Les Paul Studio Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/14/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Studio
This guitar is amazing. 2 humbuckers. Set Mahogany neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Mahogany/Alder body and top.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.4
 Features: 8.8
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (27) pictures (5) 76 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2004

Features: This guitar is amazing. It has 2 humbucker pickups and 22 frets. This guitar has a tone and volume knob for each pickup and a 3 way Switch. It has a set mahogany neck and a mahogany/alder body. Mine is new and made in 2003. Mine also came with a gig bag. // 10

Sound: This guitar is great. I like playing a lot of classic rock like van halen and this guitar is perfect. the treble pickup I found great for punk rock. I also love elvis I love that old time elvis rock and roll and I was quite surprised to find out how great this guitar is for old time rock n roll. In fact I did a few elvis gigs with this guitar and it was great. You can also get some pretty wicked solos goin and it's also great for blues. This guitar has a huge variety of sounds. I can't even seem to find a style of music this guitar isn't awsome at. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was pretty well set up when I got it. But I still recomend people who own one to get it all checked up and tuned after a couple of months. After a couple of months and getting it all checked up this guitar should last a long time. With mine I totally fuck the shit out of it and it stays in mint condition. I traded in my Strat for the guitar and it was worth it. I used to have to get my Strat fixed all the time but with this guitar I'm golden. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is awome and like I said with this guitar you can fuck the shitty fuckin brains out of it and it'll be like brandnew. The strap buttons are solid and the finish is great. Like I said I really lay a beating on this guitar because I like grung and heavy metal and when I do those kind of shows I really get into it and I've had no problems. And I always use it at gigs without a back up. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is great. I had an actual Gibson Les Paul Standard that I only use when recording and practicing so I got a Epiphone for doing gigs. I actually ended up selling my Gibson because I liked this guitar better it is definitely worth the money and more. If any one tried to take my guitar I would hunt them down because this guitar is great. If you have a Strat and want to get something better I recomend this guitar because I traded in my Strat for it and it was definitely worth it. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 11, 2004

Features: This guitar is really amazing. 2 humbuckers, set neck, rosewood fingerboard, etc. It's great for everything. // 10

Sound: This guitar is perfect for, blues, rock n' roll, punk and anything inbetween. The sound of this guitar is bright, powerful and gives u a full range and variety when it comes to sound. I use a Marshall MG50DFX with this amp and it works great. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was perfectly built. The action is smooth and easy. Solos are heavenly when I play this guitar. The pickups work great and have an excellent humbucker sound. This guitar has absolutely no flaws. It's extraordinary. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm positive that this guitar can go through anything. It's 5 years old now and still as good as new. It's very durable. The hardware will last for a very long time if not forever and the strap buttons are perfectly solid. I would definitely use it on a gig without any backup. The finish is beautiful and scratch free. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this is one of the best guitars I'll ever play. In every category its great and in my opinion is even better than the Gibson version of this guitar which it's modeled after. My Epiphone Les Paul Studio is an axe of all axes and if it was stolen or lost I'd buy the same one. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: qu1cky, on august 06, 2008

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Long&McQuade

Features: This guitar is bought with two Gibson USA HB Pickups. Even with an amp set to blazing distortion, this guitar still has a limited hum and plays with a nice warm sound. The neck has a great, quick response to it, this allows for quick riffage as well as an awesome rhythm. Unlike most Fender models of guitar, the fret board already comes with that comfortable feeling, so you don't need to work for months at gigs to get it to feel comfortable. It has a set neck from mahogany wood. The fret inlays come in either rw or Dot. The body is made from mahogany/alder and the top is made from the same as the body. // 8

Sound: As far as sound goes for this guitar it's easy to says that it is pretty compensating to most styles of music. One thing that I have found over the time that I've owned this guitar is that no matter how much you play around with your tones both on the guitar and the amp, you really can't get away from that classic Les Paul sound, which I'm not saying is bad but a change up is needed every once in a while. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was setup almost perfectly. A few small things but nothing major in any means necessary. The action on the neck is amazing, the only discrepency is the Tune-O-Matic bridge. This height of the strings from the body bothers more a lot and if I could change it I would. But as it goes all les pauls are like that so it's something I'm going to have to get used to or get a different brand of guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has served me well for nearly 2 years now. As time wears on though I can feel its crisp, 'newness' starting to fade, and it's beginning to feel a little worn. Never the less this guitar is still holding up nicely as it is an Epiphone not a Gibson. I don't do a lot of gigging but when I do I never play with a backup, seeing as I have no choice for this is my only guitar, but I can trust it will hold up 100%. // 6

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music. Everything from IllScarlet to Three Days Grace, from Atryeu to Bullet for My valentine. This guitar has proven to be quite versitile for what I payed and I'm very pleased with it. I have been playing guitar for about 5 years now and I have only owned this and a squire from a Strat Pack. Amp wise I have a Line 6 Spider 2 15w and a Marshall MG100DFX (against what some may say is not a horrible amp). It's time for something real and as you may have noticed I need something that's a little more 'shred oriented' but I still love this guitar. If this guitar was even lost or stolen I would seriously question myself for letting something that big and expensive just dissapear but I would probably not replace it with and Epiphone, I would more up to a Gibson, But the Les Paul Studio is an awesome guitar, totally worth your purchase. // 8

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: TMusic, on june 24, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This is a 2008! Epiphone Les Paul Studio. Made in Korea, but for some reason the person Who I bought it from ebay said they bought it from the "Epiphone (assuming Gibson) factory in Nashville". There are 22 frets The neck I would say is regular sized (for me atleast) but playing a 1971 LP I would say it is a little bit of a bigger neck. I don't quite know what wood they use on the neck but I know the fret board is rosewood. I think the neck is mohagany though. The finish it's more of a natural finish it feels as if there is no satin on it, but there is a finish on there somewhere. it's nice and smooth. And Vintage red (which was the main appeal against the LP Standard) The body is suprisingly thinner than most LPs I've played. You get 2 volume knobs (for both humbuckers) 2 tone knobs, and a pickup selector. The tuners are the best I've seen. The accessories it came with were just basic, cable and truss rod thingy (name please). // 10

Sound: This has an amazing sound! Almost comparable to a high end Gibson. I always turned down Gibsons and Epiphones for Fenders but I'm content with my choice I regretted buying it after I got it (on Ebay) and so I was dreading when it showed up on my front door. On the day it showed up I had band practice and so it was the best time to get a feel with it. And It out grew the expectations I had for it. Way better than what I expected. The only thing I miss from my Fender (which is in repair right now) is the trebbly sound. When I want to play Nirvana, and Weezer. It's rather hard. But It fits any music style. I play classic rock, a little blues, heavy metal, grunge, rockabilly, and punk. And if fits all the above. I run this through a Marshall Microstack and it sounds great. This is a great guitar especially if you want a heavier sound. If you want a sound like Kurt Cobains (like I was once wanting) don't go for this it's better to pick up a squire. Or better yet a Univox. The hums are really quite, but! You do not have to fight it to get feedback it comes esaily. But this is great for any sound you may want. Anything but it might take a little modding. But it can produce anything. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Right now I play it as if it just came out of the factory I haven't modded anything or any of that. It sounds great right out of the box. For me I might need to adjust the height of the pickups but I'll do that when my bass players here so he can help me. For me the bass pickup is too low and the treble is too high, it kinda gets in the way. For some reason (another wierdness to the auction) is that the person who bought it said it was sold as a 2nd but not marked. I have no clue what happend, and I'm not going to go investigate it because it's perfectly fine. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for 3 weeks and already my dumbass drummer nocked it against the ground nothing big though for me I was suprised to fine it stayed in tune. I was really happy. One thing that worries me is the pickguard just cause it doesnt't seem supported. I would use this mainly without a back up and I mean I wouldn't have another guitar in sight. And the Strap buttons on that thing dissapointed me because I was hoping there would be one on the cutaway side. But I guess not. Either way it's fine how it is. I kind of get worried about the finish because when I play my right arm is right there moving up and down so it could possibly rub off. Also when I place it there and play I get a red mark where my arm was resting that gets a bit tedious. // 8

Overall Impression: Coming into this I wasn't too excited about it because I'm a regular Fender player and I wasn't too excited in the fact my bass player convinced me to get this but once I got it. I fell in love with it. Although after I get a Jaguar it will be probably my second favorite. It will still be on my list. This guitar opened me up to a whole nother sound I used to play funky kinda punk music. But not I'm into classic rock and metal. I've been playing guitar about 4 years now and it's possibly one of the best I've owned. I love everything about this guitar, the action, the feel, the sound the way it looks. it's just amazing. And I think everyone whos looking into this guitar should just dive for it. You will not regret it. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: WhiteRaven13, on march 23, 2010

Features: My Les Paul Studio was made in China in 2009; I bought it back in December and have been testing it out a lot to write an honest review. It has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard with a 24.75 scale, Mahogany wood neck and solid-top body with an Ebony finish. The Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge and 2 Classic Alcino Humbuckers and Passive electronics. Two volume and two tone knobs for controls with a 3-way selector which goes Bridge, Neck, or a combination of both pickups. Grover tuners. Didn't get any accessories included with it. // 7

Sound: This guitar has great sound. The humbuckers it has on it are basically the exact same as my other guitars, but for some reason, they just have a better sound. Very rich and full sound from both. I'm more preferable to the Bridge pickup, just to get the extra little bit from the tone. I use this guitar through a Crate Flexwave-15r with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal, along with my Dunlop Cry Baby Wah pedal. Occasionally, I will use it with the Overdrive setting on the amp, but most of the time it's the pedal. I don't really get a lot of feedback from it, it's pretty quiet unless you're actually playing something. I think if you play around with the tone and volume knobs, and change some settings on the amp. For the most part, the tone I have right now sounds great to me, and is basically a universal sound for every band that I've tried. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up very well, but I do think that since the neck is painted on the back, that slows it down. My other guitars have MUCH faster necks than this one, but it's still a good one. The set neck construction does make it a bit harder to reach the top frets. In fact, anything beyond 17 and you'll be reaching to hit it at all. The selector Switch doesn't feel like it was put on that well, but I've fixed that by adjusting it a bit. The tone knob for the bridge pickup is put on poorly; when you look at it, it's screwed on in a way that causes it to rotate in...well, as best I can describe it, like the Earth on it's axis; it turns fine, but rotates and wobbles sideways, you could say. The finish is great. The only flaw in the finish was one place on the headstock where it's been chipped off. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar definitely withstands live playing. I got a chance to test this out last week, and it was great. It stays in tune perfectly, thanks to the Grover tuners. Hardware is great, and I think it will last for a VERY long time. The strap buttons on it were pretty solid, but just to avoid any accidents with the strap, I replaced them with Dunlop Strap-Locks; I've had bad experience with the strap buttons on Les Pauls before, and I wanted to avoid that with this one. This guitar would go on through a gig PERFECTLY without a backup, and I've proved that at the show I played last week. It stayed in tune despite the change in temperatures (from where I keep it to where I played), and the amount of play it got. The only reason why I'd need a different one is for different tunings, but that's kind of obvious. The finish is great, I've accidentally hit this guitar with a few things like the amp chords, and it's bumped the edge of my dresser and things, and there's not a scratch on it from those; just the one that was there from when I got it. I think that makes it clear that this finish will last a long time. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this is the perfect guitar for me. I play all different kinds of music with it. So far today, I've been playing Chiodos, Rise Against, Journey, Guns N Roses, and just doing some improv over a blues track, and it suits them all very well. Next month will be 3 years that I've been playing. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Junior (but thanks to strap button failure, it has a cracked neck), and an Ashland electric guitar (made by Crafter acoustic), but I don't know the model of it, and I still don't know why, but the humbuckers on those two just don't compare at all to this guitar. It has a sound that is great. I compared it to a Gibson Firebird (which I'll be getting sometime in the next couple of years, anyway), a Gibson Robot SG, an Ibanez S420, a Gibson Les Paul studio, a Jackson King V, a Kramer Vanguard, a '74 Fender Stratocaster, and a 2009 Fender Stratocaster HSS. This guitar blew them all away. The Gibson Les Paul Studio sounded very close to this, but I just felt that for some reason you get more for your money with the Epiphone, and the Epiphone also just felt (to me) like it played better than the Gibson. I like the sound (and probably almost everything) better on the Epiphone than all of the others, but if I had been looking for a guitar with good sound, a fast neck, and great playability, I would have went for the Ibanez (which I almost did). The only thing I can say that I wish this guitar had is a Floyd Rose tremolo. If it had that, this guitar would be the god of all guitars to me. Really guitar guitar, I would recommend it to any guitar player, just starting out or playing for years. // 9

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 03, 2009

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: I like to learn and play many different genres and this guitar is perfect. I use the 3-way switch which is included on many of the Gibson Les Paul guitars regularly. When switched to treble, it gives a great bluesy sound in a clean distortion. With distortion it gives a classic Slash guitar sound to it. I usually Switch it to rhythm whenever I'm playing around with a chord progression, but rarely do I use it for anything else. There are four knobs on the body, two for volume, one for tone and one for bass I think. The volume knobs don't change the sound too much, unless it's changed from 0 to 10. I also never play with the other two knobs, I just leave them at 10. There are 22 frets on this guitar, and are placed at a great distance in my opinion. They aren't too far apart, making me stretch my fingers alot, but they also aren't very small, causing me to push all my fingers together, which I hate. There are many other great things about this guitar, but those you'll find out once you buy this amazing instrument. // 10

Sound: This guitar can play whatever genre of music you want. I believe that mastering and listening to many different music styles will enhance your guitar skills. I like playing metal, blues, punk, grunge, rock, country, funk and many others, and this guitar is suited for just about every thing you can think of. I use a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal, and with the the Switch switched to treble, the distortion sounds amazing. My amp is a Traynor, I can't remember what it's called, it's not the greatest amp, but I've played this guitar on a friend's Marshall, and holy shit! The sound was amazing, very little feedback and the sound was crystal clear. If I could give the sound a higher rating than 10, I would. 10 is lowed compared to what this guitar's sound is capable of doing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I walked into my local guitar shop to buy a new guitar, never did I think I would have found a guitar this good and ready to go. I played tons of different guitars on tons of different amps, and there were really good ones and the others that sounded like the Jonas Brothers (Shit). I had my mind set on a Gibson Les Paul, because my favourite guitarist played one (Jimmy Page), but when I saw the price was more than $1200 (can't remember exact price), I decided against it. The sales person pulled out one of these Epiphone's, and I instantly fell in love again. As soon as I plugged it into the amp, I knew I had to buy it. It hadn't been damaged as badly as some of the other guitars, and it's sound was as clear as it is today. The only thing I had to do was lower the humbuckers, but that only took about a minute. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I dropped this guitar down the stairs once, by mistake of course, and it made this nasty twangy sound when it hit the floor. I was obviously worried and upset that it was broken, (imagine you dropped your baby down the stairs, yeah I'd be pissed too) but when I ran down to get it, it was perfectly fine. It had untuned itself alot, but the can easily be fixed. I was walking home from one of my few Live performances with my guitar on my back, and slipped on a patch of ice. I fell backward, my guitar hitting the ground and me landing on it, and it was still surprisingly fine. I've played the hell out of this guitar, and nothing has really changed about it. My only suggestion is buy a good, durable strap, because even though the strap buttons are stuck on tight, my strap seems to always sleep off and let the guitar hit the ground. I don't play Live much, but the few times I have, it's never let me down. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I already said, this guitar is amazing for playing different styles of music. I've been playing for about 3 years now, but I've seen many people Who've been playing longer or shorter than me. This guitar is suited for all players I suppose. It will never be stolen or lost because I would never be careless with this beautiful piece of ART. When I bought this guitar, I had played a couple of other guitars, but the only guitar that measured up to this was the Gibson Les Paul, but that was too expensive. I played a couple Ibanez's, and some Fenders, but none of them came close to this. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 13, 2005

Features: My Epiphone was made in late 2004 in China. It has a 22 fret rosewood fretboard with a laminated alder flame maple top which makes it stand out from any other guitar on the wall, it is in Heritage cherry sunburst, which is to me the best color out there. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, with the stopbar tailpiece. The pickups are Epiphone 57CH (neck) and their HotCH (bridge) with a 3-way pickups selector and 2 volume and 2 control knobs. It has the chrome grovers which are non-locking, when I bought it however it got a free SKB molded les paul case. // 10

Sound: The sound put out of this guitar is real muddy from the treble pickup, but it can really put out some good distortion for my style of music (Metallica, Zeppelin, Sabbath). I use a Line 6 Spider II 15 watt most of the time with a Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah. The pickups on it are real quiet, and dont make much noise when left alone. Overall this guitar has a wide variety of sounds it can produce, the neck pickup is great for blues. I went with EMG's instead so I could get the heavier sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I thought this guitar went through Gibsons plant before it came off the line because everything was flawless on it. the action has stayed the same for months, all the parts were put in perfect. I would recommend not changing the vol/tone knobs on it because the control pots will come loose. I switched mine with gold speed knobs. The finish was absolutely stunning coming out of the case. The tuners needed some adjusting but nothing major. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would keep this guitar for as long as I live, everything seems to be of high quality and crafted of high precision. I replaced the strap buttons on it because my strap kept falling off when I would go into a Zakk Wylde stance, but I bought all parts strap knobs and they work perfectly. The finish on mine is real tough, I have been out in 90+ degree weather with it for many hours and there has not been one flaw in the finish. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar does not completely match my style, mostly because of the sound, everything else is just amazing. This defintely would of been my first choice at the money I had and the time it was. I would definetly want to buy this again if something were to happen to it. My favorite part about it is the finish because it is so beautiful with the flametop. I did not compare this to any other guitars because I fell in love with this one. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 20, 2006

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: This is a relatively new guitar built about 2002 I think, it's got 22 medium frets (all I need) and a nice chunky rosewood neck for some nice fat riffs. It's a solid body with laminated top (cherry sunburst), very difficult to put a dint in it! It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge with stopbar. It's got two volume and two tone controls, great for if your wanting to play a variety of different music styles and if you want a nice variety in sound from the pickups. It's got Grover tuners that will never slip on you. I got a rock sak gig bag with mine, fantastic features overall. // 10

Sound: This guitar is fantastic for any music styles realy! I play anything from sixties rock 'n' roll, to classic blues (Jimi Hendrix etc), to brit rock/pop (Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Kaisers etc) to modern and retro punk like Blink 182 (mostly), Green Day, Fall Out Boy and I even go into a bit of metal now and then. And guess what? This guitar is perfect for absoloutley all these styles. If you've got a decent enough amp you cann all of these styles and bands tones off with this axe. It suites them all perfectly! I'm currently using it with a 50watt valve amp (Vox), a Marshall ditortion pedal, power wah pedal and a phase trainer/loop sampler. This guitar doesnt have any noise to it at all, the nice chunky humbucking pickups keep everything as smooth or as crunchy as you like, from glittering cleans (good with a splash of reverb if you have it) to chunky palm muting riffs, to all out 'Drop D' distortion. The pickups provide great power where and when you need it. The variety is endless, trust me, whatever you want this guitar has it, and has it times two! Again, fantastic overall! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: THe action fit and finish is as you'd expect. The action was perfect for me (don't know about you), not to high, not to low, just right for what I tend to play. The pickups will be fine for us none-perfectionists, but if you want to start changing them and messing about to get your sound then go ahead, but they were just right for me. There were no flaws on my model, I can safely say anyone can trust Epiphone for a good quality guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built solid as a bloody rock! you could throw the thing of your roof, jump down, do a gig or two, and still have six strings! the thing as tough as terminator on steroids so no worrys there. The hardware wil still be there by the time you die and the strap buttons, well I dindn't take much notice to them but I've not had any problems with them. The finish will last, but I've stuck stickers all over mine so it wontmake a difrfrence, no flaws in this area. // 10

Overall Impression: When I got this guitar (I've had it about 4 years) I started playing some heavey punk, Green Day, Blink 182, Taking Back Sunday, MCR and it probablysuites these bands best, as they all tend to use chunky humbuckers, so as you can imagine it suites my style perfectly, I'm in a band that pays a huge veriety of tunes and my guitar, along with my mates SG covers them all. I own, as I said before, a Vox 50watt valve, Marshall Jackhammer dist pedal and a phase trainer. My amp has all the effects I need so my rig isn't all glorified and expensive. But like I say my sound is perfect. If my axe was stolen I'd watch loads of horrror films to gt the inpiration to kill the guy who did it realy slowly. It wouldn't be the same having the same axe but a newer version 'cause I've got to know mine so well, and have customised it to my taste. My fav. feature is the variety of sound you can get from it. I was goning to go for a Fender Strat at first, but I thought no. This one is so much better and I'm glad I've gone for humbuckers instead of weedy little single coils. The guitar has everything I wish it had and I'm proud of myself for chooing the perfect guitar! // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2007

Features: Made in 2007, fresh from the factory in China, 22 frets, urethane finish, made out of solid mahogany, Chameleon silver/blue style. 3-way selctor switch, 1 volume and tone control for each pickup. Very sexy instrument. Yes this has great features, so a ten there is. // 10

Sound: This suits my style perfectly. I play mostly emo and alternative rock, and old rock, like Afi, Ac DC, The Beetles, Billy Talent etc. I play it through a Crate 30 watts GT30 amplifier, which makes it f--king awesome. This guitar is great with distortion or clean; very diverse when it comes to sound. I usually play it with med. distortion. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was very well set up actually, I played right when I brought the baby home. However, there is one flaw. When I asked the guy at the shop why this guitar was on sale, he said that when they received the guitar, one of the frets were un-even but that was easily fixed by having the factory file it down. But hey, for an extra 200 bucks off, it's a steal, baby yeah! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand Live playing. The craftsmenship is un-believable. The strap buttons are very solid, but they are a tab big, so I had a little trouble putting the strap on, but when I got it on, It was on there for good. I would definitely gig with this baby, it sounds way better than my friend's Gibson Flying-V. And the finish? well, don't get me started. It changes color, due to flakes of different colors in the paint, so I'd think that it would last me a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: This definitely matches my rock and roll scene, no question. I have only been playing for about 4 months, and this is my first electric guitar, along side with my Yamaha FD02 acoustic guitar. If this were lost or stolen, I'd buy another one, but first, I'd slowly boil the thief in hot water, and then put him in the oven, and stuff an apple in his mouth, and then I'd feed him to thirld world children in Africa. I love the color changing finish on this guitar, but I hate the fact that it had an uneven fret. I compare this this to Fenders Gibsons, Ibanez's and I think it can outplay most of them, especially the fenders, and Ibanez's. I just wish this had a whammy bar. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: AntwanL, on october 15, 2007

Purchased from: MusiciansFriend

Features: The guitar I believe was made in 2006, it's made in Korea, it has the normal 22 jumbo frets a rosewood fretboard. It's the Studio model so no binding. I'm not sure of the woods used for the neck and body. Mine is the Vintage Sunburst which looks really nice. It's the normal Les Paul body style and what I really liked was that it's an arch top which I wasn't expecting when I ordered it, so it was a nice surprise when I opened the box. It has a tune o matic bridge which is nice, it has Dual Epiphone Humbuckers which sound amazing, they don't need batteries so I'm guessing they are passive. It has a volume and a tone controll for each of the 2 humbuckers. It came with Grover Tuners and I'm pretty sure they aren't locking. I payed an extra $20 for an Epiphone Gigbag which fits it perfectly and does a good job of protecting it. I give it a 10 for features because it has everything I was looking for in a guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar sounds absolutely amazing, it suits my style very well, I mostly play metal and classic, hard rock and they guitar does it all, and iv messed around with some jazz and blues and this guitar did it with our a hitch. Iv mostly used it with a micro cube and a Behringer GM 108 and it sounds amazing. I've used it with my friends Metal Zone pedal, get a very good metal sound. I've gotten it to sound just like Slashes guitar using both my Micro Cube and my Behringer, and have gotten it to a good Iron Maiden sound as well, I even got it to sound like Angus's SG from AC/DC so it's a very versatile guitar. The guitar stays in tune very well, the Grover tuners are very smoothe and great and will stay intune for weeks if you have good strings on it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the guitar had a few flaws, now to be fair, it's a Studio so the looks were tuned down alot. First off, the wood is very soft so an the paint is thin so little bumps show up very easily, but if you're carefull with you're gear you'll be fine. The pick guard it came with is just ugly, all black and I didn't like it, I just ended up cutting out my own clear one out of some Polycarbonate plastic. When I got the guitar it was out of tune and had really horrible strings, but $23.50 and a visit to a local music store for a set up and some new strings fixed that right up. But the finish of the guitar was perfect out of the box. The little nut on the out put of the guitar was alittle loose when I got it but that was an easy fix. Other than those very minor things the guitar was perfect and I'm very happy with it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is very relyable and is fairly dureable (other than the part about the finish in the previous part of the review). It's not really made for Live shows(hence the name Les Paul Studio) but I'm more than sure it can handle Live gigs but probly wont look the best on stage, but I would definitly be confident in using it on stage without a backup. But would be perfect for jamming with friends or in you're bedroom. Everything on the guitar is very solid out of the box(other than the nut on the output that I mentioned earlier). The finish will last you for a long time as long as you don't bump it a lot. // 9

Overall Impression: I have to say I really love this guitar and am extremely happy about buying it, it's a perfect match for my style of playing. Iv been playing for about 1 1/2 years and it's its a perfect guitar for intermediate playing like myself. There realy isnt anything else that I would want in this guitar. I ofcourse compared this Les Paul to Epiphones other Les Pauls and for what I was looking for, which was a good guitar that sounded good and played good but didn't have to be very pretty, it defenitly exceeded my expectations. And this guitar is basicly a Les Paul Standard but with tuned down looks so if ou are low on money and want a great guitar that doesn't have to be absolutly gorgeous it's perfect. If it was stolen/lost/broken beyond repair I probly wouldn't replace it with another Studio just because I want something that's prettier and better looking on stage, but it would definitly be a Les Paul and most likely another Epiphone but an Elitist or I'd just go with a Gibson depends on how much money I have at the time, I'm very happy with their products, my friend has a Les Paul Special and loves is, and my cousins friend has a Les Paul Custom for Epi and loves it so they make some great products and I'm defenitly sticking with them. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: blobby_427, on january 14, 2008

Purchased from: Zenith Music

Sound: The guitar itself is great I must say, there is actually a fair amount of sustain from this guitar! The pickups are also quite impressive for stock pickups. I must say though, my practice amp does it no justice whatsoever, I have a Kustom 16 Watt practice amp with a Celestion speaker but it takes away the brightness of the guitar. I played it through my dads Marshall stack however, and it shone! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Hmm, this is where I complain a little. I hate Tune-O-Matic bridges. When you a cleaning the guitar with a cloth and you have the strings off, the bridge falls off. I don't mind that because I can clean it more thoroughly, but the two screws that remain in the guitar spin far too easily. Therefore adjusting the action greatly every time I clean this guitar. but that happens on any guitar with a Tune-O-Matic bridge so it's not the guitars fault (therefore action is forever changing so it's hard to rate). The pickups seem fine and all the routings and fittings etc seem perfect except for the usual strap lock being lose. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar, I should think, would withstand Live playing. I've never used this Live, I use my other guitars for that, this is a practice guitar for me. The hardware seems robust like any other official branded guitar. Strap buttons weren't solid until I fixed them. I won't depend on this guitar, I never go without a backup but I just don't think this is cut out to last forever. The frets have worn down very easily which is odd, I have a guitar which is older than this (LTD V-100) and the frets on that are still roundish. // 6

Overall Impression: I play metal and rock, so this guitar is great for the rock songs I play, not great for metal but still ok. If it were stolen I wouldn't purchase another, I would most likely get a better guitar or upgrade all my gear. I personally hate the Tune-O-Matic, but I love the feel of the neck. // 8

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: rockahollic1, on march 28, 2008

Features: Made in Korea I believe. Standard stuff: 22 frets, non locking grover tuners, two humbuckers (no covers, nice clean sound) Standard control setup: 3-way Switch, 2 vol., 2 tone, not sure what kind of frets, body is made of mahogany, fretboard is made of rosewood. Tune-O-Matic bridge piece, stop bar tailpiece (though I replaced it with a Bigsby True Vibrato, it sounds great). The point of the Studio is to take away a lot of the frills that any other Les Paul would have, leaving a clean looking guitar. I have it in ebony with chrome hardware. I had to buy the case, but it wasn't much (about 20 bucks). Overall, a really good guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar is great for pretty much any style of music. It can handle blues while jammin' with my band, or heavy metal on stage. I use an Ibanez "X" Tone Blaster amp and a Digitec something processor for practice, and a Marshall stack for shows. Good clean or distorted, but I recommend switching the pickups, they weren't as loud as I like, so I dropped in an Iommi Signature and a Dirty Fingers in the bridge. Now it's a beast. As you could guess, not recommended for tapping (that's why I have a Strat) the action is just to high, I don't really tap anyway. I recommend for a bigger player (it's heavy, just about broke my buddy's back at a show). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly when I got it. The ebony finish was perfect! No flaws at all. All of the hardware was perfect, no lose tuning pegs, no rust. The only problem I had was the switch went out for a while, but I'll get that taken care of. Overall, really good set up, finish, hardware, and pickups. Just be sure to try it out before you buy. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a real Les Paul, it is tough and will always perform well live. I always bring a backup, but I have yet to have to use it. Hardware will last a long time, the strap buttons are solid but I'll probably get some locks just in case. The finish is solid, it will take a sander to get it off. Scratches are kind of annoying though, so be a little nicer to it than another guitar if you get the ebony finish. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of classic rock and hard rock, and the Les Paul is perfect for loud, heavy, awesome music. I believe that this guitar is perfect for that kind of music, lead or rythm. I have been playing for a few years (about 3) and have played Live gigs, this is my main guitar now! I used to use this junker that was my first guitar fixed it up and now it rocks). It was a kind of Strat look-a-like with only one humbucker. My Studio blows it out of the water and into outer space. There is only one thing I have asked about this guitar before I bought it: Do you have any more? If this were lost, I would buy another. If it were stolen, I'd hunt down the S.O.B. and beat him with the case. There is only one thing that I don't like about the Les Paul: it isn't a Gibson. I would have gottten a Gibson Studio is I had the money, but the Epi version is just as good, or even better. I have put in new pick ups (which is a personal preference) and a Bigsby vibrato on it (also a personal thing, I like to dive bomb! )but aside from those things, everything else will probably stay the same. I'd say that my favorite feature of the Les Paul is it's body... I just LOVE the LP shape. Here is a quote that sums it up. It is from a Spanish guitarist talking about the history of the guitar: "It is shaped like a beautiful woman, with smooth curves, a beautiful face, and a sweet voice". Yeah. That about sums it up. I only wish that I had this guitar when I was starting to play, I would have been much more confident to play around other people. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: les.paul.rocker, on august 28, 2008

Purchased from: The guitar shop, Southamption, England

Features: Well being a beginner to electric guitars I might not be really haelpful on this. But this beautiful guitar (finished in worn cherry) has 22 frets on, a rosewoord neck. It has a tune-O-matic bridge, 2 Alnico V humbuckers and of course the lovely les paul body. 2 volume controls. 2 tone controls. A switch to choose either trebble or rhythm. (I'm not sure what it's called is it a three way pickup?) I get a mega deal in this shop. I got: a (soft) gig bag, a lead, a strap. For free with this guitar. Now I'm not really one to be judging the score for this having not too much exprecience but I have been impressed with what I've got however I've heard that you can get 5 way pickup so I'll give it a... // 9

Sound: well I play punk/rock, think: My Chemical Romance, The Used, Good Charlotte, Misfits. I have a Vox AD15VT and to be honest I'm not really pleased. The amp is a very good amp don't get me wrong. It's just I can't get the sound I want. It's either to classic rock or numetal and I can't see to get inbetween. But any way, you may like to know what's on this amp so, it has amp settings: boutique CL, black 2X12, tweed 4X10, AC15, AC30TB, UK 70's, UK 80'S, UK modern, numetal, US higain, boutique OD; effects: auto wah, comp, comp phaser, comp+chorus, chorus+delay, chorus+reverb, flanger+reverb, tremelo+reverb, rotary+reverb, delay, reverb. the guitar sound without the amp is a nice sound, it's bright and good for playing all kinds of things from metal to classic rock. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Finish is very good. Really nice colour and woody finish. It has a set neck so there are not nastbolts at the back. So far I have not seen any thing wtong with it. There were no flaws and I'm happy. I think the pickups were good but I'm not a real expert fro your better off checking some other reviws for that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well, I have played a gig yet so it's hard to say. but banging it againt the wall (with some force *oops*) has left scratches. I would go to a gig without a backup because I have no other electic. But I think that it would withstand it. Depends how rough and tumble you like to play. The strap buttoms seem solid enough to me. // 9

Overall Impression: I know that this guitar can make the sound I want(rock/punk) because I've seen it so it's a matter of choosing the right amp for me. I have been playing about a year but mostly on an accoustic build up my techinique. I wish I had asked when it was made and where it was made because I could have had money off. though I think this price was quite good. If it was stolen I would test this guitar on different amps to see if I could get the sound I want if I could I would definatly buy iy again. If not I might check something else out but I really do love this guitar. // 9

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: Skizz Balisk, on january 29, 2009

Price paid: € 280

Purchased from: Musicstore.com

Features: Grover tuners, Forty degree headstock, 22-Frets, The finsh is unlaminated so it is so smooth, Tune-O-Matic Bridge, 2Tone Knobs, 2Volume Knobs, Alinco Humbuckers. The forty degree headstock means that this baby always stays in tune. The thing I like about this guitar is it is so easy to access the innards. I use to have a shitty Strat thing that fell to pieces when opened. This Guitar has everything it could possibly need. If your used to playing Fender's it takes a while to get used to the neck, it's worth it it is so much easier to play bar chords on. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of different styles and this conquers them all. From funk to gypsy jazz to singer-songwriter. It's amazing. It has a tone chamber in the body which gives it the purest tone. It's truly increible. I was up in my mates place and we were playing through his Fender 65R. He had a Fender Ash tele. I had my Les Paul set to treble. He said to my one of my pickups wasn't working when I plug her in. I strummed it and it was heard load and clear. It was so clean you just couldn't hear it till I played. It treats effects beatiful. It doesn't try it push it's own tone over it. It will harmonise with whatever effects you throw at it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Have not changed the action, internation or pickups and never will. If you are to get this guitar get it in the brown finish. I hate the lacuer they usually put over the guitars. The finish I have does not have this. This means the more you play the neck the smoother it gets. It does not get sticky or wear your hand at all like the lacuer can. The only way to make this guitar look better. Is to distemper it professionally. I usually hate distempering, but this guitar looks like a lump of beautiful wood and could only benefit from distemperment. If you can't afford this just play it to death, but that will be quite hard. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is so solid. Everything about this will last. It can own Live and studio playing provide you have an amp equal to it. I am getting a Fender 210R and it is a match made in heaven. Seriously I have whacked this Guitar more times then I would like to admit. But apart from one or two chips in the finsh it has held up fanastically. // 10

Overall Impression: I adore this guitar. I have only been playing about two years. I got this last summer as I wanted a guitar that actually worked. I bought it online without ever playing one and I couldn't be happier with it. I will never replace this. My mate has a Fender tele, my other mate Gibson les paul and my uncle has a Fender America Strat and I think this plays and sounds better. I don't know if this guitar is a fluke but I am so glad I got it. I only regret I couldn't find it in Chamelon Green/silver. If you want a first guitar buy this. If you are looking for your tone and sound buy this. A lot of people are set in thier ways when it comes to guitars and care more about The badge I.e Fender, Gibson, Ibanez and they look down on this because it's an Epiphone, but play this guitar to them and you will blow them away. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: jeffo46, on july 02, 2009

Features: Mine is a 2008 Custom Shop, Limited Edition Model in Alpine White with the Dot inlays on a 22 fret, rosewood fretboard, mahoghany neck and body with Grover tuners, Epiphone Alnico open coil passive Humbuckers, 3 way pickup Switch, 2 sets of volume and tone controls with a tune-o-matice locking style bridge. // 10

Sound: I play mostly classic rock and 80's hair metal with some occasional blues thrown in, and this guitar can handle it all. I'm using my Crate GTD 120 and a DigiTech RP-70 effects processor with it. The pickups on this guitar do have a tendency to feedback and hum a bit so I suggest that you use a noise gate or some type of effects processor. The pups on this guitar are quite powerful and can put out some serious sustain and are full and bright, so using the tone knobs is reccommended. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Here's where I encountered some problems when I took this home. This sounded good at the store when I bought it, but when I got it home, it just would not stay in tune, even with the Grovers. It turns out that the intonation was off along with the string height on the neck. Once I took care of those problems, I was relieved to see that the Grovers did their job at keeping this guitar in tune. I fully reccommend to anyone that if you're going to buy this or any Epiphone, that you go and have a setup done because IMO, the label on the back where it says inspected and setup in the USA by so and so, is BS! Other than that, I couldn't fine any flaws other than having to lower the pickups a bit. There were no problems with the frets, wiring, jack, 3 way Switch or anything else. This is one solidly made instrument. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have a habit of babying my equipment, so reliability should not be a problem at all. This should last me a very long time. I know I could depend on it for a gig without a backup but I always bring a extra guitar in case of a string break or anything like that. Better to be safe than sorry I always say. The finish looks like it will last along with everything else. This is a keeper. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned earlier, I play classic rock, 80's hair metal and blues. I also own a Crate GTD 120 and a DigiTech RP-70 and a 2006 Fender MIM Sunburst Strat. If anything ever happened to this guitar, I would go out and get another one, no problem. This guitar is a good deal for the money. What I like about it is, it's a affordable alternative for those of us Who can't afford the outrageous prices for a USA made Gibson, and seeing that Epiphone is owned by them, it's almost like having the real thing. // 9

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: jeffo46, on august 04, 2009

Features: This is my 2nd review for this guitar because I had to bring the 1st model I had gotten, back to Guitar Center due to dead frets on the E & B string over on the 19th fret area. They were gracious enough to give me a Brand New one which they had in the back room and was still in the box. It seems that the one I had before, was a floor model so Who knows how many people played it before I had bought it. Anyway, my new one was made in May of 2009 in Epi's China plant and has 22 frets and comes in the Limited Edition Alpine White finish. It has Alnico open coil humbuckers, 3 way pup Switch, 2 tone and volume knobs, Mahoghany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard along with a tune-o-matic bridge, and Grover Tuners! I also have a Epiphone Les Paul HSC which I bought separately. // 9

Sound: I play mostly classic rock and 80's hair metal and this guitar suits my type of music just fine. I am using my ever so trusty Crate GTD 120 Combo amp with this guitar and the combination is enough to peel the pain off the walls of my house. The pickups of this guitar are very capable of producing some sustain when using distortion or overdrive. When I have my amp in a clean mode with some chorus, they sound very full and lush, thus making them perfect for some serious power ballads! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My previous model was in need of a setup when I had bought it, but this one was set up perfectly. The intonation is spot on and it says in perfect tune. The string height is just fine, although I had to lower the pickups a bit. Other then that, this couldn't be any better. I couldn't find any flaws at all with the frets, the wiring, electronics, hardware, etc. This is one well put together instrument. It seems that Epiphone has upped their game with their employees in their China plant and the results do show! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have a feeling that this beauty will last me forever. I have a habit of babying my equipment so durability isn't a issue with me. I could use it on a gig without a backup but I won't only because I do believe it's better to be safe than sorry! The finish seems like it'll last and is very attractive. The strap buttons are very solid. All in all, this is one well made guitar! // 10

Overall Impression: I also own a 2006 Fender MIM Sunburst Strat and a 2007 Crate GTD120 combo amp. I've been playing for 37 years now and this is one of the best guitars that I have ever had my hands on. I would definately replace it if anything ever happened to it, No Doubt! This is a welcomed alternative to those of us Who are on a tight budget Who don't have the funds for a US made Gibson. IMO, this is just as good of a guitar and is a lot of fun to play! // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2009

Features: I purchased this 2007 guitar initially as a Scratch and Dent from Guitar Center. There was some mild in-store damage on the surface that offered me a 33% discount. Apart from the minor surface flaws, it was every much a Epi-Paul studio. 2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way, Tune-o-matic, Dual passive Epiphone humbuckers, Solid mahogany body, set neck, Gotoh tuners. // 7

Sound: I been in a Hard rock/metal band for some time, and my old guitar was constantly in and out of the shop. Alternate tunings made a single guitar with floating tremolo rather annoying. The fixed bridge on the Les Paul Studio solved many tuning problems. I play on a Peavy Transtube supreme head with a 4X10 cab and all effects are done with a DigiTech GNX-2. I changed the stock Epiphone humbuckers for Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz combo. Though the Epi humbuckers aren't bad at all. It has a great sound when clean, and a very rich, dark sound when driven, perfect for what I was looking for. With the 2 humbuckers and independant volume and tone pots for each pickup, it offers much variety with plenty of cavity room for additional mods using push pull pots. It has a sound comparitive to those at nearly 3 times the cost. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The overall setup was great from nut to bridge. The pickups were adjusted and performed well. The guitar contained in-store damage before purchase to the finish, but was otherwise in perfect condition. Slight modifications were needed to fit my personal playing style, but it was an easy fix. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have been playing this as my main guitar in both Live and studio situations, and seems very rugged. The hardware is still solid and remains flawless. I've had issues with the strap falling off, but it was due to the strap being worn out and not the guitar itself. I strongly depend on this guitar, and haven't bothered bringing a backup guitar to most shows.The finish seems quite durable as well. // 9

Overall Impression: I play primarily metal and hard rock, but a Les Paul works well with nearly any style. I been playing guitar for 16 years, and owned several guitars from many manufacturers. If it were stolen or lost, I might consider saving for the next step up in the Les Paul family tree like an elitist or a Gibson made Les Paul. I love the raw looks, no binding, no fancy inlays, no complicated tremolo. It's simply a raw versatle guitar in a classic shape that is as much at home playing metal as it is country, blues, or classic rock. Intonation is a slight down side, tuning changes such as Drop D throw of intonation slightly. My favorite feature is the tone, very dark tone due to the mahogany body and set neck. I've compared this guitar to the Ibanez RG321, Squire Standard Telecaster, and Schecter Blackjack. I chose the Les Paul due to the lower price, mahogany body, and set neck. I do wish it came with neck and body contouring like the Gibson Axcess Les Paul. // 8

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 11, 2009

Features: Made in 2008 not sure about where but I would have to guess not from the U.S.A The Guitar Has a 22 fret Rosewood Fretboard, 2 Epiphone Seymour Duncan alcino 2 humbucker pickups, a solid mahogony and alder body with a set neck. To start off, the Freboard is extremely low quality with a horrible visual appeal. But that wouldnt matter if the guitar made up for it in sound and playability. It doesnt. The sound is weak and muddy with horrible highs and the cut away is so horrible that when I play standing up, I can barely play past the 14th fret. ( To be fair, I play with my strap as low as is possible). The guitar is quite good looking though (: // 5

Sound: When I was starting out on guitar, this was everything I could want and more. It sounded great and was a from my Squier Strat. Soon I realized how bad it really was. I play everything from rock to melodic death metal and while it is good on the light end, the farther up in heaviness I go, the weaker it gets. It was so terrible that I had and EMG 81 put into the bridge. On the other hand, the guitar has a very nice clean tone. Not the best but very good for the price. I play with a Line 6 Spider 3 75 watt ( I know, I know) and this guitar has a moderatly bright, full sound but on high volume you hear ALOT of noise. Basically, this guitar has a decenttone and sound but not the one for me. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Oh goodness, when I got this guitar right out of the box, it was a MESS. The action was horrific to the extreme. WAY to high. Pickups where adjusted well though. It had a few marks on the fretboard to start off with and was scratched alot where the binding would be on a higher end guitar. // 4

Reliability & Durability: And the worst part is the strap buttons. ABSOULUTLY HORRIBLE! Do not EVER play standing up on this guitar without quality strap locks. After a month this guitar fell everytime I tried to play standing up. The tuners go out of tune extremely fast, and one of the knobs fell off within a week. The input jack also comes loose very fast. On the bright side the finish is of decent quality. // 1

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal so this guitar is not a very good match at all. I have been playing for 2 years and own a spider line3 75watt amp and this guitar and a Schecter synyster gates custom and it blows this out of the water. IF this was stolen, I would NOT buy this again. My favorite feature of this guitar is its looks. My least is its cutaway, On it I can't solo life because I cannot reach the higher frets! // 5

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 06, 2010

Features: Made in China in 2009, 22 frets, scale is 24.75, solid top with Mahogany wood body and Mahogany neck. Ebony finish (was considering getting the Goth Les Paul Studio, but decided on the Ebony once I played them), stopbar Tailpiece, Tune-O-Matic bridge, Grover tuners (non-locking), and Alnico Classic Humbuckers, which to me sound better than others that I've played (all of my guitars have Humbuckers, since I favor them over most other pickups such as P90's on most Gibsons). No accessories included. // 9

Sound: The sound on this is really great. I play several different styles that range from blues to hard rock to alternative, and it works great with all of them. Before I bought it, I tested the guitar on a Line 6 amp at Guitar Center, and didn't really like the tone the amp gave me, but when I arrived home with it, it sounded great. I have a Crate FlexWave 15r amplifier with a Boss DS-1 Distortion pedal and a Dunlop Cry Baby wah-wah pedal, as well as a Dunlop guitar slide. The sound is very full and rich, and can get sort of noisy, but when the volume and tone are adjusted to something below 10, the sound can get pretty clean while still retaining some good distortion. Depending on the setup you have with your equipment, I think you can get a wide variety of tones/sounds from this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is set up very well, the action on it is great. The pickups are adjusted perfectly. Everything is set up well and the bridge is routed properly. I have seen no flaws in this guitar at all, other than the fact that the pickup selector clicks loudly when you change the pickups (much louder than other guitars that I have played); everything seems to be perfect with it so far. The guitar plays very well, whether you're standing up or sitting down, but with this one, I prefer to stand up, mainly because the shape starts to Hurt my arm after a while. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will be great with live playing. It plays very well and easily, whether you're sitting down or standing up. The hardware seems that it will last for many years, and will continue to keep its quality throughout those years. The strap buttons were very solid compared to other Les Pauls I have played before, but I have replaced them with Dunlop strap-locks just to ensure that the strap doesn't come off while I'm playing. This guitar is very dependable, and I will use it on a gig without a backup. The finish is great, and seems like it will last for a very long time. I don't think it will wear off anytime soon at all. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, and this guitar is perfect for all styles. I have been playing for 3 years, and I own a Gibson Les Paul Junior, as well as an Ashland electric guitar from Crafter. I did my research on this guitar before buying it, and considered several others, including a Kramer Vanguard, a Gibson Firebird, a Gibson Robot SG, and an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, but settled on this once I played them all, because I felt that this on played better and had a better quality of build. If this guitar were to be stolen or lost, I would buy it again for sure. I love everything about this guitar, except for the fact that on the neck, the front and back are two different colors (black on the back, and Mohogany wood for the frets). There isn't really anything I would add to this guitar, except maybe a tremolo bar. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 28, 2010

Purchased from: musician'sfriend.com

Features: Its a 2009, chineese ep.22 frets, and a white finish (there are other colors) that is resistant to damge.les paul body style, w/ passive pickups. It got everthing a les has got, the bridge style, its got a pickguard, mahogany neck, its got two tone selectors and two volume ones for each pickup, plus the pickup selector(rythem/treble). And if you buy the alpine white one, it comes with gold harware. // 8

Sound: I use this guitar for a clean sound, and I play metallica on it. Its distortion sound is ok, however, it sounds a little nasalish with the Switch set to treble. I use a multi effects pedal through a PA system. With right tampering of the settings, this guitar sounds great. Its got loads of sustain. You can get a great variety of sounds just by playing with the tone settings right on the guitar. Overall a good sound with variety. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first got the guitar out of the box, the bridge pickup was sticking out and the neck one was way in. When I got it out of the box, also, it was almost in tune and it stays in tune very well. I think the pickups were installed carelessly, that all though. I didn't notice any other flaws with the construction. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. However I don't like the plastic tuners. I have played this in a show without backup. The stap buttons were solid however I replaced them with straplocks, but the buttons were completely fine. The finish, I would say, will last and not wear off easy. // 9

Overall Impression: I play everything from classic rock, to heavy metal, this guitar can do them. I have been playing for about 2 years, I also own an ESP m-100fm, and a Washburn d1os. Play this guitar before you buy it! Its what's good in your hands, and to your ear. If this thing was stolen or something, I'd be lost without it for a while, then I'd probably save up for a used Gibson. Another thing, about 6 months after owning this guitar, the pickups started crackling, and lost their sustain and I had to get them fixed. It was really frustrating. I don't know if I have bad luck or what, but I hope it doesen't happen to you if you decide to buy this guitar! // 8

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2010

Features: Bought mine in 2006. Not sure where it was made, probably Korea. 22 frets, 24 3/4 scale, and the neck is pretty thick, but not too thick. Solid top, basswood body, mahogany neck with rosewood fretboard. Black with chrome hardware, tune-o-matic bridge, passive pickups, 3-way selector switch, neck and bridge pickup volume and tone pots. H-H configuration, Epiphone humbuckers. Epi non-locking tuners. No accessories. Stock I give it an 8, but with Gibson tuners, new electronics, and new pickups I give it a 10. // 8

Sound: I play everything from rock to death metal and it's been excellent ever since I switched the pickups to EMG HZ's, tuners to Gibson tuners, and put in a new stereo output jack. When I practice I play through a Peavey vyper and a Boss me-25. Live I play through the me-25 and a PA system. It used to have a little hum, but the output jack fixed that. Good all around tone. Pinch harmonics cut through the mix with ease. This is a very good all around guitar. Pinch and natural harmonics are clear, chords are clean, power chords are aggressive with distortion. It's my favorite guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect. Pickups were properly set-up. The only flaw I can remember was the wires in the control cavity were not organized. I had to physically follow the wires I wanted to remove. And the stock pickups were very noisy. All in all easy to make perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Great stage guitar. The hardware will last. I switched the strap buttons for Dunlop straplocks so they'll definitely last. Very dependable. If I'm not playing this when I'm on stage it is my backup guitar. Otherwise it does not need a backup, unless you snap strings often. The finish has lasted with the corners showing a little wear. Keep in mind I've been playing this guitar everyday for the past four years. This is the most durable guitar I own. I love it. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar for me. Can handle all styles of rock and metal I play, and sounds very good when my friends play blues, death metal, and whatever they feel like. I've been playing for five years now, and have a Yamaha acoustic, epi LP Jr. And Demon V, a Jackson King V, and my own personal build. I already stated my stage and practice setups, with the exception of I occasionally will play with my crybaby in the effect string. I could never replace my baby if it were stolen. But I would definitely buy another once I get the money. The only thing I hate is the fact that I drilled holes in it for a bigsby (which I'm going to put back on soon). I've compared this to everything, even the Gibson model of this guitar, and this is just as good or better than most of them. I'd say it's almost as good as a PRS guitar. The only thing I wish it had would be a floyd rose... And now Epiphone has a Les Paul model with a Floyd Rose. Easily the best guitar I own and great for the price. // 10

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: Jgunner21, on january 18, 2011

Purchased from: Digital Village

Features: The Epiphone Les Paul Studio I bought has a sticker saying it was handcrafted in China. It has a lovely rosewood fingerboard with 22 frets. These have Dot inlays in them. As you'd expect from Epiphone Les Paul guitars, it has the Standard tune-o-matic bridge. The pickups are two hot open-coil humbuckers (Epiphone), the tuners are grover and the hardware is chrome! The body and top made of mahogany wood, which makes the guitar look absolutely amazing with it's worn cherry matt finish. For controls, it has 2 volume, 2 tone and a 3 way selector switch. When I bought this guitar, I got a free gig bag and 2 metre jack to jack lead with it, which has been a great help. // 9

Sound: A lot of the music I play is alternative rock from bands such as 30STM, U2, Snow Patrol, Coldplay and Oasis. It's particularly good for this style of music (which can be very clean and melodic) when playing with the rhythm pickup, which gives a really warm almost 'bluesy' sound, but it can also be good for harder rock with it's raw 'les paul' power! The tonal variety of the guitar is fairly mediocre, yet I have to be honest and confess that I'm one of these players who nearly always sticks to the max 10 on the tone controls! I play the guitar through an Ashton amp with my cheap Boss MD Distortion Pedal. An unusual combination, and unless you want a dirty, digital and almost fuzzy sound of distortion, I wouldn't recommend this pedal to anyone. It doesn't complement the guitar as much as I would have liked it too, and takes away that beautiful hard rock sound the guitar can be found to have with other pedals (such as the D1 or D2 Boss pedals). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came ready to be played! The action is great on this guitar, which makes it really easy to play. No other flaws at all! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played a few gigs with this guitar, and it has been great! The hardware looks set to last for a long long time, the strap buttons are solid, and it is a guitar you can depend on! I have played without a backup, and it has done me a good job. It has also stayed in tune well, which I was really pleased with. I can't tell now whether the finish is good enough to last (as I have only had the guitar for a few months), but it may do as it only a matt finish. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about a year on my Acoustic guitar. A couple of months ago I bought this guitar to play some more rockier tunes, and it has been great! I'm no guitar expert, but it has done the trick perfectly. I reckon if it was stolen or lost I'd buy this guitar again. For it's price, it's slick worn cherry look and it's raw powerful sound it's a great guitar! (sure, it may not compare to Gibson Les Pauls.. but with a bit of tweaking it could be there). I thought about buying a Standard Epiphone Les Paul and a LP100, but it's modern look and it's price got me hooked. Nice guitar! // 9

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2011

Features: This guitar has 22 rosewood frets, with two humbucklers and a tune-o-matic bridge. It also has a 3 way selector. // 8

Sound: This is an OK guitar- you can definitely hear that it's a Les Paul. The guitar has little feedback even while playing with some real drive. It's almost too clear though, it doesn't have that gritty feel I like with guitars. It doesn't excel in any style, but it isn't bad at any style. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar out of the box and it was pretty bad. It may have just been the time of year, but the neck of the guitar wasn't straight. I went back to guitar center and they messed around with the Truss Rod, and got me fixed up in a few minutes. I also had to lower the rhythm pickup a bit to get a good sound. The other problem I had was that the Tone knob sounded a bit strange when I turned it, I brought it to guitar center, the technician messed with it a bit, and it was good as new. Another problem I have is that just about every screw on this guitar gets loose at some point- The tuning pegs, the output jack, even the pickguard. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty solid. The pickups are pretty consistent, and my only complaint is that the strap buttons slip too much. I oftentimes find myself afraid to take my hands off the guitar, in case it falls. Other than that, I'd say it's definitely a solid guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I play anything from 60s Rock to Heavy Metal, and this guitar can do almost anything I try. Despite that, the sound is pretty weak and I think it was worth it for the price. If it was stolen or lost, I probably would get a higher quality guitar, because this one is just, in a world of guitar flavors, it's just... Vanilla. // 6

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 09, 2011

Features: This is a 2010 Les Paul Studio from Epiphone made in China, it has 22 frets, a very chunky neck profile and its all mahogany, from body to neck and rosewood fingerboard, it has a gloss black finish, and its a fingerprint magnet, so you have to clean it every 5 minutes. It has the arch top and the Epiphone locking Tune-o-Matic bridge, with two passive open coil Epiphone pickups with 2 vols/2tones and a three way selector. I was really surprised when I found it had Grover tuners I never thought the studios came with that machine heads too. The packaging wasn't to bad, the also gave me one 1/4 cable, a poster and a Epiphone sticker. // 9

Sound: This guitar is just amazing! It fits anything I play, because you can get from jazz sounds, blues sounds and even get to a metal perfectly. The Bridge pickup is really HOT and you can punch a lot of gain through it, or go clean and it sound perfect. The neck pickup isnt that HOT but its ok, I wish it could give the same performance as the Bridge one but still a great pickup. I'm using a Line 6 Pod HD and it sound great with it cause you can conbine any sound you want and the guitar wont fail. The pickups haven't made any noise or hum for now but still I will change them for a set of Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro. This guitar has the classic Les Paul sound, really warm and dense. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was actually perfect right out of the box, the action was the way I like it, the neck was perfect straight, the only thing I had to adjust were the pickups cause they were a little low for my taste. The only flaw I found in the guitar is that the Bridge volume pot wasn't tight enough and it moved a bit, but nothing that can't be fixed with a wrench. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels meaty! It feels like its going to last forever! With its chunky neck and mahogany body I think I could break things with it, the hardware seems strong enough to bear with a messy live show. The strap buttons are reaaally insecure, nearly useless so if you jump to much you might want to get strap locks beacause the guitar will fall with any agressive movement. The guitar seems dependable, it wont go out of tune even with rough treatment, but you could always break a string so always carry a backup guitar. The finish looks hard, but also seem like it will chip away with a fall, so try not to hit the guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 6 years and I play any style, from jazz to metal, and this guitar delivers, I can go from a bb king sound to a Slash sound and this thing will rock anything you play on it, I also have an Ibanez S470 and its quite a difference in the neck and weight but you get completely another universe of tones, for a very nice price tag. If this guitar were stolen, I would buy another one, or the Standard one, because I just love the feel of this guitars. I compared this instrument with a Epi Dot and a Fender Jaguar Blacktop made in Mexico and the Les Paul Studio wins by far! You get a wide variety of tones and combination you wont get from another guitars and its very affordable. This guitar is just perfect for the price, it has a superb tuning stability, the only thing I will change will be the strapbuttons to strap locks, and the pickups for a pair of Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II. Great guitar for $400! // 9

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: JBguitar2196, on november 23, 2011

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: - Mahogany body with carved top - Set mahogany neck - Slim-tapered profile - 24-3/4" scale - Rosewood fingerboard with trapezoid inlays - 22-frets - 12" radius - 1-11/16" nut width - Alnico Classic Plus humbucking pickups - 2 volume, 2 tune controls with 3-position toggle - LockTone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece - Vintage Kluson tuners with tombstone buttons - Gold hardware (alpine white) - Nickel hardware (wine red and ebony) // 9

Sound: I really like this axe. It plays a bit better than my Epiphone G400. Pickups aren't noisy, hardware is fine. I have used it out of a Line 6 Spider IV and a Fender Frontman 212R, and it sings. It works well with various MXR, Boss, and Dunlop pedals. I am quite pleased with the guitar's sound, although I'm thinking about changing the pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came in exactly how I liked it set up. The pickups were adjusted pretty good. The guitar was smudged and dirty, but that's no big deal. Also a tuning head was loose, but it's still a great axe. Not a big deal, and not hard to fix. For a $400 guitar, it was setup great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would be great live. I play standing up alot, and the strap has never slipped, the strap buttons are solid. I would use it to gig with most definitely. The guitar seems like it will last, none of the hardware is flimsy or loose, I would trust it for sure. // 9

Overall Impression: I play alot of rock and metal, and this axe is great for it. The bridge pickup is great for solo and heavy riffs, where as the neck is great for rhythm, although it is a tad muddy. If someone stole it, I would defo buy another. It was so worth the $400, and I will hold on to it for a long time. I would never sell it. // 9

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: loveisonthedole, on april 24, 2012

Purchased from: GAK

Features: I bought this guitar in either 2005 or 2006 from GAK.com. It was 400 in the local guitar shop but got it for 275 online. I'll leave out the details as it's the same as the rest of the reviews and move onto my own experiences with it. One thing I will say, the body isn't solid (from what I've read), it's made up of pieces of solid wood glued together. This is probably what sets it apart Gibson in some respects (excluding materials, hardware and craftsmanship). I'd imagine this would effect the tone in a small way. The finish and weight of the guitar certainly feels like it's one piece of wood though and I think it sounds fantastic. // 8

Sound: When I bought this I didn't know anything about music. I think I would probably prefer a Telecaster, but I've definitely become attached to the fat, bluesy tone's you get when you put this thing on rhythm. The treble setting I find to be a bit thin, I don't know what it would be used for? It would certainly cut through a mix for a solo or for choppy Indie or ska bar chords. The wood is pretty resonant, even unplugged, as long as you have some decent strings on (11s) you can hear a richness that you probably wouldn't with other guitars for this price. I mainly play heavy blues sounds a la Black Keys, Jack White, QOTSA, Hendrix, Cream, Wolfmother. I'd prefer a Vintage guitar (Musicman, Fender, Peavey T60) but this is definitely doing the job until then. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I have the cherry sunburst with black pick up surrounds, scratch plate, switch and knobs. I took off the scratch plate, replaced the black knobs with amber ones from eBay, the switch with a cream one and the pick up surrounds with cream ones. Looks a bit Vintage now! If I could go back 8 years, I'd have never of bought a guitar this colour though. The finish on Gibsons and Vintage Epi's of this colour is 10x better as well. All black with cream hardware would be the dogs dinner imo. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I got this guitar when I was 16 or 17. I started playing bass in a band and swapped it with my guitarist for his Fender Precision for about 2 years. This thing probably played about 50 shows, got dropped quite a bit, numerous trips in the back of a van (only had a softcase). I put it in a gig bag when I was about 20 and have only now picked up again (I'm now 24). I changed the strings, cleaned frets, cleaned the guitar, tuned it, stretched the strings, tuned it again and it's fine. It looks brand new! There's some slight dinks in the back but they haven't effected the finish and it must have been hit pretty hard to dink at all. I took it to a guitar shop once to have the switch re-soldered (a wire had come loose and wouldn't play on rhythm). Guitar Tech did it for free. Tuners are pretty good but I might consider upgrading them if you're feeling a bit flush one time. It doesn't stay in tune as well as my acoustic and I remember my old guitarist would tune up a few times every set. // 8

Overall Impression: Certainly has it's own distinct sound so you should try it before you buy it! If you're just starting out, the LP is gonna make you sound good regardless - it's a very forgiving guitar so very fun to play. I've been playing for over 10 years and this is the only electric guitar I own (except a Fender Squire, but that's a very poor guitar) as I've played acoustic for the last 5 years. Definitely try this guitar before you buy, make sure that switch doesn't bother you (some LP's have it at the bottom by the knobs instead) and as with all guitars ask the shop to set it up for you (this should be free) or if purchased online take it in and get it set up for a charge. I love the heavy, bluesy tones and the weight. I hate the colour (sunbursts and bright colours are luxury, if this is your first guitar, get something understated and classy). If this guitar was lost or stolen I would be pretty pissed off but wouldn't buy another. I'd go for used online with a classic Peavey, Fender or Musicman. I'm very happy this was my first guitar though (no 16 year old is going to appreciate a T60). It's a 4 star guitar, but for it's price, it's probably better than most in it's range! // 8

Les Paul Studio Reviewed by: cnuds, on august 14, 2012

Price paid: A$ 600

Purchased from: Gallins

Features: As we know this is a Chinese made instrument - I bought it new in 2009. It has a pretty cheap look - i.e. dots instead of pearloid on the neck and uncovered pickups but essentially it has the main features of alnico pickups, a set neck, grover tuners and the three way selector for the two humbuckers. The glossy all black paint job drew me to it - well it looked OK at that moment and I had money in my pocket. Epiphone make cheaper versions with bolt on necks and crap pickups, and a more expensive version and I think this is the inbetweener. // 6

Sound: I bought it for rocking, and I use it with a twin reverb tube amp. It delivers nicely with distortion and the pickups (when they work - see below) sound clean enough with reasonable definition - particularly when compared to active pups like EMGs. You could easily play jazz as much as metal on this the sound is pretty versatile, and I've had a lot of fun with this - essentially the sound is strong without much extraneous noise. But the pickups and electronics had issues... // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty average, even when set up by the tech at the shop - and he's got a pretty good rep. Not terrible, but the action is a big deal, and it could have been better. The baseball bat neck doesn't really help matters. Everything else was satisfactory. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is where this this guitar really went to pieces after the first year (one month after the shop's warranty!). The electronics just aren't up to scratch - the input jack/wiring has had to be repaired and now the pickups are seriously screwing up - dying out and coming back in, just atrocious really for a guitar that's still fairly new. And it's not like I treat it badly - I only use it at home. I would never trust this piece of crap in public, the quality of the electronic work is way too shoddy. Oh yeah - and when I was taking it to the shop to be repaired it fell over while in it's case - BOING - I opened the case and the bloody head had broken off. If this happens to you, it's not worth getting it professionally fixed - save your money and use Araldite. I did and it stays nicely in tune even if I made a hash of the job, so I won't knock the Grovers (or the Araldite!) // 1

Overall Impression: Please note that unlike other reviewers, I have not written this on the day I bought this guitar - I have used it for about three years, and it took a while for it to reveal it's flaws. I have an Epiphone Futura Prophecy EX, a Yamaha SA800 which are both much more reliable and fun to play than this guitar. You will get a taste of the Les Paul tone, and it does sound OK and stays in tune. I have had my fun with it, particularly when looking for thick hard rock tones, but the poor electronic workmanship make me feel that I've been shafted a bit. Would I replace it if it were stolen? HELL NO! // 5

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ 50th Anniversary 1961 SG Special P90 Limited Edition 8.1 Electric Guitars 09/01/2014
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014