LTD AX-350 Review

manufacturer: ESP date: 01/12/2015 category: Electric Guitars
ESP: LTD AX-350
TI features a sharp new body shape and headstock, neck-thru-body construction, a custom "tribal graphic" inlay on the neck, EMG HZ-4 humbucker, and Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-thru-body.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Features: 9.3
 9.1
 9.5
 8.7
reviews (3) pictures (1) 17 comments vote for this gear:
LTD AX-350 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 15, 2012

Purchased from: Axe Music Edmonton

Features: These aren't in production anymore, cause they're only making 250's, 50's, and 400's. 24 XJ frets on this. Very playable guitar. This guitar's body shape's like no other, but a lot of people that see it describe it as being a BC Rich, which gets to me, cause I dislike BC Rich guitars in the first place. Tune-O-Matic bridge on it with a neck through body. All black hardware. EMG HZ-H4 passive pickups. 1 volume, 1 tone, and 3-way toggle to go through the 2 pickups. ESP locking tuners on it. This guitar doesn't come with anything but the guitar itself, but it's a great buy. // 10

Sound: I love rock, punk, and metal and if you're looking for a heavy sound, this guitar delivers it and then some, despite only having passive pickups. its got a full, warm tone on it, but sometimes, if the gain's up way too high, or the settings are off, you'll get feedback (having your computer screen on and the guitar within 2 feet of it creates static through the amp). This guitar's got its own sound, with a unique build I wouldn't trade for the world. I've played this guitar with my friend's Peavey 5150 stack, another friend's Roland Jazz Chorus, and my sister's Danelectro 15 watt Nifty Fifty, and delivers great sound through anything it's plugged into. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar's build is amazing. Having the pickup set up stock is perfect, and the bridge setting isn't too tight, or loose at all for any music style. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will deliver your way through recording or live play at any given point in time. the hardware's durable as ever. You can definitely play this guitar live without anything backing it up. Everything on this guitar's very solid. It'll go through hell and back and come out kicking more ass than ever before. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of rock, punk, and metal, and this guitar provides nothing but amazing sound for anything you put it up to. I've only been playing guitar for just under 19 months, but I'd never buy another guitar. If this guitar gets stolen, lost, or broken, someone's going to die, and I'm going to find another one if I have to go overseas to find one. // 10

LTD AX-350 Reviewed by: Deviantmind, on november 15, 2012

Features: The ESP AX-350 was made in Korea, but raised in NZ by a neglectful owner, Until I picked it up. -This fearsome beast delivers a warm tone straight from the two passive EMG HZ Pick ups, sitting above a grim tune-O-Matic bridge. -Mahogany BC rich warlock-like body covered in an evil black gloss finish. -Set-thru construction. -Three piece maple neck -One tone, One volume, Three way toggle. The one thing I didn't like is how broad and uncomfortable it is to cradle such a thing. I get jabbed in the thighs by the cutaway all the time. And I generally didn't like how wide it was. // 8

Sound: The AX-350 delivers a crunchy roaring sound that no other guitar has when I add lots of distortion and high treble. I have used it through quite a few amps, but the one I'm using now is the Marshall HDFX half-stack. For some reason when I am facing diagonal to the side of my amp you don't get as much width and mid to the sound, which is odd. You can also juice a nice mellow jazzy sound if you have the right settings. This guitar is quite suitable and all-rounded but it's never going to tear through mortal flesh unless you'v unlocked it's full potential, which is full distortion mode. Honestly, this guitar was designed just for metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I had no problems with the action. However I did have some fretbuzz along the tenth fret on A and D string, which was probably from the previous user. Gaybuzz. But ah well. Nonetheless, I received the guitar with nothing but a few back lashes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has pure solid steel balls. I'v knocked it over count-less times, stepped on it and even spilled water on it. And to this day it is still in pristine condition, and acts like there has been no abuse in its history. I could depend on this guitar at a gig, but I would probably have to get the wiring fixed since the audio cuts out every now and then when I hit the volume. On the finish is a load of indents and backlashes, but an audience could never spot one! The AX350 was certainly built to last. It has indeed been 2 years with this, and it still produces some phat shizz. // 10

Overall Impression: I'm usually playing some chunk, and this guitar serves me well. I'd like to think this would be so much better with a Floyd Rose or a whammy bar of some kind, but since it is string-thru it's not going to happen. Anyways ESP I'd like you to think about that one! I own a beaten up bright cherry Fender squire, The AX350, A Walden Classical guitar and a Sonic Acoustic (I don't know what the series is or anything) And out of the lot this is the most expensive, coming upto $1800! Which has dropped by 300, so those who are thinking about buying this can do so and save some cha-ching. Sadly the manufacturers of ESP have discontinued the product, and added more guitars in the AX series. So if you ought to buy one, your going to be getting it second hand or looking at your bare palms. // 8

LTD AX-350 Reviewed by: josh.h.biggs, on january 12, 2015

Features: The 24XJ frets feel great for this guitar, the neck is a little thinner than some of the other ltd necks, not as thin as an Ibanez Wizard, but thinner than the rest, which I find great for my large hands. A solid top gloss black finish, the body made of mahogany with a maple neck which is gloss black over and neck-thru construction for AMAZING sustain. Body shape is very close to a B.C. Rich Warbeast but with more curves. A TOM bridge which surprisingly on this guitar I think is the best thing for it as compared to a hip-shot hard-tail or some other fixed bridge. Passive EMG HZ H4 bridge H4A neck. 1 vol 1 tone and a three way switch (no taps). And standard LTD tuners. Almost forgot, rosewood fret board, and lets not forget the BEAUTIFUL "tree of life" (i think thats what its called) inlays. They glow in the light so great for when I'm on stage. Another thing that you cant see in pictures, the binding along the neck is white with black dots so its easy to see on stage, and makes the guitar look really sexy from the side. And the all black hardware makes this thing look BRUTAL. // 10

Sound: I play metal, metalcore, and so many sub-genres I wouldn't be able to fit in this review, so I was looking for something versatile. I personally don't like Active pickups unless I'm playing on a 9 string and some 8 strings. The pickups are clear, despite the hate they get. Very comparable to SD Distortions. They handle me tuning all the way down to drop G (on a six, yes, I know, I'm crazy). I play through a Marshall AVT 150 half-stack with a custom cabinet and some pedals for external push to give me a nice hardcore punchy sound. It's a great amp for a hybrid. The hum protection is great, I stand right next to the half stack and get very little from it even when I put the guitar right in front of it with a high gain setting. But give yourself a little space if you are planning on cranking it. The metal sound is great, if you want a punchy mid more modern tone, or even if you want a classic scooped metal tone. They really fit this guitar with it's distinctive shape and mahogany body! Only slight thing is that they aren't perfect, can be a little gainy when on cleans, but honestly, switching to the middle position is absolutely a beautiful thing to do. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I got this guitar used for about half the usual price so I was expecting it to be set up carelessly. I was wronger than i had ever been. FIRST thing I did was change the strings, they were beyond rusted and gross, but that's not the guitar's fault :D I slapped on my Skinny Top Heavy Bottom 10-52 Ernie Ball strings and in about 7 minutes and no post adjustment whatsoever, my action was so low with NO fret buzz I wasn't sure it was possible. I did get it used, but even then, there were only two nicks in the guitar, one on the bottom tooth (which looks like a spot where that could easily happen if dropped down to hard and you cant see it unless you are behind me looking in very closely) and another by the neck pickup which is about the size of the head of a pen, which really isn't noticeable unless you get VERY close. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is pretty dang tough. ESP/LTD builds their guitars very well. Take it on tour, to your school to show off, even your friends house, it'll be fine. Guitars like this always look so delicate like the teeth will fall off or snap easy, but it is solid. Use it as a primary, or backup, either way, you'll be fine! And the strap buttons are nice too, just make sure they are screwed in all the way. Also the comfort is a very good mentioning point for this monster. With cuts on both the side and bottom, you have two sitting style options, you can sit with it like a V between your legs, or across your leg like any other guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is great for everything. I've gotten bluesy classic tones from this thing by switching pickups. I've been playing for about 8 years now. This is probably the best guitar I've owned. Keep an eye out if you find them. They cost about $550 new, but they stopped production, and you can find them used for about $300 if anyone is will to let go of theirs. I love ESP/LTD products and this guitar is just another reason why. If I lost this guitar, I'd scramble all over the internet to find another. No I wouldn't look for the 360 because I don't like active pickups. I may or may not change the pickups to SD invaders, but I like the way the covers look on this thing so I'll probably leave it alone. I have 2 other LTD guitars and this is the best one. // 10

More ESP reviews rating category latest review
+ LTD MH-53 8.2 Electric Guitars 08/31/2015
+ LTD V-50 8.5 Electric Guitars 08/25/2015
+ LTD M-100FM 8.6 Electric Guitars 08/03/2015
+ LTD M-17 8.6 Electric Guitars 07/13/2015
+ Edwards E-CS-140 Crying Star Classic Galneryus Syu 7.5 Electric Guitars 07/09/2015
Comments