Tribute Les Paul Standard Review

9.4
 8.2
reviews (2) pictures (2) 32 comments vote for this gear:
Tribute Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 01, 2010

Purchased from: All Music Inc.

Features: The "Tribute" LP is an Epiphone Les Paul Standard with some differentiations that make it distinctive. It 22 Medium-Jumbo Frets and two different available neck profiles. It has the Standard Les Paul asymmetrical neck, or the 1960's SlimTaper neck which to me is much more comfortable then any other Gibson-Epiphone neck. Everything else on this guitar is fairly Standard except for a few extra features. The pickups are beautiful remakes of '57 PAF Les Paul pickups and they really kick. My guitar plays circles around my friends' schecter, ESPs and Strats. It also has coil taps in the tone knobs which chnages the humbucker's sound into a thinner cross between a single coil and a P90. The final twist is a set of grover locking tuners that really do excellent work. The guitar came with a hardshell case and a warranty card which I forgot to fill out. I really have no complaints for this guitar's features, everything does its job the way I need it to. // 10

Sound: The humbucker's and coil taps combined can give me a wide range of sounds. I play anything and everything. With this guitar I have played classic rock, electric blues, electric bob dylan folk, sublime stoner-music, heavy metal and even Lady GaGa. I even do heavy slide riffs on it. It can follow along with any of it beautifully. As a practice amp I have a simple Fender champ. When I gig I usuallu borrow my friend's Crate amp, and I am shopping for a Vox VT100 amplifier. It sounds good with all of them. The effects I use are generally overdrive, wah, uni-vibe, gain, distortion, all the good stuff. I play on every possible setting with them. Some sound better than others but none really dissappoint. The sound is fat and fairly clean just like all les pauls with the added kick from the 57 pickups. It has a massive variety and I can't see a need for another guitar any time soon. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar it was set up perfectly. I found no flaws and no imperfections. The only thing I've done to this guitar since purchase is get some new strings on it. No complaints at all. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid. And heavy. It is a lot to lug around but I can feel that its tough. Its taken a few hits from idiots leaving it in bad places or cases falling off tables but it's still going strong. Because of the person I am I would never only take a single guitar to a gig. I always have a backup Acoustic and maybe even my old Strat sometimes. The finish is heavy and it hasn't faded yet but I really can't say for the future. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is actually the love of my life. It does anything I tell it to do. It's the only guitar I can sweep-pick on, but it sounds great when I do. I have been playing guitar for a bout 3 years but I have been playing music for 7 years. If it were stolen or lost I would either buy this guitar again (but in black next time) or I would buy a cheap knock-off and rig it to have the same electronics and just work on it until it fit my specifications. I chose this guitar over the Telecaster it was competing with because it was so much fuller and more versatile, even though it was almost double the cost and money has never been abundant for me. The only thing I wish it had was a goldtop finish, but I've never seen an Epiphone with one so maybe I am indulging in useless fantasy. Overall this guitar has everything I really need. I see myself playing it for a long time. // 10

Tribute Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2012

Price paid: £ 499.99

Purchased from: DV247

Features: I'm not 100% on the specifics of when it was made, although I do know it was part of the first run of 'Tribute' Les Pauls that were made by Epiphone around 2009/2010, so anywhere in that range. It has all the standard Les Paul trimmings, which I will list here: - Body Material: Mahogany - Top Material: Carved Hard Maple with AAA Flame Maple veneer - Neck Material: Mahogany - Neck Joint: Vintage "Deep-Set", Glued-In - Truss Rod: Adjustable - Scale Length: 24.75" - Fingerboard Material: Rosewood with mother-of-pearl Trapezoid inlays - Neck Pickup: Gibson USA '57 Classic Humbucker (4-wire) - Bridge Pickup: Gibson USA '57 Classic Plus Humbucker (4-wire) - Controls: Switchcraft 3-way Pickup Selector, 2 x Volume, 2 x Tone (push/pull) - Electronics: Mallory-150 tone capacitors - Fingerboard Radius: 12" - Frets: 22; medium-jumbo - Bridge: LockTone Tune-o-matic/Stopbar - Nut Width: 1-11/16" - Hardware: Nickel - Machine Heads: Grover Locking Tuners; 16:1 - Includes: Hard Case (940-ENLPCS) All in all, a rather impressive spec list, especially for a guitar of this price; the real ace-in-the-hole being the Gibson '57 Classic Humbuckers, which I will come to later. The quality locking hard case was also a pleasant surprise. // 10

Sound: My style began as a fairly standard punk/alternative, but I have recently been branching out a little, into more classic rock and metal - put simply, this guitar can handle pretty much anything you want to throw at it, bar ultra-brutal death/extreme metal. I was impressed by the resonance it possessed unplugged, and this translated wonderfully to its amplified voice. The '57 Classics have that timeless Les Paul thickness in the mid-range, but not in an overtly nasal or unpleasant fashion. They are balanced just right - I upgraded to this guitar from an Epiphone Les Paul Special II, which had HOT Alnico V pickups, and I found that although the Tribute's pickups are certainly cleaner, I don't miss it - they have a resonance and power which the old guitar's units simply did not. The bridge unit is a fantastic combination of clarity and punch; it's a tough muscular, juicy rock tone that makes you want to whack the strings hard and feel your amp shift the air. The neck produces a great rounded tone that works for blues soloing or more muted styles. Now, of course, coil-splits are never going to make a guitar of this construction sound like a Tele or Strat, but the extra voicing they add is undeniably excellent - it lowers the volume and output somewhat, which is to be expected, but delivers a noticeable addition of chime at the bridge and a sweeter tone at the neck. Through my AC30VR, I can find an exceptionally broad depth of tones - from Jawbreaker/Fugazi riffs with the humbucker at the bridge to even a little R.E.M on the clean channel, and of course, fiddling with the tone and volume knobs produces yet more useable voices - the pickups clean up very well. My only small gripe is the neck humbucker's overdriven tone, which I don't find myself particularly enamoured by, but it definitely has its uses - at present, I keep it split and with the volume at about 2 or 3, to use as a quasi-clean channel to prevent having to fiddle with a footswitch when playing live, and it performs superbly, delivering a lush, gentle clean tone. The Tribute, in short, is a superbly versatile guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up from the factory was pretty hard to fault, although I did drop the action to facilitate easier bar chording, and now it plays excellently. I have had a small problem with the top nut - when I was stretching in a new set of.11s, a piece chipped off by the low E, but fortunately this has had no effect on the tone or playability. I am going to have the nut replaced as soon as possible, so it is for this reason I am awarding an 8 rather than a 9. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely stand live playing, and I have complete Faith in the hardware, besides that minor irritation with the top nut, but this has had no effect apart from a small cosmetic flaw. The locking tuners make changing strings so much quicker and easier than before, and it holds its tuning even after a lengthy Session of ferocious chording. The finish is most likely a polyester lacquer, and so will most likely be rather hard-wearing. I would happily gig this guitar without a backup, and I feel my trust in it is well placed. // 9

Overall Impression: As I mentioned before, I mainly play alternative/rock/punk styles, and this guitar is pretty much perfect for me. Its tonal versatility means I never find myself wishing I'd bought something else, and although I find myself wanting other guitars to add to my collection, that is more out of want rather than need. This guitar covers all of my bases superbly. My other two guitars are virtually untouched ever since I bought the Tribute - I've been playing for about three years now, and I feel that this guitar is just the right step up in quality. I don't feel my current ability justifies the cost of a Gibson, and if I'm honest, I don't see myself actually needing another guitar for quite some time. I love pretty much everything about it - it is the sound I'd imagined in my head but hadn't been able to achieve with my old Special II, which quite simply didn't have the class that this fine guitar exudes in spades. If it was stolen, I would purchase the same model, without question - I think its price/performance ratio is pretty hard to beat. If you're looking for a Les Paul, but can't justify a Gibson, then look no further. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ DR-500ME 7 Acoustic Guitars 07/16/2014