Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Review

8.9
reviews (5) pictures (10) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Reviewed by: KorYi, on february 11, 2013

Purchased from: thomann.de

Features: Made in 2012 in Indonesia, it has 22 jumbo frets and 24.75" scale. The body is mahogany with AAA flame maple veneer on the top, neck is mahogany with rosewood fretboard and 60s Slimtaper "D" profile, all encased in trans blue finish. It also features tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar and grover non-locking tuners. Pickups are the Epiphone Pro-Bucker-2 (bridge) and Pro-Bucker-3 (neck), both passive and coil-splittable. Controls are fairly standard, two push-pull volume knobs (to split the pickups), two tone knobs and a 3-way switch. The only accessory that comes with it is the wrench to adjust the truss rod. // 8

Sound: I sounds (surprisingly) like an LP. It has a very nice full tone (bit brighter than I expected though). I mostly play blues/rock and metal, I usually play it through my HD500 directly into headphones (ATH-M50) and occasionally through my Roland MicorCube RX. And it sounds brilliant(well for stock pups anyway). It's very easy to get really nice blues or rock tone out of it. Especially when paired up with Marshall(ish) sounding amp, this guitar just sings. And with the coil split, you can add a bit of twang to the sound as well and also get some nice ringing cleans. You can also get some reasonable metal tones out of it, but is clearly not what it's made for. It feels like it's bit too bright for that. Especially the rhythm parts feel bit thin and missing some of the bottom end. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well, everything seems fine so far. Even the intonation was spot-on (which is quite surprising). I've spent some time with the guitar now and I haven't noticed anything wrong about the way it's set up and finished so far. Even the frets and neck sides seem to be very nicely finished, no sharp edges. Everything feels pretty solid. The only 'flaw' it has (one that all of the trans-blue ones have) is the weird color combination. Firstly, on all promo pictures it looks like blue guitar with white hardware. All the plastic parts are in fact sort of creamy color. It looks OK, but it can be bit surprising if you're expecting a white parts. Also the yellow (gold?) knobs are quite ugly on the blue (so you'll probably need to spend a few bucks to get different ones). // 7

Reliability & Durability: All around, this guitar feels pretty solid and I'm sure it'll withstand live playing and can take some bashing. The finish feels pretty thick and shouldn't wear down easily. The hardware seems nice and solid too, except for the pick-guard, which is suspended and held down by only 3 screws (but I guess that's fine, since it's kinda standard LP feature). I really like the strap buttons. They seems way bigger than on my other guitars and feel way safer too. All in all, it looks like a pretty well made guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm really happy with it. The neck feels really great, it's kinda thick, in a very good and comfortable way and my hand wraps around nicely. The upper fret access is bit worse, but that's to be expected with this kind of guitar. The bad things: The gold knobs look pretty bad (why gold? -.-). The guitar is really heavy and sometimes bit uncomfortable to play while standing up. The body is really thick and completely lacks any ergonomic carving, which makes it awesome looking, but it does take some time getting used to it (especially if your other guitar is something like LTD M-series, which is pretty much complete opposite) I bought this guitar mostly because I couldn't decide. I wanted new guitar, but the more gear I tried, the less I knew what I want. I just picked this, because I always wanted to have and LP (also got some recommendations) and it has a shorter scale, which I wasn't sure about. Also looks bada-s in the trans blue. I ended up loving it. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Reviewed by: SkinnyMusicTV, on january 04, 2013

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro is an electric guitar. I've had a few very interesting discussions regarding Epiphone in recent days and their Les Pauls are always a provocative topic. Musicians, gear-heads, egg-heads, animals, vegetables and minerals all have an opinion on Epiphone. It isn't even necessarily whether or not they are good guitars. I've heard full blown brawls develop over which Epiphone would make for the best companion, if one were stranded on a desert island and had to befriend an inanimate object for the sake of some semblance of faux companionship. All kidding aside; are Epiphones a decent value and what about these Les Paul imitations? Furthermore, what is this Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro? // 6

Sound: The history of the Les Paul and of Epiphone could fill a book... as it has. Believe it or not, the company dates back to 1873 when Greek founder, Anastasios Stathopoulos, started making his own fiddles and lutes. Since then, they have evolved rather substantially... HAHA! Now, this ham-handed segue back to the present day may seem dramatic to you, but it is important for the sake of sheer length. My point is that Gibson and Epiphone have been duking it out for a long time. Even though Gibson bought out their main rival in 1957, the argument over how Epiphones stack up rages on. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: I will spare you all another discussion on how Ephiphone Les Pauls compare to Gibson Les Pauls... Except for that Gibson readily declares that they are totally different instruments. I will agree with that. // 7

Reliability & Durability: The Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro is a cool evolutionary stage for Epiphone's Les Pauls. The pickups, the ProBucker 2′s and 3′s are a notable improvement over some of their predecessors. The AAA flame maple top is a decent feature as well. Honestly, It sounds good in comparison to its peers. The tone is fairly rich with a very faint dash of classic and the hand-set, mahogany neck makes for good playability. So, for $500.00, you are getting a solid all-around guitar. Is it worth $500.00? Well, the obvious answer is: If people are willing to pay it, then it is. // 7

Overall Impression: This is one of those rare reviews where I won't really inflict my personal opinion. That is because I truly believe that it depends on the person and I'm a little torn on Epiphone... to be quite frank. I don't think that it is a complete rip-off. Also, the opportunity for creative modifications is endless and Epiphones are ripe for this sort of tinkering. As a quick side note, I will say that I hate the push/pull coil-tapping. This feature allows you to switch from humbucker to single coil but never perfectly achieves either, in my opinion. Despite this, the pickups sound okay. All in all, I would say that the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro is a bit on the expensive side and that you would definitely benefit from exploring the used route with regards to Epiphones in general. But, while it doesn't sound like a Gibson Les Paul, it is certainly a provocative offering. So, check one out for yourself and let us know what you think. By Josh Hiken // 6

Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Reviewed by: jens.a.jacobsso, on may 22, 2013

Price paid: € 355

Purchased from: 4Sound Sweden

Features: It's made in Indonesia December 2012 and bought by me in may 2013. 22 medium jumbo frets and 24, 75" scale length. AAA flame maple top. Hand-set mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard. Locking Tune-o-matic bridge with stopbar tailpiece. Neck pickup is a ProBucker-2 and bridge ProBucker-2. Honyburst color. Neck and bridge pickup volume controls with coil tapping. 3 Way pickup selector. And 2 x tone controls. Grover 14:1 machine heads. Bought it without any hardcase or such, already had a nice gigbag. // 8

Sound: I'm a self-learned beginner and used to play on a Schecter Omen 6, still have it around. I find that the Les Paul has a lot more sustain and "ompf" than the Schecter. The pickups are quite HOT and feels like a big improvement compared to the Schecter. I play mostly Hard rock and Metal (from Zeppelin to Maiden and other NWOBHM). The coil tapping feature is somewhat dependent on the amp. I usually run the guitar through Guitar Rig and found that some amp configurations hide the coil tapping feature completely while others bring it forth very clearly. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish was better than I've expected. Gorgeous honeyburst finish without any scratches or imperfections. The only marks was on the pickguard that had some sort of black scratch marks on its edges. As I dont like the pickguard it was taken off so it was not a big deal for me. The frets was quite raw so I changed strings immediately (Elixir 10-42) and gave the frets a polish. It came out great. The neck was very straight and could need some relief. I have a tiny buzz on the wound E-string, not much but its there. I will check the neck when the guitar has settled in a bit. Except the pickguard I cant find anything to complain about. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Can't really answer this as I don't play live. Everything feels very solid and well made so I would guess that using it live would not be a problem at all. The strap buttons feel sturdy and big enough. The Groover tuners are nice to work with and feels very solid. After first tuning it has kept its tuning very well, partly due to Elixir strings that I have found work very well for me. It is a heavy guitar so if I had to stand all day playing I would perhaps look for something a bit lighter. Dont know if the Gibson versions are lighter. // 8

Overall Impression: The overall impression is that it was a definite upgrade from the old Schechter. Both sound and finish is superior. I have only played for a couple of years and is self-learned (thank you YouTube!) so my experience is limited to say the least. I have tested plenty of guitars in my local guitar shop and I must say that there is many guitars that have a much higher price tag but don't come near this in both quality and sound. If it was stolen I would definitely buy another one. For 355 this is a great buy! My rating for this guitar is 8. The reason it's not 9 or 10 is that I have such limited experience so I feel I must leave room for things I have not discovered yet. // 8

Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Reviewed by: lanciottijoey, on may 12, 2014

Purchased from: ebay

Features: It is a 2013 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro, made in Indonesia. 22 medium jumbo frets on a rose wood fingerboard. Cherry sunburst AAA flamed maple top on a mahogany body and a mahogany set neck. Locking tune-o-matic bridge and a stopbar tailpiece. Epiphone Probucker humbucker pickups and full sized pots with coil taping. 3 way pickup selector. Grover 14:1 non locking tuners. 24.75" scale neck, 12" fretboard radius and 1.68" nut width. No accessories. did not come with a gig bag or case. It only came with an Epiphone cardboard box and owners manual. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of different styles of music from blues to metal. It works great for both. For clean, both bridge and neck have a nice tone. Bridge is punchy and crisp, the neck is full/warm sounding, If you roll down the tone knob a little bit, you can get a very nice tone for blues etc. In high gain setting the bridge pickup is articulate and cuts pretty good. The neck pickups is a bit muddy with heavy distortion but still good. Both pickups have great harmonics. Barely any pickup hum (a bit more in the neck). I play a Peavey Vypyr Tube 60 combo amp and this guitar sounds great through it. I don't think there is any need to switch pickups, at least not now. this guitar sounds great. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I received it the action was a bit high, but a couple turns of a screw driver and it now plays like a dream. The neck was straight, so I have not had to adjust that. The pickup height was a TINY bit too high IMO (I lowered them and raised pole pieces very little). I also raised the tail pies on the high E side a half turn to lower string tension a bit, because it was a little stiff. Intonation was almost fine out of the box. The neck is nice and smooth, not too thick and not too thin. It was marked 2nd because of a very small imperfection on the fretboard binding at the 5th fret but it doesn't affect playability. Other than that it is perfect. The inlays are a nice deep pearloid. AAA Flamed maple looks very good even thought I've read it just a thin veneer (I don't care it looks and sounds great). I've had it for about 6 months and it still plays looks and sounds perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't play live, I just jam in my room and at my buddy's house. I think it would do fine for live playing though. The hardware is solid, including strap button. The two tone knobs are solid and turn nice and tight. The two volume knobs (also the coilsplit) turn a little loosely, but so far are still working just as good as when I got it. Input jack is solid. Pickup selector is solid, no play. Electronics look pretty high quality, thick wiring and good soldering. Finish is nice and thick so it will be dent and scratch resilient. Iv had this guitar for 6 months or so and its still plays perfect. I believe this guitar will last a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: I bought it about 6 months ago off eBay (labeled 2nd). Cherry sunburst. It was made in Indonesia. When I received the guitar it everything was perfect, but the action was a little high. Neck was straight so I just lowered it a bit and it plays great now. No buzz. Pickups (Probuckers) sound very good. The pickups are full and warm sounding, especially the neck. VERY good harmonics. The tone and volume controls work good. The coil split is cool, sounds a little weak, but it's always good to have more tones. The nuts was a little snug and was causing some tuning issues, but I rubbed a pencil in the slots and it was fine. Stays in tune now even after some extreme bends. IMO this guitar looks, sounds and plays great. This guitar is great for all types of music. // 9

Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro Reviewed by: lucasstrickla, on october 06, 2014

Price paid: C$ 579

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: Bought this guitar new from Long and McQuade for $579 in 2013. It is a Chinese made Epiphone. Don't get the wrong idea, for a Chinese made guitar this thing is solid! Mahogany body and neck, rosewood fingerboard, flamed maple top. Comes with Epiphone's Alnico Classic humbuckers, which are not the best I've ever heard but they're not bad. Very versatile guitar as it has push/pull volume pots which coil tap the pickups, essentially making them single coils. You can get pretty much any sound you would want from this guitar, with the right setup of course. // 9

Sound: I play mostly rock music, some metal, country, blues, and punk. This guitar suits all of these styles very well. The coil tapping is a great feature for country and blues, but the full on humbucker is where it really excels for rock music. Currently I am using it with the guitar rig software(which can make any old guitar sound good IMO) but when I play live I run it through a Marshall. Self explanatory really, classic LP and Marshall sound. The maple top gives it a relatively brighter sound, but still warm and full. Great guitar for anyone who wants the classic Les Paul sound without the price tag. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Since I bought the guitar at Long & McQuade it came already set up. For those who have bought anything from L& M you know they do really good work. Perfect action, intonation, pick up height, etc. I would assume it didn't come from the factory like this. With regards to finish and hardware, It came absolutely mint. No flaws in the finish, or on the hardware. Everything working properly, no issues. Actually surprised with the quality since it is Chinese made. I guess the recent advances in technology have improved the quality of products coming from the far east, or at least I think so anyway // 9

Reliability & Durability: Now, here is the only section where this guitar will take a little hit. After having it for about a year, I noticed when changing from the bridge pickup to the neck pickup, its like the neck pickup "dies." Very faint sound which cuts in and out and I have to flick the pickup selector a few times to get it to "cut in." Not exactly sure what the cause is, but most likely has something to do with the wiring. Another flaw with this guitar is the strap button. I picked up the guitar a couple days ago and when I put the strap over my head, the button came off and it almost hit the floor but I caught it just in time. The hole where the screw is got stripped somehow and it worked loose.

Not all bad can be said about the reliability though. Just like my other Epiphones, this guitar is tough and it can take a hit. Its been knocked over a couple of times, bumped, the usual... and it comes back for more. So, cant complain about the built quality I guess. On another note, most people usually have problems with keeping their Epiphones in tune, but I can honestly say I haven't had that problem yet. I can do all the bends I want, bump it, or whatever and it stays in tune. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a solid guitar. I use it at home, jams, gigs, and for recording and it has served me well so far (except for the couple things I mentioned earlier). The way I see things is you get what you pay for, and I have definitely got my 600 bucks worth. Minor issues such as wiring and the loose strap button are quick, easy fixes and hey, it's a Chinese made Epi, not a $2000 Gibson. IMO, excellent guitar for what you pay for it.

Little Blurb about me: I have been playing guitar for about 7 years, I have a vast collection of guitars, amps, pedals, etc. I play everything from classic rock, to country, to metal. This guitar fits in with my playing style well, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a Les Paul on a budget. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014