Grassroots G-FR-62GT Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: Grassroots G-FR-62GT
This guitar suits me very well as I play a lot of metal, visual kei and rock. It has a pretty bright sound but I wouldn't expect warm tones from it.
 7.1
 7.2
review (1) pictures (5) 36 comments vote for this gear:
Grassroots G-FR-62GT Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: € 300

Purchased from: second-hand

Features: This guitar was probably made in Korea like all the other later Grassroot models. 24 frets, 648mm scale, Hard maple 3p neck with a rosewood fretboard and a bolt-on joint with a body made of ash. See thru red finish. A floyd rose licensed bridge, 3 way p.u. selector, double humbuckers volume, tone with tap. // 7

Sound: This guitar suits me very well as I play a lot of metal, visual kei and rock. Using a Roland Cube 20X this sounds pretty good and isn't noisy at all. Thanks to the Duncan designed pickups and tap there is plenty of variety. It has a pretty bright sound but I wouldn't expect warm tones from it. I'll be swapping out pickups soon because the Duncan designed aren't very good. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I bought this second hand, it had been set up by the previous owner who had done a pretty good job adjusting the pickups. The finish has no flaws, simply put: it is outstanding. The Floyd (licensed) was a pain to set up as the previous owner had kept it in place using a battery. Other than that, no flaws. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I believe this guitar will hold up pretty well and can probably withstand live playing. Of course, I'd still bring a backup. The hardware does seem like it will last but it isn't the highest quality. The floyd was a real b-tch to set up as it had been blocked before but after balancing it out it worked out fine. It stays in tune really well and has impressed me a lot. // 6

Overall Impression: This guitar suits my style very well as previously mentioned. I've been playing it for 2 months now and own a LTD F-100FM as well. If it were stolen... Well, I'd be pretty upset as this is a Japan market only model. I absolutely love the body shape and finish and it plays like a dream my favorite feature being the tap on the dual humbuckers. I would however swap out pickups as previously mentioned. // 8

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014