and are a bit thinner so that might be an area of worry, but seems solid for now. I havent had this guitar long enough to see how durable it is really, but previous Epiphone LPs ive tried have had problems with: - Strap buttons stripping out - Bad pickup wiring, leading to reduced pickup output or not output at all at times. - Input jack becomes wobbly as the hex holding it loosens. - Toggle Switch becoming loose - Volume/tone knobs coming loose. However this guitar definitely seems more solid than other Epiphones I've tried, so I hope it wont happen. The strap locks definitely seem more solid, but strap locks are always a good idea. Id be reasonably confident only using this guitar, but I would also bring another guitar, but moreso for tuning reasons. Finish is incredibly well done, but is prone to picking up fingerprints easily. // 9

Overall Impression: As a rock player, this guitar is more than ideal for anyone looking for a good guitar unless you demand a lot of high fret access. There really isnt any major faults about it, apart from being too awesome, the fact I don't have 10 more of them and me not being able to put it down for more than 5 minutes. For a classic rock enthusiast, this is definitely a highly considerable option, and looks the part too! One problem I do have is the cost, seeing how its cost is based off the novelty of having Slash's guitar. You could probably get a similar sounding guitar if you put Slash's pickups into a Standard Epiphone, yet again a case, lead and picks are included. Its more an investment for the Slash fan, but as I've mentioned a squillion times before its amber finish is beautifulll, did I mention its beautiful? Honestly pictures don't do this justice, go out to a shop now, you can thank me later after you reattach your jaw. Its also quite a unique finish which will definitely turn heads and score you countless waves of women/men/women and men? In my honest opinion I think it looks better than the Gibson version (with the exception of the headstock design). Gibson normally uses nitrocellulose finishes, which improve the guitars tone but isnt as glossy as the Epiphone polyurethane finish. Perhaps on a sunburst the faded look would be more appealing, but I personally love glossinessness on the Epi version. As already mentioned, my only request is that it came with straplocks like previous models, and maybe a free yacht. Otherwise I'm extremely impressed with this guitar, far exceeding previous Epiphone models I've tried. I recommend you all go out and buy it now, should you not like it you can donate it to me. // 9

Les Paul Slash Signature Reviewed by: Zen_13k, on october 28, 2009

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: pawn shop

Features: This guitar was made from 1997-1999, mine being from 1997. It has 21 Frets, rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. Mahogany back with flame maple top, In a "Cranberry" finish, with Slash's snake pit logo decal on it. The tuners, stop-bar, bridge are all black chrome, a nice touch which complements the dark red colour amazingly. This Les Paul comes with Alnico 2 pickups, 2 volume, 2 tone knobs and a 3 way selector. This guitar came with a hardshell case. // 8

Sound: I play rock and metal mostly and this guitar is awesome for it. I play through a Fender G-DEC 30, so I can change a lot of the guitar sound through the amp. The pickups are silent even through some of the most distorted amp setting's on that amp. It has that thick Les paul sound. This guitar has a very nice clean tone, but it was built to rock. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I Got it used from a pawn shop, always a hit or miss with guitars. This one caught my eye and I had to get it, No regrets. The set up, well I can't really say what it was like due to a slight twist in the neck. However that being repaired, a fret dress and set up, it plays like a dream now. Again I got this guitar used, so it has its battle scars. But for being almost 13 years old at this point its in great condition, my only complaint is that the pickup selector is loose. Despite the fact it needed to be repaired i'm giving this guitar an 8 due to how it plays now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely be able to withstand Live playing. The hardware will last, its lasted 13 years now.. with minimal wear. The strap buttons are solid, but i'm considering some strap-locks for future upgrades. it's a dependable guitar, I would use it in a gig, but would take a backup if the set list had mellower songs on it. The finish is incredible, the guitar doesn't come with a pick guard so theres been a few times where I've hit the wood with picks, no damage thus far. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier I play rock/metal mostly, so this guitar suits that perfectly. I've been playing for nearly 2 years. I wished I had seen the neck twist, but its fixed now. If it were stolen, well it being a limited edition run, I doubt I could get another one. But I would try to track this one down. I love the finish on it, the dark red "cranberry " colour accented with the black chrome hardware. It was a purchase on site, and as said earlier No Regrets, even with the repair work I would recommend this guitar to anyone who is able to find one. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014