LP Extreme Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 09/23/2005 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: LP Extreme
This guitar has a select grade Indian Rosewood fingerboard, "Super-Slide" satin finish, the new E-Series "Ultra Hot" covered humbucker pickups with E-logo die-stamped covers, a hard maple set neck, new "E-Wing" headstock and has an "E" logo inlay on the fingerboard.
 7.4
 5.8
review (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
LP Extreme Reviewed by: Calum_Barrow, on september 23, 2005

Purchased from: Friend

Features: It was made in 2001 as part of the E-Series line of Epiphone Guitars, and named the "LP Extreme." It boasts the same features as the world famous Les Paul; two chrome covered PAFs, individual volume/tone controls, 3 way-toggle, 22 frets, Tune-O-Matic bridge and a carved top. It's a little thicker than a standard Les Paul so I'm told, and the pickups are apparently better too. To my knowledge, it's got a mahogany body and neck, and the top is a plastic one, as it's in a Dealer Exclusive Limited Edition white pearloid. The neck and back are both finished in a gloss black finish. Tuners are some random die cast ones that came on it, but they're rather good for some no name tuners, and hold tuning for ages. I bought it with a padded Fender Deluxe gigbag, but I bought a hardcase and now use the Fender one for my Strat. // 10

Sound: I play a wide range of music; rock, blues, folk, country, jazz, and others, but whichever genre I use this guitar for, I can almost guarantee that I will get the sound I'm looking for. I play through a Fender Frontman (which I don't like at all) and a Zoom 3030 effects processor. I often use the middle position for cleans, as it gives a full, warm sound which is lovely. The bridge pickup gives a nice edge and has a cutting tone with distortion with the tone on 10. again, I can get almost any tone I want with distortion on too. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought the guitar second hand, so the pickups and action, bridge etc. had all been adjusted correctly. The finish and build quality have no flaws whatsoever, and everything fits/looks as it should. One thing I can pick on though, is that on occasions, my bridge pickup's noise will reduce by a lot, and you'll hardly be able to hear it. Wiggle the toggle around, and it back on. If the problem persists, ill be replacing the toggle with a Switchcraft or something. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar live, but no matter what guitar I was playing or whatever music I was playing I would always play with a backup. It does seem like it would stand a show, but I haven't yet tried it. There is one thing that isn't holding up very well, and the strap button (more so the neck one than the bridge one) has a habit of coming loose. I'll take it off and shove a few cocktail sticks in the hole and fix it tomorrow probably. The finish will probably stand for a long time, and it's only got a tiny bit of bucklerash on the back. All you can see is a few very small scratches, but you can only see these when you angle the light properly. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I am very pleased with this instrument. I've had it for nearly a year now, and I love it. It's a little heavy compared to my Strats, but nothing I can't handle. I probably would have chose a standard Les Paul over this with a flame top and such, but for 200 with a gigbag and a full set up, I can't really argue. It's a little different, and I get a lot of people commenting and asking what it is. I would buy it again if it was lost/stolen, providing I could find such a rare instrument again. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014