Axxion Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: Axxion
A truly unique sculpted body and headstock design, featuring double XX custom inlays and Seymour Duncan pickups. Mean, menacing, and built for high-performance metal, the Axxion has arrived.
 Features: 9.5
 8.7
 9.1
 8.2
reviews (2) 18 comments vote for this gear:
Axxion Reviewed by: angelcommand, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Factory

Features: Axxion (pronounced 'action'): Neck: - 24 jumbo frets - 3 piece mahogany neck - Ebony fingerboard - Custom 'xx' inlays Body: - Neck-thru-body construction 25.5" scale - Mahogany body - Dunlop Flushmount strap locks - TonePros locking bridge with string-thru-body Electric: - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz humbuca pickups, 2 volume and 1 tone control knobs and a 3-way toggle - Sperzel locking tunners. // 9

Sound: The Axxion is a sig. guitar from the Mustaine series. This guitar was specifically made for a new style of metal and hard rock. Its sound is amazing due to to its very unique body shape. To best describe its sound, it is never-brfore-heard and interesting. You can buy the V's for its metal sound or you can buy a Les Paul for its tranquility, but playing or listening to an Axxion for the first time: its really weird, amazing but weird. I would recommend people whos have difficulty understanding to listen to Megadeth's 'In My Darkest Hour' where these guitars are expressed. The Axxion's sound is very distorted and unnatural. Dont forget: it's the body of the Axxion that really makes its sound, no matter how many times you try and change your amps or replace its pickups oyu will make very little impact. This guitar will only satisfy your style if you fully understand the sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The stock Axxion is already very well tuned and prepared for a good thrashing, it had no suprising glitches and sratches. Its durability is above normal and its locking tuners stay place even in harsh bumps and drops. Its body shape is very comfortable while in a siting position and indeed while standing up, however, while performing on-stage acrobats I would say that it gets painful around the sharp edges! // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Axxion can withstand non stop playing especially in live concerts and other gigs. Like the the ESP V's, the Axxion has screw on strap lock so you can shake it all you want it wont come off. Like its ESP brothers this guitar can be very dependable. // 8

Overall Impression: I usually play hard rock, metal and thrash and this guitar is only used for certain songs I'm afraid. Its unique sound has just been conceived and is yet to be expressed to its full potetial. I'm 15 and I've only been playing for a year, I must have some family genes 'cause I'm a natural. However I can still appreciate its magnitude. If it were stolen I'd kill the person and get it back! I wish it had a pick with it I keep loosing them! // 8

Axxion Reviewed by: AtillaTR, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: A$ 1500

Features: OK. First of all, this guitar is the best equipped guitar I've ever owned. Made in 2005, Korean. Got 24 frets, an excellent, oily kinda (not as grainy like Jacksons) rosewood fretboard, not heavy mahogany body, and 3 piece maple neck. Solid, sustaining Neck-thru construction. Let me tell you what I love about this guitar: Sperzel tuners. Boy cannot think of a guitar that has easier system to change the strings, stays in tune OK too. I hate floyd rose, therefore this axe got string-thru TonePros bridge. Its got Seymour Duncan sb/jz set. I love how these pups are so versatile. // 10

Sound: I play thrash metal and only thrash. It suits to my taste well. I am using it through DigiTech RP355 (so much recommended!) and a cheap pair of headphones. My ears are not well trained so I can't tell you how the guitar really sounds like/should sound like. But I can tell you it sounds like a mahogany, not so bright, not so muddy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set pretty low, and I love that, no fret buzzes, although now I am getting 2 fret buzzes on the G and B strings both on the 22th fret. I think its normal since my action is pretty low and I haven't adjusted the truss rod but I should have due to the season change (I USED TO USE MY HEATER LIKE 15 HOURS A DAY, now we're in summer). The only flaw the guitar has on the back and front there are some holes that are painted, like imagine you're hitting a wall with a small screw and making a small hole there, then painting the wall, its like that. I mean its not very visible but its still a flaw. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have never gigged with it, so I wouldn't know. But I think its reliable, since its a neck-thru guitar and didn't have any problems so far for the 6 months I have owned. When I got the guitar for some reason, it didn't came with Dunlop flashmount strap buttons, I was like what the f--king hell man. So when I have enough buck I will go get a pair of strap buttons. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar's look is absolutely unique, when I saw it I said damn I will def. get this axe. When I don't play it, I watch it (really). As I said, I love the sperzel tuners, its look and string-thru and neck-thru features. Higher frets are very easy to reach dude. Rosewood fingerboard just plays like butter. If it was stolen, and if I can find another one (these are not produced anymore, very limited!) I would 100% go get another one or would try Peavey V-type. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD EX-50 7.9 Electric Guitars 04/18/2014