Horizon FR-II With Duncans Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/16/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: Horizon FR-II With Duncans
This guitar is almost a halfway between the NT-II and the FR-II as it has a Floyd like the FR-II but the Duncans like in the NT-II. My overall impression of the guitar is that it is perfect shred machine suited to my every guitaring need.
 8.8
 8.6
review (1) pictures (5) 28 comments vote for this gear:
Horizon FR-II With Duncans Reviewed by: PrimitiveGuitar, on november 16, 2012

Price paid: A$ 2899

Purchased from: Rockshop NZ

Features: 2010 model, Made in Japan. - Super-strat body - Neck-Thru-Body Construction - 25.5" Scale, this doesn't bother me at all, as I don't drop tune because it has a floyd and I just keep it in standard tuning - 24 XJ Frets - Alder Body - Quilted Maple Top - Maple Neck, Ebony Fingerboard - 42mm Locking Nut - Thin you Neck Contour - Chrome Hardware - Black Nickel Hardware - Gotoh Tuners - Floyd Rose Original Bridge <--- this thing can take a pounding and works like a dream. Even after hundreds of dive bombs my guitar is still perfectly in tune. - Seymour Duncan JB (B) / '59 (N) p.u. (passive) - Finish: Black Aqua - Master Volume With Push-Push Coil Split Switch on Volume Control - 3-Way Toggle - Master Tone When I was trying out a bunch of different guitars to buy the shop owner bought out this guitar and the finish blew my mind. The guitar looked so beautiful. The finish is perfect (as you would expect from a Japanese made ESP). This guitar is almost a halfway between the NT-II and the FR-II as it has a Floyd like the FR-II but the Duncans like in the NT-II. This suited me perfectly as I wanted a floyd but I wanted the Duncans as well because the FR-II has the EMG 81/85 set up witch I'm not that keen on, and I think the Duncans sound much better. The locking nut along with the Gotoh tuners with the Floyd work amazing and it is almost impossible for this guitar to go out of tune. The only hardware I have felt the need to change in this guitar was the strap buttons to strap locks. As I would never play a guitar this expensive standing without strap locks! // 9

Sound: I run through this a Peavey 6505-212 (60w valve) using the amps distortion through a DigiTech Bad Monkey tube overdrive and a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal. The pickups on this guitar. WOW (Seymour Duncan JB (B) / '59 (N) p.u. (passive)). They support high gain really well, while still keeping the clarity of the notes. The pickups have a great balance of lows and highs and push the mids really well. Because of the coil tap you have such a range of sounds you can get out of this guitar. Set the coil tap off on this guitar, changing the pickups to single coils can give this guitar an amazing sound, I have run this through my dads Fender Classic and it sounded almost exactly like a nice Fender Strat. The bridge P.U is awesome for metal and shredding, whereas the neck P.U. gives an amazing jazz, blues and rhythm tone. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up was really good on this guitar. No problems with the finish, it looks really nice on the quilted maple top. Even the routing for the Floyd had heaps of work done to it and was painted up and looked nice, it wasn't just a hole on the back of your guitar! I always have one problem with set up. 9-46 string gauge, too loose, I reckon they should come factory with 10-52? I mean this is a guitar suited for metal. But no troubles there it was easy enough to change the strings and re-adjust the Floyd (luckily I knew what I was doing or it could have caused a lot of problems). // 8

Reliability & Durability: The only problem I would have with playing this live is that its such an expensive guitar and I would be so scared to play it on stage in case something happened to it! Apart from that, get the strap buttons changed to strap locks and you will be able to shred for ever as this guitar will never go out of tune, so you wont have to worry about re-tuning every 5 minutes on stage! // 9

Overall Impression: My overall impression of the guitar is that it is perfect shred machine suited to my every guitaring need. Sure it was real expensive, but it was not over priced in the slightest. The features and the build quality speak for themselves that these are some of the finest guitars TAT ESP produces. If you play metal but want a real versatile guitar and are looking for something a class above other guitars then get an ESP Horizon! Thanks for reading. Feel free to comment! // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD F-50 8.3 Electric Guitars 12/19/2014