Sheraton II Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 07/06/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Sheraton II
The Sheraton II Archtop Guitar features 2 humbuckers, gold hardware. The scale is 24.75" and the nut width is 1.68" The neck joint is set and the neck material is 3-piece maple. The fingerboard is made of rosewood with block and triangle markers. The body material is laminated maple, as is the top.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.9
 Features: 8.4
reviews (7) pictures (4) 44 comments vote for this gear:
Sheraton II Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 27, 2004

Purchased from: DC Music

Features: - Arched maple top, back, and sides - Bound F-holes, body, and neck - Dual humbuckers - 3-way Switch - 2 volume and 2 tone controls - Solid center block and hollow wings - Grover tuners // 10

Sound: Epiphone made this guitar back in the 60's when it was used by blues players such as john lee hooker and now the new ones sound just as good. I found that this guitar has nearly endless sustain due to the solid center block, while the hollow wings provide that blues/jazz sound. It suits my playing style perfectly except when i want to get that jimi hendrix sound, when I feel like diving into hendrix I have to resort to my Fender Strat for that particular sound. Other than that I've found that I can play everything from B. B. King, the beatles, and Eric Clapton to Led Zeppelin and nirvana. I run my guitar straight through my kustom, Fender, or gorilla amp and rely on the reverb and overdrive of the amp. The bridge pickup provides crystalline leads and solos while the neck is great for that distorted rhythm or warm clean sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is unbelievable, when I brought it home from the store and started taking measurements I found that everything was perfect. The pickups were adjusted for maximum sound. I was really impressed with the pickguard, normally the pickguards on my guitar get pretty scathed from my strumming but i've had this guitar for four months and the trapeze style pickguard doesn't have any swirling or scratches. My guitar had a finish flaw but that is why my guitar was dicounted at the store, there is some sort of mark on the back that takes an intense eye to notice, although this lowers the value of the guitar i would choose a guitar with a small flaw that is 200 dollars cheaper over the same guitar minus the flaw plus the 200 bucks. // 10

Reliability & Durability: this guitar is one tough mother for a semi-hollowbody, Maybe it's my love of this guitar that makes me baby it so much but this guitar does withstand live playing....unless you're into setting you're guitar on fire like hendrix. all the hardware is great except for the strap buttons, the original ones were actually very good but unfortunately my former favorite guitar store DC music reccomended that i Switch to strap locks and the screws don't fit so they stripped out the wood and now I'm pissed so I'll move on. I would not use this guitar without a backup simply because the unpredictable can always screw something up. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my blues-rock style perfectly, I've been playing for about 4 years and I own a Squier Strat, Fender Strat, Kustom amp, gorilla amp, and play through a friends Fender amp for gigs but do my recording with my own amps. If this guitar were ever stolen or lost I would most definitely buy another. I love everything about this guitar except I think Epiphone should upgrade the pickups and make their own line of strap locks to avoid the cheap ones made by other companies. In my purchases I always research extesively and when I made this purchase I was very surprised because of the great deal for this guitar. // 10

Sheraton II Reviewed by: SkaBassist, on january 14, 2008

Features: First off, I should mention that this is an absolutely beautiful guitar. That being said, there are a few problems, the gold hardware wears down to the silver metal beneath in the places that receive more wear and tear. The pickups are kind of weak, but they aren't terrible. Also, the fret markers stop after the 15th fret, which is a slight problem. These are the only problems I had. Overall, quite nice. // 9

Sound: I personally play mostly rhythm guitar, and this guitar suits that perfectly. I have a Spider II half stack, though I rarely plug in, which is partially why I wanted a hollow body. I heard that hollowbodies got a lot of feedback, but I haven't experienced that. Very rich sound, pretty bassy (especially on the front pickup). This guitar is (obviously) not meant for any sort of metal or anything, though it does sound surprisingly good with distortion. I'd imagine with some new pickups this guitar would sound fantastic, but as it is it's only alright. Like I said, I rarely plug in, and so it sounds great. When plugged in, it sounds quite average. I plan on replacing the pickups soon. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Quite good strait out of the box, very little adjustment needed. The action was perfect, still have little to no fret buzz. As I said, the pickups do their job, but some new ones would definitely be a good idea. All the hardware was well adjusted, and I've had to do very little myself. The 19th fret on the B string was dead, and a few other high frets weren't great, but this guitar isn't really meant for that. I could probably get this fixed. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Being a hollow body, you'll prolly want to take it easy on this guitar, but after owning it for almost a year I don't have a single scratch on the finish. I've hit the neck a few times and my strap snapped once, but it held strong. The hardware has held up well, but the gold on it has started to rub off. The strap buttons are extremely solid, which made me happy since I've had 2 other guitar on which they broke. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar completely fits me. I've been playing for 4 years, and this is my third guitar. I have a feeling this guitar will last me a long, long time. My main complaints are that the upper frets are weak, and the pickups aren't great, but this doesn't irk me too much. I would most certainly buy this guitar again, and ignoring the electronics, have preferred this guitar to many of the Gibson model ES-335s I've played. I guess it would be kind of cool to have one of those "armrest-sized" whammy bars that some of the hollow bodies have, but it probably wouldn't be worth all the new hardware. Once I replace the pickups, this will probably be one of the best guitars I've ever played. // 9

Sheraton II Reviewed by: slihard, on june 30, 2008

Price paid: C$ 850

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Mine is in Vintage Sunburst and like the rest of the Epiphones I believe it was made in Japan and inspected in the US. It has a regular 24.75 nut width, 22 frets with beautiful inlays (mother of pearl block with an abalone triangle in the middle) on a rosewood fingerboard with the binding design going up the on the sides of the neck. Arched maple top, back, rim, and laminated maple neck. It's a double cutaway hollow body with two "f" holes and has a Tune-O-Matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece. 2 Humbuckers with a volume and tone for each and a 3-way switch, and stock grover tuners that keep it in tune really well. It has a cool pickguard too but I took it off and for the record that "beautiful" stem of flowers going up the headstock looks like leaves and a bunch of lipstick Kiss marks hanging off them but they're cool I like em. // 9

Sound: I play mostly Guns n Roses, Led Zeppelin and Stevie Ray Vaughan, and most other things going in that bluesy classic rock category, and it fits all of them PERFECTLY. I was so surprised when I plugged it the way the humbuckers and the thick clean tone a hollowbody naturally has sounds amazing. I'll have to admit the bridge pickup sounds flat and boring but the variations you can make with just the neck pickup is amazing it sounds open from the "f" holes but as chunky as a humbucker should be and then just by merely switching from a pick to using your fingers it almost sounds perfectly clean without touching anything. I run it straight through a Randall VMX30 and the two go together perfectly I end up playing this a little more than my dad's '74 Gibson Les Paul Custom and that says a lot. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't Say much on Epiphones factory set ups as I own two and the other one came out as trash but this one was set up perfectly so far other than the strap hooks which I replaced with locks. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I baby the thing but I could picture it falling into pieces if it was dropped roughly as the body feels a little fragile but as long as you're not an idiot and put some locks on it that shouldn't happen. The lock thing is very important if you're even going to stand up when playing as the front pin for it is instead of being on the side near the neck is behind the neck and so the strap turns and unhooks itself constantly. // 6

Overall Impression: I'm a lefty so guitars like this with my selection are a rare find of any company and as I said it's amazing for the stuff I play and can match my father's Les paul amazingly other than the open sound of it being a hollowbody. I've been playing for about 2 and something years and play about 2-4 hours every day. My gear: this beauty I've been talking about, '74 Les Paul Custom in Sunburst, Epiphone Special II (on usedvictoria if you're interested), Jackson/Charvel I believe it's a dinky model but it's from the '70s and there's no way of telling for me and I honestly don't care it's better than the Gibson and the Sheraton, Simon & Patrick 12 string acoustic, Yamaha 6 string acoustic, Peavy right handed with flipped strings acoustic, and this guitar I made out of a Unico gas can and a Fender neck. If it were stolen or lost I'd definitely buy a new one if I could afford it but I'm saving up for a wine red Gibson Les Paul Studio and that would come first. // 10

Sheraton II Reviewed by: guitarantihero, on april 30, 2010

Features: I think I bought this guitar new in 2003. I like to buy used but used guitars were so close to new on this occasion I didn't bother. It's a pretty looking beastie with gold hardware, grover tuners, mother-of-pearl-effect block inlays. It looks much grander than the Epiphone Dot but with the heavy poly coating it still bears the hallmarks of a relatively cheap far-east Gibson 335 semi-accoustic copy. You get a hard case with it, but it's probably not one you'd want to check in at the airport. // 8

Sound: The guitar suits my musical style well, which ranges from Byrdsy jangle-pop, through to 'alternative rock' and slightly heaver psych. I also play a little jazzy stuff, just for fun. Between the two humbuckers theres enough for accoustic-ish strummable tones to searing lead lines. The stock pickups are fine although a little middle of the road. In an ideal world I'd swap them for something with a little bit more 'zing' but they are pretty good for a guitar of this price. The pickup select lever gets noisy but a little switch-cleaner quietens it down. It's been played through a Fender Hot Rod, Peavey solid state and a Peavey Classic 50 head and cab, where it really shines. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm never too bothered about what the set-up at the factory as I get my guitars set-up by a tech. I guess factory set-up was good! No finishing flaws I can see at all. It's well made. The gold effect tarnishes fairly quickly - after a few months the gold was rubbing off - but that just makes it look a little relic'ed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has been moderately gigged over the years and doesn't appear to have a mark on it. I respect my gear but I'm amazed there are no more than the tiniest stratches. The thick poly coating may look a little cheap but it does protect the guitar. It's a weighty guitar so straplocks will stop it breaking free. // 9

Overall Impression: I love the look of the Sheraton and it's useful more much of my music where I want a richer creamier noise-free tone. I think it makes you look cool too, although for sheer playability I prefer a strat-style guitar and the wieght, while not a show stopper, does mean I probbaly don't move about with it as much as I do when playing a Strat. I have a early 90s US made Peavey Predator and a MIM Strat. If it was stolen or lost I would definately want another 335-style guitar, as I use those semi-accoustic humbucking tones a lot, but would probably shop around to see what else it out there. Unlike Strats, where you can make a case for a MIM being very close to a US in many regards, there's quite a big difference between a Sheraton and a Gibson 335. Ultimately I have the Sheraton because I can't afford the Gibson. // 8

Sheraton II Reviewed by: Green Eagle, on october 17, 2011

Purchased from: Guitar Center Van Nuys

Features: My Sheraton is a 1993 Samick guitar. The Samick company is a very high quality Korean stringed instrument manufacturer and is considered by many to have made the best Sheraton II's. You can tell Samick Sheratons because the first thing in the serial number is an S. The next two numbers are the year of manufacture. I do think these are a little better, and they don't seem to cost much more (I spent $400 on mine a few years ago) so you might look around and try to find one. The rap on Epiphones is that the woodwork is a lot better than the electronics, and this was certainly true in my case. I bought a pair of Seymour Duncan '59 pickups, and had the entire electronics replaced by Eric Chaz of Eric's Guitars. I ended up with about $700 invested in it, and it is a very good guitar for the money. I rated this as a 6 in this category only because I believe you do have to replace the pickups to get the most out of it- even with that done, the price is extremely reasonable. // 6

Sound: I play blues primarily, and of course this kind of guitar is perfect for that. It gets played through a '70 Super Reverb, a '65 Vibrolux and a Blues Junior. I travel a lot (I am in the movie business and I do a lot of location films) so I bought this to take on the road. I also have a '68 Strat, and recently acquired a '69 ES335 that cost too much to travel with. Don't kid yourself that the Epiphone is as good as the Gibson, but for the money, it's a tremendous deal, with the electronics upgraded. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar has a natural finish, and it is really a beautiful instrument. People who see it always like it. As I mentioned, I had Eric set it up as soon as I got it, and it was 15 years old already, so I can't comment on the factory setup. I just want to add that Epiphone seems to have decided to favor the quality of the woodwork over that of the electronics, which in my opinion is a good choice, as you can upgrade the pickups, pots, etc, but you can't change the wood. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Of course, a semi-solid body guitar is going to be a little more fragile than a solid body, but as this type of guitar goes, it is quite solid (maybe more so than my ES, which of course is 40 years old now.) By the way, the case that came with this one appears to be as strong as the ones with my Gibsons. I use a lockable strap, and the strap buttons seem fine on this guitar. I've had no problems with the tuning heads, bridge etc. // 9

Overall Impression: I play blues, and this guitar is an ideal instrument for it. I've been playing off and on since around 1971. I own the two guitars listed above and a 20th anniversary Les Paul Custom (1974) that I bought new. Besides the old Fender amps, we have a Vox AC-30 and a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier head run into a 1979 Marshall cab with original Celestion speakers. I must admit that I was influenced by seeing John Lee Hooker, who my wife used to know, playing his old Sheraton. I really think that, for the money I have invested in it, it is a great guitar. Sure, it doesn't quite have the magic sound of my old ES335, but it cost a fraction as much, and I can get a really nice range of blues sounds out of it. // 8

Sheraton II Reviewed by: soma1692, on april 20, 2011

Price paid: C$ 680

Purchased from: Steve's Music

Features: I bought it brand new for $680 (it's so cheap because of the Canadian Dollar's strength at the moment, otherwise the MSRP is approx. $899.99 here in Canada). If you're reading this review, I'm sure you probably know what it looks like. But just in case, it's an ES-335 style body with gold plated hardware (including Grover Tuners) double f-holes, and a very large headstock with beautiful mother-of-pearl inlays in the head and neck (it's a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard). It features a Gibson-stlye locking tailpiece with a TOM-Bridge. It also has the Standard 3-way pickup Switch and 2 tone and 2 volume knobs. The guitar I got was "Hand-Crafted in China". // 9

Sound: I play alternative rock (anywhere from metal, to punk, to grunge, to shoegaze) almost exclusively and this guitar can handle any style I've thrown at it. I literally went from playing Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups to playing Them Bones by Alice in Chains and both sounded excellent on this guitar. I'm playing through a Line 6 Spider III but I don't use any of the amp effects (I use an assortment of foot pedals instead). This guitar can generate a lot of feedback as semi-hollows are prone to do but as long as you aren't cranking 2 distortion pedals, it shouldn't be a problem (but if you're looking to generate a tight feedback/noise rock sound, look no further). It has a really smooth, bassiness to it, playing like a warm Acoustic when you're clean, and a really rich, HOT distortion when you need it. This guitar's tone is the main reason I fell in love with it. Must be heard to be appreciated! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm not sure how it was set up by the factory because the guys at Steve's Music tend to run a pretty tight ship when it comes to their guitars (they set everything up right in front of you if you don't like anything on the guitar). But this guitar is perfect, not a hassle at all. As of yet, not a single flaw can be found with the finish or hardware of the guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played it live yet (I've only had it for a few days) but I'm pretty sure it could stand up to a concert situation as long as it is respected (not too much thrashing around or stage antics). Being a semi-hollow body, there is a lot of room for the guitar to be damaged so it should be played with care. I would never gig without a back-up, but I'm pretty sure this guitar would hold up just fine. The finish seems to be hardy, but I've heard that the coating of the hardware tends to wear off. But that's okay, it merely adds character to the guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar, overall, is a dream. You have to baby it a little because of it's body style and I wish the pickups were a little bit harder/hotter (I may Switch them out for some Gibson 59's eventually) but in all honesty for the price paid, this thing has surpassed all expectations. I also own a Fender Jazzmaster and it is at par or just above quality/sound-wise which is amazing considering it's an Epiphone (although given the history of this guitar model, it's truly the equivalent of a lower level Gibson). It truly is a work of art, both to look at and play. I am thoroughly pleased and impressed with this guitar. // 10

Sheraton II Reviewed by: bendeschaad, on july 06, 2012

Purchased from: McKay Music

Features: I purchased an Epiphone Sheraton II in 1991, used, made in Korea. My Epi is blonde with gold hardware, tune-o-matic bridge, and 2 humbucking pick-ups. It has two tone and two volume 'witch-hat' knobs. The headstock has that beautiful Epiphone 'tree' design. The headstock is larger than many other guitars. The neck is comprised of 3 separate types of wood with a 'skunk' line down the middle. The finish has retained the high gloss Shine even after many years of use. I have used the guitar in rock, blues, country, and, some jazz bands. A very versatile guitar and a real headturner for looks. I had to replace the pots after much use. I usually set my guitars action and harmonics up but, the Epi required a Luthier, to reset the neck due to my A string not being balanced. I like the double cut-away, and it frets nicely up and down the neck. I installed off white fret markers in the upper neck similar to a Gibson. The tortoise shell pick-gaurd is classy, but, I had to place a small rubber pad between the guard and body due to the guard vibrating against the body. Ernie Ball strings either 0.9 or 0.10 work well; I prefer the 0.9 package. This Epi is a well crafted solid 'working' players guitar. I own Gibsons and Fenders and, although my Epi is an excellent instrument, it cannot compete with my Gibson or Fender. However, for durability, beauty, tone, and price it serves as a excellent back-up guitar. I noticed the price ($500.00 in 1992) has changed very little over the last 20+ years. I.e. minimal depreciation. // 8

Sound: I like the sound through either a 50 watt Marshall or a 1965 Fender Vibrolux. I prefer my 65 Fender tube amp with echo-reverb built in, which, produces a fat round, clean tone at mid-volume. If more distortion is needed I increase the volume to 8-10. I purchased a amp stand which was needed when playing with other musicians who have larger amps. I can get nice 'pinch' harmonix when needed. On rare occasion I use a Dunlop wah pedal. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The crafmanship of this guitar is excellent. Perhaps other Korea made Epiphone were not so well made, but, this one is a work of art. The wood grain is matched and lined beautifully. The color contrast of blonde, gold, and, tortoise shell is an eye popper and I often get comments from the audience or other musicians. // 7

Reliability & Durability: As mentioned previously this is a working players guitar. Gig ready and set up for nightly use. This Epi is not hard on the shoulder as it is not a heavy guitar. I have never had any problem with the strap buttons, but, to be safe I installed locking buttons. // 7

Overall Impression: I have played for 50 years. All genre. Traveled on the road and played large venues and low-down bars. !00 watt double stacked Marshalls; 50 watt smaller Peavey, Fender, Vox, and the Epi has always done it's part. I name my guitars and, although not in the same class as my Gibson, Fender or, Gretsch, "Blondie" will remain in the family. Blondie is to darned pretty to let go. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Les Paul Tribute Plus 8.8 Electric Guitars 11/05/2014