SG Tony Iommi Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 09/05/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: SG Tony Iommi
Mahogany neck. Mahogany body. Mother of pearl cross inlays on fingerboard. Stopbar tailpiece.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.3
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 8.3
 8.5
reviews (3) 55 comments vote for this gear:
SG Tony Iommi Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 03, 2004

Purchased from: Music Ground, Leeds

Features: This is a japanese made model (I am presuming at least). 24 frets and 24.75" neck, solid top, two-tone, two-volume, standard push/pull Gibson 3 way switching, passive H/H setup with two 'Iommibuckers', mahogany SG body obviously, Stop bar bridge, black finish (not matt), Grover tuners. Got a groovy chequer strap and full SG fitted hardcase for free with it. No tremolo, but I don't use it anyway, so I'm not bothered. // 8

Sound: I know what you're thinking, Iommi SG = for Black Sabbath wannabes only. Wrong. I play hardcore and standard rock, and this baby can swing with the best of them. The Iommibuckers are extremely powerful, with a great crisp edge to them, but still a full, rich sound. I use a Trace Elliot Speed Twin amp, which is not exactly a death metal amp to start with, but with this axe my sound is really beefed up, which I love. I play mainly rhythm and vocals, so the bassiness sounds great. I've had no problems with feedbacking either, strangely, as I play loud in small rooms. The only gripe I have is that, like all highpower pickups, the clean sound leaves something to be desired. Then again, I wasn't looking for any pussy-ass acoustic sounds, I wanted as much distort as I could get, and then some :P... Can you tell I like this guitar yet? // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't had any problems with it so far and haven't had to change any action or anything, it came nice and low as I like it. The black finish is nice, but I wish it had chrome hardware instead of the boring black. Oh well, it's not a big thing, and that can wait till the Gibson SG turns up... // 8

Reliability & Durability: The strap buttons are coming loose, but that could be due to my prancing around onstage. Apart from that, it's fine. I wouldnt gig it without backup, but thats cos I'm not a risk taker (bad memories of strings snapping at bad times). Apart from that, it's all good. // 8

Overall Impression: I personally love this guitar, but I can see why other people may not like it. The clean sound in particular is quite flat and the powerful pickups knock the amp into overdrive unless you play very quietly. If it was stolen, I probably wouldn't buy another, but that's 'cos I want to move up to a higher level axe (Gibson SG Standard or a LP methinks). I've been playing about two years, so hopefully I know what I'm on about. This isn't a classic axe, and it doesn't do anything unusual, but for what it's built for (grinding overdriven stoner rock or sludge metal) it's great, and it's certainly changed my view on signature guitars. // 8

SG Tony Iommi Reviewed by: Spearhead, on december 15, 2006

Purchased from: eBay brand new

Features: Where do I start this thing is just a beaty, combined with my metal muff, it even makes my crappy Marshall MG squeal. Anyway back on topic. It was made in Korea. It has a 24 fret rosewood fretboard. It has medium frets. This beast consists of black paint and hardware (chrome I think). It has a double cutaway body. It's got a tune o matic bridge. It has passive signature USA Iommi humbuckers. It always stays in tune for me, aint tuned it for 3 weeks, after playing 3 hours a day. Just shows you what groover tuners do. The picture above does not do it any justice, it make it look quite dull and with a mat finish compared to it's Gibson counterpart. In real life it's as glossy as the Gibson. // 10

Sound: I mainly play hard rock, and heavy metal such as sabbath. It's a dream to play. Although people say it's bad on cleans, I've played stairway to heaven and stuff, and yeah the pickups are powerful, but if your gental it's fine. All I can say anything with the slightest distortion it just owns anything else I've played. The bridge pickup gives that harsh, metal sound. But with the neck pickup with it's pup covers it can if you turn the tone knob down give a lovely mellow blues sound. I use a metal muff, for a proper Vintage metal sound, lovely and sexy sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The reason I got this guitar quite cheap of eBay was because it wasn't set up. But it only cost me 20 to get set up and this thing plays like a dream compared to the G-400S and Les Pauls I played in the shop. Its neck is smooth and creamy, I also belive it's slightly thinner than other gibson/epiphone necks. But not so thin that it feels horrible. It's just the way I like them. But apart from the set up it was all very good, no sharp edges on the bridge or anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I don't really gig, but never had any problems in the last 6 months. I'm not a punk rocker so I don't ware my guitar at my waist and jump about. But the strap buttons seem solid. But if I gigged I would rely on it. Although me being who I am I wouldn't incase a string snapped. But that's not the fault of the guitar. The finish seems like it will last. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I absolute love this guitar. It's my dream. I've been playing for 4 years with a school teacher, but within the last 3 months I've had private lessons and started getting really serious. And this thing can shred, even if the Ibanez shred people said you can't shred on it, you can. I've tried, sucessfully. If this guitar was stolen, I woudl quite frankly kill the bastard Who pinched it. And would definately buy a new one. I just the vareiety in tone, from mellow creamy rich, to harsh metalish there's nothing I hate about this guitar, even the strap button is well placed, which is the floor of most other SGs, it's not as neck heavy as others. I don't like trems, especially floyd. Mainly because they distract me from my playing and seem to get in my way. Overall a very (SG) solid guitar. But I would go further than that, infact a supurb guitar. // 10

SG Tony Iommi Reviewed by: Jaspafari, on september 05, 2011

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Friend

Features: This guitar was made in June 2006 in the Unsung plant in Korea. It has 24 frets, 2 Iommi Gibson Humbuckers, mohogany SG body, ebony black finish, rosewood fretboard with cross inlays. Locktone Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece, all black chrome hardware. 2 volume controls, 2 tone controls, 3-way pickup switch. // 9

Sound: These pickups have a nice clean sound, even with a lot of distortion k which I really like, the neck pickups has a nice smooth sound for playing clean. You can get a lot of different sound with this guitar, and I dare say there is something with these pickups which makes them ideal for harmonics. This guitar has Gibson pickups, which I guess are worth when new more than what I paid for the guitar itself, so this was really a bargain, en the pickups just sound brutal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: In all, this guitar was set-up just fine, as it came from my friend. The only thing wrong with is, is that there is a loose contact somewhere in the electronics, I affects the pickup switch, if I want to switch between the pickups, I may have to put the switch up and down again for maybe 5 times before in actually switches, which isn't that great if you want to use both pickups at a gig. As long as only 1 pickup is used you can avoid this ofcourse. Another thing I guess is related to this, is that in th efirst year I had this guitar, occasionnaly the sound would fall away (had this maybe 8 times), but this hasn't occured for at least a year, so I guess it resolved itself. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could handle a lot of abuse, although, I would surely bring a backup on a gig, for the reason mentioned above, just in case. Overall, it is in good shape, except for a little rust on the screws. // 7

Overall Impression: Ideal for metal or heavier stuff. I got this guitar for 2 years and I play it every day. For the price I paid, this guitar is excellent. There is the Gibson version of this guitar, but I think this is the better bargain, as this has the same Gibson pickups. In my opinion, great guitar. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014