E-FR-130GT Edwards Forest Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: E-FR-130GT Edwards Forest
It's so natural yet beefy it's a perfect mix of heavy, light, sharp, and blunt in terms of tone capabilities.
 9.4
 9.2
 9.6
review (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
E-FR-130GT Edwards Forest Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Musicians Warehouse Dubai

Features: This guitar I'm not too sure when it was manufactured but it was made in Japan according to the back of the headstock. It has 24 jumbo frets, 25.5 scale. An ebony fingerboard, 9 piece walnut maple neck, neck thru with ash body wings, an original floyd rose equipped with Seymour Duncan SH1 in the neck and an TB4 in the bridge. This guitar also comes with one volume knob, tone knob, three-way mini toggle and a pu flip switch that I have yet to discover what it does. Alongside with it is comes with Gotoh tuners with a gorgeous see thru black flame maple finish (best I can describe it). When I got it I got a regular ESP padded case that the dealer was nice enough to let me have just in case as Edwards don't give anything but the guitar with their purchase. In terms of shape, I don't know how to describe it but as something that only japan would create, its just amazing and the design doesn't bother me playing and in fact is very comfortable with its thin neck dimensions alongside the high fret access I have yet to find on any other guitar. In terms of specification I think as a stock model it is a loaded guitar. I hardly think I would want to add any more to it. // 10

Sound: I would like to say in terms of my playing style, I am mostly a progressive/shred metal player, or at least I hope to think I am one. But regardless I enjoy various genres and play whatever I feel like. This guitar suits almost most of the song choices I tend to have upon whim and because of its features (not shape) it accommodates what I search for in an electric guitar. Great distortion and excellent cleans. I use it with a Blackstar HT Club 40 amplifier, a Kustom RG212 SS amp, and as for effects I use nothing. Just direct into the amp, that way I get the full unadulterated feel of the tone and sound of the guitar and amp (also I like playing direct). This guitar is not noisy at all but in fact holds up to the look that it gives alongside its playability. I usually play on high treble high mids settings, as I like to hear my notes ring out so I can point out mistakes if I go too fast or too sloppy and therefore I can recognize and fix them easier. This guitar can go from any genre to any genre, all one has to do is just understand what they have in their hands and just tweek their amp to as close as they can get to their desired sound. To me it fulfills all the requirements I would ever have for a guitar and in terms of variety, I theoretically can say it would suit at least 80% of the natural music genres produced very close to efficiency in terms of accommodation. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Guitar was mint, nothing to change whatsoever, action was a slight low for me but nothing a 2 min fix wouldn't do. Pickups were immaculate in terms of adjustment and in terms of a set up it was flawless. This guitar was picked up by me and I am very nitpicky in terms of the aesthetic features of any instrument I purchase. So far after a 2 hour inspection prior to purchase at the guitar store I just tried as hard as possible to find a flaw which I failed to which resulted in me just picking it up and leaving out the door and finishing off the anxiety I had within. Nothing was wrong with this guitar, absolutely nothing. The store did an excellent job of maintaining this instrument until customer purchase. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Because of its 9 piece neck, I think its impossible for this guitar to warp in terms of neck. As for the construction overall, this guitar can take a few solid beatings and still go strong. It can survive the core of the earth in terms of solidity of build. The hardware seems to look like it can stand pressure but as for the forces of nature, only time will tell but seems to look like it wont be an issue because of the stainless high quality hardware used on this. I can depend on this guitar without a spare or backup. After playing it for the first 2 days I believe this can stand on its own and hold its ground. The finish is very high quality and I doubt it will wear off so easily. This guitar seems like the luthier had it in his mind to produce something that would be built to last. In terms of normal playability wear and tear, this guitar would probably last until the time comes for the hobbits to come out and play lol. Just kidding, this guitar will last forever. // 9

Overall Impression: Guitar is a great match for what I play and I thoroughly enjoy playing this in comparison to my Ibanez RGA321F, Cort EVLK47B, and Dean Black Gold Explorer. I wish I had asked for a solid case for the guitar as to protect it from the elements. If it were stolen or lost I'd most definitely buy another one (diff color of course). I love everything about it but I dislike the ebony fretboard as I feel I can't get a good enough feel out of it and my taste being that of rosewood. My favorite feature is the neck and tone of this guitar. Its so natural yet beefy its a perfect mix of heavy, light, sharp, and blunt in terms of tone capabilities. I compared it to a few others but they were all lacking in which this guitar had it all except for the funky shape. I wish it had a standard coil tap, a drop tune feature that's about it, other than that this thing is fully loaded like a $250,000 BMW. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-103QM 8 Electric Guitars 08/07/2014