Worn G-400 Review

6.1
reviews (5) 20 comments vote for this gear:
Worn G-400 Reviewed by: Robbgnarly, on march 07, 2011

Purchased from: AMS

Features: Mine is a 2009 I believe made in china. 2 volume, 2 tone, and a 3 way togle switch. Satin brown solid mahogany with a set mahogany neck. Trapezoid inlays. Grover romantic tuners. 2 humbuckers(Epi designed) It looks just like its Gibson counterpart minus the head stock. // 8

Sound: The stock sound is ok but not great. The neck p/u is very warm and big sounding(it actualy is nice), but the Bridge p/u is very muddy and undefined. You can solve a little of this by adjusting the pole peices. It is not extremely noisy stock and deffinately has that Vintage vibe and sound. Now if you replace even only the Bridge p/u you can transform this little budget axe to a fire breathing monster. I rated this on stock sound, but if you mod this guitar it is an easy 9-9 1/2 sound wise. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was pure crap, even the intonation was off. But a little TLC and this is a real players guitar. The frets were level with no sharp edges. The hardware is also very nice, no loose screws or parts. All in all a very well made instrument, and I'm comparing the build quality to a USA PRS CE22(obviously a better made guitar, but also 6 times the price). If you properly set this guitar up it's a 9. // 7

Reliability & Durability: No problems at all giging with this guitar. The finish is very nice, but not the quality of there high end counterparts(come on its a $300 solid mahogany guitar), but good none the less. Although I normaly always carry a back up, I have used this many times with out and never a problem. The hardware is very sturdy and will take the normal "abuse" of playing. // 8

Overall Impression: This is one of the most amazing guitars I have come across(yes you can find better, but not at this price point) that's under $500. Sure its not perfect, but with a little tweeking and a p/u swap you can have a very nice sounding and playing guitar for less than $400 new. This was the first Epiphone I ever purchased(I'm a PRS/Gibson guy) but I doubt it will be the last. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. // 10

Worn G-400 Reviewed by: TheWho2, on march 09, 2011

Purchased from: Music go round

Features: I got mine used as a gift. It is a 2008 I believe not sure where it was made. 2 volume, 2 tone, and a 3 way toggle switch. Satin red finish with a solid mahogany body and a worn looking set mahogany neck with a 22 fret rosewood fret board. Wornish looking Trapezoid inlays. Grover cromantic tuners. 2 Alnico V humbuckers. A tune-o-matic Bridge and stop bar tailpiece. // 9

Sound: I play classic rock, jazz and blues. I can get a nice-round jazz tone with the neck pup. The Bridge pup isn't the best but I don't use it that much and when I do I roll the tone down a bit, and can get a good heavy zeppelin/the who tone. I can play anything from Eric Clapton(cream) to led zeppelin. I play it through a Fender Stage 160 or a Fender Champion 110, with a Vox v847a wah > Boss blues driver > Ibanez tube screamer(sometimes) > DigiTech jamman looper(when practicing) > amp. It is not noisy at all. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: the guy who owned it before me set it up and the action was perfect, just when my strings get old, I start to hear dead notes on the upper strings. In my position the "action, fit & finish" was great since I got mine used so I can't really make a good comment for this section. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will be okay for gigs. The neck weighs more than the body so you constantly have to hold the guitar up which will get annoying after a while. The strap buttons are crap, my strap always kept falling off so I had to gt strap locks. I wouldn't go to a gig with out a backup, though my main guitar is my stratocaster, I would only play a few songs with this guitar because of its awkward weight(neck drooping). The toggle Switch on mine gives out, when I go to change I have to move it back and fourth till it turns the pickup on. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar is a pretty good fit for my music. But I like my Strat better. I've been playing for around 4 or 5 years. I also own a Fender Mex Strat. If this was stolen/lost I probably wouldn't get another one, I'll probably would either get another Strat or a semi-hollow. I wish it had a coil-splitter. // 8

Worn G-400 Reviewed by: Most_Triumphant, on march 21, 2011

Features: I got the Worn G-400(also know as the Faded G-400) in 2009 for Christmas from my Dad so I don't now the year and where it was made. It has 22 Frets and a set neck. It is made out of all mahogany which gives it a nice tone. I have the satin cherry finish which looks amazing! The neck inlays even have an aged look to go with the Vintage feel. It has very easy access to the 22 fret. The G-400 has a Standard Tune-O-Matic Bridge and Grover Tuners. It has 2 Alinco V Humbuckers that give it a classic crunch. The neck pickup is a 57n and it has a HOT-B in the neck position. It came with a hard shell case(no extra cost). // 9

Sound: It suits my Classic Rock style perfectly for the price. It can give you a nice overdriven Pete Townshend or Angus Young tone. I find the neck pickup to be a little muddy which can be a good thing depending on the song. The clean tones are some what lacking but lets state the obvious. You're not going to buy an SG style guitar to play jazz. The G-400 wants to rock, and rock alone. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a little high but it was easy to adjust it. The pickups were adjusted to a nice level; not too high or low. The finish was spotless and is pretty hard to chip. The pickup selector and controls are fine they don't make a noise when I turn them. The only thing I had a problem was with the turning pegs. They tend to turn loose from time to time. It is a SG so it is neck heavy but I got used to it. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a wooden tank. I have dropped it and it didn't even chip the finish or the wood. I have had the guitar for 2 years and the hardware has lasted and never rusted. The bottom strap button was loose but because I use it on stage I have but strap locks on it. I have gigged with it without a backup and it was fine. Usually I bring a backup just in case though. The finish is great, it hasn't worn off or anything. // 8

Overall Impression: It does a great Angus Young impression I play it through a Boss sd-1 overdrive pedal and a Fender Vibro Champ XD amplifier. It sounds really good if you play with the EQ settings enough. I'm very impressed with this guitar. If it was stolen I would probably buy a new one. I love the Bridge pickup it is so crunchy and it gives a great Vintage sound. I tried out the normal G-400 and this one beat it for a $100 less. All in all I love this guitar. // 9

Worn G-400 Reviewed by: R4R45, on july 04, 2011

Features: I got this guitar for my birthday this year, not sure what year it was made, perhaps 2009/2010. It has two volume, two tone and a 3-way toggle pickup selector. Worn cherry with solid mahogany body and neck, trapezoid inlays, humbucker pickups (twin Alnico Classic), Grover tuners, tune-o-matic bridge, and set neck. The pickguard is also a batwing, so not the full pickguard. // 9

Sound: I play a range of styles, rock, classic rock, punk, pop, bluesy. This guitar can do it all. I play this axe through a Peavey Rage 158, and my effects pedal is a Korg Toneworks AX10G. The Bridge pickup can sometimes be a little muddy when I'm playing with distortion, but when playing clean the sound is crisp, but creamy. The neck pickup is really nice, and it has a really good warm sound to it. There is hardly any feeback, but there is a little from the Bridge pickup. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: When I first unpacked this guitar from it's box, I hated the thing. The action was way too high, the strings were heavy and hard, and the neck weighed the whole thing down if I was standing up with a strap. But I fixed the action, it's now alright. Being a previous Ibanez player, I think my expectations were too high, as the action on the Ibanez I was playing was VERY low. I think the pickups were fine when I got it, and there were no flaws at all on this guitar. Now it's so comfortable to play, and I actually like the fat neck. Yeah sure, it was a nuisance at first, but I grew to love it. The tuners are reasonably good too. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would play this guitar live. It definitely has what it takes. The strap buttons are fairly good, and I've only ever once experience my strap coming off, but I'm sure that was a one off. I would use it without a backup at a gig easily. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing guitar for about 4 years, but I only got into it seriously about a year and a half ago. I wish that I could have played an SG and gotten the feel of it before I got this, but I've grown to really like the feel of an SG. If this guitar was stolen, I would hunt down the arse who stole it beat them with a chainsaw. But if I couldn't find who stole it, I would buy it again, or I would save up for a Fender Telecaster 72 Deluxe, or a real Gibson. The thing I love most about this guitar is the body. It really is a unique body shape, and it just looks kick-a-s compared to everything else. I only wish that I had bought the G-400 re issue, because of the full pickguard. But all in all, this guitar is definitely worth it. // 9

Worn G-400 Reviewed by: nvie4321, on march 31, 2014

Purchased from: www.guitarguitar.co.uk

Features: An Epiphone G400 SG in worn cherry made in China with a set neck (slim taper D profile) that gives it more sustain. It comes stock with Alnico Classic Pro humbuckers. The body and neck are mahogany and a rosewood fingerboard with mother-of-pearl trapezoid inlay and a 12" radius. It has locking grover tuners with a LockTone Tune-o-matic bridge and stopbbar tailpiece. 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. If you do put in a bit more money to buy the G400 Pro, you'll get a lacquered body and coil tap. Guitarguitar.co.uk included an Akai Drive3 Overdrive pedal (RRP £60 give or take) as a promotional item. This offer is still available. // 8

Sound: I mostly play grunge and hard rock, sometimes even metal at times (although not too often) and this guitar has good looks and sound for those genres. I play it through a Line 6 Spider IV 15 watt practice amplifier (I know, very budget rig but this is my first guitar... But still take notice of my review as I have a lot to compare it too) and use an Akai Drive3 (previously mentioned). It sounds quite good with the stock pickups through my amp with moderate gain. The cleans are meh but what the hell are you buying an SG for if your going to spend most of your time on the clean channel! Bridge pickup is nice and bright (and a lot louder volume than the neck one too!) and the neck pickup has a nice warm tone. With too much gain the guitar can sound more muddy but that's the case with many guitars and my amp/pedal could be to blame aswell. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Now here's the worse part of my review:

The pickup height is just fine but the action is a few mm too high. Lowering the action causes even more fret buzz on the top two strings than it already has (which is a lot). I have tried adjusting the truss rod and fiddling with the action, I've tried gauges 9, 8, 10 and 11 strings but to no avail. Still, the buzz isn't picked up at all on the amp and the action is fine for chords and some single string riff stuff just not shredding (which I do not do at all). Another thing which affects me and pretty much everyone greatly is that it is extremely neck heavy which is a real downer (literally). There have been times where I have let go of my guitar to pick up a plectrum of something of that sort and the guitar has dived straight to the floor and on occasion hit the headstock! // 5

Reliability & Durability: The guitar build quality is outstanding! I've played USA Fenders, Gibson Les Paul's and even the Gibson SG counterpart and the quality of the actual guitar is almost up to par with those. Upgrade the pickups, counter balance the neck dive and you'll have a "fine 'n' dandy gitar" that will easily handle small-medium gigs without the need of a backup although you should still have one no matter what guitar you're using! And of course there's no lacquer to be worn away, it's already worn! I have banged the body on multiple occasions (it happens) and there are no marks to show that it has been dinged... Except a minute one on the top of the headstock where it dived to the floor. // 9

Overall Impression: A very good starter guitar (first or second guitar), good for low to medium gain without sounding muddy, cheap, extremely good build quality. You could fix the action at a guitar shop if you took it into them but I haven't had a chance to do that. If your looking for your first guitar or looking to upgrade from those sh-tty starter pack guitar in one plain black colour, go for this one! Despite the few flaws (few even though they maybe be substantial), this guitar is a must have. I've owned this guitar for about 3 months (got it for Christmas!) and my skills have vastly improved without the need of lessons (before I was lent a Squier Affinity Start which was absolute dog sh-t!) // 8

More Epiphone reviews rating category latest review
+ Dot 8.7 Electric Guitars 09/22/2014