LTD Alexi-600 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 11/15/2012 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD Alexi-600
The new LTD Alexi-600 offers a striking V-shaped alder body. The guitar has a neck-thru 25.5 in. design, using a 3-piece Maple neck with a 24-fret Ebony fingerboard and saw-tooth inlays.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.9
 8.9
reviews (7) pictures (5) 114 comments vote for this gear:
LTD Alexi-600 Reviewed by: O00Coolzero00O, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: The new LTD Alexi-600 offers a striking V-shaped alder body available in 2 finishes: Black w/Yellow stripe and White w/Black stripe. The guitar has a neck-thru 25.5 in. design, using a 3-piece Maple neck with a 24-fret Ebony fingerboard and saw-tooth inlays. The LTD Alexi includes White binding on neck and head, and comes with professional-quality components including a Floyd Rose original tremolo, Grover tuners, and a single EMG HZ H-4 pickup. // 9

Sound: I purchased my 2006 Alexi from a eBay seller and since then it has been nothing but amazing. Despite it's short comings having a single humbucker (a EMG HZ which others will say sounds rather sterile) and one volume pot (in which others will argue it's like having your tone set to ten and then fiddling around till you find your sweet spot for the sound you want to have). The EMG HZ that was in the guitar really held it's own with my Laney GH100TI (all tube Tony Iommi tube head). As for the volume pot I can still get a great tone out of it, from a dark sabbath like tone to Metallica to Children Of Bodom(no duh), but then again it all depends on your rig as well. In the end this guitar is a metal guitar and does justice to be so. I recently also just upgraded all the hardware in the guitar with a EMG 81 and EMG PA-2 (an afterburner with 20 dB with the flip of a Switch, it's the same that Alexi Laiho has in his guitar). The active really just is amazing with such clarity, and strength (each pickup have their own distinct sound and tone which I both loved but I have a preference for EMG active pickups, and why have a pickup that mimics a 81 when you can have the real thing). The guitar just Rips like no other especially with my Laney half stack and MXR ZW-44 pedal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action when I purchased it from ebay need to be desperate need of a floydrose being setup and also to change the tuning to a whole step down from Standard, but more so that is the fault of the seller and not ESP. After getting it setup, the guitars actions is lower than Britney Spears sex appeal ratings after she shaved her head. The neck and slim and fantastic to run up and down. I personally would prefer if the neck was unpainted and natural (which comes Standard on the ESP custom shop models), but that's just me. The floydrose keeps her in tune even when she doesn't want to be. It can really take a beating I've dive bombed over and over with it and whammed like no other and it still holds a tuning. The Grover tuners really just help it in hold in tune as well, I have them on my Epiphone Zakk wylde les paul (with EMG 81/85)and she holds in tune fantasticly as well. The finish is what made me fall in love with this guitar it was perfect all around, other than some cosmetic flaws in which the previous owner chipped the tips of the fins on it to the wood, but very slight and small chippings ( but I can deal). The white coloring for the body is just flawless with the black pinstripes around the outline for the guitar and is a real eye catcher. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can take a beating and keeping going, the floydrose really holds up with what I throw at it, from dive bombs to palm muting. The hardware seems to keep up. I truthfully would depend on it if I had to gig with it. The previous owner installed Dunlop strap locks on it to insure that it can't have any unexpected accidents when attached to a strap. // 9

Overall Impression: The LTD ESP Alexi-600 is a good metal guitar outright and more so I bought it because it a great guitar and can hold it's own. If this guitar was lost or stolen that guy Who did it better pray that I never find him, but if it was I would definitely replace it, it's a great guitar and after all the mods even more worth while. // 10

Price paid: A$ 3000

Purchased from: Cranbourne Music

Features: This is actually a review of the ESP Alexi Blacky but this is the closest category to put it under. Its a 2010 Japanese made ESP. 24 frets (top 6 are scalloped), Original Floyd Rose bridge. Passive pickup. 1 volume knob and gain boost switch. included was a hard case. // 9

Sound: I play in a melodic death metal band and it is absolutly perfect for it, I play it through a Line 6 Spider valve 3 head and Randall cab and it sounds really chunky on my distortion setting. Cleans are a little too boosted but its to be expected with just the one pickup. it doesnt't have much of a veriety but it is a signiture so its aimed at people who want to play the same sort of music as Alexi. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfectly setup, perfect action, low enough to be fast but high enough to eliminate fret buzz. The pickup was perfect distance from the strings. All details had been double and triple checked. The only downside was the stock strings which I found a little light but thats because I play in drop c, if you play in Standard or drop d it would be fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I am positive this guitar will stand up to a beating live. I always carry a backup but I doubt I will need it with this. Came with strap locks already on the guitar and the locks for your strap if you don't already have them, so no worrys about it falling off. The finish is definately heavy duty I've knocked it a few times and no evidence of the hit. // 10

Overall Impression: As I stated above I play melodic death metal and this guitar is perfect for it. I've been playing for 5 years now and haven't played a guitar better than this one. It wouldn't be much good for blues or jazz but you wouldn't buy one for that now would you. Anyone who plays heavy music needs this guitar. // 10

Purchased from: Motor City Guitar

Features: I am lucky enough to own one of few Alexi 600's that has been signed by Alexi himself. the autograph is located above the bridge. What can I say, it makes the guitar better in my eyes. Thank you ESP/LTD. Back to the review.... The axe was made in Korea, features 24 frets with scythe inlays. The color is called scythe white and have black pinstripes. (the new Alexi 600) not the bold black pinstripes. The neck is a natural finish which allows incredible action. // 10

Sound: AMAZING. I suggest to replace the stock EMG HZ with Alexi's signiture EMG. The guitar screams. This guitar also has alot of diveristy, I play many types of geners. What can I say this guitar can suit mostly every style. I would give the sound a 7 with the stock EMG, but after installing Alexi's signiture the sound recieves a 10! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up would have been great if I played in standard. haha. The flord rose is not that big of a pain to set up. Everything esle (hardware, pickup, etc) was great. This was my first F.R. I have reads many reviews saying the F.R is hard to set up... I'm 18 and figured out how to set the action, bridge etc. without a problem. If your intimidated by the F.R then just take it to any guitar shop. (preferably the shop you always go to) // 10

Reliability & Durability: This axe will withstand much abuse. Feels durable and its never let me down. The case can fit a person in it so I'm not to worried about the guitar getting dinged up or thrown around. The finish seems to be holding up very well. Except around the corners, theres not much you can do about that. Besides guitars are maent to have some character. for an example look at Rory Gallagher's guitar. RIP Rory. // 10

Overall Impression: AMAZING. This guitar is from hell. Complete B.A. I wish the guitar case was lighter. Boy is it a work out carrying the case. I recieved comments like is that a coffin. The case is huge. But never the less I'm 5'8'' and weigh around 130. I'm sure that has something to do with its wieght problem. The onl other downfall is the stock EMG p.u. Not that big of a deal though. Just get it replaced. The stock pick up sounds scretchy and warm. there's not enough ummphh. // 10

LTD Alexi-600 Reviewed by: kneeseb, on november 15, 2012

Features: It has 24 frets, alder and a maple neck which is one of the fastest necks I've ever played. It also features a very shiny ebony finger board which gives of a very clear tone. it has one volume controling the single EMG hz fh2, unfourtunatly it's passive but I think it would be a shame to change it. grover tuner (black) and neck through body. overall very nice. // 10

Sound: I do a lot of down picking and legato techniques and I enjoy playing things such as cannibal corpse, Arch Enemy etc. and it really does respond well. I run it through a mesa/boogie dual recitifier (buy it it's awesome! ) and in terms of effects I use a Ibanez tube screamer for distortion sounds and a Boss super overdrive for solos. I have various other delays and chorus but I tend not to use them.The EMG pickup (passive) is not my favoured pickup as I usully play active pickups but it's good for what it's worth. There are hardly any fuzzes or any other noises and it's great for noise-gate stuff. if you turn down the volume you get a sweet bluesy sound (ur hardly gonna play stuff like that on this axe! ) a crank it up again and if gives you that ballsy almost les paul tone. Apart from the pickup it's awesome! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I didn't have to set-up this guitar. it already had a low action. it's neck-thru, which rules, and it's got no finish on the neck so it's extra fast. The Floyd Rose bridge was setup just right and from what I can see it has no dings or scratches. My one is white white with black pin-stripes but you can get it also in black with yellow pin-stripes. Although I'm giving it a good a good revuew in this departmwnt so far it did have a very loose volume pot which was SSSOOO pissing me off! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I play in bands and it does hold up well I've had beers and stuff like that and there was no sticky shit on the finish. I've never ever broken a string on stage either. A strap button has fallen of but I placed it on again and it seems to be fine. the hardware is fine, none of the black has come off, then again I don't think grovers wher-out easily!. this is definetly a trusty and relieable guitar and plan to keep on using it till te end of time! // 10

Overall Impression: Wow! what can I say. it's a awesome guitar a few problems here and there nothing to big. As I said it's a shame about teh pickup but I aint gonna change it! it's great though it's abit expensive but it's great. Thanks for reading and don't forget to add me! // 10

LTD Alexi-600 Reviewed by: SlipKnoT_M666, on november 15, 2012

Features: This guitar is an Alexi Laiho Pink signature series V with a mahogany body and a Ultra-thin maple neck with Pink sharktooth inlays, it has a Rosewood fretboard with 24 jumbo frets, it's also equipped with a single Seymour Duncan humbucker, it only has a volume control and nothuing else but tou can still get a good tone out of it, it has a locked bridge. // 9

Sound: Because of the single humbucker you can't really play a lot of styles... it's mainly a guitar to play metal and hard rock, I use a Peavey 5150 so I can get a good variation of sound and tone, it has a crunchy metal tone when fully distorted and a clear tone when clean, it plays very smooth and is able to slide with exteme ease, it handles solo's well (depends if you can play solos I suppose). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is superbly set up, with this guitar I can honestly say has no flaws... only a mior problem that if it's not well looked after the spikes can probably be chipped and damaged, I think it would be hard to do because irs such a solid guitar, pick ups are well adjusted for sure! // 8

Reliability & Durability: It would be a great guitar for Live playing (as Alexi proves). the hardware will last, the hardware is very reliabeand will not easily wear, it very dependable and im positive it will not break and/or crack on stage, the finish is well done and has no hope of wearing at all!!! as for the strap buttons, they are bigger than usual and i find them better // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and this is a perfect match. if it were stolen, I would hunt the thief down, beat the absolute shit out of them and take my trusy guitar back off their thieving asses!!!! I love everything about this guitar, fave feature is the the Pink sharktooth inlays. I wish it had double humbuckers. bt it only having a single one humbucker doesn't mind me at all. I'm more than happy with it... Bottom line is: it's the best, most "perfect for anyone" guitar! // 9

LTD Alexi-600 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Features: This is actually a review of the ESP Alexi Blacky but this is the closest category to put it under. Its a 2010 Japanese made ESP. 24 frets (top 6 are scalloped), Original Floyd Rose bridge Passive pickup 1 volume knob and gain boost switch included was a hard case. // 9

Sound: I play in a melodic death metal band and it is absolutly perfect for it, I play it through a Line 6 Spider valve 3 head and Randall cab and it sounds really chunky on my distortion setting. Cleans are a little too boosted but its to be expected with just the one pickup. it doesnt have much of a veriety but it is a signiture so its aimed at people who want to play the same sort of music as Alexi. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came perfectly setup, perfect action, low enough to be fast but high enough to eliminate fret buzz. the pickup was perfect distance from the strings. all details had been double and triple checked. the only downside was the stock strings which i found a little light but thats because i play in drop c, if you play in Standard or drop d it would be fine. // 10

Reliability & Durability: i am positive this guitar will stand up to a beating live. i always carry a backup but i doubt i will need it with this. Came with strap locks already on the guitar and the locks for your strap if you dont already have them, so no worrys about it falling off. The finish is definately heavy duty ive knocked it a few times and no evidence of the hit. // 10

Overall Impression: as i stated above i play melodic death metal and this guitar is perfect for it. ive been playing for 5 years now and havent played a guitar better than this one. it wouldnt be much good for blues or jazz but you wouldnt buy one for that now would you. Anyone who plays heavy music needs this guitar. // 10

LTD Alexi-600 Reviewed by: aneesh_thunga, on november 15, 2012

Price paid: C$ 999

Purchased from: Steve's music store

Features: Mine was made in Korea. It has 24 extra jumbo frets with a scale length of 25.5. It is a neck through construction with a 3 piece maple neck and alder body wings. The neck has a sort of satin feel to it but it is unpainted. The body is white with black pinstripes and has a clear coar finish. It has a floyd rose 1000 series and a single EMG HZ passive humbucking pickup. There are not much controls except a single volume knob (which lies in 10 anyway). I'm not sure about the tuners but they are non locking (it has a locking nut obviously). And most importantly it is personally hand signed by Alexi himself. // 10

Sound: I bought this guitar to play fast metal licks and riffs, which it handles excellently 'cause that is what it's made for. Currently I own a crappy Line 6 Micro Spider and a Boss Metal Zone but it still manages to sound super great. I haven't heard any noise from it so far. I only play metal (all sub genres)so I know it sounds good for that. I dunno if it sounds good for other genres as I really don't know much about them. Even with my bad amp I can hear the smooth sound of the guitar, the kind which we have come to expect from Children Of Bodom. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action is perfectly adjusted so that there is no fret buzz anywhere on the neck. The intonation is of the level which can be expected on top end guitars-meaning it is near perfect. I feel the pickup can be a tiny bit higher than it already is and I will be adjusting it soon. It has no flaws except a very small stain on the floyd rose bridge which is removed easily with a stain remover and the left end of the fret-board (the part after the 24th fret) seems to have been filed off. These flaws don't affect the sound or the life in anyway. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar seems solid, so it can breeze through live playing provided it has strap locks. I don't believe in strap buttons even if the are solid. This is my second electric guitar so I might as well take the other one just in case something a string or two breaks. Better safe than sorry. The finish seems good. It came fully shiny and it still is after almost a month. Even the fretboard wood is shiny. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all genres of metal and it suits all of them. I have been playing for more than two years and I feel I need a bit more experience to make the most of this guitar. I own a cheap Chinese copy of Les Paul which is very good but this guitar is like nothing I have played before. I love everything about it except the fact it came with a passive pickup. I love the shape and the floyd rose which stays in tune no matter what. I only wish this had some magic power which would make me play like Alexi Laiho when I touch it. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD GUS-600 FR Gus G Signature 7 Electric Guitars 09/11/2014