Edwards E-RV-138 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
24 XJ frets, ebony fretboard, solid top, alder body, hard maple neck, neck-thru body construction, black finish, Rhoads V body shape with cutaway near 17th fret, original floyd rose floating bridge, gold hardware, 2 active EMG 81's at the neck and bridge, volume, tone knob, and 3-way pickup selector, Deluxe Gotoh tuners, came with soft ESP gig case, 2 allen keys and a socket wrench.
 8.7
 9.6
 7.8
review (1) 25 comments vote for this gear:
Edwards E-RV-138 Reviewed by: dying2live_00, on november 15, 2012

Features: 24 XJ frets, ebony fretboard, solid top, alder body, hard maple neck, neck thru body construction, black finish, Rhoads V body shape with cutaway near 17th fret (identical to the Japanese Alexi Laiho models), original floyd rose floating bridge, gold hardware, 2 active EMG 81's at the neck and bridge, volume, tone knob, and 3-way pickup selector, Deluxe Gotoh tuners, came with soft ESP gig case, 2 allen keys and a socket wrench. // 10

Sound: What can I say, I wanted heavy sound and I got it. the 81's pack a huge punch and are great for heavy and demanding distortion. Unfortunately doesnt't sound very great when clean, but obviously it was meant mainly for heaviness. I just plug it directly into my Marshall 15 watt, which happens to have above average distortion compared to most other amps of the same class. When having the gain knob cranked on full, the heaviness can be very satisfying, yet unless you're very good at playing, you'll notice a lot of unintentional buzzing from the other strings due to the sensitivity. Not a problem for me nowadays after learning proper palm muting techniques and stuff. However these pickups are rich and allow more opportunity for volume as advertised, and cranking the volume up a notch sure adds a lot to the heaviness, while at the same time the pickups do a decent job of compromising the unwanted gain noise at loud volumes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Incredible action, virtually flawless condition from the factory. Even came perfectly tuned straight from the box after shipping internationally. After down-tuning one whole step at D (my preferred tuning), there is noticeable string and fret buzz, which should probably be expected because it came with pretty light string gauge (I'm guessing 9-42? Very well setup, including wiring and tremolo system. Virtually perfect except for sum 0.5 millimeter long green coloured scratch of some sort that I noticed after staring at the headstock in admiration for a couple of minutes. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar looks very durable, I would definitely play it live without worrying about a back up. Hardware looks brand new with it's bright gold color and no signs of damage are prevalent what so ever. Looks like it would last a very very long time and should almost live as long as your able to play guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I always wanted a perfect Rhoads V guitar with 24 frets, and after a long exhausting search this is the perfect guitar for me. Access to higher frets is very effortless and shouldn't be worried about, and fret action as mentioned before is superb. I'm planning to get a guitar processor hopefully to even further obtain that distortion quality I'm looking for, I mostly play heavy neoclassical stuff, and what I love the most is that this guitar has a special classical feel in a way, with it's white binding and ebony fretboard with ivory-like dotted inlays, and it clean, polished look and feel, very very eye catching and I would simply stare at it's beautiful shiny body and hardware and look at my reflection from time to time in awe. Compared to other Rhoads v guitars, almost all of Jackson's Rhoads models have only 22 frets, which is a big deal to me, and I wont even begin to discuss Jackson's unreliable quality features, like crappy intonation and tremolo systems that will need to be attended to periodically (speaking from personal experience). Overall I am very happy about my choice, one thing I should have might done is request a custom string gauge setup before delivery, but that's not a big deal. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014