Worn Dot Studio Review

manufacturer: Epiphone date: 08/08/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Epiphone: Worn Dot Studio
This guitar is a good match for most styles. The guitar is pretty well made, especially considering the price I paid for it.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Reliability & Durability: 9.2
 8.2
 9.1
 7.2
reviews (5) pictures (3) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Worn Dot Studio Reviewed by: shamu1, on august 08, 2014

Features: I have the Dot Studio in Worn Brown finish. This is an extremely stripped down version of the regular Dot guitar by Epiphone, but I actually prefer this model to the Dot. It's lighter than the Dot, and has an airier, more woody sound than the Dot. It's only got two knobs: one tone and one volume, but I like the simplicity of it. The hardware is all black, which I don't like the look of, but they do their jobs well; the guitar isn't hard to set up, and the tailpiece and tune-o-matic bridge are nice and solid, with no rattling or buzzing, and provide enough stability to give the guitar excellent note sustaining quality. The tuners are generic, no-name Epiphone tuners. They hold tune well actually, so I can't complain. This axe is so spare, there aren't even fret markers on the fretboard! I like this look! Fortunately there are fret markers on the side of the neck, so it's not like you'll be playing this guitar with no guidance at all. // 9

Sound: The sound of the Dot Studio is superb. Unlike the regular Dot, this model has a very airy, woody sound, which I love. You can tell if you close your eyes that this is a semi-hollow bodied guitar, even plugged into an amp. It's not very resonant when it's played acoustically (most semis don't sound good to me unplugged), but it springs to life with an amplifier. I play with clean tones almost exclusively, and the Dot Studio really shines on clean settings. Turn up the treble, and you get a nice clean early Beatles type crisp sound that sounds great for old British rock or for blues playing. Turn the treble down, and the guitar sounds awesome for jazz - a nice round, full tone that you normally don't get with anything other than a full hollow body. Jazz is what I usually play on guitar.

The pickups are ugly as sin and look cheap, but don't rush to judgment and automatically assume you'll replace them. They sound really good, with nice crisp highs, a good midrange tone and a full, rich bass. I'm leaving them alone.

It may not look like a heavy metal guitar, but this thing WAILS when played with distortion. It doesn't feed back much, and you can crank out some blistering, ear-melting solos with this guitar cranked. I was very surprised about this, and comes as a nice surprise, even though I think the guitar might look kinda silly at a death metal concert. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The Dot Studio is pretty easy to set up. By raising the tailpiece and adjusting the truss rod a bit, I was able to get the action to a fairly low, comfortable level. The guitar feels very comfortable to play and well balanced. The neck feels like it's really long, which I like, but there's no "neck diving," and it balances well with the rest of the guitar. I like the thick, C-shaped profile of the neck, though this might not appeal to everyone.

I like the feel of this model much more than the regular Dot. To me, the Dot feels unbalanced, overly heavy in the neck, and just uncomfortable. I always feel like I'm fighting with the guitar when I play a Dot. Not so with the Dot Studio - the Studio fits like a glove to me. Regarding the pickups, keep in mind that the neck pickup is a lot hotter than the bridge one, so you'll need to screw down the height of the neck pickup and raise the bridge pickup. Like I said before, they sound really good. The nut on mine, a cheesy black plastic one, is really bad and needs to be replaced. When I use heavier strings (11's and above), the low E and A strings get stuck in the grooves of the nut. It's a cheap fix, though.

The looks of the Studio are such that you'll either really like it or hate it. Some say the satin finish looks cheap. To me, it makes the guitar look woodier and more natural. The only thing I hate about this guitar is the hideous black hardware. It looks cheap and silly. Also, the lack of a pickguard looks a little strange. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I bought my guitar used, and it appears to be fairly old and like it got a lot of use. However, everything looks to be stock, and the whole guitar plays and works like a charm. As long as I don't crush the body, I think this guitar will outlive me. As for the feeling of durability, that's the only area where I think the regular Epi Dot has this one beat. Though the Studio is far from a cardboard guitar, the regular Dot feels like it could survive a nuclear war - it's heavier and it has that bullet-proof urethane varnish all over it that the Studio does not have. I don't play live and am not a professional, so I can't comment on how good it is for live gigs. // 10

Overall Impression: I really love this guitar. The Dot Studio is not only an excellent guitar for the money, it's an excellent guitar period. Granted, it doesn't have the flash and dash, or the cosmetic attention to details of, say, a Gibson Les Paul Standard, but it's wonderfully playable and has a great resonant sound, better than most semi-hollow body guitars I've played. I say these as someone who owns many Gibsons, Gretsches, Fenders, etc. and much more expensive guitars than this one. This guitar is a HUGE bargain and would be suitable for anyone from a beginner to a professional. I am so impressed with the Epiphone Dot Studio. // 10

Worn Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2010

Features: Got it last year (2009) worn cherry which is a rich red. Stock pickups (open HB). No special features, black hardware, binding, and pickups. Hot bridge pickup though. Standard scale - 22 frets. Satin finish which starts to Shine from your arm rubbing it. Stop tailpiece, fully adjustable bridge. Standard double cutaway, semi-hollow body with F-holes. // 9

Sound: Put jazz strings on (12-52). Smoothed out the sound for a more mellow jazz sound when playing rhythm. If I use "on the edge" distortion, it's smooth and I can get heavy, sustaining distortion with out any effort (Crate GT500H amp with 2-12" Jensen Vibranto speakers - open backed cab). The tone works fine from bright to mellow and is thick enough for "chunk" sounds. The amp and speakers are the weakest link in any setup so scrap the Marshalls and get older all tube amps! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Mine came in perfect condition. Only set it up with a string change for the heavier guage. The pic online was a faded cherry but it came in a rich red. I contacted the vendor and they have since changed the pic. F-holes are "blackened" in. No dots in the neck. Still beautiful as far as the "look"! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing it live for a year now but replaced the strap buttons with strap loks. (only for security - the originals were ok). The finish does seem to "shine" when played for a while - right arm tends to polish the matte finish. My amp at church (Peavey Triumph 60 head) is problematic but otherwise the sound is great. I also play it through a Leslie (homemade) and it has the true "guitar through a Leslie" sound! // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for most styles if you aren't "anal" about the result. I've played rock, Christian, folk, and some heavy stuff and it shines with the right amp settings. I'd buy one again and have no regrets with the purchase. Other than the "work" involved with changing pickups, I'd like to install a set of SD Jazz P/Us. A pickguard would have been nice! I ordered one from StewMac and installed it myself - same as LesPaul. And it preserves the top! (recommended) // 9

Worn Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 05, 2010

Purchased from: Rainbow Music

Features: The Epiphone Dot Studio (in worn cherry) I bought a year ago was manufactured (I think) in Japan. It features a 3 way selecctor a Master tone and volume a tune o matic bridge kluson tuners and 22 frets (all hardware black). I think the body and neck is mahogany, the fretboard is rosewood. The original pickups were Alnico V Plus hiumbuckers. I changed the bridge to an EMG HZ and with it I reiceived a strap cable and strings courtesy of the dealer. // 9

Sound: My style is hard rock/metal so thats why I put in the EMG in, the guitar itself can go high gain (my preferred setting) and for clean sounds I use the neck pickup it suits it very good on both settings so it can put up with my style. My practice amp is a Marshall VS65R my main amp is a Peavey 6505+ with a mesa 4x12 cab with a Behringer pahse shifter and ds-1 by Boss and now a Boss me-25. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is ok and the pickups were in the middle I prefer to lower them on 1 side which I did. The guitar itself contained a poorly cut nut which I sorted everything else was fine. I'm not a guitar expert but everything is good enough to handle a long time of energetic shows:) // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar has played with me around 30 shows which it lasted I use it with an identical as a backup the finish seems to be lasting and its very worthy and dependable it s a guitar which will last me a long time hopefully. The guitar's strap buttons/holders or whatever you call them are very solid. // 9

Overall Impression: As I said I play hard rock/metal with the EMG its a great match without the guitar I'd be playing a starter pack probably. I've been playing about 3 years my other guitars are an identical version of this one and a Sqier starter guitar with SRV pickups I didn't compare this to anything else it stood out for me straight away I love everything except its original pickups so that's what I hate my favourite feature are the tuners (jimmy page used the same model!!!) // 9

Worn Dot Studio Reviewed by: guitarmaster01, on may 05, 2011

Purchased from: Best Buy

Features: Made in China. 22 frets, full size, jumbo, fat neck, rosewood fretboard, solid top. Body and neck cherry. Finish, satin and worn. Double cutaway. Tune-o-matic. Volume tone and pickup selection. Gibson pickups. Non locking tuners. The pickup selector lets you use a different pickup for a different sound. // 10

Sound: Perfectly in blues and rock. Peavey 258EFX, reverb. Screaming on overdrive with reverb. Lots of variety, from clean to metal. The blues and rock you can play on this guitar is fantastic and can fit any players style and comfortably. The sound is not muddy because there is a neck pickup. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was not that great. Pickups were adjusted perfectly. Bridge is sturdy and secure. No flaws what so ever. The factory set the action ok it needed adjusted and the frets needed a little work. The pickups were perfect and sounded great and played to the guitars style. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Yes this guitar will is great it stands any abuse. Yes it last fine no rust or damage I can see. Yes I have not broke any strap buttons. Yes this guitar is very reliable, yes I use it in gigs. The finish is shiny and no paint chipping. This guitar is really durable I haven't had any problems with the hardware or paint. It looks as good as it did when I bought it. // 10

Overall Impression: Blues and Bad ass rock. Six years, I use a Gibson Les Paul Jr. And a Gibson ES-335, and a Marshall MG412 Half-Stack. No Questions. I would buy it Again and buy something cooler. I love everything about it, I don't hate anything. Pickup selector is my favorite. I chose this guitar because it fit my playing style. I wish it had a Bigsby. // 10

Worn Dot Studio Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 20, 2012

Price paid: € 215

Purchased from: Thomann (Germany)

Features: 2012 Epiphone Dot Studio archtop semi-acoustic. (Made in China). Purchased from Thomann (Germany). They were the cheapest I could find online. Only took 2 days to arrive too. I'm in the UK btw. - Worn Vintage Sunburst satin finish - Tune-o-matic bridge - 22 medium frets - Mahogany body, maple neck, rosewood fret-board - Grover tuners. Stay in tune pretty well even after serious string bends. - Alnico humbuckers This is my first ever review of a guitar so probably won't be that great. But here goes anywho. // 8

Sound: Only had the guitar a couple of days so not really experimented with the range of sounds I can get, but on first listen looks like a nice range of sounds can be achieved. I'm using an old Yamaha JX40 transistor amp which has seen better days so not the best platform to judge the pups really. But even so, I like what I hear so far. Definitely sounds a lot different from my Strat. A nice change actually. Ok, so the pots are a bit scratchy and the tone pot doesn't really do that much, but I'll be changing them anyway. So no biggy. Noise wise (white noise), virtually none. And the little there is is probably due to my amp. No hum of course. Tested against an old CRT monitor I've got lying around. Put the guitar right up against it. Not a peep. Seems Epiphone have put some decent bucking pups on board. For anybody whose interested the protective polythene covers that are over the pups say: - Designed by Epiphone USA - Alnico Classic Magnets - Double Vacuumm Waxed - Enamel wire Anyway. Proof of the pudding. Here's a sample of how the guitar sounds on the bridge pickup. (a little bit of reverb and chorus on the amp here). Recorded straight from my amp's headphone socket to my PC:

// 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up wise: Came with heavier gauge strings (10s or 11s) than I normally used to. The intonation was bang on. Action about 1mm on the 1st string at the 12th fret, 2.5mm on the 6th string at the 12th fret... So a bit high. Basically, the bridge was set way too high towards the bass end. But brought that down to give an action of 1mm to about 1.5mm from 1st to 6th string... With no fret buzz at this height. The plastic nut needs a bit of work tho... A bit high on the 5th and 6th strings. Will be replacing that anyway. The finish on my guitar was almost flawless, a couple of little blemishes around one of the f-holes and a little pin-head sized ding between the saddle and the bridge... Otherwise all good. Frets were perfect... Smooth with no burrs or sharp edges. One of my tunning pegs tho is slightly out of line (the 5th string) so that the 6th string almost touches the 5th string peg... Only about a half mill clearance... But again no biggy really. I can live with that. Overall I'd say the guitar is pretty well made, especially considering the price I paid for it. (215 Euros/175). If you're on a tight budget and looking for a half-decent semi-acoustic then you could do a lot worse than the DS. Yeah... A "John Lennon 1965 Revolution Casino" or a "JL 70th Birthday Casino" would probably be better... But you'd need a second mortage for those. LOL. Spend a couple of hundred on the Dot Studio and you can still keep the house and get a nice little axe into the bargain... Oh, as for the lack of fret markers on the front. (Yeah, I know. Crazy. The "Dot" Studio has no dots). LOL. I kinda thought twice about that before buying the DS. But then I thought I can always add those later. Turns out I won't now. Only had the guitar a few days and already I'm used to the lack of front markers. The dots along the side are just as easy to use (after a few hours playing). In fact, playing my Strat now seems weird with the markers. Think I'll take them off. LOL. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Only play at home myself. But I'd say physically that the guitar could take a good bashing. Pretty solidly put together. Never use a strap so couldn't say if the strap buttons would do their job. But easily replaced if they don't. I'd definitely replace the volume and tone pots tho. // 8

Overall Impression: Been playing seriously (again) for about the last 4 years. I play anything from jazz, blues, rock. Even reggae if the mood takes me. This guitar sounds as tho it'll be able to handle all those styles no problem. Yeah, I'd buy the Dot Studio again without a doubt. Especially at the price I paid for it. Yep, a "little money" well spent I reckon. // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ EJ-200CE 8 Acoustic Guitars 12/19/2014