Les Paul Special II Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 10/03/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Special II
If you are looking for classic Les Paul looks and a humbucker sound, it is hard to go wrong with the incredibly affordable Special II. Features include a Mahogany neck, a Rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, volume and tone control, and chrome hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.8
 Features: 7.8
 8.1
 8.1
reviews (67) pictures (3) 180 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 12, 2004

Features: - Made in 2001 in the USA - 22 jump frets, rosewood fretboard - Mahogany/rosewood neck, alder/maple body - Dot inlays, chrome hardware - Ebony black finish - Les Paul form factor - Tune-o-matic bridge - One volume, one tone, one three-way Switch - Two humbucking pickups - Non-locking tuners - Came with gig bag, strap, cable, set of Dunlop Tortex picks, (2) Ernie Ball string packs. This guitar has some very nice features. It obviously isn't going to be quite as expansive as its "uptown cousins" as far as the on-board controls go, but for the price, the features list is very, very nice. Less controls for me to worry about anyway. // 8

Sound: I'm a metal player for the most part, and the distortion sound is very good. Even on my small Marshall MG Practice amp. The only un-wanted noises made are due to the amp limitation. At a respectable volume on my amp, this guitar really cranks out a full and strong sound. Especially after stringing it with the thicker strings needed to play in lower tuning. I now have a set of Zakk Wylde Boomers (10's) on it, and it sounds phenomenal, especially when paired with a better amp, like a Line 6 Flextone III. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has nice, even action all the way down the fret, and the pickups start off well and stay nicely adjusted now matter how much you play it. Nothing was damaged when I got it. Perfect condition. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I play at all kinds of places and volumes. It's good to bang on, and it can also be one you take nice care of too. It depends on what you want from it. However, it's quite capeable of covering any and all bases. The stop-bar tail peice might eventuall rust out after a couple more years, but it's an easy item to replace, and it eventually happens to all guitars from my understanding, so no big deal. I went for an entire year (moderate usage) without changing the strings, and none of them broke. They only recently started to sound a little off. I wouldn't be worried about anything breaking. The finish gets finger prints on it since it's pure black, but that's nothing a cleaning cloth won't take care of. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of metal and "nu-metal". Sevendust, System Of A Down, Skindred, Drowning Pool, Linkin Park, Dream Theater, Godsmack, and bands similar to them. The guitar fits in very well since most of the bands tend to use Les Paul's. I've been playing for about two years total, and playing regularly (every day) for about a year now. The only other guitar I have is a Jay Junior Dreadnought acoustic guitar. My LP is far more fun to play. And while my uncle has a music studio in Boxford that I go to every Sunday, with several different nice guitars including a Shecter Diamond Series, and a Dean Les Paul, I find myself playing my Les Paul Special II far more. If the guitar were lost or stolen, I might get a Custom Les Paul and string it with the same strings, just because of the extra features it has. If I wanted to save a few hundred for an amp though, I'd buy one of these again. It's a solid product for advanced users, and it's very beginner friendly as well. I love the sound and the look, nothing makes me hate any part of it. The only draw bag with the Les Paul's is they tend not to have whammy bars. No need on most the songs I play, but it would be a nice feature to add. But anyway, if you want a new guitar that can perform well for one hell of a price, stop sitting here and go buy an Epiphone Les Paul Special II! // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: CandyCaneChild1, on november 26, 2004

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: - Made in Japan - 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, dot inlays - Solid ebony body - Tune-O-Matic bridge - 1 volume and 1 tone control, 3 way selector - 2 open coil pickups - Epiphone 10 watt amp, picks, gig bag, video and strap included. Good guitar for beginner/intermediate players. Best value guitar for price. // 8

Sound: I play all styles of rock, and this guitar has been able to handle anything I dish out to it. By itself with no effects or pedals put through it, the pickups work very well. There is no feedback what-so-ever put through clean or distortion. They're definitly not the best pickups money could buy, but they are underpriced for this package. This guitar puts out a great sound. Although more tonal controls would be nice, I'm not complaining about it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: For a $200 guitar, it was put together extremely well for a factory guitar. I didn't have to adjust anything out of the box. Everything has functioned great, save for the machine tuning pegs that will come out of tune with relatively hard playing. Also, the input guard has bent a little over time. Other than those things, the guitar has functioned very well. I would have liked a polished finish, but it's still nice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is obviously good enough for live playing. The hardware on it has not faultied enough to make an extreme difference for playing live. The strap buttons will lose the strap easily, though, so get some strap locks if you plan on playing live. (It would suck to be rocking out a solo then have the guitar fly out of your hands). I can definitly depend on this guitar enough to use it in a show without a backup. I don't think the finish could last longer than a decade, but by then you should have gotten a better guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Anyone who has tried on a LP, knows that it fits any style of music, and the Epi version replicates it's Gibson brethren perfectly. I have been playing for around 2 and a half years, and this is my main guitar. I really like it's ability to go through so many different sounds with so little tone controls, but I don't like it's weak machine tuning pegs. If this guitar was stolen, I would probably just buy a Standard Epi LP, but only because this is a beginner/intermediate guitar. Great guitar for the money. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Jaz915, on march 14, 2007

Sound: I play main metal and thrash e.g. Metallica, Trivium, God Forbid etc. but also play anything from flamenco to country, '70s rock/blues. And this guitar handles these many different genres surprisly well. I play through a 50w Marshall MG50DFX amp (not the best amp ever). This guitar you would not expect to be able to handle the metal/thrash sound and speed. But amazingly handles it very well. Providing you are using balanced jack leads, it's virtually noise less when left up played. This guitar you can tell suits hi-gain and some distortion and gives a good quality tone, however it does seems to lack richness when on a clean tone, it seems to be either to treble or too bassy, never the less it is possible to get a nice warm tone once you get to know the guitar. I am seriously impressed with the quality of the sound, I have never played a guitar anywhere as good as this one for the price I payed. If you don't have much money this is definitely the guitar for you. I could be happier with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar arrived set up extremely well, the action seems perfect, nothing wrong with the pickups. Everything seemed to be perfect. Very good quality. I've had this guitar just over a year now and it still plays as if bought yesterday, very impressive! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar to be very reliable, I've never had a problem with it. I've never really even thought about if I could rely on it or not because it's never caused any problems. The hardware seems solid enough no signs of wear and tear. I would use it a gig and definitely depend upon it, it's easily capable of giving. The finish seems very hardwaring. However mines scratched to shit but that's my fault because I tend to chuck it about. But these scratches aren't really visible unless you look closely. Very reliable and durable. // 10

Overall Impression: Well I play metal lots. I mean this guitar can handle it well but obvioulsy not designed for this genre and I am looking to buy a new guitar. But for the price you wont fine anything as good as this even for playing metal. I've been playing nearly three years and playing this guitar for one or two years. Most definalty don't regret buying this guitar, it will probably stay with me till I die. If I only had around 100-140 I would definitely buy it again. I love how versatile this guitar is and never seems to struggle with anything I put it through with a great tone and sound. I would strongly advise if your into your metal, don't have that much to spend, and are looking for a great guitar to start learning with then you need this guitar. You won't find one as good for the same price. Obviously it's not the best guitar in the world, but for what pay it's amazing. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 02, 2010

Purchased from: imuso.co.uk

Features: Bought 2010 and made in same year. Standard LP-style 22 fret body without contours. (ie: flat slab top, exactly as originally preferred by Les Paul). Two pickups, 3 position switch and single volume and tone controls. No accessories included. Out of curiosity I removed the coverplate to check the wiring and found that to be rather sloppy so I was surprised that the instrument was silent and click-free. (Not sure how long that situation would last). The tune-o-matic bridge worked well which is just as well - as you'll see in a later comment. // 7

Sound: Sound was pretty crude and raw without any real finesse unless colume (gann) was wound back a fair way. I use a Peavey 50W amp which works well with my other guitars. One plus point - the guitar was silent when plugged in (although actually plugging it in was very difficult, as I'll explain later). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Finish was good as was the action but there were two HUGE negatives. (1) The tuners were rubbish and I was having to tweak the tuning almost every day without ever moving the guitar into different rooms or temeperature zones. Poor tuners seem to be perrenial problem with Epis. (2) The jack socket was a nightmare. To get the jackplug to engage and stay connected I had to use unreal amounts of force or it just popped out. The thing was clearly never tested. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I doubt that the guitar would have stood up to much heavy use without changing the tuners and the jack socket. I didn't keep it long enough to find out as I felt that I could never be able to trust it. In a fit of generosity, I donated it to my local Oxfam shop. // 2

Overall Impression: Looked good but was basically very poor in two key areas. A typical low-end Epiphone. I'd never advise buying one unless you give it a lengthy and tough test in the shop - even then, I'd recommend paying a bit more and getting a much better quality instrument. // 2

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Preszombie, on september 08, 2003

Features: 2001 model 22 Extra Jumbo Frets Solid Top 1 Volume 1 Tone 3-way selector controls H/H pickup configuration Factory pickups Active electronics Maple body w/rosewood fingerboard Black satin finish Les Paul body style Stop Tailpiece bridge style Factory locking tuners Rosewood jumbo frets No included accessories // 8

Sound: This guitar suits my musical style incredibly well. I play mostly rhythmn and a little lead and this guitar complements my style well. It has a very mean, crunchy punch when playing with distortion much like all Les Pauls, but a very clear, clean tone and sound at the same time. I'm using a small Crate GFX and a Peavey Raptor Plus with a DigiTech RP50 effects processor and the sound is AMAZING for an inexpensive beginner's model guitar. I am not a beginner, but yet I'd rather play this guitar over any others that I have. The guitar does have a tendency to get a little noisy when lots of distortion is used at the max volume level, but a simple noise compressor can solve that problem easily which is what I do. Very rich and full sound, just like a Les Paul should sound. This guitar can be used to play lead, but it better suites a distorted, crunchy rhythmn. I like pretty much everything about this guitar and I have no dislikes except that maybe more tone and volume controls could have been given. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up with great Gibson/Epiphone quality. The pickups were adjusted perfect. There are no noticable flaws with this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand live playing and hardware seems as if it will last for a long time. I have had to replace NOTHING but broken strings. The finish has not worn off yet, so it looks good in that area. With a little cleaning this guitar is always shiny and nice looking. The strap buttons are solid, but are a little small and would probably require a strap-lock depending on what kind of strap being used. I depend on this guitar when playing and I feel as if I can always depend on it. I would also feel comfortable using this guitar on a gig without a backup, but that is never recommended no matter what guitar you are using if it can be helped. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly heavy metal/Hard Rock and this guitar is a perfect match for those styles. I have been playing for almost 4 years and this is the best guitar I have. I own another guitar (A Peavey Raptor Plus stratoscaster). If this guitar were stolen or lost I would probably upgrade to a better Les Paul, though this guitar is definately a guitar for someone who is wanting to try out a Les Paul. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: AlMoStSaNe, on december 27, 2004

Features: Six months ago, I had just my Ibanez GRX-40, and I wanted a new guitar. My 16th birthday was coming up, and thats when I wantd to get my new guitar. Now, like many others, my parents (usually) controlled what I got, expecially something that's over $100. My parents are not rich, so I needed to find an affordable and goood-valued guitar. But me, I just wanted a Paul, so I found the cheapest one I could find; the Epiphone Les Paul Special 2, for 150 (I got a custom paint job that was $50 extra). Made in Asia, this Paul comes with 22 frets on a dot-inlayed fretboard. Though the neck was thocker than my Ibanez, I found this to be a plus side, there wasn't as much extra space between my fingers and the fretboard. Comes with a standard Paul body, but its not carved-top. Two open-coil humbuckers, one volume and one tone control, and a standerd Les Paul bridge make this one nice-looking guitar. // 8

Sound: I play hardcore/posthardcore music, some heavy stuff like As I Lay Dying, and some not-so-hard stuff, like From First To Last and Blindside, and let me tell you, there is no better guitar for octaves than this. It sounds amazing on distortion channels, but I usually play out of a Roland Cube-15, and the clean channel is rough at higher sound levels. But distortion is sweet! With my Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, it will knock your socks off. And plugging into a Marshall half? Watch out Kirk! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: No flaws, action is great. From soloing to shredding rhythm guitar, this is it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be great for live playing, because I actually saw a guy play with it at a gig I went to. It was pretty rad. The only concern I have with are the pickups - open-coil pickups just don't seem like they would last forever. Everything else is really great though, the finish is good, the straps are solid. // 8

Overall Impression: For my post-hardcore/hardcore style, there wouldn't be a better guitar for the price. Playing for about two years now, this guitar is pretty good, and I thoroughly enjoy it. If I did lose this guitar, I would make my parents get a Studio or something, just because I would want to upgrade, and get a carved top and gold hardware. But her, if you're living with cheap people or your budget doesn't allow for $4,000,000,000 guitars, then pick this one up for sure! // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Demagogue01, on june 14, 2005

Features: First off, all Epiphone parts are made in China, but the guitars ar assembled and inspected here in the usa at the Gibson factory, so all Epiphones are basically Gibsons with a smaller price tag. My guitar is a 2004 junoir model. This has nothing to do with size, just features. My guitar came with one open coil humbucker and volume and tone controls. It has a gloss black finish with a protective clear coat on both the body and frets, like most other Epiphones. // 6

Sound: I usually play hard rock, and this guitar works very well. It seems to sound very good no matter what style I play tho, wether it be hard rock, classic rock, soft accoustic songs, solos, or whatever. I have a cheap little Squire Sidekick with overdrive, and a 15 watt Marshall with basic distortion, and a DigiTech Death Metal pedal. It sounds good using the pedal on eithr amp, or the Marshall's distortion, but the Squire's overdrive just sucks. Either amp sounds perfectly clear and sounds great when played clean. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall this guitar came in excellent condition. All the wood is good with no flaws and all the meatl and hardware is bran new with no problems. Everything was perfect and ready to go except for one thing. The action was too high, way off from the Epiphone suggested height, but it was very easy to set it to my likings. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definatly withstand live playing. I've used it a lot and never had any problems with it. I don't expect the finish to wear any time soon. The pickup prolly wont last too long seeing how its open, and dirt and other stuff seems to be magnatized to it. At a gig I would use a back up either way just in case a bolt of lightning from god strikes my guitar, but I would definatly keep the back up in the van. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar works very well for my style, and any other. It plays very easy, and I can do anything I want with this guitar, except for use a wammy bar. I've been playing for just over a year and have a acoustic guitar as well, and have played many of my friends guitars, and I like this one the most. There is nothing really that I hate about the guitar, but it would be nice to have the higher model with more features. If it were stolen I would hunt down the person who did it and kill them. But if I couldnt find the prson, or my guitar got run over by a Mac truck somehow, I would definately by another Special 2 without hesitation. For the price, this is arguably the best guitar. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: FRDesign, on february 05, 2007

Features: My guitar was made in 2006. it's a Les Paul Special II. It is very basic with 1 tone knob, and 1 volume knob. It has chrome tuners which are non locking. The guitar has a Chrome Tune-O-Matic bridge which works great. I've broken a lot of strings, and this makes it quite easy to change them fast. I only gave it a 6, but if it had more features, I would have gave it higher. But what else can you get for this cheap. It is in the cherry sunburst finish. I'm hoping to get a pickguard soon. The store gave us 30 free picks and a cable, But I had to buy my own case. // 6

Sound: This guitar suits my style of music well. I mostly play classic rock, and bands like Velvet Revolver, Guns N' Roses, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. It sounds a lot like Slash's, which is good, because that's what I mostly play. It's great for me, and I'm playing with a crappy Yamaha 10W Amp. It sounded awesome with my friends Marshall. If you play metal, I would not suggest this, it's more of a blues sounding guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything is great, except for the Humbuckers don't seem right, they seem to be weirdly adjusted. The wood is good, and it looks nice, And the finish is lasting long too, which is good. Everything elsewhere was set up great, and it was ready to play as soon as I got it. There was one scratch on the back I didn't see however until I took it out of the case. If you did get this, Don't go on a gig with the strings it comes with. They break pretty much instantly. The treble/rhythm switch feels loose. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is heavy, and I believe it would last playing Live. I would bring a backup however, just in case of a string breaks, or anything else. The finish is great, and I love the color. The strap buttons seem to be put on pretty good. The stock stings sucked, and I replaced them with Dean Markley's which work great. Otherwise, I love how it feels, and I would bring an identical backup just in case. // 8

Overall Impression: If you only have a hundred or two to go out and buy a guitar, this one is a good bet. If you like classic rock and want to start playing with a guitar which sounds great, or just want another guitar you should consider this. If this got stolen, I would either get another one or a Epiphone Les Paul 100, the step above this. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: RoaryB., on february 04, 2008

Purchased from: www.gak.co.uk

Features: This guitar was made in China, I am not sure when. It has a fairly thick neck with 22 jumbo frets. Laminated Alder, in Wine Red with a Mahogany/Rosewood neck. Features the classic Les Paul body style with a Tune-O-Matic/Stopbar tailpiece and tone and volume knobs and a 3-way pickup Switch. The Pickups are open-coil Alnico V Humbuckers. A low-quality cable was included with the guitar. // 7

Sound: I play most styles that fall under rock. Mainly metal, punk and blues, lots of Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Metallica and this guitar handles each very well. It sounds amazing given it's price when I play it with my Vox ADVT-30, and I can use my DigiTech Grunge pedal with it for extra distortion, but it does tend to hiss quite a lot, this could be due to the pedal or the amp though. It has a nice acousticy sound clean as well. I mainly play it in treble, and it gives a good full sound, handling distortion very well. It suits my styles, and can make a wide range of sounds from thick heavy overdrive to all out scream with the right effects. Excellent sound given it's price, and very versatile. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, I did not have to make any alterations. It was very well set up at the factory, with a nice action, and I did not need to change the strings. There were some fine hair-like scratches in the finish, which was strange considering how well it had been packaged for transit, but other than that, it was fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would say the guitar could quite easily withstand Live playing, although I would definatley have a backup. The hardware is very sturdy chrome, although it could chip I would say it will last the lifetime of the guitar, and the strap buttons are rock-solid. It's a very hard wearing guitar, I have dropped it and knocked it several times to no I'll effect, other than some minor aesthetic damage in the finish. The finish is relatively easy to scratch, but I don't think it would wear off easily. All the same I would buy products to take care of the finish as it is a really nice colour. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for me, as it can adapt to most styles, and often surprises me with its versatile sound. I have been playing it for a year now, and while I previously played it with an ancient Marshall Reverb 12 it did not perform nearly as well as it has been with the Vox ADVT-30, so I would definitley recommend it with a quality amp. If it were lost or stolen, I'd be pretty upset, but might consider something like an Epiphone SG rather than buy another one. The things I like about it are it's looks, and it's awesome sound as well as it's unusual colour. I don't like the weight of it though, and the neck is a bit too thick for my liking. I sometimes wish it had some more features, but for the price you can hardly complain. An ideal choice for beginners I'd say. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: MommasHooligan, on october 04, 2008

Features: Well, I ordered this because I've never played on a Les Paul. So I decided to get the cheapest one that was out there. And I could say this is one of the best axes I ever bought.I got the white one just to add to the diverse color selection of my guitars. it's the basic package with no frills added to it. Chrome hard ware, 3 way toggle Switch, double coil pickups for bridge and neck, control knobs for volume and tone. The machine heads could be of better quality, but I'm not complaining. The fretboard is smooth front and back and very fast to play on. // 8

Sound: Beautiful. Just like a Les Paul should sound on any record that a guitarist plays on with it. Very warm and bright. I'm currently using it on an Ibanez 30w and it goes together just perfect. I play with every thing full blast, high gain, treble and mid. Again it's doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a Les Paul Standard. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not really a guitar virtuoso per se. All I know is that this guitar was ready to go out of the box. No fret buzz, or any other adjustments needed. The finish was flawless, of course now it's not because I put a beatdown on every guitar I have. The strings that come with it are garbage though. I use Elixir Super Lights anyway, and they compliment the pick ups very well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definitley play Live with this guitar. I have plenty of back ups to use and would Switch this out every other song or use it exclusivley. Very solid and well built guitar. But I'm willing to be that if it took a hard drop it probably would need some serious repairs. But that's why I use Strap Locks! // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk rock. This guitar gives me the sound I'm looking for and the ability to play fast with excellent palm muting tone. I'm definitely buying one in every color that Epiphone makes of the Les Paul Special II. I'll make some minor adjustment to some of them, such as replacing the machine heads and adding some EMG 85's and 81's to them just to have a diverse sound. I am perfectly satisfied with it and it has everything I need to play my music! // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Tyler Rogers, on november 18, 2008

Purchased from: Guitar Center in Modesto, CA

Features: Made in Indonesia, this 24-fretted Rosewood-neck guitar has a solid top. It's a deep black color, with a Les Paul body style and a Standard bridge style. This guitar features 3 controls: Tone, Volume, and a 3-way selector. It comes with two humbucker pickups. // 8

Sound: I play Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Funk, Blues, Jazz, and anything else in that area. This guitar suits it perfectly for it's shape, color, and amazing sound. I'm using an Electra practice amp and a Line 6 Pocket POD. It's only noisy when you want it to be. It is extremely easy to do what you want to do with it. No matter what style of music or sound it is, this guitar adapts to you. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is second-to-none. Perfect pitch, perfect height. The pickups could be better, though. One of them was a little tilted, but no biggy. Both the bridge and the top were perfect, and when I got the guitar it had no problems, but when I got my first one, it had a manufacturing problem that consisted of a loose G-string peg, a loose neck, raspy frets, and the nut that holds up the amp jack input was there, just under the base plate... // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could easily withstand Live playing, built-to-last hardware, solid strap buttons, and a long-lasting finish. You wouldn't have to worry about many problems with it. It's very dependable, reliable, and durable on the road or just in the studio. It should last long, even with a constant use. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Rock, Classic Rock, Metal, Funk, Blues, Jazz, and anything else in that area. A great matching guitar. I had not a doubt in my mind if I wanted this Les Paul or not. I knew I wanted this exact model. If this guitar was stolen, I'd probably not get one fore some time, since I don't have much money... but overall this is a great guitar that properly suits any kind of music, has great durability, and a great finish for such a low price. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 17, 2010

Purchased from: Gear For Music

Features: This guitar was made in China as far as I am aware, it has 22 jumbo frets and a rosewood fretboard. It has a mahogany neck bolted on to a mahogany body. There is the classical Les Paul tune-o-matic bridge and 2 passive humbuckers (700T & 650R)these are controled by a 3 way pickup selector with one volume and one tone knob that controls both pickups simulatniously. There are stock tuners (non locking). Due to where I got this instrument from I had a gig bag, strap, cable and SOME tools free with it. // 8

Sound: This guitar is perfect for my music style, punk to metal. I use a Peavey bandit 112 (redline) and they work well together. There is no real hum from the pickups and it gives a very full sound that is perfect for rhythm guitar. Having said this it is also a very versatile guitar I have played heavy metal finger tapping solos with it along with pinch harmonics, which it excells in. The only downside is the humbuckers can sometimes be too "rhythmy" and this limits the top end sound when soloing. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up of this guitar was virtually perfect the action was ever so slightly high but a quick job to sort, the pickups were a tad low for my taste so I raised them again another easy job. The finish of this guitar is great (Vintage Sunburst)apart from the fingermarks. The hardwear has stayed as good as new and the only problem is that one of the control knobs has become wobbly and loose but it has no effect on the playing. This is a guitar that can be easily worked on and fixed me and my band often refer to it as the AK47 cause it is so reliable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand gigging I can say this for a fact because I have done several gigs with it myself. The hardwear will last but may need tweaking over time however as I have said its an easy job. The stock strap buttons were solid however my antics on stage tend to mean that I need strap locks which I have fitted. The finish is relativly thick I know this for a fact as I have chipped the headstock by turning into a wall (dumb I know) this chip is down to the wood and I can see a thick finish in between. I would and have gigged this guitar without a backup and I hhave depended on it for just over a year now. I have recently bought another guitar simply cause I wanted a more diverse rig so this Telecaster will add to my stage set. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said previously this is a perfect guitar for any budding rockers out there maybe as a stepping stone though not a lifelong companion I don't think. Personally I find this guitar perfect for a green day sort of sound but I get all sorts out of it. I have been playing 3 years now and I own 2 epi Les Paul Special 2's (That is how good they are! One Vintage sunburst and one white), a Peavey Generation EXP ACM telecaster, a Encore Stratocaster copy (first guitar) and my custom accoustic. If it was stolen I would personally kill the person who stole it and then get it back. I love how reliable and well suited this guitar is to me and I also love the look how plain it is, no pick guard and 3 controls. I hate nothing about this guitar the only irritance is that the lower frets can be harder to access but this is just down to the shape. I compared it to an epi Les Paul JR the same with one pick up, I picked this one cause of the extra pick up. I also compared it to a squire Telecaster that lost out cause of its lack of humbuckers. In this price range this is the best guitar you can buy for this style of music so lets hear it for epi's unsung hero! I just wish it had better tuners! // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: smercado5150, on october 03, 2012

Features: - 22 frets, dot inlay - Custom dark burgundy finish - Black Hardware - Rosewood fretboard - Humbucker pickups - 2 tone, 1 volume, 3-way selector - Tune-O-Matic Bridge // 7

Sound: Coming from someone that plays more hard rock/metal, this is a great choice for someone who is just starting out or on a tight budget. It is very versatile with different music styles, especially through my Fender Mustang I. Gets pretty great hard rock and even some decent heavy tones with gain and distortion. But being a beginning level guitar, I have to say that while it has good tone, the pickups also give off very annoying buzz and feedback, but other than that it's cool. I'll probably swap the stock pickups for some alnico ii pros, and I'd advise you to swap them out eventually as well. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got mine from guitar center in a rare color, which is cool. VERY heavy guitar. It can also be pretty uncomfortable to play after you compare to a Strat. But then again that's an opinion. The action is perfect for me; I can pull off lots of harmonics with it. It has some minor fret buzz at the high e string, but then again what guitar doesn't? // 8

Reliability & Durability: Again, this is a beginning guitar. I used at my graduation party with my band, and it did okay there. But this is not a serious guitar for live gigs. If you're serious about playing in a band, save up for a real Les Paul. But I gotta say after beating it around for months this thing doesn't have a single scratch on it. That's... That's pretty cool. // 7

Overall Impression: All in all this is a good beginning guitar but it does have lots of limitations. Perfect for me when I started and I'd recommend it to other first-time electric guitar owners as well. Really great for the money. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: zeppelin_05, on february 04, 2004

Purchased from: Samash.com

Features: This gorgeous guitar was made in 2002, dunno where though. It has 23 frets, with a dot inlay fretboard, and bolt neck, made out of mahogany wood. It has chrome hardware,and its body is made out of maplewood, with a laminated top satin finish. It has two open coil humbucker pickups, one volume and one tone control, with a three way Switch that goes from treble, to normal to rhythm. It has a Les Paul style cutaway body, after all its a special LP model. Mine came with a gig bag, a nice strap, a cable, electronic tuner, an instruction video, a mini 10 watt studio amp and some picks. The whole package was awesome, but the cable was kinda short and crappy, it only lived through about a month and a half. The amp wasnt that good either, but for a beginner player it filled in the spot for the time being. // 8

Sound: The sound is the classic Les Paul sound, except for the sustain. It has and Awesome mean crunch to it, so the guitar works perfectly for classic and hard rock, metal and some sorts of punk, which is basically what I play. Definetely not the guitar you're looking for if you want some smooth tones, but hard and heavy describes it pretty well. The 3 way selector creates three different sounds, and when used with the tone controls, it can definetely chuck out some cool sounds. The mini amp it came with makes it sound really metal-ish, but I bought a Roland Cube 30, and the guitar sounds Perfect under the different settings. It has a slight amount of humming, but hey what more did ya want? // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar didn't have any factory flaws at least until now... Everything was right were it was supposed to be. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played live once or twice with the guitar, and it has survived everything from head first falls to water spills right in the humbuckers, and it stills plays as if it were spankin new. The finish seems solid, and it hasn't been scratched yet, and the hardware is yet to be harmed. I feel like I can rely completely on the guitar, without a backup, after all I've done that already. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, period. Its mean crunch and smooth looks make it a great choice for any beginner who would like to play rock, metal and punk. If it got stolen or lost I would definetely but the guitar again, specially because of the great price. My only suggestion for anyone who is up to buying the guitar is to get a good amp for it...don't take the crappy turd it comes with. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Rageoffury16, on february 13, 2004

Purchased from: East Coast Music, Danbury CT

Features: This Epiphone LP II is made in 2003. It was made somewhere overseas, unfortunately not in America, but still it is a great guitar. It is a 6 string and has one volume and one tone control knob, I wish it had two tone knobs but it's still fine. The pickups are humbuckers (standard on Gibson and epiohones) and the it has a 3 way selector, one for the bridge, one for the neck and one for both. It has 22 frets it has a maple neck and a stadard headstock. It is obviously the classic Les Paul style but instead of the normal curve top it has a flat top, it's sorta cross between and SG and a LP. The finish on mine is a red glossy, but you can also get it in Black/Sunburst and a Yellow/Orange Sunburst. It unfortunately didn't come with a gig bag or any accessories. But it's definitely worth the 210 dollars. // 10

Sound: I normally play Punk rock, classic rock like Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, etc and it suites all styles. I use a Peavy 112 65 watt transtube amp and Boss Mega Distortion pedal. It sounds amazing on both clean and the endless list of distortions that u can make on the pedal. I have no dislikes it perfect for a intermediate guitarist. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Setup at the factory was ok. I still had fretbuzz but after a quick adjustment on the neck and bridge by my teacher it was fine. The pickups are fine as soon as you take it out of the box. The hardware is great and I have no complaints as of yet. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I definitely would play this at a gig, I'm bashed it into walls by accident and the finish has not chipped or anything, the hardware seems to last and the strap buttons are solid, but I suggest a strap lock if you plan really playing (ie headbanging while playing and doin the whole punk thing lol) I could definitely depend on it and would need a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: As I said I play all kinds of rock and it matches perfectly. I have been playing for 3 years and its the best electric I've owned. I also have a Squier Fender electric and a lotus electric Fender Strat copy. My acoustic is a guild and that is so sweet. I asked every question imaginable before buying it and I love it. I would buy it again if I lost it or something but I also think I would possibly upgrade either a Gibson Lp or a Gibson SG. I love the humbucker sound and the action. I compared it to mexican Fender strats and a Epiphone SG and it surpassed them both if you are to get either a Strat or a SG, go with Fender american and Gibson SG. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: PunkRawk1224, on february 16, 2004

Purchased from: music123.com

Features: I have a 2003 model assembled in the U.S, I believe. It has 22 frets with a rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. It has 2 knobs, one for volume and there's one for tone. There's a 3 way selector:one for the bridge, one for the neck, and one for each. The Vintage sunburst finish is unbelievable and yet to be scratched. The guitar works well for rhythm and lead guitar work. // 10

Sound: The Epiphone LP suits my musical style perfectly. I play lots of emocore and such and the crunchy LP sound works perfectly with it. But I also play classic rock and some punk which also works with this guitar. I only use a 20 watt amp which it also sounds good with, but I tried it with a 65 watt amp (can't remember which company it was from) and it sounded perfectly. The rich, powerful sound of the LP Special II will blow you away. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup in the factory was alright. The body was nice and unscratched, the tuning pegs werent loose or anything, but rhythm/treble selector was already a tad bit loose when I received it but at least it hasn't gotten any worse. But the controls were loose also when I received it and lets just say it hasn't gotten any better. But besides that everything seems to be working nicely. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I haven't yet played live, but I've seen quite few people perform live with it and it definitely did not let them down. I always recommend carrying a backup guitar no matter how good the guitar may be, but if I had to choose one guitar not to have a backup with, then I would definitely choose the Special II. My strap comes off often, but I wouldn't completely blame teh strapbuttons, I have a crappy strap. But they are smaller than I would expect so I would definitely get some strap locks, especially if you plan on jumping around and headbanging. // 8

Overall Impression: The Epiphone LP special 2 is definitely worth the money, it's the best one out there for the money (as someone already stated) of the other guitars I've tried (Fenders, Washburns, SG's), this is most definitely a fovorite of mine. I have been playing for about 3 years and I'm gonna have to say I'm a bit better than intermediate and the guitar is still suiting me. If I were to lose this guitar or it somehow got stolen, I would definitely but another one. I love the sound of this guitar and couldn't play without it. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: basketofplastic, on march 18, 2004

Purchased from: long and mcquade

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 has some interesting features, It has 2 humbucking open coiled pickups.chrome hard ware, it's scale is 24.75" the width at nut is 1.68 which I think is great plays very well. The neck is a blot on it has dot position inlays and it is available in almost every finish you could possibly think of, the woods used on the body are Alder/Mahogany,and for the neck Mohagany. The Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 has a 3 way selector togle Switch featuring treble,rhythem and the normal standard setting. I enjoy the features on this guitar, it's perfect for people like me who like a quick attack but still have a heavy sort of bond. // 8

Sound: This guitar I think you can adapt 2 most styles of music for what I like to play things like metallica riffs or system of a down riffs I think it's perfect. This guitar sounds great when using metal distortion pedles and flanger if you like a sort of heavy and funky sound.It has a beautiful sound its very smoth and never to much feedback no buzzing it's great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set-up great at the factory the action is I slow but not 2 low so it gives you a quicker attack with your fingers,the pickups are set about half a centimeter below the strings. If you're not enjoying the sound its making you should try and expirament with string sizes untill you get the right sound this guitar will have you just need to experiment a little bit. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has unbilieveable reliability, I've never had any trouble with the hard ware this hard ware is set it will last You very long. It's absouloutly dependable as long as you have your sound right it will keep that perfect tone You could use this at a gig without a backup and I guaranty that you won't have one single problem. The finish is solid I haven't seen anything ware off and ive played it for a wile its still the same solid colour that it was when I purchased it. // 10

Overall Impression: My own impression is for people who like to play metal, punk, blues, or just choosing your own different path as a guitarist this is your guitar. The thing I love most about this guitar is the action and the double Humbucking featre sounds great when playing metal or hardcore punk. I suggest You go and try it out if it's not your thing fine but if You like the sound, it's worth it, it's a very affordable price and I personally love the sound. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 23, 2004

Features: My LP was made in China, but I'm not sure when it was made. It has 22 frets with dot in lays. I got it in hertiage cherry. It has the customary LP single cut-away. There is only 1 tone and volume cotrol with 3 way selector. There are 2 humbuckers. // 8

Sound: I play mostly Indie, but I also play some nu-metal and punk. I think it sounds pretty good, but then I play it out a MG30FDX. But still it fits any music style I play. As there is only one tone control, I can't do much to the sound but saying that the tones do sound very different. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is pretty good, no complaints and seemed to be set up in the factory very well. I've had to make now changes so far. I've read about the LP Special 2 and the most common complaint I've heard is that the strap buttons are always falling of. Well They ain't that bad. Not as good as my friend's SG the brige, nut etc. Are all fine nothing to complain about. It's got an elaminate fish which does leave alot of fingerprints but it isn't something really bad. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would definatly play this live. It sounds as good as a Fender, if not better, and the best offer you'll ever get for a guitar. The hard ware seems as though it will last and I have no problems playing it. I can deffinatly depend on it. If I had to choose between my freinds Epiphone SG, my friends Strat or this, I would choose this. The only change I would make before going to a gig is the strap buttons. The finish would last, for at least 2-3 years before something really bad happens to it. And maybe, if I had to, I would play this without a back up. But then, this is my first electric and I don't have a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: This deffinatly fits pretty much all types of rock and blues. I've been playing for just about a year, and I usually play rhythm but ocasionly lead. This is good for both. If this was lost, or stolen I would probably buy a epi Les Paul Standard or something a bit better than the special 2, but if ihad to choose a guitar under 300, I'd buy this anyday. I wish it had a whammy bar and maybe some more features. But overall this is the best guitar under 300 you'll find. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Features: I have no idea what year this guitar was made. What I do know is that it was made in Gabor in China, and a sticker on the back of the headstock says it was inspected by J. J. Les Paul body and stringing system. Two knobs: one volume, one tone. I haven't checked the materiels. Two humbuckers and a three way selecter. My first ever electric guitar. Had it for about a half year. Have not changed five of the strings for a half year. Looks cool in black. Falls a bit out of tone bout twice a week. The distance between the frets is a bit small in the upper parts, and I can comfertable play 18 of the 21 frets. // 8

Sound: been playing for bout a year now, and I play mostly blues/rock, and ocasionally raggea, or country. It suits my style great. Always wanted a Les Paul, and this one is great. Pretty full sound. Maybe its my amp, but I find I hard to get a sharp tone on the lower registers. I use a Peavy Rage. It sounds pretty good distorted. On clean I can adjust between sharp rock tone, and rich bluesy tone just by twisting the tone knob. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this thing is great, even tho I get a bit of buzz on the two lowest strings (E and A) the bridges are perfect. I haven't adjusted anything about this guitar since I bought it, and it still sounds great. Black finish looks cool, but unfourtunatly it makes smudges and schratches very visible. No major dents. No dents at all actually. I've never actually dropped it, but I have banged the head a few times, and its still perfect. Finish on sides of fretboard is worn off a bit after bending. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never played a gig, but I think you could do it whith this guitar. Not whithout a backup though. Apart from a ocasional slip from the tuners, the hardware I perfect. The finish is prone to minor schratches, but otherwise great. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, and I will probably have use of it for many more years. I have been playing for a year, and play this through a Peavy Rage. It sounds great, but a bit noisy. My favorite feature is a Les Paul. To me there is nothing missing. If it where lost or stolen, I might buy a more expensive Epiphone Les Paul or SG copy, or even a Gibson. But if I had little money I definitly would buy this guitar agein. It's an Epiphone. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Flametop001, on november 10, 2005

Purchased from: Music And Arts (Virginia)

Features: This guitar was made in Japan I think. It has 22 frets. The body is made of alder I believe and mine has a sunburst finish. It has a les paul style body but is much thinner than a real one. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and comes with passive pickups, with a three way Switch. It has cheap tuners and 1 volume and 1 tone control. // 6

Sound: The stock pickups aren't very good for distortion, but for the price they were ok. I bought it because it was cheap and use it as my practice guitar so it didn't really matter to me. I switched the pickups out with some Duncan's and it sounds alot better. I use this guitar with a Randall RG200 combo and you wouldn't even be able to tell that it was a cheap guitar if you just listened to it and didn't see it. It's got decent harmonics and tone for the price, and I am actually glad I got it because I don't have to scratch up my other guitars or anything when I practice. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I bought this guitar from a music store there were some minor adjustments that had to be made as far as intonation, tuning, and out of personal preference, action. I can put the action down fairly low (low enough) without the strings buzzing like crazy. Again, for the price, it wasn't too bad. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I'm not sure if I would ever play a gig with this guitar, but I suppose if you wanted to try it you could get by. The hardware on the guitar is all fine except for the tuners. They have a tendency to go out of tune after a few minutes of use, but getting new ones fixed this problem. The finish on this guitar is OK, but not the greatest. After awhile I had alot of little swirls and small scratches in it, but once again the price made this not matter so much. // 6

Overall Impression: I usually play metal and this guitar is good enough for practicing. I've been playing for a few years now and have a Jackson DKMG and a Washburn. This guitar doesn't compare to them really, and if it were stolen or lost I probably would not buy a new one. I would just buy a different guitar. I don't really have any major likes about it other than the fact that it was cheap and it's my main practice guitar, and I don't really hate anything about it. One thing I wish it came with when I first got it were better tuners and that's about it. If you aer looking for a cheap guitar to use for practice or for your first guitar then this fits the bill. // 7

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Spike_S, on january 03, 2006

Features: This guitar comes with 22 frets 24.75 neck scale, mahogany neck, crome hardware and a standard finish not to mention the body style reminds me of a Les Paul, it is also packed with a Tune-O-Matic stopbar, bolt on neck, 2 control knobs (volume and tone), 3-way selector and 2 factory humbuckers, and non-locking tuners. All this combined makes this a great and simple guitar for some one to use, begginer or some one who likes the Les Paul body style but cant exactly afford an expensive Les Paul. // 8

Sound: My music style varies from old rock to heavy metal and so far this guitar has proved to me that it can play both types of music and much more. I played this guitar on a small beringer amplifier and standard distortion, this guitar is not very noisy at all while the the standard sounds the guitar can create vary on your effects and amplifier settings you use. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is a used guitar but the only thing non factory on it is the strap knob, the action is set just right for most music styles the only flaw that I have noticed with using this guitar is that the tone control came loose and I had to tighten it and it didn't give me anymore problems other than that it is a great guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems as if would last a person a life time if they took good care of it, the hardware is just fine and would seem to last a life time, although I would not recomend using this guitar for a gig or live stage performance. Although it is a good guitar for band practice or learning new songs on. // 7

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for any style of music you play I have been playing for 4 years now and this guitar is one to the most unique I have played I haven't compared it to any other guitars really but my overall impression I would have to say you should use it mainly to learn new songs on and band practice. Personally it would be a great guitar for beginners. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: nialljames, on february 12, 2007

Features: Upon first site, this guitar was the shit. I got the one with the flames on it. It has 21 frets and the les paul style cut away for soloing, The fret board really pisses me off, The back off it is painted so if your playing a gig and you start sweating. That bitch is gonna stick. I'm not entirley sure what wood it's made out of but it dents very easily. I don't belive it has a bolt through the neck, to stop warping, I recently put 'Zakk Wylde Boomer Customs' on it and had to take them back off. It went out of tune incredibly easily. // 4

Sound: All I have to say, is that this guitar is best seen and not heard, the pickups are noisy when turned up load, you can get feedback from about 10 meters away from the amp. Best off in a music video, with the guitar parts dubbed over by a real Les Paul. I was plugged into a Marshall 50 watt amp, which gave me hell of a lot of feedback. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Not sure how well it was set up. I think the only repair I've had on it was when a washer fell out of the jack plug. I screwed it back on though. I can't realy falt anything else, all the other faults are in the other sections. The pick ups themselves are good for what I needthem for, jamming. They have never risen and I have never needed to ajust them. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Not the most reliable thing to keep in tune, if your playing a gig then use a really light guage string to put less pressure on the tunning pegs. Your best off with a hardcase as the softcases can wreck the tuning. The tuning pegs could have been beter set up. I would say that this hardware would probably last while. Put best not gigged, you will need to look afer it and it should then last forever. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall Impression- not good, thick seriously before buying, take a good hour in the shop playing it to make sure it fits your needs, It's the kind of guitar that you open your case and everyone goes, "oh-ah" and then cringe as you begin to play it, it's not the best guitar on the market, but it is nice to sit there in college and just strum along as people walk past, seeing then nice guitar but being too noisy to hear it. // 5

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: randyrhoads723, on may 26, 2007

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 is a very good beginner guitar. If you're on a tight budget then, this is a perfect guitar for you. The finish is black, has a les paul body style (obviously) it has a tunomatic bidge and a neck and bridge pickup. It has rythm and lead pickup selecter and both pickups. It came with a gig bag. It was made in Indonesia. The body is alder/maple, and the neck is mahogony and rosewood and a rosewood finger board, and 2 humbuckers. 22 normal sized frets. // 8

Sound: It does not have a wide variety of sounds but like I said, it's for beginners or someone on a tight budget. Well, it has a lot of fret buzz unless you change the strings right away, I use it on chorus, higain 3 on a Vox amp, good for classic rock, hard rock, not that great for heavy metal, unless you get different pickups and higher gauge strings. It is good for tapping if you don't mind a little extra background noise, and it still has a little distorted sound on clean settings. Very playable fret board, pretty fast, 22 frets. Nice humbuckers. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up quite well at the factory, the pickups were adjusted fairly well, the action was fine, maybe a little high. The bridge was routed fine, the tuning pegs were a little loose (only the G string one) and the tone knob is loose. The nut is cut fine, the pickup selector is not noisy at all, the strings were already a little bit worn out, nice shiny black finish, but scratches easily, I recommend buying a polish cloth or something. The input jack sometimes falls out, but is not a large problem. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I beleive this would be a good guitar for small gigs, but I would not go without a reliable backup. The strap buttons are extremely solid, the hardware is not the greatest but it lasts surprisngly long for the price of the guitar. The finish is good enough to last for a while, but, may need to be replaced with lots of playing. Does not have a pickguard, that's one downside, also the pickup selector I not up by the neck as on most Les Pauls but, it's down by the knobs, also there are only 2 knobs. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and hard rock, every once in a while I will attempt a heavy metal song but this guitar just isn't cut out for that. I've been playing for 3 years and I have a Vox amp and a monster cord, roadrunner gig bag. The reason I picked this guitar is because I am on a very tight budget. I wish I would have thought more carefully about getting this or an Ibanez. Now I would probably have bought the Ibanez. If this were lost or stolen I would probably buy a new guitar, probably an Ibanez. I love this guitars playability, but I hate the hardware and the tuning pegs. I compared this to a B.C. Rich and got this because it costed a lot less. I wish this guitar had a tremelo, that's probably the one thing I want most on it. // 7

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: athlete1, on august 20, 2007

Features: This guitar is a solid body electric guitar with 22 frets. It has a rosewood finger board and has several choices of finishes, such as ebony, white, sunburst; ect. It is in 24-3/4 scale and the body is Lam Alder or Maple, while the neck is Mahogany. It has two open coil humbucking pickups that you can switch between with a Standard 3-way switch, and one tone and one volume control. All in all it is very well set up, and I like it more than a real Les Paul because it is much lighter. It's Switch is near the controls so that is also easily reached. I would rather it have more controls though.You can also buy it in a set with an amp and gig bag and such. Standard Les Paul bridge and tail piece. // 8

Sound: Sounds very nice clean, very full and rich. Goes very well with valvotronix amps which I use. Sounds great with flanger, reverb, comp, delay, tremolo, phaser, and wah. Sounds OK overdriven or distorted. Not too great for metal, but by adjusting controls and effects it will work. Decent variety of sounds, but it will take a little while to figure out how to get them. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well set up from the factory, though some things like the jack and humbuckers needed to be tightened a little so they weren't loose. Thick finish that holds up great, and you won't notice if it gets any dings or smudges unless looked at closely. Keep it clean and it will stay near mint. All in all it was nicely set up, and needed little work. The strap buttons were not properly set and fell out though. Check them and glue them in. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Pretty reliable. It always sounds consistent, and stays in tune OK. The tuners slip once in a while though, and the strap buttons don't come properly installed. The finish will definitely last. Very thick and nice to look at.I would have a backup on hand with this one, though. // 6

Overall Impression: Good match for rhythm and Satch and Vai stuff OK for heavy shred.Great guitar for the cost. I would buy another in the future if something happened. Great guitar to have for jams and mellow music. The best thing on it is the finish. Feels great. Only things I don't like are the strap buttons and how it is a little loose from the factory. I would also rather it have soap bar pickups than open coils, but the stock pickups are fine. This guitar is well rounded, and is basically a real Les Paul, only a little lighter. This guitar lives up to it's name. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: classicrocker01, on october 22, 2007

Purchased from: musicians freind

Features: My Les Paul was made in China in 2007. I bought it wanting a cheap instument for my first electic after playing bass since summer 06. It has 2 Epi open coil 'buckers, and only 1 volume and 1 tone knob and a 3-way pickup selector that isn't in the normal LP position. It has a fixed Tune-o-Matic bridge. No pickguard. No gig bag or anything, just a cable. // 7

Sound: I play lots of classic rock and older metal, such as Metallica. It fits these styles plus most other styles, it's very versitile. I run it through a Marshall MG15DFX (which I can't understand why it has such a bad reputation, it sounds great) with a Morley Bad Horsie 2 wah. I've also run it through a very expinsive Marshall tube, Orange Crush Series, and a Fender studio. It had a decent sound, but it could be better. Sound can be full, thin, thick, or just about anything else. A little noisy, but very good for the price. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Finish is beautiful, better in person than any picture. Pickup selector Switch is around knobs which drasticly cheapens the look. Action is just right, was set up perfectly from the box. Body is basswood, but doesn't cheapen sound. No flaws. I was very pleased, just a simple tuning and I was ready to rock. Tuners, however, could be better they come out of tune often, but not overwhelmingly bad. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You could've put this guitar on the Titanic when she sank, brought it back up, thrown it in the Grand Canyon, and gigged with it that night. This is one area it gets a 10. It's fallen off stands onto hardwood floors and the finish didn't even scratch (but the floor did) I would use this without a backup for sure. // 10

Overall Impression: This is perfect for my rock style. It is great for a begginer because it is cheap and good quality. I just wish it looked more like the Gibson. If it were stolen I would probley upgrade to an epi LP Standard, or at least a Les Paul 100, which is just a little more $$$. If I could do it over again, I would save a little longer and get the 100. But if you don't have a constant source of income, the special 2 is perfect. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Mistaa Man, on november 19, 2007

Purchased from: Music Stop

Features: Made in 2006, my Indonesian-made Epiphone Les Paul Special II has 22 frets on a rosewood neck, bolted to a mahogany body. Stop-bar tail-piece and chrome hardware with Epiphone non-locking tuners. Set up the same as my Ibanez with 700T and 650R pickups, this guitar packs it in! One volume control with 3 way selector, and tone control, however, I wish there was 2 volume controls and tone controls. No whammy bar (I don't use them anyways). // 8

Sound: It suits my music style fairly well, except for the drop-c stuff and real heavy metal stuff like Disturbed and Slipknot, that is what my Ibanez is for. But other than that, it goes very well with my other music which is rock and metal stuff. Using it with Line 6 Spider III on "Insane" mode and cranked up to eleven, this thing kicks butt! The only noise I seem to get, but this is with every other guitar I used on this amp, is on the "Crunch" setting with full Drive. It has that bzzzz noise. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was great! It was very very low and really easy to play and move around from fret to fret. The pickups were adjust okay. Not great but okay, but it sounded good in-store so when I got home I adjusted the pickups and now I have the sound I am looking for. Basically the only "flaw" is that there is a scratch that is hardly even noticeable, on a higher up fret area on the neck. But it doesn't affect playability one bit. So technically it is not a flaw. Excellent condition for the price of it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely could withstand a gig. It seems to be very durable, I just got it yesterday and I already dropped it and smacked it off a wall, accidentally of course. The hardware seems to be able to last, the guitar holds tune fine and the strap buttons seem to be in there pretty good from my understanding. I would use it on a gig without a backup only if I didn't need to play anything played in drop C, like the real heavy stuff like nu-metal, because this guitar doesn't seem to play that genre. But I would definitely gig it with no backups. The finish seems very good and strong, I think it should last a while. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of heavy rock, heavy metal, and now I am starting to play nu-metal. This is a fairly good match, except for the nu-metal, as previously mentioned. That is what I use my Ibanez for. But this really matches the rock/metal stuff I play. I have 1.9 years experience and I play an Ibanez Gio GSZ120 which is very very nice. I play on a Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt which is very loud. I own a Kustom bass amp which remains unused (sold my bass) and I own a Fender Gemini II 1987 Acoustic. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2008

Purchased from: Ad Lib Music

Features: This Guitar is My first one and it's features include: 2 Double Coil Epiphone Humbuckers - Tune O Matic Bridge - 22 Jumbo Frets - 3 way Pickup Selector - Volume Adjuster - Tone Adjuster - Chrome Tuning Pegs and Hardware - Dot Inlays In Frets - "Vintage Sunburst" Body Color. // 8

Sound: I play a Variety of Music from metal to blues but my main style is classic rock, like Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath and stuff similar to that. This guitar is very good for blues and rock and works Ok for metal also. I have a Roland Micro Cube and the two work well together. The Humbuckers cancel out nearly all noise except for when you crank up the volume. it's a great sounding classic Guitar // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This was where I have Problems with this Guitar. The Nut is to deep on the two lowest strings (E and A). This causes an annoying buzz with even a light strum. I also noticed 2 small white lines (possibly cracks) in the wood underneath the lacquer. One of the tuning pegs is also kinda loose, which knocks it outta tune quite often. The plastic volume knob also came off in my hand while I was using it. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The Finish is pretty good. The strap buttons are on the small side though. I wouldn't gig without a backup because of the badly fitted hardware. it's a good practice guitar but not for gigging. It would work Ok if there was no other option though. It should last a Good Few Years if it's properly maintained and taken care of. // 6

Overall Impression: My main reason for choosing this Guitar over the Squier Strat (which was the same price range) was the much better pickups on this guitar. The Pickups are the best feature on it, they rock! Overall, it was a cheap buy and a decent guitar. The only problem I have is the hardware. I probably was just unlucky to get this particular one. Nice Sound, Good Overall Guitar. If it was stolen I'd probably Get A Proper Les Paul because I'm now a more experienced player. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Raijouta, on june 12, 2008

Features: This guitar was made in 1996 when I checked the serial, in Japan, but I've owned it since 2006-ish. It comes with 22 rosewood frets. I have no idea what it's made out of but it's too heavy to be plywood and too warm-sounding to be alder or maple, but I doubt it's mahogany. It comes with a Tune-o-Matic bridge, one tone and one volume knob, and two humbucking pickups. // 7

Sound: At first the guitar had an okay sound. Eventually the bridge pickup "died", and around the time I got my Strat both pickups "died" (I'd assume the solder for the cables got loose) However, once I'd fixed it, it sounded much better. The only thing is the bridge pickup produces more feedback than it used to. In actuality, I'd venture this guitar would sound a lot better on a better amp than my Marshall MG. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was fairly medium at first, but eventually I lowered it to suit my tastes. The pickups were the same height, and I adjusted those as well. The pickup selector is fairly noisy, eliciting a cavernous, echoey sound when switched without muting the strings, but it's only noticable to a guitarist thanks to the Marshall MG's crushing distortion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a beating. Even with vigorous, concentrated effort with the pick, the finish won't strip or rub off. However it does peel if the guitar were to be dropped. There are several spots where the paint has been peeled back because of a fall. A piece of the nut broke off when I was bending behind it and as such it's pretty hard to play chords involving the low E string (I had to slice a new channel for the string to run through, much closer to the A than I or any other guitarist is used to) I've replaced the strap buttons with straplocks simply because I play my guitar at certain angles and the strap is pretty prone to just ripping off. I always gig on this guitar simply because it gets the high-gain sound that the Strat just can't get with it's single-coils. Another problem is that the tone knob is cracked inside because a friend of mine dropped the guitar face-front, but it's still fully functional. // 7

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about two years, and as a beginner guitar, this is pretty good for what I paid. I play mostly hard rock and sometimes shred, and the pickups can handle it pretty well. Since I should be acquiring a Peavey Valveking tomorrow I hope the tone will be even better through it. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I'd probably end up getting an Epiphone Prophecy or customizing my Strat with a humbucker. But really this guitar has been through some good times with me and I wouldn't part ways with it, except maybe change the pickups later on. By themselves they're pretty good, but they could be better if they were Duncans or DiMarzios. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Roy McCartney, on july 10, 2008

Features: If you are looking for a guitar with a pretty sound and a "friendly" price, the Epiphone Les Paul Special II is the best option. It was made in Indonesia, under Gibson license, and it's a good choice for a classic Les Paul sound with an amazing price! It has a mahogany neck, with a 22-frets rosewood fretboard, a Standard Epiphone head, single cutaway design, a volume control and a tone control, a rhythm-treble 3-way selector switch, two open coil humbuckers, chrome hardware, without a tremolo bar system, available in black, ebony, white, heritage cherry sunburst, vintage sunburst and wine red colors. It included a cable. // 10

Sound: I'm a huge blues and classic rock nut, and this Epi suits perfect to these styles. I usually set the rythm humbucker with he tone control on "0" to get close to an Eric Clapton's "woman tone", perfect for any distortion blues songs. It also offers a very nice smooth acoustic sound to play styles such as folk, bossa nova, blues, rock, etc. Although I've got a basic amp, the sound is pretty good, and I've played in on huge amps and auditorium speakers, so the sound is quiet perfect. In general, this guitar offers sounds for any kind of rock, soft acoustic and other nice styles. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory made a great set-up for this guitar, nice action, well adjusted humbuckers, well bookmatched tops and routed bridge, it fits well, with no flaws in my case. Good finish. Although it has not the quality standards of a Gibson Les Paul, it's a good made one. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The Les Paul Special II is great for Live playing, and it look great too! The hardware and all the settings are well done, so I'm sure they last a long time. Is a very reliable gear, you can depend on it (but it's good to have always a backup). // 9

Overall Impression: Well, for the blues and classic rock (and any kind of rock) this guitar suits great! I've been playing it for half a year, and I can feel a good difference: I used to play a basic Washburn. I love the sound it gives to my styles, and the color (cherry heritage sunburst). I hate how underrated this guitar is, and I wish it had a tremolo bar system. The Epiphone Les Paul Special is a good choice for an easy play, nice price and great sound, so it's kind of a perfect guitar for beginers to intermediate players. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 13, 2008

Price paid: A$ 350

Purchased from: Music Powerhouse

Features: This guitar didn't include accessories, although this may have a lot to do with where I purchased it from. The guitar is quite small, and very light. Perfect for the long and tiring gigs. It has volume, tone and a 3-way selector. // 8

Sound: I mostly play death and black metal. This guitar produces the sound I want perfectly. Also the fact I can write clean songs and they sound beautiful is a bonus within itself. The guitar has minimum feed back (depends on the amps too though). The guitar can pull off harmonics quite well. I don't use effects pedals, I feel I don't need them. This guitar does the job without the use of them! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I purchased this guitar and brought it home, I plugged it in and was very impressed with the action! The low action makes the playability of this guitar simply amazing, and for the low price I expected it to have high action and issues with the bridging and pickups. But everything was fine. I popped the bottom E string within the first 2 seconds of using it, but that was the fault of a dodgy string. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar Live and it was fine. I didn't have a backup (because I didn't have a second guitar) and quite frankly with this guitar I don't think you'd need one. The strap buttons are good and the chances of your strap falling off are very slim, unless you are using a cruddy, cheap thing. The finish seems fine, numerous times I've hit it on walls and dropped things on the finish and everytime it remains as good as it was when I bought it. If anyone is worried that this guitar isn't good enough for gigs, then no need to worry. It's fine for any style, anywhere. // 9

Overall Impression: As stated previously, I play metal. Death metal. Black metal. And it pulls of that crunchy, distorted sound perfectly. I've been playing for a few years now, I only own a budget amp but the Epiphone still pulls off a nice sound through it. I've used Marshall amps a lot with brands such as Ibanez, Fender, ESP etc. And the Epiphone sounds just as good, if not better then them all! If it was stolen. After a few hours of tears and tissues I would scrape some money together and purchase it's twin, although I'm saving up for a B.C. Rich. My Epiphone Les Paul will be by my side always. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: captainCAPSLOCK, on december 22, 2008

Price paid: € 149

Purchased from: Music Store Cologne

Features: 2007 in Indonesia, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, Dot inlays, Solid ebony body, Tune-O-Matic bridge, 1 volume and 1 tone control, 3 way selector, 2 open coil pickups. // 8

Sound: First I wanted to buy me a super cheap Strat copy, but then I watched a movie where someone plays a les paul and instantly fell in love with the LP shape. I play a lot of things, but mostly rock and blues. The two humbuckers of this guitar are pretty excellent for the type of music I play and because I didn't have enough money for a more expensive one, I decided to buy this one. As this is my first electric guitar, I can't say much about the sound compared to other instruments but all I can say is, it meets my requirements. It has a pretty sweet clean sound and a high output, which makes it easy to plug it into the PC and have a little, unamplified jam at night. Due to the humbuckers, there is not really a noticeable background noise. When I plug it into the amp (Line6 Spider III 15), it gets loud and awesome, even though I wish the amp had some more bass. What I like about this guitar, I can play blues, rock, metal and clean stuff without any problems. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got it, it was alright, until I read how to check the action and setup. Then I decided I wanted to get more out of it. I adjusted the neck angle, the pickups and the action, put new strings on it. Now it's as good as it can get for this low price. Unfortunately the fretboard has some flaws but I guess I got what I paid for. After six months or so, the pickup selector Switch got a little noisy but only if I change the pickups which doesn't happen that often. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this instrument and right now, I'm collecting money to buy me a second guitar, which will be Epiphone again. // 8

Reliability & Durability: After six months, everything is still in place and except for the dust (which is damn annoying on a solid black body), it still looks like when I first opened the box to see it. I bet some more expensive guitars would already have taken a beat or serious scratches or something. Rock solid. // 9

Overall Impression: The humbuckers definitely match the type of music I am playing and the les paul shape is pure love for my eyes. After about six months of playing, it still is in very good shape, but I expect it to stay with me forever (its my first electric guitar so it has to keep a spot inside my heart! ) so lets talk again in 20 years from now. If it would be stolen or something, I would probably wait until I have more money and buy an Epiphone G400 but that's only due to me finding SGs more sexy at the moment. I wish it was white, but it's not that this can not be changed, right? // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: BangYerHead, on january 12, 2009

Purchased from: E-Bay

Features: This guitar was set up in America, 22 fat frets, Rosewood fingerboard, solid top. Off-white finish, Classic Les Paul body, Tune-o-Matic bridge, Active Electronics, One tone knob, one Volume knob, 3 way selector, 2 humbuckers. Beautiful guitar, fans of Les Pauls will feel right at home holding the guitar, off-white guitar is GORGEOUS, defenitely a classy looking instrument. Wine-Red is good looking too, and the two tone burst finish is a real looker as well. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Hard Rock to Light Metal, and this guitar ROCKS for that. I play with a fairly expensive Digitex digital foot-pedal, and with a slight reverd, it'll make any note sounds authentic and like an actual Les Paul. It had a rich, long sustaining sound to it, that's come to be expected of Gibson, or any sub-company of Gibson. The variety of sounds this guitar can put out is almost limit-less, Switch to the top humbucker for a blues feel and throw it down the bottom for some crunchy Hard Rock and Metal tunes. Pinches are a bit hard to do on this guitar, but when you do hit that pinch, you and everyone else will hear it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was very well set up, no flaws what-so-ever. The top humbucker, I'll admit, was a tad loose, but once tightened, I didn't have anymore problems with it. Absolutely a flawless guitar. The wood-quality was fantastic, tuning pegs were solid as well as the knobs and selector. The only problem I had with the initial guitar was the string tension, very high. I would reccomend that once you buy this fantastic instrument, you replace the strings. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have not tried this baby Live, but I've dropped this thing a couple of times, and the finish isn't going anywhere, scratches are nearly un-noticeable on the off-white color. The hardware seems like it will last a while, nothin' is coming loose, and I play with the volume knob and selector while I sustain some notes, and they always are responsive and solid. The strap buttons are great, even when I push down on the guitar does the strap never come off the buttons. Personally, when I start gigging, I would have a back-up just in case. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play mostly Hard Rock to Light Metal, so this guitar is perfect for the sound that I'm looking for. I've been playing now for about 3 months, and honestly, this guitar inspired me to play even more, it keeps you coming back for more. I own a Squire Stratocaster, a Vox pocket amp, an Ibanez Toneblaster, and an HOB-E Guitar. If this guitar was stolen, I'd be very upset, and I'd probably buy it again, because of the overall quality of the guitar and the price that was tagged with it. I love this guitar for it's long sustaining notes, diverse sound, and beautiful shape. I compared this guitar to the LTD EC-50 and found that this guitar has as good a sound, if not better, than the EC-50. I highly reccommend this guitar to novices and veterans alike, simply a fantastic instrument for it's price. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Mrfussytabs, on april 06, 2009

Purchased from: The Guitar center

Features: This is a decent guitar if you're ona tight budget like me. It has 22 Frets with mother of pearl Dot inlays.it's a solid top as far as I'm aware. The body is Basswood and the neck is mohogany (bolt on). The finish I purchaced was tobacco sunburst.The body stylee is the typical les paul style; single cutaway, Dreadnaught-ISH, wide body but not the same electronic layout as Les Paul Standard models. It hass a Tune-O-Matic bridge that makes string changing less time consuming then a string-thru style bridge. The pickupe are Standard pickups (700T/650R), Passive humbucking pickups (don't know if there is a difference between that and a humbuckER). You don't get much in the way of controls you get one volume and one tone knob as well as a pickup selecter Switch inbetween the two knobs.The tuners are Standard nonlocking Epiphone tuners and do give trouble for a while but take it from an owner patience pays, they just need to be broken in. I don't know about anyone elses but mine came with a 8 foot amp jack(cable). // 7

Sound: I play mostly rock, and alternative rock and this guitar is well suited for both I'm sure a little bit of jazz could be pulled off with the right amp. I am currently using a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt and a Boss ds-1 pedal. The guitar is fine not much static but sometimes you get some feed back if you leave it lying around.but plenty of fret buzz at the 8/9 fret depending on where your saddle is. You can get plenty of sounds with this guitar. You can play anything from Taylor swift on clean to dragon force on insane. Variety? Enough said. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action from the factory leaves you with a little bit of fret buzz. The the guitar contained only one miniscule flaw, a small flake in the finish about 2 1/2 milimeteres in diameter. The bridge seemed to be in plase well and the top was beautiful in terms of the wood and the finish they appled. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Live playing is not a problem I've done it before and actually ended up with money in my case while playing waitin for afriend. This guitar is great but first of buy new strings (Ernie Ball ftw) and probably new pickups to get better tone.The strap buttons should be replaced with strap locks this guitar is very heavy and 4 minutes after I first played it the guitar fell into my hands. I'd definately depend on this guitar given the pros and cons. The finish can withstand anything short of a projectile the size of a nokia cell phone(I now have a good 1mm sizd chip in the fnnish) // 9

Overall Impression: Thias guitar over al if great not awesome but great. You can't find a more reliable guitar in the price range I've been playing for about 3 years soon. I own a couple othe guitars but this one is definately my favorite. Make sure you get them to set it up for you in the shop before taking it home. If it were stolen or lost I'd be devastated. One thind I love is the neck. The frets are all aligned near perfectly so I don't have to worry about getting blisters between my thumb and fore finger(plus I'm ocd). Switch gets a bit trippy you might say after leaving it on rhythm for more than a week and then switching to treble. I wish it had the full Les Paul Standard electronics configuration but hey it's cheap reliable and it works so no complaints. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 11, 2009

Features: I've had this Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 for around half a year now. Mine's black (ebony that's what they call it). Made in indonesia. The body is a basswood body, with a mahogany (bolt) and a rosewood Dot inlays. It is extremely glossy so it is easy to get fingerprints on it. Features a tune-o-matic bridge, stopbar tailpiece. Two alnico V open coil humbuckers (700T, 650R). Two knobs, one volume one tone, but its really sufficient for a starter, worth the money. Chrome hardware, from bridge to tuners. Got a package with a gigbag, strap cable and stuff // 8

Sound: It is really good for beginners, Who want to venture into the realm of good old rock. Plays classic rock well, sustain is there, great solos out of it. It is rather versatile, can do punk and metal, but I wouldn't recommend it for country and blues (check out the fenders). I play for my own interest, I use a extremely small 10watt Epiphone studio amp, doesn't disturb others. The adjustment of the tone knob on the sound of the guitar is coarse, but it really packs a punch with great distortion and gain. It can really get the twang, especially with the bridge pickup. All in all it is worth the money, great for starters, even intermmediate. After all, you don't have spend tonnes of money to get a good guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up out of the box was so-so. Not the well done, strings a little high off the fretboard and the strings itself were not that good. But after some adjustments, I could just plug it in and jam away. However, I have problems with the pickup selector Switch. Sometimes when switching to hit a solo or something, it just cuts off, no sounds (especially when changing to bridge pickup). So that aspect is not thet great. It does buzz quit abit, noisy and all. But still looks and sounds great. // 6

Reliability & Durability: The toggling between pickups worries me, but I'm sure it can play Live, extremely durable. Strap on buttons haven't given me any problems so far, I'd probably have a backup if on a gig as precaution, but not saying that the special 2 won't do it's work. In a nutshell it lasts, it lasts. // 8

Overall Impression: It is good for me, I play hard rock, classic rock, and punk. I've been playing guitar for about 3 years now, but only picked up this baby last yr. If stolen, I might buy it again (in a different colour) or might try checking out a Les Paul 100 or SG Special. I was on a budget when I got this, but paid off well, compared it to low end Ibanez and Cort guitars, like the feel of this the best. Les paul never fail to give the chunky rock tone. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: deathbycontrol, on may 26, 2009

Purchased from: Local Pawn Shop

Features: I found this at a pawn shop and couldn't pass it up. I'd been wanting a LP for a good while. Being Epiphone, I wasn't expecting all the features of a real LP, but it still holds up suprisingly well. The neck is made of maple with 21 frets. There are two control knobs and one 3-way Switch, the knobs controling volume and tone (but they're not labeled). It has 2 hambucker pickups, one on the bridge and one on the neck. The tuners are a little too easy to turn, but that can be fixed with some minor adjusting, and they're non-locking. It also came with a case. Came with crappy strings, too, but they broke after 2 hours of playing. All in all very feature-filled for the low budget price. // 10

Sound: I usually play harder rock and metal, ranging from Breaking Benjamin to All That Remains, and I have to say, this guitar can play it all. When I want to play something really heavy, I use a ModTone Speedbox and a cheapo overdrive pedal and run it through a cheap little Yamaha 30v amp, and it sounds simply amazing. If you flip the Switch on the guitar to the "rhythm" side, it adds a little more crunch to chords, and the "lead" side makes higher pitched notes sound clearer. For the softer stuff, I just use the overdrive pedal and max it out. It still sounds good, but it's also a little flat. If I just use the Speedbox (with it turned down a little), it does the same thing, so I guess that's probably my crappy amp. Basically it sounds nice no matter what you play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with everything intact and almost properly adjusted. I just had to tighten the stap buttons and the pickups were a little loose. But before I noticed these problems I could still play it without it falling apart. Also there is nothing around the knob to help you know what your tuned to (I.e. You can tell if it's set to 3 or 5), so you'll have to take a sharpie or something and put a little mark on it. The only problem that I don't know how to fix is with the tuning pegs, they're too loose (as I said before) and I need to tighten them. I can probably discover this by googling it, but for now it's just loose. Very few problems, and even those are minimal. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing can take one hell of a beating. I've dropped it, smacked it into a wall, fell on top of it (and I weigh about 250lbs), and it still hasn't broke. Still works like the day I bought it. So I'm sure that it'd be great to use in a gig, although I havn't had a chance to try it yet. The finish also doesn't have any dings or scratches, which is suprising with how rough I am with it. You'll have to clean it often if you leave it sitting out, though, as it's a dust magnet. I'd probably call this the most reliable guitar I've ever played. It'd probably take 3 or 4 swings to smash at then end of a song. // 10

Overall Impression: For the price, this guitar is amazing. I have no complaints on the sound or look. Again, it does get out of tune easilly, but that's really the only problem. It can take a beating, and is probably good for Live shows. It's also a little heavy, but you should expect that with a LP. I would've been happy with another fret or 2, but I can just bend the string if I really want a 22nd fret. I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now, but I've played lots of different brands and styles of guitar, and this is probably the best budget guitar I've played. So if you're low on money and want a good guitar, do yourself a favor and buy this one. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: mvp_jordan23, on july 23, 2009

Price paid: € 215

Purchased from: Muzikas centrs

Features: First of all I would like to say that this guitar rocks! For the price you really cannot go wrong with this buy if that is your first guitar like mine. Mine was made in an unknown year in China, but that I think doesn't matter in this case. It has 22 frets, neck -bolt, mahogany, very playable (not too thick or thin) scale 24.75", body is made from basswood, the Vintage sunburst could look better but that is what you get at this value. The tune-o-matic bridge/ stopbar tailpiece gives you great ease to change strings. Alnico V Humbuckers, a volume knob, treble/rhythm /both Switch and a treble knob, all Standard. The tuners aren't the greatest because the tuner on my D string produces an unwanted noise so I had actually to wrap around the tuner some isolation. // 9

Sound: This axe can play almost anything you can imagine, really a versatile instrument for the price. I play different kinds of music:blues/jazz/rock/metal/rnb/prog...it can deliver just about anything you want with the right amp configuration and your fingers. right now I am using a Vox AD15VT xl series amp and it sounds very well with the guitar if you tweak a little bit the amp and maybe use some pedals like Boss blues driver for blueasy sound or metal zone for some more distortion or anything else, you just have to experiment. Sometimes the guitar gets a little noisy but it is okay, you just have to pay morwe attention to your noise dampening technique. The sustain also could be a little better but it is okay, you can get great bends with it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up okay, as it should be, no mistakes. The action is maybe too high but you can get better bends that way, so it is all about the compromise what you want it to sound like. The pickups were also flawless and so was the bridge. Actually there were no major mistakes but the frets could be more precisely made. All I can say that for this price you cannot get anything much better right away from a shop. Only the one tuning peg was a little worse made than the others. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My Les Paul Special II is going to last if not a lifetime then a decade for sure. All solid and very playable even Live if you wish but then it is the compromiss which you certainly need to consider if you are ready to show up on stage with such a cheap guitar. The hardware is great overall and also very solid. I would definitely depend on it because I haven't had any situations when this guitar fails so I am certain this guitar is pretty reliable. // 9

Overall Impression: As I play different kinds of music then the Epiphone Les Paul Special II which is right now priced very cheaply, is a great choice for me because it can deliver anyone a wide range of versality and that is I think the greatest thing about this guitar. There really isn't much to ask someone, I would say, that go and buy this guitar because it is very affordable and a great instrument for beginners to start off. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 07, 2009

Purchased from: Hartnolls

Features: My Les Paul Special 2 only come last week and come equipped with an allen key for adjusting the neck, lead and a poster. It has humbucker pick-ups, Mahogany neck, Rosewood fingerboard, Dot inlays, one tone and volume controls, three way pick-up selector and chrome hardware. It has a gloss finish, Tune-O-Matic bridge style and is the best quality Les Paul your get for one hundred and thirty pounds. // 8

Sound: I mostly play alternative e.g Razorlight and some rock. It works and sound very well when used with my ten watt practice amp and Hohnor amp. There is virtually no buzzing and there is a massive range of sounds to choose from considering that it just has a three way pick- up selector and one volume and tone controls. The sounds vary from heavy rock to light distortion which is brilliant for playing 'Use somebody' by 'Kings Of Leon'. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar finish is generally good but mine did come with two indentations on the back which I'm not sure if they happened in the factory or the shop. The guitar came pre adjusted and stays in tune very well. The pick-ups wobble slightly and some of the the bare wood can be seen round them and the neck. All in all though the guitar is absolutely brilliant for just one hundred and thirty pounds. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've just had this guitar a week but so far it seems to be brilliant and I am difinitely going to use it for my next gig. The strap buttons are solid but the gloss effect does show up finger print marks very easily. I hope the guitar will be as reliable and durable as my Stagg Strat but the scratches and dents it's going to get will prove that. I was able to take it straight out the box and play it without no setting up. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall the guitar is brilliant for one hundred and thirty pounds. The finish, sound, quality and reliability is good and I would definitely recommend this guitar to anyone wanting a cheap and good quality guitar. It is a brilliant guitar for The Music I play and I like the simplicity of the controls. The only main thing I don't like about it is the finger print marks which show up very easily on the gloss effect. But overall it is a brilliant guitar and I am definitely going to buy another Epiphone guitar maybe a Dot. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Moserite 70, on november 20, 2009

Features: Bought this guitar 10/2009 on a whim....it's a "Rolling Rock Beer guitar" in that its top look like the label on one of their beers. It's made in Indonesia, has 22 frets, and a fast Les Paul Jr-style neck. The rest of the guitar is nicely finished in black. My drummer got it at a golf outing as a door prize & didn't want it. Because of the beer insignia I jumped on it. Solid-body, lightweight guitar with Tune-O-Matic bridge. I like the single volume & tone controls handling both pickups...easy useage during Live performances. GREAT high-end Alnico V pickups...a 650Y on the neck and a hotter 700T at the bridge. What a surpise....huge tonal variations and lots of balls. These are the same pups used on higher-end guitars. Tied to this lightweight resonant body they jump. The only accessory/change I made was to replace the bridge/saddle with a Graph-Tech unit. I play hard and hit the crap out of a guitar. I bought, and returned, a Gibson Les Paul Jr because I broke too many strings playing it. Thought I'd "fix" the problem since the guitar costs so little ahead of time. // 10

Sound: I learned guitar back in the late '60s. We play Beatles, Stones, Cream, The Who, Steppenwolf, Hendrix, etc., it's in-your-face rock with NO lounge music. We don't do wedding receptions if you know what I mean. I'm playing through a Fender Stage 112. It's a 2-channel amp so the drive/reverb/etc is provided. I've got a chorus and volume pedal on my board. We hire a sound guy when we play out so that stuff's taken care of by a pro. The guitar fits this music perfectly. It is not noisey. The tonal options that you can dial in are amazing. It can sound like a Fender Telecaster, a Strat, or any of the meaty Gibson tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly at the factory. The pups needed no adjustment. I had my guitar tech go through it, not trusting it to be as good as it appeared. Aside from replacing the bridge/saddle setup, he found nothing wrong with it. HE rates it a 10. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a workhorse. That's because it is so simple. It DEFINITELY will (and does) stand Live playing. The hardware will last, it's a tightly-built guitar...just amazing at its price. I've got a Strat, which is my back-up guitar to my main axe. That's '68 Moserite Mark V equipped with duncan hot-rail pups. That thing Burns grass and takes everything I do to it wanting more. At our last gig I started with this Epiphone not expecting it to last. After 4 hours of play, the Moserite was still back on its stand (and it was probably pissed off!). // 10

Overall Impression: Again, I bought this only because of the Rolling Rock insignia on it. I didn't expect what I got in the deal. This is no BS. The guitar rocks. Taylor Swift plays one...and she certainly can afford any guitar out there. My guitar tech went out and bought one after seeing and playing mine...for $169 it's just not right! He's worked on hundreds of guitars and called mine "the family bully." // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: beatnik25, on december 22, 2009

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: This Les Paul Special II was manufactured in 2007 in Indonesia. It has 22 frets (a little thin) on a Rosewood Fretboard. This model has the Ebony finish on a basswood body. The bridge and stop piece is the Tun-O-Matic and comes with 1 volume knob, and 1 tonal knob (with a three-way Switch) to control the 700T(bridge) and 650R(neck) passive pickups. The features as you would expect from a low-level Epiphone, but they aren't too bad. You can still feel a bit of quality while playing. // 5

Sound: Surprisingly the sound coming from the basswood isn't as bad as I would've thought. This guitar is my only guitar at the current moment but I have played everything from low end guitars to high-end Les Paul Customs. I currently just use the guitar for recording and playback via my Line 6 Guitar Port. The pickups do grab a bit extra unwanted noise, and even though you can use a noise gate/reducer in some situations... It ends up taking away a lot of the bite. The harmonics are still very good even with the mentioned limitations. I'd say this guitar puts out a very solid rock sound but is still only mediocre at best for heavy rock or metal. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunately I didn't purchase this guitar from the factory so I only know the condition in which it was given to me in, and it was set-up really well. It felt a bit stock so perhaps the original owner didn't tinker with it too much. The action is probably the main feature on this guitar that I love. You can glide up and down the fretboard with ease. Unfortunately the thin fretboard does hold you back from a lot of non-power chord driven songs. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As I said in the features section, this guitar still feels like a quality instrument. I make no bones about it, I would feel comfortable playing this guitar Live and it feels like it could last a very long time under the correct care. The strap buttons though, I would replace those before playing too much Live as they are a bit flimsy. // 6

Overall Impression: I tend to lean on the heavy rock/heavy metal side of the guitariverse, but it works well for me. It keeps things simple, just how I like them. I've been playing for over 6 years now and this is one of the better feeling guitars I have played. Unfortunately if it were lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one as I believe it would be time to try out a different model. // 7

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: jawbreakerunfun, on may 10, 2010

Price paid: £ 119.99

Purchased from: Absolute Music Solutions

Features: Pickups: 700T, 650R Hardware: Chrome Scale: 24.75 in. Nut Width: 1.68 in. Neck Joint: Bolt Neck Material: Mahogany Fingerboard: Rosewood/Dot Binding: None Body Material: Basswood Finish: Vintage Sunburst One volume control, one tone pot, 3-way selector. The only thing included was some literature and a cheap cable, but I wasn't too concerned by this due to the affordable price. I have only been playing around one and a half years, so the setup is simple and serviceable. All in all, good so far. // 8

Sound: My style is principally punk rock/post-hardcore/alternative rock, and the Special II gives more than enough range to suit my needs. The tone pot, volume knob and pickup selector enable a fine range of tones, from warm and smooth to bright and biting. The Special II has a richer, darker tone than my first guitar, a Tanglewood Stratocaster copy, which has three singlecoil pickups - it provides a good contrast. I use the Les Paul with a Marshall MG100 FDX, and the humbuckers pretty much eliminate ambient buzz, except for when the tone pot & volume knobs are at the highest setting and the selector is on the bridge pickup, but that isn't really a problem of much consequence. Highly impressed. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was good enough for me to play it right out of the box. I do occasionally hear a slight bit of fret buzz when I play at the lower end of the neck, but I think that is more to do with operator error than the guitar itself. The tone pot and volume controls react positively. The finish is sleek and shining, and feels durable. The tuning pegs feel taut. The only issue is that the pickup selector Switch feels a little loose in its middle setting, but this isn't a major quibble. A well-put together guitar. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would feel comfortable using this guitar live with no backup, as it feels sturdy and has a pleasing heft to it that engenders a feeling of solidity. The strap buttons are solid, although I have attached two Dunlop strap locks just to ensure that the strap will not come off during more spirited stage activities. The finish is durable and I am sure it will last. Very good. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is very well matched to my style, giving a fine range of tones while being simple enough to make adjusting the sound quick and easy. I have been playing about one and a half years, and the only other guitar I have is a Tanglewood Stratocaster copy, which has a more trebly single-coil sound. I vetted this guitar thoroughly before making the decision, which was based on a multitude of favourable reviews and the good reputation of Epiphone. I purchased this guitar with my own money, which is why I opted for a lower-end model, but I can't really find many faults with it. I think I would probably buy the same guitar were it lost or stolen. The thing that I especially like about the Les Paul Special II is the fact that it punches well above its weight, and you get a lot of guitar for a very affordable price. I did consider getting an SG Special, but preferred the Vintage Sunburst finish that was available for the Les Paul models. I reccomend this product to virtually anyone, but especially for beginners as it is a forgiving, great-sounding guitar that will last and is pretty much unbeatable if its price is compared to its performance. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Doogy-Style, on august 10, 2010

Price paid: € 140

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I don't think I really have to detail all the specifications of that guitar since it's the same made in China LP special 2 that everyone has been reviewing here. Mine had the Heritage cherry sunburst finish, which by the way looks a lot better on pictures that it does for real. Once you have it in your hands, you'll see it look fake and also how flat the body is. It still doesn't look that bad for the price though. I also got to mention that the tune-o-matic bridge was really shard, my strings would break pretty often at bridge's height because of that. Oh and by the way, the tuners really suck, just by looking at them it'll go out of tune. That really was pretty annoying. Of course nothing you can't live with, but they really feel like cheap tuners! // 6

Sound: I bought this guitar because I like classic Rock/hard rock, but I can also play pretty much anything else. I don't play metal though. This was my first guitar and I used it in a shitty Fender Frontman 15G which definitely didn't help! But I also gave it a try with my new tube amp (laney cub 10), and it still sounded pretty bad. This guitar can do clean sounds, but nothing that impressive, and it handles medium gain (think AC/DC). But with a bit of gain, once you try to do more than a power chord it really lacks definition and sounds mudy. Those are definitely cheap humbuckers! Don't expect getting a great tone out of this guitar. It can do both cleans and distrortion (I used it with Big muff pi too), but both not that well... // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of this guitar was pretty damn high, but on the other hand I'm not sure it go that much lower since I would allready get fret buzz sometimes. The stocks strings broke after a few weeks only and they really had bad tone compared to the 10-46 dunlops I used after. By the way the neck is really think and the acess of the last frests is allmost impossible in my opinion. And also the inotnation past the 12th fret is really wrong. This guitar would probably have been better after being professionnally set-up, but considering the price the guitar has costed me and the price of the set up in switzerland, it wasn't worth it. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live, and I only kept this guitar for 9 monthes before selling it. It seemed pretty solid, but I would sometimes get weird noises for no reason. This is definitely a practice guitar. At leat it doesn't seem like to break anywhere because it's just really thick overall. Beware, the strap buttons were too small so depending on the strap you'd use, it would easilly fall. // 7

Overall Impression: Seriously you get what you paid for, but in this case, a lot of what you payed is the LP look. This guitar doesn't sound that good, and doesn't look as good as on the pictures. For the price it probably have a nice versatility, not sure you can find something much better at 140 euros in europe. On the ohter hand, I would really recommend paying a couple of hundreds more if you can afford and get something that will last you a bit longer. Cause as soon as you can play a bit, you'll want to change this guitar. At least I really wish I had paid a bit more for something better! // 5

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: TrueSlawer, on august 30, 2010

Purchased from: Gear4music

Features: Made in 2009 in Indonesia 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, 24.75" scale. Mahogany neck, Basswood body Dot inlays, Chrome hardware Tune-o-matic bridge with stop piece Non locking tuners Les paul shape 1 volume, 1 Tone, 3 Way selector No accesories for included // 7

Sound: Well I started off playing stuff like funeral for a friend which this guitar handled well, then I started playing metal and metalcore with killswitch engage, as I lay dying, Bullet for my valentine etc. It handles all of this really well which I was quite suprised with. My amp is horrible though so the guitar probibily has more to show than it currently does. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As soon as I got it the action was perfect likewise pickup hight etc. All the frets were perfect with none sharp or coming off the fretboard. So overall forme it was perfect when it came out of the box apart from string gauge but that takes 5 mins to change. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The hardware is good quality for the price so should last quite a while, strap buttons are fine as long as your not throwing the guitar around a bit. I've accidently knocked it a few times and it has had no damage so its good in that sense.. Only issues with finish are out of the box I had a small crack under the clear gloss of which also has a yellowish tint to it as I havethe white model this is noticeable. Other than that I have a tiny paint chip around the neck which is under 1mm which was from when I caught it on something I guess. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned in the sound catagory I play quite a variety of tunings and genre's which this guitar can do all of it, from metal to pop-punk, from bands like paramore to as i lay dying etc. I've been playing this guitar for just under a year now and overall around a year and a half, my other guitar is a Strat copy and is horrible so this is my main guitar. If this was stolen or lost I probibly wouldn't buy it again as I have my eyes on a Jackson dinky or a ESP LTD right now so instead of spending money on this again I'd just upgrade but thats not because its a bad guitar its just I'd rather a upgrade and active pickups (in the ESP's case) But if I had the money to get both i probibly would as this is a awesome back up guitar for the price. The only thing I wish it had really is black hardware for the white model but thats cause i love the black and white look on guitars etc. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: ExceBMR, on november 01, 2010

Features: 22 Frets Gloss White Finish Les Paul Style (obviously) 1 Volume Control, 1 Tone Control, 3 Way Selector 2 Alnico Humbuckers Bridge and Neck,no Middle pickup Grover Tuners Tune-O-Matic // 10

Sound: This guitar really fits many of the styles i play, like 80's Metal, Alternative, Grunge... I have it through a Zoom G1XN Multi-Effects Processor, and a Kustom KGA10 Practice amp. Makes everything sound better. It gives me both a Rich/Full and Bright tone by adjusting he tone control. It has a range of clean, nice deep tones, up to distortion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar yesterday, I had a considerable amount of fret buzz towards the top 3 frets at the headstock. After adjusting the truss rod and the string height, it gave me no fret buzz whatsoever. The pickups were loose, I could move them around a little (not sure if it needs to be tightened somewhere). The 3-Way Pickup selector is noisy, it makes a loud click noise when switching. I can deal with it though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar can withstand a live show, considering you don't throw it across the stage. It feels pretty tough. The hardware hasn't given me any trouble after adjusting it, the tuners are absolutely quality made. The strap buttons were nice and wide, enough to get it on and off but not small enough for it to slip (like my Strat). I love the finish on it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play 80's Metal (AC/DC, Def Leppard, Scorpions), Grunge (Nirvana, AIC, Audioslave, Rage Against the Machine). It absolutely sounds great with the right settings for these genres. My first guitar was an Excel Strat Copy, an alright guitar but didn't hold up well. Which is why I got this one. If it were stolen or lost, I'd buy it again and again and again. I love the tone it gives, the feel of it. I don't hate anything about this fine piece of equipment. I wish I would have asked to get it properly adjusted first though. But overall, a GREAT guitar. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: bassplayabrad, on december 06, 2010

Purchased from: Guitar Center Flint,MI

Features: I bought this guitar on Black Friday, 2010(list price $365)and am loving it so far. 22 frets. Quilted top in electric blue. I wouldn't mind a few more controls but for the price I can live with it. Big fan of the dual humbuckers. Not crazy about the non locking tuners but so far it seems to stay in tune pretty well. It didn't come with any accessories but at the price I didn't expect any. // 10

Sound: My band plays a lot of 90's alt rock and this guitar seems to do it all. I don't use a lot of effects, just a Boss distortion pedal and chorus. I play through a line6 and it sounds great. No hums or feedback just clear ringing tones on clean and thick nasty tones on distortion. If I were playing 80's metal I probably would go with something else but for what I do this guitar is perfect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Well set up from the factory and playable right out of the box. I changed the strings of course(no real guitar player plays with factory strings...I like my slinky's) The pickups were fine and I found no flaws whatsoever. The finish does collect fingerprints and dust but with the darker color that is to be expected. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this guitar live yet, but I plan to. The strap buttons seem a little small but I use strap locks anyway. I would feel comfortable using this on stage without a backup (but I always have at least 3 guitars handy when I play live) It's definately lighter than my old kramer. The color is beautiful. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar definately fits with what my band plays and at the price it is like going to guitar center and stealing. I have been playing for about 25 years and have never payed so little for so much. If it were lost or stolen, I would definately get another. The sound is even better than my strat. Thumbs up Epiphone! // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: jimmyjimbo72, on december 10, 2010

Price paid: € 125

Purchased from: Thomann.de

Features: I'm not sure when the guitar was made, nor it's country of manufacture as the "made in..." sticker had been torn off :/ It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard, complete with Dot inlays. Mine is in a 'vintage sunburst' finish which looks wonderful and sports a Tune-O-Matic bridge, 2 uncovered humbuckers, grover tuners (which I have found to hold in tune well considering what other reviews have said) and 3 controls; a volume knob, a tone knob and a 3-way selector switch. All-in-all, a good set of features, although it would have been nice to have controls for each pickup. Oh well, it was cheap enough! I bought this guitar with a Line 6 Spider IV in a Thomann 'creative' bundle. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits most of my played musical genres very well; it sounds great playing rock, punk and blues. However, I find it difficult to get any high-end tones from the pickups when playing through my amp's clean channel, even the bridge pickup, but then again I haven't been able to try this guitar on another amp yet. As I have already mentioned I am using a Line 6 Spider IV 15 which is a rather powerful amp with enough effects to suit me. Through this amp the guitar sounds great for blues, rock, punk and metal. To complement this sound, the guitar's sustain is incredible, especially taking into consideration the price! The pickups are not at all noisy yet still sound strong and rich. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up well at the factory, with a mid-low action and more-or-less perfect intonation. I changed the strings to Ernie Ball Regular Slinky, however, as the default ones were quite poor. There was some fret buzz but a few simple adjustments eradicated this. The pickups were adjusted fine and all of the hardware seemed well installed. The body's burst had a couple of irregularities but personally I felt that this added character to the guitar. Aside from that there were no other flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I feel that this guitar would withstand live playing without a backup. The hardware seems fantastic, although the 3-way Switch seems a little bit loose. The strap buttons seem of decent size but I haven't tried playing with a strap yet. The finish seems great too, well laminated. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar as I'm currently on a year abroad and I wanted something affordable and of some quality so that I could still practise. Thinking about getting a Gibson Les Paul this upcoming Summer, I also wanted a cheap introduction into the LP world. Generally this guitar is wonderful to play and of amazing value. While this matches my blues, punk and rock playing, it doesn't seem to handle reggae and ska too well; for those 2 genres, I feel something like a Fender Strat would suit them better. I have been playing guitar for over 4 years now and I also own a Line 6 Spider IV 15-watt amp and in England I have a Squier Strat, which this guitar beats hands-down, that crappy Squier SP-10 practice amp and a Behringer X V-AMP which is great. If my Special II was stolen now I would probably buy a cheap acoustic, but say it was stolen in February, 2 months before the end of my year abroad, I wouldn't buy a replacement at all. I love the guitar's action and tone in general, but I hate its possible inability to handle reggae and ska. I was thinking about buying a Squier Affinity Tele but this was cheaper, a big factor for me in my current situation as I will only be owning this guitar until March at the latest, then either pawning it, selling it at a guitar shop or eBaying it. I also chose the LP Special II as for once I wanted to try out something with humbuckers. Overall, a fantastic guitar for a great price. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Zach101, on february 11, 2011

Price paid: C$ 150

Purchased from: Local Music Store

Features: Bought this guitar from a local music store about a year ago. Specs: 22 medium frets, 24.75 scale neck, Mahogany neck, Laminated alder/maple body, 1 volume knob, 2 tone knobs, Pickup Configuration: 700T, 650R, 3 way selector, 2 humbucker pickups, open coil. No accessories came with this guitar. // 7

Sound: I play mainly alternative rock/metal, a mixture of clean and distorted guitar. I use a variety of different amps, but I mainly judge a guitar based on what kind of sound it can produce in accordance with my pedal setup. This guitar has an okay sound. It doesn't sound too bad with heavier distortions, the clean is a little bit buzzy though. This guitar would be okay as a rythym guitar in a quieter group. However, it is not well suited for louder venues. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's action is a little bit under average. The actualy body is a lot heavier than most guitars, which gives it an awkward feel. the neck is also a little bit too thick, making it more difficult to play faster solos. I would recommend this guitar for simpler playing as it is not well suited for advanced playing. This guitar has 2 humbucker pickups and therefore gives a fairly well rounded sound. The guitar itself contained no noticeable flaws, though it has no pickguard so the lower part of the body does scratch after some time. Also, some of the tuning pegs loosen after a while. The tone knobs are pretty good quality though; they don't loosen or malfunction. The finish/wood is of relatively decent quality as well. Overall a fairly well built guitar, but not overly versatile. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. However, it will perform better if used properly. For example, it will probably perform best if it is used for rythym purposes (power chords, basic chord patterns, no shredding or anything like that) The hardware will last, provided the guitar is well taken care of. I would not use it a gig without a backup however. I would not use it at all without a noise gate to prevent the buzzing. Not that the buzzing is overly loud, it just gets annoying after a while. The strap buttons are NOT solid at all. On the first day I owned this guitar one of the strap buttons came right off. I put bigger buttons on and those ripped right out as well. I had to bring it back and get it "professionaly" repaired, so I was very disappointed with that. The model I bought was black so even after my constant use it's hard to see the scratches of the pick on the lower half of the guitar. Other than the strap buttons, it's a fairly // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar was ok for a rythym guitar player playing simple rythmic patterns, but little more. (For live stuff) For at home practice, it's fine. I've been playing for 4+ years and was not overly impressed by this guitar. If this guitar was lost or stolen, I would probably look at buying something else (probably an Ibanez). I love that this guitar has the Les Paul style to it; it looks like a great guitar. Other than that it's not a very high quality product. I hate the fact that the knobs came right off and that the neck was too thick. This two factors limited the guitar to simple practice at home as opposed to the possibility of playing this guitar at live shows. I would recommend this guitar to beginners or to rythym guitar players who are on a budget. Other than that, it is unsuitable for lead playing and larger venues. // 6

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: devovinium, on february 15, 2011

Purchased from: Rippers Music, Newport News Va

Features: Features: - Made in the USA - 22 jump frets, rosewood fretboard - Mahogany/rosewood neck, alder/maple body - Dot inlays, chrome hardware - Ebony black finish - Les Paul form factor - Tune-o-matic bridge - One volume, one tone, one three-way Switch - Two humbucking pickups - Non-locking tuners When I purchased this guitar Rippers gave me a free strap, gig-bag, and 10' cable. // 5

Sound: When I purchased this guitar I thought the sound was great, but it was a huge step up from my previous guitar at the time which was an ESP LTD EX-50. Compared to that of course a person would be like holy shnikies! But even still the body didn't supply that long sounding sustain or deep throaty sound one would expect from the Les Paul name. I was using it with a Fender Frontman II at the time. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this thing upon purchase was horrible the strings were set way too high and there was alot of fret buzz particularly around the lower notes (higher frets like 1st and 2nd). At the time I had just started playing guitar and didn't know any better though. I didn't even know to ask for a set up from the dealer. The frets also seemed particularly high and you felt each on distinctly when running your fingers over the board. I know someone will say "you're supposed to feel them" I'm aware of that what I mean is that these were higher than what would be expected. // 3

Reliability & Durability: This is where the guitar really failed me. After owning it for 2 months the pickup Switch stopped working. Now it didn't stop working entirely just most the time and if I switched it back and forth eventually the connection would meet and boom my Bridge pickup would work. At the time I think I was only playing guitar for like 2 hours a week or so, so with this little bit of use that should not have happened (not that it should anyway). The strap button on the butt of the guitar came loose and needed constant tightening. Lastly the fret buzz got worse and worse the long I owned it. // 1

Overall Impression: I play alot of rock music and do covers for bands like 3DG, Metallica, SOAD, Paramore, Papa Roach, and Nickelback. This guitar when it worked did ok with these kinds of tones, but could have been better. My first guitar was a Squire Bullet, and it was better than this thing and about $80 cheaper. In the end I pawned it for a measly $20 and felt lucky cause when the pawn shop owner tried it the pick-ups both worked. Had they not I wouldn't even have got $20 for it. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. There are alot better guitars out there for that kind of money. // 3

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: anvil is god, on may 16, 2011

Features: My guitar has a normal stopbar/tune-O-Matic bridge, two alcino v humbuckers, and crappy machinehead tuners. It has a basswood body, and a rosewood fretboard. The finish is a transparent wine red that is a limited edition finish and it is just amazing. It only has one tone and one volume. Average features for a guitar in this price range, although I do like the Tune-O-Matic bridge. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal and this guitar suits it very well. It can actually get a decent tone out of my terrible Peavey Rage 158. It gets a rich, full tone with scooped mids out of the neck pickup and mid setting, but can get a bit much on the Bridge pickup. It gets a good variety with good distortion and a fair clean, though with the right settings I can get a great blues tone out of it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was perfectly set up from the factory with a low action. The finish on it is amazing because it is the normal wine red except you can see the wood grain underneath it. The only flaw here is the stock tuners are loose but after a week were broken in. After that they worked fairly well and were easy to tune with. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last. I have dropped it and you can't find a single mark on it. It's strap buttons are rock solid and the finish is thick and won't wear off soon. I would not gig without a backup because of the fact that the pickup selector is a bit wobbly and will clip every once in a while. That is really the only issue I can pick out. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. I would advise anyone who is low on cash to get this, as it is the best guitar in its price range. The only thing it could have more is individual tone and volume switches for each pickup. If it were stolen, I would get the lp 100 because that is the next model up. This is a good sturdy guitar that will definitely last. If you want a cheap one, this is the one to get. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: freefour, on june 06, 2011

Features: I bought it this march 2011 new in box sealed (but found out it was manufactured 2008) in Indonesia. It is sweet wine red with the blacked out hardware. Standard frets, body, blah blah blah as other special 2 listed just the wine red has the blacked out hardware. 650 and 700 Alnico V pups are not bad at all realy.A tone and volume and three way selector is all you get, but then that's all I need. The neck felt bigger compared to my 1974 Vintage that I have had since 1983 lol but then it is a Les Paul. The Tuners are the Standard flare and do seem to be ok and stay in tune fairly well, not lockers but hey so I like to tinker a bit every once and a while. Great base to start with and build what I want later. Like a Mustang GT. You don't buy it to just keep it stock. Ya gotta HOT rod that pony. // 8

Sound: The guitar sounds great. It resonates very well from the tip of the head to the butt. The pickups after I set it up to my liking sound great, not muddy at all. Clean when you want them, crunchy when you want them. The vol. And tone pots work from 10-1 without any choppiness or anything and have a solid feel to them like they will last not plastic feeling like I felt on other makes and models. Although I am only using a Micro Cube now (left my Princton Reverb amp in the states) it sounds great threw it in every style. Let me say this it is not a Gibson 335 or Les Paul Custom but I didn't pay that kinda price for this either. What I got was a guitar that for the money paid is a excellent well made guitar that is easy to add Custom parts to and build upon as I own and play and enjoy it. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I opened the box it was some what in tune but really who just opens the box and plays one lol. I set up the pups, action to 2.2 mm and 2.0 mm, intonation, although roughly from the box it was close, just fine tuned it a bit. The finish is gorgeous love it love it love it. The blacked out hardware is fairly tough, haven't chipped it yet. I have had to take the inlet jack off because it kept getting loose. Looked at the nut and it was in a binde (the stop nut not the nut on the outside) took it off and put another on put plate back on and secured outside nut and haven't had any problems since (and I check it daily lol) The tuners I haven't had any problems out of at all. Maybe once a week I will need to give it a tiny adjustment, really tiny like on the meter is showing a hare sharp or flat but still in the green so that could simply be from different temps and humidity in the air when I am playing it. But then your guitar should be a little temperamental that's what gives them character. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Susanna would definitely hold her own in a gig and I would have no problem take her to one.Everything seems to hold up well and stay correct and not like fall off lol. I have great fun outside on our balcony strumming along for a few hours at a time and she hasn't let me down at all or even giving a hint that she would. A well made basic guitar that should last. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly older 70's and 80's style rock as well as some classical, bluegrass, country when I've a little JD. Alt, R+B, easy listening, just all kinds sort of. I have been playing guitars since 1983 and really Susanna does everything I play well, not necessarily great in any one aspect but good over all. I'm very pleased with her and would I replace her if lost or stolen. Duh yeah. I have played many makes and models of guitars over the last 28 years from classic Gibsons, acoustics, electrics, Fenders, Washburns, Ibanezs, B.C. Rich. And the list goes on. You name it and I have probably played it once or twice or more lol lived just outside Nashville TN for years and always went to the stores and studios as a kid. Played at festivals and for just for fun with my buddies. If I wanted a better guitar I would have bought it, if I wanted a specific sound I know what to get, but for overall just strumming around and having a guitar that can cover as many bases as I do it does the job and does it well. Very happy. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Dannomite, on august 08, 2011

Price paid: C$ 80

Features: I'm not sure what year it was made. Same features as every other Special II on the planet. // 8

Sound: The guy I bought it off of was running it through a tube amp of some sort and it sounded good. Even running it though my solid state practice amp was good. It sounded as good as you'd expect a budget guitar to sound. No better, no worse. I guess you could play pretty much anything with it. How well is another story. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the Special II fails. The poly finish on it is tough as nails, but that's it. I recently stripped the whole guitar down to use for a project and this is what I found. -Advertised as Mahogany, but they fail to mention it's ply wood. -Pickup cavities are poorly cut and slightly off center. -The neck was too sticky for my liking (thick poly). -The hardware feels cheap. // 2

Reliability & Durability: Despite the poor parts and craftsmanship, it's solid and will put up with a beating. Like I said, the poly finish is great and will put up with a beating, but who cares. It's not worth babying this guitar (the rest is just filler now) You could gig with it if you had to, but why would you want to. So many superior guitars for the price. // 8

Overall Impression: I haven't forgotten that this is a budget guitar, BUT, I'd expect this level of garbage by a Made in China, no name Company. Not Epiphone. This has a brand new $185 cad price tag and it's worth half that. My advice is that if you want one, by used and don't pay more than $90-100. If you want new, Squier (Affinity Series) builds superior guitars for that price range. If you absolutely want a Les Paul style guitar, get the Xaviere XV-440. It's styled like the old Gibson Specials with P90s for $209. You can get them even cheaper if you get a blemish model. I have a blem XV-550 and it's beautiful. The blemish was the rear strap button was half an inch off. // 3

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Hertz32, on april 23, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

Features: Two open-coil Alnico V Humbucker pickups for great classic sound and the Tune-o-matic bridge/Stopbar tailpiece combo. Exeptional spec for the price its totally reliabe no matter what you do with it. The tuners are a bit cheap though... But it really is great for the money and I couldn't have asked for more. // 10

Sound: It has amazing sustain and the open humbuckers really give it crunch when you need it. That said it is not an all out rock guitar. It copes just as well with strumming and the Tune-o-matic bridge really adds to the versatility of this guitar. Its not particularly twangy though. It really does cope with all music styles. Its a beginner guitar for beginners who don't neccesarily know where their music will take them. The sound form this guitar will follow you down whatever patch you choose. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was perfect for me straight out of the box. The pickups were at a perfect level to give a real and meaningful distinction between them. The tone knob was at an angle when I got it so I had to apply some force to get it pushed down onto the nut it was attached to. // 8

Reliability & Durability: "Will this guitar withstand live playing?" - Hell Yeah! I have gigged this without a backup! Hardware is well constructed and shows Little/No signs of wear. The strap buttons are really good. I don't use strap locks and I haven't dropped it yet... Touch wood. The finish is one of the best parts of this guitar! It is nice and shows no scratches. // 10

Overall Impression: I played Grunge/Rock/Metal and it holds up brilliantly. I'm using it with a Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp and they are made for each other. If it was stolen I would seriously consider buying another. But a RVS Custom Strat for 184 (no I'm not telling where) might just take it. I just wish the tuners were better. // 9

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: svrdinator, on may 08, 2012

Price paid: C$ 175

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: - 2011 Malaysian made Epiphone Les Paul - 22 fret neck, seems to be a bit thicker than usual, but with the thin width, and smooth feel its easy to roll along decently - Basic black finish, gets lots of fingerprints, but they come off easy enough - LP style body with tune-o-matic bridge - Tone and Volume knobs, and 3 way treble - rhythm switch - Came as is, but it's a good deal. // 8

Sound: Plays beautifully, and the 3 way switch gives a huge range of sound clean or distorted. Playing through an Orange crush amp, can give a selection of jazz to metal to brit 60's rock. Gives a nice full sound that can fill a room nicely. Compares well to my 650$ PRS SE Akerfeldt. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Just got it recently and haven't had to change anything yet. Pickups worked well straight off the shelf. No flaws I have found yet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Already gigged it and some people thought I was playing a Gibson LP Special. Hardware worked fine for all my shenanigans. Played varied selection on the single guitar. Very thick and sturdy finish. // 10

Overall Impression: Play anything you can name and so far it has sounded good. Been playing about 3 yrs. If it were stolen, it is cheap enough I'd probe go get another one. For a price difference of over 500$, my PRS only has an edge in a few categories. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Patrick420, on december 31, 2003

Features: I have the 2003 model, apparently assembled in the US. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard. Has a knob for volume and a knob for tone, which is all I need starting out. I could even do without the tone knob seeing that I never adjust it. Also has a Switch that instantly changes from rythm to lead, or from neck pickup to body pickup. The guitar has two nice humbuckers, perfect for what I use it for. The body looks great, just like a regular Les Paul with a Vintage sunburst finish, and is made from alder/maple. I bought the guitar in a pack that came with a pretty nice Epiphone Studio 10S amp, an Epiphone gig bag, a strap, a cable, some picks, and an instructional video. It was a great deal. // 10

Sound: As I said before this guitar is perfect for what I am playing with it, which is mostly rock, some punk, and some metal. I am playing it through the 10w amp that came with it, but I have tried it on a more expensive 65w amp and the sound was still just as sweet as any $1000 Les Paul. The sound is very crunchy, just as any rock guitar should be, but I have also produced some mellow tones after playing around with it. I just love the humbuckers over the single coils. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was in perfect condition when I got it. The action was set just as it needed to be. The finish on the body is pretty much unscratchable. Both knobs turn smoothly and the rythm/treblr selecter will not come loose unless you beat it with a hammer. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played this guitar live yet, but my friend doesn't even carry a backup when he uses his Special II live. The body can't be beaten up. I have run the headpiece and the body into walls and desks and everything else imaginable and there are no scratches or marks anywhere. The finish will NOT wear off no matter what I put this thing through. The strap buttons haven't given me the slightest bit of trouble, only the strap that came with it is poorly made, but I wasn't even expecting to get one. When I get better and start playing live, I would definately use this before spending my money on anything else...well unless I was rich and could buy countless Gibson Les Paul Customs to perform with. // 10

Overall Impression: The Epiphone Special II is the best guitar out there for the money. I have tried other guitars such as Fenders and Squires, but this is by far my favorite. The humbucker pickups and the powerful sound just could not be matched by those. I couldn't imagine playing rock with anything else. The Les Paul body is beautiful, and the Vintage Sunburst finish is great. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would definately get another. The only thing missing is the fret marker inlays are dots instead of the trapezoid shape on other Les Pauls, though I can definately live without those. I highly recommend this guitar to any beginner-intermediate player, or even an expert who is just looking for a cheaper back-up guitar. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: TBCIV, on april 30, 2004

Features: This is pretty much as basic of a guitar as you can get, as it is meant to be. This is what I got as my first learning guitar, so its what I paid for. It's got 22 frets, which isn't bad, but I could have used a few more. But also the frets are on the small side, making them harder to use near the top of the neck. Its got only two knobs and two pickups, with a three position pickup Switch. The pickups are both humbucklers though, which sound good. The rosewood neck is nice. // 6

Sound: Suprisingly I can get pretty good sounds out of it, especailly once I got very used to playing it. Although when I hear it right next to a really good guitar, you can tell the difference. It suits the band I'm in right now, which is an Indie rock band, because its got that sorta half-assed tone that sounds good with that. Also played alot blues with it, and its ease of use and play made that better as well. When the distortion is really cranked though, it can feeback extemely easily. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Seemed allright when I got it. Can't remember if it had any problems right off the bat, didn't know enough about guitars to know at the time. Couldn't have been perfect though because of the problems listed below. Came as part of a package, which had an small amp, strap, and gig bag. Whole package was $300, so that's why I said its around 225 for the guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I've had many reliability & durability issues with this guitar, but its crap what do you expect? I've often had the pickups sink into the body, needing re-adjustment every month or so. I've had some pickups or the Switch fail occasionally, coming back unexpectedly. The volume knob once became loose inside so you turn it more then 360 degrees. Stap buttons could hold my strap on for squat, had to get those replaced. Also one of the tunning pegs are loose, not sure if its my fault or not. Also intonation went a little bad, again not sure if its my fault or not. Already got some big chips in the finish despite a lack of much real abuse. I would never gig professionaly with this. This IS my backup. My bitch guitar that I'll smash or lite on fire some day. // 2

Overall Impression: Well although this may seems like one of the most harsh reviews in recent history, I give it a four overall because in reality, this guitar is supposed to be bad. Its cheap! I make up for its tone with my Boss GT-6 effects proccesor, which really makes what it is insignificant. Its had some some minor problems here and there, but nothing that made it so I couldn't play. I like the fact its cheap because I don't have to worry about taking care of it too much and I even painted on it. It's always good to know that you have a guitar that is just fun to play. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Kiran Warren, on november 25, 2006

Features: I'm not sure where or when it was made but it has 22 frets and has a plain black finish. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge with stop piece and two passive humbuckers. It's got a volume and a tone and a 3-way pickup selector. I didn't get any other gear with the guitar. // 7

Sound: It kinda suits my style of music I guess, I usually play metal like In Flames, Through The Eyes Of The Dead, etc. I just use a crappy Maniac amp with no pedals or anything. It's quite fuzzy and creates a bit of noise when full distortion. But apart from that the guitar has a suprisingly good sound for it's price. Especially the clean tone which sounds alright. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up fine and the I never changed the pick ups or anything. But the tuners are bad quality and some of the screws come loose every now and again. The little bolt kinda thing around the jack and the pick up selector come loose often. The fittings in to keep the tuners in snug come out very often and are pretty much impossible to keep in there after playing frequently. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't use this guitar for live playing but it's good for beginners or for just jamming. The hardware seems like it will last except for the tuners, they get more and more loose and time goes by. I wouldn't gig without backup but don't get me wrong this is a sturdy little guitar. The guitar has a black finish and it seems to be holding up fine and I have no dents on it. // 6

Overall Impression: I play metal and this guitar was fine with low end sounds, but the high end was a bit screechy. If it were stolen I wouldn't get a new one because I'm about to get a guitar in a couple of days and it didn't cost a lot so it wouldn't be a big loss. This guitar isnt as good as others but for the price it's a very good deal. It's cheap, durable and you can play anything with it. // 7

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: chocolame, on july 19, 2007

Purchased from: Music City

Features: This is a pretty good guitar overall as far as features go. This guitar features a really nice Rosewood fretboard with dot inlays. I like the look of the fretboard because it really works with the finishes that Epiphone gives you to choose from. The neck is made of Mahogany which gives me the sound I like. It has 22 Jumbo Frets and is a good guitar to learn on. All chrome hardware really looks great with the all black guitar. The neck is a bolt on. The body is made of Basswood which I give a 5 out of 10 as far as sound. This guitar features two humbucker pickups which are: 650R at the neck and a 700T at the bridge. Both pickups are passive. I own the all black version of this guitar but there is another finish called Vintage Sunburst. I had a hard time fixing the action on this guitar which is a strike for this guitar. The controls that Epiphone gives you with this guitar are: Volume Control (1-10), Tone Control (1-10), and a 3-way selector switch to switch between using the treble pickup, the rhythm pickup, and using both. The treble pickup in this guitar gives a great harsh sound and the Rhythm pickup definitely gives a very nice smooth sound. When using the rhythm pickup you have to be careful about not turning the tune knob down too much or this guitar will give a very bass-like muffled sound. I play a lot of metal and I usually just use my Treble pickup because of the harshness it gives off. This guitar could very well be used to play anything from metal to blues. I bought this guitar with the starter pack. The starter pack includes a gig bag, three picks, a strap, a tuner, an amp cord, and a 10w Epiphone amp. The amp has an 8' Electar Labs speaker in it. The amp also features master volume, boost switch, gain control, 3-band EQ (bass, middle, treble), and a headphone jack. The headphone jack is nice for when other members of your household are asleep and you want to play. Overall the features of this guitar are good for the price. // 7

Sound: This guitar is a great guitar for metal, rock, and any variation of the two. I love the sound this guitar gives me. I have played all of the following bands with my guitar and sounded great: Metallica, Guns N' Roses, Rammstein, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Rush, Scary Kids Scaring Kids, Ozzy Osbourne, Kalmah, Iron Maiden, Korn, Atreyu, Megadeth, ZZ Top, Cacophony, Pantera, Alice Cooper, Slayer, Rush, Kiss, Boston, Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Judas Priest, Agalloch, Children Of Bodom, and Anthrax. To acquire those sounds I used the B-52 AT-112 amp and sometimes I used my Boss DS-1 Distortion Pedal. Once again you have to be careful with the tone knob when your pickup selector is flipped to Rhythm. This LP can give some great sounds. When the pickup selector is flipped to the Rhythm pickup the guitar gives you a very smooth, luscious, and sweet sound. When the pickup selector is flipped to the Treble pickup the guitar gives you a Harsh, and cold sound. Overall you can get just about whatever sound you want out of this guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I pulled this guitar out of it's package, I looked it over to check that everything looked good. The action was good, there were no scratches, no dings, and the bridge was setup great too. The pickups needed a little work however it wasn't too bad. The pickup selector is still loud and it is hard to keep disguised while playing for an audience. Whenever your playing on your amp and you need to switch between pickups you hear a very loud clicking sound. Over all the Action, Fit, and Finish is pretty good. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have owned this guitar for about three years however never played it much until this past year. This year I have played this guitar ever day for about 3-4 hours a day and it is still working like the day I bought it! The strings that come on this guitar don't last very long at all so I would advise anyone buying this guitar to buy and new pack of strings at the same time. The hardware seems like it will last however I have had some problems. My output jack has come unscrewed multiple times and keeps shorting out. My volume knob also had some problems with unscrewing. I would not use this guitar at a gig without a backup simply because if I broke the strings on it then I would have nothing to play. That is the only reason I would not use it by itself though. The finish seems very good and does not seem like it would wear off easily. Overall the reliability of this guitar is mediocre. // 6

Overall Impression: I play Metal, Rock, and any variation of the two and this LP suits my style very well. This guitar gives me the exact sounds I want out of it which makes me glad that I bought this guitar. I have owned this guitar for almost 4 years and every day has been a good day with this guitar. Something I wish I had asked before I bought this guitar was "Should I wait and save up to buy something better, or go ahead and buy this guitar now?" However if this guitar was stolen or lost I would not buy this guitar again. Just because I would not buy this guitar again does not mean that it is not a good guitar for beginners; I just would not buy it because my playing level has increased and I want a different guitar to suit my playing level. I would advise every beginner to buy this guitar because it is great to start off with. // 7

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 03, 2007

Purchased from: Daddy's Music

Features: This guitar I purchased about 6 years ago, and I still have it. It was set up in a Gibson factory in 2001 of August, It is now 2007 of Nov as I write this!. This was my first electric guitar. It has everything you need to get started in rock. It supply's you with the bare basics at a cheap cost. Two made in Korea Humbuckers, a bolt-on 21fret neck"which is a good thing", two nobs one for vol. the other for tone, and a three-way Switch that I am not to crazy about. This is a std sized guitar. it's not like the std LP's the whole body is flat, it's not figured, remember this is a starters guitar!, The guitar is set up by Gibson though. I guess they ship the parts from Korea then Gibson sets it up. idk, but it's lasted and it got me through. I switched to a Mex Fender Strat 3 years later and that guitar is amazing as far as quality. My next guitar will either be a PRS SE, or Epiphone LP Custom. // 7

Sound: It defiantly suits my style. I play modern hard rock, blues, and jazz. It can handle it all. I first started off with a cheap amp by Epi for it, then I bought a cheap Fender frontman amp for it with an effects processor and let me tell you, it sounded pretty good. I just bought a high end Fender Blues Jr. Blackface tube amp, and both my guitars sound amazing through it. And yes, this guitar is noisy unless you have a N.C. which takes away from overall tone sometimes, but my Strat doesn't have that problem because I put in Noiseless Pickups. Come on Gibson and PRS make some noiseless pickups please! This guitar sounds like an Epiphone the bite is not as powerful as American wound Pickups, but it's good for a starter. I've played Gibson's and If you want that sound then purchase Gibson Pickups for your Epiphone it will save you an arm and a leg. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Very well set up, better than my Fender when I got it. I had to set up my Strat all on my own. This guitar has lower action though than my Strat. No buzzing at all, but even if their was just go online and look up at Gibson on how to set up your Stop-tail piece. Everything was mint out of the box! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this guitar Live, just because of the 3-way switch. It is nothing but a bad, loose connection in their! It makes that horrible scrambled noise when you touch it. My Fender switch doesn't have that problem. "Come on Epiphone" make better electric parts. If the switch would stay yes you could play Live. My friend has an Epiphone STD LP. And he has that same problem with his switch. If the switch worked better I'd give this a 10. My friend has had his Epi for 4 years now and it is starting to crack around where the neck meets the body, that's why I'm considering buying a different brand, next time. Other than that Sturdy guitar. this has a bolt-on neck so no worries. It's stood up to a whole 6 years of use and I don't even have a case for it hahaha. // 8

Overall Impression: Basically I really didn't want this guitar I wanted the more expensive versions, but hey if your just a starter, then it's good enough. It makes a nice Christmas gift for the surprise to the beginner player. Overall I was happy with it and it got me through. What a nice guitar. Thanks Epiphone! // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: kevcop9617, on november 13, 2007

Purchased from: local pawn shop

Features: I picked up this Epi Special, about 3 months ago.The head is the standard Epi head, and the switches etc, are Gibson. Whether this is true accross the board, I am unsure. it's probably Japan made, although it doesn't state that fact. The neck is Standard 22 fret, with frets thinner than my Strat. The body is alder, the neck is probably maple. I doubt it's mahogany. It's a solid black color with a very high gloss finish. The body is Les Paul style, although it's flat, rather than arched. It has the Tune-O-Matic bridge, and stop bar, identical to most Les Pauls. It comes with two nice humbuckers, stamped Epiphone on the reverse side. Its controls are one volume, 1 tone, with a 3-way switch. Probably not switchcraft though. The pots are indeed 500k Gibson pots. Whether that's the norm, once again, I don't know. It had the regular enclosed cheapo deluxe non locking tuners, but I have since replaced them with a set of chrome grovers. As far as accesories. // 6

Sound: I play a lot of Slash-esque riffs, and the special pulls it off rather well. The tonal quality is great, with the wax potted pickups and 500k pots. I get very little hum, and run it thru either a DOD or Zoom pedal hooked to my Crate amp. Harmonics are great, sustain is pretty decent, although my Les Paul kills it on sustain. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very smooth, and the strings very close to the fret board. Pickups needed some finessing. The only issues I noticed was noise from loose strap buttons, and the wires needed trimmed. The wood quality was good, and luckily you can't see any wood, so the finish is impeccable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It would withstand a live gig, however I believe the attendees wouldn't be that thrilled with it. The hardware is pretty fine, although it never hurts to upgrade. The strap buttons are mounted good, albeit a little small. I would definitely consider strap locks. The finish is deep, and glossy. I would bring it to a gig as the backup. If my Les petered out I maybe able to fake it to the end. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, it suits my musical taste. I have 6 other guitars, and this one gets used second to my Les. If stolen I would definitely buy another one. I am considering getting a second one, so I can hot rod this one. I like the color, the shape, the sound, I just wish they had doubled up the vol and tones, but then again, that's a Les. A bigsby would be fun, but as it is, it's a great value. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: bobbyj84, on january 23, 2008

Features: This is your Standard staerter guitar. Not too much going on, a normal Tune-O-Matic bridge with the stop bar and tail piece. I got the Vintage sunburst with chrome hardware, it was a sexy looking guitar if you ask me. The only controls are one pickup selector Switch, one volume, and one tone knob. They have an rosewodd fretboard with 22 frets. Other than that, not too much going on. // 7

Sound: I play mostly blues and classic rock on this guitar. I was fairly happy with the sound and all, keeping in mind with the price. The sound quality wasn't too great either because I was playing through a Marshall MG10. If you put it through I good amp, it sounded pretty good for the price range. The harmonics weren't that great, but that's mostly in the pickups. This would sound a lot better going through a better amp and a pickup switch. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was decent, but it did have a bit high action, which I'm not too fond of. Keep in mind this wasn't properly set up as it was a starter guitar. The electronics aren't great on this. Like I said before, the guitar would sound a lot better with a pickup Switch. The tuners were actually great on this, I was suprised. The nut on the other hand was awful. It looked like cheap plastic, not good at all. The finishes this guitar comes in are great, the Vintage sunburst looks insane, I strongly encourage it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is where I have a problem. The nut wouldn't stand up to a show playing. I couldn't play for a decent amount of time without a strign snapping because of the nut. It was cheap plastic. THE NUT IS AWFUL! Bottom line. The strap buttons were pretty bad too, my strap would continuously fall off. This finish was great, it wouldn't chip. So when it comes to reliability and durability, this guitar is very low quality. // 4

Overall Impression: I played mostly classic rock and blues on this guitar. It was a great match. For a starter guitar, the quality is fairly good, however, you could find better. If you go for a low end Ibanez, Schecter, or maybe even Squier could be comparable to this. It was also hard to get quality tone because there was only one tone knob. If I did have to pick a starter guitar for someone to start with, this would be one of my first choices. Do beware of the nut though. // 7

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: Neonknight2112, on january 06, 2009

Features: 22 Jumbo scale frets. The tuners on mine were no name crappy tuners. I got a set of Grover tuners and it stays in tune all the time now. Tune-o-matic bridge, no problems with that so far and I've had it for around 8 months. Passive humbuckers, good but might replace when I get some cash for EMGs or some such thing. 1 Volume, 1 Tone, 3 way selector. I got a 15 watt amp and gig bag because the guy basically sold me the Starter Kit. // 7

Sound: Mostly I play metal and rock and so far this guitar has performed very well. I have it tuned for E flat with.11s. I use a DigiTech RP90 and a Marshall MG30DFX. Not noisy as I remember. Great distortion with this and putting it directly through to the amp gives a great dark clean sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't had need to adjust pickups or action or anything like that, but as I have already stated the tuners were crap. Finish is ok but not the best looking in the world. Frets I have had no problems with. Honestly I'm no expert on guitars but the bridge and everything else seems ok. The action was good when I got it but that might be because it was pre-owned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: 8 months and I haven't had a problem with it. Hardware is good but I had trouble keeping the strap on. Get a set of strap locks and it's all good. The input jack does need tightening once in awhile but it's not much of a problem if you do. If you don't it gets loose and there's a lot of noise I would definitely use without a backup. It's lasted wonderfully. // 7

Overall Impression: I've played for almost a year now and it's good. If the guitar were stolen, I might upgrade to another Epiphone but I would have no problems buying this again. the only thing I would complain about is the finish, it's sunburst but it doesn't really look good. Good enough for a beginner but tuners need replacing and strap locks are a good idea because of the guitars weight. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: metal_punk, on july 07, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Pro

Features: I believe this is one of the newer 2006 models. 22 small/medium frets, rosewood fingerboard. The neck is kinda thin for my taste but good. It is a solid-top guitar. Umm the body is basswood, so it is very light-weight, which is a plus. The finish is gloss black and holds up very well. It is a Les Paul stylre guitar with a tune-o-matic bridge. Passive electronics, (Alnico humbuckers.) There's 1 volume, 1 tons and a 3-way pickup selector. It's got bridge/neck pickup config. The tuners are Standard Epiphone tuners. // 7

Sound: First off, I play technical death metal and grindcore, so I'm biased. But it does actually sound pretty great out of my 12 watt practice amp. It will play just about anything, Hotel California, Metallica, The Faceless, you name it. I don't use any effects just the distortion and tone controls on my amp. The guitar is a bit noisy, but I think that's because of my terrible amp and cable. It has quite a bright sound when clean, a little darker in overdrive. The harmonics on this guitar could be better, but that's ok. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't say, bought it used. The action was perfect when I bought it though. I had to raise the pickups quite a bit, but that's not a problem. The only flaw is that the fret's are raised a small bit near the high e string. But that was probably cause by the previous owner. Also, the G-string tuner is kind of loose. // 6

Reliability & Durability: For Live playing I would probably not use this guitar, just because when I play Live, I jump around and the guitar is pretty thin. The hardware is pretty great on the guitar actually. My only complaint, however, is that my bridge pickup will cut in and out and sometimes not work at all. Remember though, I bought it used. Strap buttons are great, haven't worn out at all. I would not use this guitar Live, but it's because of my damaged bridge pickup, and the guitar is used, so I don't think it came that way. My finish is scratched on the back all the way to the wood, because somebody played my guitar without permission with a belt on. But the finish has lasted quite a while besides that. // 7

Overall Impression: For death metal and the sort, I wouldn't really recommend this guitar, but to regular rock, oldies metal, and blues, it's a can't miss opportunity for the price. I have been playing electric guitar for close to a year now, asnd I use no other gear that isn't previously described. Umm... at the moment I'm about to buy a Schecter Damien 6 guitar, so if I lost or this got stolen, I wouldn't mind that much. I love how versatile it is. I hate the broken bridge pickup. My favorite feature is probably the body wood, because of how light it is. I compared this guitar to a Warlock silver series, a Jackson Kelly, and an ESP KH-20. I chose this one because it is about $300 cheaper. I do wish it had EMG's but I'm to cheap to buy them // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: arlojbaker, on april 16, 2010

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

Features: Basically just the guitar with a Standard set-up. Neck and Bridge humbucker pick-ups with volume and tone controls and a Switch to go to either one or both. Like everything with the guitar, not bad for the price. // 8

Sound: Once again, for the price this guitar sounds great. I have a smaller Randall amp and can (to my surprise) do a lot of different styles with it, which is good for someone like me who tries to play whatever whenever. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is very open to change and being so cheap, I'm not afraid of breaking it so it has a lot of variety. I do have some problems with the action but lowering the strings would probably help with that. My special did have some almost serious problems with the tuning nuts and I'll probably have to get new ones soon but then again, I bought it at a pawn shop and the tuning nuts were original so I can't fault Epiphone too much on that one. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is pretty durable and would serve as a good back-up but not necessarily your main guitar (due to the average sound). The hardwood will last me a while. I bought it about 6 months ago and I haven't exactly treated it like a princess yet it still plays good. The finish hasn't worn off through my playing and the previous owner's time with it. The flaw I find in it is the tuning nuts are not very durable, at one point while playing my high e string became loose and I saw the screw holding it in on the floor. // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is summed up in 4 words "great for the price." I do wish I had a better guitar; but I lost this one? I would probably buy it again because I'm not in any shape financially to afford anything better. // 8

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: lshaddock, on april 07, 2011

Purchased from: Gumtree

Features: Epiphone, the greatest copy of Gibson there is. Although this model looks quite basic it packs a lot of punch when plugged into a decent amplifier. The basi look was done on purpose by the designers of this guitar to make punk rockers like tom delonge look a bit younger and childish. It has 22 frets with a very low action (probably the best I've seen). Although it comes in many colours I have a Gloss black finish which looks stunning. Neck is painted which some people says is a pain in the ass but I have had it for 3 years and played hours on end on stage and have had no problem with stickiness from sweat. // 9

Sound: If I were to suggest a type of genre for this guitar I would choose mainly Bluesy rock - Pop punk. Myself I use a Marshall valvestate 100w and it sounds incredible and with very little if anything of feedback. The humbuckers are perfectly placed to get the correct sound for lead and rythm. With 22 frets it can go a pitch higher than an ordinary fender. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory made this guitar very well with the best actioned guiar I've ever played on. Pickups needed a bit of work but who doesn't like fiddling with their guitar a bit to make it perfect. :) Everything about the finish is brilliant. When bought it had no flaws in it at all that needed repairing and it was in perfect condition, and still is. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is super reliable and is a real joy to play. Although not the lightest of guitars its weight is very well distrubuted so it gives you a comfortable feel when playing standing up. As I've said already I've had this guitar for a few years now and nothing seems to be wearing away, no rust, no fretware damage. When going to a gig I always take one of my other guitars as a backup but out of my 11 amazing guitars I always take this one as my first choice and I've never had to use my spare. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pop punk/punk/rock and this guitar fits perfect for the sound it produces and the way it looks for a punk rocker. I've always said Ibanez for heavy metal, Fender for blues - light rock, and epiphone/gibson in between. If it was stolen I would go straight out to buy another one, lol. Love everythng about it, and hate nothing. Favourite feature go to be the head with 3 tuning heads either side, looks funky. I was going to buy an SG instead but I discovered they are like twice the weight as these. The only thing which I would add if I could would be a second tone knob and a whammy bar. // 10

Les Paul Special II Reviewed by: logan97, on august 15, 2011

Purchased from: Craigslist

Features: -It was made in China. -it has twenty frets -it has a laminated top. -I don't know what neck woods. -I think its a Les Paul body style. -I belive its a string-thru body? -there are two pickups. -I belive they are non locking. -it came with a gig bag and a cable and the amplifier. // 10

Sound: It suits my style of music perfectly! I like to play with alot of distortion and sometimes clean, and it works excellent with both. I use an Epiphone Studio 15R amplifier with it. It has a pretty decent volume with out an amplifier, it has a bright sound. I think you could make just about any sounds with this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I got it from the previous owner, but it has not a single scratch or dent or flaw in the finish on it, I don't believe that he played it very much so it must of have been that way when he got it, so it must have been ste up well. It is set up very well! The string were on correct an everything, no lose screws, poor quality wood or anything, just perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I believe that this guitar would withstand live playing, it sturdy. The hardware seems very high quality, the knobs are very fancy see through. The strap buttons are not going anywhere anytime soon. Yes I would use it at a gig without a backup. The finish is perfect, its glossy and works well with the white. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all differeant types of music, from punk to alternative, and it works well in each song. I've been playing for a year and this is my first electric guitar, and this guitar has made Epiphone my favorite brand. I have felt MANY differeant guitars when trying to find one and I like this one better then them all. I would definetly buy this again. I dotn hate anything about it, but I do wish it came with a place to stick a whammy. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014