Les Paul Traditional Pro Review

8.4
reviews (4) pictures (2) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Traditional Pro Reviewed by: ZeppelinManiac0, on february 18, 2011

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: It's your Standard Les Paul, but with Grover Tuners and coil tapping. And it comes with strap locks. I did buy a hard case along with the guitar to protect my investment. I wish it had come with a gig bag too, but that's just because I'm used to them, but I really did need the hard case over it. Eventually I might spend $20 on a gig bag. // 8

Sound: This Les Paul fits my playing style perfectly! I mostly play classic rock, with a little bit of everything else. I also play rhythm guitar in my school's jazz band, and it sounds awesome there too. I'm using a Line 6 Spyder 3 Amp, with a little distortion. When with the Jazz Band for practice I use a Fender Frontman 15g, and for gigs I use another Fender amp, but I'm not sure on the model. This guitar is very versatile. The pickups sounds amazing! The neck pickup is an Epiphone Classic (modeled after Gibson's 57 Classic pup), and the Bridge is a ProBucker 3 (modeled after Gibson's Burstbucker-3). The neck pickup has an amazingly rich sound, and sounds pretty close to PAF's. The Bridge pup, it pretty hot sounding, but I tend to favor neck pickups though. As an added bonus, both pickups can be split via push/pull pots. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set-up alright when I got it, but I lowered the action to better fit my playing style. I did have to file the nut a little bit and put some pencil shavings in the grooves, but that really wasn't that big of a deal. But I am eventually going to replace it with a bone nut. The the neck pup was a bit low so I raised it, but it wasn't that big of a deal. Now here is where I do have a little complaining to do! The knobs seemed like they were put on crooked. This is my first Les Paul so I don't know if this is normal, but it seems off to me. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I plan on using this guitar live. Most of my live events are with our school jazz band, and I really don't have room for a backup, so I'll have to trust it. Not to mention, when our school goes down to Atlanta for a music contest, I won't have room on our bus for a second guitar seeing as how both our schools bands and our orchestra are going too. The hardware seems fine except I had a problem with the strap button on the Bridge end of the guitar. It actually came out. It almost seems like the whole that was drilled was too big and the threads barely were gripping. I was in a bind when it came out and needed the guitar the next day so I did some quick thinking and took the screw out and filled it with wood glue and screwed it back in. It seems to be holding now, but I may run into some problems when I eventually go to install a Bigsby B7 I love the finish of this guitar! I don't mind the satin on the sides and back, but I love the satin on the neck! It feels so smooth and I seem to be playing faster. (BTW I have the ebony model) // 5

Overall Impression: Like I said before, the guitar matches my playing perfectly! I've been playing for about 3 years now, other than this guitar I have a Squier Strat and an Ovation Celebrity. If it were stolen, I would buy it again, but I would probably buy it from a store instead of online so I don't get a bad Bridge strap button. The only thing I wish it had is locking tuners like there are on the Gibson equivalent. // 10

Les Paul Traditional Pro Reviewed by: nacl_dkny, on january 13, 2012

Purchased from: Music & Arts

Features: My guitar was purchased at Music and Arts. The guitar retails for 400 dollars but the store gave me a 25 dollar discount. Not bad for a holiday surprise. I think it was a good buy but I had to wait for 2 weeks for it to arrive. I received it just after Christmas and I was mesmerized on how it looks. The features posted on Epi's website holds true. I have lifted the feature list from Epi's website and they are as follows: - Body: mahogany - Top: mahogany - Neck: mahogany - Neck Profile: SlimTaper "D" profile - Fingerboard: rosewood with trapezoid mother-of-pearl inlay - Scale: 24.75 - Nut: 1.68 - Neck Pickup: Open "Zebra Coil" Alnico Classic Pro humbucker w/coil tapping - Bridge Pickup: Open "Zebra Coil" ProBucker-3 humbucker w/coil tapping - Controls: Neck Volume, Neck Tone, Bridge Volume, Bridge Tone - Bridge: LockTone Tune-O-Matic - Tailpiece: StopBar - Hardware: Nickel - Machine Heads: Grover I had to buy a hard case since it doesn't come with one. The allen key, strap locks and all other documents comes in a plastic bag. For a first time mid-ranged guitar buyer, I think this one perfectly fits my needs, my playing skill and music style. For my requirements, this is spot-on. // 10

Sound: I'm a noob for the longest time. I'm running this guitar through a 10watt SP-10 amp. Very nice cleans. That amp came with a Fender starcaster pack. The pick ups pushes that amp. The clean channel is crystalline. For me, the neck pickup is great with strummed chords and plucking, for the bridge it has just enough bite for me. I can't really hear how it sounds since I'm running it through an SP-10 who has less than favorable "overdrive" channel. The pickups for me are just right. I don't have much access to other guitars to really say how much will it measure up sound-wise. Maybe other senior members can help us with this. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, the action was just perfect. No buzz at all. I changed my strings to D'Addario XL115's and it developed a buzz on the 5th fret of the low E string. Nothing a quarter turn of the bridge screw wouldn't cure. The neck bridge was a tad low so I had to raise it a little. It changed the sound for the better. My guitar came in wine red, the finish for the top was just immaculate. The neck and back is satin finished. The neck was just tactile. The neck is binded and finished nice. The only problem I had with this guitar are the knobs. There are no problems on the pots. No scratchy sound when I twist it fast both ways, but the knobs were inserted in a twisted way. Of the four control knobs, the bridge tone was the only one who's inserted straight. The other knobs turn funny. No effect on the sound, its just irritating to touch and to see it turn. I read that a person who bought the same guitar suffered the manufacturing flaw. Its not a deal breaker, but I wish it wasn't that way so the guitar will just be perfect. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've been reading things about Epi's not staying in tune. Mine seems stable. I'm playing my guitar 3 to 4 hours a day and it stays in tune. I had to file off a little bit of the nut to accommodate the bigger strings that the set I'm using. I've checked the cavities and the wiring seem professionally done. I didn't use the included straplocks. It seems sturdy but a Schaller offers me a better peace of mind. As I have said earlier, the finish is just immaculate, but I really have no way of knowing if it will last. I have banged the headstock against the wall several times, some paint was chipped of but no major flaws. I'm still to prove its worthiness for a gig, but it seems solid enough to offer a hassle free playing. // 8

Overall Impression: I can make an SP-10 squeal with this guitar, can't wait to use it on a Tech 21 Trademark 30 or on a Vox AC4TV. I'm sure it will sound much more better. I have no regrets buying this guitar even with the issue I have with the knobs. Again, not a deal breaker, but it could be improved. I would definitely buy this guitar again if it got lost or stolen. For a starting guitarist who's still to find his tone, I know this guitar is a good place for me to start. It's just perfect the way it is. I could have opted for another guitar if I need other features not offered by the Traditional Pro. // 9

Les Paul Traditional Pro Reviewed by: dkennedy88, on june 11, 2013

Features: My Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro was made in November 2012 in the Qingdao factory in China. It is finished in a beautiful transparent Wine Red, which is a high gloss on the top and a thin satin on the back and neck (in fact, it appears the pores of the wood aren't sealed!) which helps make for a more broken-in feel. The body is made from three pieces of non-chambered mahogany, which adds some sustain, but also some heft to the body. The carved top is listed as mahogany on the Epiphone website, but I'm not so sure about this, seeing how the grain is quite different than that on the rest of the body, and has more of a maple-like appearance (albeit plain maple). The set-in mahogany neck has a thick, round, almost baseball bat-like carve to it, and is fitted with a 24.75"-scale, 22-fret rosewood fretboard adorned with cream binding and pearloid trapezoid inlays. It is also fitted with a two-way adjustable truss rod that corrects bowing in both directions. The electronics and chrome hardware, however, is where this guitar shines. This was the first guitar to be loaded with Epiphone's relatively new ProBucker 3 bridge pickup and an Alnico Classic Pro in the neck. These pickups - with Alnico II magnets, nickel-silver baseplates, and unbalanced coils - are inspired by the airy, PAF-style tones from the late '50s and early '60s. These pickups are wired to individual push-pull volume controls (for coil tapping) and separate tone controls, into a 3-way selector switch. This combination is designed to provide this guitar with versatility to lend itself to numerous styles and sounds. The headstock is loaded stock with Grover tuners, which, along with Epiphone's LockTone tune-o-matic bridge and stop tailpiece, is a measure to improve tuning stability. Epiphone-designed straplocks rounds out the many improvements in hardware. Overall, this guitar is packed with as many features as a swiss army knife, and makes a solid case for "most bang for the buck." // 8

Sound: Epiphone's ProBucker 3 and Alnico Classic Pro pickups are Vintage voiced, but they can cover a wide variety of sounds and tones. The ProBucker 3 is inspired by Gibson's Burstbucker 3 pickup, but with 4-conductor wiring and wax potting; while the Alnico Classic Pro is a take on the '57 Classic, again with 4-conductor wiring and potting. I mostly play alternative hard rock (think Shinedown, Papa Roach, Three Days Grace, Alter Bridge, etc.) but also play all forms of classic rock from Zeppelin to Motley Crue, and I honestly believe this guitar can do most things. These pickups are bright but not thin and icepick-like, instead even, open, and airy, but still with plenty of warmth and girth. With a Line 6 PODXT set to a Mesa-inspired model, I was easily able to dial in a chunky Metallica "Black Album" tone, but at the same time, I can dial in a chimey single-coil clean tone a la RHCP's "Under the Bridge," using the coil taps on both pickups. Due to the fact that the pickups feature unevenly wound coils, the pickups can be give a hint of noise in the higher-gain settings, but they are still quieter than most single-coil pickups. All in all, the pickups really make this guitar shine. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar, upon bringing it home, was very playable, but the stock .010-.046 strings were too slinky-feeling for my needs. The action was OK, but could've been lower. After restringing with Ernie Ball .011-.054 strings (with a .022 wound G string), I had to readjust the truss rod and bridge to bring the action down and set the intonation. I was able to get the strings low to the frets with no dead spots (at the 12th fret, 3/64" at the high E and 5/64" at the low E, with .009" relief at the 7th fret), and the guitar intonated well in Drop-C# tuning. It's actually become the most playable guitar in my arsenal. The pickups were too close to the strings, and the polepieces were not adjusted at all (as in all at uniform height just barely above the bobbins). After backing the bridge pickup down to about 3/32" and the neck pickup to about 3/16" below the strings, and adjusting the polepieces to match the 14" string radius, the pickups opened up a lot and balanced each other out. The only real flaws with this guitar were merely cosmetic, mostly sloppy finish work around the binding, but the pickups do seem slightly misaligned, but not enough to affect tone or even be noticed. I do feel the factory setup could be better, but with any guitar, they should be set up after purchase regardless of how well it is set up in the factory. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid: well-built with quality hardware. I have not gigged with this guitar, however it feels more sturdy than a couple of my tested road warriors. I replaced the stock straplocks after filling the holes with Dunlop Straploks, and they feel solid. Tuning stability is solid after hard playing, with no slipping. The finish on the top appears to be thick enough to withstand a beating, but the back and neck's thin satin coats seems like it could wear down over time, but this isn't a concern with me as I feel this adds character. I would never gig any guitar without a backup, however I feel this guitar can withstand rigorous gigging better than most of its competition. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar really packs a punch for its $449 price tag (I got it for $350 after discounts) and can keep up with or beat most guitars double its price. For one, in addition to this guitar, I also tried out various other Epiphone Les Pauls, such as the Standard Pro and Custom Pro; a couple Gibson LP Studios; two PRS SE 245s; and two LTD Eclipse models; and this guitar beat them all to me. I've been playing for 12 years, and this is one of the better purchases I've made. It will join my two PRS SE Singlecuts, Fender Strat, and Tele for live use. If stolen, I would definitely seek a replacement. There is something special about these Limited Run Epiphones. I love the feel of this guitar. It feels like a Vintage LP, but has a hair more juice to the tone. The larger neck and weight suits me better than most guitars (I'm 6'4" and athletic, with large hands). I wish it had a tummy contour, but the lack of one doesn't bother me much. The satin on the neck and back makes the guitar feel more real and not plastic, like a lot of other Epiphones tend to feel. And the wine red color is just irresistible. Video from YouTube:

// 8

Les Paul Traditional Pro Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 13, 2012

Purchased from: Music & Arts Peachtree, GA.

Features: Got mine from a local music store. It was cheaper compared to the ones being sold over the internet. It was at 400USD and got an additional 50 dollar discount since it was a Christmas promotion of some sort. 350 dollars for a beautiful guitar, not bad indeed. But I had to wait for 2 weeks to finally get her. Everything stated at Epiphone's website regarding this particular model was true. Mahogany body and neck, rosewood finger board coil taps etc... Tools and strap locks were included in a small ziploc bag. I had a Chinese made model, I don't know when it was made though since the serial number can't be deciphered by the web application that dates a guitar by its serial number. The finish was just immaculate. Wine red rocks! The satin finish at the back and the neck gives it a more tactile feel. Action was just perfect for my taste. The neck has no relief I don't know if its a good or bad thing, but it has no fret buzz at all using the stock strings. Changed to a regular slinky, still no buzz. So the relief I think is just fine by me. For an on and off guitarist wannabe like me, who plays power chords and triads, the features are just more than enough to suit my needs. I now have 6 tones to choose from which is more than enough to find my real true "sound". The stability of a stop bar tailpiece suits me just fine. // 9

Sound: I only have a Dinky SP-10 amp to play this guitar on and it just sounds amazing. That amp has very good clean tones. The neck pick up has that fullness to it and the bridge pick up has just enough bite for my taste. I am still saving up for a Vox AC4TV or a Tech 21 Trademark 30 for it to really push the guitar's potential. Since this is my first Epi or a Les Paul for that matter, I really have no way of knowing how good the pickups really are. But for the current set up I have, I like it a lot. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's set up was just spot on. I changed the stock strings with a regular slinky without a hitch. Everything fell spot on. I tried using a D'Addario EXL115 11-49 but developed a buzz on the low E and A string. Nothing that a quarter turn on the bridge can't cure. As I have said earlier, the finish is just immaculate. I just stared at it for the first five minutes of owning it. I didn't even bothered to play it first. I was mesmerized. Can't blame a noob. The satin finish at the back gives e a bit of comfort knowing that I don't have to be anal about the finish being scratched. The satin finish seems durable. The only thing that really annoys me is the way the knobs were put in to the pots. Its all crooked. Of the 4 control knobs only one seems to be placed straight. I know its purely cosmetic and it doesn't affect the sound, but it could have been improved. The guy who's hammering on the knobs could have been corrected since. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Hmmm. I can't really comment on this yet. But I would rather buy a I would use Schaller locks than to use the included strap lock. The design is ok but Schaller's would be better. I have hit the headstock against a wall and I have already nicked it, I have managed to scratch the headstock too with the guitar strings while changing. I really can't tell if the finish on the body would hold. I can't even start to think that the finish would somehow be damaged. But heft of the guitar gives it a feel that it will last. The switch seems solid, the knobs don't produce a scratchy sound when I turn them fast, output jack seems solid. // 8

Overall Impression: I just love this guitar. I really can't tell how good it sounds since I'm just using an SP-10 for the moment. But the clean tones on this guitar through that small amp is just perfect. Defined, clear and yet warm. Strumming on the neck pick up just saturates my bedroom with sweet sweet sounds. The bridge pick ups makes the SP 10 squeel. The coil tapped tones are just as clear a bit more crystalline though. Different from a Strat's tone but if you need a Strat tone, use a Strat, right? // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014