Wilshire Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 07/03/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Wilshire
Set neck construction, humbucking pick ups and classic white finish are just a few of the outstanding specs.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 4.5
 Features: 9.5
 7.5
 7.1
 7.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
Wilshire Reviewed by: Fwass, on december 29, 2006

Features: 22 frets, two alnico magnet pickups and Standard volume/tone knobs for each (plus that famous "batwing" headstock, nice). I got some extra stuff with mine but nothing special, a few posters and an angled 6 mm lead. It sorta looks like a Strat in that it's double cutaway, but it's unique in that the body is cut away on both sides right up to the 22nd fret. This makes playing 17th fret upwards a helluva lot easier, I found it nearly impossible on my Les Paul! Pickups work very well and I wouldn't upgrade them. // 9

Sound: Interesting one, it's made from mahogany and has a set neck so it has much better sustain than you would expect. Still not a les paul, but plays and sounds very much like one. I'm playing it through a Marshall MG30DFX (I know, it ain't great) but it still sounds nice. If you're willing to mess about with the volume and treble dials on the guitar you can get a good range of sounds from it. I think it's a bit too trebly but that might be due to the amp. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it all falls apart. I took the first one from the factory box and I don't know Who does the quality checking (a blind chimp, perhaps) but the guitar was in quite a state. Two of the knobs were broken (not working), there was a massive chip in the laquer at the front (due to pickguard screw being tightened so tight it took off about 30 mm sq of laquer) and a neck fracture developing. After a lot of arguing with DHL and Epiphone, I got a replacement which was set up fine. However, upon taking this apart the other day, I found that under the surface, everything about this was poorly made. The laquer was poorly finished under the pickguard, connections kept coming loose and a tone knob has recently broken through light indoor playing. Hell, they must have major problems with drilling holes for pickguards, mines got 3 or 4 extra ones where they missed and redrilled them (one of which is too big anyway so the screw just sits in it, not touching the wood). I will never buy a post 2001 Epiphone again, they are terrible. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I originally bought this to gig with but I don't think it could handle it. Who knows when a humbucker might fall out? Or the volume knobs give out altogether? It's resigned to light indoor use now and seems to handle that ok. The very small neck/body joint worries me, even laying the guitar flat on it's back knocks it out of tune because the neck bends so much. Not impressed. // 3

Overall Impression: I play mainly indie/punky stuff (take your shots) and when it wants to, it sounds quite nice. I bought it because of the zany looks and how easy it made playing higher frets (plus Pete Doherty, Jimi Hendrix and that bloke from The Strokes had one). However, this isn't a patch on the original. There's only a few in the UK, and two of them are in my room; one with a huge neck fracture and 2 broken knobs, the other with a weak neck joint and a broken tone knob. Thumbs down to Epiphone on this one, looks to me like they are trying to cash in on a legend by making guitars way too cheaply. If it was stolen, I'd get a Fender '50s Telecaster which is exactly what I've done. // 4

Wilshire Reviewed by: olympicguitar, on july 03, 2014

Features: This is a pretty simple utilitarian guitar. It's made from several pieces of mahogany and has a glued in neck with a rosewood fretboard and some nice attractive looking inlays. Two mini humbuckers, 6 on a side tuners, very cool batwing headstock, 4 push/pull coil splitting t and v knobs a three way toggle switch and a 3 ply pickguard. It should meet the needs of most guitarists. The coil splitting is an awesome feature and allows the player to get a variety of sounds from this guitar. This is what stood out to me most. Other than that everything is relatively simple but great at what it does. And to top it all off this is one sexy beast of a guitar. // 10

Sound: For what it is, this is a lovely sounding guitar. The clean sound is smooth, rich, warm and dark which I love, but can get bright and twangy (almost reminiscent of a strat) when you pull up on the knobs. Great lead sound but maybe a bit trebley at times. When you get some distortion on, this guitar kicks ass big time. It's got a classic thick humbucker crunch perfect for meaty rhythm guitar and offers a nice crunchy lead too. I play mainly classic rock and alt rock, some grunge too, and find it suits my needs very well. It reminds me of early Led Zeppelin. It's probably not the best for shredding or super fast playing though. It's perfect for garage rock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was just fine. When I got it it was in good condition as expected though as I got to know it more I lowered the action and put some better, lighter gauge strings on. I did notice that there was some plastic wrap stuck under the knobs that I had to yank out and I don't know what was up with that. Other than that, when it came to me, nothing was wrong. I know a lot of people have reported getting real crappy Wilshires and given this a low rating. So I get the feeling the quality is inconsistent with these guitars and I just got lucky. // 8

Reliability & Durability: My Wilshire has held up nicely because I treat it well. I'm not rough with it at all though I do strum pretty hard am glad to say it holds tuning well despite my heavy strumming. I don't think this is the most durable guitar though. I've noticed that the knobs and jack are a bit loose and I often end up tightening them up. The toggle switch is starting to get a bit rattly too (just a bit though). The strap buttons are solid as hell and the finish scraping off is not an issue as the pick guard prevents that nicely. I don't do gigs yet but I will certainly want a backup when I start because I know this guitar is on the cheaper end of the spectrum and isn't as sturdy as saaay a nice solid SG or something. That being said I know people who do gig with Wilshires and they haven't had much trouble with theirs so this guitar can be used live. I would always want a backup though. // 9

Overall Impression: Over all this is an awesome guitar and for the price it just can't be beat. It was my first electric and the only electric I own so it really is my baby and I could have some bias because of that. I have been playing for 8 years and do mostly classic rock and I think the Wilshire is totally suited for that genre. If it was stolen or lost I would buy another for sure. I compare it to every guitar I play and find that I often prefer it to guitars that are technically supposed to be better. Example: I played someone else's customized Fender Strat once and somehow still preferred my Wilshire's sound. I think a lot of people who own this guitar will agree that once you really learn to maximize the features it has to offer and get to know it, you'll find yourself really weirdly attached. I think what I love most is that despite the fact that this really is a fantastic guitar, not many people have Wilshires. I can feel like it's kind of my own. The reason I got this (aside from the fact that I was on a budget) and not a Squier Strat was because practically everyone I know has Squier Strats. I wanted something unique to call my own. It's got a wide array of sounds to boast, a nice light weight (perfect for epic stage moves, though a bit heavy on the headstock) and devilish good looks to boot. Great instrument. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheaper guitar or just something unique and interesting. // 10

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Worn Dot Studio 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/08/2014