LTD Alexi-200 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 04/16/2014 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Alexi-200
It features a Thin U shaped neck with 24 jumbo frets, black nickel hardware, 25.5" scale, Floyd Rose locking nut, ESP-LTD tuners, one volume knob, and all the features to the right.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 8.6
reviews (8) pictures (2) 173 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: BulletCrazy, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Andy Owings

Features: This is another crazy Alexi Laiho signature guitar. This is the american ESP version of the Jackson randy rhoads (go to espguitars.com to get the whole story). It's got 24 Jumbo frets and a 25.5" neck scale with a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. It's also got a basswood body (which is fairly lightweight). It comes with either a black of a white finish. The body style comes from the Jackson randy rhoads the ESP Edwards SV and it has Floyd Rose licensed tremolo instead of the original. it's electronics are passive and has only one volume control to got with it's one EMG-ESP LH-300 pickup. it's got the Standard ESP-LTD tuners and black nickel hardware. it's also got alexi's signature sawteeth inlays. // 10

Sound: The Alexi-200 is perfect for and Children Of Bodom songs. I'm using a Fender amp and Boss metal distortion and it's sounds unbelievably great. Not noisy and it has a rich deep sound. Great for harmonics and anything involving the tremolo system. Not very much to say about it other than the fact that it sounds amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up perfectly and it has a properly bookmatched top and a properly routed bridge. The only flaw on mine is that it has a small chip on the bottom where the two part of the V meet. But who cares the store fixed and I got $100 taken off the price. Bt everything else I perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is fantastic for Live playing. Alexi is constantly on tours with his ESP signatures so they were made to be durable and take a beating. Hardware has lasted and will last for a long time. Strap buttons are solid and can hold a good amount of weight. I've used it at gigs before without backups but with and SG in a different tuning. And I'm sure that the finish will last and wont wear off. // 10

Overall Impression: I play basically ever genre of metal and this is a perfect match. I've been playing for about 5 or 6 years. If got a Gibson SG and a Samick tr-1 with a Fender amp and Boss pedals. Nothing I wish I asked and if it were stolen I would hunt the bitch down and if I lost it I would call myself an insane f--k and kill myself. I luv everythin about it. I luv the Floyd Rose licensed the most bcuz SGs and TR-1s only have tune-o-matics. The only thing I can compare it to would be the Jackson Rhoads, but only for the shape. I've never played a Jackson so I don't kno about the sound. it's got everything I've ever wanted out of a guitar. Perfect. // 10

LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: seanbabs, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Sound: The pickup is hot, which captures pinch harmonics really well. However, the pickup lacks some sustain and overall depth. Due to the high output of the pickup, string noise is a factor, but this might be a good thing because it forces you to learn to play clean. The guitar sounds pretty good for heavy, distorted music, and it sounds decent clean. I would say the pickup is slightly better than mid-priced Epiphone guitar pickups. Also, it only has one pickup, and no tone control, so if you don't want a hot pickup, don't buy this guitar. However, the guitar plays very, very well, so replace the pickup and you have a strait up killer axe. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Coming from Musician's Friend to Colorado in the dead of winter, you can't expect the guitar, especially with a Floyd Rose, to be set up perfectly. It took me about 4 hours to set up this guitar properly. If you are new to guitars, or not mechanically inclined, you would need to take it to a shop for set up before playing. However, after setup, I accomplished a perfectly low action, with no buzzes (after numerous truss rod adjustments), and good sustain. The neck is very fast and wide, making this an awesome speed/thrash/shred guitar. I love it! Also this thing looks killer. I liked the way the white guitar looked, but I went with black of a gut feeling. This guitar looks sooo sick with the silver accented hardware against the black body. The finish is nice, and the hardware tops it to make one killer guitar look! // 10

Reliability & Durability: Please, for any guitar, buy strap locks! I know from personal experiance. These strap buttons won't wear out, but if your strap does, kaboom. And the sharp edges and points in this guitar means increased stress concentration areas, so if it is dropped, you are likely to chip off a part of the sharp V points. However, if this guitar isn't dropped, it will last. I can't get it to lose tune, even after numerous divebombs. The only reason I would ever bring another guitar on the set would be to achieve a different sound. I would not be worried about this guitar failing. It is constructed beautifully. // 9

Overall Impression: So the first thing to address is the pickup. Buy the guitar for 421 dollars, and an EMG 81 active pickup for 99. This is a great deal because the guitar plays beautifully, but it just sounds average. There is only one pickup to replace, so do it. For 520 dollars(421 for guitar, 99 for pickup), you will have a guitar that plays just as good as the ESP LTD Alexi 600 (1,100 dollars) and sounds even better! This is a true Diamond, you just got to massage it a little bit before you get a super killer deal! // 10

LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: adamtoddprs, on november 15, 2012

Features: Made in China in 2007. Bolt-on construction. 24 X-tra jumbo frets. Rosewood fingerboard. Maple neck. Pearl sawteeth inlays. Basswood body. Gloss black finish. Randy Rhoads style body (slightly different). ESP liscensed Floyd Rose double locking tremolo. Black nickel hardware. Non-locking ESP tuners. Single passive EMG-ESP humbucker in treble position. Single volume knob. It comes from the factory with ESP owner's manual, tremolo arm, four allen wrenches, and an extra spring. I give the Alexi-200 a 9 in this category because the stock pick-up really sucks, but everything else is great, it's got everything I need and nothing I don't. // 9

Sound: I play a lot of Power Metal and Neo-classical Metal and this guitar handles these styles well. It sounds like it will excel at any style of metal or hard rock, and to my delight, it handles blues and rock very well. I play through a Crate GTD120 combo amp, a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone, and a Boss Noise Supressor. The stock pick-up in this guitar is pretty crappy, that is why this guitar gets a 7 for this category, but I will be installing a Seymour Duncan Dimebucker in about a week. After that, this guitar will be a 10 in my opinion (I love the sound of the Dimebucker, not too bass heavy, cutting treble, scooped mids, and plenty of output). // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup pretty well at the factory, I assume, but it was kinda out of whack by the time it got to me. A few adjustments and some retuning and it plays like butter, the action is nice and low, there is no fret buzz anywhere on the neck, and the tremolo system stays in perfect tune even after numerous divebombs and pulls (contrary to what everyone says about liscensed tremolos), also, the high frets are very easy to reach, despite the bolt-on construction. Everything else was setup perfectly from the factory. The only thing you will need to worry about is the hardware, it seems like it will get rusty with too much sweat (solved by applying gun oil to any metal parts and threaded parts). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar feels very solid. Let me put it this way: If you treat your instrument with love and proper care, it will last a lifetime. If you abuse your instrument, it will not last. Oh, and not that the strap buttons from ESP are bad or anything (they are actually better than most stock strap buttons), but I would invest in a set of straplocks. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar for around 9 years and have played guitars from $99 to $1499. I currently own a Crate GTD120, Fender FM212, numerous effects, an Epiphone Les Paul Custom, a Gibson SG Special Faded, a Schecter Omen 6, a Schecter C-1 Plus, two Fender Stratocasters, an Ovation Acoustic, an Ibanez RG350DX, a Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85), a Paul Reed Smith SE Custom, and this guitar. I have, over the years, formed the opinion that a guitar doesn't have to be thousands of dollars (or even a thousand dollars) to be truly great. This guitar is, in my opinion, better than a lot of guitars costing two or even three times as much. The only thing I have a problem with is the stock pick-up, but that is an easy fix and Who doesn't change pick-ups anyway? I gave this guitar a 10 because I feel like I got an extraordinary guitar at a great price. Also, if you are going to be swayed by the opinions of Jackson loyalists and get the RR-3 instead, just give this one a try first, you might be surprised like I was. // 10

LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: soloXshredder, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: musicians friend

Features: Simple effective guitar. The body is essentially a Jackson RR, but with a longer bottom wing, and the newer models have a bigger cutout to allow easier upper fret access. Bridge humbucker, 1 volume control, licensed Floyd Rose trem, 24 frets, 25.5" scale, basswood body, rosewood fretboard, jumbo frets, thin you maple neck, bolt on, and my favorite part, the sawtooth inlays. Made in china, not sure which year tho. The pickup is a passive ESP/EMG, its not terrible sounding but not amazing, has decent cleans and nice distortion, but its noisy wen the gain is low. ESP ocking tuners, but they always go out of tune before you manage to lock them, so I'd spend ages just to tune my guitar. I gave this a 6 cos the pickup wast that good and the tuners suck, and I would have preferred a neck through, but amazing for the price. // 6

Sound: This guitar is perfect for anu entry level guitarists who are into metal, and also great for advanced metal players. It can do CoB (no sh! T) and a ton of other heavy bands like Machine Head and Slayer. I'm currently using it through an Sp-10 so it's horrible, but I did use it with my friends Randall on the high gain settings and it was awesome, but the pickup was really noisy wen not playing. Don't really use any effects besides wah and it handles it beautifully, and io had the chance to try other effects and they all sound great. This sound is a straight up metal ax. Distortion is were this guitar shines, it responds to pinch harmonics very well, and is perfect for shred. The cleans are ok, but honestly, ur not getting this guitar for the cleans. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: wen I got this guitar it had the factory setup, the trussrod needed a little adjustment, the action needed fixing, and the pup was too low. The floyd was set up properly, contrary to everything else. After 30 mins of tweaking this beast was good to go. Wen I got my one there was snall chip near the neck and a crack on the bottom horn, but I figured since I was gonna add some black stripes to it, I would just redo the paintjob. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This is like what alexi uses on his tours around the world, and since he has no problems I think this guitar is truly gig worthy. I myself use it live without a backup and it has never let me down. the Floyd Rose does seem too good to be true for a licensed trem, I've had it for about 2 months now, and it's still perfect. the finish on it is amazing, I got it black at first then shipped it back for white, which I found better more unique since most of my friends have black guitars, like I said before there were problems with the finish but other than that perfect // 9

Overall Impression: I play any genre of metal and this beast does it perfectly without breaking a sweat. I've been playing for electric for 1 year and classical/ Acoustic for 5. I have a Squier SP-10, an Affinity Squier Strat, Line 6 uber distortion, Dunlop Crybaby, and a nameless Acoustic and a nameless classical. The only things I wish this guitar had was scalloped upper frets (20-24), but that's easily done, and a through neck, but upper fret access and sustain is good, so that's not an issue. If this was stolen, I'd try to find the guy and take it back, if I had no luck, I'd probably save up for another guitar, something like a BC Rich Warlock, or a Schecter. // 8

LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: dementiacaptain, on november 15, 2012

Features: this guitar was made in 2009 i believe. china. 24 frets, black finish, longer scale randy rhoads. has one bridge passive emg-copy by esp. one volume. ESP ltd tuners, licsensed floyd rose. kind of a bare bones setup, obviously oriented to alexi laiho fans wit a smaller budget. basswood body, maple neck rosewood fretboard. // 7

Sound: I play mostly technical death metal and thrash on the electric, and this guitar is suited well to these styles. The neck is very quick, and their is just a plain non gloss finish, which makes sliding up and down it faster. Im playing it through a Marshall valvestate(old school with reverb) hooked into a Marshall mc 412 cab, with a just a noise suppressor and eq. if u place the eq in front of the amp instead of in the effects chain, u can use it like a highly adjustable od pedal like i do. this provides more sustain for solos and leads, which the valvestate lacks. the sound i get from the guitar is always very mid heavy, but that is alexis tone, so i suppose that would make since. it achieves a c.o.b. tone, with perhaps more grit and not as smooth. very good for shred or thrash in my opinion, though some death metal deathcore players will miss the extra gain. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: from guitar center the guitar was setup alright, but there was fret buzz in just one fret, the second on the third string, kind of weird. i also had to lower the pickup because i was scraping it when i played on the 22 and 23 fret. the bridge has a good amount of push and pull space. volume knob doesnt have alot of reaction on od channels, but clean is fine. on od it is more of a killswitch, the level doesnt change until about where 1 or 2 would be. // 6

Reliability & Durability: this guitar is tough, and id trust it for live playing without a backup, though backups are always good, i havnt had the chance to use it outside of practice yet. i replace the strap buttons on impulse but the stock were fine. everything on the guitar is sturdy, very dependable, trusting you arent throwing across the room, tho ive done that and it wasnt worse for wear. // 9

Overall Impression: this guitar is a great one for me, but i am a mid heavy person. i love the tone, tho more gain could be there. love it. hope this review is more helpful than some on this site. i compared it to several similarly priced Jackson and deans, as well as some off brands, and went with this. good buy // 8

LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: jeffmetalhead, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: A$ 699

Purchased from: Ebay (Second hand from Noise Music in Melb)

Features: Built in China Gloss white in colour Bolt on neck 3 piece maple neck, 24 frets with white biding including headstock, rosewood fingerboard with pearl (or something that looks like pearl) sawtooth inlays ESP Floyd Rose ESP tuners 25.5 scale Basswood body (the version with the cut out for better fret access) ESP LH-301 humbucker (was replaced, more on this later) One Volume // 7

Sound: I play metal and only metal and the original pick up was just your average humbucker but still nice, but having said that I played this guitar Brand New in a shop for a while and the one I got came from ebay second-hand with a different pick up which I won't comment on. Now I replaced the pick up with Alexi's EMG-HZ signature pickup with a ABQ push pull volume knob and now it sounds like a beast! (Check EMG website for more info). I've set it up for drop-C and its got very chunky lows and awesome ringing highs. The sustain on this guitar is average due to the bolt-on neck, but with the new pickup it's a little better but a lot better with the ABQ engaged but still average. Harmonic divebombs and other techniques using the ESP floyd has a nice feel to the guitar like it's a solidly built guitar, but if you do a Alexi style natural harmonic divebomb (or whatever its called) at the 15th F and A (g and b string for standard players, Children Of Bodom guitar players will know what I'm taking about) the harmonic will break up and turn to string noise as you pull the bar up, but my intonation is pretty much spot on so I don't know if it's the guitars fault or my set up fault. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar I played in the shop was set up nicely in standard, and the action and pickup height was fine as far as I can remember, but it was in store so the owners probably went over it before displaying it. Now the guitar I own is a second hand one which had a scratch on the back of the upper v horn and was cheap over ebay which is why I bought it, and I can't fault this guitar on any finishing flaws. // 7

Reliability & Durability: If you look after your guitar it will last, its just common sense. The hardware seems like it will last except for the tunerswhich are ESP designed. I use Alexi's DR 10-56 gauge on this guitar for drop C and the heavier string tuners seem to struggle with the tension but they are lasting just fine. The strap buttons are solid and in a nice position on the guitar for a proper standing V guitar position, but like all the guitars I own I've replaced them for Schaller locking ones. I would gig with guitar but I would have a back up in case of Sting breakage as most guitarist would do if the had a guitar with a floyd. The paint on this guitar seems fine to me but like all guitars if it you drop it etc it will chip or break something off of it. // 7

Overall Impression: I play metal only and I'm a big fan of Children Of Bodom so naturally I would want his signature model and play metal, but I'm sure you can play something boring and soft on this guitar but why would you? (I also so recently got a Edwards Al-166 Pink sawtooth and I will be making a review when I've played it long enough to make a decent and informative review but so far its just awesome) It's a great bottom of the range guitar which can be improved with some cash which is why I bought this guitar in the first place (to do up). I've changed the pickup and put some black stripes to make it look like the Alexi LTD-600. If it were lost or stolen I would save up more money for a V guitar with a neck through/set neck just because. But if I were to get a bottom of the range V guitar again I would get this again due to the fact it's the best value for money and easiest to play because of the extra cut out for better fret access which is probably the best feature on the V guitar. What other brand of a low price V guitar has all these features? I don't care if it doesn't have a second pickupI rarely use it on my other guitars anyway, but to each his own. // 8

LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: ZOMGACOW, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 550

Purchased from: Tom Lee

Features: I bought this guitar in 2008, so I own the 2008 model. It only has one pickup (bridge), so it's basically built for metal. The neck is maple, and the body is basswood, as opposed to the alder body of the Alexi-600. Many people believe that basswood is sonically inferior to alder in every aspect because it is cheaper, but in reality just gives a slightly different and warmer sound. Given the soft nature of basswood, it tends to smooth out sharp highs and deep lows, leading to more pronounced mid-range, similar to Alexi's tone circa 1999-2001. The only thing that alder wood has over basswood is that it will not dent as easily. But if you are taking good care of your guitar, this should not be a big issue. This maple + basswood combination boosts its sustain, and gives more bite to the highs that were originally dampened by the basswood; working together to give a brighter tone. The guitar is fitted with 24 extra jumbo frets, with a fast neck; a shredder's best friend. It is also equipped with a Licensed Floyd Rose, which is not as good as an Original Floyd Rose in terms of quality, but LFR's made by ESP are generally very good (from my experience), and the difference in feel and sound is not too bad. There is no tone control - it is always on the highest, but there is one volume control. The pickup it comes with is the ESP LH-301 in the bridge, which I will go into more detail about later on in the review. For the price of the guitar, the features get an 7/10 from me. I docked 2 points for the crappy stock pickup, and 1 for the LFR. // 7

Sound: This guitar is perfect for me as I am a metal guitar player. I like fast solos and I like heavy riffs. However, if you do decide on this guitar, you must switch the pickup to get the most out of your guitar. Because the stock pickup will make your guitar sound as if you don't have your distortion turned up all the way, and is sort of muddy sounding overall. I changed the pickup sometime in 2009 to a Seymour Duncan Blackout AHB-1 in the bridge, and the difference was amazing. I still use the Blackout to this day. The highs are more crisp, the mid-range is fresh, and the lows were nice and heavy. It sounds virtually indistinguishable from an Alexi-600 once you get a good pickup installed (and a good amplifier to run the sound on of course). Taking into account the stock parts and the price I paid for the guitar, I would give the sound a 7. I will not let my own customization of the guitar influence the rating because this is a review on the guitar without aftermarket parts installed. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was set up in E standard at the factory, the action was at a perfect position so as to eliminate fret buzz while still remaining easy to navigate around. No complaints here. It's nice to know that ESP/LTD puts the same amount of attention and care into making their more affordable guitars as they do the higher end models. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played shows with this guitar, and it kills live. It is made quite well in my opinion, and I can safely depend on this. I have used this guitar for shows without a backup and it has been very good to me. This guitar will last you a long time if you take good care of it. But this applies to almost any guitar. If you don't take good care of anything, it won't last. Keep it in a case when you're not playing it, clean it when you have time, and wash your hands before playing and you won't be disappointed. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing this guitar for around 4 years, and it is actually my first guitar. This is my main guitar, and I don't think I'll ever sell it because of the sentimental value it has to me. Not to mention that the Seymour Duncan Blackout I installed in the bridge makes the tone I get on this beast sound absolutely killer. This is my go-to guitar for anything metal. I love this guitar because it looks and sounds metal. The V shape is extremely aggressive and I've gotten many compliments from people telling me that my guitar looks cool. If this were stolen or lost... I'm not sure what I would do. I might get another guitar. The reasons I keep this guitar around is because I have achieved a good tone with it as a result of customizing and finding a good tone with it by tweaking my rig, and it is also my first guitar so I would never sell it. But if it were stolen, buying it again and doing everything over would be pointless, so I might just move on to another guitar. But I love my ESP LTD Alexi-200 and for those of you who don't want to spend over $1000, get this guitar, and change the pickup to whatever you want, EMG, Seymour Duncan, or DiMarzio, and you'll have a unique, tonally great sounding guitar. For this section, I will average up the scores from the sections before and grade it based on that. 34/40 = 85% 8.5/10. Since there is no 8.5 on the scale, it will show up as 8/10. Hope this review helped! // 8

LTD Alexi-200 Reviewed by: shazlar13, on april 16, 2014

Features: The guitar is a Chinese model in Snow White. Although the most basic version of the Alexi Laiho // 6

Sound: The pick-up is by far from the best but also far from the worst. The harmonics are not the best I've heard and when trying to do pinch harmonics, they are very distant and without any real body to them. However this is all through distortion, when switched to a clean output, the pick-up sounds surprisingly nice, with a nice warm tone to it. If you want to use the guitar for anything really heavy or fast, switch to any decent Seymour Duncan or replace with the Alexi Laiho pick-up from EMG. I'd also recommend sticking with passive pick-ups just so that there isn't any need to take out anymore wood for batteries making the guitar even lighter than it already is. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar has a nice feel to it, this finish is very solid and construction is great, no gaps at all and strong as anything. The guitar itself is very light, this will be due to the basswood but either way still feels like a solid instrument, the strap buttons should be replaced with strap locks (as with any instrument), the tuners are also rather solid and hold their tune well (this is also helped by the locking nut to hold everything when fine-tuning has been done). Overall, the guitar feels good for it's price, my only issue is with the weight of the instrument. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't think this guitar would withstand live playing. Firstly due to how light the guitar is, it feels like it would break, I wouldn't use it as a back-up, more just as a practice instrument when at home so I don't have to keep pulling out the hard case to get to my Alexi-600 Greeny. The hardware on the other hand is perfectly reliable and should last a good few years before needing to be properly serviced. The only thing is to be patient with bridge, these can be a pain in the a-se to set up if you aren't used to them. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall I feel this is a good guitar for people looking to go straight into having a Rhoads style guitar, without the huge price tag, however, you get less than what you pay for in my opinion, the guitar doesn't weigh as much as it should however the hardware feels sturdy and will last, above all however, replace the shoddy pick-up! Also buy a hardcase just to keep the instrument safe, with these shapes of guitars you can never be to careful. As with alot of cheap // 6

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600EC Gus G 9.1 Electric Guitars 10/06/2014