SG G-400 Ltd Ed EMG Review

6.7
review (1) pictures (1) 12 comments vote for this gear:
SG G-400 Ltd Ed EMG Reviewed by: Plan009, on october 21, 2010

Purchased from: musiciansfriend.com

Features: This guitar was hand-crafted in China back in 2007 and I bought it back in 2008. The SG body is a double cutaway design with a set neck made of mahogany. A 'SlimTaper' profile 22 fret neck (1.68" wide/24.75" long) is covered by a rosewood fretboard topped off with elegant trapezoid pearl-crush inlays. I'm almost certain that this guitar was manufactured with only the option of a glossy alpine white finish. Silver Grover 'Die-Cast' Tuners and a Tune-o-matic bridge along with a stop-bar tailpiece. EMG Active 81 Bridge pick-up and EMG Active 85 Bridge pick-up. Pick-ups controlled by 3-way selector and 2V/2T knobs for each humbucker. The guitar also came with a random unlabeled 9ft. Cable. For the quality and the price, I'd say this is top notch. // 10

Sound: I play everything from The Beatles and Led Zeplin to Atreyu and The Devil Wears Prada and this guitar accommodates everything and between! The p-ups give a very wide variety of tones that suit just about any style. I know EMG's get a bad wrap at times for being a 'one trick pony', but the combination of the hardware, body, and wood used to build it compliment and assist each other in giving it an amazing sound. I've run this guitar through a Line 6 Spider III 75W, a Marhall AVT50H, and currently a Peavey Valveking-100 head. Using an variety of dist. pedals, I get powerful, clear, and heavy palm mutes, leads, and rhythms with the EMG81. Set to a clean tone on the amp and the EMG85 set to V-6 and T-8, the sound resonates with a full, rich tone that eliminates the need for ever needing or even wanting a Acoustic simulator pedals. As I've let my friends play my SG at jam sessions I've noticed this guitar not only suits my style, but other styles that I don't play such as jazz, blues, classic, and even funk. So far I've seen this guitar provide every tone except for a bad one. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When buying a guitar that's coming with a factory set-up, I always expect to have to put in a good hours worth of work inspecting and configuring everything to my liking. For the most part, this wasn't the case. The pick-ups were set in nicely and required maybe small twist of a screwdriver, but nothing major. The action was the same for the most part, needed little work. The only problem I had with it out of the box was that the neck pick-up's tone dial was a little loose. I didn't think anything of it, but I kind of regret it now. Other than that, the guitar was in great shape. Brand new, great finish, and well set hardware. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar for the most part is pretty strong. I take good care of it so I'm not worried about the hardware giving out anytime soon except to one of the tone knobs. Of the last year or so it's been getting looser and more wobbly. I'm kind of scared it might fall off soon, but I think I'll live. This guitar has been on stage with me every show I've played since I've gotten it and I have no concern that it will remain on my line-up for years to come. Although I have 3 guitars I always bring on stage for shows, I have no doubt that I could gig without having a back up incase of error. I've never really snapped strings while playing and my 9V never dies cause I replace each every month or so. I still have yet to get strap locks despite the SG's notorious Fame for being headstock heavy, but I've never dropped mine or had the strap even fall off, let alone have an issue with the strap button itself. The reliability of this guitar is a major contributor as to why it is one of my favorites. As for the durability, the finish still looks good, there's no chips, fading, or overall wear and tear on the body or neck. My only worry is the tone knob, but since none of the other four knobs have any issues and I've known this since day one, I'm gonna say that I got that one in a thousand dud and only deduct points from the Action, Fit, & Finish rather than both. This model of guitar is built to last! // 9

Overall Impression: As I said before, I play a lot of kinds of music and this guitar gives me everything I'm looking for and much more. I've been playing for 9 years now, been in several bands, gigged way more than I care to count, recorded and write original material. I also have a 7 Stringed Schecter and a Fender American Strat. For an amp, I primarily use the Valveking head run through a completely customized cab (the only thing that's original on it is the screws, the wooden casing, and the wheels...) along with a Boss ML-22 or a HardWire TL-2. When I bought this from the website, I pretty much knew what I was getting into with this purchase and wasn't disappointed. If this guitar was stolen, I'd probably hunt the guy down seeing as how it's a discontinued model and they're hard to find now, but I would totally get another one if it were an option. I've compared this to Jacksons, B.C. Rich's, my own guitars, and even a few Gibsons, and I along with many others prefer mine. This one has amazing tone and clarity, the playability is to the standards of professionals, and the price was absolutely a huge bonus. When I hear someone tell me they feel like the wasted $1,200 on their Gibson SG Standard after playing mine, I know that I made the right choice. The only thing I wish it had was that damn knob. If it weren't for that, it'd have been 9's and 10's across the board. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/23/2014