SG Prophecy Custom EX Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 03/20/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: SG Prophecy Custom EX
The SG Prophecy EX Electric Guitar from Epiphone is based on the original Gibson SG design. This Prophecy guitar boasts an EMG-81 humbucker in the bridge position for great attack and sustain during solos and an EMG-85 humbucker at the neck for fat, great-sounding rhythm.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 7.9
reviews (7) pictures (1) 111 comments vote for this gear:
SG Prophecy Custom EX Reviewed by: sg_player, on may 06, 2008

Purchased from: House of Guitars

Features: This was made this year in 2008 in the U.S.A. It has an Ultra fast and thin speed taper D bound neck. It has an ebony fingerboard with 24 jumbo frets adorned with sick blade inlays. The mahogany body is light weight and the double cutaway of an SG adds even more comfort when you play. This guitar has a beautiful highly quilt maple top in a color Epiphone calls "midnight ebony". It looks even better in person, trust me. The guitar also has a tune o matic bridge, elegant pearl top knobs, grover die-cast tuners, and a 3 way selector Switch. But lets not forget the active EMG 81/85 pickups =]. Its really amazing you can get all this at a price of about 500 dollars. // 9

Sound: The EMG 81/85 active pickups are just awesome. They just sound amazing through my Crate 30W amp. Its great for metal, rock, punk, and stuff like that. They have good sustain and pinch harmonics squeal like a beast. The sound has great full and crunchy rhythm tones, and the lead tones are rich and clean. Overall its a great sounding guitar for metal, rock and punk styles. Just don't buy this guitar and expect to get a nice blues or southern rock sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar in the store and the action was set up just fine. The ONLY thing that i can find wrong with this guitar is the rubber type material on the back of the neck. My thumb just doesnt slide up and down it very good, it gets stuck a little when i move down the fret board. Other than that, its pretty much heaven. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have not played this Live yet, but everything seems solid on this guitar. The finish doesnt seem like it will wear off anytime soon, and the strap buttons are solid and tight. The hardware will deffinitely hold up. I am not sure if i would take it without a backup though. // 8

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 2 years and i play a lot of metal, rock and punk. And this guitar suits each of these genres perfectly, and it looks amazing while doing soand its so so easy to play. If it were stolen, id beat the **** out of the guy Who stole it. If i couldnt get it back id deffinitely buy it again. This guitar looks cooler and plays better than most any guitar around this price, from ESP vipers to Jackson dinkys, this guitar blows them out of the water in my opinion. Buy this guitar, you wont regret it. // 9

SG Prophecy Custom EX Reviewed by: Blackmuse01, on october 14, 2008

Features: I bought this from the catalogue of AMS a few weeks ago and I gotta say, this guitar lived up to everything I expected. It's got a very lightweight mahogony body that's slightly more rounded off than the SG Special I own. The body has a beautiful "Midnight Ebony" finish that looks exactly like the sky on a cloudy night with a full moon. The 24-fret ebony fingerboard looks amazing with the blade inlays and feels even better to hold because of the thin D shape. The tune-o-matic bridge allows for easy string changing. The icing on this finely crafted cake, however, is the active EMG 81/85 pickups. Through the 3-way selector gives amazing tonal range and sound. AMS was even kind enough to send me a 15 foot cable with an L shaped end. // 10

Sound: Dear god. The sound of this guitar is amazing. I own an older Fender 212FM and with the more Vintage sound of the amp, leads sound absolutely amazing. When I go for a more heavy, thicker distortion I hook it up to my Behringer UM100 (don't knock it) and I must say, this guitar was made for metal. That being said, bluesy stuff doesn't sound quite as bluesy and the guitar has a somewhat limited genre range, but I can honestly say the clean tone sounds hauntingly beautiful. With full blown distortion I tend to get a hiss from the amp but that isn't the guitar; when I use the Behringer it's dead quiet. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I yanked this thing right out of the box to try it out and it sounded great off the bat. As far as adjustments, I haven't tweaked a thing and I haven't needed to. The action was pretty low like I like it and gave me no fret buzz. The tuning knobs turn cleanly with no trouble and the guitar stays in tune after a vicious assault of bends and strums. The finish is amazing and didn't have a scratch on it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've taken this to a few jam sessions with friends already and I'm confident it's gonna last for many a year. The hardware is securely placed and not one thing on this guitar creaks or budges. Taking it to a gig without a backup is something I'd try to avoid just because I'm superstitious in general but I think I could do it without much worry. The strap buttons are solid as a rock and I haven't had a problem with them once yet, though I still use straplocks because of my silly worries. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm a huge fan of most kinds of metal. I typically listen to stuff like Morbid Angel or Behemoth, but I'm also a huge fan of Joe Walsh, Mountain, and Clapton, and this guitar covers their styles nicely, though it's definitely a metal guitar. I've been playing nearly 3 years and in comparison with the $700 Schecter I had been playing at The Music store for some time now, this guitar is every bit it's equal. If I found out someone stole this, I'd probably round up a mob and hunt the bastard down that took it if I hadn't beaten HIM to death myself already. For the price, this guitar has no equal. // 9

SG Prophecy Custom EX Reviewed by: TuxFriend, on february 22, 2010

Price paid: € 329

Purchased from: Thomann

Features: My SG Prophecy Custom EX was made in 2009 and in China. Being manufactured in China, I was first a bit worried about the quality. Completely unnecessary! This guitar is top quality and sounds great. It has 24 frets, Tune-o-matic bridge and active EMG 81 (neck) & 85 (bridge) pickups. Also included are 3-way selector and volume & tone knobs. No accessories included and no whammy bar. // 9

Sound: The EMG pickups sound absolutely amazing. Seriously, none of my other guitars have sound that comes even close to this. Sure, my Ibanez XPT700 with its DiMarzio D Activator pickups sounds also great, but it can only compete with the clean sound of the EMG pickups. The sound of the EMGs is at the same time very rich, full, bright, colorful and heavy. Distorted power chords and palm mutes sound "clear", yet extremely heavy. I've yet to notice any noise or muddiness. I play mostly metal, but also some bluesy and lighter types of music. The EMGs are perfect for both really low and really high notes, and for shredding. Active pickups are often being criticized for bad clean sounds. I can't agree with this. Still, they are essentially metal pickups. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: After unpacking and tuning the guitar, it sounded already great out-of-the-box. I didn't adjust the pickups or action, since there was no need to. The Tune-o-matic bridge also means very fast & easy tuning, as there are no extra springs and parts making it unnecessary complicated (cough, FR tremolos...). Of course, this also means there is no whammy bar, but I rather choose quicker tuning & string changing. The build quality is really high. The guitar feels solid and looks great. The only reason why I have to reduce a point at this part, is that there were some spots in my guitar, where the paint from the body had slipped a bit on the side of the neck. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I could definitely see myself using this guitar live. It doesn't feel cheap in any way, both the hardware and the build quality feel solid and it sounds better than any other guitar I owned before. That is not to say, though, that I'd ever play live without a backup, regardless of the equipment. // 9

Overall Impression: As mentioned, I play mostly metal and this is The Guitar for that type of music. I'm using mine with the Boss MT-2 distortion pedal. If my guitar was stolen or lost, I'm definitely get either the same again, or at least another one with the active EMG pickups. I'm really blown away by them. Compared to my Ibanez XPT700, the SG Prophecy Custom EX was only half the price (329 vs. 727 euros), but feels just as solid and high quality. Even sustain is equally good. I think some people might wish for a whammy bar. Personally, I rather take the fixed bridge, since I already have other guitars with whammy bars. And for the price I paid, I have no other chance than to give this guitar a full 10. // 10

SG Prophecy Custom EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 15, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music Store

Features: I got this from Sam Ash, which has an amazing selection. I tried out tons of guitars, looking through les pauls, and many various electrics, not a lot standing out. This was my second guitar, and I wanted to choose right. When I picked this guitar up, the last one in stock, I knew I had found the guitar I was looking for. // 10

Sound: The sound can Switch between a good clean sound to a grunge sound, providing the perfect sound for any rock or metal song. It provides easy change in sound, and has volume like I've never seen. The Active Electronics give it an ultra-loud sound, but is easily manageable. It can go from one part of the music Spectrum to the other and back easily, but doesn't look too good when playing something like a southern or country song. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is great. The ebony fretboard and wooden neck make sliding easy, and transitions great and rewarding. The EBR 81/85's provide a great sound and a slim, cool black look and a great fitting look to match the guitar perfectly. The pickups don't need any adjustment at all, and I've had no problem what'soever with them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is perfectly stable and durable, while also maintaining a great look and a steady body. The material is very durable, and very tough. Even the fell of the guitar is very steady, with no loose parts, but I love this guitar too much not to bring a backup, just in case. The finish is plenty durable, along with the guitar, and overall satisfies. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Punk music like Green Day and Metallica, and although I don't know a whole lot of songs just yet, what I do know how to play sounds just incredible. I have been playing, going on and off with lessons, for the past year regularly. I love the very cool look, and the perfect price, and is easily impressive to show off anywhere. If someone took this guitar, I would hunt them down like in Taken, killing everyone in my way, and if it was ever destroyed, I would buy it again without hesitation. I wouldn't choose any other guitar over this one, and I hope someone else can love this guitar as much as I do. // 10

SG Prophecy Custom EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 20, 2011

Price paid: C$ 399

Purchased from: Long And Mcquade

Features: Original price is around 600 dollars but I got it on sale for about 200 dollars off. It has a 24 fret neck, grover tuners, EMG pickups, one volume knob, one tone knob, and a 3 way pickup selector. The neck is nice and thin, perfect for shredding. // 9

Sound: I use this guitar on my Peavy Vypyr 75. The EMG pickups are great for a variety of music, from classic rock to metal to songs which require clean sounds. The emg's are powerful, so this guitar is great for metal or hard rock. Set the pickup selector to the middle and it has a very nice clean tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on it is AMAZING! The pickups were adjusted just right. // 10

Reliability & Durability: So far I have not gigged with this guitar yet, but from playing it, I can easily tell this guitar would last a long 5 hour gig at the least. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression, I love it. I do not dislike anything about this guitar. I play a lot of rock and metal, and the EMG pickups on it are PERFECT for that music. If it were stolen, I WOULD buy this again, it is so amazing. I really love the neck on this thing, it is pretty thin so I can shred a lot more easily. I picked this guitar from 3 other guitars I was thinking about, which were the Ibanez RG350DX, Ibanez S420, Fender Standard Strat, but I fell in love with the SG Custom Prophecy. A must have. // 10

SG Prophecy Custom EX Reviewed by: Slash1157, on october 21, 2011

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: A few years ago, I started to learn guitar, and I got this guitar at a great price at Sam Ash as my first guitar other than the Squier telecaster, which I barely used, and its lasted me since then, but because I had an arrogant teacher, I stopped playing for about two years, and I started up seriously a year ago. This guitar has active electronics, and is much louder than anything any of my friends have, and can go well past what you want. This specific guitar was made in 2008, and it has a translucent black finish, and the EMG 81/85 pickups are great for what I play, and have Grover Precision tuners that make it really easy to get the tuning you want and make it last. It has 25 jumbo frets, and came with a softshell case, but I'm going to pick up a hardshell next week. The switch is a three way switch giving you a full sound for the setting facing up towards you when playing, a good even sound in the middle, and more treble, and the body type is that of an SG. // 10

Sound: I have been playing more Green Day over the last year, but have been finiding it easier and easier, but even when I liked to play green day, this guitar was perfect for rit, giving me a wide range of sounds, especially due to my amp being a Spider III 35 watt, giving me a lot of different sounds from country to metal. The sound on this guitar, with any amp, is much more full than most other guitars I've tried out. My friend has a Dean Vendetta, which is a $100 guitar, and I find myself a lot more satisfied with my guitar even compare to the $600-800 guitars. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has had no problems up until a month ago, but I have had it for 3 years. I have had trouble with loose hardware and a faulty tone knob, but only recently, and my cords interfere more than the guitar itself. The pickups are perfect, I know a lot of people who try to upgrade their pickups, but I just never find myself feeling the need to. As far as flaws, this guitar is perfect, I picked it up at Sam Ash as their last one and it was flawless, and still is, with the exception of lot of scratches from my picks by the pickups. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've only played one live gig, and it was at my school, and it was absolutely fine, but I can't really say much about that just yet, but from moving my guitar and constantly bringing it to friend's houses, it has been very durable, and has withstood the test of time perfectly. I picture myself keeping this guitar the rest of my life, just because of the durable finish, great sound, and the just amazing finish and design. The strap buttons are rock solid, its just my straps that have been a little faulty. Due to the fact that I only have a Fender T-Bucket 300CE Dreadnought Acoustic Electric, I wouldn't bring a backup just because of my lack of another guitar, but I will soon have an Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top, so after I get that, yes I will bring a backup. The finish on my guitar has held perfect, and as I see lots of finishes for other guitars that fade quickly, I'm glad I chose a guitar with a very tough finish, and it hasn't even begun to fade. // 10

Overall Impression: I play Green Day, but have been starting to play more Metallica and Ozzy Osboure, but this is a perfect match for all these songs. I have been playing seriously for about a year, and this is just perfect. The only other gear I own is the Fender T-Bucket 300CE Dreadnought Acoustic Electric, but I have tried out many guitars, and I highly recommend this one. If I ever lost it, I would be dead, but I'd save up enough to get it again, no questions asked. I love the action, and the ability to bend and get a great distorted and clean sound so easily, but I hate the pickups position, only because I had picks that kept disintegrating so they would get all over the pickups and they were hard to clean. I chose this one because it felt right at the store, and it is definitely the right guitar for me. // 10

SG Prophecy Custom EX Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 20, 2012

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: Long and Maquade

Features: I think it was made in 2008 but am unsure. Made in china like all Epiphones. So I has 24 ebony frets had a d shape neck witch is really thin. The neck and head stock are satin finished on the back and when worked in is very fast. The neck and body are mahogany and has a quilted maple top witch looks killer with the black burst. It has a tune-o-matic on it with EMG 81/85 just a basic 1 vol 1 tone 3 way switch and grover tuners. Was suppose to come with strap locks but some how they dissapeared. // 10

Sound: So it sounds really good, has a nice combo of woods and pickups. It is very versatile but the EMGs pop out when comparing to passives. I mostly play rock /metal/ classic country and is a good guitar for that. It's a quite guitar no hums wse very full sounding. I play it through a Peavey Classic VT 212 and I have a Boss ME 25 for effects. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was pretty good but I had to adjust it to my standard and the pickups were right on didn't have to touch them. Its very clean looks really good. There is a blemish on the neck binding but not a big deal. And a chip out of the neck but was painted over. After awhile the pickup selector cam lose but not thing major. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar with no back up has never let me down. Every thing seems "tight" and reliable and its got some wear on it now still sounds like new. I'm really impressed with the finish they weren't cheap with it. Its been beat up sence I've owned it and it still a God guitar better than some "brand name" guitars I've played. // 8

Overall Impression: All around good guitar would be worth over 2gs if it had a Gibson logo on it. I've had this guitar for 3 years and its still great. I like how it feels really comfortable. I'm not so HOT on the thin neck a little to thin to my liking. And I wish it had of come with a trem stetsbar maybe? But other than that its good. The pickups blow me away have guitars with DiMarzio's and Vintage pu's the EMGs just give you that extra boost. // 9

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014