Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Review

8.9
 8.5
reviews (8) 50 comments vote for this gear:
Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2005

Sound: This guitar is terrible. Has no clean sound at all. Distortion is great if you are only looking for a pop punk guitar. I play it with a Marshall AVT150 half stack and the clean sound is jsut terrible. The Tom DeLonge Strat sounds 10x as good as this. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is pretty good. Not as good as most Gibsons. Finish is good on it. Only flaw really is the sound and the input gets loose. Its not Gibson quality. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last. Playing live or just sitting at home. Comes with a nice hardshell fitted case. Strap buttons are good but, would replace with strap locks if you're playing shows. Because th strap tends to slip off because of the strap button location behind the guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: Good for only one stlye of music. I play punk/emo/scremo/metal and about the only one this guitar is good for is pop punk. I've been playing for around 5 yrs now. If this guitar was lost or stolen I probly wouldn't waste the money again. If you like the look of the guitar get a ES-333 or ES-335 they sound way better. Or if you want the Tom Delonge name get the Fender Tom Strat as I said before the sound is way better and will do more type of styles. This is the worse Gibson I've ever played. // 4

Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: andrew6.688, on january 17, 2011

Purchased from: Ken Stanton Music

Features: My guitar was made in August of 2010 in China, and it has 22 medium jumbo frets on a rosewood fretboard with a one ply-binding. The fretboard is adorned with Dot inlays and the neck has a 24-3/4" scale length. It features a 1960's slim-taper neck, but its still bigger than a Strat neck. The neck is mahogany and the back is not painted and allows for fast playing with little effort. It has a maple/birch laminated top with an attractive cream racing stripe on a brown matte finish body. It has a Standard Gibson style hollow-body shape with cream binding all around. The bridge is a Tune-o-matic, as is the stop bar. All the hardware is chrome, and I did notice a bit of "gunk", or some residue on the stopbar.. All the electronics are passive, and it features one lone volume control potentiometer, topped with a matching cream knob. Standard Epiphone jack sometimes gets loose, as does the volume knob, but I have already fixed this. It has one pickup, a Gibson made dirty fingers humbucker. Its a monster, and has massive output. It has a great dirty crunch more akin to old rock records than todays over processed, over compressed hard rock sound. Standard Grover tuners, though it stays in tune fine. The Epiphone strap buttons seem fine with my Planet Waves strap. Also came with the usual accessories; A crappy cable, truss rod wrench, and a box. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of punk music, poppunk, rock, even metal and pop at times. This guitar covers all the bases and sounds great playing U2 or blink 182... The pickup is was a big factor in buying the guitar and it really is fantastic. I have played it through a Peavey Vypyr 30 watt and it sounds great distorted or clean. I have also used it on a little amp that has a really dirty and rude sound and it plays ramones-Esq punk rock well. Its pretty quiet, amazing considering its a pretty hot pup in a semi hollow instrument, but i dont get too close to my amp or really crank them up to 11 that often... very full sound, very bright highs and deep lows. The sound it makes is varied and as long as its more distorted rock oriented music you're good. The cleans wont blow you away, but they aren't bad at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action- Low, Low, Low... Super fast, very good. A bit of buzz on the low "e", but I fixed that. Pickup- Sounds fine to me, with 12 pole pieces and height adjustment I don't wanna mess with it, it already sounds great! Craftsmanship- Overall really great. The knob and jack were a bit loose after a few hours, but thats normal. The bridge had some stuff that came off easily, not sure if this was factory or music stores fault. The nut has like a sliver of space more on one side than the other if you want to get picky. Everything is very well put together and is a caliber above my Epi Les Paul standard. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Seems tough, not a lot to break here, the hardware seems good, I play aggressively. Good strap buttons, for my strap anyway. If I was playing a gig at a coffee house I wouldn't bring a backup, but to a bigger gig I would bring one of my other 3 electrics. // 10

Overall Impression: It matches my style perfectly. I have played around 3 years. I have an epi lp standard, this guitar, a homemade EVH Frankenstein strat, and a Peavey rockmaster. I also have 2 acoustics. I would get it again, and its fantastic. // 10

Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: qwertcb, on december 05, 2003

Features: OK! I haven't bought it yet but Tom let me use it....it's sssooo sick! It's just loaded with features!!! BODY Size: Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate Top Species: Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate Back Species: Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate Rim Species: 1-piece Maple Binding: Single-ply top, back NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: 1960 Slim Taper Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.800" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.875" Heel Length: 0.500" Neck Joint Location: 19th fret Headstock Inlay: 19 FINGERBOARD Species: Rosewood Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.137" Nut Width: 111/16" Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Pearloid Dot Binding: Single-ply HARDWARE Plating Finish: Nickel Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Cream Speed Tuners: Locking Sperzel ELECTRONICS Pickups: One Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' exposed-coil humbucker Bridge Pickup: One Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' exposed-coil humbucker Controls: One volume control and standard jack CASE Exterior: Black smooth levant Interior: Plush charcoal with satin shroud Silkscreen: Gold 'Gibson' logo STRINGS Brite Wires .010-.046 // 10

Sound: No Dislikes at all! The tone is sweet and it's meant for all of you punker's out there! I'ts worth every penny! If you use it on distortion it's so awsome! Gives a good ring! It's a full sound when ur rippin it! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It's all great! The pickups were adjusted perfectly! Oh man! The bridge was routed really well! NO FLAWS AT ALL!!! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Perfect for playng live! Really durable! The hardware WILL last! The finish on it will never fade! EVER! Well...maybe after YEARS of playing it! The starp buttons are solid and I would definatly use it if I didn't have a backup at a gig! // 10

Overall Impression: The best guitar I've EVER played. Nothing like the Strat! It's very simlar to the ES-335 Reissue! BUY IT! Tom's was in perfect condition and I expierenced it 1st hand! Great guitar! // 10

Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: darkfenix360, on april 15, 2004

Features: BODY Size: Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate Top Species: Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate Back Species: Maple/Poplar/Maple laminate Rim Species: 1-piece Maple Binding: Single-ply top, back NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: 1960 Slim Taper Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.800" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.875" Heel Length: 0.500" Neck Joint Location: 19th fret Headstock Inlay: 19 FINGERBOARD Species: Rosewood Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.137" Nut Width: 111/16" Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Pearloid Dot Binding: Single-ply HARDWARE Plating Finish: Nickel Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Cream Speed Tuners: Locking Sperzel ELECTRONICS Pickups: One Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' exposed-coil humbucker Bridge Pickup: One Gibson 'Dirty Fingers' exposed-coil humbucker Controls: One volume control and standard jack CASE Exterior: Black smooth levant Interior: Plush charcoal with satin shroud Silkscreen: Gold 'Gibson' logo STRINGS Brite Wires .010-.046 // 10

Sound: This guitar is the best guitar for my style of music. I play mostly punk/emo/screamo. You get a rich sound when you have distortion on it and you get a nice smooth tone when you play it clean. I also use it as an acoustic to make songs for my band cause it's a semi-hollow. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the guitar is great. The pickups are fine. My guitar didn't contain any flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This gutiar will probably withstand live playing considering its a signature of someone who tours a lot. The finish is good enough to last. The strap buttons are solid. I can depend on this guitar. I wouldnt need a backup with this guitar // 10

Overall Impression: I play punk/emo/screamo/ as I said before and this guitar goes perfect with the bands I play. I've only been playing for 2 years. I also have Toms Fender. I love this gutiars sound with distortion. The pickups are great even though they were brought back from the 70's. I wish it was lighter and a little smaller cause im used to the Fender Strat and that is very light and very small compared to his new guitar. All in all this guitar is a great guitar. // 10

Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 31, 2011

Price paid: € 500

Purchased from: Waltons

Features: This guitar is a semi-hollow body. It has 22 medium jumbo frets. The body is made from laminated Maple, the fretboard is rosewood with white Dot inlays, and a mahogany neck. The hardware is chrome, and the guitar has a stoptail bridge. Of course, you have the two f-holes, and one volume knob for that Dirty Fingers pickup. And Tom's signature on the back of headstock is pretty cool too. // 9

Sound: I play a million and one styles. For the purpose of this review, I'll talk about punk, hardcore, blues etc. I play this guitar, usually, through a Fender Frontman 25R. I also mess around with a Boss-ME50 pedal. The guitars tone is pretty sweet. It's a rich sound, and the bite out of it is really tasty. Of course, this was built for the kind of music Tom makes, but that doesn't mean it's a one trick pony. It's got a real bite to it, which I love. I use Ernie Ball Slinky Top Heavy Bottom strings, because I love getting a chunky sound out of it when I'm palm muting or riffing it up. I also down tune a lot. I can definitely use this for more then just pop-punk. My band plays a lot of post-hardcore stuff, and this stands up to the challenge. It is a guitar that is meant to be played loud. It annoys me when people say it has "no" clean sound. That's a lie, the clean stands up perfectly well, even if it is still a bit dirty. It's not "glassy" (really bright), and you don't have the option of switching to another pick up to get a jazzy kind of tone. But it's a cool, crunchy kind of sound, which is different. And I like different. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I had been saving up for this guitar for a while, and paying it off in installments, so by the time I got to it, the guys in the store knew me and had set it up perfectly for me. Because it was brand new, everything came perfectly. I haven't really needed to change anything since, except for checking the intonation every so often, the saddles etc. It's easy to play, the actions not too high. I had an Ibanez SA before this guitar, and while the action on that was lower, I started having a bit of trouble with fret buzz, and the neck was an awful lot wider too. This suits me down to the ground, and there's been no problems at all with it so far. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made for rocking, and is a tough axe. It's a lot lighter then I expected it to be when I first picked it up, but it's a solid guitar, and has withstood a few encounters with very very little damage. I wouldn't really feel the need to bring a back up guitar to a gig with this in my hands. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I love this guitar, and although I do sometimes miss the versatility of the Ibanez, I would probably buy another one if it got lost, stolen or broke. I wouldn't recommend having this as your one and only axe. It's nice to have a bit of variety. But my god, it does it's job well. I love the comfort of playing it, I love the vicious bite out of it, and apart from all of that, it just looks so damn cool as well. I went out with the intention of buying this guitar, and from the first time I picked it up, I was sold. // 8

Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: mazerfaka, on june 24, 2011

Purchased from: musikborsen

Features: This is the second guitar I bought, ordered it online, don't know which year or country it's from, but I'm gonna guess 2006 and Japan? It's a 22 Fretboard, rosewood. It's kinda fat neck, not the best neck for me since I have quite small hands, but it's kinda good to play anyway, I don't get tired hands on this neck! Hollowbody "ES" type, has a nice finish, the Bridge is a tune-o-matic and the tuners are really solid and nice. It just has one volume knob and one pick-up. It has the allmighty Gibson Dirty Fingers humbucker wich is by far the hottest and narliest pick-up ever made! // 8

Sound: I play alot of Punk/pop-punk/easycore, it suits my style perfect! It got that in your face sound. I use it with a Marshall JCM 2000, no pedals (just a tuner) and it sounds awesome! Too bad you can't use the guitar in a live or rehearsal-spot eviroment becouse of all the noise, it's a hollowbody so it will feed until the end of time! But in studio, or at home, you must search long to get a cooler sound than this guitar! I fell in love with the Dirty Fingers humbucker and I have it in almost every guitar, but it sounds best in this badboy, it's just bada-s! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action, the intonation and everything else was perfect when I got it! It was even tuned! The pickup was good, but I always higher/lower them to find the sweetspot. The only little complain is that the G string gets out of tune more easily than the other strings. But I heard that about other Gibson and Epiphone guitars! It was perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have used it live sometimes and it seems solid! Nothing to complain about. It seems very solid, nothing wrong with it! I don't use it live, have used it a few times but it gives to much feedback when your not playing! The finish scratches of fast, back of the guitar has a bit of scratches. // 9

Overall Impression: I play alot of pop-punk/easycore stuff and for that IN A STUDIO OR AT HOME it's perfect! Not so perfect in a rehearsalspot or at a gig. I also own a Hagstrom Ultra Swede, a Feder Jag Stang and a little bit of pedals here and there. If it was stolen I would buy a new one, I love this guitar and I love tom delonge, it looks really good and its fun to have friends and stuff point at it and say "cool that's Tom Delonge". // 9

Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 02, 2011

Features: Made in China, 22 medium Jumbo frets with a laminated maple/birch top. I like the size of the frets, but wish there were 24, the neck is pretty skinny, which I like. The Finish is brown, with a cream stripe running down the middle. Its very unique, and I haven't seen any brown guitars other than this. It's basically an ES-335 with a Locktone Tune-o-matic bridge and stop bar tail piece. Also it has grover tuners that lock, my G string (ha) likes to drop a little low, but the rest stay in tune a long time. It only has a volume control, which is all I need, the rest I use the pedals I have for. The big thing it has is a Gibson Dirty Fingers pickup. It has just one, but it sounds great, and really accepts effects. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of punk, and alternative, mostly my own stuff. But I've covered everything from muse to dashboard confessional with this. Obviously it plays Blink-182 and Angels And Airwaves easily. I use a Crate amp, and have a DigiTech RP-250 or 200, not too sure. I can make all sorts of awesome sounds, and the guitar is able to handle them all easily. Even with a direct feed into the amp it sounds very nice. Also the guitar is semi-hollow, so you can go without an amp. However, it's a little noisy, since its a semi hollow. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is the best I've ever had on a guitar. Nice and low. The pick-up was ready to go, as was everything else. The only problem would be the grover tuner on the g-string, although even that is better than other guitars I've played. The Finish was perfect, no smudges or scratches, and no other flaws were noticed. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is a very light guitar, surprisingly, given it's size. Also, since it has one pick-up and knob, little can go wrong with the guitar, and for the 10 months I've had it, nothing has. My strap is very heavy for a strap, and it does tend to fall of when I'm sitting, or if I put the guitar behind my back. However, it does not fall off when I'm just standing and playing. I wouldn't use a back-up guitar bringing this one, and if I did, it would just be another ES-333. My only negative comment on this is the finish, since it is fairly matte, I can see the matte finsih wearing off and becoming shiny. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a mixture of punk, space, and alternative rock. This guitar feels made for what I play, I've been playing 19 months now, and this guitar helped make me a lot better. If someone stole this guitar, I would buy another one, simply cause of the uniqueness that signature models have. What I love: The finish, the action, the shape, f holes, semi-hollow, the thin neck, grover tuners, and pick-up. What I hate: my strap has trouble staying on, its got a bit of feedback. I was either going to buy this or a Fender Jaguar. I chose this because it was 200$ cheaper, and the guitar seems very unused by most people. Its the best guitar I've had, and that I've played, and is perfect for someone who wants a different guitar, that still rocks. // 9

Tom DeLonge Signature ES-333 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 03, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar

Features: Gig bag - Loads of pockets, very useful. Strap - Hasn't broken in 2 years. // 10

Sound: - Amp - Marshall MG Series 10CD - Lead - Venom Professional Noiseless Instrument Cable with 90 jack. (Very good) - Pedal - Boss ME-25 (amazing pedal) - Clean tones - amazing sound, very jazzy. - Distortion - again, a fantastic sound, very "punky" (as it should be) - Effects - sounds very good with effects such as delay, reverb, wah, etc. - Pickup - Gibson Dirty Fingers Humbucker x1 - The best I've ever used. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action of the guitar was very well set up on my guitar. Loved the factory strings, not sure what they were. Currently using Ernie Ball Skinny Top Heavy Bottom strings. - Sounds excellent. My only minor concern was the it was matte and after some use it becomes shiny from where you rest your hand. Looks good though, not too bothered. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played it on stage a few times and I've had no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Style of music - Rock/Punk, Jazz, Metal, Blues. Playing time - 2008-present. "Can I have the Gibson version for this price?" (350). If stolen - Buy a new one. Love - sounds and playability. Hate - Nothing Favourite Feature - Pickups. Compared this to the ES-335, I preferred the ES-333. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8.2 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014