Les Paul Studio Chameleon Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 12/26/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Studio Chameleon
The Les Paul Studio Chameleon has a "flip-flop" paint finish-the color changes depending on the light you're in. The Les Paul Chameleon is the perfect electric guitar under the stage lights!
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.7
 9.1
 8.9
 9.2
reviews (3) 33 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio Chameleon Reviewed by: starzsp, on march 10, 2008

Purchased from: guitar.eskildsen

Features: This guitar is the same as a normal Epiphone Les Paul Studio, 22 jumbo frets, 2 Alniko Humbuckers, mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, alder body. But there's something it has the the normal Studio doesn't. The paint! The paint on this thing is amazing. It was rightly named Chameleon. Depending on which way you look at it, this guitar is either blue, green, purple and in some rare occasions golden/brown. There is a downside for those buying it for the way it looks. All the pictures of it I've seen show a lovely blue guitar. Whereas the real thing is different colours and actually doesn't resemble the guitar in the pictures. // 9

Sound: The sounds is great. It's rich and has almost a friendly sound. I play a lot of hard rock and punk rock and it comes out on top everytime. I use a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion pedal and it sounds really good with this guitar. It's not particularly noisy either, great for playing inside. I think this guitar has a huge variety of sounds as I've learned from playing different styles to see how it would cope, and it did very well. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was quite well set up I think, though someone had tightened the A string to snapping point which it did just about right after I got it. In fact some of the strings were pretty tight when I got it which made it very hard to tune considering the high E and D strings were really loose and the the others were far to tight. Otherwise it's still perfectly in one piece, nothing loose or falling off. The pickups were very well adjusted and I didn't have to do anything to them when I got it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is like a rock. It's really Durable. it's been knocked accidentally, quite hard a few times and it's come off without a scratch. I think the hardware will last a good long time and the strap buttons feel like they have been wielded on. I would definitely use this at a gig without a backup (considering my backup would be my old and lovable Peavey Rapter EXP Plus) and I would still pick the Chameleon. It's finish feels great and doesn't look like it's going to wear off, which makes it feel really worth the cost. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is great. It's great sound and reliability. It's amazing one of a kind paint. And it's stunningly beautiful appearance. I've been playing for about a year and a half on a Peavey Rapter EXP Plus and I've played a lot of guitars since then. I've played a real Gibson Les Paul and I have to say given the choice I would take this Les Paul over the Gibson, or in fact most guitars. If it were stolen I don't know what I would day besides try and get another one. I love it's paint. The reaction on peoples faces is amazing when they see it change colour. I've seen it sitting next to a normal Epiphone Les Paul and the difference is incredible. I love playing Punk and hard rock, as well as some Alternative. Green Day, Nirvana, Counting Crows that kind of thing and it's just pulls them of so well. // 10

Les Paul Studio Chameleon Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2008

Features: This guitar is a Epiphone Les Paul Studio chamelion. It came with a leather Epiphone hard case. The guitar has 22 medium size frets. The gutiar is a limited edition 'Epiphone custom shop'. It was made in korea and 100% set up in the USA. The neck is medium and made from mahogany. the body is also mahogany and has a blue/purple chamelion finish. It has a Standard tuno-matic bridge. It has rhythm and treble pickups like all lespauls and 2 tone and 2 sound lecel knobs. The tuners are grover tuners and stay in tune all the time. // 9

Sound: The sound is excellent from classic rock to heavy metal. I mostly play classic rock. But also can play some heavy metal and punk. Punk style music by artists such as Green Day are played excellent on this guitar and heavy metal artists such as Wolfmother also sound great. You can also play some blues rock by artists like Jimi Hendriz sounds great with an effects pedal. I am currently using a Zoom effects pedal with a Vox Pathfinder 10. sounds great. The guitars tone can vary from classic rock sounds to punchy punk rock riffs. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up preety good. The only I could complain about is the neck. On the fretbourd there is a few dings but nothing to noticeable. I still have the stock pickups on the guitar and they sound great. I love the finish on it blue/purple chamelion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think the guitar is preety reliable the strap buttons are solid. The hardware is really good. Don't think it will rust. The finish is great enough and will not wear away in time. The tuners work real well and stay in tune 98% of the time. // 8

Overall Impression: The overall impresion it good. I have been playing for almost 1 year and a half now and play various tunes from Hendrix, Green Day, Wolfmother, RHCP and many more. If it was stolen I would definetly bye a new one but mite go up to a Epiphone Les Paul Standard. I compared this product to a Yamaha and I thought the Yamaha didn't have the same sustain as the Epiphone. Overall I think the guitar rocks and would definetly recoment it for beginers to moderate players. Retail price ($680 AUS). // 10

Les Paul Studio Chameleon Reviewed by: Johnmayergal, on december 26, 2008

Features: This guitar is a discontinued limited edition made in 2007. I believe it was handcrafted in China(at least that's what the sticker says).It's neck is one of the fastest necks I've ever played. It has 22 rosewood Jumbo frets with Dot inlays. though when it comes to Dot inlays on Les pauls... I really don't like them. The body has a laminated top! The body is made of mahogany as is the neck. Also the finish come in three shifting colors, Blue/Green, Bronze/salmon and silver/lime. The pearlesent colors give that much more to the unique-ness of this guitar. The pick-ups are alnico classic 3-way humbuckers. Your given a volume for your "rythym" pick-up and you "treble" pick-up. Now I'm not all that "in tuned" with the brands of tuners(no pun Intended... okay so maybe it was)so all I can really tell you is that they are Grover tuners. Did I mention that the guitar changes colors? // 9

Sound: Okay so lets get to the stuff that matters... so can we atleast tyr to get past the fact that it chnges colors? So I play anything from blues to pop to 80's rock. Now I don't think Slash would use this guitar but I think he would approve of the tone you can get on this baby. I am currently using my other christmas gift with it a Washburn Bad dog amp and my christmas gift from last year a Line 6 Pocket POD. Now the guitar and the amp alone can give you anything from a clean choir boy sound to a snarling blood thirty hound. mix in the pocket POD and you wont have to worry about hearing-aids because you wont have ears left! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: so far the guitar was well put together. pick-ups are near perfect. i mean it was almost in perfect tune. nothing wrong with at all. I fine that the bridge was properly routed. nothing was misaligned. it's as if les paul made it himself. you can hardly the pick-up selector.the fret wire is amazingly filed. the tunnig pegas are very tight. hold maybe if i disect the guitar i'll find something worng with it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Well the guitar is heavy so no air guitar move you hear me? The guitar seems almost fit enough to go onto a stage without a musician. The hardware seems good, you may need to upgrade the pick-ups... MAY! The strp buttons are well in tact and there is no fear of breakage. I can see this being the only guitar I would use at a gig... if I didn't use so many different tunings. And the finish is wonderfull... no chances of it wearing off anytime soon. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said the guitar is totally transversal... you can play anything with this baby. This guitar makes your ears Hurt... when you STOP listening to it. The only thing I wish it had was a middle pick-up, seeing as it's my main pick-up. but other than that you can't ask for a better guitar... That changes color. okay now you can go stare at it some more. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014