SG G-400 Review

7.7
reviews (6) pictures (3) 48 comments vote for this gear:
SG G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 19, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

Features: Here are some specs listed on the Epiphone website: - Body Material: Mahogany - Neck Material: Mahogany - Neck Shape: SlimTaper(TM) - Neck Joint: Glued-In, Set Neck - Scale Length:24.75" - Fingerboard Material:Rosewood - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Nut Width: 1.68" - Hardware: Chrome - Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 Ratio - Neck Pickup:Alnico Classic (TM) Humbucker - Bridge Pickup: Alnico Classic Plus (TM) Humbucker - Controls: 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone. 1Bridge Volume, 1-Bridge Tone - Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal - Bridge: LockTone(TM) Tune-o-matic - Tailpiece: LockTone(TM) Stopbar - Warranty: Epiphone Limited Lifetime - Picture: http://epiphone.com/news.asp?NewsID=2023 - Cable and Owner's manual included. In addition, available in Heritage cherry and ebony finishes, and has 22 frets. The tuners are Grover locking tuners and I have played with the guitar for days and it RARELY goes out of tune, however a few times while tuning down, the 1st string snapped. // 8

Sound: I've only played for 1 year and this is the only guitar I've owned but I've played others at stores including Gibsons. I usually play hard rock/heavy metal like AC/DC, KISS, and Led Zeppelin. This guitar is perfect for the genre and the treble pickup, which I use most of the time, is amazing. It's almost as good as a Gibson. The rhythm pickup should ONLY be used on clean and gets muddy while distorted. Everything distorted sounds better with the treble pickup, even stuff meant to be played on the rhythm pickup. But it is still good for playing clean. Though I usually play hard rock I still dabble in other genres and this SG definitely adapts and is great for slow blues. The only other problems with the sound are very high up the fret board, the 6th string buzzes and the 1st and 2nd strings are sometimes muted. I have tried adjusting the Bridge to no avail. Maybe it's just the way I'm playing? Somewhat doubt it. I still give it a 7 because the treble pickup is so sweet. I usually play on a Line 6 Spider IV 15 amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar I didn't play it first, first because this wasn't the one on the wall (I played the one on the wall, probably should have played this one too) and also because I couldn't play guitar. Someone at Sam Ash set it up and it sounded great except the action was slightly low, causing some buzzing. My finish was in cherry and it was either 1 piece of mahogany or perfectly bookmatched. The finish was shiny, awesome, and made me feel like I owned a SG worth $5, 000! (A Les Paul's cherry sunburst finish still beats it, but that's it). // 10

Reliability & Durability: In the year I've owned it, I've banged it into my bed's headboard numerous times but only has 1 small dent only noticeable by running your finger across it. I've read other reviews where nothing happens to their guitar ever. Mine's had some issues, all under warranty, like my treble pickup randomly stopped working, and one of the tone knobs kept turning and turning without stopping. Also the included cord blew out after 7 or 8 months but I guess that was expected. All of these mishaps, except the cord, were easily solved at Sam Ash. By the way, these were real problems and not just me not realizing something or being dumb because I was a beginner. Lastly, the strap buttons SUCK and they fail every minute and a half. But, I easily fixed this with straplocks. The finish hasn't changed a bit since I got it. // 5

Overall Impression: This guitar definitely fits my needs and handles my music excellently. It is as good or better then all other Epiphones in most areas. It looks very close to a Gibson besides the Epiphone logo on the headstock. For 1/4 of the price of a Gibson it is almost 3/4 the sound. I am very happy with this guitar despite it's bugs, which I hope I have stamped out. The only reason I would stop using this guitar is to upgrade to a Gibson. If it were stolen, and I didn't have the money to buy a Gibson, I would definitely buy this again. // 8

SG G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2012

Features: - Body Material: Indonesian Mahogany - Neck Material: Indonesian Mahogany - Neck Shape: SlimTaper 1960's D-profile - Neck Joint: Glued, Set Neck - Scale Length:24.75" - Fingerboard Material:Rosewood - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Nut Width: 1.68" - Hardware: Chrome - Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 Locking Tuners - Neck Pickup: Epiphone Alnico Classic Humbucker - Bridge Pickup: Epiphone Alnico Classic Plus Humbucker - Controls: 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone. 1-Bridge Volume, 1-Bridge Tone - Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal - Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic - Tailpiece: LockTone Stopbar - Extras: Short Cable, Manual, Epiphone Sticker, Angle-Key. // 8

Sound: If your looking for a really raw, crunchy tone, this is the guitar for you! I've been playing for almost three years now, and this is one of the best all 'round guitars I've played. Given it's not a Gibson, but for the price you pay, it really is brilliant value for money! Using the right pedals and effects, you can get any sound, from AC/DC to Blink-182. I play a bit of everything, Punk, Metal, Classic Rock, Drum n Bass, and it works well for it all. I run it through a Boss Metal Zone, Original Crybaby and a Boss Tuner, into a Roland Cube, and using this set-up, it sound great. The cleans are nice and warm, sounds good finger picking, an the distortions as I said, are really crunchy which I love. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the action was ok. I had to adjust the p/up height to my liking, but other guitarists mightn't, it's just to your own taste I guess. I also had to lower the strings slightly, but again, each guitarist would have different preferences. The strap buttons were decent, but I'd recommend getting strap locks for added protection. This guitar is VERY top heavy, and if you let it go at all the head drops to the floor, and I haven't found any way to fix this as of yet. Apart from that, the finish (Cherry) is beautiful, nice and shiny. After gigging this guitar for over a year now, there's a few marks, Burns and dints on the body and head, but I like it that, it makes it looked used. // 8

Reliability & Durability: As I've said, I've been gigging with this SG for over a year. It's had it's fair share of drops and bangs, and is a little rattly as a result. A string snapped after a week, but you should get a proper set of strings if your getting a new guitar, Ernie Balls or something that will last. The neck warped a few months back, but it was easily fixed. My lead snapped in the in jack too, but didn't loosen any of the connections. The input jack does come lose over time however, but I've learned to expect this from Epiphone. I'd say I still have another couple of years out of this guitar, it's still in good shape considering what I've put it through. Overall, it is reliable, but I'd use a back up just in case. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, it's a great guitar at a good price. Obviously its not going to be as good as a Gibson, but it's as close as you'll get. It works well with my stage set up, but if it was stolen, I honestly wouldn't buy it again. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I'd just go for a different style. If your looking for an affordable guitar for playing metal, rock or punk, then I'd recommend this, you won't be disappointed. I'd also suggest you get a hard case for it, the neck isn't exactly the sturdiest of necks. // 8

SG G-400 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 19, 2012

Features: - 22 frets - rosewood fretboard - "grover" tuners - 2 vol, 2 tone knobs - 3 way pickup selector - 24 3/4 scale - alnico humbucking pickups - made in Japan 2009. // 8

Sound: I play mostly hard rock like Van Halen, AC/DC, and Led Zeppelin, dabbling a little bit in blues and punk rock, this guitar fits those styles just fine. I am currently set up with a Vox AD50VT for bedroom practice and a Blackheart Handsome Devil Head with a Marshall cab for band practice, this guitar ventures into most realms of music perfectly fine, while being a bit twangy in the bridge pickup on clean settings. The intonation is not so good on it for solos, very sharp so you can hit 2 notes octaves apart and they would sound different. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory setup was VERY bad but not that hard to fix. The action was ungodly high and the frets buzzed all over the place. The intonation was terrible. Again, only took about an hour with a screwdriver and some .09 gauge slinkies to fix. Pickups were set up high. Too high. They were really harsh, not hard to fix but inconvenient. Bridge was (you guessed it) HIGH but easy to adjust with a flathead. I like the tune-o matic bridge for it's ease but not for its abilities. Guitar looks beautiful and all electronics are functioning and sturdy. YOU WILL NEED A PROPER SETUP FOR THIS GUITAR TO SOUND GOOD. // 4

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems built like a tank. No complaints here. I would definitely play without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: Pretty nice for the hard rock style music. I really wish I had played the one I was going to actually buy... BAD setup. PLEASE READ - change the strings right away! The.10s sound like abaolute shit. I would more than likely buy another one, great value for the money, I really like the easy access devil horns body shape but I hate the intonation in the higher frets. It's like the sound just drops out. Very fragile tone compared to my Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro but with the right pickups it would sound bada-s. I like it alot. // 8

SG G-400 Reviewed by: zimbabre, on october 31, 2012

Purchased from: Big-Deal-Music Wolverhampton

Features: My Epiphone is Korean made. Got a good full body with great varnish work. The following below is from the Epiphone website and it delivers on all points. It didn't come with any accessories but did come with a life time guarantee from Big Deal Music where I purchased it from. - Body Material: Mahogany - Neck Material: Mahogany - Neck Shape: SlimTaper(TM) - Neck Joint: Glued-In, Set Neck - Scale Length: 24.75" - Fingerboard Material: Rosewood - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Nut Width: 1.68" - Hardware: Chrome - Machine Heads: Grover 14:1 Ratio - Neck Pickup: Alnico Classic (TM) Humbucker - Bridge Pickup: Alnico Classic Plus (TM) Humbucker - Controls: 1-Neck Volume, 1-Neck Tone. 1Bridge Volume, 1-Bridge Tone - Pickup Selector: 3-Way Toggle Switch, Epiphone All-Metal - Bridge: LockTone(TM) Tune-o-matic - Tailpiece: LockTone(TM) Stopbar One of the tone dials is a big loose but with a bit of glue i fixed it in under an hour. Not really a problem. // 9

Sound: The guitar has a nice full body sound and is perfect for classic rock. It is also great for Grunge, and on clean, for slow fingerpicking. I like to play things like "Titanic", "Schindler's List" and "Man Of The Hour" by Pearl Jam on clean and I can't fault it. My amp is a cheap practice amp which I hope to replace soon. As for the overdrive it can sound a little sludgy at times but that's perfect for my style of playing. If you're after a crisp sound when its on overdrive this might not be for you. As afore mentioned its great for grunge, punk, classic rock, blues, Slipknot, Stone Sour, BFMV and Alter Bridge. There are probably others but that's what I mainly play. The pickups are clearly distinguishable and it sounds like a dream when you are playing. It offers a good variety of sounds and with a bit of fiddling with the different dials you can achieve nearly any sound you want. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Overall the guitar has a good finish. I must admit I had some problems with one of the frett wires which made the notes on the 17th frett buzz. But I got mine second hand so I don't know if that's a manufacturing problem or something caused by the previous owner. The pickups selector is quite and sturdy and the same goes for the pickups. They where set well and I didn't need to adjust anything on it. It keeps its tuning really well and I am very impressed by the tuning pegs. Best tuning I've had on a guitar in years. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a reliable guitar that I will be playing for years. I don't play in a band so I don't know what its like live but if its anything like when I play it in my room then its good. It is very solid and very durable. I have a big dog that's likes to bounce everywhere and it can hold up against him. Really well in fact. The finish is good and it takes alot to mark it. I've only chipped it once and that was when I slipped with a buffer when I was doing a clean over of all my guitars. (2 acoustics and a good electric). // 10

Overall Impression: It is a good match for the music I play, mainly grunge and classic rock, and I haven't been able stop playing it since I got it. I'm learning Led Zeppelin's "Mothership" album on it atm and so far so good. I would buy another one if it was lost and I am severely impressed by it. It is far superior to the Les Paul Copy I was going to buy. Not only does it fit my style but its overall appearance feels like it blends in with music. I could picture myself playing this in a band easily. My dream guitar atm is the Jim Root Fender Telecaster but that's just a dream. Until I get the 800 for it this guitar will do perfectly.

// 9

SG G-400 Reviewed by: Gabe_Esp, on september 13, 2011

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: I believe it was made in china. 22 frets, I'm not sure what wood, The fretboard is rosewood though. I had a black finish but it was a little cheap not the best. Passive pickups aren't bad not great. ( don't bother upgrading ) 3 way selector with neck and bridge humbucker pickups. It does have pretty nice grover tuners. ( if you buy the guitar and scrap it take the tuners ) // 6

Sound: Good for rock players, Hard rock, blues, post hardcore, punk. sound is MEH, it sounds good for a beginner guitar, It sounds crappy even with thicker strings with any tuning past D standard, But if you play drop D, E standard or half a step down it sounds pretty good. Its not a thin tone but the sustain isn't to die for. ( if your a beginner then yes it is ) // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is pretty good, not a shredders dream guitar but good for chords, tight chord action and blues Pentatonics. Its not a Gibson but it sounds decent, action is nice for the price. // 8

Reliability & Durability: DURABIILITY IS MY ONLY MAJOR COMPLAIN, this thing falls apart. even though it looks nice and classy. The input jack after a while constantly comes loose electronics become loose after constant wear. If you exchange the electronics and wiring then yes it could be almost a Gibson ( ofcourse if you don't know much about gibsons) // 5

Overall Impression: Overall good sound for a certain player ( wish it had 24 frets) Cheap finish and electronics, good action ( not my fav action personally but pretty good none the less) I wouldn't purchase this again cause of the shitty quality ( after owning this for 8 months in your bedroom you'll understand, it doesn't break down right away though) The epi Les Paul is much better my friend has been playing his for 2 years and the only problems he has is that its just not a Gibson lol. // 6

SG G-400 Reviewed by: tylermclovein, on march 09, 2012

Features: I have the 2002 made in Japan or China I'm not sure I can't remember. It has 22 jumbo frets with a solid mahogany body and a glued in set neck. But if your looking at this review I'm sure you know what this guitar has feature wise. I love love this guitar its very good for a first time learner or an advance player. // 9

Sound: OK I play a lot of harder sounding stuff like Parkway Drive, Asking Alexandria, Three Days Grace, AX7, A Day To Remember, a bunch of different types of music. All and all I love this guitar but just the guitar by its self with no distortion pedal or effects it can't get the hardcore sound you would want for bands like Parkway Drive and Asking Alexandria but this guitar dose great on it own it pretty much good for it all but with a distortion pedal this guitar is perfect. And it also sounds beautiful on clean. I really only use the treble pick up it sounds the best in my opinion but both pick ups are nice. I've had no problem keeping it tune and all the frets sound nice and clear. I use a sliver tone amp and a Fender Frontman neler of these amps are good by any means but it seems no mater what this guitar is plugged into it sounds great I've tried in prob 20 different amps all sound good. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickup where perfect I didn't have a problem with the I had to lower the bridge and that's it everything else was perfect there was nothing wrong with it when I got it and it was at least 6 years old when I got it I've had I I've owned for 2 years and still just as good. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It doesn't take alot to hurt this guitar it very easy to ding it I leave a mark on it but that wont be a problem as long as you treat it nicely. I have a band and so for it can stand being played for hours without going out of tune so I'd say yes you can use it as a gig guitar the strap buttons are ok I recommend strap locks the finish is very very nice one this guitar it still looks new and the guitar is getting pretty old so good finish. // 8

Overall Impression: I would say but this it feels great plays nicely I only have one thing I really just hate about this guitar it seems to be a little top heavy like when standing with the guitar if you completely let go the head stock flys down this guitar is not balanced at all I wish it was black instead of red but its really the only thing I wish was different other then the balance. Oh and this guitar looks and feels like it is worth a lot of money and is very good to just show off how pretty it is. Before I forget I had to replace the amp jack and reroute it to the bottom of the guitar cause the original on broke and there was a big hole in my guitar for awhile but now its fixed and my guitar looks custom and a lot cooler now so I'm kinda happy it happen it looks very cool and only cost me 50$ to get it fixed. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Ultra III 7.7 Electric Guitars 04/07/2014