Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 12/19/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst
With the same vaunted visual vibe of the original, this Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul has all the fixin's 5-ply top, back, and headstock binding; bound rosewood fretboard; split diamond mother-of-pearl headstock inlay; and 4-ply pickguard. And it's got something special a brilliant silverburst finish set off by chrome hardware. Dual humbuckers on an alder top with mahogany back and set neck.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.4
reviews (5) pictures (2) 58 comments vote for this gear:
Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst Reviewed by: PaperStSoapCo, on july 04, 2007

Features: With the same vaunted visual vibe of the original, this Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul has all the fixin's 5-ply top, back, and headstock binding; bound rosewood fretboard; split Diamond mother-of-pearl headstock inlay; and 4-ply pickguard. And it's got something special a brilliant silverburst finish set off by chrome hardware. Dual humbuckers on an alder top with mahogany back and set neck. Other then that: 22 frets, creme binding, 2 chrome covered alnico pickups, Grover tuners (non-locking I think), 2 vol, 2 tone, and 3-way selector switch. And it came with a cable and I bought a hard shell case along with it. // 10

Sound: So far I've been playing a lot of hard rock and metal. It sounds great with distortion (But not too high gain). Clean is beautiful, especially with delay. And overall, with this guitar I feel like I could play in almost any genre. I like using the bridge pickup for the distorted sounds as well as leads, but the neck pickups it perfect for chords and strumming. Very warm and full sound. But I mosltly use the bridge because I like the brighter sound that it gives off, but still warm. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It plays very nicely. Feels very natural. The guitar is fairly light weight and is very easy to play. I was shocked. I bought this guitar online, which means I didn't have the chance to play it before I bought it (you should never do that) but I was very very pleased. And this is a beautiful guitar as well. The Silverburst finish is what had sold it to me, and it looks way better in person! The only thing I found wrong with it is a slight buzzing at the 3rd fret, 5th string. Hardly a problem. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only had this guitar a little over a week now, but I think this would be my main guitar on stage. I think my Epi will hold up well on stage. But it would be wise to always have a back up. With a Planet Waves strap, I'll never have to worry about dropping this guitar. As long as take care of it (and I will) I think this guitar will last me a good long while. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar will do well by certain rock standards, but it isn't good for loads of distortion. So I might consider changing the pickups sooner or later. My other guitar is an ESP LTD F-100FM (wrote a review for that as well) and this Epi is far better then that. Even though I'm playing through a Spider 2 amp, everything is great. I love the sound I get. I'm a Tool fan, and when I play the intro to "Right In Two" with the right delay setting on my amp, it sounds just like the album, I swear to god! And if anyone tries to steal this guitar I will cut thier face. I mean it. I think what I love the most about it is the look. I don't think you can find another Silverburst Les Paul in this price range. This is a great value. Get this guitar before it becomes a collectors item. // 10

Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst Reviewed by: rbj1313, on july 20, 2007

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: With the same vaunted visual vibe of the original, this Epiphone Limited Edition Les Paul has all the fixin's 5-ply top, back, and headstock binding; bound rosewood fretboard; split Diamond mother-of-pearl headstock inlay; and 4-ply pickguard. And it's got something special a brilliant silverburst finish set off by chrome hardware. Dual humbuckers on an alder top with mahogany back and set neck. // 9

Sound: I play mostly metal, heavy rock, and some classic rock. The Les Paul has a nice chunk to it. The pickups gave out a little hum but nothing too big. I play through a Line 6 Spider II amp on insane and it sounds fantastic with my genres of music. It also has a very nice clean sound. It sounds sort of like Zakk Wylde's clean tone, at least for me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When my Silverburst arrived I was stoked to see the box. I pulled it out and I was amazed. Everything was set up very nicely. The action was set a little high, but no so high that it made a difference. The pick up height was perfect. The stock strings that came with it were strong, lasted me about a month with regular playing. Also, the finish is beautiful, as you can tell from the pictures. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You could probably take this guitar and throw it of 1000 ft. cliff, then sacrifice the fiddle to Pele in Hawaii by throwing it in a volcano and it still would be playable. I would definately use this guitar in a gig without a back up for sure. The strap buttons are very solid, and the finish looks like it won't be chipping anytime soon. // 10

Overall Impression: If this was stolen, I would definately go and buy another. It's well worth it. I love the finish especially though. The silverburst is way different than your regular sunburst. I did compare the silverburst to the Epi Les Paul Standard, but I went with the silverburst (now it's only just 50 dollars more than the Standard). This guitar is definately worth the money. // 9

Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst Reviewed by: CrossBack7, on july 16, 2008

Features: This 2008 Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst is truly a beautiful guitar. Made in China, inspected in the USA, this guitar is not only beautiful to look at but also to hear. It has 22 frets with Diamond pearl inlays on a rosewood fretboard. It features two Alnico Humbucker laid in an alder & mahogany body. The neck is set. The finish is absolutely flawless and really makes the guitar stand out along with the chrome hardware. It has two volume knobs, along with two other tone knobs. It has a three-way selector along with a Tune-O-Matic bridge and Grover tuners. It came with a crummy cable and allen wrench. I would've liked a case with it is my only complaint. // 9

Sound: I mostly play rock/alt/metal, and this guitar is well-suited for all of them. I can get an amazing lead/clean sound from the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup is perfect for rythm. I use it with an AG-10 practice amp, by no means a good amp, along with a DigiTech RP350 Multi-Effects Processor, and it can produce some very good sounds. I can make it noisy if I so choose too, but it's a very clean sounding guitar overall. I've been able to produce every sound that I've needed from the guitar. I really enjoy playing it clean. It has a very bright, sustained sound, but it has no trouble laying down the heaviest distortion either. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set-up fairly well when I received it, though the action was a tad high for me. The pickups were at the correct height, and I noticed no flaws. The finish is absolutely amazing. It's sure to grab your friends' attentions. It even came relatively well tuned. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels very solid, and I'm not afraid to really shread on it. I've had no problems with any of the hardware, not even the loosening of the input jack, a common problem on even the most expensive guitars. The strap buttons are solid, though I'd probably get some good strap locks if I was playing in a gig. It seems like a very dependable guitar, but I would never play any guitar in a gig without a backup by choice. The finish is what really makes this guitar stand out. I don't see it fading anytime soon either. // 10

Overall Impression: I enjoy everything from the chug-chug of a good metal riff, to the smooth lead of a more mellow rock song, to pure shredding. And the great thing about this guitar is that I feel that I could play just about any style with it. I've been playing for about two and a half years, and this guitar is perfect for those looking to step out of the beginner stage. I own an Aria STG-003 Strat knock-off, along with an Asheville acoustic. I use an AG-10 practice amp, as I've yet to have a need for anything better. I also have a DigiTech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal that really lets me experiment with different sounds. I'd advise any beginner to buy one to keep them interested and having fun while learning. I'd most certainly buy another if it was lost. I compared it to a Standard Fender Stratocaster and choose it because it was cheaper, better looking, just as playable, and better suited my style. I love how it looks, as well as how it plays. I feel like it really makes me a better player. I'll probably replace the pickups within a year or so, but the Alnico's it comes with really aren't too bad. // 10

Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst Reviewed by: kylepianoman, on december 19, 2011

Features: The guitar was made in May of 2008 in Korea, and I purchased it in October of 2008. There are 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard, mahogany neck with pearloid inlays, carved mahogany body, with an alder top. The headstock features Grover tuners. The volume knobs work, but I feel like they don't work fade smoothly. The tone knobs work fine though. // 8

Sound: This guitar has fit me as my style evolved from alternative to a more diverse range including prog, post-hardcore, reggae, jazz, indie, and even some classical. I run my guitar through a DigiTech RP1000 and a Peavey Vypyr 75 watt amp. Combined with the digitech, I am able to get pretty much any sound I want out of this guitar. The heavy body and pickups have a nice thick sound to it. The neck pickup can become muddy when using distortion, but sounds perfect playing clean and the bridge has a nice tone to it for a stock pickup, but I would like it to be a little more hot. While it sounds very much like a Gibson Les Paul, you can hear discernible differences in the sound, but the price difference makes up for that. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect for me right of the factory, and I had it set up and did not notice too big of a difference, except for the pickups which needed adjustment. The neck wans't properly taped off on the body so a little bit of the finish is on the binding but that is no big deal. On Where Where the fretboard attaches to the neck by the headstock though, it wasn't pressed exactly flush and there is a crack but I had that repaired after I had an accident with my guitar. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've had this guitar for 3 years, and it's been pretty reliable. I play in my church's band and the only problems I've had there are a loose strap button (my fault from stripping the hole) and a loose input socket, which is common on lower end guitars. The bridge had rusted about a years ago I guess from sweat buildup so I had swapped it out for a Gotoh bridge, and a few of the screws close to where my picking hand lies have rusted as well. The pickup selector has become loose a few times but nothing I couldn't fix myself. The guitar took a nasty fall when my dog knocked it over and there was a crack in the neck by the headstock but that was fixed, so the wood seems sturdy. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar has been great for the the past 3 years I've had it. I've been able to get any sound I want from it without fail. If it were stolen or lost, I would not buy it again as I'm saving up for a PRS Custom 24. If I were wanting to replace this guitar though, I would more likely buy a used Gibson for a similar or slightly more expensive price than I paid for this. I love the value for the price, but had I the experience I have now I probably would have gone with a smaller brand such as Washburn or Agile that produces similar or even better quality instruments for cheaper or comparable prices. I hate the weight of it, and over the few years it has really messed my shoulder up, which is one of the reasons I'd like to get a PRS. I would replace the pickups if I weren't saving for another guitar, but the stock ones more than suffice. // 8

Limited Edition Les Paul Custom Silverburst Reviewed by: the83strat, on december 15, 2011

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: I love this guitar. I've had it for 2 years now and the rosewood fretboard still plays like it was the first day I've played it. The treble humbucker sounds spectacular but the neck one is really muddy sounding. But it still holds up to Gibson (or better than). // 9

Sound: I play alternative or alternative rock and this is the best guitar for that genre. I run it into my pedalboard (Boss TU-2, Ibanez TS-9, BBE Green Screamer, Boss DD-20) into a Vox AC15C1 Custom. It sounds great for a very overdriven British amp style sound especially with my Vox's master volume cranked at shows. The only thing I have to dock the rating on is the neck humbucker. It is EXTREMELY muddy but I plan to swap it out for a Gibson '57 classic soon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory settings are ok on this guitar but once you professionally pay and get it set up, its a whole different story. Put a pair of Ernie Ball 10's on it and it screams awesome. The finish is just beautiful. People alway compliment me on the beauty of this guitar when I play live. The toggle switch is kinda flimsy but it works ok. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will stand live playing. I have broken the neck (was playing and the strap came off the guitar and it took a neck first dive into the stage). This is my main guitar for shows. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this is probably gonna be the best guitar I will own. It will definitely be my favorite guitar even in the years to come and I don't think I will ever be able to get rid of it. I would recommend this guitar to anyone. If it were stolen or lost, I would not hesitate to go buy another one. I love Epiphone and they make amazing quality guitars. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014