Negative Flying V Review

review (1) pictures (1) 9 comments vote for this gear:
Negative Flying V Reviewed by: timothy95, on august 03, 2012

Price paid: C$ 450

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: It was made in 2009, in Japan. 22 frets, on a mahogany neck with maple fretboard. White Mahogany Flying V body. Locktone tune-o-matic bridge, mini Qtuners. Passive Alnico V humbuckers. 2 Volume and 1 tone speed knobs. It's a really impressive looking guitar in my opinion. // 8

Sound: Personally, I really enjoy the sounds I've gotten from this guitar. The clean tones are just fantastic, really warm sounding kind of like a Les Paul. And the distorted sounds are really good, especially when I use my Boss MT-2 on the clean channel on my Marshall MG30FX. I found the settings I had on other channels were a bit weaker though, nothing a little tweaking of the amp couldn't handle. On the distorted channels, it has a very bright yet at the same time, very full sound. It's a very versatile guitar everything from Thrash metal to a nice blues/jazz sound (I mostly play thrash though). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guy at the store set it up for me and I couldn't ask for any better! A few flaws with the finish though. It seems some of the paint from the front of the headstock had started to drip down the edges a bit, nothing to noticeable though. Also there feels like there are small clumps of painted that could have used a little sanding after the paint job. Over all though it's really great playing it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely trustworthy for playing live, Although anybody with half a brain will know to bring a backup guitar, you never know when a string is just gonna pop. The strap buttons on the the guitar are very solid, the definitely won't come out our slip the strap of. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I'm very impressed by this guitar, especially because when I first sat down with it at the store I wasn't quite sure about it, but after a while I was in love with it. I mostly play Thrash metal, and it's a perfect match, considering a lot of the great thrash metal players also used Flying v's. I also own an Ibanez RGA42 and I gotta say, I'm thinking of selling it because this V is so good and it's been getting all the attention. If it was lost or stolen I probably would get another one if I had the money for it! My favourite feature is the pickups, like I said they are absolutely fantastic! The only thin I wish it had would be the Vibrola bridges you see on older Flying V's. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/22/2014