Les Paul Studio Deluxe Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 11/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Studio Deluxe
I am still amazed at how many incredible sounds this guitar can make. If you're looking for a guitar around this price, look no further than Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 7.5
 7.5
 7.4
reviews (2) pictures (3) 14 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio Deluxe Reviewed by: benwallace23, on january 12, 2012

Purchased from: http://www.thomann.de/gb/epiphone_les_paul_studio_deluxe_eb.htm

Features: My guitar is the limited edition ebony finish, with a beautiful glossy black finish. It has a mahogany body and neck, with a maple top and rosewood fretboard, all weighting 3.5kg (about 8lbs). The pickups are Alnico classic plus humbuckers and are very good quality (upgraded from the basic studio) The neck has 22 frets, with a 628mm scale, and trapeze perloid fret markers for orientation. The hardware is all silver chrome, with black control knobs for volume/tone on each pickup. There is a standard 3 way toggle pickup selector with a black top. The headstock has Grover-style machine heads, with Vintage white tulip tuning handles. Came with an Epiphone accessory pack. // 9

Sound: The first thing that comes to mind when describing the sound of this guitar is VERSATILITY. I am still amazed at how many incredible sounds this guitar can make. The pickups have amazing playability (much more so than the basic studio). Playing through a simple 45w Marshall practice amp, I am able to replicate almost any sound I wish. Whether it be 'Green Day style' punk rock, classic lead rock such as Guns N' Roses or Led Zeppelin, smooth clean jazz riffs or HOT twanging country and western, this guitar can produce amazing results. I have played my friend's actual Gibson Les Paul Studio and honestly cannot notice the difference. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is a BIG step up from the basic Epiphone Les Paul Studio. The guitar came from the supplier in a box, with strings already fitted. No word of a lie, I took it out of the box, tuned it up and began playing. It comes perfectly set up, and I have never had any problems whatsoever (had the guitar for a year now, it has been played a LOT). Playing this guitar is a dream: it has a nice thick neck to get some strong sound going, but a fast fretboard ideal for fast licks and riffs. I have checked the guitar over many times and still cannot find a single bit of cosmetic, electronic or structural damage. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Although these guitars are made in Asian factories, Epiphone have increased quality control in order to assure better products are leaving their factories. That said, this guitar seems solid and reliable, and I cannot see anything going wrong in the near future. I have played this guitar live a few times and it has never let me down, and I never use a backup. The strap buttons are solid, and no matter how much of a beating I give this guitar it never fails. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, and use it an awful lot. No matter what I want to play, it seems to produce an incredible tone. If it was stolen I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, I believe this is definitely the best guitar in this price range by a long way. It plays almost as well as a Gibson, for a fraction of the price. If you're looking for a guitar around this price, look no further than Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe. // 10

Les Paul Studio Deluxe Reviewed by: TeleCam1990, on november 16, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Not a clue what year this was made but like most Epiphone guitars now it's Chinese. 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard. Mahogany body and set mahogany neck. Mine is solid black although I've covered it in stickers now. Les Paul single cut body. Standard Tune-O-Matic with stop tail piece, passive electronics. Individual tone and volume for each pickup and three way selector for pickups. Standard Grover tuners although mine have been replaced with non-locking Schallers now. Second hand from ebay and the guy threw in a gigbag too. // 5

Sound: I play in a hardcore/punk band and it's done the job pretty well. Could do with a bit more beef from it but compensated with effects. I'm running it into a pedalboard consisting of a Boss TU-3, MXR Custom Badass Modified OD, MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion, Boss CE-2 and a Danelectro Milkshake chorus then into a Marshall Vintage Modern 2266c 50 watt valve combo. With the 78 Distortion I get quite a significant amount of feedback however I'm pretty sure that's just because of the gain level. I only use the bridge pickup and have no controls other than an on/off switch now. Nice sounding but really it's just average Epiphone, nothing great but not horrendous. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar turned up pretty well set-up however I had it redone by a luthier due to using heavier gauge strings than the previous owner. Pickups seemed fine, like I said above I only use bridge and it's been doing the job fine for a year now! Everything was routed nice and neatly so no complaints with that, no visible blemishes or build up of finish anywhere. Overall it came to me ready to use, although it was second hand so any issues it had when new will have been sorted out by the previous owner, hence why the average 5 for this section. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've been using this guitar for live playing, weekly practices for a year now and the only problem I've had is the on/off switch which was retro fit so doesn't really reflect on the guitar as standard! Hardware is all holding up good. I sweat bucketloads when playing live but there are no signs of degrading or rusting hardware. I've been gigging it woithout a backup for a year, just make sure I have spare strings at all times! The finish on it isn't going anywhere unless you go at it with a belt sander. It's one of those guitars that'll take 100 years to look like it's been taken out of the case! // 6

Overall Impression: As stated above I play hardcore/punk although dabble in other genres at home. It's pretty versatile and at the same time has a good price label. I've been playing for 6 years now and own a variety of guitars. This, however, was my first Les Paul. I do wish I'd done a bit more research instead of just assuming it would be similar to other Les Pauls but it's doing it's job. If it were lost/stolen I'd be quite annoyed as it does feel like a part of me now but I've bought a Les Paul Standard now so it wouldn't be the end of the world. On a personal level I love all the customization I've done. It's not just a plain guitar now, I've made it my own. One thing I did dislike was the neck dive. While no as bad as an SG it could be a pain from time to time. Lightweight tuners have sorted that and look the part too so it's a win-win situation really. I didn't compare this to any other products however I wish I had, I would've waited a bit longer and saved for the Standard if I'm honest. The only thing I wish it had is a bit of a heavier body as it feels a little bit too light sometimes. Strange I know but I like to feel the guitar pulling gently!

// 6

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.3 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014