Les Paul Standard Plus Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 01/21/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Standard Plus
2 HBS Pickups. Chrome Hardware. Mahogany Set Neck. Mahogany/Alder Body. Flame Maple Top.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 8.6
 8.2
reviews (46) pictures (7) 141 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: nic_2090, on august 08, 2005

Features: This guitar was made in 2004. It has 22 frets, flame-maple top, grover tuners, and a herritage cherry-sunburst. It is made of Mahogany, has 2 volume pots, 2 tone pots, and a 3-way selector Switch. // 10

Sound: I play a large variety of different stlyes, from metal to blues, and this guitar is very versatile. It has a wonderful clean tone, and can produce some great blues sounds with the neck pick-up. Using the bridge pickup, it can give a huge and full metal sound, with a huge low-end. It's great for either sharp, piercing leads, or rich, full rhythms. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfectly set-up. The finish was flawless, the pick-ups were perfectly adjusted, and the action is so low that the guitar practicaly plays itself, with no fret-buzz at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been very reliable up to this point, and has withstood all of the performances that I've done with it. I've used this guitar without a backup so far, and I haven't had a single problem. // 10

Overall Impression: For the price, this is a wonderful and versatile guitar. Anyone who wants that huge Les Paul sound, but doesn't have thousands to spend on a Gibson, doesn't have to look any further. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 14, 2009

Price paid: C$ 535

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: This particular guitar was made in China (as per inspection of the serial number) in 2003. The scale is 24.75", and the neck has 22 frets featuring the hallmark trapezoid inlays. The fretboard is rosewood, which seems to showcase the inlays quite nicely. The body material is an enormous brick of mahogany, which is in all likelihood the single best overall feature I can mention here. The top of the body is book-matched flamed maple. The set neck also consists of mahogany as well. Wanting the "archetypal rock guitar," I purchased what appeared to be Epiphone's flagship model of the time, which was finished in "Heritage Cherry Sunburst." The color varies from deep cherry surrounding the exterior and progresses toward warm golden hues in the interior of the body. Regardless of the color variation, each hue of the stain highlights the grain of the maple top in it's entirety. The bridge is the archetypal "tune-o-matic" model, finished in chrome in the same fashion as the tuners. The pickups are a pair of Alnico classic humbuckers, which are passive. There are four controls, two for tone and two for volume. For the $535 dollars I paid at the time, the guitar was the only thing included int he overall price. I managed to talk the salesperson into giving me a break on the hardshell case, which ran me an additional $70. As a word to the wise, I strongly recommend purchasing the specific case to fit this model. This isn't a guitar that you're going to feel good about gigging around in a softshell. // 8

Sound: I have a particularly eclectic taste in music, and I'll play just about anything from blues, to country, to rock, to metal. My technical acumen, however, dictates that I stick mainly to blues-rock, which I also seem to enjoy more than any other music style. I own a Line6 Spider III (you can turn your noses up to me if you like, but for my minimal gigging and relative volume restrictions, the Spider was truly the best amp for me), which gives me a fairly large selection of sound choices to apply to the Les Paul. Here's the deal, and I might as well get this out in the open first and foremost: the Les Paul has what is quite possibly the single most deep, layered, and complex range of sounds which I have ever obtained from a single musical instrument. The neck pickup produces rhythm and blues tones as if it were bred for that sole purpose. In contrast, the bridge pickup is capable of producing a deep, intimidating snarl and absolutely crushing leads. I've heard that Spider's tend to have a certain homogenizing effect upon the guitars which play out of them; I ardently disagree. The Les Paul has an actual presence... A sense of depth and power that seems to radiate from the instrument; it's menacing. This is the result of that enormous mahogany body. The best word that I can use to describe it is "full" because in comparison, all of my other guitars seem to sound decidedly "thin" when played after it. The aforementioned experience akin to drinking a glass of fruit juice after a particularly full-bodied glass of red wine. Perhaps that's a touch too indulgent with metaphor, but you certainly get the idea. When it comes to sound, there is absolutely no comparison; the Epiphone Les Paul is peerless in it's class. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was entirely well presented when I received it from the factory. The pickups were perfect, the top flawlessly book-matched. There were absolutely no defects at all. The sole bone I had to pick was the action; coming from years of playing Ibanez-style guitars, I'm a firm believer in low action, and I found that the action set to this model from the factory was rather high for my liking. This is nothing a few minutes and screwdriver couldn't fix. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for just under six years now, and I've yet to see a defect manifest itself. I know this may sound cliche, but if I were to give the guitar a routine polish and a string replacement, you'd have absolutely no idea that the guitar was even owned. This guitar, unlike many of my others, stays in tune over very prolonged periods of use. This is with the absence of a locking nut or any other assistance to keep it in tune. Yes, it lacks a whammy bar, which is likely a strong contributing factor to this trait, but the guitar is made incredibly well, and even resists temperature and humidity fluctuations with equal ease. If you're looking for a solid, dependable guitar which you could count on to perform, this is likely the single best priced model in it's class. // 8

Overall Impression: Here's the part where I'm free to speak my mind without adhering to any particular review parameters. For the style of music that I play most often, this guitar is an excellent match. The sound it provides is better suited to blues and rock than any guitar I've ever played. As I've attested before, the Les Paul is absolutely without equal when it comes to tone variety and stage presence. Hence the only perfect "10" in my score. The shape of the neck was a factor which I didn't pay close enough attention to when I eventually purchased this guitar. Being far younger, far more ignorant of playability and far more fixated upon aesthetics and tone, I neglected to consider features such as the neck and the body. The neck is a touch slimmer than your average Les Paul, but that hardly deters from the fact that it still feels as if you're playing a baseball bat, and not a guitar neck. Big open chords and blues riffs? Yes yes. Shredding? You'd better look elsewhere. I suppose that if you're into shred guitar, however, you're not likely to consider the Les Paul as your weapon of choice to begin with. I'm not attempting to discriminate against all you lovable shred-heads out there, but I think that both you and I know that a Jackson or Ibanez would be far better suited to your needs. The neck is such that this guitar is better suited for what it is stereotypically associated with (blues, country, rock), despite it's tonal variety and versatility. The second deterrent which I'd like to mention here is the body. While it would be totally impossible to attain such sustain, depth, and complexity of tone without that 3" thick mahogany slab, said slab also places an equally enthusiastic pain in your neck. Honestly. This guitar is a tank, and weighs about as much as one. Invest in a wide, comfortable (and possibly orthopedic) guitar strap. I'm sure you can get a prescription for that. The weight also makes it such that it isn't just YOUR neck that wants to point toward the floor; the neck of the Les Paul as a similar weight issue. For one reason or another, the neck is perpetually wanting to point down, and it must be held to prevent this from happening. I believe I've heard others having a similar problem. I've attempted playing with the length of the strap to no avail. Suggestions are welcome. Finally, and for all you intermediate guitarists out there looking to pick up a solid axe during these rough economic times, I'd like to discuss the price. The other day, I happened to walk into the local Musicstop to purchase a set of strings for my guitar. While I was there, I decided, simply for the fun of it, to have a look at what these guitars were retailing for. My jaw practically hit the floor when I saw the (Canadian) $815 price tag for the identical model I bought six years ago, baking dinner rolls at the local bakery, for $535. I'm aware that inflation and the laughable state of our economy has a miserable effect upon the pricing of musical instruments, but I'm still no less in shock. You'd think that at this price point that they'd be bathing the guitars in crude oil and including a complimentary puppy-fur case to go with. To me, this would have an entirely different effect upon my overall impression. Would I pay $600 for this guitar all over again? It's likely. Would I pay nearly 1000 for this guitar all over again? Highly doubtful. Unless I managed to unearth some cash that I wouldn't have otherwise had to put toward another one one these models, I couldn't possibly justify spending $815, plus Harper tax, plus case for this guitar for the amount that I use it. You may feel entirely differently, but that's why it's your job to post a review. The moral of the story? It's big, it's beautiful, and it's expensive. Kind of like the Ford Mustang of the guitar world; timeless, powerful, and iconic. The Les Paul isn't all that expensive when you consider that you certainly get every penny that you're paying for in quality, which is more than what I can say about many other guitars out there. But the "lower price point" Epiphone marketing strategy seems a touch outdated these days, and only applies in comparison to other Gibsons on the market. If you're an intermediate guitarist serious about getting a reliable, versatile instrument with a lot of personality, consider investing in an Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus. Be sure however, you try extensively before you buy. As reputable, beautiful and powerful as these guitars are, they certainly aren't for everyone. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: epimphone, on september 22, 2005

Features: This thing is amazing. I just got it today brand new off ebay. The paint on this thing is amazing. // 10

Sound: I play mostly punk, rock, metal, blues and other styles. I'm using a 15 watt practice amp that I'm gonna upgrade to Fender GDEC amp. On my amp, it sounds sort of like my Strat. But, u can tell a difference. The clean channel on this thing can put on sum real blues tones on the bridge pickup. Its relitively quiet all the time. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This paint is hard-core! Everything about the finish and action is like A+! It's a must buy guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can hold through like 100000 gigs. The hardware is fine and everything. I play this thing on my jazz band concerts for school it really fits that style. The finish, be sure to buy some polish and a soft cloth so it doesnt make swirls. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for jus about any genre. I've been playing for 4 months and people think I've been playing 2 years. I also own a crappy Squier Strat. If this thing gets stolen, I'm out of luck, I can't afford another one of these. I love the god darn finsish and the humbuckers on this although you can make em better. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2004

Features: - 2003 Les Paul from the China Epi factory - 22 frets - Great finish - 2 vol. 2 tone and a 3-way Switch - Classic Les Paul shape, identical to its Gibson counter-part - Tun-o-matic bridge - Grover tuners - No accessories but I managed to get a strap thrown in // 10

Sound: I play Hard-rock with a blues edge (influenced by Slash, Page and Clapton) and produces all the sounds I want. From rock distorted tones on the bridge p/u to great melodic solo's on the neck p/u with the tone turned down gives a great creamy tone. I always have the volume right up on the guitar, I use my Marshall's distortion and a Crybaby wah. Its a dream match. I love the way the guitar sounds. I can't fault it, Epiphone will never be as good as Gibson, but they're damn close. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action: excellent fit, excellent finish, amazing. I cant fault it, it felt great straight from the factory. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been gigged and played hard everytime. The finish has taken a few knocks but you couldnt tell this. Strap buttons havent budged in nearly a year n a half. I use other guitars in my set, but the LP is used most, and I have never had to put it down. // 10

Overall Impression: Flawless, sexy, great sounding. I'd only replace it with a real Gibson. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2007

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: OK. This is a Les Paul Standard Plus produced in October 2006. It was manufactured in China, though the manual says that the hardware was produced at Epiphone in Tennesse (Who knows for sure). It has 22 frets, solid mahogany neck and body, and extremely attractive birdseye maple top. It's a typical Les Paul body style with the cutaway to access the upper frets. The bridge style is also the standard Tune-O-Matic and the control switch is a 3-way switch between rhythm, treble, and middle. It has 2 Alnico Classic humbucker pickups. It also has Grover tuners. This guitar was purchased in Germany and is a much darker and richer Wine Red color than it's counterpart available in the US. It is a beautiful guitar to look at with literally no flaws and a simply flawless finish. // 10

Sound: The guitar suits my style beautifully. I lean towards classic rock and blues and this guitar compliments that area perfectly. My setup is very simple. I run my guitar through a DigiTech RP 250 multieffects pedal, utilizing effects such as the Arbiter Fuzz Face, Big Muff, MXR Dynacomp, Phase 90, and a handful of others. I play through a 100 watt Hughes And Kettner Tour Reverb amplifier. Actually, I normally just use the reverb effect on my amp because the Tour Reverb has an extrememly crisp reverb sound. The guitar is very tight and has a wonderful tone with incredible sustain and harmonics. The treble setting was a bit bright and the rythmn setting was a little deep and muffled upon arrival so I simply adjusted the pickups a bit and messed around with the switches until I got the proper tone to suit my taste. I would say that if you enjoy playing rock ranging from Guns N' Roses to Pink Floyd, this guitar is the way to go. It compliments blues and rock extremely well. Heavy metal is a question mark. Probably not the crunchy and overpowering action you are looking for. Then again, the proper pedals would most likely get you pretty close. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had no visual flaws upon arrival. The finish is perfect. The pickups were pretty close, I only adjusted them slightly to fit my taste. I changed the strings on arrival, opting for Ernie Ball Super Slinky's. The intonation was perfect and the bridge was properly set. I didn't have to touch it. I did raise the string height on the high E about a quarter turn because it rattled slightly at the 21st and 22nd fret. No big deal. This guitar was playable straight out of the box. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is slightly heavy and a very sturd piece of mahogany. I wouldn't think twice about playing gigs with it. It is extremely reliable and rarely goes out of tune. Of course, I would always have a backup. It doesn't matter what kind of guitar you have, things happen. The string buttons haven't loosened yet and I have never had to tighten them. This is a very solid and well built guitar. Beautiful to look at. // 10

Overall Impression: I wouldn't trade this guitar for anything. I have been playing for 20 years and have owned everything from a Fender Strat to a Gibson Les Paul and every knockoff in between. Hey, if you want you can go out and buy a Gibson and spend about a grand more. I recommend you go to your closest music store and compare the sound of the Gibson to the Epiphone. If you think the difference is worth a 1000 bucks (minimum), then buy yourself the Gibson. This guitar I got for 445 Euros, on sale from 700. For that price there is no better quality. And if you're still not convinced, don't forget that Epiphone originated the Les Paul and is today owned by Gibson. Same company, same hardware, same sound. Excellent instrument. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: jmac72187, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Music Shop

Features: The guitar was manufactured in 2005. I think that these are being manufactured in Korea, but I could be wrong. It has a set neck with 22 frets and the neck is 24.75" in scale. The top is laminated with flamed maple and it looks great. The body and neck are solid mahogany. The finish is amazing with out any flaws at all. The body is obviously a Les Paul style seeing as though it is a Les Paul. The bridge is normal Gibson Tune-O-Matic one. There are four control knobs. A tone and volume for each pickup. There is also a 3-way selector to choose which pickup to use. The pickup configuration consists of two Epiphone humbuckers. The tuners are Grovers and seems to stay in tune pretty well. I only have to tune it every few days. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of music mostly hardcore. But I am pretty new to the guitar world, so I will really play anything. I don't just stick to playing one genre. The guitar easily suits my musical style. I usually stick to the bridge pickup with the tone pot full. The neck pickup is louder and heavier than the bridge and I would probably only use this for metal. I play this through a Peavey Special 212 or through a Pod 2.0. I have not really experienced any noise at all with it except on high gain setting, I can hear the normal fingers on strings. With the tone pots on full, the sound is a little more bluesy. I only use them on full because otherwise it doesn't really suit my style. With the 2 humbuckers and tone pots, you can get pretty much any sound out of the guitar that you want. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came set up perfect. I did not have to adjust anything. The action was perfect. The pickups were also set up perfectly. I have no complaints about the factory set-up. The only flaw was that the output jack came loose easily, but one good tightening of the nut and it hasn't come loose since. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think that this guitar would easily withstand live playing. Actually, I have seen this used by bands that tour the US, Europe and Asia. All of the hardware was solid and seems like it would last. The strap button were very solid except that the bridge side of the guitar became stripped and loose after about 6 months. I just replaced it with Dunlop Strap Locks and it works great. I would definely bring it to a gig without a backup. It just feels solid all around and very durable. The finish is good enough to last for a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a good match for any style of music really. I play mostly rock and this works out great. I have been playing about a year and this is my first "real" guitar. My old one was a Fender Squier. If this were lost of stolen, I would buy another. Then I would find the person that stole it and knock em out. I love the whole feel of the guitar in general. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: zeppelinpage4, on august 10, 2006

Purchased from: local shop

Sound: This guitar will never compare to a true Gibson but it's great for the price. This Epiphone through my Vox AD30VT and Boss ds-1 are great for classic rock. The rhythm position gets a nice full heavy sound and the treble position is great for lead with a rich sound and gets a nice "crunchy" tone. I prefer the treble since the rhythm is just too noisy and gets too much feedback. Also the middle and rhythm positions sound the same. The alder core in the mahogany give a brighter sound compared to their Gibson counterparts. Overall it's a fairly versatile guitar. I got it in transparent amber. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up wasn't too bad the action was pretty good there was no fret buzz and the neck was great. The pickups needed a little adjustment, but once I had the guitar set up at my local shop the full potential of the sound and playability came out of it and it's very playable. Everything else on the guitar was fine from the start. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've accidentally hit walls and corners but I haven't even found a scratch. This guitar should easily be able to handle live playing it's very solid and I haven't had any problems with the durability yet. Except you need to be a little careful with the angled headstock. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a real upgrade from my squire Strat Pack and it really improves my overall sound. I spent a long time searching for a new guitar but I can honestly say this was one of the best in the price range the finish is great and I was amazed to see how great it looked. With a new pickup change I can see myself using this guitar for a long time. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: AdamDK, on december 27, 2006

Purchased from: Live N' Loud (Local Store_

Features: This guitar has everything you'd expect, 22 frets, Grove tuners, a flamed maple-top, and is made of mahogany. It also has a set neck. There is two volume knobs, and two tone knobs, a volume and tone knob for the neck and bridge humbuckers. Like your usual Les Paul, it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge. When I bought this it didn't come with a case, due to it being second hand (although if I amy say, mint condition). But that wasn't a problem, as I bought a hard case anyway. It's best to buy a hard case for the guitar because it keeps it safter than it staying on a stand or anything like that. // 9

Sound: I play various styles ranging from blues to hard rock to metal, and the Les Paul is perfect for me. With the avility of setting the volume and tone for each pickup, I can configure the guitar so I can play these various styles. I run this through a Kustom KGA10FX (With a Danelectro Fab Overdrive and Chorus, and Dunlop CryBaby Wah in the mix) and the sound is awesome. I never thought that the guitar would sound so good through my amp, but it does. This guitar is best for hard rock and metal. But the neck pickup is good for blues for a nice, fat tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfect for most styles. I got the guitar setup in the store, so it had the perfect action for me, but the action wasn't too bad anyway. I've found no flaws in the paint job, or any chips, etc where there shouldn't be, so this is pretty much perfect. The grove tuners are very smooth, and you can tune easily with them. And best of all, the finish is amazing. The flame cherry sunburst makes you drool because it is so good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar can easily withstand gigs, and is very reliable. I've never played any gigs, but I know that it could easily manage it. The strap locks are fine, the guitar shouldn't drop from your strap coming off. I wouldn't need a backup guitar if I played a gig because you can rely on this guitar easy. The finish hasn't came off or anything, so I'm guessing it's been a good job on it. // 10

Overall Impression: Simply fantastic! The guitar fits all my needs, and the styles I play, and has such a amazing sound. My favorite part of the guitar is the volume/tone knobs because you can be a lot more versatile being able to alter these for each pickup. The bad point about the guitar is how the neck joins the guitar around the 15th fret, which makes it harder to solo past that point, but apart from that, it's like a perfect guitar. I'd reccommend this guitar to any player of any style except shred, because of it doesn't have a tremolo bridge, or easy high fret access. If you look at the guitar, it screams "Pick me!" and if you did pick it, you know you haven't choose the wrong guitar. If the guitar got stolen, I'd track down the guy Who did it, and hang him, and if I couldn't find it, I'd buy a new one. This is definately a great addition for any guitarist. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Corman15, on august 13, 2007

Sound: The sound on this guitar is just amazing. I play mostly metal & neo-classical music so I do need a bright sound which is what this guitar has. This guitar also has a very rich, clean, warm sound. I am using a Korg AX3G signal modeling processor for effects, anf for an amp I use a crappy little practice amp. The amp it's self is no good for distortion, but for a nice warm clean sound it works amasingly. And when I hook up my AX3G, I can get any sound I want. No matter what sound you are looking for, look no further, the Les Paul will give you any sound you desire. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My Les Paul was set up amazingly. At all of the other stores I went to to try one out there was a minor problem (off-set knobs, and some minor scratches). But mine was set up perfectly, no dents, perfect knobs, perfect pick-ups. I don't know why so many people are making a big deal of the fact that these guitars are mostly made in asia. As far as I'm concerened there is nothing wrong with that. As a matter of fact, people in China & Korea have more to lose if they mess-up while assembleing, than workers in amercia do. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Of course this guitar will withstand Live playing, it's built like a tank. Nothing could go wrong with this guitar unless you smash in over a brick of metal or something, which I don't think any responsible Les Paul owner would do. All my hardware is amazing, the grover tuners will keep you in tune, while the tune-o-matic bridge will keep your strings in good shape durring adjustments. The only thing I am not very pleased with are the strap buttons, for the weight of this guitar vs. the thin strap buttons. Not good. But I bought my Les Paul knowing that, and I am going to go and buy my self some Dunlop strap locks this week, and put em on nice & tight. I have used my little brother's "wanna-be Strat" at a gig, what would make anyone possibly think I woulden't use this one with out a back-up. Honestly though, there is no need for a back-up when you have the Les Paul, you can get any sound, and again, these guitars are built like tanks. My finish is very thick. I was looking on buying a Gibson Les Paul, but I diden't like it as much finish wise. // 9

Overall Impression: The Les Paul matches any style of music, you are never going to listen to any genre of music (except rap & R&B) where there is nobody Who plays a Les Paul. The Les Paul matches every style of music. I have been playing for about a year, but I have been around & played guitars my whole life because my dad, and many other family members play. I have no regrets on buying this, I asked all I could and reserched for months on what guitar is right for me, and I found my match. If it were lost (which I don't think is possible with a finish as bright as mine) I would deffinetly buy a new one. But if it were stolen I would go as far as possible to get it back. I love evrything about this guitar, the shape, the finish, the playability ect. everything rocks! I hate nothing about this guitar, and don't see a reason to hate anything about it. My favorite feature is the fact that you can get any sound you want out of this guitar, and it is easy to. I have comapired many guitars with this one, gibsons, Jacksons, BC riches, ESPs. Many guitars. But none of those except the Epiphone Flying V were as good as the Les Paul. I was Actually just about to purchase the Flying V when my dad pointed out the Heritage Cherry Sunburst Les Paul that soon after Became mine. I am a big sucker for the finish on this guitar. It looks like it will last long too. I don't really wish It had anything else, but there Les Paul Floyd Rose bridges, but I'm fine with my tune-o-matic. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: slashnzakkrule, on february 18, 2008

Purchased from: Local Store

Features: This little beauty was hand crafted in China, in late 2006. It's got 22 Standard frets, a nice sooth, thin set rosewood neck that my hand just glides up and down, and nine trapezoid inlays. The body is a les paul shape, solid body, made of mahagony, with an absolutely beautiful flamed maple top. It's laminated top, but you can't really expect a solid top for 8-900 bucks! It has got a Tune-o-matic bridge, with Epiphone passive electronincs, which are basically American designed, made in China, copies of the Gibson 490r and 498t pickups. It has got 2 volume and 2 tone knobs and a three way selector Switch. It has six awesome grover tuners which stay in tune so well! It came with a moulded, hard case, a cleaning cloth and a nylon strap. All in all, a stunning guitar for the money! // 10

Sound: I mainly play hard rock, blues and flamenco (but I only play Flamenco on my Nylon strig Esteve) but I like to try as many styles as I can, and this les paul suits everything! If you are looking for the most versatile guitar on the planet, look no further than the Epiphone les paul. I have tried many Gibsons, and though this isn't as good, it comes close. I play it through a crappy Ibanez practise amp and a Marshall stack. It sounds phenomenal through both, giving a rich, fluid tone, but at the same time, being able to give a beautiful acoustic sparkle in a second. The only problem I have is that the pickups tend to hum and feedback at high volumes, but that doesn't matter, because the stock pickups are coming out, an two Seymour Duncan Alnico pro 2's are going in! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up great at the fctory, although the ation was pretty high. That was easily fixed though. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, the bridge was routed properly, and had no problems at all. The only thing was that the frets were really grimy, so I had to take the strings off, and ose some 000 grade steel wool to clean them off. Easily fixed, but I don't think that I should have had to do that! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily withstand live playing! The hardware is solid, and seems like it will last. I don't really know about the strap buttons, because the moment I bought the guitar, I took them off, and put on some strap locks, just to be safe! The finish is great, and should last a long time! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my hard rock+blues style perfectly, and is awesome for those crazy Slash solos. I have been playin two years, but I am quite good, and have a lot of experience, from fixing my friends guitars, and countless gigs. My other electric is an Ibanez GAX, and this guitar beats it by a country mile! If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again, or maybe go for it's Gibson counterpart. I just love the rich juicy tone, I just wish it had a whammy bar! The only slightly bad things are the pickups, but that'll be fixed soon! It's easily comparable to the Gibson LP, and is nearly as good! I chose this over the Gibson because it is narly as good for 2000 less! // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: miketrigs93, on december 01, 2008

Purchased from: ebay.co.uk

Features: Made in China, but god I wish everything made in china was this amazing! has 22 frets with a nice dark fretboard, solid wood body (which is surprisingly heavy actually), very good quality wood, and you can see it through the finish. Mine is translucent blue and the wood you can see through it is more than incredibly sexy. The wood is key, as far as I have heard for producing the Les Paul's massive rock sustain, and this Epiphone was no exception. The bridge is tunomatic and chrome coloured- easy to change strings on. It has 2 tone knobs and 2 volume knobs, one for each pickup and they're nice in changing sound and giving the les paul it's epic look. The same goes for the 3-way pickup selector. They're humbuckers and they're sweet too. The grover tuner's aren't too great, guitar seems to be out of tune after a bit, but it's not happened to me mid-song, which is good. In the box there was a nice poster, a cable, which was actually rubbish and doesn't work any more and an alen key, which I don't know what it's for. Would be nice if it came with a hard case but I can't be too picky. // 9

Sound: I like to play classic rock, alternative and britpop, and this guitar suits these perfectly. Playing on the bridge pickup you get an incredible rock sound that no single coil pickup, and nearly no other guitar (certainly for the price) can give you. I love the sound with a mild overdrive that my amp makes. My amp by the way is an HH sound (whatever that is) made in the mid sixties, and I don't think I'm getting as much out of the guitar as I could, but it still sounds amazing. Lovely warm sounds come from both humbuckers, but if you're looking for a more pop-ish Jimi Hendrix sound, the neck pickup may disappoint you since it doesn't have the treble and twang of a Strat's neck pickup. However, the tone controls of the guitar, along with a good amp will probably give you just about any sound you want. I play a bit of Metallica with a Digietech Hot Head distortion pedal, and the sound is amazing- really quite versatile sound wise, very good quality, and makes perfect classic rock sounds of Led Zeppelin or the monkeys, the Beatles- whatever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: No complaints at all, guitar had a perfect finish, perfect set up, incredible pickups. Only slight flaw is the strings seem to be a little bit high from the frets and I find myself pressing very hard to get them down. I am using Earnie Ball Regular Slinky strings and perhaps it's them, not the guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Amazing- heavy, sturdy, strap buttons are fine. I'd depend on it in a gig without backup without question. The finish is beautiful and wears off only when you knock it, although you should keep it in a case/bag and wipe it every so often with a cloth. I've had it for 5 months and it looks like it'll last me another 50 years. // 10

Overall Impression: Perfect match for my style. Incredible finish, incredible sound and amazing Les Paul look. It's my first electric- I was previously playing a copy of a Gibson Hummingbird, and it is amazing. I went around the shops trying stuff out, and I tried an array of Fender Strats, Squier Strats and Teles, and I've also played some Yamaha's and a Suzuki, but nothing could compare with the sound of this Epiphone. I used to think that Fender was the best guitar company, and I was going to get a Mexican Strat, but when for less money I coul get an Epiphone Les Paul Standard you really can't compare the two. It has unbeatable value for money, and sound that's only beatable by guitars costing double or more the price- INCREDIBLE. The only thing I can wish it had is a Gibson logo on the headstock and slightly better tuners. The shape, finish, sound, and value for money are unbeatable. Try ebay.co.uk or.com, you'll find one... seriously. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Capt_Clarkson, on may 12, 2011

Purchased from: DV247

Features: The guitar was build in 2010 and made in China, it has 22 frets in a set mahogany neck, and has a scale length of 24.75". The finish is something I was willing to spend extra money on after seeing the "Plus Top" flame maple finishes and the body binding in person as they looked great. It has a Standard stop bar tail piece and a tune-o-matic Bridge which does its job perfectly, even when doing heavy palm muting the Bridge still feels comfortable. The Grover tuners hold their tuning well, and it comes equiped with 2 passive Alnico Classic (HOTCH in Bridge and 57CH in the neck) Humbuckers. It came with a large Epiphone poster, owners manual, truss rod adjustment key and a amp/guitar cable. I would of hoped for a gig bag to be included seen as both Fender and some Ibanez's of this price range have them included. The Les Paul it not ment to have too many frills and extras as it as seen as more of a "work horse" instrument but saying that I still feel that it deserves a "7". // 7

Sound: I mainly play Hard-Rock, 80's Hair Metal, Metal-core and some blues, I was planning to buy a Gibson Studio Les Paul after borrowing my dads for a month to see if it could cover what I play and I wasnt disappointed, while picking out a Les Paul I thought of giving the Epiphone a chance and I was surprised by how similar the two sounded, I eventually picked the Epiphone due to it been so much cheaper yet sounding ALMOST as good. I run the Epi LP through a Boss ME-50 into a Blackstar HT-5, I only use the Boss for effects and use the Blackstar's own distortion so I dont lose any tube warmth. The guitar is completely silent, the only real problem I have is the stock pickups, they lack alot of mid range and dont distort (even lightly) too well without them sounding a bit muddy, I quite like the muddy sound of the neck pickup it gives it a strange thick sound for solo's but the Bridge sounds quite grubby. I would recomend replacing the pickups for a HUGE improvement in sound, but to be honest they arent nearly as bad as other "own brand" stock pickups I have tried in the past. The sustain this guitar holds it also very impressive, I feel that once I upgrade the pickups (JB in the bridge, 59 in the neck) the sustain will increase even futher. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar straight from the factory and the set-up pretty well, nothing too bad or great, it was usable but didnt make me feel impressed, the pickups were at a great height and sounded fine, but I adjusted them to my own personal preference. All the hardware was fitted perfectly and was obviously checked before leaving the factory. No damage to the finish either which was good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: After owning this guitar for a couple of months I noticed issues involving the pickup selector, when changing pickups there would be a drop in volume and tone, this turned out to be a faulty pickup selector (a common problem in Epiphones) this disappointed me as it was the only major problem I encountered. The strap buttons are fine, not had it slip off a strap yet, I planned on using this guitar as a work horse, for gigging and recording, so far it has survived well, not a single chip on it due to the nice multiple coated paint work, I jam with it constantly and when I go to choose one of my guitars I regularly pick this one. I do still worry about the pick up selector though, once I upgrade the pickups I will replace the whole electronics to avoid a similar occurence. // 7

Overall Impression: As said before I love playing Hard-Rock and Metal and this guitar is great for it, out of the other 6 guitars I currently own this is probably my favorite. Switching from a heavy power chord riff to a big meaty blues based solo there is no other guitar (that I own) I would rather use. The fair thing to do is to compare this guitar to its big brother the Gibson Les Paul, I can safely say that by buying this guitar and sticking two Gibson or Seymour Duncan humbuckers into it you will have a great guitar, one that would not only have a better finish on it but sound just as good as a Studio Gibson Les Paul, for much less cash. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Stcheeve, on january 21, 2013

Purchased from: Archambault

Features: The guitar was made in 2004. Features a fat neck for you fatty lovers out there, a pair of cool sounding pickups with a tone and volume for each one. I am a big fan of the Tune-O-Matic bridge! Very easy to set up, blablabla you know the drill there's hundreds of reviews down there reviewing the guitar features; all the same! Now it says "this field requires minimum 500 characters." I have nothing else to say about the features. The features are awesome. Need more characters... I bought the guitar with the black and yellow finish (forgot how it's called). It's a beauty. So I drank coffee this morning. Yes! No more characters needed! // 9

Sound: I play a lot of metal/hard rock (a lot of Metallica), and the guitar sounds awesome with a high gain amp. Note that I have set up my guitar for heavier strings (Power Slinkys), not a big fan of those extra thin strings that came with it. Seriously, on a gain amp, the difference with a pair of EMG 81/85 is surprisingly not that much of a difference! Clean sound could be better though. There was a time where I played Drop C and setted the guitar up with super heavy strings and it sounded super heavy, still sounds heavy in E or Eb. I play through a Roland Cube 30X mostly on the Rectifier amp setting. For the amount of money I spent, It sounds absolutely fantastic. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Sadly, the guitar was really badly set up from the factory. Being quite a beginner when I got it several years ago, I couldn't figure out why when I played an E or a G Chord it would sound awful (no I haven't changed string gauge at that time). Until I learned by myself to intonate it, fix the action and fix the truss rod. The action was perfect when I got it, but it was very badly intonated and the truss rod needed adjustment. I also set the pickups a little bit higher, but that's a matter of preference. It also kept in tune really really badly. I tightened the tuners so they are harder to turn and put a pair of heavier strings. Now it stays in tune nicely and don't need to retune after a song or some crazy bending. Just don't forget to stretch your fresh pair of strings and that constantly changing tuning (like I do) will make it harder to stay in tune. I guess that not every Epi Les Pauls out there are like that, but maybe the guy that set it up at the Epiphone factory wanted to go home faster and bungled the work. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I had the guitar for several years now, and it's still in one piece! One day, the stand on which the guitar was falled forward and the pickup switch snapped from the impact. Needed to go find an original switch and solder another one there. It was my fault obviously! The guitar also survived a 1 meter drop on asphalt which a chip on the body. That super heavy solid guitar will withstand live playing and the hardware will surely last. I would gig with it without a backup (already did) and I depend on it. The finish is good to last and hard to scratch. I also replaced the strap buttons with some Schaullers; I like every guitar I own to have the strap locked and secure. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will suit pretty much every style of music. From jazz to heavy modern metal without forgetting awesome pure and old Rock N' Roll. It sounds very heavy if you need to. You will also get a very nice jazz tone with it, without forgetting the awesome sustain (unlike a Fender Tele). I have been playing for now 5 years and counting. I have a Art & Lutherie acoustic guitar, an American Fender Telecaster Nashville B Bender, a classical guitar and this beauty. If it was stolen/lost I would definitely get myself another one. The only negative thing I could say about it is that I expected a "hotter" clean sound, but it's fine. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 29, 2004

Purchased from: guitartrader.com

Features: 2004 Chinese made, 22 frets, carved flamed maple top, 2v2t 3way, HH, Honeyburst finish (Beautiful!), Standard Les Paul features except for the flamed maple top and for some reason mine came with chrome grover tuners which is so awesome since I thought it came with standard Epi tuners. Came with warranty and cable. // 10

Sound: I play punk, grunge, new rock, rap rock, classic rock, you get the idea. This thing sounds perfect for anything from Rage Against The Machine/Audioslave, Blink-182, or The Beatles to Led Zepplin or Linkin Park. I am an Epiphone fanatic so I use an Epi stereo chorus amp (which is awesome too go buy it for $200), a cry baby, Boss DS1, my amp chorus, Ibanez chorus/flanger tonelok, DOD Grunge, Dano Tunamelt Tremolo. They all sound incredible with this axe. Well they're all great pedals anyway they rock with my other Epis and my fenders too. This LP sounds perfect! Rich, full, bright, thick, it can do it all. No wonder Les Pauls are the most popular guitars ever. Strats blow, and Gibsons are exactly the same as Epi's except they have better pups which can be easily fixed. However these pups sound incredible. I feel like I won the lottery for budget guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in the box set up perfectly except the neck pup needed to be raised quite a bit but that was just a turn of a screwdriver and BAM no prob. The top was perfectly and beautifully finished and bookmatched. Honeyburst is gorgeus! Not a single flaw on the thing - standard epi quality. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is so solid (unlike any Fender I've touched) It should withstand anything you can throw at it. Very solid and a bit lighter that the regular LP standards so it is very easy to gig with. No backups needed unless you're paranoid or use different guitars for different songs or tunings. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for nearly 10 years and I own 5 other Epi's- DOT, Supernova, Riviera, Casino, and acoustic PR-350CE. They are all excellent guitars. Compare them to Gibson - Epi is the BEST value. Even if I could afford a Gibson I wouldn't buy one I would buy 3 Epi's instead because they're better value and equal quality- plus most Epi's SAY Ggibson on the headstock. I also have a Fender Jaguar and Jag-Stang. They're OK If you play a Strat you don't know what you're missing. Drop that POS (unless its a highway Fat Strat) and buy an Epi they are made better and sound better. Get a hollowbody Casino (that's my favorite guitar ever) or an LP. Get the LP Plus if you can. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: bolton69, on june 16, 2004

Purchased from: hammersound

Features: Not too sure bout the year ppl but it was made in Korea? Lol well see I decided to get this becuase I'm jst not rich enough to buy I real Gibson, it's got 22 frets which is a let down, this baby is laminated top, it got the usual 3 way pickup selector, not too sure bout the pickup config but there standard Epiphone pickups and theres 2 of the buggers, as usual the whole guitar (other than the metal parts!) Are made of a grade A mahogany, its hard to explain the finish on this all I can say is if u look at Slash's Les Paul in the vid for Sweet Child, its that colour. Its cut away like the decent Les Paul's, non-lockin Epiphone tuners with the neck it is reasuringly thick and heavy, got a gig bag wit it but that was it. // 8

Sound: The sound out of it is quite good but not amazin for my style of music it is good coz im into grunge (grunge is not dead), I stick into my amp via a distortion pedal coz thats all I need, don't need none of this digi-tech pedal crap. It can be very scratchy if you know wot I mean wen it comes to stickin it on the distortion pedal and on treble (and ure gonna think wot a c--k of course it will, I know it will but this is more than usual.) The Les Has quite a rich sound from it though wen you playin melow tunes. Theres not much variety with the sounds u can make with it most unfortunately fo all you effects fiends out there. I personally love this guitar but it could do with some extra add-ons (like a fikken whammy bar). // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: To kinda sum this section up these guitars don't come from the warehouse with anythin wrong with them, the guitar was perfect the neck is nicely set into the body jst far enough for it to be comftable to reach the 22nd fret. There is only one upset, you have your pick-up selector see and theres rightin on it now this rubbs off really easy so be careful round it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You will get this guitar with a scratch plate if you take it off your'e not gonna scratch the surface, this surface is so very resiliant it aint gonna chip easy either. I've played this at a gig recently and I didn't take a back up and it was fine no problems what so ever. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this is that if you want a guitar that is gonna satisfy your grunge guitarist needs then this is the kiddie for you. If this got stolen I would hunt the bugger down and kill him slowly with a spoon, if I lost this I would buy another one. Theres is one thing I hate bout this guitar. Its too damn heavy. When I was buyin this guitar it was either this or a Vintage SG I chose this because it's not as top heavy as an SG. There you go folks I would advise this as a good buy. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: EnEnSy-Brad, on august 13, 2004

Features: This is my first review, so be gentle. I bought this second hand because I didn't have enough for a new one. I think it is a 1998 model but I could be wrong. The fretboard is rosewood and its got 22 frets with them cool block style fret markers. The guitar itself is made from mahogany and it has quilted kind of honeyburst paint job. The neck is rosewood but I could be wrong. Well the title is 'Epiphone Les Paul' so its not to hard to work out the body style. The bridge is a stop tail bridge and looks mint. I think it has active electronics. Theres 1 volume and 3 controls knobs near the bridge and a 3-way Switch selector near the first humbucker. I have no idea on what make the pick-ups and the tuners (non-locking) are. They're probly just the ones that come with the guitar from the factory. But its second hand so I could be very wrong. I didn't get any accessories with it all cos I already have the basic stuff. // 8

Sound: I think this guitar suits any music style, but I think it best suits my style hard rock meets punk rock. I have a Peavey Backstage 50 but I don't have any effects becuase I think you should be able to get your guitar good with out using effects. The humbuckers don't really suit the clean channel which doesn't bother me cos I'm a distortion addict. I'll even use metallica sounding distortion on Red Hot Chili Peppers songs! The guitar to me has enogh variety of sound cos I usually only use sound sounds boring but its not. For others it may not have enough variety because it only has a 3-way Switch selctor. If you like playing about with a few tones, this guitar's for you. If your so bothered about having a loud of tones, save your money and go buy some effects pedals. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up really well and the action is great. Everything is in perfect position. But because its second hand, 2 of the controls knobs were chipped but I got them replaced. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would clear up any gig, any time, any place. The hardware is in perfect condition and I think it will last ages. The strap buttons are solidly fixed. I trust them not to drop my precious. In fact I trust them so much I would hold my guitar over a building by the strap. I would never bring a back up guitar couse at the moment were doing contests limited to a 3 song set. I'm 13 well 14 soon, but if we ever did a 18 song set it wouldn't matter, this guitarwould stand a 1000 song set without failing on me. The finish is unbeliveable. It won't budge. I put a sticker on it, I couldn't get it off. When I did not even a bit of the polish had come off. If the paint eventually came of I would definately get it refinished. // 10

Overall Impression: The 'Les Paul' will suit any stlye of music, so you be a shity Mcfly player or be a hard rocking stadium killer like Metallica. I play hard rock/punk rock and I couldn't wish for a better match. If you find one let me know at SHANEMCARDLE@aol.com (he's my dad). I've been playing since I was 11 (Don't be fooled by my lack of experience. If you heard me play you'd think I've playing for years. Thats what my bass player thought when he first heard me.) I used to own a starmaker Strat(quier)and a weststone thunder one(completely wrecked.) At the moment I own a Peavey Backstage 50 amp and a Peavey lead (don't get one, there crap.) When I was in the shop I asked every question possible. I wanted the right guitar for me. If someone stole it I would definatley buy a new one straight away. I love this guitar. The only thing bad is when the you get to the 16th fret the neck widens making it harder for you to play your Metallica solos. If I had a signiture model(life goal)I would have it join the body later on so I have easier reach to the higher frets. My favorite feature is probly the H/H set up because it gives you that real rock tone. When I trying them out I compared it to: Prs Tremonti, Epiphone ES-335 studio, Ibanez sa-120 etc. I chose this guitar because the others didn't really have the punch I was looking for. I wish it had a thinner neck at the 16th fret for easier reach to the higher frets. If you need a new guitar, love rock, love personnel tone, this guitar is for you. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: beaky28, on march 01, 2005

Features: 22 frets, H-H pups, mahogany/alder body, flamed maple top, cherry sunburst finish, Tune-o-matic bridge, grover tuners, cream pickguard. // 10

Sound: I play mostly metal, punk, and anything between. However, I didn't want a guitar just for that, as I do play a wide variety of styles at times. I feel that this guitar does deliver for this. I play my Les Paul through a Marshall DSL40 (all valve). On clean, the bridge pickup tends to make a little natural distortion when played hard, which can be nice. On the neck pickup, it is very clean, and sounds beautiful. With moderate overdrive the bridge pickup has a really nice bite to it, and when on the neck pickup it sounds really fat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first received the guitar it had a bit of fret buzz. I took it to the shop to get set up, and when I got it back it was horrible. Super high action, intonation was out, etc. So I set it up myself, and it now plays nicely. I love the finish, the flame cherry sunburst looks so sexy. But there is a couple of flaws with the guitar but what would you expect from an Epi. The tailpiece has a couple of minute dents in it, no biggie. There is some traces of glue around the inlays, no biggie either. My biggest issue with it is the frets. Some of the frets look like they aren't stuck in very well, at the ends they arent very flush with the fretboard. But it hasn't really been an issue yet, and I hope it won't be. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would (and will) definatly use this guitar live, it seems pretty solid. I have installed StrapLoks on it, and am now quite comfortable using it as my only guitar. I never play live without a backup, what if I break a string? I am really hoping the finish lasts, it's too beautiful to dissappear. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar, I would reccommend it as a step up from a starter guitar to anyone, or as a backup for an experienced player with a Gibson Les Paul that wants a backup. Basically my favourite features are it's looks and it's sound. If it were stolen I would claim insurance, and say it was a Gibson (yeah right) I would buy another if the need presented itself. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 12, 2005

Features: Hi, my LP Plus was made early '05 and was made in Korea. It's got 22 frets, which are dam useful for awesome solos, like the november rain outro (Slash the man). Also the neck isn't fat and chubby, but it's not slimline; think of it slightly deeper than a Squier Strat. The top is laminated and has a beautiful translucent wood grain effect on it. Cos its the plus the body is solid mahoghany and so is the neck. The guitar is finished in Heritage cherry sunburst, which in my opinion is just friggin beautiful, and the bridge is a Tune-O-Matic - good for adjusting to whatever I want. It's also got a treble and rhythm selector on it, which with the variabl tone nobs give a great range of sound. The pickups are 1959 PAFs, the same one that Zack Wylde uses on his LP, these are mucher better the the Alnico's supplied originally, since they give a warmer, richer sound. The tuners are non-locking and are metal grovers, which I personally reckon are higher quality than the plastic ones on a standard les paul. I got no accessories with my guitar, but it was packaged as if it would survive a bomb blast. // 10

Sound: The available range of tones on the guitar suit me quite well, as I play a lot of GN'R, AC/DC, Led Zep, Thin Lizzy, basically any older rock. I use it with a 50W Darburn universal amp; makes it sounds very warm and rich, especially on treble. The guitar has no unwanted noise, such as scratchiness, and the sound is just beautifully rich and warm. its also a nice full sound, so it doesn't sound like some crappy sciffty waste of time. The main two sounds of the guitar are a rhythm and a treble, the treble is nice rich twang and rhythm is nice and full for playin some chords. When you really turn it up on the treble you can get a bit of distortion too. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar had been altered before I bought it, so the setup had been changed for optimum performance - i.e. the bridge and the internal electronics had been changed to sound its possible best. The pickups had been changed to 1959 PAFs, which are much better than the alnico's (see above). Surprising as this may seem, the guitar contains absolutely no flaws whatsoever. The finish is perfect, there's no sign of substandard joining, no loose parts, the bridge and nut are very sturdy, the pickups have a good connection as they give a clean sound and the metal hardware is in perfect condition. The fit and finish is absolutely superb, with no blemishes whatsoever. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged this guitar yet, but am thinking of doing so, as it is such a comfortable and easy guitar to play. I would have no problems playing this beauty for a couple of hours non-stop. The hardware certainly seems like it will last, as they're all very secure in place and with no sign of damage. The strap buttons are giong nowhere and just to make sure my strap never comes off, I've put a couple of groltsch red seals over the strap. This locks the strap on amazingly tight and never lets it go. I would certainly trust this guitar enough not to have a replacement to hand if I gigged, due to the excellent craftmanship of the guitar. The finish is by no means a bodged job. I can tell that there have been many coats of finish applied and there are no signs at all of it wearing away. // 10

Overall Impression: The Les Paul Plus is quite a good match to my style, I would like it if it had natural distortion, but I'm getting a an effects pedal, so I'm not fussed too much. I've been playing for 5 years on a Squier Standard Strat and decided to go for something new. I've also got an applause round-backed semi-acoustic which is really comfortable to play as well. God forbid if the guitar was stolen, I'd probably try to get the same one again due to it being very easy and comfortable to play. I love the sound that it gives out, the excellent craftmanship on it and how smooth it feels to play, not like some other nasty guitars I've played which had a kind of 'hard-edged' feel about them. Probably my favourite feature about the guitar is the beautiful finish it has. the Heritage cherry sunburst is just so nice to look at, it's such an amazing aesthetic. I did look at some standard Epiphone Les Pauls but the plus model was just a higher quality guitar in my opinion, due to the solid mahoghany neck and body and also the metal grovers. The only wish I have for it is for it to have a classic Gary Moore distortion to it. But hey, still an amazing guitar! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants a relatively cheaper guitar and is not only into soloing but also a lot of chord play, as the les paul is very adaptable to different kinds of play. Go buy one now! // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Kizashmir, on july 15, 2005

Features: The guitar was made in early 2004 in china. It has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard. It has a laminated top. It has a carved flame maple top. The body is made of mahogany/alder. The color is Heritage cherry sunburst. It came with a Tune-O-Matic bridge and a stopbar tailpiece. It has passive electronics, all made by Epiphone. It came with 2 volume and 2 tone control pots and a 3-way Switch selector. Pickup configuration is 2 humbuckers, like most les pauls, made by Epiphone. It came with chrome grover tuners. Mine came with a SKB molded hardshell case. // 10

Sound: This guitar somewhat suits my music style which is mostly metal and Hard Rock. I use a Line 6 Spider II 15 watt amplifier with a Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah Pedal. The pickups are relatively quiet and produce a real muffled sound, the bridge pickup most of the time though. The neck pickup is real good for blues music, and the treble pickup is good for hard rock, it is just too muffled and bright. It has a wide variety of sound from Heavy metal to classical stuff. I was not very happy with the pickups at first, so I switched mine with a pair of EMG's (81/85). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came out absolutely perfect, the action has not changed at all. All the hardware was routed perfectly and had no flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could last longer than fort knox, I have been out in 90+ degree weather and the paint has not worn off or even shown wear. The strap buttons originally did not work well, especially when I wanted to play like Zakk Wylde, so I had them switched with all parts strap knobs. I would like to play other guitars on stage, but this would be my main one. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match for my metal playing style, the 22 frets (Kirk Hammett bends (22^24)), the Tune-O-Matic bridge (palm muting). I have been playing only for about a year now and this guitar has made me much better. If this was stolen I would most likely go for another one. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Slash_Epiphone, on october 12, 2005

Features: I recently purchase this axe at Guitar Workshop located in Bras Basah Centre in Singapore. I'm a singaporean. Mine is a Vintage Sunbrust finish, Tune-O-Matic with stock pick ups. It was in mint condtion when I bought it. It's new. // 10

Sound: The guitar is a monster. In a good way of cousre. It suits any kind of music. You name it, it has it. This guitar versatile. Not nosiy and has a warm tone to it. Noise free. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was just nice. The pickups were adjusted at the shop as the 20 note could not be played as the height of the pickup was high. The guitar was flawless only for the Switch. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live play, auditions and any gigs. The only down side to the guitar is the Switch. It will return to the middle selection which is irritain. The strap buttons are great but if you love to play with the guitar in the air and more of a animated player, my advised is get a DiMarzio cliplock strap like I did. No worry about the finish. It's impeccable. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly Guns N' Roses, rock, punk-pop, pop rock and this baby nails it. I've been playing for almost a year and a half. I own a Yamaha GA10. A small not so crappy amp but if you wanna gig, this amp is not good but the Epi LP makes it sound wonders. If this guitar was stolen, I would probaly get it agian of get a Epi LP custom or a PRS Singlecut which is discontinued. Best part of the guitar is the sound. Worst part is the toggle Switch. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 26, 2005

Features: This bueaty was made in May 2004 in Korea! It has 22 frets Rosewood and its a solid top guitar. The body material is mahogany/alder and the neck's material is Mahogany. This material gives a nice sound. Flametop Maple in Heritage Cherry Sunburst (very nice). Obviosuly its body style is exact of a Gibson Les Paul. It has Tune-O-Matic bridge like all Les Pauls! And has 2-volume and 2-tone controls, a 3 way selector with 2 Epiphone humbucker, in general the Neck Pickups sounds like the Gibson 490R and the Bridge Pickup sounds like the Gibson 498T! This Les Paul came out with Grover Machineheads and not as the other Les Pauls 'cause they have Vintage tuners. // 9

Sound: Well I play rock music in general except death metal, black metal, nu-metal and other rock music like these. I almost play classic rock, grunge, punk rock, power metal like Iron Maiden, Nirvana, Sound Garden, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Kiss, Weezer etc. I use only a practice amp a Roland Cube 15 altough its very good indeed for me its the best 15watts amp in the world! Settings: treble: 10, middle: 3 and bass: 0, gain 5 with distortion. I don't use any pedals or effects! Well the guitar have a good sound there's better but I like it and very good pickups but in future I will change them for sure maybe a 57 classic and an Angus Young Signutare humbucker! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well the guitar was great when I bought it the only two things I needed to change was the Strings that were replaced by Ernie Ball RPS9 Super Slinky and the action, I had to lower it a bit but in general it was playable! In my opinion they were good the difirence in sound between them was contrasting so I had what I wanted it can growl with distortion and crystal clear highs with Clean sound! It was perfect excpet that action thing. Never loose tune in a short time. maybe after 20 hours of playing looses tune but very slightly. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes I think it will withstand live playing, I'm very positive about this guitar. I think it is durable for 10 years for sure if you keep it safe and obviously love it and take care of it otherwise no! The hardware is in good conditions till now. Yes this a problem I had about 2 days ago the strap buttons were loose much of the time but I fixed it with a match int the hole and till now it seems perfect. Well in gig obviously you need a backup but 80% of the probabilty it will go well I think! The finish is protected by a scratch plate or a pickguard and there's no scratches on my Les Paul! // 9

Overall Impression: With my style of music, classic rock etc. it matches perfectly! I've been playing for about 2 years now and started with an acoustic guitar and ended with this bueaty about 5 months now! No nothing I asked before! Well if I will loose it I think I'll buy a a Gibson SG any version but I prefer the Angus Young model or the Standard! I love the classic model of the Les Paul and its quality and that many favourite artists use it. The only thing I complain about it is that its heavy and difficult to carry outsides but rarely had pain in the back because of it! My favourite feature about this guitar is its good looking because its a real bueaty. there's no other guitar nice as the Les Paul! I compared it to other product that respected my budget of $840 but I thought this was the best I found with that price and it merits a higher price for its quality! I wish it had Vintage tulip nickel machineheads like the Ace Frehely Les Paul, and a Vintage type neck like the "G-400 Vintage" Neck and a more lighter body! but I love it! // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2006

Purchased from: Richmond Music

Features: 2005, made in Karea. 22 frets, jumbo rosewood. Nice laminated top, similar to Jimmy Page custom burst. Chrome Tune-O-Matic bridge, everything stays in tune cept the G string, but once I put new strings on its fine. Standard pickups, but hoping to but bursts or '57 classics on it. Came with nice grover tuners and a strap. // 7

Sound: Perfect for what I play. Nice with clean tone, specially the rhythm. With distortion its perfect, definately Les Paul through a Marshall amp is the Stairway to perfect classic rock tones. Great variety. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Very nice at the factory. Some white paint spots near the bottom, but easily removed with a wet cloth. The pickups were quite low, but after raising them they sound great. The only flaw I've found is the nut is very poorly cut on the G string, which is only a minor problem. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely will survive live playing, but my shoulder wouldn't. The problem is the Les Paul is so heavy you need a nice thick and medium texture strap, unless your shoulder's made of steel. The hardware seems to be slowly getting quiter, but the pickups are pretty junky so ill most likely get new ones. The strap buttons are nice, but the soft straps usually become loose when playing after a while and tend to snap off, but I've not dropped it once. The finish is great, and doesn't seem to wear at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock, but occasionly some Beatles and other non-distorted tunes, so its great for anything. Mostly used my dads '72 Gibson Blueridge, but I wanted a les paul, so I got a nice color. I wish I new the pickups weren't good. If it was lost or stolen I wouldn't buy another one, id save up to get a Gibson studio, which I'm currently doing, or get a cheap SG. I love the color, and the wood quality exceeds my friends' les pauls! I compared it to a Casino and a Strat, and the Casino was great for clean like Beatles, duh, but the LP is great Zeppelin, which I love. I really wish it came with a hardcase or better pickups, but overall its good for an intermediate guitar. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 17, 2006

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: It was made in 2004, made in Korea. It has 22 frets, the neck is not as thick as other Les Pauls (Rosewood I believe). The cherry sunburst finish is just beautiful. Has one cut away on the body, passive pickups are in this, Mine came with Alnico V "Epiphone USA" humbuckers. Tuners were grovers, they stay in tune for months and months. Came with a cruddy black patch cord. // 9

Sound: Yeah this thing can handle basically any type of music. I play rock, blues, metal, classical it fits them all very well, especially the blues. I'm running it through a Traynor YCV50 Blue all tube amplifier, with no pedals. And this astounded me. When the tube amp was cranked, and I didnt play for a while, no feedback whatsoever! Even on the OD channel! It starts to feedback a little bit once the solo boost is kicked in but thats it. It has really bright sound on the bridge pickup, and the neck pick up give an amazing santana/slash sound. But this is with a good tube amp. I used to have a solid state amp and the guitar sounded good but not nearly as clear. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came with the sction a little bit too high, but the store fixed that for me no problem. Pick ups were fine from the beginning. No flaws whatsoever, except for the fretboard, it had little white specks from the paint job, that was easily cleaned off though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a beast. In the beginning when I played with a strap it used to hurt my neck. But you get used to it fast. The hardware Will last many years to come. The strap buttons pissed me off in the beginning though, they were so small that I had to exchange them for strap locks but, now I can jump around and junk, and it wont fall off. I've used this guitar for many gigs now, and it has never failed, no backup needed. // 10

Overall Impression: Crazy sweet guitar, I've been playing for 2 years, and this guitar is so weel suited to a dude like me. I love the look, I hate how if I take the pickguard off I'm afriad it'l get scratched (but thats 'cause I love it so much). But my main problem is how the pick up covers are so hard to take off, everytime I play I get finger prints on the covers and I'm sick of cleaning them, so I wish I could just take them off. But this problem applies to all guitars with humbucker covers. If this guitar was stolen, I'd cry in my room for sevral days, then I'd buy a lot of knives. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 22, 2006

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade - Burlington

Sound: This guitar has been great for everything that I can throw at it. I play the most varied styles of music from punk to new-rock to classic rock, to metal and jazz and the list goes on. Through it all, my les paul stays sounding smooth and perfect for the occasion. I admit that I am currently "between" amps, having had a tiny Fender Frontman and now looking for a Marshall MG model. My old amp didn't have many effects but my time spent in the store trying this baby out on a giant Marshall amp where amazing. Every sound is perfect and I couldn't imagine anyone spending the extra $2000 to have Gibson on the Headstock instead of Epiphone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was near perfect when I got it. Only slight buzz on some of the frets on the 5th and 6th strings but hard ly noticable at all. My one big complaint was that when I got my guitar out at home I noticed taht the plastic casng for the pickups had been roughed up around the corners. Again only a minor thing but it still was a bit of a shock to find. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I baby all of my things and am always afraid of breaking them but just from the feel of this thing I think it would last through the wars. It feels so solid and everything looks to be well made and put together. If I ever was to do gigs I certainly don't think I'd need a backup, but thats also because I probably wouldn't be able to afford one. The finish on this guitar has stayed well and doesn't seem to be showing any scratches. The only thing that would show that this guitar has been used would be fingerprints, of which there are many because of the laminated finish, and of scratches on the pickguard which is to be expected. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of music and it fits every genre perfectly. I focus more on classic rock now and it is absolutely perfect for it. I'm looking to maybe move more into metal and I'm sure it would do fine for that too but I am consdering getting a Jackson that I could devote solely to metal. Right now I have my Les Paul and my tiny Fender amp but I'm looking for a new Marshall amp and possibly as I said a Jackson axe. If this was stolen I'd cry and then probably buy a new one. Depending on which way I go with my music, metal or classic rock, I might consider a different guitar, probably that Jackson, but if I stick with the rock there would be no question. I honestly can't find anything to hate about it and love it more and more as I get to play it and see all of the great things it can do. The only thing that I wish it had was a tremelo, something that I never really appreciated on my Fender until I had traded it in for this. Overall this is a great guitar and certainly a great choice for up and comign musicians like myself. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: jamierulesworld, on june 19, 2006

Purchased from: Music Central - Isle of Wight

Features: OK, it has a solid mahogany body with a maple cap and flamed maple veneer. It also has a set mahogany neck. There's 2 chrome covered humbuckers and a chrome ABR-1 Tune-O-Matic bridge. 2 volume knobs, 2 tones, 3-way selector. Cream hardware. It's all true to a Gibson. // 10

Sound: I play blues and rock mainly, and it holds up to practically anything I throw at it. I play it through a Marshall MG15CDR, which is crap, but it still manages to sound good, feedback only happens when I want it to. Chunky bottom end, mids are a bit shaky, but a new set of pickups will sort this out. I recommend '57 Classics. The high end is beatiful though, by far the clearest, singing tone I've ever seen on a guitar of this price. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had no problems whatsoever with action or anything of the sort, it came perfect! Not sure whether it was Epiphone or Music Central that did that though. The finish is thick, to say the least. It will last! It could be a bit thinner though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Hell yeah! This thing was built for gigging. You could drag this thing down the M27 on the back of your VW Bus and it would still be playable! I would gig it without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: It suits practically any sort of music, so buy one! I've been playing about 2 years. The only problem I see with it is mainly the weight. I'm not sure how heavy it is, but it's a fair ol' heft, even for a Les Paul. If it were lost or stolen, I would probably opt for a Fender Classic series Strat or something else for a change, but I still like this guitar. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: spunkeymonkey36, on july 03, 2006

Features: This guitars features open coil pick ups, a decent set of grover tuners and mahogany solid body. The neck alos has 21 frets. I have to say I am very impressed with all the features. The mahogony body gives it added tone and the tuners keep the guitar in tune well and can be adjusted very finely. The angled shape of the neck is more comfortable and easier to play then a Stratocaster stlye body. // 10

Sound: Overall the sound is very good. A wide range of sounds can be made from blues to metal. This guitar is good for playing Guns N' Roses and Aerosmith, where a lot of lead work is needed. What makes it a good lead guitar is that it can easily be made to scream and hold notes for a long time. My only improvement for the pickups would be that they are not and toneful as they could be, and can sometimes sound a little thin and hollow. This is especially noticable when the overdrive is turn up. The pickup selector can also be a little noisy. Playing power chords on the classic can also sound muddy, especially when playing fast riffs. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar manages to get higher if continually played and often needs adjusting. This makes playing solos on this model a lot slower than it could be. Even so, this is a mighty fast guitar. The only other thing I could critisize about this guitar is that playing near the headstock becomes increasing difficult, as the strings become almost unbendable. The finish is beautiful on this guitar and the neck is very smooth. The chrome hardware generally performs well and is very adjustable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could easily withstand a live event. It is very solid and the pickups (though not the best) are very reliable. The strings wear quickly and need to be be replaced often but this is only expected if you are a serious player and play for hours on end. I would also always use a backup guitar on stage, even if I owned a real Gibson anyway. The only thing I can warn you about this guitar is that a locking guitar strap should be used. You may find occaisonally that a normal strap will slip of, especially when pretending to be Slash. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is and excellent guitar and would recommend buying one if you are a serious player and cannot afford a real Gibson les paul (I cannot for one). I would also always choose a les paul over a Stratocaster when performing lead work as well, simply because it sounds better and looks cooler and is more comfortable. However I would replace the pickups with some emgs and maybe replace some o the hardware. I believe by making these changes you could be owning a Gibson at half the price. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: tristan123/, on september 11, 2006

Purchased from: local strore

Features: This beautiful HCS Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus, was made in 2005, china.Despite some people preferring the korean made ones, the quality of this is exceptional. Has 22 trapezoid crown frets and inlays, with a 24.75" scale length. Chunky, comfortable rosewood neck, with an amazing flamed maple top. The body is solid mahogany with maple veneer on top. Tune-O-Matic bridgestyle and passive dual humbuckers("Hot" and "57" for neck and bridge)2 tone, 2 vol. for both p'ups. 3-way pickup selectjr, the pickups are standard hmbucker Epiphone ones I think. Nice chrome, grover tuners. // 9

Sound: I play rock/hard/classic rock the most(AC/DC, GN'R, Led Zepplin, Deff Leppard, Black Sabbath and Sex Pistols) with some metal and blues thrown in. This guitar suits my style very well, gives a bright, fat, heavy tone at the bridge pickup, ideal for rock/metal. The neck pickup is very bassy, good for a lot of blues. All-round rich rockin sound, makes very little noise unless on high-gain settings then there's quite a bit of feedback. I usemy Marshall G15RCD practice amp, which actually sounds like an amp now I have replaced my Behringer V-Tone with this (imagine what it wil sound like oce I have a Vox AD50VT). I believe this guitar is good for any time of music without a whammy bar. Very versatile, although synominous for the LP/rock 'n' roll tone. This really is the closest ur gonna get without paying thousands! I persnally think the stock pickups are great, but if you have to change them, you'll have a great instrument either way! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Fortunately, the shop had set the guitar up perfectly(which is why you shouldn't really buy off the net); the action is about 2mm max above 12th fret(low, perfect for my rock/metal), no paint flaws or anything. No glue marks, damage or faulty controls. Setup great. Only thing I could possibly complain about is that the tuners are slack, but easilytightened. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would 100% trust this at a gig, although I haven't had any I would definately use it. The chrome hardware looks durable, won'ttarnish unless abused. I haven't had any strap button problems but only had a week, they seem tight enough. The finish has a thick glossy maple veneer, which will last years, providing (like all instruments) it's regularly polished etc. Built like a tank, definately gig ready. A 10 so far. // 10

Overall Impression: As metioned perfect for thse Who want a classic or modern rock tone, and an overall quality guitar for the money. I've been playing 1 year. Other than this I have a Behringer V-Tone, which as soon as I picked this up, was worth no more than a rotten egg. The difference in quality of both sound, and playabilty is instantly seen. If this was stolen I would literally go into an epileptic fit, and hide away for most of my life then buy it again! I love the fact for the money youhave outstanding build quality and a real lp like tone. Obviously it doesn't have a tremelo, and isn'te "real" Lp otherwise I love it. I wish it had a label on it saying "whoever thinks that Epi's are crap, they will be put out of their misery". Honestly you won'tbe dissapointed, get new pickups if you have to. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 06, 2006

Purchased from: The Roadhouse Boston

Features: I'm not sure when it was made or where it was made, but I don't really care. It has a 22 rosewod fret finger board. it has a flame maple top, grover tuners and has a herritage cherry sunburst colour. Has a neck tone and volume and a bridge tone and volume with a 3-way selector. It came with standard pickups and had a Gibson logo plate at the top instead of it saying Les Paul. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of differient styles of music as I study music at college, so I have to reach into many genres. I mainly play metal, punk, rock and blues. It's great for playing everything, I have it hooked up to a Marshall AVT100 and it's sound awesome on it. It has a bone crushing metal/rock sound on OD2 and a great nu-metal/punk sound on OD1. It's great for getting them Slash lead sounds and crazy hendrix sounds. I put some EMG's in and it really improves the tone and can make the sound a lot more heavier. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar it had a few flaws, the strap locks we're really loose and they still come off time to time due to the size of the hole inside. The G tuning peg is very poor, it becomes very loose and gets thrown out of tune. The electronics once whent with the standard pickups from a small knock. The nut has been re-fitted with an object which looks like it doesnt't even come from a les paul and the cable input can sometimes unscrew it self and lose some sound. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great when playing Live but there are a few problems with it. The strap buttons are pathetic as I said, the hardware is loose. It fell of the strap once because the strap buttons we're so loose and it cracked the side of the body and chiped the head stock. With slight knocks things can turn nasty. I would definately play a gig with a backup but sadly this is the only one I have at the moment. // 4

Overall Impression: Its a very versatile guitar in playing differient styles and sounds great. I've been playing for almost 2 years and it is a lot better than my last guitar a Squier Strat. If it was stolen I would definately buy another les paul but not a standard most probably a custom. I just wish it was more reliable. // 7

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Korzack, on march 19, 2007

Purchased from: Bernard Deans', Scarborough

Features: No idea about year, but I presume 2006, in Korea (parts inspected at Gibson's plant in Nashville, Tennessee. Or so I think), 22 jumbo frets on a Rosewood neck, Mahogany body, with twin Humbucking Pickups, Tune-O-Matic bridge with Grover tuners, a 3-way pickup selector, with a volume & tone control for each. Gig-bag thrown in too, bought a leather strap separately because the canvas ones always seem to slip like mad. All nice stuff, but I do get the feeling I was ripped off for price, but it was an 18th birthday present (along with a Marshall 50DFX amp), so I'm not going to complain. Weight is knocking on the door of 9 pounds (so about 4.5 Kilograms). It's a load, but to be honest, it's worth it, & I could do with a little exercise // 9

Sound: My usual playing style is Punk & 70's/80's rock with a lil metallic bite (so think Slash or Angus young via the Pistols or Ramones & you're just about there). It suits pretty nicely, although I've never liked the sound of the rhythm pick-up, always sounds a bit muddy, but I just play it at half volume along with the treble one & it seems great, can get a real Pistols sound out of it, specially with playing 'Pretty Vacant'. Rhythm tends to over-power the treble if left on the same setting, but as a quieter support, they do work nicely. Perhaps I need to get it sorted out, I dunno, it seems fine to me, it sounds damn good, you've just got to use your noodle, that's all. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was weirdly set up to many, was high at the top of the guitar & low at the bottom. Seems to work all right, though. As I said in the Sound, rhythm pickup may be a bit close to the strings, no idea how to sort this out though. Everything else, apart from that was in superb condition. However, the jack input came loose from the bit of plastic covering it, but that was easily done, & I get the feeling that happens with most guitars anyway, as it happened with my Peavey Raptor guitar after a similar length of time, & could possibly be why when the SG was originally made, they changed the jack socket position. But that's enough guitar theory. // 9

Reliability & Durability: In comparison to my other 2 guitars (the Peavey I've mentioned, and an Epi G-400 Xtreme, which is an Xtreme nightmare), this thing is an absolute bloody tank, I could use this as a hammer mid-gig & it'd likely still keep going (although the guy Who's head got in the way would be a bit worse for wear). Everything seems like it'll last for a long time yet, can see this staying with me until my 40's or 50's yet. It's easily capable of doing gigs without backups I've done it before, & I'll do it again. Only thing that'll break on this are the strings. // 10

Overall Impression: As I said before, it's a good match for what I play, & it'll be a better choice as I get better (been playing for nearly 4 years. Only thing holding me back is physical fitness). Got no complaints about the guitar whatsoever, the weight is nothing for the tone pay, off. If it got lost or swiped, I'd either buy another one, or save up for the Gibson LP Standard, although to be fair, I've been won over by Flying V's & am looking to get the 965 G-400 (essentially the Epi version of the Gibson Angus Young sig.), so those are my next purchases. But a Les Paul is a true rock guitar, through & through. And woe betide the fool Who would steal it if I found them & knew about it. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Lilldjuret, on april 13, 2007

Purchased from: Musikbörsen

Features: I purchased this in the beginning of 2006, and it was chinese made. That being said, I've never had any problems whatsoever with it. It has mahogny body with a quilted maple top, and packs a nice looking sunburst. It has a set mahogny neck with a tilted headstock, aswell as a 22 fret rosewood fingerboard with the Standard Les Paul inlays. A Tune-O-Matic bridge and grover tuners and Standard Epiphone Les Paul humbuckers with nickel covers, coupled by four controls, volume/volume/tone/tone and a three way pickup Switch. The electronics are of course passive. The only thing I've done is to swith the strap buttons for strap locks. // 9

Sound: I play mainly blues, rock, classic rock, metal, punk, yeah, all that stuff, and this guitar does it all! I use this with a Behringer BX600 and a Line 6 ToneCore Uber Metal and it sounds pretty good. I could use with a rig upgrade to get a better sound, so the guitar has nothing to do with the lack of tone. This guitar isn't noisy at all and it does everything I've brought upon it. Except for dive bombs of course. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar seems to be setup pretty good, the action was perfect and it was really easy to play. I've never felt a need to adjust anything on it, except for having to intonate it, but that is normal. Everything was perfectly routed and the only thing I can complain about when it comes to the setup is the fact that one of the tuners bricks is abit loose, due to it not being properly tightened. But hey, really a no issue. The finish seems to wear off a tad bit easy, but Who cares, really? // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will probably withstand everything you could probably expect it to. Everything seems very durable. I changed the strap buttons as they were too small for any strap I put on it. I can depend on this guitar without doubitng. I've used it Live a few times without any sort of backup. The finish is not so good. The finishing seems thin at the back and the clearcoat has started to "melt" and you can see it has been flowing down the back. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. It does anything I want it to do. I've been playing for nearly three years and I'm currently using a cheap setup consisting of a Behringer BX600 and a Line 6 ToneCore Uber Metal. If it were stolen, I'd probably not buy another Les Paul, as I've gotten more and more interested in Ibanezes and Jacksons, so another Les Paul would have to wait. I compared it to a lot of other guitars, but right then I was pretty much of a newb, but I do not regret buying this splendid guitar. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: mwtele, on march 20, 2008

Purchased from: Dave's Guitar Shop

Features: I just picked up this guitar as my first electric. It was built in China in 2007. Pretty basic and the same as the rest of the reviews, 22 rosewood frets, scale 24.75, etc. Mahogany with a Flame top maple laminate and honeyburst finish. Tune-O-Matic bridge, Standard Epi Humbuckers. The guitar came without a case, but I bought one along with it. // 9

Sound: First off I didn't start out playing guitar, I was a drummer. I've grown up with music though, playing piano from age 4, and I would play around with band members guitars and basses. So to me this thing sounds better than I can do justice to. That's why I went with an Epiphone vs. a Gibson right off the bat! Right now I'm just playing it through some little Roland 15w amp with some lame effects built into it, it's doing it's job though. I spent a lot of time looking at this guitar and many guitars at Dave's and played it through many amps. Right now I'm enjoying the tone that I get out of the bridge pick up on the clean channel. For me this gets a 10 because it is a great sounding guitar for what you pay for it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, I'm not sure how the guitar was set up at the factory, Dave's had gone through the guitar before it even hit the rack and had it playing beautifully! After playing my Taylor acoustic for so long, the action was amazing to me! Pickups were spot on for adjustment, I can't imagine buying a guitar online without having it set up before playing it. I had been looking at several guitars and the one I got had a great flame on it looks marvelous, I've spent a ton of time looking this thing over and I can't find a finish flaw on it, wonderful! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels like it would last and take a beating. In my last band one of the guitarists used an Epi to gig with he had a backup and never used it unless he wanted to play a different guitar. The other guitarist played a Fender and the finish on it took quite a beating, the Epi showed use, but looked way better. He dropped his once with barely any damage so for that reason I'm putting strap locks on it. // 9

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and metal and I've always like the Les Paul Sound so this is a great fit for me. I've been playing steadily for about a year, but played off and on for the last 10 years. This is my first electric and I own a Taylor acoustic, and also an older Gibson acoustic. Dave's did a great job with me and I'm very happy with my purchase. They let me try out many other guitars and sat with me to talk me through making the best purchase for me. This is the perfect guitar for me, I really didn't need the $5500 Gibson reissue that I really loved, this sounds 95% as good as that guitar and I've got a long way to go to be able to play well enough to really notice that 5 %. I love the way it looks and the way that the neck feels, what a great guitar, If you're looking for a guitar to learn on this is it! // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: mustang1, on june 19, 2008

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I did look into the serial number issue and found it to be a fall 2006 stemming from the Gibson plant specifically, in Korea. It's your Standard scene Les Paul in cherry sunburst, but with a higher figured maple top than a Standard. I ordered over the internet and got the plus top for the Standard top price= smokin deal. It came with the gig bag, tuner, headphones, strap and amp. The amp I traded for a Marshall 15w. // 9

Sound: Out of the box it was ok, needed new strings/action adjust to delete buzz. But once tuned in, it cranked. I run through a DigiTech Grunge pedal for the beef, but the pickups sound fat that way.On their own they are a little weak for the hard rock sound. Mad sustain and good artificial harmonics with the volume pots upped. Treble p/u has the LP cut through, while rhythm, p/u is a little muddy when tone is backed all off. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As stated, it needed a slight amount of tlc to dial in the deal. Finish was great, neck is fast and smooth, good fretwork. One tone pot was a little stiff, but after a bit of use it came around fine. Strap pegs solid, binding even all around. One tuning peg washer was loose but a brief stint with it and all is well. All screws flush and straight. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It may not be a Gibson, but this thing seems to have what it takes to provide years of comfortable playing. Live or in the hive, it feel rock solid. Hardware is not corroding (I wipe down after playing-lizard spit great stuff) and it stays in tune as well as you would expect without locking nut. It would be 1 and only with no fear or backup need. // 8

Overall Impression: For what I do with the guitar, this fits all my needs. Sound, action, finish all are good. I've wanted a Les Paul since I was 8 and for the bread I couldn't beat this opportunity. The fact that I received a higher grade model than I ordered is pure bonus. The only issue is the pickup sound, but for the cash I didn't expect DiMarzio crunch. The effect pedal adds what was lost for another 50 bucks. My buddy has a true Gibson LP and we're sounding spot on together, I just needed a bit more gear to get there. Bottom line, great value, good tone, good looks. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: bnichguitar, on july 02, 2008

Purchased from: House Of Guitars

Features: This guitar has 22 jumbo medium-jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard. It has a gorgeous flamed maple top. The finish is a transparent cherry sunburst that is one of the most beautiful finishes that I've ever seen. It's got a single cut les paul body It has a tune o matic bridge and passive pickups with chrome hardware. Dual humbuckers and grover tuners. It came with only the guitar. And it's inlays are a nice trapezoid. // 9

Sound: This is the nicest sounding guitar that I've played so far for heavy metal besides an actual Gibson. I use it through my gm108 and a DigiTech rp90. no settings that I have make it noisy. it has a very thick sound perfect for metal and rock. It can play any style of music I can think of. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the factory the guitar was set up perfectly but it's action is not as low as it could be but that's fine for my heavy power chording. The guitar has no flaws but the selecter kinda feels loose. The finish is completely perfect in any way so I can't have a complaint about that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think I have knocked it on a bunch of things and not even a scratch so it seems ubreakable (with reasonable punishment) I think it's dependable for gigs because it's grovers keep it intune even when I push them before the nut for that whammy effect. I'm not shure about the finish lasting because I've only owned it for like 7 months now but it smudges easily but it can be whiped off. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is perfect for hard rock/metal players like me who want a really heavy sound I've been playing for like 2 years and I own a Behringer GM108 15w and RP90. If it was lost I think I would get a custom though if I didn't have the funds than I would get another. my favorite feature is the tune o matic bridge so that lowering action is easier. I wish it had a Floyd Rose though (a guy can dream) And I wish it could have came with a strap at least. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: GuitaristRyan15, on july 08, 2008

Sound: I play mainly punk and metal and sometimes some classic rock and this guitar suits it nicely. I mainly use it with my Line 6 Spider amp when I practice and it sounds great. No noise at all comes from the pickups, even on settings with a lot of gain. The bridge pickup gives a nice, roaring, and bright sound which is great for metal and punk or anything with high distortion. The neck pickup gives a nice, warm and full sound, great for clean settings. Overall, you can get a lot of sounds out of this guitar, but if you want that single coil sound, look elsewhere. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This particular guitar was set up iffy. The action was a bit high, and the intonation was off. But after a 50$ set-up it was perfect. The pickups are at a great volume and so far I've had no problems with them. The finish is amazing (Cherry Sunburst) and had not flaws when I bought it. The nut left a little to be desired and binded once in a while but nothing some lubrication won't do. Overall, you might have to do a little work on it if your particular guitar isn't set up well. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a tank. I've played Live with my band a lot since I got this guitar and it's went through being dropped a lot. The strap buttons are solid, but you might wanna get strap locks if you're playing Live. I personally never gig without a backup but I guess this guitar could be used without a backup. The finish on this will last for years to come and it doesn't show any signs of wearing. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this guitar is a good match if you play anything with medium to high distorion because that's where this guitar really shines. I've been playing guitar for about 5 years and this guitar is one of my favorites, along with my Fender Strat HSS, and my Ibanez Iceman. If it were stolen I might consider buying a Gibson Les Paul because I can now afford it but I would reccomend it to anyone on a budget. This guitar can compare even with most Gibson models and that's what I love about it. I wish the pickups were a little bit hotter but they're Epiphone, What do you expect? Overall, a fine instrument for all ages and playing abilities. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: hansarvin, on july 08, 2008

Features: I bought my guitar last month used, according to the serial number it was made in 2001, it was manufactured in Korea. It has 22 frets, the body is Mahogany with a flame maple top. I bought mine in Heritage cherry, it has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and two passive humbuckers. It has a 3 way selector Switch and a tone and volume for both the treble and rhythm pickups. If it had grover tuners it would be a 10/10, but it has Kluson tuners which tend to go out of tune easier. // 9

Sound: I play everything from Megadeth to Clapton and it can be made to fit every sound that I need, it is a very versatile guitar. I'm using my Backline 600 head and G-K cab(this is a bass amp). The clean and distortion are both fantastic, it has that signature Les Paul tone that so many people over the years have craved. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought mine used, and it was set-up perfectly but the guitar shop set it up prior to me buying it. Everything about the finish on this guitar is perfect, mine was used and it still has no flaws, it's one hell of a well built guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've lent this guitar to a few friends to use as a backup and only one of them had to use it, and he said he was going to go buy one that night over his MIA Strat. The hardware is as good as you can expect from a Korean guitar, the strap buttons on mine are from strap locks so I'm not sure on the stockers. I think the finish will last a long time and age gracefully like a good guitar is supposed to. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 4 years, and own a Fender P-bass, and a few other guitars. I would buy this guitar again in a heartbeat if it was lost or stolen, it is fantastic. I can't rave enough about the tone, the tone on this guitar is simply orgasmic, the tuners are the only thing I dislike about this guitar. I choose this guitar because it looked as good as it played. I wish it had grover tuners. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: nathan123:), on december 01, 2008

Purchased from: GAK

Features: It has 22 frets and a Flame maple top finish as well as 2 vol. 2 tone and a 3-way Switch. It is a Classic Les Paul shape, identical to it's Gibson counter-part. It also has a Tune-o-matic bridge and Grover tuners. There were no accessories included but I managed to get a strap thrown in and discount on a case. // 7

Sound: I mainly play metal and rock and this guitar sounds perfect for both. I use it on a Roland Cube 60 amp which has nice distortion presets. I also have a Boss distortion/overdrive pedal which makes the guitar sounds amazing! I also have a Squier Strat and when the two guitar's sounds are compared the Les Paul sounds so much better! I have a friend Who has a Gibson Les Paul and I honestly can't tell the difference. The pickups are really powerful so it allows for easy pinch harmonics and heavy riffs to be played. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is flawless apart from the pickups which needed adjusting, (easy enough to do). The paintwork looks fantastic, I have the Vintage Cherry Burst design and it looks perfectly bookmatched. The whole guitar also seemed thouroughly polished and cleaned. No flaws at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't used this guitar Live yet although it has been taken to friends houses etc. It seems solid enoug and the hardware is fitted well. I would definately use this guitar at a gig and if anything went wrong I would assume it is a problem with the amp or lead! // 10

Overall Impression: I think the Epiphone Les Paul is an amazing guitar and is very versatile in the sense that no matter what genre you tend to play it still looks great. I have been playing for around 5 years and prefer to play this guitar through my Boss Distortion/Overdrive Pedal and Roland Cube 60 for a powerful, heavy sound. I would happily gig with the equipment I have. I love how it looks - the flame maple top and pearl neck inlays look great! I compared this guitar to the Tokai and Gibson counterparts and much preferred it to the Tokai. I couldn't find any difference between it and the Gibson but accept that for 3000 it may be slightly better! // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: RisingFreedom09, on january 29, 2009

Features: Made in 2008, and made in china, my Les Paul is my own dream come true, after nearly a year saving for it I finally got it around two months ago. It boasts a mohagany fret board with 22 jumbo frets, a very smooth thin neck with incredible finish. My baby is entirely mohagany, with a pure cloudless night ebony finish, and I will say here and now that the finish really does looke like it could be that of a Gibsons, no spared expense when it comes to making a beautiful guitar from Epiphone. It is a single cut away Les Paul Standard Plus Top, a very, very gorgeous and classic instrument. It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge (one of the only things I dislike about it) although it still works with my Les Paul. It has two very hot chrome covered active Humbuckers, and they can reallllllly scream. On my headstock I've got the classic chrome grover tuners, and they hold this baby in tune much better than rumors would have you think. When I bought this Les Paul I got the warranty, some extra strings, and a DS-1 distortion pedal, however, they were not so kind as to deduct that from the price, probably because I got this guitar about 200 dollars off the main price. // 8

Sound: I have been waiting ages to get my hands on a Les Paul, and boy has it been worth the wait. It suits my music style extremely well, that being said I play essentially punk rock, as that is my bands genre and style. In addition, I play Classic Rock (think 60's and 70's), Alternative, Ska, Rock n Roll, and Old School Punk. This particular guitar is extremely versatile, you can get a lot of sounds out of a single pick up, not to menton tweaking your amp and pedal settings will make for even more possibilties. The humbuckers work like a charm, I plug this in to a DS-1 Boss Distortion, and with an Orange Crush 15 watt practice amp. My Orange is really beat up, yet I can get a very good crunch from the Les Paul with it. See my music resembles that of Green Day's and The Clash and the Dead Kennedys in a number of ways, mostly Green Day. However, for my own music I've cranked up the treble to achieve my own crunchy yet punchy sound that I need and love. My baby ROARS! I find it very hard to put her down, even with 5 minutes left before I need to be in my desk at school. This guitar produces nearly no noise at all, it will of course make a little with the gain on my distortion pedal cranked up, but it's never that bad, even with my P.O.S. amp. This guitar can be both very bright or dark, it can swing any way it's needed for. I will warn you that if you do not adjust the settings efficiently, the neck pick up can sound very muddy. All in all, this thing is unable to achieve that Gibby sound mostly because of the low end humbuckers. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: My god, this thing is a BEAST! It was pretty well set up by the factory, but I am adamnat that you go to your local guitar center and jam with several and examine each one before you buy, you can easily buy one that was not set up well in the factory and may even have VERY bad faults in it. That is what I did, and when I finally found the one I wanted, I knew that was it, my long wait of saving and searching was over. This guitar was well set up at the factory, the only thing that really stood out was that the jack was always getting loose, so I just grabbed hold o it and screwed it in as hard as possible with my fingers, it hasn't moved since. I also decided to set up my Les Paul only a couple days after purchasing, mainly to set it up the way I wanted. I simply adjusted the pick up hight to my liking, replaced the strings and used a different gauge of.10, and polished her up. That was all that needed to be done. Everything has been done properly, the bridge is set right, my finsih is flawless, the pick ups are bitchin, all though I will probably replace them with Gibson humbuckers in the future, just for a more quality sound. The frets were flawless, polished and filed perfectly, something you absolutely HAVE to check before you buy. The finish does not cheap out any where on the body or neck, and the neck is a lot like a 60's neck, thin and strong. The tuners do better than I would have expected, as a lot of people dog the grover tuners quality, it actually can keep my Les Paul in tune even with my constant playing for about a week or two. ONe problem, this may just be because of the ferocity I play this babe with, but my 4th string seems to break constantly. I break it A LOT! it may be from faulty strings, but I really don't know at this point. It may be changed, as I repalced it with a Markley and it hasn't broken after about 5 days now. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I garuntee it will withstand Live playing. As a punk, I play my guitar with bnot so much heavy but fast paced strumming, this thing delivers excellent sound regardless.The hardware is bound to last, even with that, as I said, I plan on replacing the humbuckers for something of higher quality, as a musician in a band, I need all the qualtiy I can get. The strap buttons, to my surprise, actually are very stable. I play my LEs Paul parallel to the ground, if you slant while playing, it may slip off due to the angle. This guitar really is not THAT much heavier than my Strat, it really isn't as weight ridden as many would have you believe. It may just be that I have stronger back and shoulder muscles ( I play hockey ) than most, but really it's not that big of a deal. Gigging with my band, I will certainly be using it with out a back up. I can rely on This Girl no matter what comes my way. // 10

Overall Impression: Being almost nothing but a punk rock musician, I fins this as a classic guitar to use, it can have so much variety but still has that sound I need the most. I had been waiting for my Les Paul for a LONG time, and finally I have my own, I do not regret my decision to buy it at all. For single noted riffs, barre chords, powerchords, and major/minor chords, my LP sounds fantastic with it all. I have been playing for the better part of 3 years, practicing erhaps about 3-5 hours every week day, and then about 8 on the weekends. Music is my life, and my Les Paul is the instrument that drives me. I would not ask anything, if I could, mainly because I asked everything that I needed to ask. never ever buy a new guitar with out thinking it through and asking as many questions about it as possible, it will bite you in the arse if you don't! This will never be stolen or lost, I am never that careless with my guitars, especially what is now my favorite. I love everything about my Epi Les Paul and hate nothing, it is perfect for me, except for replacing the pick ups, which I will get around to this summer. I compared this to Ibanez and Fender with multiple models, but I always found myself coming back to the Les Paul, it is my soul guitar, and that won't change. The only thing I wish my Les Paul had was burstbuckers or some Gibby humbuckers. This guitar captures the very essaence of the sound I love and want from a guitar. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Freept, on march 16, 2010

Features: The guitar was made in Korea in either 2003 or 2005. It has a 24.75" scale rosewood fretboard, flame maple Heritage Cherry Sunburst top, mahogany neck and body with a tune-O-Matic bridge. 2 volume and 2 tone controls with 3 way pickup selector Switch (Neck/Middle/Bridge). Alnico Classic Humbuckers and Grover tuner heads. I loved the setup and especially how smooth the tuners were and how well the kept the guitar in tune. // 9

Sound: The guitar suits my style brillaintly, I play anything from Indie to Hard rock, the humbuckers can get a sweet clean tone or if needed a very meaty heavy sound. I use a Vox VT50 and no effects pedals. The guitar is noise/buzz free because of the humbuckers. The variety in sound is quite wide but the tone knobs I find don't always change the sound a great deal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is second hand, so I don't know how well the factory had set the guitar up, but it was perfect for me when I bought it. The action was nice and low but not so low that it was hard to play. I haven't tried adjusting the pickups yet because the guitar sounds amazing as it is! One of the tone knobs was a little noisy but that was due to dust that had built up inside of it. Other than that the guitar was perfect for me. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will definately withstand live playing! Its heavy and built like a tank! The hardware seems like very good quality and will last a long time. The strap buttons were very solid and won't budge at all, I've never broken a string on this thing so I think I won't need a backup at a gig. Finally the finish is very good and has quite a lot of gloss or some other type of covering and hasn't worn since I got it. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar suits my style of rock very well and can get some brilliant tones. I've been playing for about 5 years and have had this guitar for about 3 of those years. I use the guitar with a Vox VT50 amp without any effects pedals. If it was stolen/lost I would definatly buy another one without hesitation, its my main guitar and is stunning! The one thing I hate about it is the Les Paul body shape which constricts playing higher up the fret-board, but then again it was my fault for buying one! Overall the guitar is fantastic, I really don't see why people buy Gibson Les Pauls when you could buy an Epi! They are so much cheaper and I don't see what could be improved to make it Gibson standard. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: twistedsista521, on august 10, 2010

Features: Made in 2009 in China. Set up in the United States. 22 jumbo frets, with a semi thick neck. Flame maple top. Made completely out of mahogany. Tune o matic bridge with a stopbar tailpiece. 2 alnico classic humbucking pickups. Three way selector. Non-locking Grover tuners. // 9

Sound: It suits my style of classic rock and 80s metal perfectly in my opinion. This guitar can suit any type of metal also, like death, heavy, etc. But who cares about that bullcrap anyway. The music these days sheesh. I run mine through a Peavey Vypyr and it is absolutely silent when I'm not playing. It has a very bright sound, very trebley. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty decently. No sharp frets, pretty low action. The pickups were pretty high for my taste, but that is easily adjusted. The finish is absolutely beautiful, no flaws and I've had it half a year. The saddle and nut came absolutely perfect. No loose pieces. The volume knobs were hard to turn at first but over time they got better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would take this guitar into a gig with the utmost in confidence that it would never fail me. The finish doesn't dent easily at all, and wouldn't wear off if your hand was made of sandpaper. The strap buttons are iffy, I would definately consider getting strap locks. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from acdc to dokken and twisted sister. This guitar fits my style perfectly. I've been playing 2 years but am experienced enough to where people at guitar center ask me how long I've been playing. They are amazed when I tell them two years. I would definately buy the guitar again if it were lost or stolen. I love everything about it. I compared it to all different types of ibanezs, ltds, low end fender, other epiphones, and a Gibson melodymaker, but nothing fitmy style as well as this one. This in my opinion is the absolute best guitar under $750. In fact I wouldve payed $750 for it if I'd had to. Get this guitar you wont regret it! // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: JimiRayHendrix, on august 27, 2010

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Piens Muziekhandel Deinze

Features: 2004, China. Read all the specs on the website of Epiphone under the following link. Vintage Sunburst Gigbag included The features are ok but I expected the GROVER tuners a little bit better, this guitar is a nightmare to stay in tune... Alnico Classic pickups is a nice feature. // 7

Sound: Style of music: Blues, Bluesrock, Rythm and blues, Rock n roll, Rock,... This guitar comes with Alnico Classic humbuckers, this guitar gives you a lot of gain, sustain and balls with a distorted amp. So when you play Rock, metal, hardrock,... this is a great sounding guitar... I'm definitely loving the bridge pickup (distorded or clean) but I'm not really convinced of the neck pick up --> sounds muddy, thick, too much bass. Not really what I was looking for in my opinion. I played this guitar live and had no problems with noise, feedback or other possible difficulties (sound). So: - great sound for rock and other genres with lot of distortion - not so great for blues and Vintage sounding genres. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: - Action: much too high for my style of playin, not that great but you can set the action lower yourself. - Fit: I do not like the neck (I prefer satin finishes) - Finish: For the price the finish is ok... Not great but ok.. Nice sunburst and it looks a lot like (a made in USA) Gibson. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a pain in the *** when it comes to staying in tune, especially with new strings. But this is the only negative thing I have to say when it comes to reliability... It would be a good backup during a live gig but I do not reccomend playin this guitar a whole gig. // 5

Overall Impression: I do not reccomend it because: - if you want a guitar in the price range of 500-700 dollars you have many possibilities (ibanez, fender, squire, Gibson studio or junior!...) that are better than this Epiphone. - It would not stay in tune! Positive: Finish (VS), bridge pickup, price. // 6

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Wian, on october 11, 2010

Purchased from: Dawsons

Features: This guitar was manufactured in China in 2007. The neck is made of mahogany and the fretboard of rosewood with 22 frets and with the iconic trapezoid inlays. The body is made out of a solid chunk of mahogany with a book-matched flamed maple top. I have the tabacco burst which is hands down the best looking finish you can get for the Plus top. I was also very lucky to find one which book-matched lines up perfectly as this could increase your guitars value in collectors eyes (not that I plan to sell mine before I die). Body style is Less Paul and probably the best Less Paul copy out there. Tune-o-matic bridge with a chrome finish same as the Grover tuners. The tuners is non-locking but in the year that I've had mine keeping tune is not a problem with the tune-o-matic bridge. Its got Passive Alnico Classic humbuckers also with the chrome finish. 4 Controls 2 tone and 2 volume with a 3 way Switch between the neck or bridge pickup or both. I paid an ekstra 70 for a hard Gator case. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of G'NR, RHCP, Billy Talent, Creed, Metallica... this guitar devours any style you can through at it. I play it through a Roland Cube 80X. There is no noise even standing richt next to the amp. I play it through the Acoustic amp models through to the distorted metal models and it goes through them all leaving nothing to spare. The clean sounds is bright with a great balance between base and treble. The distortion can by muddy when you turn up the base but when you turn the base down man do those humbuckers scream with no end in sight with that endless sustain. If you ask me you can get any sound from this guitar it all just depends on your ability to fiddle with it to your liking. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received mine the action was to high the pickups were not adjusted to get the most out of them. But a quick trip to my local guitar technician and all of that was sorted. Like I said I was lucky to find one with a flawless bookmatched top, so this all depends on you to shop around to find one they are out there and you'll see once you start to look around you won't take long to find one. As a lot of Less Paul owners know the G string is it's Achilles heel. My G string had a very wierd buzzing sound which after a lot of investigation was not fret buzz but something in the pickup casing which only buzzed when playing the G string. So back to the technician and sorted it was. Despite this minor flaws this guitar is profoundly well built and is very good value for your money. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have seen numerus local band performing with Epiphone Less Pauls. Even Slash have tested an Epiphone live on stage so if it is good enough for him it should be good enough for anyone. The hard wear is built like the rest of the guitar and that is to last untill the end of time. This axe is like an American Abrams tank solid with the cabability of destroying anything without breaking down. I read a lot of reviews and the first thing I did was to furnish it with strap locks as this guitar is heavy and normal strap buttons usually just don't cut it after a few months of play as the strap wears out you can be sure to find this axe amputating one of your toes if you're not careful. I would use this guitar on tour without taking any of my other guitars with me. The only way this guitar's finnish will not last is if you place it under a 10 ton truck and through it of a clif. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar will handle any music style, from country to metal. I've been playing for 5 years now and I've had numerous guitars, Ibanez, Yamaha, Cort, Squire and nothing comes close to this Epiphone in any catagory. If this guitar gets stolen (I will never lose it, how do one lose a guitar) I would definately replace it. What I love about this guitar is that it is a Gibson with an Epiphone name and the fact that it is a Less Paul. The single best feature for me is the way that the black head stock matches up perfectly with the Tabacco colour scheme. I find myself time and again just staring at it in disbelief of its sheer buty. Before I bought mine I compared it to Ibanez, ESP, LTD, Vintage and a lot of other Less Paul copies in this price range. I ended up calling my cousin in England to buy it for me as Gibson does not import to my country anymore. The only thing I wish it had was Zebra Seymore Duncan Alnico II Pro pickups. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 11, 2011

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: ebay

Features: To my knowledge the guitar was made in 2008, manufactured in Korea. See specs on Epiphone website if you are extremely curious as to the general Les Paul specs. The exact specs of my guitar are as follows: - Laminated maple top, honey burst colour - body and neck laminated mahagony - Epiphone humbuckers - Grover tuners Have to give it a 10 because I've fallen in love with this guitar and the features are just right for what you'd expect from a Les Paul - and because at the price, the features are high spec (Grover tuners; humbuckers are extremely quiet even through a 45 year old amp...) // 10

Sound: I play most things that you could classify as Rock; no country, no metal, no surf, Indie or what have you. In other words, 60s and 70s plus what recent stuff I like (i.e. Black Crowes, Bon Jovi, Foo Fighters). I play it through a Fulltone OCD into a Dynacord Twen, 45 year old (if not older) Tube amp; 12" speaker, High input, sometimes with a little tremolo (inbuilt). I like the tone on pedals and amp full so I have the full sparkle when I need it (and with such Humbuckers and such an old amp you need to have tone on full to get the brightness you may want); otherwise I use the tone controls of the LP to make it a little mellow or adjust the top end a bit. And boy, what a sound it is! My favourite would be the bridge PU with the tone rolled off completely, neck tone on full, both volume up and then in the middle position. The most satisfactory growl you could ever imagine from a guitar! Otherwise, with the volume of the neck PU down to a 6 or 7 with light strumming you can get marvellous cleans whilst the bridge PU on full volume (same amp and FX settings) provides you with a fantastic overdriven sound; think whole lotta love - which nevertheless remains very clear in the sense that you can play with good, lush overdrive without having a muddy sound. Full on Distortion is equally possible for, say, the Bon Jovi "Always" solo (with the tone rolled off a slight bit), but chords you of course have to palm mute. Volume knob very nicely cleans up as you turn it down and - at least with my fulltone/dynacord combination - strumming intensity is mirrored by the sound very very nicely. I bought this guitar to play Led Zeppelin etc. And for me this is a straight 10/10. If you want to play Metal, buy something with a shredder neck and active EMGs; if you want to play country, buy a Tele, but if you want to play man-rock get this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't comment on factory setup because I bought it second hand, but I have to be nitpicky and complain about some fret buzz and *slightly* cranky/rusty/older-than-it-really-is-looking hardware. However, fretwire was excellently cut, finish is perfect (without a few minor dings and dongs from the previous owner), electronics are superb. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Live playing YES, come on, that's what it's for. Hardware will last until I replace it. If you play live you'd have strap locks anyway but as far as I'm concerned the original strap buttons are solid. Would gig without backup. Otherwise I don't want to comment on reliability and durability until I properly put it through its paces which will take another year or so. // 1

Overall Impression: Style of music I play is mentioned above, and yes, ultimate-guitar, it is a damn good match. I've been playing 8 years now and have owned a Squier Strat and Behringer amp at first, and moved on to a PRS SE Soapbar Singlecut which I adore, a Fender Mexico Classic 50's Strat which is great for open G Keith Richards stuff. I play through a Fulltone OCD and a Vox V847 wah (forgot to mention it above, sorry) into my Dynacord as described above. I also have a small ratvalveamps practice combo; tube amp with 8" speaker and some nice twiddly knobs and adjustment things I don't really need anymore, but I also played the LP through that one and it was gorgeous, big sound from a small amp which with a Strat or the PRS (with P90s) was not a possibility. I bought this guitar blind (didn't try, not even one like it!) off ebay and am very glad I did! Would definitely get the same again, maybe different colour if the sunburst takes my fancy but overall this is a lovely, beefy, gorgeous, sweet-sounding guitar which, for the money, is worth getting for anybody who likes to have fun playing good rock music! // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: guilherme87, on july 15, 2011

Purchased from: Daddys Junky Music

Features: Made in China in either 2004 or 2010. I'm not entirely sure how to read the seriel number. Its 22 frets 24 3/4 scale. Rosewood fingerboard. The body and neck are made out of mahogany, the neck is set. It has a flame maple veneer with e teaburst wich is absolutely beautiful to look at. It has the Tune-O-Matic bridge, with passive pickus. Two Alnico humbuckers and 2 volume and 2 tone knobs with a toggle switch.. It has non-locking Grover tuners. The only thing I didnot like where the strap buttons, they were small and positioned awkwardly so I had to replace them with Dunlop stap-locks. // 8

Sound: I play many forms of rock like Blues-rock Hard-rock and metal heavy groove metal and some clean stuff. This Guitar handles almost anything! However it was not made for shredding heavy metal like pantera. If you want that kind of sound buy an Ibanez RG or a Schechter or a Dean. I've tried it on my Roland 20x and with the different amp settings I can get crystal cleans to bluesy Zeppelin tunes all the way to blistering iron maiden leads. The Pickups are absolutely noiseless wich I love and It has a very thick full sound. Another thing I noticed is the pickups are really balanced. Even with the distortion on if I strum a full chord you can hear all of the notes still. Not just a thick blob of sound. This guitar is amazing for everything up to heavy metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was amazing! I bought it new from Daddy's and the thing was perfect. Great action with minimal fret buzzing, perfect pickup adjustment and just overall amazing quality. After slapping on a new set of Ernie Ball Slinkys this guitar playes like a dream. Again one problem I had was the strap buttons. They were small and slipped through the strap so I went out and bought strap-locks. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar was ment to be played It would definately withstand live playing..as long as you get strap-locks. You don't want this falling and hitting the ground while yor playing. You might also want to get a decent case as you don't want a beautiful guitar like this to be scratched. I wouldn't gig without a backup only because why take the risk when you have extra guitars? But this would definately be my main guitar and I probably wont have to use a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall this is a great instrument. It fits the Led Zeppelin sound perfectly and can play beautifly clea too, while still being able to crunch out those iron maiden licks. I've ben playing over a year now so I know people wont take this seriously. But I've been through quite a few guitars and amps. I've owned some cheap starter guitars, a SX Les Paul Copy and the Dean From Hell Dimebag ML Replica, I own an Ibanez RG350EX and I've even made a few guitars like Van Halen replicas and such so I know a good sounding guitar. If this were stolen I would definately replace it with another just like it! I love the teaburst finish on it with the flame maple top. Its such a beautiful finish and I love the different sounds I can get from it and I love how well the tuners hold up the tuning. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: Hunter2081, on july 26, 2011

Price paid: € 400

Purchased from: Pro Musica (cork)

Features: Made in 2008, 22 frets, rosewood fretboard, two pickups. Yadayadayda. See other's if you want specs. Mine Came in cherryburst. Which is just amazing. // 8

Sound: In all honesty, I thought that this guitar was a slight disappointment plugged in. It sounds great accousticly, but the neck pickup especially just sounds awefull. The Bridge pickup is decent in fairness though. Unfortunatly it sounds very average. Used this guitar through Marshall JCM's, Vox AC30's. Still very little satisfaction to be honest. It's decent for metal, I'll give it that. But there are better metal guitars on the market. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The set-up was decent, a tiny bit of fret buzz was present, but it was easily corrected. The frets overall were well done, and the neck is very comfortable to play on. The bookmatching is aweful on this guitar. A very clear line down the middle is present on mine, which ruins an otherwise beautiful finish. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Here's where the Epiphone has some redeeming gigging qualities. It's built like a TANK. To put in perspective, a drunk person at a crowd at one of my gigs went to attack me with a broken bottle. I knocked him out with one swing of my les paul. The Les Paul had no noticeable dents, and stayed in tune. So with this perspective in mind. If I really had to, I'd gig it without a backup (even though my other guitars are a good deal better). The finish is likely to outlast me. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a mix of music. Punk, funk, metal. Anything from Rory Gallagher, to the Ramones, to Muse, Led Zepplin, and Pantera. Overall, it achieves none of these particulary well. I've been playing for four and a half years obsessively, to the point where I can outplay my father (a guitar teacher of 15 years). If this guitar was stolen, I would probably use the money and get something better. Maybe a nice duesenburg guitar second hand (a brand I've recently fallen in love with, whom I knew nothing about). I love the sturdy build quality and looks, however, I detest nearly everything else about it. I compared it to other Les Paul copies (Cort for example), and went with this. Although I hate this guitar, it was one of my first good guitars (my first two were terrible), and so for that reason, I love it aswell as hate it. If I could change anything about it, it'd be a different guitar. Rant over. // 6

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 21, 2011

Purchased from: Mundt music, Tyler Texas

Features: It's an 2007 model. 22 fret neck. Mahogany body, neck. Headstock with planed maple top. Heritage cherry sunburst finish with chrome hardware. Grover tuners, Epiphone tune o matic bridge and tail piece. Chrome pickup covers on dual albino classic humbuckers, and cream binding on body and neck. Trapezoid pearled inlays on a rosewood fretboard on the set mahogany neck. Pickguard with matching pickup rings. Just like a Gibson. Traditional Les Paul electrics. // 8

Sound: Well I bought mine used hence the low price, but it's almost brand new! Cosmetics are gorgeous! Just one good scratch on the back of neck. It doesn't effect playing ability or sound. I play mostly metal and classic rock but the guitar is extremely versatile. Most Epiphone have b grade electronics, these pickups sound awesome. With the right amp, you can get any sound you want from it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Hard to say what it wad like out of the box, but the action is great. I play in standard tunic but if you down tune just a minor adjustment on the bridge will accommodate you. And it had a truss rod accessible on the headstock under the plate. The Finnish is gorgeous, I've seen plenty of gondola and this Epiphone looks better or as good. The pots are smooth and the selector toggle works the way it should. // 10

Reliability & Durability: A set neck solid mahogany with maple cap. My guitar is four years old and I'm probably the first to pride it with a case and it it almost brand new. It's a bunch of wood glued together then painted and lacquered. About as tough as that can be. This is a real Les Paul and will last a lifetime. // 9

Overall Impression: Downside is it's not USA made but depending on the factory, quality can be very good. I'd buy another 2007 because of it's neck profile. Modeled after a fifties Les Paul so the neck is a little wider. Very comfy throughout long playing. I used to have a 2008 studio and a Vox Valvetronix 30 watt and the sound engulfed me. Tube amps and Les Pauls just go together. I now use a crummy Ibanez 10 watt amp and it still sounds great, but I need a better amp to match the quality of the guitar. // 10

Les Paul Standard Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 20, 2012

Features: New (albeit refurbished), made in China, no case. Plus Top, Heritage cherry sunburst. Nice finish overall - a couple extremely minor finish blemishes and one of the knob tops was chipped. Planning to swap the knobs anyway so no big deal. Just got it a week ago. // 8

Sound: I prefer Fender guitars but I wanted something relatively inexpensive that I can take to lessons, a friend's house, etc. Without banging up my preferred guitars. Didn't have a Les Paul so this fit the bill wonderfully. I don't feel bad about stuffing a guitar like this into a gig bag and leaving it in the car for a while. I prefer blues and rock so this works. I like the warm sound - different than a Strat or Tele. It sounds better than I expected for this price. And, the range of sound available with the controls is pretty wide. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is pretty good - a little bit of buzz on strings 5 & 6. Bends are a little scratchy so maybe the frets could use a little work. But a good set-up will fix that. The only complaint I have is that it needs tuning more frequently than my other guitars. A lot of bends and you're probably reaching for a tuner. Bend above the nut just once and it's way off. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Seems pretty reliable - I don't see anything I would characterize as "poor craftsmanship". But then, it's a $400 guitar. I didn't buy it for gigs; IMHO, if you're being paid to perform, buy a top quality guitar. Seems pretty solid, and well balanced. Heavier than I expected, which to me is a good thing. // 8

Overall Impression: For 400 or 500 bucks, this is a great guitar. It's not a Gibson LP so if you think it's gonna look, feel and sound "just as good" as a Gibson, stop dreaming. But, IMHO, you're getting 60% of a Gibson for 20% of the price. That, my friends, is called "value" and that's why you would buy this guitar. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Ultra III 7.7 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014