Majesty Review

manufacturer: Ernie Ball / Music Man date: 05/28/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Ernie Ball / Music Man: Majesty
This signature John Petrucci guitar is a professional level guitar that will not disappoint in any way.
 9.4
 8.8
review (1) pictures (2) 31 comments vote for this gear:
Majesty Reviewed by: shredlegend, on may 28, 2014

Purchased from: SweetWater

Features: Signature John Petrucci guitar with premium tonewoods and components.

- Unique body design incorporates a mahogany neck-through design with basswood wings that's topped with a maple cap
- Mahogany neck sports an ebony fretboard with a 17" radius
- Recessed neck heel gives you clear access to all 24 frets
- DiMarzio John Petrucci signature Illuminator pickups
- Custom-designed tremolo with piezo pickup for expressive playing with reliable performance
- Locking tuners offer tuning stability and easy string changes
- Stainless steel frets will last a lifetime

- Body Type: Majesty
- Number of Pickups: 2
- Neck Pickup: DiMarzio Illuminator humbucker
- Middle Pickup: No middle pickup
- Bridge Pickup: DiMarzio Illuminator humbucker
- Controls: 3 x volume (2 x push/push), 3-way pickup selector, 3-way magnetic pickup selector
- Strings: .009 - .042
- Case Included: Hardshell case included
- Manufacturer Part Number: 600-M1-50-00. // 10

Sound: This guitar has breathed new life into my Axe FX II. After I adjusted all of my favorite utlra-res presets and IRs to this new guitar, I was blown away by how full it sounded in every pickup position. Cleans are very crisp, especially through the piezo pickup position which honestly doesn't even need any effects or eq to sound awesome. These Illuminator pickups have some serious sustain through the body of this guitar.

How does it play: I couldn't ask for more out of the playability of this guitar. The access on this thing is ridiculous. 24th fret, no problem. I can easily do sweep arpeggios hitting the 24th fret! The contours of the neck, smooth fretboard, and amazing anchor positions for the hand, make this guitar sing through your playing. I can't say enough about how good this guitar plays. It came perfectly setup AND in tune right out of the box. I think it comes with 11s or a hybrid gauge, but I am digging it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Extremely light (at under 7 pounds). Very smooth ebony fret board just aching to be played. Black pearl/chrome hardware/switches very nice feelings and in very player friendly positions. Finish/surface is cool to the touch. Doesn't leave easily visible fingerprints. Body contours lets it drape across my lap just as comfortably as if I were standing. Setup out of the box was incredible by the guys at EBMM/Sweetwater, if only all of my guitars were this well setup. Really made this guitar sing in its true colors with nothing holding it back. // 10

Reliability & Durability: What I love? - The look, the feel, and the sound.

What I hate? - The price tag, but 24 months at 0% interest is pretty legit.

What I wish? - I wish I had the 7 string model too.

Compared to JP6? Don't get me wrong, the JP6 was and still is a very nice guitar, but the Majesty is at a whole new level of craftsmanship and sound. Also, my JP6 was nowhere near as well setup as this guitar, which is my own fault, but whatever

Would I recommend? If you have the money, absolutely. Would I sell my Axe FX II to get one, not quite, these two are perfect for each other, they create tonegasms. Would I sell every other guitar of mine to purchase this one if I didn't have the money, yes, in fact, I did sell my ESP Eclipse S-1000 to help with the cost. // 10

Overall Impression: I wouldn't recommend this guitar for a noob player for sure, because it's not very justifiable in my opinion unless you have been playing consistently long enough to be able to do some impressive guitar work (not that my playing is anything special, but I do alright). This is a professional level guitar that will not disappoint in any way in my opinion. This is one of those pieces of gear that will never leave my side as long as I can help it. // 10

More Ernie Ball / Music Man reviews rating category latest review