Edwards E-AL-128 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: Edwards E-AL-128
This is the Alexi Laiho Arrowhead model, an excellent, simple guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 9.3
 9.2
 9.4
reviews (2) 37 comments vote for this gear:
Edwards E-AL-128 Reviewed by: Shinozoku, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: Not sure what year it was made, but I'm almost positive that it was made in Japan. I don't have it next to me at the moment to check, sadly. This is the Alexi Laiho Arrowhead model, by the way. 3-piece maple neck, thru-body. Unfinished. Ebony fretboard w/ 24 frets and MOP Arrowhead inlays. Solid alder body Rhoads V shape with a cutaway. Black finish with yellow stripes along the inside of the bevel (they have a slightly orange tint not seen in the photos online that matches the hardware nicely). Gotoh tuners, original Floyd Rose trem system, single volume control, all gold plated. Passive EMG HZ-H4 pickup. Gig bag, whammy bar, allen wrenches for the nut and bridge, truss rod wrench, and Schaller strap locks. An excellent, simple guitar made for Alexi. I'd prefer a second pickup, as well as a different kind of pickup (like an active EMG or DiMarzios), but I couldn't pass up the looks. Plus, I rarely use the neck pickup, and I can swap this one out for practically nothing when I want to. // 8

Sound: I play metal of all varieties pretty much, as well as some classic rock and shred. I have a Kramer that I use for stuff that requires other pickups, but this guitar suits my main style (which might I remind you is METAL) just fine. What I've noticed is it's actually very easy to get a classic metal sound out of this as well, reminiscent of Iron Maiden. And a little bit of tweaking will nail Alexi's tone. I play this through an Ibanez TB25R (the old one), so I can't say how this would sound through a good tube amp, but it's still a big improvement over my Kramer. I must say though, that the HZ isn't as high-output as it's active counterpart, so you'll need to put heavier strings on your guitar or turn your gain up to get the desired distortion out of it. I plan on replacing it soon with a DiMarzio D-Activator or something else (I need to try out other pickups before I decide). In addition, the sound is very clear and articulate, and the harmonics are great, but the sustain is lacking. Above the 12th fret I can't get much more than about 5 seconds out of a note. I've read elsewhere that Edwards guitars tend to not have much sustain. But that was only after I bought this. Still, I can work around that problem for now. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar arrived to me with it's strings lossened for shipping, but once I tuned it up (the bridge was adjusted for Standard tuning, of course) it played like sex on a slab of butter. I planned on raising the pickup, but when I looked at it I noticed it was already fairly close to the strings, so I didn't touch it for fear of getting it too close. The binding on the neck had some black, feathery looking patterning around where it meets the fretboard, but it took a long time to notice this. Other than that, I didn't notice any asthetic flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This feels like a tank in my hands, so I think it could handle live playing. The hardware is solid, the strap locks will not come loose, and I would probably trust it without a backup. I don't abuse the whammy bar much, so I don't have to worry about breaking a string. The finish is thin (you can see just how thin at the base of the neck, where the finish stops), but it seems durable enough. // 10

Overall Impression: I've played guitar for about 5 years now, and I own an Ibanez Artcore hollowbody, a Kramer 610, Jasmine acoustic (piece of crap that looks pretty), and the aforementioned Ibanez amp. This is the best guitar in my collection and I wouldn't sell it for anything (especially since it was a graduation present from my mom). I wish I had done some more research on Edwards guitars before I got it though, because of the sustain. Otherwise, if it were stolen, I'd figre out Who did it, take it back and impale the thief on it's pointy wing. // 9

Edwards E-AL-128 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: A$ 1600

Purchased from: ebay

Features: Made in Japan. Alder Body, Maple NEck thru, Ebony Fretboard, 24 xtra jumbo Frets, Sawtooth Inlays, Scale 25,5" (648mm), 1x passive EMG HZ-H4 Humbucker Pickups, 1 Volumecontrol, Floyd Rose original Tremolo, Finish Black with white Pin Stripe,GOTOH SG360-07 tuners. Thin u-shaped neck. // 9

Sound: This thing is made for metal.simple as that. No nonsense single EMG passive humbucker perfect for shredding to chunking riffage. I have beast plugged into a Bugera 6262 and it's too good to be true. The EMG Hz H-4 is great, crystal clear and very defined especially with a lot of distoriton, Harmonics sing easily. I play mainly bodom stuff(big suprise), Arch Enemy, pantera, Megadeth, Metallica, paul gilbert sorta stuff and this guitar handels it beautifly, I was also suprised that the cleans from this guitar arnt bad, actually pretty good, just throw in a pedal and ur good to go. It nails basically any tone that is in the rock/metal/death metal genres. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got it, it was tuned in Standard E, me playing death metal immediatly changed it into dropped C, and did some Floyd Rose re ajusting, after that OMG, it was perfect, no fret buzz, low action, perfection..pickup was good no cosmetic flaws at all, the paintjob is perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Live playing, definetly it will stand up to it, but because it's a "v" it has pointy edges so gotta b careful.Hardware is looking good, not much of it but it's gona last.Stap lock are ok, I'd prefer some locking ones, but that's a minor thing.I would depend on this without any hesitation, it's the most gig-able axe out there, it's a beast.finish is rock solid and will definetly last. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said I play metal and this thing is any metal players dream. I've been playing for about 2 years almost and own: Jackson kvx10king v(with DiMarzio superdistortion and the breed pickups), samic Les Paul Copy, while these guitars r good thety don't compare to the edwards. If this thing was stolen id: 1-brutally as possible attack the person Who stole it. 2-decimate their grave for all eternity 3-buy a Dean guitar or bc rich and use the headstock to impale them once again. 4- sell the Dean and get an edwards. I love every aspect of this guitar, I don't mind if it only has one pickup, when ur playing metal there's only so much versatility you need and this monster can handle it. Anything I wish it had?.. Hmm. I'd say a smaller price tag but it was worth the money. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600EC Gus G 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014