Les Paul Tribute Plus Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 11/05/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Les Paul Tribute Plus
This guitar has a very powerful sound. Just sitting there, it steals the show from my Fenders with its impeccable finish, its flame maple top, and its neck inlays. I'd highly recommend this guitar and would definitely replace it with the same model if lost or stolen. The thing that I like best about this guitar is the beefy sound.
 8.8
 9.6
reviews (2) pictures (6) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Tribute Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 07, 2013

Purchased from: Groth Music, MN, USA

Features: - 2013 guitar, Made in China - Solid mahogany body with flame maple top - Gloss (most certainly polyurethane) finish is impeccable - Heavy guitar at nearly 10 pounds - Pickups are Gibson USA '57 Classic humbuckers - Pickups can be used in split coil mode via the tone controls - Grover locking tuners - There are four controls: two volume and two tone - Nice Epiphone case included - Strap locks are also included although I opted for Schallers instead - I believe there are 22 frets (1 fret above high C) - Possibly the most important feature is that the neck and frets are very smooth -- something that not all Epiphones have. This guitar definitely got the attention to finish that it deserves as it is a very beautiful guitar. // 10

Sound: I am definitely a Fender guy and like all things Fender, but I needed a guitar for hard rock and metal. Testing out this guitar at GC, I felt that it had the tone that I wanted. But since I've had it home, I've come to enjoy the beefy tones that it puts out. The bass strings are very powerful and crisp while the treble strings are very bright and also crisp. The Gibson pickups are very strong. While I bought it for metal and hard rock, I've ended up mostly playing rock and roll with it on a Twin Reverb preset on my Fender Mustang III amp. It is a very lively guitar that is a lot of fun to play. The only issue I have with the sound is that the treble strings are a tad too bright. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I tried this guitar out at the music store, there was fret buzz up and down the neck. But the store manager easily adjusted it out. However, it still needed a full setup when I got it home (something I was happy to do). I had a hard time falling in love with the guitar when I got it home because the bass strings were so dead. But a new set of D'Addarios cured that. The hardware and every bit of finish on the guitar is perfect. It is a stunning guitar. Now that the guitar is well adjusted, it is a joy to play. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar seems very well made and I believe would hold up to the rigors of gigging. I put strap locks on it. It is so heavy that I believe it could easily come off of a strap without locks. For the money, it is an extremely well made guitar. The Tribute does not come with a pickguard. I tried putting a Gibson pickguard on it, but it did not fit as the pickups were too close together. However, after playing for a few months, I have yet to put a scratch on it because the top falls away from the string. So now I'm glad I didn't put a pick guard on it. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I'm a Fender guy. But I find myself reaching for this guitar about 30% of the time. It has a very powerful sound. It's not great for long jam sessions because of the weight. My Fenders are better for that. But just sitting there, it steals the show from my Fenders with its impeccable finish, its flame maple top, and its neck inlays. I'd highly recommend this guitar and would definitely replace it with the same model if lost or stolen. The thing that I like best about this guitar is the beefy sound. The strong pickups with powerful tight bass and bright treble coupled with the almost endless sustain provided by the solid mahogany body give you a feeling of power that's a cut above other guitars.

// 9

Les Paul Tribute Plus Reviewed by: MontelThomas99, on november 05, 2014

Features: This Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus Outfit was made in 2013. The Les Paul has got 22 standard size (not jumbo) frets. The Les Paul has got a beautiful carved top. Which is also solid contrary to popular belief :p. It also has a flamed maple top which is book matched perfectly thank you very much. It has a Les Paul style body (no-duh. Who made these questions?) It's also got a Locktone Tune-O-Matic bridge with a stopbar which I have not had any trouble, with so far, though I've only had it for two months at the time of writing. It has active electronics. Which work. Very well. It's got two volume knobs and two tone knobs for the pickups and the tones are the knobs which are the push and pull coil tap knobs. It's also got a three-way pickup selector, which seems right for a two pickup guitar and it has coil tap which I mentioned before. It comes with Grover locking tuners stock and they haven't gone out of tune on me while I was playing (but the guitar is new) It came with a case, tools, poster, sticker and it has a lifetime warranty. Pretty good for the cash if I say so myself. // 10

Sound: This suits my music style really well since I play punk rock, grunge, classic rock and some rockabilly. I is a Yamaha GA-15 amp and it sounds beautiful coming from such a shoddy amp. No effects except a Behringer Vintage Phaser sometimes. It's onto noisy if you want it to be noisy (and I love it when it's noisy). I keep treble at 9, bass at 7 and mid at 6. It's got a beautiful full sound and it's not really bright but bright enough. The guitar has a very wide variety of sounds since it has coil tap, which makes my humbuckers into single coils basically. I don't really keep the coil tap on but I use to when I want to keep the neighbours happy. It's got a great variety of tones and with a better selection of pedals it would be the best guitar for the price. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar the action was pretty high (but that was cause Sky Music didn't alter it) and it's really simple to drop the action on the guitar. It literally took me 5 minutes and I'm pretty new to guitars. The pickups were adjusted well to what I liked. I admit that the neck pickup wit too perfectly for me and I needed to heighten it, but otherwise it's beautiful. The top is perfect. Literally. It looks like one piece when I know it isn't. As good as a Gibson! Definitely! I couldn't find any faults with the bridge but like I said, I'm pretty new to this. I couldn't find any flaws with the guitar other than it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock. It really should though cause the quality of it is so immense. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would definitely withstand live playing. Even mine. Cause I jump around the stage and I go insane but it could definitely work. The strap buttons seem solid but I'm not going to risk it so I'll get some solid strap locks. I can definitely depend on it. I wouldn't use a backup. And the finish is beautiful. Gibson quality. Maybe better. What can I say? I'm an Epiphone guy. But the finish would really withstand my playing. And my playing is horrible. Even if the finish wouldn't withstand it, I would love to see it worn out. Worn out guitars look sick as. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar definitely suits my style of music since I play punk rock, classic rock, grunge, rockabilly and progressive rock. This guitar is definitely a perfect match. I have been playing for a year and a half and I own a Behringer Vintage Phaser pedal, Yamaha EG112C electric guitar and a Yamaha GA-15 amp. There's nothing I wish that I'd asked before I bought this product other than "where can I get Seymour Duncan pickups?". If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy another one. I love everything about it, the tone, the looks, the overall feel, and the look that everyone has when they see that this quality guitar has Epiphone on the headstock. I hate nothing about it. Except that it should have P-90s but I don't hate it cause of that. My favourite feature isn't really a feature. It's just the playability, it's so easy to play and anyone could fix it up. I compared it to a Gibson Studio and the Epiphone Les Paul Custom. I chose this because the finish and the wood was better quality than the Gibson and the Epiphone and the pickups were Gibson '57s so I took it. I think it's sorta rare to find an Epiphone stock with Gibson pickups in it. I still wish it had P-90s though... But I'm working on it:) // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Standard Plustop Pro 8.4 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014