Prophecy LP Custom GX Review

reviews (3) pictures (2) 27 comments vote for this gear:
Prophecy LP Custom GX Reviewed by: LouieTM, on april 27, 2009

Price paid: € 549

Purchased from: Max Guitar Store

Features: The guitar was made in December 2007 in China. It has a mahogany body with quilt maple top, finished in a gloss Black Cherry. The set mahogany neck is Epiphone's own "SpeedTaper" neck with a slim D profile and satin finish, with 24 jumbo frets on a 24.75"-scale ebony fretboard. Two Gibson Dirty Fingers humbuckers are controlled via a volume (push/pull coil-tap) and a tone knob plus the typical LP 3-way selector. The entire hardware has a gold finish: LockTone stopbar/Tune-O-Matic bridge set, volume & tone knobs, Grover tuners and Epiphone straplocks. // 9

Sound: I play different styles, from blues to metal. Thanks to the Dirty Fingers this guitar has incredible amounts of sustain for a passive pick-up, while delivering a thick, distorted sound, comparable to that of active pick-ups. Pull the coil-tap volume knob and you have instant access to the a perfectly clear single-coil sound. The guitar seems to deliver anything from 60's classic hard rock to 90's grunge. I wouldn't use it to play metal, though it could handle it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought it only needed a minor bridge lift. It sounds perfect now and even with such a flat fretboard (14" radius), 2-note bends on the high frets don't mute at all. The satin finish on the back of the neck can cause some unwanted friction, but I plan to have it polished/glossed soon. The overall quality of the finish is impressive. The weight is very well balanced, unlike other LPs the neck doesn't drop down when you let go. However, like most LPs, it's a heavy guitar that sometimes be tiring to play for more than 2 hours. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems like a solid guitar, very well put together. The action of the tuners, knobs and switches is solid and precise, inspiring confidence in the guitar's reliability. I immediately replaced the factory strap buttons with the strap locks that came with the guitar, so that's not a concern anymore. I wouldn't gig with it without a back-up, but that's valid for any guitar, it has nothing to do with this one. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a serious alternative to guitars with active pick-ups, when you're not really looking for that Mesa Boogie sound but still want a thick, powerfull sound. I'd probably buy it again if it were stolen. I chose it after comparing it with a Gibson Explorer (496R/500T), a Slash Signature Epiphone LP (Alnico Pro II) and a ESP LTD EC401VF (Seymour Duncan JB/59), while looking for a guitar with passive pickups. I decided to go with this one because it had the sound I was looking for and I never regretted it. // 9

Prophecy LP Custom GX Reviewed by: straybeat, on august 11, 2011

Purchased from: MF

Features: Let's see, I have the black cherry LP Prophecy GX and have owned it for a couple of months now. It was made in February 2010 in China at the Qingdao plant. It has a 24 fret ebony fretboard which is smooth as silk and covered in blade MOP inlays and jumbo frets. The scale, unlike most have reported is not 24.75", but 25.00". It's a full first fret longer than my Gibson LP. The body is exactly the same size as my Gibby and the fretboard stops in the body the same place as my Gibson too. The body is 2-piece with a mahogany back and the quilted maple cap. It has a mahogany neck also covered in a satin finish. I like it because sweaty hands don't stick to it which makes it very fast. It has all gold hardware with your Standard tune-o-matic Bridge and stop tailpiece, but I added a gold Les Trem to mine. Even with the Les Trem it holds tune just fine and has Grover Machine Heads. It comes with the Gibson Dirty Fingers pups which are very bright with my setup and just scream. It has coil tapping, but only 1 volume and 1 tone pot (the new model coming has the Standard 4 pots), so it's not for everybody, but the tones that come out of it are amazing! Ever hear a Les Paul sound like a Strat? Mine does! It also has the Standard LP 3-position toggle Switch for the pups. This is also easily the heaviest Les Paul I have ever owned (about 40). What surprised me most is that it has that solid 70's Gibson LP Custom feel to it. It definitely doesn't feel like your Standard Epi! // 10

Sound: My playing and writing style is very 70's hard rock. Everyone tells me I have a real Clapton/David Gilmour flair (thanks folks, I'll take that). I use all your Standard effects, wah, flange, chorus, echo, etc. Running through a Peavey XXL head into Custom cabs. I'm not very big on describing sounds, it does what you'd expect a Les Paul to do and then some with all the tone options. I'm an old fart and don't play metal or anything, I'm more of a Frank Marino player and it covers Frank excellently! I have played Les Pauls all my life and returned some Epi's before because they just didn't feel or sound quite right. This is most definitely a keeper, plus it's one-of-a-kind making it even more desireable. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup sucked. When I got it the strings were probably close to a quarter inch high. I cranked the tune-o-matic down to the strings being .040" off the frets and have no buzz or dead spots anywhere! As for everything else it had no flaws anywhere. Fit and finish were good, not a ding or scratch anywhere on it. I changed the strings right off the bat. It comes with 10's, but I use 8's, hence the tune-o-matic change. I set the intonation, but only 3 strings were a hair sharp. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Can't speak yet to reliability and durability? So far I have only used it and home and a couple of practices, so it hasn't been banged around yet? // 10

Overall Impression: Been playing for 43 years, always in the 70's vein, Nugent, BOC, Pat Travers, etc. This guitar, of course, handles all of my style easily. As for my love of this thing, I used to be the snobbiest of LP purists in the 70's. We all used to stand around and scoff at Epiphones, "Oh look, a fake Les Paul, how cute". I swore I would never own one. Never picked one up to try. Now I will never pay high dollar for a Gibson again. If this is the direction Epiphone is headed in it's a good one. From now on when I shop for a new axe I will definitely look at Epi's first to see what they offer! // 10

Prophecy LP Custom GX Reviewed by: franzosten, on april 04, 2012

Price paid: € 599

Purchased from: Dragon Music (Italy)

Features: Push pull knobs configuration give to this guitar great versatility and very good clean sounds. I really appreciated the neck, quite fast and shredding oriented. Case included. // 9

Sound: This one is perfect from blues to heavy rock. Aggressive and HOT sound, infinite sustain. Not the typical les Paul, though. It screams! // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, the set up from the factory was dreadful but after fixing it, everything was ok. Great action, fantastic looking guitar, everything works perfectly, not noisy at all. The finish are not top class, of course. They are good enough for me, anyway! The tuning works perfectly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I think this one it's perfect for live playing, everything on it seems made to last forever. No problem at all. // 10

Overall Impression: Ok, I like this guitar very much. It's not a typical Les Paul, so you have to get used to it and to the aggressive sound of Dirty Fingers pickups. You gotta take your time to find your own tone with it. I love playing this guitar, it is not that heavy, it's lovely and comfortable to play and it has his own personal character. I play since I was 12, now I'm 33. I love playing rock, hard rock and some metal. I use to play this guitar plugged into an Engl Screamer all tube amp. Its sound bites! It's great for me using this one live, along with a great Ibanez RG Prestige with Seymour Duncan pickups. I can do different things with both of them during the show, and it's just great. I don't consider this guitar worst than my Ibanez, just different. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014